Elliot's Return

Guest TelephotoMarigold

Chapter 10

Ella stood barefoot in the kitchen making her famous vegetable soup watching her husband as he made them some bread. She saw the raw powerful force tailored to knead the dough just right and grinned.

“What are you grinning at?” he asked.

“I’m just admiring the view.” She told him and saw him grin.

“You like this huh?” he asked with a chuckle.

She nodded.

“I could swear you have more muscles now.” She said with another admiring glance.

He leaned over and kissed her.

“Rachel said we couldn’t so don’t even think of starting anything.” He told her in a husky whisper.

She put her hands on her hips and looked at him.

“I’m sure there are lots of things we could do.” She pointed out and heard him moan softly under his breath. “You know just like rediscovering each other all over again.”

He lifted his dough-covered hands from the bread he was kneading and put them on either side her face as he kissed her, hearing her squeal in protest.

He chuckled and kissed her again.

“I did do a bit of working out. Some running too.” He admitted and gasped as he felt her hands pushing up his T-shirt and caressing his newly taut stomach.

“So you did.” She murmured.

He kissed her again before whispering in her ear.

“My thigh muscles are very toned too.”

She looked at him and blushed.

“Ok you win.” She admitted defeat.

He laughed and turned to the sink to wash his hands.

“You seem to have some flour on your face.” He told her.

She glared at ham and went upstairs to the bathroom to wash her face.

He put the bread to rise and turned the heat on the pan of soup before picking up the newspaper and sitting at the table to read it.

She came down a moment later and looked at him.

“I think I need to go to the hospital.”

He stood at her words and walked over to her.

“Ok.” he said quickly. “Any cramps?”

She shook her head.

“It’s going to be ok. “ he murmured and kissed her again.

She shivered and he put his arms around her for a reassuring hug before moving to switch off the cooker and grabbing his keys. They went out to the car and he caught sight of someone watching them from a distance. He couldn’t make out whom but he guessed it was Elliot. He made a show of double-checking the door was shut and locked while he scoped out the person.

Climbing into the car he made a call using his hands free warning Mike to stay away the house was being watched and then contacting Jacko to make sure the kids were ok. He made it seem like he was talking to El and she cottoned on fast murmuring the occasional work quietly.

Rachel saw them walking in and steered them to an examination room straight away when they got to the hospital.

“Ella.” She murmured.

“I’m bleeding.” She told Rachel.

The doctor nodded and Roman was ushered out of the examination room while Rachel gave her a check up.

She came out and looked at Roman.

“She’s fine.” She told him gently and heard his sigh of relief. “With her condition there is a risk of bleeding occurring. I want to do a scan and checked the Baby is fine. If there is another instance then we may consider steroids to ensure the baby is developed sufficiently if we have to deliver.” She added in her calm voice.

“Does she want me there?” he asked.

Rachel nodded.

“I think if you try and wait out here she would kill you.” Rachel grinned at him.

He moved into the room and Ella immediately sat up.

“They want to do a scan.” She said in a frightened tone of voice.

“I know. It will be ok.” he reassured her.

She shook her head.

“I can’t.” she muttered. “Not again.”

Roman swore under his breath. She had been frightened before when she hadn’t remembered the loss of the other baby but she was petrified now.

“Ella.” He said in a harsh tone cutting through her panic.

She looked up and him and glared.

“That’s right.” He told her. “Focus on me.”

She held up her hand and he moved over to the side of the bed and took her into his arms holding her tight.

“It is going to be alright.” He promised.

“You can’t say that.” She told him still using that hurt and frightened voice that tore him apart inside.

“I can because I love you and I’m here ok.” he kissed her feeling her trembling in his arms.

He turned to Rachel and addressed her.

“Get it done now.” He instructed and felt Ella wince.

He had to hold her throughout the ultrasound exam her face turned away from the screen and Rachel and buried in his chest. Her dread was easing into him with every passing moment before he looked up and saw Rachel smile at him.

“Everything is fine. The baby has moved.” She said in her calm voice.

Ella shook even more.

“Ella come on now.” He said softly.

“I can’t do this.” She told him.

“It is ok.” he promised.

“No.” her voice became angry. “I told you I didn’t want any more babies.”

He looked at her in shock but made no comment.

“I can’t go through this again.” Her voice dropped to a low wail as the pain of losing Francesca came to the front.

“Ella it’s ok.” Rachel said to her. “This pregnancy is different.”

She shook her head.

“If I’d known I was pregnant sooner I would have done something about it.” she declared her voice full of her hurt and pain.

Roman pulled away from her and moved to the door. He took a couple of breaths and searched for something to say to her but no words came and he slipped out of the room.

She watched him go without saying anything.

Geoff pulled up outside the store where Nic was working. She had decided that she felt well enough to do a few extra shifts, despite the fact that she should have started her maternity leave. He climbed out of the car and went inside the store. He smiled at one of the other women in there before moving to the back room.

“Hello.” Nic said in surprise as soon as she saw him. She put down the two outfits she was carrying and moved over to kiss him.

“Hey I got back early.” He told her.

“I’m glad.” She said simply. “Give me ten minutes and then I can call it a day.”

He nodded and moved over to one of the racks containing her designs. He riffled through them seeing the signature look of her design.

“See something you like Bible Boy?” Elliot said from behind him. “Tell me do you enjoy wearing a little something of hers?” he sneered.

“Hello Elliot.” Geoff said calmly. “I had a feeling that you would turn up eventually.”

Elliot looked past Geoff and over at Nicole.

“Tell me are all those brats yours or is she putting it about like always? Did you realise that I had her first?” He told Geoff laughingly.

Geoff folded his arms across his chest and looked at the other man.

“Why don’t you go crawl back under the rock you came from?” He asked Elliot his tone of voice calm as though nothing could touch him.

“Now Bible boy aren’t you suppose to preach forgiveness?” Elliot taunted him.

Geoff looked at him and smiled slowly.

“I forgive you for being a slimebag and I’m sure that God will forgive Roman when he decides he’s had enough of being a nice guy.”

“I think you have it wrong. He’s the one at fault! He’s a killer!” Elliot muttered his voice rising. “And he needs to pay for his crimes!”

Geoff looked at him with pity on his face.

With a frustrated roar Elliot picked up the nearest thing to hand, one of Nic’s dresses and ripped it with shaking hands, his eyes wild.

“Criminal damage Elliot?” Nic drawled from her position behind the counter.

He looked at her and threw the pieces of the dress at her before reaching into his pocket and pulling out his wallet. He yanked a handful of notes out and threw them on to the counter.

“Consider that your payment for the dress.” He sneered and slammed out of the shop.

Geoff rushed over to Nic and took her into his arms.

“Right you’ve finished working.” He told her. “I need you safe,”

She looked at him her eyes shinning.

“I never slept with him.” she whispered.

“I know.” Geoff told her.

He leaned forward and pressed a gentle kiss to her lips.

“I love you Nic.” He said in her ear.

She pulled back and looked at him.

“Thank you.” She told him. “ I needed to hear that.”

He grinned.

“Lets get you home.” He told her.

She shook her head.

“I’m going to report him to the police first. He may have paid for the dress but I want this incident on record even if they can’t press charges.” She said and saw him nod support.

She dialled Charlie’s number and made the call.

“She didn’t mean it.” Rachel came out of the room and saw Roman standing looking out of the window opposite.

“I know.” He confirmed. “I just don’t know what to say to her.”

“Tell me more.” Rachel encouraged him.

“She doesn’t think that I feel the loss of the baby because I reacted different.” He told her simplifying a year of turmoil in their marriage. “And then there was Danni.”

Rachel put her hand on Roman’s back in a sympathetic gesture unaware that they were being watched.

“I know she doesn’t mean it because of all the things we have been through but it still hurts to hear her say that.” Roman murmured.

“Well this baby is a very good size and there is every chance that even if we deliver now the baby will be ok. I am going to prescribe Ella steroids purely to ensure that the baby’s lungs are developed. The bleeding is minimal, and we can expect it as the pregnancy progresses. Her blood pressure is normal.” She murmured. I know it’s a worrying condition but she is in good health and we will look after both her and the baby.”

Roman nodded.

“I can’t say I’ve not been worried.” He confessed. “I don’t want to lose her again.”

“I understand.” She said stroking his back.

Ella watched them for a long moment before slipping back inside the room unnoticed.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 11

Roman drove them home. Ella sat next to him and remained quiet.

“El.” He said softly.

“What?” she asked after a moment.

“Are you ok? You’re quiet.”

“I’m fine. Stop cross examining me.” She snapped.

He turned and looked at her for a moment before looking back on the road. Within minutes they pulled up outside the house. He found Geoff standing in the open door waiting for them. He climbed out and went round to open the door for Ella. She ignored his outstretched hand and got out by herself. He watched with a puzzled expression on his face before locking the car and moving over to the door.

Ella walked past both Geoff and Nic without saying anything and moved up the stairs. He heard the bedroom door shut and the key turn in the lock and he swore.

“What happened?” Nic asked.

“I’ll tell you in a minute, you look like you want to tell me something first.”

Geoff nodded shutting the door and moving into the lounge.

“Elliot went into the shop. He lost it.” Geoff began. He told Roman the full story quoting the conversation.

“I think we need to step up security.” He muttered after a minute.

He moved over to his daughter and placed his hand on her shoulder.

“Are you ok?” he asked her.

She looked over at Geoff and smiled.

“Yes, my hero husband was there.” She grinned.

Geoff blushed and looked down before looking at her again a blaze of passion on his face.

“I thought I saw someone watching the house earlier so I’ve had Jacko with the children. He should be bringing them home soon.” Roman told them.

Nic nodded.

“I think we’ll go up to our room.” She said and Geoff grinned.

He stood and took hold of Nic’s hand and led her up the stairs.

Roman grinned as he watched them go. He moved into the kitchen to see if he could rescue the dinner that they had been cooking earlier.

Ella stood in the doorway watching him. Her eyes were red so he could tell immediately that she had been crying.

“Hey.” He said softly.

“Did you see anyone while I was gone?” she asked him finally.

He shook his head.

“No.” he told her.

She looked at her feet.

“I wouldn’t blame you if you did. I mean I was kinda dead.” She muttered, seeming to address her feet rather than him.

“Ella you were “dead” six months not six years or sixty years. I don’t know how long it is supposed to take for a person to recover from loss but I didn’t even start talking about you in the past tense. I didn’t get rid of your clothes and I used to spray your pillow with your perfume after I changed the sheets so the room would still smell of you. Do you honestly think I could just go and find someone else? “ He asked her, folding his arms across his chest.

She looked at him.

“You’ve…” she started to say and shook her head.

“What?” he asked.

“Well you had a lot of girlfriends in the past. And if you needed comfort.” She said a stain of embarrassment on her cheeks.

“Where is this coming from?” he asked quickly.

“I saw you with Rachel.” She said eventually.

He laughed and her head shot up and she glared at him.

“Ella.” He began moving over to her. “I’m in love with my wife. I only want my wife. I’m a faithful husband.”

She flinched.

“What?” he asked quickly.

“What if I’ve not been faithful to us?” she asked him placing a hand on her stomach.

He shrugged.

“Did I mention that I love you?” he asked.

She looked at him then.

“And I know you are scared about this pregnancy El, but I still see you when you think you are alone touching that very sexy bump of yours just like that. “ he pointed out seeing her hand stroking the bump.

She looked down at her hand.

“I do want this baby.” She said finally in a shaken voice.

“I know.” He murmured and moved over to her pulling her into his arms.

She gave into the tears she had been holding back.

“I want this baby.” She sobbed.

“It’s ok.” he comforted her.

He guided them over to the sofa and sat down pulling her onto his lap. She tried to resist.

“I’m too heavy.” She moaned.

He shook his head.

“You are perfect.” He murmured holding her in his arms.

He let her cry for a time.

“Ella I love you and I love this baby. Whether I am the biological father or not. You and the baby are miracles to me because I thought I lost you.” He told her.

She looked at him.

“I’m sure you think that is funny.” She muttered.

He looked at her.

“Telling me all that romantic stuff when I’ve been crying and my eyes are puffy and my nose is all red and I look like the good year blimp.” She muttered climbing off his lap with difficulty and walking to the door. “And when we can’t have sex as well.” She added in a bitter tone.

He chuckled and with his inborn sense of danger, realised that was not a good move and tried to stop himself. She glared at him and went up the stairs. He heard the bedroom door slam and he grinned.

He went back into the kitchen and a while later he heard the front door open and then the sound of the kids arriving.

“Where is Mummy?” Sammy asked him.

“Upstairs having a lay down.” He told his son.

Sammy nodded and moved to the table to make a start on his homework. Sophie looked at him for a moment before sitting at the table.

He put beakers of drink on the table before their usual plate of cookies and then moved over to speak to Jacko.

“Pete and James are on their way. They think you might need a bit of help.” Jacko told him calmly.

Roman nodded.

“Was it him?” he asked. “He went to Nic’s shop too.” Roman told him and went though what had happened.

Jacko grimaced.

“Sounds as though he’s on the edge.” He commented.

Roman nodded.

“I’m not happy with Mike being involved.” He confessed.

“He knows the score. He’s not a kid anymore.” Jacko murmured looking over at the kids sitting round the table.

Roman looked at them himself.

“Bet you never thought that I’d be like this.” He said to his old comrade.

Jacko let out a bark of laughter.

“That’s for sure. Although when she found you I knew it would only be a matter of time before you were married off.”

Roman chuckled.

“We never did confess did we?” Jacko sat back on the sofa.

“To what?” Roman found himself asking a puzzled expression on his face.

“We sabotaged the aircraft so she couldn’t’ leave the first time and then we watched you two and that Chaplain.”

Roman flushed a dark red.

“You saw that?” he asked in a strangled voice.

Jacko grinned at him.

“Yup.”

Roman stood up from the sofa and moved away restlessly.

“Lot of water flowed under the bridge since then.” He commented looking at a photo on the shelf beside him.

“Hardcore.” Jacko said softly.

Roman turned and looked at him.

“I should go look at the dinner.” He excused himself.

Jacko swore earning a reproachful glare from Meggy before he stood and looked at the photo. It was off Ella and Roman taken on their wedding day. A separate snapshot stuck in the corner of the frame of the three of them, the original Mike and Ella and Roman. He looked at it thoughtfully for a moment before reaching for his phone. He eased into the study and placed a call.

Geoff and Nic surfaced a while later holding hands as they moved into the room. They greeted Angel and Robbie who ran up to them.

“Daddy.” Angel murmured. “When did you get back?”

“Today. I thought I would surprise Mummy.” He told his daughter.

She nodded at him.

“Where is Grandpa?” he asked.

“I’m in the kitchen cooking and less of the Grandpa thank you very much.” Roman called out.

Angel giggled.

“Daddy.” She said leaning forward. “Don’t forget Grandpa can kill you.” She told him in a loud stage whisper.

“Can he really? But I can run so much faster then him and well he is getting on a bit.” Geoff told her in a conspiracy style whisper.

“I heard that too.” Roman shouted out.

Nic laughed at the sudden big eyes Angel seemed to have.

“It’s not fair.” She moaned to her Mum. “I want a Grandpa that doesn’t know what I’m getting up to.”

Geoff and Nic looked at each other and chuckled.

“I’m sure having a Grandpa that can take you running with him on the beach and play football and take you swimming is a good thing.” Geoff told her.

She folded her arms across her chest and glared at him.

“Maybe.” She conceded.

He came out of the kitchen and sat at the table to check their homework.

“You know what Mummy is back now I think you should all go upstairs and bug her.” he decided after a moment.

Sammy sprinted up from the table and ran to the door. He turned after a minute and came back to collect his homework and moved back upstairs at a more sedate pace. Roman waited until all the kids moved out of the room before he gave into his laughter.

“Do you think Sammy is glad she is back?” Nic murmured.

Roman nodded.

“Just a tad but he hides it well doesn’t he?”

Nic burst out laughing.

“Almost as well as his Dad.” She commented.

Roman chuckled.

“Maybe.” He murmured and moved upstairs.

He stood outside the bedroom for a second hearing them all speaking at once about their homework before he pushed open the door and looked at the scene.

Ella glared at him.

“Its only fair.” He murmured sitting next to her.

“Yes but I was actually asleep.” She moaned.

Sammy looked at her.

“Plenty of time for sleep tonight.” He said and put his book on top of the others’ books for her to look at first.

Roman chuckled and left her to it.

Chapter 12

Ella walked into the diner and sat slowly at the table. It was the first time she had been out apart from trips to the hospital since she had been back. She could feel people’s eyes on her and quite frankly she felt uncomfortable.

Irene came over to the table and sat with her.

“Hello Darl.” She murmured.

“Irene.” Ella greeted.

“How are you doing?” She asked her.

“Ok.” Ella said, lying.

Irene looked at her stepdaughter for a long moment.

“Ok.” she repeated softly. “Your dad will be back next week.” She added.

Ella nodded.

“He’ll be pleased to see you.” She carried on talking.

Ella looked at the other woman.

“I’m sorry I’m not really in a talkative mood.” She murmured.

“What’s going through your mind Darl?” Irene asked her after a minute.

She looked at the smooth table top and then over at Irene.

“That maybe Roman would have been better if I hadn’t have come back.” She confessed.

“Oh Darl.” Irene said sympathetically. “Is this because of Elliot?”

Ella nodded.

“But you know what he did last time don’t you?” She asked her.

Ella shook her head.

Irene took a deep breath and recounted the story. Threatening to kill Nicole, them then getting stranded on the island. Roman taking on Elliot and bringing him to the police station before they found out where they thought Nic was and going and getting her.

Ella sighed.

“I can’t believe he didn’t tell you.” Irene finished the story.

“No he didn’t.” she murmured huskily.

“Not even now?” Irene asked unbelievably.

Ella stood and moved to the Ladies room. She washed her face and stood looking into the mirror for a long moment. Turning around she moved out of the room and saw Irene talking to Roman. He looked over at her and she shook her head at him.

“Ella.” He called.

She moved toward him.

“I want to go home.” She told him.

“Ok.” he accepted and guided her towards his car.

Once inside the vehicle he turned to her.

“I should have told you about him but it was all tied up in the Mark stuff.” He said quietly.

She shook her head once more.

“I don’t want to know ok. “ she murmured. “I just want to go and lie down.” She stated.

He sighed and turned the key in the ignition and started the car. He drove slowly out of the parking lot.

“I need to pick up the kids.” He stated.

“Take me home first.” She told him.

“Ella?” he asked.

She looked at his profile.

“I can’t talk to you. Something this big and you don’t tell me. Using the excuse that it is Mark stuff. I thought we cleared that years age.” She muttered. “I feel ill Roman and I want to go home and lay down. “

He coughed clearing his throat.

“Ella.” He started again.

“Stop the car.” She muttered.

He eased the car to the side of the road and slowly pulled to a stop. She thrust open the door and fell out to the side of the road. She crawled along the verge for a moment before her stomach heaved and she threw up. The waves of nausea rolled over her.

Roman swore and climbed out of the car moving round to her quickly. He put his hands out to touch her and she flinched.

“Get away from me.” She moaned another wave rolling over her.

The heaves stopped and she pulled back a protective hand on her belly. She looked up and he was holding out a water bottle for her to take. She accepted it and took a long drink rinsing her mouth with the liquid.

“Can you stand?” he asked in a clam tone of voice.

She nodded not making eye contact with him.

“Get in the car and I’ll get you home.” He murmured.

She nodded again and eased up. She paused before climbing into the car, leaning against the side as a wave of nausea washed over her again and she felt dizzy. Pulling herself under control she climbed in the car and pulled the seatbelt across her. He took the catch from her shaking fingers and clicked it shut.

She turned away from the look he gave her and focused on the view out of the window. They set off in silence and were soon home. She climbed out of the car and into the house without a word said. Walking up the stairs. He watched her go before getting back in the car and making the school run.

He served up dinner and watched as the children started eating. Taking a tray up the stairs he knocked on the bedroom door and waited. When she didn’t come to the door he tried the handle. She’d locked it again. He swore before placing the tray to one side. With a sharp kick he opened the door.

“Leave me alone.” She said as soon as she saw him.

”I’m not going to let you sit in a locked room sulking.” He started.

She shook her head.

“I don’t want to talk to you. I want to be left alone. And if I want to lock my door I will.” She muttered folding her arms.

He sighed.

“Our door. In fact it’s actually my door since you were declared dead.” He pointed out.

“Thanks for the reminder. I need to change my will.” She looked at him.

He stood looking back at her.

“Ella.” He said softly.

“No.” she muttered. “I don’t want an explanation. I don’t want some stupid story. I just want you to leave me alone. And yes it may be a cliché now but I really do wish I’d never met you. For every single moment of happiness there has been in my life there has been years of unhappiness. I shouldn’t have looked you up.” She turned and moved to the en suite bathroom and closed the door quietly behind her.

He stood for a moment looking at the closed bathroom door before reaching into the wardrobe and pulling out a bag. He filled it with a few things and walked out of the bedroom and down the stairs. He took a last look at the kids before going out the front door. They heard the car start up as he drove off.

She eased down stairs and into the lounge.

“Mum.” Sammy called.

“Hey.” She said.

“Daddy went out “ Georgie told her.

She nodded.

“I heard.“ she mumbled.

“Are you fighting again?” Meggy asked.

She nodded.

“Only a little one.” She grinned trying to stop them worrying.

Sophie looked at her.

“Daddy didn’t say goodbye.”

“Didn’t he?” Ella asked her daughter. “I’m sure he just forgot.” She added softly and went into the kitchen with the tray. She saw that he had cleared the kitchen as he cooked and she hated him even more for not being messy.

“Mum.” Danni said bringing in the plates from the dinning room.

“What?” she asked quickly.

“You and Dad?” she questioned.

“None of your business.” She muttered defensively.

She hated the turmoil that they were going through and suddenly felt a wave of guilt. She clutched her stomach feeling a cramp starting.

“Mum.” Danni gasped.

She looked at her.

“Oh my god.” She moaned as the pain washed through her. “Call your dad.” She instructed.

She moved to the lounge and collapsed on the sofa.

Danni ran to get her phone and dialled.

“Voicemail” she gasped out. “His phone is switched off.”

“Oh god. Mike or Jacko.” Ella said pulling a cover towards her.

“I’ll go see if Nic is here.” Sophie said and ran up the stairs.

“no answer from anyone.” Danni muttered in panic.

Ella nodded.

“It’s ok. Try Miles or Irene.”

Sophie rushed into the room.

“They aren’t here.” She told them. “Mum what do we do?” she panicked.

“Hush.” Ella told her calmly, feeling another cramp starting. “Keep trying people. If we.” She stopped and took a breath. “Can’t find anyone.” She continued. “We’ll call an ambulance.”

Sophie nodded and rushed into the kitchen. She came back a moment later with a wet cloth and wiped her mum’s face. Ella smiled at her and gave her hand a reassuring squeeze.

“Danni?” she asked.

“Still can’t get anyone.” She muttered.

Sammy began crying.

“Hush Sammy.” Ella said and gritted her teeth. “It’s ok.” she added, panting with effort.

Meggy went over to her brother and took hold of his hand.

“It will be ok.” she said to him.

Ella smiled at her youngest daughter.

“Mum.” Danni began. “I got hold of Aden. He’s coming over.”

Ella smiled.

“Ok.” she took a deep breath and tried to stand but another cramp ran through her and she bent over falling to her knees by the sofa.

Roman walked in through the front door dropping his bag on the floor.

“El.” He called.

“In here Daddy.” Sophie said in panic.

He rushed into the lounge and took in the scene.

“Ella.” He said moving over to her quickly.

She reached out a hand towards him.

“Ok. I’ve got you.” He said.

He lifted her to the sofa before picking her up and carrying her to the car.

“What are.” She began. “doing back.” She breathed in and out as a cramp washed over her. “Here.”

“You called me.” He murmured.

“Danni said.” she panted. “Phone.” She gasped. “Switched off.”

He grinned as he put her in the seat pulling the cover over her.

“Not with the phone.” He said softly and their eyes met.

He leaned over and pressed a kiss to her lips before turning and moving into the house.

“Kids.” He called.

They moved over to him.

“Wait here with Danni. I’ll give you a call when we get to the hospital.” He murmured and gave each of them a hug.

“I called Aden and he was coming over.” Danni told him.

“Oh hun, call him back and tell him we’ve gone to the hospital. If you can’t get him don’t worry, just tell him when he gets her ok?” he asked her.

Danni nodded.

“I’ll talk to you soon and let you know how Mummy is.” He promised and rushed outside to the car.

He drove quickly to the hospital and carried her inside. They directed him to an examination room and he placed her on the bed.

“You know you are going to have to stop doing this to me.” He murmured.

She looked at him.

“I was just thinking something along the same lines.” She muttered.

He chuckled.

Dr Young walked into the room and ushered Roman out. He moved into the corridor and saw Aden walking towards him.

“Danni got hold of me.” He murmured.

“They alright?” Roman asked about his children.

Aden nodded.

“Sammy is a little upset and she can’t calm him down.” Aden confirmed.

Roman nodded.

They stood together for a while waiting in silence until Dr Young came out of the room.

“She’s ok.” he began. “The crams have stopped.”

Aden nodded and put his hand on Roman’s arm.

“Were they labour pains?” Roman asked the other man.

Dr Young shook his head.

“No, from what she said she was ill earlier today and this was probably down to stress. I want to monitor her for the next hour or so but I believe you’ll be able to take her home in a little while.” He confirmed.

“Thank you.” Roman said to the doctor and moved towards the door.

He stepped inside the room quietly and saw her lying on her side on the bed.

“Hey.” He murmured.

“Hey.” She said.

He sat on a chair and took hold of her hand.

“Stress?” he asked.

She nodded.

“I’m sorry.” He murmured.

She looked at him.

“No I am. I shouldn’t have reacted like that. It’s just that you know everything about me and I keep finding out new stuff about you and it hurts that you don’t tell me.” She murmured.

He moved and climbed on to the narrow hospital bed behind her and put his arms around her.

“I didn’t tell you about Eliot because I wanted it to be a secret but because I had put it behind me in the past.” He murmured, stroking her hair back from her face before moving his hand to the small of her back and gently rubbing the sore spot she always got when she was pregnant.

He heard her contented sigh and pressed a kiss to the back of her neck.

“So I called you?” she murmured softly.

He blushed and eased away from her moving to stand up. She sat up and looked at him.

“Yes, ok, I felt you were in trouble and I knew to come home, ok?” he muttered embarrassed.

She grinned at him just as Aden walked in.

“Everything ok?” he asked.

Ella looked at Roman.

“Is everything ok? she asked him.

Roman nodded.

Chapter 13

Ella woke in the night. She turned her head and found she was alone. She switched on the light and moved silently through the house finding Roman standing in the kitchen a glass of whisky in his hand.

“Do I have to worry about your drinking?” she asked him softly.

He turned and looked at her, the full moon adding highlight to her so she looked like some kind of ethereal spirit standing there in a full length white nightdress her hair a dark cloud around her pale beautiful face.

“Maybe.” He admitted.

She moved over to him and put her arm around his waist. He pressed a kiss to the top of her head before putting his arm around her.

“It’s Elliot isn’t it?” she asked.

“That and guilt. I try so hard to separate what I was from who I am now and it keeps getting blurred.” He admitted, the whisky loosening his tongue. “And I’m wondering about us.”

She pressed herself close to him.

“Is this because of me?” she asked him. “Because of what I said?”

He nodded.

“He shouldn’t have got to you. No one should ever hurt you.” He growled suddenly.

She chuckled as she felt the tightening of his arm around her.

“Possessive.” She grinned.

He looked down at her and her breath caught in her throat at the flame of raw hunger in his eyes.

“I’m still in love with you.” He murmured.

She smiled a cat got the cream smile.

“I know.” She murmured back at him. “I’m in love with you too,”

“Despite the you hate me and I’ve ruined your life stuff.” He said softly.

She looked up at him.

“Ok I admit it. I say that stuff because I get upset and it’s the only thing I can throw at you that hurts you.” She said after a moment.

He put the glass down and put both arms around her, lowering his head to rest on hers.

“Well.” He said after a long moment. “It works.”

She sighed.

“I know.” She murmured in a sad voice. “I hate myself for it afterwards, trust me.”

He sighed, his hot breath ruffling her hair.

“We have to stop Ella.” He finally said. “We have kids and they have been through enough. I’m talking to both of us here. I walked out on you tonight. I had no idea where I was going or what I was going to do I just needed to get away.” He told her.

Her arms tightened around him.

“So what do you suggest?” she asked.

“I don’t know. I don’t have an answer here.” He said quietly. “I remember a time when you were so strong and you helped me come to terms with some of my demons. Have I really taken all your strength Ella?” he asked her.

She pulled back and looked at him.

“No.” she said instinctively.

She took a shuddering breath.

“I’ve changed since Gardy.” She murmured eventually.

He nodded.

“Yes. You’re more dependent on me. It’s not a bad thing but when stuff happens it’s the same taunt.” He pulled back and took hold of her hand leading her to the lounge so they could sit down.

“It brings you back to that time doesn’t it?” she asked shocked.

“You mean not being able to protect my wife from being raped?” he asked in a tone of voice that she had never heard from him before.

She took hold of his hand.

“We got back together after you lost the baby because you were ill Ella.” He said and ignored her shake of the head. “That weekend we were in the hotel we decided to take it slow and then you got the diagnosis and we forced the pieces to fit.”

“Is that why we had so many problems?” she asked.

“I think that is code for asking me why I became impotent?” he grinned.

“More or less.” She nodded.

He leaned back and put his arm around her. She snuggled up to him.

“I told you.” He murmured.

“Tell me again. I’ve been dead since then.” She murmured.

He laughed.

“That shouldn’t be funny.” He groaned.

“Then stop laughing.” She grinned and reached up to press a kiss to his lips.

“I couldn’t protect you. From Gardy, from losing the baby, from getting ill. And I forced you to try and accept Danni because I wanted to take away your pain.” He said quietly leaning back and closing his eyes.

“So you ..” she began.

He cut her off.

“I became a failure in the bedroom as well as everywhere else in our lives.” He said quickly.

She sighed closing her eyes.

“Tying yourself up in knots?” she asked.

“Yes.” He replied simply.

“And now you have the guilt of not protecting me again.” She whispered.

He sighed, his arm around her tightening.

“Thanks for pointing that out to me.” He murmured after a minute.

She chuckled at the dry tone of voice he used.

“uh huh.” She muttered.

“I want you to be ok and that used to mean accepting that occasionally I’d have to deal with you being superwoman, even when I wanted to protect you. Seeing you cower and be scared it breaks me up inside Ella. And feeling you shake when its anything to do with the baby crucifies me. I know what we went through. I held you remember, but this is more than just that. My wife would never consider abortion.” He took a breath. “She wouldn’t do it when it might have been her rapists baby so why would she do it now.”

Ella pulled away slowly before easing up form the sofa. She began to pace the floor.

“Are you saying I’m doing this to hurt you?” she asked after a time.

He looked at her.

“I don’t know Ella.” He said. “Are you?”

She shook.

“We’re talking about so many things here.” She said at last.

“I know. Although at the end of the day we are only talking about one thing. Us.” He said to her. “Do you want to be with me Ella, to be married to me?” he asked.

She moved restlessly over to the bookshelf and picked up their wedding picture. She placed a hand on her pregnant belly and looked at him.

“No.” she said. “Not anymore.”

He nodded.

“I haven’t for a long time. And you are right I came back because I was ill. I needed you but I hated you.”

He nodded again.

“Why?” He asked softly.

“For cheating on me. For not saving our baby. For forcing me to remember Gabriel.” She gasped collapsing to the floor in tears. “Why would you want me to remember that?” she got out between heaving sobs. “I blocked it out.”

He moved over to her and knelt beside her.

“Because you needed to. We had to find our baby. She wasn’t your mother she was just the woman who gave birth to you.” He murmured.

She looked at him.

“She held me.” She gasped curling into a protective ball. “For the first time she held me and you made me give up that memory.” She moaned. “I hate you.”

Roman pulled her resisting into his arms.

“No.” she moaned.

He stroked her hair away from her tear-drenched face.

“I love you Ella. But if you tell me now that we are over that there is nothing left for us I’ll leave.” He murmured. “I’m hoping that you won’t.” he added.

She shook in his arms.

“I couldn’t save our baby. No one could. I wish that I could have done. And to hold you when you went though that it unmanned me. There was no one who would understand my hurt except you. But we stopped talking and I couldn’t reach you.” he took a long breath. “So I tried to make love to you and you froze on me. I didn’t need sex I needed you.” He said finally. “When we did make love you told me you didn’t love me anymore.”

She turned away from him.

“I hurt you.” She said finally.

He nodded.

“Yes, you did.” He confirmed in words. “So it brings us to Martha.”

She flinched.

“Do you think I had sex with her?” he asked.

She nodded.

“Ok.” he murmured. “What can I do to mend this?

“Nothing.” She said pulling away from him.

“So are we over?” he forced himself to ask.

She looked at him.

“I never knew I was hurting you.” She whispered without answering his question.

“Ella.” He said softly after a moment.

“I promised you forever and I don’t want to go back on that.” She murmured looking again at their wedding photo.

He nodded waiting.

“But if I’m hurting you its better we call it quits.” She added.

“OK.” he said softly.

Her gaze flew to his in panic.

“No.” she gasped.

“You said it Ella.” He murmured.

“Stop ok. I know now. I’ll get help.” she moaned.

“Ella you said it. You can’t take those words back.” he whispered.

“I have to. I need you. I love you Roman. Please.” She begged.

“Ella. We have to decide once and for all here. If you want us over then that is it, no recriminations. It’s ok.” he stood and moved over to the French doors at the other end of the room looking out on the full moon shining in the midnight sky.

She looked at the photo again and stood up. She moved over to the table and placed the photo on it. Pulling off her wedding rings she placed them beside it.

She turned and walked out of the room getting as far as the bottom of the stairs before she collapsed again. She looked up and Roman was there.

“Stop being noble.” She said to him.

“I’m not being noble. I didn’t intend this conversation Ella.” He held out her rings. “Do you want us over?” he asked again.

“No not really. I feel angry at you ok.” she hissed at him. “Why couldn’t you stop him?” she added.

He closed his hand and tucked the rings away. Pulling her to her feet he took her back into the lounge.

“Finally.” He said. “Who should I have stopped?” he forced himself to ask.

“Gardy.” She moaned. “Elliot.” She added.

“And this thing with Elliot has brought all the Gardy stuff back hasn’t it?” he asked.

She nodded tears falling.

“Ella.” He murmured softly.

She looked up at him and sighed.

“Am I so twisted?” she asked.

“I don’t know. You are the only one who knows what you feel and what is inside. If you love me then you need to know I can’t keep getting punished. I can’t keep getting the same thing thrown at me all the time. I lost you Ella and I fell apart but I faced it and I examined all the conversations we had. All the arguments and all the times we left each other and then got back together. We wasted so much time. And no.” he began when he saw her about to protest. “It wasn’t all one sided. I should have told you I had a problem just as you should have told me how you felt when you lost the baby.”

She shook and he reached for the throw cover and wrapped it around her.

“I didn’t know I was punishing you until tonight I swear.” She murmured.

He sat down and looked at her.

“And now you do? Are you going to end us? Or are you going to focus on recovering what we have?" he asked her. “But you need to do it for the right reason El,” he cautioned.

She took a breath and looked out at the moon and then the highlighted wedding picture and finally him.

“We’ve been here before.” She murmured in a conversational tone.

He nodded.

“I’ve lost count of the number of times.” He said quietly.

“I’m sorry that I’ve been hurting you.” She muttered feeling defensive.

He nodded once more.

She held her head up.

“I love you Roman.” She told him softly.

“I love you too.” He said quietly.

“I love our children.” She said. “But not even for our beautiful children will I stay with you.”

He smiled sadly and waited feeling that she was going to say more.

“We’ve split up before and always got back together.” She whispered.

“That is true.”

“And when I was ill it broke me inside to think I was leaving you.” She said so quietly.

“You never told me that.” He murmured.

She looked at him a single tear falling down her cheek highlighted with silver by the full moon outside.

“I couldn’t.” she confessed. “You wouldn’t let me talk about the possibility of dying.”

He nodded his acceptance of her words.

She looked at him.

“So.” She murmured quietly.

“So.” He mirrored her.

She moved towards him.

“If we do this,” she said holding out her hand to him.

He moved towards her and took hold of her hand.

“Yes.” He said quietly.

“It’s because we can’t be apart.” She finished looking into his eyes.

He waited.

“And I can’t.” she said so quietly he could barely hear her.

She looked up at him.

“I can’t lose you Roman. I love you. I’m so sorry for hurting you.” She said.

He tugged on her hand and pulled her towards him. She laughed and moved into his arms.

“I’m sorry for all the times I’ve let you down. I’m sorry for all the times I walk away and don’t talk to you.” He said softly. “I’m sorry for all the times I don’t say I love you. I’m sorry for not being there when you need me. I’m sorry for my past hurting us.”

She looked into his eyes and her lips trembled.

“I’m sorry for not talking to you. I’m sorry for losing our baby.” She began.

“Oh El.” He interrupted.

She shook her head.

“I’m sorry I lost our baby.” She said again. “I’m sorry I blamed you for it when I actually felt so guilty.”

He pulled her back into his arms and held her tight.

“I’m sorry for always throwing that taunt at you. I don’t regret a moment we’ve been together, not even when we fight because I love you and that means dealing with the bad stuff too.” She said quietly.

He held out her rings and she took them putting them on slowly almost relevantly. He led them upstairs to bed and climbed into the huge bed beside her. She curled up in his arms.

“We should spend some time together.” She murmured.

He chuckled sleepily.

“Would you like to go on a date?” he asked.

She found herself smiling as a little flutter of excitement went through her.

“Yes.” She said softly.

He chuckled some more.

“I’ll have to see if I can remember how to do romance.” He said pressing a kiss to the back of her neck.

“Heart shaped pancakes.” She whispered.

“Uh huh.” He murmured and kissed her again.

She sighed and snuggled against him some more before falling asleep.

Chapter 14

Ella climbed out of bed slowly and moved downstairs as quietly as possible. She went into the kitchen and began making breakfast. She set the table ready for the children. Roman caught her a moment later humming along to quietly playing tune on the radio as she cooked scrambled eggs.

“Hello.” He said softly.

She gasped.

“Don’t sneak up on a girl” she muttered.

He moved quickly stepping behind her and putting his arms around her.

“So what are you up to?” he asked her.

“I was making you breakfast.” She grinned.

“And what did I do to deserve this?” he asked her.

She pulled the eggs off the cooker and turned in his arms to put her own around his neck. He lowered his head and kissed her deeply and passionately.

“Yum.” She said after a moment.

He stepped back and looked at her a smile on his face.

“I love you.” He said softly.

She grinned.

“I love you too.”

He reached for the coffee she’d made and poured himself a cup and took a sip. She moved back to the cooker and finished cooking his eggs. She put them on hot buttered toast and added grilled bacon. She handed him the plate and saw his appreciative smile.

“Thank you.” He said softly and moved to the table. The kids began filtering down the stairs. Ella greeted them and organised their breakfasts.

“Mummy.” Meggy murmured. “Is the baby alright?”

Ella nodded and sat on the chair next to her.

“Yes sweetie.” She said stroking her hair.

“And you aren’t going to lose it like last time?” Meggy asked worriedly.

Ella looked quickly at Roman in shock.

“Mummy and the baby are ok.” he said softly.

Meggy stopped looking worried and smiled.

“Is it a boy baby or a girl baby?” she asked.

“Well Mummy?” Roman asked her.

She smiled.

“What would you like?” she asked them.

They all started speaking at once.

She looked at Roman and smiled.

“Who wants a boy?” she asked after a moment cutting through the chatter.

Sammy and Georgie were the first to put their hands up, followed slowly by Meggy.

“Meggy.” Sophie gasped.

Ella grinned.

“So who wants a girl?” she asked looking at Sophie.

“That would be me.” She muttered glaring at Meggy some more.

Ella chuckled.

“Well you’ll have to wait and see won’t you. Your sister Nicole will be having her baby first.” Roman pointed out to them.

Sophie looked at him.

“Yeah that is just going to be a niece or nephew. Not nearly as interesting as having a new brother or sister. And you have to get a cot and everything.” She pointed out.

Roman chuckled.

“We do.” He murmured. “I know Nic doesn’t have a lot of things either.”

Ella looked at him.

“Are you suggesting shopping?” she smiled.

“No of course not!” he grinned.

“I’ll go shopping with you.” Sophie told her.

Ella laughed.

“What a pity you have to go to school. “ Roman told his daughter and almost laughed at the expression on her face.

“Thanks for reminding me. Don’t my kids have to go get ready for school?” she asked them and heard a groan as they stood and moved towards the stairs.

Nic came down a moment later with Robbie and Angel.

“Morning.” Roman said softly.

“Hey.” Nic murmured and guided the subdued children to the table.

“What’s up?” Ella asked.

“My children have just been told that they aren’t getting their own way.” Nic murmured.

“Ut oh” Roman murmured. “Best to leave them to it.” He grinned and took his plate into the kitchen. Ella stood and moved to the stairs waiting for Roman. He joined her after a moment and they went upstairs together, not seeing Nic grinning at them.

Nic answered the knock at the door that sounded minutes later.

“Charlie.” She said softly greeting the officer.

“I’m sorry Nic I need to see Ella.” She said.

“She’s upstairs. What’s going on?” She asked Charlie quickly.

“Nic please just go get Ella.” Charlie muttered.

She turned and saw Roman standing on the stairs. He moved down quickly.

“What’s happening?” he asked seeing Charlie standing on the doorstep in her uniform.

“Can you bring Ella out please.” She said not answering his question.

Ella moved down the stairs and over to them.

“Can you step outside please Ella.” Charlie murmured.

Ella nodded and took a step forward.

Charlie caught hold of her by her arm and turned her around. She took out her handcuffs and snapped one bracelet on her wrist.

“What the hell is going on Charlie?” Roman asked stepping forward.

“Elizabeth Harris I am arresting you on suspicion of committing bigamy. You do not have to say anything when questioned but it may harm your defence if you do not mention something which you later rely on in court. “ She began.

Roman caught hold of Charlie’s arm.

“You are joking.” He snapped angrily.

“Roman.” Charlie snapped back. “I have to be seen to be doing the right thing.” She said to him.

He looked at Ella and she nodded.

“It’s ok.” she told him.

He dropped his arm.

“Fine I’ll meet you at the station.” He said bitterly.

Charlie nodded and met his eyes. She glanced to her left quickly and he followed the movement seeing Elliot sitting in his car at the end of the drive.

He nodded his understanding and turned seeing his children in the doorway behind him.

“It’s ok.” he said to them. “Charlie wants to take Mummy for a ride.” He eased them back inside and shut the door before turning back to Ella.

Charlie snapped on the other bracelet securing her wrists behind her back. She leaned in close.

“Sorry.” Charlie murmured before leading her to the police car and helping her ease into the back seat.

She looked at Roman out of the back of the police car and mouthed that she loved him.

Charlie set off and drove away slowly past Elliot’s parked car and then headed towards the station. She waited until they were out of sight and checked they weren’t followed before pulling over and opening the back door. She leaned in and un-cuffed her.

“I’m sorry Ella. Not just for this but having to do it in front of your kids.” She murmured.

“Aren’t you afraid I’m going to overpower you and then steal the police car before I escape cross country.” Ella asked her.

“Would that mean Roman is single again?” Charlie replied quickly.

“Good point.” Ella grinned. “OK take me to jail.” She instructed.

Charlie climbed behind the wheel again and set off once more.

Chapter 15

Charlie escorted Ella into an interrogation room and sat down.

“I have to interview you now under caution.” She said officially.

Ella nodded.

“Please state your full name for the record.” She murmured.

“Elizabeth Louisa Laura Addison Harris.” Ella said softly.

“I have here two marriage certificates.” Charlie began. “The first states that you are married to Roman Harris and the second states that you are married to Elliot Gillen.”

Ella nodded looked at the two pieces of paper.

“I’m married to Roman.” She said. “The other I’m not sure off.”

“Can you tell me the circumstances of this alleged second marriage?” Charlie said and smiled at her.

Ella relaxed for a second in the chair and then sighed.

“I don’t know.” She muttered uncomfortably.

“What can you tell me?” Charlie asked softly.

Ella looked at her and began to cry.

“That’s just it I can’t tell you anything. I don’t know ok?” she sobbed.

Charlie came round the table and put her arms around her.

“Its ok.” she said softly.

“No Charlie it’s not. This man has come into our lives and taken me away from Roman just like Gardy did and I don’t remember. I don’t even know how I got pregnant.” She sobbed.

Charlie stroked her hair and held her trying to comfort her. She eased back and moved out of the room to instruct someone to call Rachel to come to the station.

After a moment an officer came in with a drink of water.

“She is on her way Constable.” The officer told her.

Charlie nodded

Ella accepted a drink with a shaking hand. She tried to pull herself together but was soon sobbing again.

“Ella please calm down.” Charlie said to her pulling up a chair to sit close to her.

“Sorry.” She sobbed.

Rachel was ushered in a while later moving over to Ella’s side.

“I tried to get her to lie down but she’s been like this for nearly three quarters of an hour.” Charlie told the other woman.

Rachel nodded.

“Roman is outside by the way and I don’t think he’s happy.” Rachel told her.

Charlie grinned.

“I’ll leave you to some privacy.” She said and squared her shoulders to go face Roman.

Rachel moved over to Ella and sat beside her.

“Ella.” She said softly.

“I need to know.” She gasped.

“I know sweetie. First of all I need to get you to calm down. This isn’t good for you or the baby.”

Ella looked at her and tried to stop crying, but within moments she was sobbing again.

“Ok Ella, I’m going to give you something to calm you down ok and then I’m going to take you to the hospital.” Rachel murmured.

She looked at Rachel as he opened up her medical bag and pulled out a syringe and a small vial. She measured out the dose and rolled up Ella’s sleeve to administer the injection. She left her a moment to move outside. Roman was clearly furious and arguing with Charlie.

“In front of her children.” He sneered.

“I had to take some action Roman. Ella understood why can’t you?” She pointed out.

“Excuse me?” Rachel interrupted.

Roman looked up over at them.

“I need to take Ella to hospital. I’ve had to give her something to calm her down.” She said to them.

Roman stepped forward.

“Now isn’t a good time.” Rachel murmured. “I’m not quite sure what has been said to her but I need to take my patient somewhere safe.” She added with a glare at the both of them.

Charlie looked at the floor.

“I’m sorry Rachel. Are you able to transport her or should we call an ambulance.” She asked.

“She will be ok with me. I presume you will not require me to have an escort? And I recommend no restraints.”

Charlie again looked at the floor.

“Ok.” she murmured.

“It’s against procedure Charlie.” The other officer pointed out.

“I know. But she can be trusted not to abscond.” Charlie stated.

Rachel moved back into the room and helped a subdued Ella to stand. She guided her out and to her car. Roman forced to stand back and watch as they drove off.

He turned to Charlie.

“What evidence do you have?” he muttered.

“A marriage certificate in their names.” She said quietly. “It appears to be authentic.”

“Appears?” he questioned.

“Make of that what you will.” She pointed out also quietly. “Stay here.” She instructed in a louder tone of voice. “Until you’ve calmed down a bit.” She added guiding him into the office where she had placed both certificates She pointed them out and then the photocopier in the annex next to it and left him to fetch herself a cup of water returning a moment later.

“Have you calmed down now?” she asked.

He nodded.

“I should go.” He stated.

She nodded and watched him as he moved out of the room a moment later.

Rachel took Ella into the hospital through the back entrance and up to a private room. She settled her on to the bed and pulled up a blanket over her before seeing to the paperwork admitting her. She gave the reason as exhaustion brought on by the pregnancy. Within minutes she was distracted by the daily routine at the hospital.

Roman walked out of the station and straight into Elliot.

“Hardcore.” The other man greeted.

“Elliot. “ Roman said counting to ten.

“Sorry to hear about the wife. Must be tough. Still you’ll know what it’s like in Prison.” He sneered.

“Are you about to make a point or just waste my time?” Roman asked the other man folding his powerful arms across his broad chest.

Elliot took a half step back and looked into Roman’s face.

“How does it feel knowing that I’ve had your daughter and your wife?” he muttered trying to provoke a reaction.

Roman laughed.

“Well let’s see.” He began. “If you had been with my wife you would have abandoned any plans for revenge because she is woman enough to make a man happy without the need for anything else.” Roman stated. “But perhaps you don’t like that anymore. A pretty little boy like you in jail. You must have been popular.”

Elliott looked at him and sneered.

“Is that it Elliot? Do you like boys now?” Roman taunted further.

“I’m not going to let you bait me Hardcore. Everyone knows what you are and you are going to pay for your crime.” He growled angrily.

“Go away and grow up Elliot. It’s the same story. I’ve done my time. It was self defence.” He looked at Elliot and for a second felt a wave of pity for him.

“No!” Elliot screamed at him and reacting he swung back his fist and hit him. Roman stood his ground letting the punch connect. He didn’t even flinch as it made contact with his jaw in roughly the same spot as the blow from Mike the other night. He looked at Elliot and then pointed behind him to the camera mounted on the wall.

“Assault Elliot?” he asked him. “Are you missing your boyfriends that much?”

The other man glared at him and turned without comment.

“We saw that Roman would you like to press charges?”

Roman looked at Charlie.

“Not yet. I need to see what he’s up to first.” He stated.

Charlie nodded.

“I’ll prepare the paperwork just in case.” She murmured and saw him nod.

Chapter 16

Ella woke in the darkened room and had a panic attack until the light was switched on.

“Sorry I forgot.” Roman murmured and moved quickly over to her.

“What.” She gasped.

“Am I doing here?” he asked and grinned.

She nodded still breathing heavily.

He put his arms around her climbing on the bed beside her.

“I’ve got Jacko looking into things for us and I bribed Rachel to let me in here.”

“Bribed?” Ella asked calming down.

“Chocolates.” He grinned.

She sighed relaxing beside him.

“Why don’t you just go kill him so that he leaves me alone?” she asked him.

Roman laughed.

“Is this the same person who wouldn’t let me kill Gardy?” he asked her pressing a kiss to her lips.

She looked at him and fresh tears fell from her eyes.

“I don’t know what he did to me Roman. I’m scared ok. I’m not strong enough for this.” She moaned clutching him tight.

He sighed into her hair and took a shuddering breath in.

“You can do this.” He said. “You are strong my beautiful Ella.”

She shook some more.

“I need him gone. I can’t do this. I’m not just saying this I really can’t cope.” She said to him.

He looked at her and sighed again.

“Ella you have to stay strong, You need to look after the baby.” He said quietly.

She shook some more.

“I know.” She whispered.

She looked at him.

“Tell me.” He murmured.

“I’m scared that I won’t love this baby.” She confessed.

“Another Meggy.”

She nodded.

“And yet you loved her the moment you saw her. Before we even knew she was ours,” he sighed again. “Nic went into labour this afternoon.” He finally told her.

Ella shot up.

“Where’s Geoff?” she asked.

“He got back.” Roman confirmed. “The poor man.”

She looked at him.

“I didn’t know my daughter knew so many swearwords and I’m convinced that she really is never going to have sex with him again.” Roman murmured. “Why where do you think you were going?” he asked her, pulling her back down on the bed.

He smiled at her and pushed her hair back from her face. He pressed a kiss to her lips.

“Stop it.” she sighed.

“What?” he asked grinning.

“The smug smile.” She muttered.

“Well let me see, you just told me that you aren’t strong enough to cope with things and yet when I told you about Nic you were ready to go to her.”

She glared at him.

“My beautiful wife.” He said softly.

She sighed again and lay back in his arms letting his strength ease into her.

“You’re doing Great Nic.” Geoff told her. “But they would just like a little bit less swearing this time.” he added.

She glared at him.

“Until you push something this big out of you do not tell me what to do.” She hissed at him. “Oh my god.” She added with a scream.

She panted through the contraction.

“I hate you Geoffrey Campbell.” She shouted.

“Come on Nic.” He encouraged.

She shot him a filthy look before screaming again.

“I am getting a vibrator.” She muttered loudly. “Because you are never touching me again.” She added panting.

Geoff grinned at her and reached for the damp cloth to bath her forehead.

“You are doing really well.” He said to her.

Their eyes met and she gave him a small smile before the next contraction began.

“How the fricking heck did Ella do this so many times?” Nic asked. “See no bloody swearing.” She added and then. ”Opps.”

Geoff looked into her eyes again before leaning over.

“I love you Nicole Franklin Harris Campbell.” He whispered in her ear.

“I love you too but we are so never having sex again.” She uttered.

“The baby is coming now.” Rachel called. “Next contraction I need you to bear down ok.”

“What the hell do you think I’ve been doing.” Nicole hissed.

“Nic.” Geoff said quickly.

“Sorry.” She apologised to Rachel who was grinning.

Geoff bathed her forehead again and moved behind her to help her when the next contraction came. He rubbed her back with smooth strokes.

“You can do this Nic. You are so beautiful.” He said softly.

She smiled at him and then the contraction began.

“Bear down Nic.” He murmured to her.

He took hold of her hand and she squeezed as she bore down. They heard the first wail of their baby and looked at each other.

“I love you Geoff.” She gasped emotionally.

“Congratulations you have a baby girl.” Rachel told them placing the new baby in Nic’s arms.

“She’s beautiful Nic, just like her mum.” Geoff said and blinked back tears.

“Hello my baby.” Nic said softly stroking her cheek. “You are so worth this.” She murmured. “I love you.”

“She’s beautiful.” Geoff said again.

Nic smiled even though tears fell from her blue eyes.

“I was going to call her Ella.” She said.

Rachel smiled.

“Luckily you have your Ella back.” She pointed out.

“We know.” Nic grinned happily.

“Mira.” Geoff said.

“Mira?” Nic asked.

“Miracle baby and Miracle we got Ella back.” He murmured.

“I think that is beautiful.” Rachel told him.

Nic looked at her baby.

“Hello Mira.” She said to her.

“Ok can we have her back please. We’ll get you settled into your room and bring har to you.” Rachel murmured softly.

Nic smiled and grudgingly handed her over.

Within a short while they were reunited.

Geoff kept looking over at the crib.

“Go on pick her up.” Nic told him a smile on her face. “She’ll forgive you for waking her up.”

Geoff grinned.

“Not if she has your temper she won’t.” he murmured.

Nic chuckled before leaning back on the pillows.

Chapter 17

Roman left Ella sleeping in the room while he made his way to go see Nic and Geoff. He was handed his newest grandchild as soon as he walked in.

“She’s great.” He murmured to them.

Nic grinned.

“We were going to call her Ella.” She said softly.

“Well that won’t be too confusing.” He grinned.

“Don’t worry we have another name.” Geoff said walking over to him. “We’re going to call her Mira.” He murmured softly striking his daughters cheek.

“As in Miracle?” Roman asked.

“How did you know?” Nic gasped.

“Because I’m getting good at guessing babies names. “ He grinned at her.

He handed over the baby to Geoff who immediately walked over to sit next to Nic.

“Dad.” Nic murmured.

Their eyes met and he sighed.

“She’s ok. She needs a rest. It’s got a bit much for her.”

“We thought so.” Geoff said putting his free arm around Nic.

“Yeah, she isn’t here for one thing.” Nic smiled then sobered. “We’re a bit worried that seeing the baby might be sad for her.”

Roman sank on to the chair.

“She’ll have to get used to seeing babies she’ll have one in a few months.” He pointed out.

“Well that is another thing.” Geoff said.

He looked at Nic and she nodded.

“There is a job offering up the coast.” He started.

Roman looked at him.

“Do you want to take it?” he asked.

“It’s not like this one but it could prove interesting.” Geoff said going off topic.

“Geoff.” Nic interrupted.

“Yeah well, we would get a house with the job.” He said.

Geoff looked at Nic for encouragement and she nodded. He took a deep breath before continuing.

“If Ella didn’t want the baby we could take him or her. Adopt the baby and bring them up as ours.” He plunged on.

Roman looked at them in shock.

“Do you know what you are saying?” he asked them. “What it would mean?”

Geoff nodded.

“We’ve talked it over a lot Dad.” Nic murmured. “The baby’s would be close in age so we could pass them off as twins. And well we would take care of Ella’s baby. “

Roman looked at her.

“I know that. But you’d be on your own Nic, we couldn’t stay in contact it would be too hard for her.” he pointed out.

“Yes.” She said. “But it would be ok because her baby would be safe and loved.”

Roman stood up and moved to the door.

“Dad.” Nic called out.

“I’m stunned Nic.” He said putting his hand on the door handle. “You’d sacrifice your family and living here in Summer Bay to take care of Ella’s baby.”

She blushed.

“It wouldn’t be a big sacrifice.” She dismissed. “I would do anything for her and well, you.” She smiled.

“I can’t let you do that.” He said.

“We can’t let Ella struggle the way she did with Meggy.” Nic told him and leaned into her husband’s embrace. She looked down at her baby and smiled.

“I have to think about this.” He said quickly and moved out of the room. He went and took a long look at Ella before heading home to his children. He found himself giving them extra hugs and kisses as he tucked them into bed. He also told them all about their new niece and promised a shopping trip so they could get a present for her.

He climbed into bed and pulled Ella’s pillow over to him and cuddled it. He wondered how he was going to tell Ella what they had suggested.

Mike went onto the bar and ordered himself a beer.

“I didn’t think you’d get here.” Elliot said walking over to him.

“Don’t even bother to sit down I’ve heard all about you.” Mike muttered.

“The old man been talking?” Elliot asked ignore the previously uttered advice and sat down on a neighbouring stool.

“Roman? Ha, as if. No it was Jacko.”

“Who the hell is Jacko?” Elliot said and then looked at him. “He was in their unit.”

Mike nodded.

“My uncle. I’ve know him all my life, long before that Bastard Harris.” Mike took a swig of his beer and looked over at Elliot.

“You hate him?” Elliot asked.

“Yeah I do. My mum used to be cool and now she is just this suburban small town housewife with a pack of brats and it’s all his fault.” He sneered.

Elliot smiled.

Mike looked over at him.

“But don’t think I’m going to get mixed up with you Gillen.”

Elliot laughed.

Mike took a long swig from his beer and placed the empty bottle on the top.

“Well at least let me buy you a drink?” Elliot said looking at the empty bottle.

Mike looked at him for a long moment before nodding.

“Go on then.” He said.

Elliot gestured for two more beers from the barman. He took a long drink from his and looked at Mike.

“What if I told you that I plan to get Hardcore for what he did?” Elliot murmured.

“I would say good luck.” Mike grinned.

“But you aren’t interested in helping out?” He asked him.

“It’s not that. It’s because it involves my mother. By rights I shouldn’t even be talking to you.” Mike muttered and shifted uncomfortably on the seat.

“She was just collateral damage.” Elliot told him. “I’m sorry.”

Mike nodded.

“Look mate. I can’t really get involved can I?” Mike asked him.

“You’ll miss out.” Elliot promised.

Mike stood draining his beer. He looked over at Elliot for a long moment.

“I’ll think about it and give you a call.” Mike said and moved away.

Elliot grinned.

Chapter 18

Roman and Jacko walked into the police station and waited for Charlie.

“Hello.” She greeted them. “Do you want to come through?” she asked leading them into an interview room.

Roman sat down and pulled out the duplicated certificate. He dropped it on the table in front of him and then added the real certificate on top.

“It seems that a marriage did go ahead for an Elias Galbeck and Elizabeth Harrison.” Roman murmured.

Charlie looked at the certificates.

“Well you have done your homework.” She murmured.

Jacko grinned.

“And this is a statement by the celebrant who performed the ceremony, witnessed by the police.” He told her. “He states clearly that the people he married on that day were not Ella and Elliott.”

“I trust you’ll be dropping the charges?” Roman muttered.

Charlie nodded.

“Ella is free to go.” She murmured.

She picked up the items on the table.

“As soon as I make a phone call to authenticate this.” She added and saw Jacko grin at her.

She left the room to make the calls.

“You should be used to hanging about at police stations now.” Jacko said conversationally to Roman.

“Jacko are you trying to start something?” he asked.

“No just passing the time of day. Tell me did you and that copper have a thing going at some stage?” he grinned as he looked at Roman.

Roman stood and folded his arms across his chest.

“I’m trying to get my wife released from custody and you are asking me that?” he asked incredulously.

“Just trying to find out a bit more about my old mate.” Jacko chuckled. “And I’ll take that as a yes.”

Roman glared at him.

Charlie walked in after a few minutes. She took in the sight of the two men standing at opposite ends of the room and frowned.

“Ella is free to go.” She confirmed.

Roman nodded.

“And her details expunged from the records? I don’t want some overzealous policemen pulling up her details in the future and throwing this back at her.” he told Charlie.

She nodded.

“I’ll see what I can do.” She promised.

Jacko looked at him and chuckled.

They made their way out of the station with Jacko going to collect the kids and Roman heading for the hospital. He encountered a worried Rachel sitting outside the room going over a file.

“What’s wrong?” he asked her.

She looked up in surprise having been too engrossed in her notes to hear him approach.

“Your wife became upset this afternoon and I was forced to give her another sedative. “ Rachel told him bluntly.

He swore.

“What triggered it?” he asked.

“We did some hypnosis and therapy to try and recover some memories.” She said to him.

“Rachel how could you? You have any idea how fragile she is?” he muttered.

She stood up and looked at him.

“I am her doctor so yes I have some idea and she needs to know. This is not like Gardy where the bad guy is safely behind bars he’s here in Summer Bay and is doing his best to make all your lives hell. She wants to know exactly what he did to her.” she told him.

He sighed and sank to a chair putting his head in his hands.

“And she needs to know who fathered the baby she’s carrying because this is torturing her. Not only is she still got the backlash of the emotional turmoil from losing Francesca that is telling her not to love this baby but she doesn’t know who is the father or how she got pregnant. “ Rachel took a breath and her tone of voice softened. “She just wants to be superwoman again.”

Roman took a shuddering breath.

“She doesn’t need to do that.” He murmured.

Rachel put her hand on his knee and he looked up after a minute.

“She needs to do that for herself.” She said to him. “She wants to be herself and not this affected person.”

Roman looked at her.

“I have to tell her something.” He began. “And I don’t know how.”

Rachel smiled slowly and waited.

“Nic and Geoff have offered to adopt the baby. Geoff has been offered a job further up the coast. It will mean we won’t be in contact I guess.”

Rachel gasped.

“There is no way she’ll let Nic do that.” Rachel murmured.

“So what do you recommend?” he asked.

She shook her head.

“I would say to give it a few days before you say anything to her. “ she murmured. “Charlie rang me to let me know that all charges have been dropped. I think that taking her home and letting her be with the children will help.”

Roman nodded.

“And when Nic comes home?” he asked.

“Cross that bridge when it happens. I can’t predict how Ella is going to react.” She told him and then smiled. “I do have some good news for you. Her blood work is back from the lab and the cancer is still in full remission.” She added.

She gave him another look.

“And?” he asked after a moment.

“Tested clear for anything else.” She murmured quietly.

“Well that is one thing.” He said.

Rachel nodded.

“I’ll go to the paperwork so you can take her home.” She confirmed and began to move away.

Roman took a deep breath before going into the room. He took sight of Ella lying cured up on the bed facing away from the door.

“Hey.” He murmured quietly.

She moved restlessly but didn’t turn.

He went over to the bed and stroked her hair back from her head.

“Hey.” He said again slightly louder.

“Hey.” She replied drowsily.

She opened her eyes and looked up at him. He pressed a kiss to her lips.

“Did Rachel tell you?” she murmured.

“About?” he forced himself to ask her and not nod.

“Still in remission.” She said closing her eyes sleepily.

“Yeah she mentioned it.”

Ella chuckled.

“Am surprised I didn’t hear you celebrating.” She said quietly.

“Got some news for you.” He began pressing another kiss to her lips. “We’ve sorted everything out and you can go home.”

“My hero husband.” She told him and he flinched at the comment. The way she said it made it sound more like an insult.

She forced herself up and pointed at her bag of clothes.

“When is Nic home?” she asked.

“Tomorrow I think. Have you seen the baby?” he worked to keep his tone even.

“No.” she said. “Too tired.” She excused herself.

He nodded and helped her get dressed when her hands wouldn’t co-operate. She stood up from the bed and fell against him.

“El no need to throw yourself at me.” He joked feebly.

She put her arms around his neck and lent against him for a long moment.

“Take me home please.” She said to him.

He nodded and made sure that they had gathered everything together before he helped her out to the car and took her home.

She was more awake by the time they got to the house and she moved inside. The children ran over to her and she hugged them.

“I’m sorry Mummy is really sleepy so I need to go to bed.” She murmured to them.

“Have you seen Nic’s new baby?” Sophie asked her.

“Not yet but Daddy has.” She said and took a step back.

Roman noticed immediately and moved to put his arm around her.

“Come on lets get you tucked up in bed.” He said peaceably.

“Always trying to get me into bed.” She said when they were out of earshot of the children.

“You know me, any excuse.” He grinned.

She climbed on the bed and let him place the covers over her.

“I’m sorry Roman. I don’t feel very loving towards you at the moment.” She said finally.

“And what would make you feel more loving?” he felt forced to ask.

“If Gardy was gone.” She told him her eyes closing.

“You mean Elliot.” he pointed out.

She sighed.

“Whatever.” She said.

He walked to the door and took a last look at her before easing into the hallway.

“Roman.” She called out suddenly.

He went back into the room and saw her sitting up in the bed tears falling down her face.

“Hey.” He said sitting on the bed.

“You know it’s only because lots is going on don’t you?” she said. “I don’t want you to think I’m giving up on us.” She added worriedly.

“It’s ok.” he murmured. “I know. Nic had her baby and you had a session with Rachel and well getting arrested and everything.” He said quickly.

She sighed in relief.

“Because I do love you.” She said. “I really do.”

He put his arms around her and felt her sag against him.

“I love you too.” He told her.

She sighed.

“Hold me until I fall asleep?” she asked.

He chuckled.

“Now is this to make me feel better or you?” he said quickly.

“How about both.”

She wrapped her arms around him and clung to him.

Chapter 19

Sophie eased into their room. She reached up and tugged on her dad’s hand.

“What’s the matter?” he whispered.

“Meggy has been sick.” She told him.

Ella woke and looked at them.

“What is it?” she asked.

“Go back to bed Sophie, I’ll be there in a minute.” He told his daughter. She disappeared out the door and he turned to Ella easing his arm away from around her.

“Meggy has been sick.” He murmured.

“I’ll go.” She said.

“I’ve got this one.” He pressed her back on the pillows and gave her a kiss before climbing out of bed. He moved silently through the house and into Meggy and Sophie’s room, which had been the old nursery, while through the connecting archway the boys slept.

“Come on sweetie lets get you into the bath.” He murmured.

He placed his hand on her forehead judging if she had a temperature.

“What made you feel sick?” he asked.

“My throat is all sore.” She croaked.

He pressed a kiss to her forehead and moved her into the bathroom.

Ella climbed out of bed and pulled on her bathrobe. She moved into the girls room and stripped the bed. Putting on clean sheets. She rescued Meggy’s favourite bear and took it downstairs with the other laundry. She tackled the bear first, washing it in the sink in the laundry room before placing it in the dryer. The sheets she put in the washer and set it on. Roman joined her there a moment later.

“Hey, I thought I had this covered. “ he murmured.

She opened up the dryer and pulled out the bear.

“All done.” She told him.

He looked at her and pressed a kiss to her lips.

“What was that for?” she mumbled.

“I need a reason to kiss my beautiful caring wife?” he asked her.

Their eyes locked for a moment in an intense look.

“Yes.” She decided. “And I want it in writing in triplicate three weeks before the actual kissing event.”

He laughed and put his arm around guiding her back upstairs.

She moved into the girl’s room and found Meggy already in bed.

“Hey sweetie.” She said going over to her. “Look who I’ve got.”

She tucked the bear in bed with her and pressed a kiss to her forehead.

“I don’t feel very well.” She told her mother.

“Ah baby.” Ella said.

“Will you sleep with me?” Meggy asked her catching hold of her hand.

“I’m sorry hun, but Mummy’s tummy won’t fit on your bed.” She explained. “So how about I sit here until you fall asleep.”

Meggy nodded closing her eyes drowsily.

“Tell me the story.” She begged her.

“Of you being born?”

“And me.” Sophie said moving over to them. “I can fit in your bed if you want Meggy.”

Meggy nodded and Sophie eased into the bed behind her putting her arms around her sister.

Georgie and Sammy eased out of bed and sat next to her.

“Ok.” Ella said with a smile. “A long time ago Mummy and Daddy got married and we wanted a baby but the doctor said no. And Mummy found out she was going to have a baby just as Daddy had to go away so she didn’t tell him. And Mummy got a big surprise one day and out you started to pop very early.”

“And we were born.” Georgie said.

“Yes, you were first and then Sophie. But Daddy was a long way away and he was dreaming that you were being born.” Ella told them.

She looked up and saw Roman smiling at her from the doorway and she smiled back.

“And you were so tiny.” She finished.

Meggy looked at her.

“My story.” She said.

“Well something horrible happened to Mummy and she moved into this house when she was having you. And daddy sent me flowers and caught Cookie for me so that I would let him move in.”

“That’s not quite the way I remember it.” he grouched from the doorway.

“Shh!” Meggy said to him.

He grinned.

“But I was being stubborn and I said no. So Uncle Miles took daddy for a drink and then had to bring him round here and he started singing.” She grinned.

“And it was so bad I nearly popped out of your tummy.” Meggy said her favourite line.

“So I had to let him move in or he would just keep singing at me.” She smiled at her daughter. “And then Cookie had kittens and you wanted to see the kittens so much you popped out. Daddy was the first to cuddle you.” She told her.

Meggy smiled.

“Now Sammy’s.” she mumbled sleepily.

Sammy climbed on to her lap and put his arms around her.

“Me turn.” He said.

“Well Mummy and Daddy had to move into our old house while the builders were here and Daddy was home and he says to Mummy I wish we could make a baby.” She paused for Sammy to say his best bit.

“And I popped into Mummy’s tummy.”

“That’s right.” She told him. “And now you need to pop into bed.” She added.

Sammy gave a sigh and kissed her before going into his own room. Georgie gave her a hug too before standing up. He held down his hand to her and she accepted his help to get to her feet. She gave them all an extra kiss.

“Where is the new baby going to sleep?” Sophie asked her.

“I have no idea.” Ella said.

She looked at Roman who smiled at her.

“Well we have room for a cot.” Meggy mumbled.

“Sleep.” She instructed. “We’ll think about it.”

Roman switched out the main light and guided her back to bed. He climbed under the covers yawning.

“Where are we going to put everyone?” he asked worriedly.

“Better start building an extension.” She said joking.

He looked over at her.

“Maybe if we persuade Mike to Move out and then get Nic to go we’ll have room.” He muttered and felt her elbow connecting with his ribs.

“Hey I said both of them. I wasn’t discriminating.” He said rubbing his ribs.

“Maybe you should move out and have a think about it.” she added.

“Uh huh. Technically until you are no longer officially dead I own the house.” He pointed out.

She glared at him.

“You own a share of the house.” She muttered. “With the rest being in trust for the children.” She added. “And I intend to do something about the dead part. I need my credit cards!”

She glared at him some more before adding. “And if you ever want sex again you’ll stop telling me I’m dead especially with a smile on your face.”

She rolled over away from him and pulled up the covers.

He grinned and rolled over putting his arms around her.

“The smile is only there because you clearly aren’t dead.” He whispered.

“Don’t try any of your soft soap.” She muttered moving away from him.

“Fine.” He grinned and rolled back over.

He fell asleep waking up a while later when she snuggled against him and rested her head on his shoulder. He pressed a kiss to her forehead and sighed as he fell asleep again his arms around her.

They kept Meggy off school and called for Aden to come and check her over. She was told she had tonsillitis and enjoyed numerous bowls of ice cream.

Ella sat in the study with her solicitor going through the paperwork she needed to get herself officially un-dead. They faxed it through to the banks and her accountant and her agent. It took the whole morning. As her will hadn’t gong through probate none of the bequests had actually gone through leaving her estate intact. She was told that she would have new credit and bank cards issued and with her the following day. She escorted her solicitor out afterwards and went through to the lounge.

“Everything sorted?” he asked.

She nodded.

“I have money again.” She murmured.

“We need to talk.” He told her.

She nodded.

“Not today my head is buzzing. “

He moved over to her and put his arm around her.

“Needs to be today.” He said “Nic is coming home later today.”

She sighed and leaned against him.

“We should make a fuss of her.” Ella said. “I haven’t even got a present for the new baby.”

He took hold of her hand and led her back into the study closing the door behind them.

“Roman I’m not really in the mood for this.” She told him.

“We need to talk. I’ve put it off for the past few days and it can’t wait any longer.”

She looked at him biting her bottom lip and sank into a chair.

He sat opposite her and took hold of her hand. He took a deep breath.

“Geoff has been offered a job up the coast.” He began. “It comes with housing.”

She looked at him.

“Are you telling me they are moving.” She said.

He looked into her eyes.

“It’s not as simple as that. They remember what it was like for you with Meggy.”

She stood up.

“What are you saying?” she asked pacing across the floor.

“They have offered to adopt your baby if you decide you can’t keep it.” he muttered.

She raised frightened eyes to him.

“But do they know what that would mean? I wouldn’t be able to see them again. Nor you.” She gasped. “And the children will want to know why.” She shook her head. “No.” she said immediately.

“El.” He said.

“Are you actually considering this?” she asked him.

He shook his head.

“No it’s the last thing I want. Not because I would lose Nic but for you. I think it would hurt you more.” He denied.

She shook her head.

“No I think you cooked this up with your daughter. Solve a problem. “ She said irrationally and moved to the door.

He swore and vaulted up from his seat and moved over to her.

“I had nothing to do with this. I didn’t even want to tell you but you needed to know there are choices out there. “ He took hold of her and pulled her back against him. He felt her shudder and cursed again.

“Ella please listen to me. If you really can’t handle having this baby then we can sort something out. But I want this baby.” He told her passionately.

She pulled out of his arms and opened the door moving out of it. She went through to Meggy who was curled up asleep on the sofa and looked at her.

Roman stood in the doorway watching her.

She turned looking at him.

“Tell them no.” she said finally. “That isn’t an option.”

He nodded and held his hand out to her.

She looked at his hand and knew it was more than just a gesture. She took a step towards him and then stopped. His gaze found hers.

“El.” He said.

She wiped tears from her face.

“I know I should but I can’t. I love you but I can’t.”

“Can’t what?” he asked.

“Can’t forgive you.” She said finally in a small hurt voice.

“Why can’t you?” he said.

She shook her head.

“Because I don’t know who fathered my baby or how and I’m scared.”

He smiled slowly.

“Are you saying that you think it might be me?” he asked.

She nodded.

“I told you it was safe and I wasn’t sure it was.”

“Uh huh.” He said grinning at her.

“Stop it.” she muttered with a blush.

“I have to say it never occurred to me before now.” He admitted.

She stormed away into the kitchen and started banging pots around. He followed.

“El.” He said softly.

“Go away.”

“You’ve been thinking about it haven’t you? “ he asked.

“What the hell else am I going to think about?” she hissed at him.

He moved swiftly and caught hold of her.

“Ella.” He said.

“Stop it.” she grumbled but the anger was gone.

She sagged against him.

“I love you Ella.” He told her. “I already loved the baby,”

She nodded.

“I know and that made it worse. How could you love a baby that wasn’t yours when I didn’t know how I felt about it?” she said softly.

“Well we need to go shopping and then we should start thinking about baby furniture and where the baby is going to sleep.” He murmured.

She sighed.

“Maybe Mike should move out.” She said. “It would free up a room.”

He chuckled.

“Or maybe we should kick Meggy out and the baby can have her bed.” He suggested.

He heard a grunted comment from the doorway and laughed.

“I heard shopping can we go?” Meggy croaked.

“When we pick up the others we’ll all go.” He said to her.

Ella looked up at him.

He smiled at her and kissed her softly.

“Ok?” he asked.

She nodded.

He smiled.

Archived