Elliot's Return

Guest TelephotoMarigold

Chapter 50

Roman sat in the garden with Ella. He’d opened a bottle of rather nice wine and was enjoying a glass. Ella had a tall glass of orange juice and lemonade over ice, not drinking because she was still feeding Lily. He sighed, easing out the tension of the day.

“You need to do something about security Hardcore.” Jacko called walking down the garden towards them.

“No need, we’ve already had out visit from the resident psycho today.” He replied with a grin.

He caught sight of Ella’s expression and he ginned at her.

“It’s not funny you know.” She muttered.

He chuckled before lifting their joined hands and pressing a kiss on hers.

Jacko chuckled too looking over at them.

“Wine?” he questioned after a minute seeing what was in the other man’s glass.

“Not just any wine Jacko it cost $160 a bottle.” Ella told him casting a sly glance at Roman’s dace.

“Hey.” Roman groaned. “It has sentimental value too.”

She grinned at him.

“Huh?” Jacko questioned.

“A while back we were going through a slight rough patch.” Ella began to explain.

“Slight?” Roman asked. “You filed for divorce.”

“You gave me your wedding ring back.” She countered.

“You were being stubborn.” Roman said quickly.

“Well you are the expert on that.” Ella muttered lifting her legs onto the bench and curling them around her.

“Er guys, the rough patch, got it., moving on.” Jacko said quickly.

Ella grinned before taking a sip of her drink.

“I needed to get away for the weekend so I went to this hotel and got given a room.” Roman explained.

“It was my room.” Ella filled in the next part.

“We had dinner and well.” Roman paused looking over at Ella who had started to blush.

“That’s when I first tasted this wine.” Roman finished.

“You do realise you are as stubborn as each other don’t you?” he asked them. “When one of you gets on your high horse the other one had to get on a bigger high horse.”

Ella nodded.

“Oh yeah, we know that. Hopefully, we’ve got past some of that.” She murmured even as she felt Roman put his arm around her back.

He leaned over and pressed a kiss to the top of her head feeling her snuggle into him.

“What are you about to tell us?” Ella asked the other man watching as he sat down in a chair that he’d pulled up to their bench.

“Elliot has left Summer Bay.” He murmured. “The house is on the market. Maybe something you said to him today got through.”

Ella shook her head.

“No he’ll be back.” She said looking up in the beautiful sky and seeing an ominous black cloud heading their way.

Jacko and Roman shared a glance before either of them spoke.

“El.” Roman murmured.

“I don’t know why or how but I know he’ll be back. And suddenly I’m afraid.”

Roman nodded and felt her shiver.

“I’m sorry Girlie.” Jacko said quietly.

She caught his eye and nodded.

“Can you fetch my cardigan?” she asked Roman.

He smiled before standing up.

“You want a drink?” he asked the other man.

“Please.” Jacko said.

Roman chuckled.

“I’ll be back.” He smiled down at Ella before moving away.

Jacko waited until the other man was gone before looking at Ella.

“What is her name?” she asked.

“Leona.” Jacko said quietly telling Ella the name of the woman Roman had disappeared with the night they had gotten him drunk. “We’re tracking her down now.”

Ella nodded acknowledgement.

“Jacko I’m scared.” She told him suddenly.

“I am sorry.” He said again.

“Don’t keep saying that. I can’t get upset.” She muttered rubbing her arms. “Tracking her down?”

“She left her apartment without a forwarding address.” Jacko muttered. “She’s not our priority Ella, we need to know what Elliot is planning.”

Ella took a long drink out of her glass and pinned a smile on her face. Jacko took the hint and asked her when they had planted the fruit trees.

“About 4 years ago.” She murmured cheerfully. “Roman makes all sorts of things with the fruit. Me, I just eat it.”

“Hardcore’s home made jam?” Jacko asked a sly grin on his handsome face.

“You got a problem with that?” Roman asked from behind him.

“Nope.” Jacko muttered still grinning.” Not at all.”

“Good.” Roman said smiling.

He handed the other man a glass and watched him take an appreciative sniff of the amber coloured liquid.

“Malt?” he asked.

Roman nodded quickly before turning his attention to Ella and placing her cardigan around her shoulders.

“The kids have gone up to bed.” He told her sitting down next to her on the bench.

She smiled rubbing her hand along his leg.

“Starting something woman?” he asked with a mock growl.

Ella laughed.

“Nope.” she muttered.

“So tell me.” Jacko said quietly talking a long sip from his glass.” You ever confessed about…”

“No!” Roman exclaimed quickly.

“What’s this?” Ella asked them leaning forward.

“Nothing.” Roman said before Jacko could say anything.

“Roman.” Ella murmured looking at him out the corner of her eye.

“Seems like you should tell her.” Jacko said.

“I’m going to have too, now aren’t I?” Roman asked the other man.

Jacko laughed leaning back in his chair.

“I wasn’t drunk.” Roman said.

She glared at him.

“When?” she asked.

“The night he called you to come get me from Papa Joe’s.”

Ella giggled.

“I know that. “

“You do?” Roman and Jacko asked in unison.

She nodded, her hand stroking his leg again.

“You went to bed without singing or other stupid antic.” She told him. “It did take me a day to realise it but well if you were willing to go to that length then I could let you think you’d fooled me.”

He chuckled leaning over to kiss her.

“That was special.” He said looking into her eyes.

She knew immediately what he was talking about and she blushed grateful it was getting dark and Jacko wouldn't be able to tell she was blushing.

“Yes well.” Jacko said suddenly.

Ella giggled before she heard murmuring from the baby monitor beside her.

“I’m going to go in and see to her.” she told them easing up.

Roman stood too but she shook her head at him.

“I’ll tell the kids goodnight from you. Stay here and enjoy your wine.” She instructed placing a quick kiss to his lips. She gathered her drink and the monitor before leaning over and placing a kiss on Jacko’s cheek.

“You know you and Leah would make a wonderful couple.” She told him softly before moving into the house.

Jacko watched her go before turning to Roman.

“Am I about to be married off?” he asked his old friend.

Roman nodded.

“Afraid so.” He murmured. “Now what did you have to tell her when I was despatched to fetch her cardigan?”

Jacko looked into his glass before looking over at Roman.

“The woman you hooked up with.” He began. “Her name is Leona. We’re tracking her down.”

Roman drained his glass and refilled it.

“Sorry.” Jacko told him.

“Don’t be sorry. You thought I needed help and you know, maybe I did. I missed her with every heartbeat Jacko. Missed her in bed beside me. Laughing at me as I made us breakfast. I missed her leaving wet towels everywhere when she was mad at me.” Roman sighed.

Jacko took a long drink.

“Sammy phoned me Roman. He was worried about you. About you drinking so much. I think he’d also contacted Mike.”

Roman nodded again, absorbing the words his friend was saying.

“That might have been why Mike decided to ..”

“Still don’t understand how that happened.” Jacko said quietly. “He hit you and yet he’s still alive.”

“Ella, if she really had have been dead, that is, would have come back and killed me.” Roman said with a slow smile.

“Now that I can understand.” Jacko said when he’d stopped laughing.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 51

Roman climbed out of his car and found a case of beer on the doorstep with a note attached to it. He grinned when he recognised El’s handwriting.

“Go to Miles and drink contents of case, me and the girls are having a girlie evening.” He read out loud and chuckled.

“Does this mean I can’t come in?” he asked.

El threw open the door and he saw her smile.

“Only if you want a pedicure and a makeover and talk about girlie stuff.” She told him.

He stepped forward and kissed her.

“Going to make it worthwhile for me?” he asked her.

She pressed herself closer to him.

“Maybe if you are lucky. But I warn you I will be drinking tonight.”

He laughed.

“Great.” He said his eyes lighting up. “I love it when you are a drunken slut.”

“Hey!” she muttered looking up at him.

“Well it’s true. All those inhibitions melt away and you can’t get enough of me.” He told her kissing her again and feeling her melt against him.

“Like I have that many inhibitions left.” She told him, her eyes shining.

“God I love you.” He said to her looking into her eyes and seeing her smiling kissable lips.

“Go drink enjoy.” She instructed. “Miles is expecting you.”

He smiled and she watched as the corners of his eyes crinkled up.

“El.” He said softly.

She leaned up and kissed him.

“I love you.” She said and saw him smile. “Now go before we have to put a face mask on you.”

He chuckled and out the case of beer in the back before climbing in the front and setting off. Ella waited until he was gone before heading back into the house. She smiled at Sophie who had been waiting behind her.

“Are we going to use all of those?” she asked pointing to the beauty products set out on the table.

Nic nodded.

“Of course. We are going to do everything.” She said picking up a tube of oatmeal face pack and grinning.

Rachel and Belle laughed at the look on her face.

“Come here.” Nic instructed her sister.

“No chance.” Sophie said and escaped upstairs.

Ella laughed and moved over to the table picking up her favourite cucumber mask.

“Has everyone got drinks?” she asked before she started applying it.

“Yup.” Rachel murmured. “So come on Nic what have you got planned for me?” she asked the other woman.

Nic picked up a sauna mask and undid the small packet.

“I think we can got for this one.” She murmured and handed Rachel a headband to keep her hair away from her face.

Rachel put it on and shook her curls out so they flowed down her back. She sat in a chair by the table and let Nic smooth on the creamy mask feeling her skin tighten as a result.

Belle looked at them and eased onto a nearby chair and began to look through the masks in the packets.

“Chocolate?” she asked.

Ella nodded.

“Amazing isn’t it.” she murmured before washing off her mask.

“Nope.” Belle said quickly. “It’s a bloody waste.”

Rachel looked over at her and laughed.

“Hey!” Nic muttered. “You’ll break your mask.”

“Sorry.” She mumbled, her lips half closed.

Belle giggled and opened the packet sniffing at the rich chocolate smell.

“No.” Ella told her. “You are not allowed to eat it.”

Belle looked at her indignantly before spoiling it with a pout.

Ella chuckled and went into the kitchen pulling out a packet of chocolates and placing them on the table. Belle dived in taking a foil wrapped treat and opening the wrapper.

“So tell us about you and Roman.” Rachel said softly through taut lips.

“Yeah!” Echoed Leah walking in through the door with a bottle of wine in her hand.

“Hey.” Ella greeted her.

“No changing the subject. He was singing at work the other day.” She told her.

Ella shook her head.

“I’m so sorry about that.” She murmured catching sight of Nic cringing.

“So why is my dad singing? Bearing in mind I will be drinking a lot of alcohol so I can forget this conversation later!” Nci asked.

“I don’t know.” Ella said looking at them. “It’s just really good at the moment.”

“Really good or orgasmic?” Rachel asked, half mumbling. “Because I remember what you…”

“Shut up!” Ella stood up and glared at the other woman. “We so don’t mention that.”

Leah looked at one then the other before Ella sank on to the chair.

“Fine!” she conceded. “I called his penis the orgasmatron.”

She blushed and covered her face up with her hands.

“Yup.” Leah said quietly. “I mean that’s some name.”

Ella glared at her.

“Leah!” Belle gasped even though her mouth was full of chocolate.

“Yuk!” Nic muttered spitting out the mouthful of wine she was in the process of drinking.

“Sorry.” Ella gasped out.

“So you like every night?” Belle asked leaning forward.

“If I know them it’s like every day and every night.” Nic said with a sigh.

“Planning to talk to Geoff?” Ella asked her grinning.

Nic nodded.

“Oh yeah. I mean you guys are like old and well…” she said.

Leah giggled sinking down into one of the other chairs.

“Every night?” she asked indelicately.

Ella grinned some more.

“You do realise as your doctor I have to warn you that too much sex is bad for you.” Rachel said softly. “You keep walking around glowing like this and one of us older married folks is liable to push you off a cliff."

Ella looked at her and giggled.

“I’m sorry.” She said eventually laughing really hard for the first time in ages. “It’s just that we never were able to keep our hands off each other for long.”

“Hello, I have three sisters and two brothers! I think we’ve all noticed that!” Nic said with a flounce and sank back in her chair. She reached out and took a chocolate out of the bowl on the table and stuffed it whole into her mouth.

“Who was your first?” Leah asked Rachel pouring out refills into the empty glasses.

Rachel dipped a cloth into a bowl of warm water and began cleaning off the mask.

“Darren Morgan.” She said quickly. “I was 16 and he was..” she paused and then wiggled her little finger.

Leah laughed.

“My cousin.” She said. “In Athens one rainy afternoon. Well not really my cousin, he was several times removed but you know what Greek families are like.”

Nic chuckled taking a sip of wine.

“Would you believe Geoff?” she asked them trying to look innocent.

“Yes, of course we will and oh look, a flying pig.” Ella told her smiling.

Nic giggled.

“Oh well it was worth a shot. It was Brad somebody.” She muttered and looked at Belle.

“I can’t remember his name.” She confessed after a minute. “All I can think about is the wonderful one and a half minutes we had.” She added in a sarcastic tone.

They turned and looked at Ella.

“Well?” Rachel asked after a minute.

“I really have to tell you?” she murmured looking down.

“Oh my god!” Nic exclaimed.

Rachel and Leah looked at each other in realisation.

“Fine.” Ella began. “It was Roman.”

“Roman?” Leah spluttered.

Ella nodded.

“I suppose it was instant bliss?” Rachel said softly and watched with a grin, as Ella blushed even more.

“Yes it was wonderful ok. “ she confessed taking a slow drink of the wine. “He was so romantic and caring and shy.”

“Our Roman?” Leah asked quickly.

“My dad?” Nic muttered.

Ella nodded.

“He knew that we were approaching that point in our relationship and tried to end it.”

“That makes no sense.” Nic muttered then looked at the others who seemed to have a soppy expression on their faces.

“That is so romantic.” Rachel said softly.

Ella smiled at the memories.

“That’s when he told me he loved me.”

“Before you did the deed?” Belle asked reaching for another chocolate. “And he wasn’t trying to get into your pants?”

Ella nodded.

“Yup.” She murmured.

“Then what? Aside from the obvious bit.” Rachel asked grinning herself.

“Well we went to dinner and talked and just seemed to melt into each other. And went to bed. It was so loving.” She finished looking at them then added. “Roman was more nervous than me.”

She sighed and then blushed.

“Woah, you’ve remembered something else about it.” Leah guessed.

“Sorry.” Ella muttered.

Nic stood up and made her way to the stairs.

“You can tell them now.” She called out moving up the stairs to use the bathroom.

“Well?” Leah asked.

Ella glared at her before sighing. She reached out to her glass and took a long drink from it.

“I wondered how it would fit.” She said more into the glass than out loud.

“You mean…?”Belle asked.

Ella nodded, her face bright red.

“Wow.” Belle said softly. “And I thought Aden was..” she stopped and reached for another chocolate.

Nic coughed in the doorway before walking back into the room.

“Lily is waking up.” She told Ella and watched her nod.

She stood up and moved to the doorway.

“Bring her down.” Leah begged.

Ella chucked.

“Into this conversation?” she asked them. “You’ll traumatise her!”

Rachel and Leah laughed.

“We’ll be good.” Belle promised tracing a disjointed cross with her finger in midair somewhere near her chest.

Ella giggled and went to see to her daughter.

“I hate them.” Leah said after a moment.

Rachel nodded.

“Yeah she’s just so nice and they are so much in love.” She added.

Nic chuckled.

“Try having her for a mother.” She told them.

Belle looked at her and grinned.

“Wish she was?” she asked Nic.

“Oh yeah!” Nic said not even pausing to think about it.

“Here she is.” Ella called out softly, holding Lily in her arms.

“Ah!” Leah cried out walking over to them. “She is so beautiful.”

Rachel grinned.

“We should add she has beautiful babies to the hate list.”

“Hate list?” Ella asked.

“Oh yeah, we’re putting together reasons why we hate you.”

“You’re perfect.” Nic said counting on her fingers.

“You are Roman are totally in love after like a million years together.” Belle piped up.

“We’d come up with loads of things but well we can’t.” Rachel added and the others nodded.

“And to think you are supposed to be my friends.” She told them.

“Yeah yeah,” Leah said. “Just give me the baby.”

Ella grinned and placed Lily in the other woman’s arms.

“She is so beautiful.” Leah said. “Can I keep her? Go on you won’t notice one missing.” She said and then bit her lip.

Ella smiled and put her arm around Leah.

“No you can’t keep her.” she said quietly. “I have no idea how I would explain her disappearance to her dotting papa.” She murmured and pressed a kiss to Leah’s cheek.

“Sorry.” Leah murmured.

“It’s ok. Sammy doesn’t remember anything and we’ve come to terms with losing Francesca.” She said quietly.

“So my dad dotes on her, huh?” Nic asked in the sudden silence. “Hey, why don’t you tell these ladies where your wedding rings are?” she murmured.

“I never even noticed.” Leah said. “Roman hasn’t worn his for a while.”

“We visited Francesca’s grave.” Ella began sitting back at the table. “And I wanted to leave something special with her but I didn’t have anything.”

“Your rings?” Rachel guessed.

Ella nodded.

“I took mine off because I still had this.” She said showing her eternity ring. “But then Roman put his hand on mine and took his ring off too.”

Rachel sighed. She debated whether to tell her what she knew, covering up the pause with a sip of wine.

“There is something special with Francesca.” Rachel told her.

Ella sat up and looked at her.

“Roman wrote a poem on the back of a photograph of you and the children. He put it in the coffin with a small teddy bear. He said he didn’t want her in the dark without you being with her in some way.”

“Oh my god.” Nic gasped.

Ella shot up from her chair.

“Really?” she asked Rachel and saw the other woman nod. “Why didn’t he tell me? Oh god, I was so mean to him.”

Nic moved over to her and placed her arms around Ella.

“You weren’t mean you were grieving.” Nic told her.

Ella sighed.

“But I was. I just blanked him. I thought he couldn’t understand my pain. But he did didn’t he?” she asked them.

Rachel and Belle looked at each and then moved over to her.

“He was hurting too. More so because he couldn’t ease your pain.” Rachel told her.

Ella wiped at a tear falling down her cheek.

“But don’t forget how wonderful you’ve been supporting him through this Elliot business.” Nic began. “You’ve got him to the point where he can accept what happened with Mark, just by being with him and letting him be there for you Ella. I know how hard it is for you to rely on someone after what you’ve been through.”

“Thank you daughter.” Ella murmured.

“No problem Mama.” Nic grinned. “And now we are all depressed lets find some more chocolate because knowing my sister she’s eaten it all.”

“I haven’t.” Belle said and then looked guiltily at the bowl.

“Oh please, I knew Belle was coming. I have extra chocolate in the cupboard.” Ella said with a grin.

They all laughed with Leah being careful not to wake Lily.

Chapter 52

Roman drove home slowly thinking about other things before pulling up outside the house. He saw the light still on downstairs and grinned to himself. He climbed out of the car and went into the house. Ella was curled up on the sofa in front of a flickering tv.

“Hey wife.” He murmured.

She blinked up at him.

“I’m drunk.” She told him.

He chuckled.

“Come on bed.” He said softly switching off the tv. “Did you have a good time?” he asked.

She nodded.

“now I want sex.” She said and held her arms up to him.

“Maybe if you are a good girl.” He said smiling at her.

She pouted.

“But you know I am a very good girl. It’s you who needs spanking.” She told him a wicked gleam in her eye.

“Planning something?” he asked helping her to sit up.

She smiled.

“Maybe.” She said back putting her arms around his neck. “Carry me.” She instructed.

He laughed and picked her up carrying her up the stairs and through to their bedroom switching out lights on the way.

She stood slowly and moved to the door.

“Ella?” he asked.

“Need to check on Lily.” She said in a loud whisper.

“You aren’t in a fit state.” He chuckled.

Ella glared at him as he moved away. She heard him speaking softly to their daughter and smiled before stripping off her clothes and climbing naked into the bed. She was half asleep when he joined her in the bed.

“Hey!” he grumbled. “What happened to all the hot kinky sex you promised me.”

“Rain check.” She mumbled into her pillow.

He chuckled and moved over to put his arms around her.

“They hate us.” She told him softly.

“Hate?” Roman asked moving until he was leaning on one arm so that he could look down on her.

She rolled on her back.

“We’re too happy and we have too much sex.” She told him.

He laughed.

“Sorry but you are way too sexy and hot and wicked to keep my hands off you.” He said softly.

She laughed at his words before she kissed him.

Roman looked into her eyes and ran his hands down her naked body. He sighed when she moved restlessly under his touch.

“We’ve not always been happy though, have we?” he asked her.

She nodded.

“No we haven’t. Roman.” She looked into his eyes suddenly serious. “Why didn’t you tell me about what you put in with Francesca?”

“Ah, Rachel.” He murmured.

She nodded.

“Well sweetheart, we weren’t talking.” He said rolling over on to his back.

She looked over at him and saw his profile. His jaw had tightened and she knew he was mentally preparing himself for a fight. She should be able to recognise the signs by now.

Ella moved over in the bed pressing herself against him. She reached out and traced a finger down his profile.

“I’m sorry.” She told him. “Thank you for taking care of us.”

He sighed then, releasing his tightly held breath.

“El.” He began.

“I’m here.” She whispered.

“I had to do something.” He began haltingly. “We weren’t talking so I couldn’t come to you. She was so small, so incredibly tiny El. And I had to stand and watch while you fell apart unable to do anything except hold you when you let me.”

She sighed at his words before moved closed to him and kissing him.

“Thank you.” She said quietly. “I love you.”

“Ella.” He said suddenly his voice loud in the quiet of the night. “I had Rachel find out why she died because I thought you would need to know one day and because.” He had to stop when his voice broke. Taking a deep breath he tried again. “Because when I hurt you that time I needed to know it wasn’t because of that.”

She gasped a sob tearing through her.

“No, god no. “ she moaned. “No tell me you didn’t think that. Roman she moved inside me after that ok. You didn’t hurt us.“

He sighed.

“I did El, I know what I told you but a part of me was so angry that I wanted to hurt you. I couldn’t bear the thought of you with somebody else.”

“Shush now, my husband. You’ve told me so let it go. You’ve been there for me every time I’ve been hurting and I am so sorry I wasn’t there for you. Thank you for taking care of Francesca.”

He shook beside her in the big bed feeling her warmth as she pressed herself against him.

“I’m supposed to be strong.” He said quietly.

“You are strong, nothing is going to take that from you but you need to let yourself feel pain. It’s letting yourself feel pain that makes you human. Roman, my wonderful beautiful husband, I love you so much.”

He turned suddenly and pulled her hard against him, wrapping his arms tight around her.

“I killed him.” he gasped out. “I killed Mark.”

She reached up and kissed him on the corner of his mouth, gently stroking his cheek.

“Tell me.” she encouraged.

“He panicked. We couldn’t talk him round. There were Taliban all around us. We needed to fallback and regroup but Mark was desperate. I don’t know what he was thinking but he climbed behind the wheel and started it up. Gardy was in front crouched down. If Mark had put his foot down he would have run over him. That was our transport out of there. The Radio was down. I had to stop him.” He paused sucking in a deep breath. “I fired a warning shot but he didn’t stop. So I did it.”

“And Mark was dead.” He finished.

“But your men were alive. And you’ve helped so many others, Aden for one. “ She murmured. “Miles, and everyone in Phuket after the Tsunami. The aid work you did. Are you going to tell me that you did that out of guilt Roman because I can’t believe that. You are a good person who was in a tough situation. You weigh up that one moment against everything you’ve done and everyone who is here today who wouldn’t have been. It was a tragedy and I’m sorry.” She told him. “I’m sorry that it hurts you now and I’m sorry that you were forced to do that.”

He looked into her eyes seeing them fill with tears.

“Shush.” He said mirroring her.

“Sorry.” She told him when the tears overflowed. “I just don’t like things that hurt you.”

He smiled slowly.

“Ella I love you.” He murmured.

She kissed him slowly.

He tangled his hands in her hair pulling gently on the long silken tresses.

“Make love to me.” He said to her.

She smiled.

“Of course.” She said looking deep into his eyes.

She moved her hands all over his body, pressing them against the hard plains of his muscles. Stroking him, feeling his silken skin under her fingers. She lowered her head to his chest and trailed kisses down to his navel. She swirled her tongue around his belly button and then back up. Taking his flat male nipple into her mouth she suckled gently while her fingers found and teased the other one.

“Now.” He moaned.

She looked up her eyes meeting with his. She felt his hands move to her waist as he lifted her above him until she was straddling him. They moved together until they fit as one.

“I love you.” He moaned as they began to make love.

She leaned forward her hair tumbling around her face as she lowered her lips to his.

“Tell me you’ve forgiven yourself.” she instructed him.

He laughed.

“Uh huh.” He moaned. “That is not playing fair.” He ground out.

She moved seductively against him.

“I fight dirty when it affects my family you should know that by now.” She said her breath coming in gasps.

He reached for her and pulled her head towards him kissing her deeply before wrapping his arms around her and rolling them over in the big bed.

“If this is war you should surrender.” He said thrusting deep within her.

She giggled and ran her hands down his spine before cupping his taut buttocks. He felt the press on her nails in his flesh and gasped at the pleasure pain thing.

“Are you sure you want to play?” she asked him.

She trailed kisses along the side of his neck before tugging his earlobe between her teeth.

He gasped.

“Ok.” he moaned. “I forgive myself.”

She giggled, her hot breath fanning his neck.

“Make love to me Roman.” She said softly. “Let me feel you lose control with me.”

Chapter 53

Roman woke slowly and looked over at Ella. She was smiling at him.

“Hey.” She murmured.

“Hey yourself.” he replied.

She leaned forward and kissed him.

“I love you Roman and you are my hero. I believe in you.” Ella murmured gently, her hand placed over his cheek.

“Thank you.” He said. His eyes slipped away to focus on the ceiling above them.

“You don’t believe me?” she asked.

“Ella last night.” He began and stopped when the door opened.

“Daddy.” Georgie called. “Are we going to get breakfast soon?”

Ella sighed and sat up.

“I’ll be down in a bit.” She told him.

“El.” Roman protested.

“Stay here.” She instructed. “We have unfinished business.” She added in a stern tone of voice.

He eased back on the pillows adjusting them behind him.

“I have my orders.“ he said softly and smiled at Georgie.

Ella pulled on her dressing gown over her nightdress and moved down the stairs and to the door. She tightened the belt as she approached the kitchen.

“What do you all want?” she asked looking round at the children who of course all started talking at once.

“So breakfast cereal it is.” She announced and took out a stack of cowls.

“I wanted toast.” Sammy screamed trying to be heard over the others.

She turned round and looked at all of them her hands on her hips. They all tried to tell her what they wanted again and she raised her hand and put her finger to her lips in the classic shush gesture and waited until they were quiet.

“Breakfast cereal I told you.” She murmured.

They glared at her and then chuckled as Roman grabbed hold of her and lifted her up.

“Are you trying to feed my kids junk food?” he asked her.

“Put me down you idiot.” She gasped out. “You frightened the life out of me.”

He laughed and lowered her gently to her feet before spinning her around and kissing her.

“Well?” he asked.

“Fine. You do breakfast and I’ll go see to Lily.”

“She’s not crying Mummy.” Sammy pointed out.

“I know but with all this screaming she’s bound to be awake, Sammy my boy.” Ella murmured to her son and watched as he blushed. She giggled and bent down to place a kiss to his lips.

Roman smiled at her and moved to the fridge to take a look inside. He pulled out eggs and bread and looked at them.

“Special eggs? “Sammy asked him. “Please?”

Ella laughed as Roman ducked back inside the fridge to pull out cheese to add to the scrambled eggs. He began making the breakfasts and she moved up the stairs slowly.

“Mum.” Sophie called to her.

She paused and looked at her daughter.

“Can I have museli and yoghurt please?” she asked. “I’ll add a banana to it.” she bargained.

Ella nodded.

“Yes.” She murmured to her.

Sophie ran up the steps and kissed her.

“Thanks mum.” She said quickly and ran into the kitchen to get her breakfast.

Ella chuckled to herself and ran the rest of the way up the stairs and into the nursery. She saw that Lily was awake and smiled at her daughter.

“Hello my girl.” She said softly picking her up and cradling her in her arms. She moved over to the rocking chair and eased down into it preparing to feed her daughter. The crash of breaking glass catapulted her out of the chair and across the room. She moaned sickly as she saw the rock land in the crib in the same spot her baby’s head had been only moments earlier. Tears poured down her face and she began shaking.

“What’s going on?” Roman asked at the doorway.

He took in the broken glass and the rock in a single glance before turning around and running back down the stairs. He was out the front door before Ella could stop him.

“Roman!” she called her frightened voice could only just be heard above the crying from Lily.

He raced after the car screaming out of the driveway slamming his hands on the back of the car cursing as it moved quickly away. He stopped breathing heavily cursing under his breath, as he had to stand there and see Elliot moving away. He knew the man would be smug at getting a reaction but he couldn’t help the stream of anger that went through him. Turning he saw Ella standing in the doorway watching him. She still held on to Lily and Georgie was standing next to her.

“El.” He said softly.

“No.” he heard her say. “Deal with it Roman.” She added her voice bitter.

Ella turned and looked at the children.

“Pack your stuff we’re going to the studio for a few days.” She instructed in a tone of voice they didn’t argue with. They moved away and up the stairs.

“Ella.” He said softly moving over to her.

She shook her head.

“I don’t want to hear it Roman. He nearly got her. You need to deal with it.” she told him again. She moved inside and up the stairs. He sighed, going back into the kitchen. He took the blackened breakfast pan off the heat and dumped it in the sink. He was still there when Ella and the children came back down the stairs. He saw Ella load all the children in the car with their bags going in the back.

She closed the car and walked over to him.

“Sort this Roman. “ she told him again, echoing her earlier words.

She sighed at the look on his face and bit her lip to stop herself saying something else. She tugged off her eternity ring and placed it in his hand.

“When it’s over I’ll be waiting.” She murmured and pressed a chaste kiss to his lips. He reached for her only to feel her slip from his grasp. She moved out the door and into the car. He watched as she drove off feeling his heart sink to his boots.

He turned the ring in his fingers watching as the stones caught and refracted the light. Time to get serious, he thought to himself and moved up the stairs and to the storage part of the attic where he kept his storage locker. He clicked in the numbers to the padlock and opened the trunk. Taking out the top layer he pulled out his knife and his jungle camouflage. He added his boots to the pile of things and locked the trunk back up. Carrying them back to the bedroom he laid them out on the bed before walking through to the bathroom. He took out the clippers and began work on his hair shaving it close to his skull. Locks of blond sandy hair fell to the floor around his feet but he ignored them until he was done. He ran his hand over the cut before climbing naked under the hot water scrubbing at his skin. Once clean he moved back into the bedroom and suited up.

He pulled on underwear and added a black vest before donning the fatigues and the boots. He laced them up tightly strapping the knife to his leg. He reached out and grabbed a spare leather lace hooking it around the ring and fastening it around his neck. Roman caught sight of himself in the mirror before heading down the stairs. The solider was back.

Chapter 54

Roman walked slowly down the stairs feeling the tightened boots around his ankles as he tested the fastenings. He flexed his ankles, letting his feet spring down to the next step. It felt as though he had never taken the boots off despite it being more than ten years since he had worn them. A polish ever few months had kept them in good condition ready for when he needed them.

The knife felt unfamiliar in his hands before he’d strapped the deadly blade to his leg but he knew it would only be a matter of moments before he would feel that the blade was an extension of his hand. He needed to check that the dark blade was share enough, although he knew it would be. The blade itself was a dull colour and not the silver sheen of ordinary knives for the soul purpose of discretion.

When he reached the bottom of the stairs the front door opened and Jacko walked in.

“Hardcore.” He greeted him, standing comically straighter as he took in the clothes and the haircut.

“Jacko, where is he?” Roman asked cutting through the other man’s thoughts.

“Ella?” he asked.

Roman shook his head.

“She’s gone.” He bit out feeling the length of leather lace around his neck, the ring almost searing his skin. “But you should know that.” He added moving away from him and to the kitchen.

“She did call.” Jacko said quietly.

“Then why ask.” Roman shrugged pouring out a cup of coffee for himself.

“Checking that she would be coming back. She was a little upset.”

Roman turned then and looked at the other man.

“Tell me where Elliot is. We finish this.” He bit out once more.

Jacko shook his head.

“The mood you are in?” he questioned.

“The mood I’m in Elliot will be lucky if I kill him quickly and spare him some pain.” Roman said tautly.

“Exactly why we aren’t telling you.” Jacko muttered.

Roman took a sip of the lukewarm brew and grimaced at the taste.

“Jacko I’m not going to ask again.” He said softly and also menacingly.

Jacko looked at him for a moment before walking back through the front door. Roman heard muffled talking and knew the other man was on the phone. He walked back in after a moment and handed the phone to Roman.

“Yes.” Roman bit out once more.

“I want you to sort it but not kill him.” Ella said quickly.

He could tell she had been crying and he felt another stab tear thorough his heart.

“Ella.” He began to say his voice softening.

“I know Roman. You have to do this to get it out of your system but until you promise me that you aren’t deliberately setting out to kill him I won’t let Jacko tell you where he is. I know I pushed this and I’m sorry, but you know what it will do to us if…” she stopped talking unable to say anymore but he knew what she was thinking anyway.

“Ella.” He said and sighed.

He felt the torture of being the solider and the husband come to the forefront in that moment and understood just how much of himself he hid from her.

“Ella I can’t promise.” He said finally.

“That’s what I thought.” She said and he heard her sob through the phone. He handed it back to Jacko and turned away from them moving out the back and looking into the garden.

Jacko joined him after a moment.

“He’s here.” He said quietly and placed a map on the table.

Roman turned and looked at it scanning the contents of the map in a single glance and memorising it. He moved closer and saw the area Jacko pointed out. In a moment he had plotted the way to enter the area that would give him the maximum coverage and surprise.

“Well Hardcore what’s the plan?” Jacko asked quietly.

“Here.” Roman said pointing to an area on the map. “That’s where I’m going in. I’m going to drive him through here and then ..” he stopped and looked up as Pete and James walked around the corner of the house.

“My wife has been busy.” He murmured a hint of bitterness entering his voice.

“Very busy.” Pete told him and grinned. “We’re here purely as back up.”

Roman shook his head.

“Hardcore.” Jacko said quickly.

He looked up at his old sergeant. His blue eyes flinty cold.

“We should have been around the first time you dealt with this scum.” He murmured with Pete and James nodding their assent.

“And we should have backed you up back in the day with Mark. You shouldn’t have gone to jail for what you did.” Pete added quietly. “So yes your wife called us but we’re not here on her behalf, we’re here because we owe you.”

James smiled before sitting down in a spare chair.

“If you could go back in time Hardcore would you do things different?” he asked, rubbing a hand over his face, his tone of voice not the normal laid back tone that they associated with him.

“How can you ask me that?” he told them that bitter tone not leaving his voice. “IF I did things different I doubt that Ella would be my wife. We wouldn’t have the kids and yet.” He stopped and looked agonised. “If I had let Mark go, he would have killed Gardy .” He murmured quietly. “And he wouldn’t ever have hurt El.”

“So is this about El?” Jacko said after a pause.

Roman shook his head.

“No this is about me.” He decided eventually. “I have to finish this. It has to end for me.”

Jacko nodded and looked at the others.

“The plan?” Pete asked.

Roman looked at each of them in turn before looking over at the map.

“I go in here.” He began again. “I push Elliot towards you.”

“Tire him out.” Jacko guessed.

Roman nodded.

“And then we turn him over to the police.” He concluded, Ella’s words echoing through his head.

Jacko, Pete and James looked at each other.

“Sorted.” James said with a grin.

They moved together as a singe unit once more pulling bags and equipment out of the cars and getting ready for the next bit. Roman watched quietly before going up the stairs and looking once more in the nursery. He moved over and touched the rock that had been thrown through the window, seeing the pale yellow curtains blowing at the breeze flowing through the broken windowpane.

He knew deep inside himself that Ella loved him, he felt it with each beat of his heart. She was doing this for him. After last night when he had finally told her the story about Mark, although much of it she had already picked up, she knew he needed to do this.

“Hardcore?” Pete murmured. “Are you ready?”

Roman sighed and then squared his shoulders. He turned and walked back down the stairs.

“We do this.” He said.

They moved out.

Chapter 55

“Let me get this straight.” Nic murmured sitting opposite the still crying Ella. “You’ve told my dad to go after Elliot?” she asked again. “And he thinks you are at the studio with the children but really you are just letting him think that so he can go sort this out.”

They were seated in the lounge of the beach house. Ella nodded and sipped at the weak tea that Belle had placed in her hands a moment ago her eyes drifting around the room at the decorating that Nic and Geoff had already done to make the place into their home.

“He needs to get this Mark stuff out of his system.” Ella said again and wiped ineffectually at her eyes. “And the only way he can do that is by sorting Elliot out.”

Belle looked at Nic.

“Ok, we get that but why are you crying?” Belle asked.

“Because I’m scared that he will kill him.” she said and began to sob again.

Belle moved over to sit next to her taking the teacup out of Ella’s shaking hands. She put her arms around her shoulders and hugged her.

“It might be the only way to deal with him.” Nic said a trace of anger in her tone.

Ella nodded.

“I know.” Ella said pulling herself upright. “But not Murder Nic, your dad can’t commit murder and that’s what it would be.”

“I think he’s done a lot of stuff in his time.” Nic began to say and was interrupted by Ella shaking her head.

“I know him Nic, I know his dreams and his hurts. I knew what he went through in Afghanistan while I was with him and when the Mark stuff happened it changed him. Stopped us from being together because it twisted him up inside. I don’t want that again.”

Nic moved over to her then and knelt down taking Ella’s hands in her own.

“Ok Step mama.” She murmured. “I understand.”

“I told Jacko and Pete and James.” Ella whispered. “I guilted them into going to Roman.”

“They were there at the time weren’t they?” Nic asked quietly.

Ella nodded.

“They were surrounded and Mark panicked and climbed in the four by four. He started to drive off leaving them there. Your dad fired a warning shot. Gardy was kneeling down in front of the vehicle. It was either Mark or Gardy and they needed the vehicle to get out of there,” Ella told her sensing that Nic needed to know.

Nic nodded understanding.

“I knew it was something like that. He wouldn’t let me attend the court case.”

Belle sighed.

“I thinks its more than that.” She said to them.

Ella nodded agreement.

“He doesn’t want that part of him to invade his life here.” Ella told them.

“Like it will contaminate his life.” Belle suggested.

Ella looked at her daughter-in-law and then at Nic and nodded.

“Yes exactly.” She murmured her tears finally drying up.

“Then I understand why you sent him off now Step mama.” Nic told her.

They looked up as the children came in with Danni.

“We got a bit bored on the beach.” Danni explained.

Ella smiled and held out her hand to Meggy.

“Is this about that bad man?” Meggy finally asked her voice still puzzled.

Ella nodded.

“Afraid so hunny bunny.” Nic told her sister. “But don’t worry Daddy has gone to tell him off.”

Belle grinned as her kids moved through the door finally, coming to stand next to Nic’s.

“I think we need to do something to take our minds of this.” Belle said quietly. “Brett, Amy-Belle how about you take everyone to the diner for some ice cream.” She stood and handed them some money before sitting back on the sofa.

They looked at each other and then moved out slowly with some muttering.

Ella grinned slowly before sinking back down on the sofa and sipping at the cold tea.

“I think we need something stronger than that.” Nic decided.

She moved over to the unit near the stairs and pulled out a bottle of vodka, undoing it and pouring out three glasses. She added ice and then topped them up with coke before handing them out.

“I can’t I have to feed Lily.” Ella murmured looking at the glass longingly.

Belle and Nic grinned at each other.

“It’s ok you protested enough.” Nic told her and clinked her glass to the side of Ella’s.

“Cheers!” Belle added, nudging their glasses with her own.

Ella sighed before taking a sip, she sighed once more as the mixture spread over her tongue and she tasted the vodka and cola mix. She wiped at her face before standing and moving through to the bathroom.

“I take it Angel has the downstairs bedroom?” Belle asked Nic with a grin on her face.

Nic nodded and smiled herself.

“But we bricked up the window.” She told her.

Belle laughed.

“You know Bible boy I expected them to be commiserating with Ella but here they are drinking and laughing.” Aden murmured as he and Geoff walked in through the door.

Ella moved out of the bathroom at that point and looked over at the two men.

“Charlie has been and took in the damage.” Geoff said quietly to Ella. “We got the window fixed. No sign of Roman.”

Ella nodded before she walked slowly back over to the sofa and sank down. She didn’t see Aden and Geoff exchange a look.

“What?” Belle asked them.

Ella’s head shot up.

“We found.” Geoff stopped and looked at Ella as she stood back up.

“Tell me.” She said quietly straightening her shoulders.

“It seems Roman.” Geoff stopped and looked at Aden.

“He shaved his hair off. The clippers were still plugged in the bathroom.” Aden murmured.

Nic stood from her position on the chair adjacent to the sofa and took a step towards Ella but she shook her head.

“He’s a solider.” She told them. “He’s mentally preparing himself.”

Nic nodded.

“Like when.” She stopped and bit her lip.

“You can say it Nic.” Ella said with a sad half smile.

“When you were kidnapped by Gardy. He shut himself down inside. Oh, it’s hard to explain.” She looked up in appeal to Geoff but it was Aden who spoke.

“He went cold and detached.” He murmured. “And then, well Miles had to break him down.”

Ella nodded before picking up her drink and downing it.

“I need to go home.” She told them. “I need to get the children sorted.”

“You want to be there when he comes home?” Nic asked her.

Ella nodded.

“He’ll need someone.” She whispered. “Whatever happens.”

“And if it is bad? What are you going to do?” Nic asked.

“I’ll stay until he is ok. I’m his wife.” She said quietly. “But beyond that I can’t.” she broke off and began crying again.

Nic looked at the others before kneeling in front of Ella.

“But if you love him you’ll get past this the same way you dealt with everything else in your marriage Ella, I’m so sure of that.”

Ella shook her head.

“Not murder Nic, I can’t condone that.”

Belle and Nic looked to each other.

“Ok Ella.” Belle said softly. “We’ll get you home.”

Ella nodded once more and leaned back on the sofa before sitting back up straight as Lily gave out a warning cry.

“I’ll go see to her.” Nic murmured. “Get yourself another drink El and settle down for a bit, eh?”

She sighed and let Nic go see to Lily not seeing the concerned looks the others gave as she stood and unsteadily made her way to the kitchen counter. She poured out a small measure of vodka and topped it up with coke looking out the window as she drank it.

Aden and Geoff looked at each other and moved to stand next to her.

“Do you know where he is?” Geoff asked. “I mean did Jacko tell you when you spoke to him earlier?”

She shook her head.

“And you must be really stupid if you expect me to tell you if I did know.” She smiled feeling as though her face had been frozen in its former expression and smiling was beyond it at the moment.

“No we were just planning to add more vodka to that drink.” Aden told her with his usual smirk.

She looked at him before chuckling.

“I don’t know ok and if I did I wouldn’t want you to get mixed up in it. Roman has to do this.” She shivered suddenly as she spoke and closed her eyes against a feeling of dread.

“It’s going to be ok Ella.” Aden murmured and stepped forward placing a comforting hand on her back.

“I know I’m just over cautious about him.” she looked up and their eyes met before she gave another slow grin and moved away to sit next to Belle.

Belle smiled at Aden before placing her hand on top of Ella’s.

“You love him. It’s understandable.” Belle told her.

Ella smiled some more thinking of him.

“I do and I need to go home. I should get some dinner for the kids and get us settled.”

“We’ll take you home.” Belle said softly. “As soon as the kids come back.”

Ella smiled slowly once more before sinking back against the cushions. She yawned suddenly and closed her eyes just for a moment. She woke a while later to find Sammy sitting next to her.

“Hey my babes.” She murmured sleepily.

“Mummy.” He said softly.

“Where is everyone?” she blinked a couple of times before looking around the room.

“Belle took everyone home but I didn’t want to leave.” He told her.

She looked down at her watch and sighed.

“Lilly too?” she asked him.

“Yes Lily too.” Nic murmured from behind her.

She was walking down the stairs with her daughter Mira in her arms.

“Aden and Belle took Danni and the children to your place. Geoff is going to drive you home in your car and then come back with the others.” Nic said softly. “When you are ready of course, you may need a few minutes to relax in.”

Ella shook her head.

“I think I just want to go home with the children and just relax with them.” she decided. “Thank you for putting up with me today.”

“It’s no problem Step Mama.” Nic smiled at her and called Geoff down to act as chauffeur.

Ella stood up and reached out a hand to Sammy.

“Come on my babes lets go home and order pizza.” She said to him.

He vaulted up from the chair and put his hand in hers.

“Can we get extra cheese on mine?” He said as they moved to the door.

“Of course!” Nic heard Ella reply. “Or was that a trick question to see if I were awake?”

He chuckled and let himself be picked up and cuddled as they went out of the door.

Nic heard them drive away and looked down at Mira. Angel came out of her room then.

“Is Ella ok?” Angel asked quickly.

“She will be.” Nic murmured and walked over to place a kiss on her elder daughter’s head.

“Why? Who was gossiping?” she added after a moment.

“Meggy was panicking. Seems to think that it’s all her fault for believing Elliot when he said stuff about Lily.” Angel murmured slowly.

“Well it’s not.” Nic said abruptly before sighing.

She looked at Angel’s face and sat on the sofa being careful not to juggle Mira too much.

“A long time ago Elliot came to the Bay and tried to cause trouble for Granddad. He hurt me and your Daddy was a real hero and saved me.” Nic said softly. “Then Elliot went to jail for a long time.”

“But he came back.” Angel pointed out.

Nic made sure she kept the smile on her face.

“That’s right. But now Granddad is sorting him out again.” She murmured ensuring that she kept her tone of voice normal.

“And then he will go back to jail?” she asked.

Nic nodded slowly.

“We think so.” She said quietly and mentally crossed her fingers.

Chapter 56

Roman pulled up in a clearing beside the track he been driving on. There was barely enough room for his car but he saw Jacko and the others drive slowly past and move on to the next stopping point. He held up a hand before climbing out and going round the back of the vehicle pulling out the equipment he needed. He put the backpack on and tightened the straps before locking the car and placing the key under the front wheel. He moved out to the left of the car cut through the scrub to move out.

He swore as his ankle caught on a loose branch around his feet and it made him focus on what he was doing. Maybe he wasn’t as ready for this as he thought. He put the thought aside, along with his self-doubt he had to do this and make things right for his family. They had suffered enough because of his past. He paused and scanned the area he was in memorising the trail he was on and some of the requisite landmarks just in case he got somehow stuck in the bush. He thought back to his training and the three-day hike they made all trainees do through the bush. They dropped them out of a helicopter in the middle of nowhere, with just a knife. You had to find your own water source and food and somehow get yourself back to the base camp the quickest. He’d finished first by some fluke and had held the record until Mike had joined up.

He thought of Mike now as he moved through the undergrowth. How his son had almost got himself killed with the harebrained scheme he’d come up with to trap Elliot. Oh, he’d gone alone with it but he knew somehow that it wouldn’t work. And if he’d had to tell Ella that Mike was gone he dreaded to think of her reaction. They wouldn’t still be together that much was for certain. He dragged his attention back to today and here and now.

Pausing to claim a drink of water he heard Jacko’s voice come through the earpiece.

“We’re in position.” Jacko murmured. “Ready when you are.”

“Thanks for the update.” Roman murmured a little sarcastically. “That would be another bottle of malt he owed them remembering the bet that they had had before they set out on this trip. Jacko had laughed and muttered that he could get in place quicker than him. He rinsed his mouth out with the chemical tasting water from his canteen and spat on the ground before flexing and moving out.

“That mean you are still on the move Hardcore?” James asked with a chuckle. “Jacko said you were unfit. Ella needs to get you on a new exercise routine.”

Roman swore through the small mike and heard more laughter in his ear.

“Maybe she needs to get him working on some push ups.” Jacko suggested.

“Clear the comms.” Roman said quickly.

“I think we’ve found a button to press.” James said with another laugh.

“What do you know Achilles has a weakness.” Jacko said softly.

”Cut the chatter.” Roman bit out. “Show a little respect for my wife gentlemen.”

“You feeling pissed off Hardcore?” Jacko asked quietly. “Because we need you to use that feeling. You have to get your head from where ever it is and concentrate. Elliot will bait you.”

Roman eased down to a crouch looking around the area before he spoke again, his voice like ice.

“Clear the comms chatter gentlemen. I know my mission.” He muttered.

The three men went quiet and eased back into position to wait for the next bit finally satisfied that Roman was up to this task.

He eased up and took a step pausing before his foot went down seeing a slight reflection off the nylon line connected to another of Elliot’s little devices. He crouched back down and eased the leaves and debris from around the device and looked along the wire to the other side. He disconnected the fragmentation grenade from the tripwire and made it look like it was still in place, putting the leaves back around the area he plucked the grenade from. He stepped over the line and moved out his eyes automatically scanning for any more of Elliot’s surprises.

It took an age to get to the area where Elliot was camped out or at least that’s what it felt like to Roman. He paused hidden by the undergrowth and watched Elliot for a time. The other man was sitting by a fire cooking. He had rigged up a series of warning devices around his camp. There was more nylon near Roman’s feet attached to a bell. He glanced around and saw others dotted around and knew for everyone that was visible there were some he couldn’t detect with a simple look.

He plotted out what he was going to do pulling his backpack off he pulled out a couple of smoke grenades and rigged them up to go off in sequence. He placed them in the opposite direction to the one he needed Elliot to run to before making his way around the camp. He kept a sharp eye on what Elliot was doing along with looking out for any more of the other man’s surprises.

Finally he was ready. He pulled out an orange flare and pulling the pin he tossed it directly behind Elliot before moving silently to the next location he had picked out for himself.

“Hardcore!” Elliot shouted out spinning around quickly and scanning the place Roman had thrown the flare from.

“Hello Elliot I hope you don’t mind me dropping in.” Roman murmured softly, knowing that the others would pick up his voice through the comms equipment.

“Not at all I’ve been expecting you.” Elliot said quietly trying to sound calm.

Roman knew that the other man was trying to lure him closer with the soft-spoken words. He smiled at the old trick he’d used himself a time or two. He tugged on the line he’d strung from one of the traps Elliot had set and saw the other man spin round in the opposite direction looking through the dense undergrowth as a bell rattled. He almost smiled at how easy it was to fool the other man and then took a deep calming breath. This was not a game, he told himself.

“Hardcore.” Elliot shouted now.

“I hope you made enough food for all of us.” Roman shouted out as he moved to his next position. He knew the timbre of his voice would alert the other man to the fact he was moving through the undergrowth and smiled with satisfaction when Elliot spun around looking in a different direction to where he was. The man shouldn’t have been this easy to play with, but Roman told himself, that aside from what Mark had passed on and whatever tips Elliot had picked up in the intervening years he was untrained.

“Hardcore!” Elliot cried out a note of desperation in his voice now.

Roman listened to it and judged just how genuine it was.

“Elliot!” he responded quietly.

“I’m going to get you Hardcore.” Elliot muttered.

Roman laughed letting the sound travel through the undergrowth and saw Elliot once more spinning around trying to get a fix on his position. With a suddenness that surprised him Roman heard shots ringing out from the gun that Elliot now had in his hand. He forced himself not to react when a slug hit the tree directly to the left of him. Easing his hand down slowly he pulled on another of the threads that he had connected to one of the smoke grenades and watched as it exploded and released a grey cloud. The gentle early evening breeze pushed the cloud towards the camp and he watched as Elliot kicked out the fire and crouched low his expression now one of fear.

Roman smiled and tugged on the second Smoke grenade. He watched as the grey cloud spun around Elliot pushing him even more off centre. He peered though the smoke himself and saw Elliot looking totally afraid. Pitching a flash bang grenade into the mix; the grenade was designed to emit a loud bang and a bright flash of light, he knew it would further rattle Elliot. He aimed it just to the left of Elliot, making it appear like he was to the other mans right, he saw Elliot sprung up from his position and raced through the trees, just in the direction he wanted him to run.

Roman laughed and circled around to follow the other man. He noticed a few more of the little surprises and stepped nimbly past them in his pursuit. He made sounds to the left of Elliot and then to the right causing the other man to stop and swing around wildly searching through the undergrowth for him before racing ahead. He saw a branch directly in front of Elliot and flinched when he saw the other man crash through it and fall to his knees. Stopping himself to ensure that there was no sound as he moved, he waited until a still stunned Elliot rose up and began moving again.

“Isn’t this just like déjà vu Elliot?” Roman called out.

“Hardcore I will get you!” Elliot burst out with sounding desperate.

Roman could hear the other man breathing rapidly and knew what was going through the other man’s head. He was out of his comfort zone being chased through the bush. The traps he’d set hadn’t worked. He had no ammo left and no time to collect anything from his supplies. And Elliot had no idea of how many there were with him or indeed waiting in the bush to trip him up. Add to that night was falling.

“Come now Elliot, surely you can think up something better than that old line.” Roman called out.

He watched as Elliot spun about trying to get a fix on him and where he was before running forward. He continued to watch as the other man tripped and nearly fell. If this weren’t so goddamn serious it would be fun, Roman told himself with a grimace, acknowledging that a part of him had missed the excitement of action.

“You killed my brother…” Elliot began.

“And I’m about to kill you.” Roman called back interrupting him.

He heard Elliot gasp as he ran faster through the bush.

“Mark didn’t deserve what you did to him.” Elliot shot back, as he stumbled and almost fell in his headlong rush.

“And did my family deserve what you did to them?” Roman responded with.

“Easy Hardcore.” He heard Jacko say through the ear piece.

He smiled feeling that he wasn’t alone this time. The year he spent in prison the years he’d carried Mark’s death like an open festering wound and now he had his men here helping him. Healing him just as much as Ella’s arms had the other night when he’d finally told her about Mark. Feeling her love wrap around him as surely as her arms had while he confessed the worst crime he had even committed.

He smiled at the poetic thoughts and then sobered looking over at the panicking Elliot he was driving through the bush. The sky was now black and the darkness leant new menace to the chase. Roman narrowed his eyes seeing Elliot pause before deciding which way to go on the trail. He kept to the left and Roman grinned. Another couple of K and they would meet up with the others.

“We can hear him coming Hardcore.” Jacko muttered in his ear. “Keep him heading this way.”

Roman was tempted to reply with what the hell did they think he was doing, but held silent and continued to push Elliot forward.

“Hardcore.” Elliot screamed running forward. “You are going to die.”

“We all are Elliot.” Roman pointed out.

Elliot yelled something else but the words were lost as he stumbled forward. He found himself in a clearing and looked around confusedly before a number of flares exploded around him. The light from them took out his night vision and disoriented him. He gasped and fell to his knees.

“Are you going to do this the easy way?” Roman asked the prone man.

Elliot moaned sickly before forcing himself back to his feet.

“Come and get me Hardcore.” He screamed out frustration with every syllable.

Roman stepped forward a dark silhouette in front of the other man.

“Give it your best shot Elliot.” Roman said.

He heard someone sharply in drawn breath through the ear piece and he smiled.

“You better know what you are doing Hardcore.” Came Jacko’s voice.

Roman nodded once letting them know he had heard before taking a further step towards the other man. Elliot looked up at him before half turning away. Roman watched the movement with interest, knowing that it would lead to some kind of ploy from the other man. He was there fore not surprised when Elliot swung a broken section of branch at him like a club. Ducking easily out of the way he moved around the clearing while Elliot all but chased him.

“Best you can do Elliot?” Roman taunted.

The other man roared anger making him clumsy as he tried to hit Roman with the club. He over balanced and Roman caught the club between his hands tugging it out of the other man’s grasp and throwing it to one side. Elliot looked over at Roman with hatred on his features and roared before pacing forward. He swung his fist and groaned when Roman ducked out of the way. The height advantage came into play and it was easy for Roman to stay a little way out of the other mans reach. A couple of lucky punches connected but they were not enough to stop Roman. He almost grinned when he finally hit Elliot back. All the frustration of having the other man taunting him and hurting his family rose in him and he let it fuel his punches.

“Give it up Elliot.” Roman said breathing heavily.

Elliot shook his head but even a blind man could see he was tiring.

With a last move Roman caught the other mans arm and drove it up behind his back twisting him round at the same time. He tugged the arm up further and used the leverage to pull the man back towards him. He wrapped his free arm around Elliot’s neck much the same as he had done previously and leaned in close.

“You hurt my wife.” He said to him.

Elliot squirmed in the headlock feeling the muscles in Roman’s arm tighten around his neck.

“Hardcore.” Jacko said.

There was a strange kind of echo between the ear piece and the man standing in front of him. Roman looked up and saw the expression on Jacko’s face.

“He hurt Ella.” Roman murmured. “And my kids.”

“Roman.” Pete said, he too coming out of the shadows.

Roman shook his head, his arm tightening around Elliot’s neck. His strength lifted the other man off his feet and he felt feeble kicks against his shins as Elliot’s last attempts to free himself.

“He hurt Ella.” Roman said again remembering the looks on her face, the times she flinched from him. How Elliot nearly killed her and almost as bad as that shut her in the same room that Gardy had raped her in. Violating her all over again.

Roman roared out his anger and with a strength he didn’t think he had he threw Elliot’s limp form across the clearing. Gasping heavily he wiped at the cut on his lip and looked over at his men.

“Hardcore.” Pete murmured stepping forward.

Roman shook his head and walked away from them.

Chapter 57

Roman walked through the front door expected the house to be in darkness and was surprised when the lights were shinning. He looked straight ahead and saw Ella standing barefoot in the kitchen stirring a pan on the stove. She was wearing skimpy shorts, a vest top and her long hair was pinned up untidily just the way he liked it. She turned towards him and smiled. He gasped with shock and blinked tiredly thinking for a moment that he had finally lost his mind and was hallucinating.

“El.” He whispered and watched as she removed the pan from the heat and turned towards him. She had a smile on her face and he moved quickly over to her taking her into his arms and holding her tight against his tired and aching body. He felt the tension leaving him and he sighed into her hair before lowering his lips to hers and kissing her.

“Hello.” She said quietly. “You better take a shower and then go up and say goodnight to the kids.” She instructed.

“Ella.” He murmured.

She shook her head.

“Later.” She told him still smiling.

He felt his heart thumping in his chest and sighed as he eased back from her and moved up the stairs. He followed her instructions never being so glad to hug his kids goodnight. He looked into their faces and wished that they could get back some of their innocence that Elliot had stolen from them. He moved then down the stairs pausing outside the nursery before easing open the door and looking inside. He saw that Ella had moved the baby’s cot and that she’d had the window fixed. He smiled when he also saw that Lily was still awake. Moving softly over to her he placed a gentle kiss to his daughter’s head before easing his tired body down the next set of stairs and into the lounge.

Ella had placed some food on a tray and presented it on the coffee table. He smiled gratefully as he sat next to her and reached for the large glass of whisky she’s put on there too.

She took hold of his free hand and just sat next to him in silence.

“Ella.” He murmured and she turned her head to look at him. “I made you cry again.”

She nodded.

“I’m used to you doing that.” She told him.

He shook his head before looking down in the glass and swirling the liquid around.

“You haven’t asked.” He pointed out.

She squeezed his hand before letting go and moving away from him.

“I don’t have to ask.” She said.

“Why?” He muttered.

“Because you wouldn’t have let me hold your hand if you’d killed him.” she pointed out her logic.

“I’m not the hero you think I am.” He said to her, his tone bitter.

“Because?” she asked looking over at him and making eye contact with him, something he’d subconsciously avoided.

“I nearly killed him.” he said finally. “I wanted him dead. I didn’t care that he was Mark’s brother and I’d already taken Mark away from him. It didn’t seem to matter that he hurt the kids it was you Ella. As soon as we began to fight I saw you in that room alone, frightened and in pain. Nearly losing our baby. Shut in the dark again and I wanted to rip him apart for that.” Roman bit out.

She turned away for a second before rushing to his side and taking the glass out of his shaking hands she eased onto his lap and put her arms around him clutching him to her.

“I love you Roman Harris.” She told him her words filled with so much emotion that he could almost feel the love tripping off them.

He felt himself begin to shake and then his shoulders heaved as he began to sob.

“I’m so glad you were here when I came in.” he managed to gasp out.

She pressed kisses to his lips, mindful of the one that was spilt but he didn’t seem to care crushing her to him he pressed his mouth hard on hers.

“I love you Ella.” He muttered.

Reaching between them he somehow got their clothes off and pressed her back against the cushions feeling her long legs wrap around him he began to make love to her. He was remembering all the times she’d welcomed him back from a mission and they’d made love, the act itself somehow cleansing him of whatever he’d had to do. Or she’d just held him.

“I love you.” He gasped out running his hands down her body.

She moaned his name kissing him slowly before letting her lips trail down his neck. She moved against him feeling him fill her and her arms wrapped as securely around him as her legs were. He looked into her eyes.

“Love you.” He gasped and saw her smile.

“Come for me.” She whispered in his ear.

“Oh like there is any doubt of that.” he replied kissing her.

He felt her hands running down his back and he sighed feeling the pleasure building within him. He needed her so much. He needed to feel her explode with pleasure underneath him. He kissed her, his hands moulding her body. She moved against him and moaned. He kissed her some more his lips teasing hers.

“Oh god!” he heard her gasp and smiled before he lost control and pleasure washed over him in waves. He felt her fall apart underneath him and it heightened his pleasure. He collapsed on top of her before easing his weight gently away from her. Pulling at the throw he covered them both as he cradled her in his arms.

With a shaking hand he eased her long tousled hair away from her face. Looking into her eyes he told her what happened

“I love you Roman.” She told him. “I love you so much.”

“You don’t understand Ella.” He said quickly. “I nearly killed him. For a moment I didn’t care that I would lose you because of it I only thought about how much he’d put you through, about how much he hurt you.”

She sighed before placing her hand on the side of his face forcing him to resume eye contact.

“But you didn’t kill him.” she told him. “You wanted to but you didn’t kill him. Whatever drove you to that point you stopped it from consuming you.”

He tried to move away but she refused to let him, pressing herself against him.

“I do understand. “ she said quietly. “And I know I said I would leave you.” She began.

His eyes flew to hers.

“But your daughter said something to me that made me think. She said we had gotten through so much together we would find a way to get through this.” Ella told him. “Now I want you to eat something and then we are going to go to bed and you are going to hold me all night because I need to feel you next to me.”

He gasped before burying his face against her shoulder feeling himself shaking with emotion once more.

“Ella.” He whispered. “I love you.”

“Good.” She told him with her usual cheeky grin. She eased off the sofa and wrapped the throw around herself before picking up her earlier discarded clothes.

He grinned and watched her move away before hearing her head up the stairs. Reaching down for his trousers he pulled them on before tugging on the T-shirt. He lifted the tray and took it through to the kitchen putting the bowl of soup in the microwave to reheat. He took it out when it had finished and stood in the kitchen to eat it. He found he finished it and several pieces of bread and butter.

After tidying up he moved up the stairs and went into their bedroom. He found Ella already in bed and he moved quietly into the bathroom to brush his teeth and don his pyjamas. From there he moved to climb into bed. Settling down beside his beautiful wife he left the bedside light on as he snuggled down next to her. He found his hand tracing the satin of her nightdress as he moved next to her.

“Don’t think about starting anything.” She told him.

He laughed before tugging her into his arms.

“Love you.” He murmured his eyes closing tiredly.

“Love you too.” She said sleepily.

Chapter 58

Roman woke up and smiled. He was laying across the bed his head pillowed on Ella’s, well her ample bosom.

“If’ you’ve finished drooling over my breasts.” She said softly.

He looked up and grinned.

“Not the type of bodily fluid I prefer to share with you.” He murmured. “And yes that sounded much better in my head and not….” he stopped.

“Quite so gross?”

He nodded and eased away slowly moving to his side of the bed.

She ran a hand over his shown head with a grimace.

“I’ll grow it back.” He promised seeing the look on her face.

“You need to go see Elliot.” she told him gently leaning forward to kiss him.

“No.” he instinctively denied.

Ella eased back and looked deep into his eyes.

“You need to let him know what happened.” She murmured holding up her hand to stop him talking. “You need to let him know how much it’s been hurting you all these years. And then you need to tell him what Mark was like.”

Roman shook his head feeling himself close off inside from her suggestion instinctively.

“Please Roman.” She begged huskily. “Don’t let this hurt you again. Talk to Elliot. Take the boys with you. End this.”

He pulled away and climbed out of the bed moving into the bathroom. She heard the shower come on at the same time Lily gave a warning cry. Getting out of bed she moved to the bathroom.

“Fine if you don’t want to talk to me I won’t talk to you.” She called out to him before moving to see to Lily. She picked her daughter up out of the cot and moved over to the rocking chair not yet used to the room being rearranged. She eased down and fed her daughter before changing her and then carrying her through to the bedroom to collect her bathrobe. She pulled it on and moved downstairs with Lily and into the kitchen. She put water on to boil before taking Lily into the lounge and placing her in the bassinet.

Roman found her by Lily a while later and he looked at her. She hadn’t bothered to mess with her hair and was once more barefoot. He saw her place her hand on the baby and stroke her belly gently before loosening the covers so she could kick her chubby legs. He found himself smiling and moved over to them.

“El.” He said softly.

She turned and looked at him.

“I’m sorry.” He murmured not quite sure what he was sorry for.

“You need to talk to Aden and Nic too.” Ella said quietly.

“Why?” He burst out. “They know what happened.”

She shook her head.

“They don’t know how much it hurt you Roman and how much it affected you. You owe it to them to be honest.” She murmured.

He looked at her his beautiful wife and his lovely daughter. He heard the kids stirring and starting to move down the stairs. He turned his head to look at the photos on the shelf units. Mike in his uniform. The kids in school uniforms or playing in the garden. Nic and Geoff with their kids, and then there were shots of Aden and Belle and their children. He knew that of he looked there would be albums and albums of photos. A loving family surrounded him and they didn’t care about the mistakes he’d made in his life. The only one that judged him and found him guilty was himself.

“Ella.” He said softly.

She turned away from him and moved into the kitchen. He felt her absence immediately despite the fact she had only walked into the next room and he cursed before remembering Lily was in front of him. He followed Ella and found himself watching her as she made a pot of decaff coffee. He grimaced and moved over to her.

“Ella.” He said softly.

She forced herself to ignore him and began to make a start on breakfast for the children.

“Ella.” He said louder and heard Lily give another warning cry.

‘Great’ he thought, ‘he was being told off by a baby now!’

Ella looked at him then.

“I love you Ella but no I can’t talk to Nic about it.” he said softly. “And I’m not going to see Elliot.”

She nodded and turned away from him.

“Ella.” He said softly.

The children began coming down the stairs and he swore again under his breath before moving to stand next to her. She moved and placed plates and cutlery on the table.

“Daddy!” Meggy ran over to him.

He picked her up and pressed a kiss to his daughter’s cheek.

“Hello my Meggy girl.” He murmured to her.

“Did you sort the bad man out?” she asked.

“I did indeed.” He told her. “With help from Jacko and the boys.”

She nodded.

“Then why isn’t Mummy smiling?” Meggy asked wisely looking over at her mother.

“Because Daddy won’t do what Mummy wants and she’s sulking.” Roman quickly told his daughter before he could censor the words.

The room descended into silence and he felt all eyes on him including Ella’s. He turned and looked at her and saw that she was biting her lip and he groaned.

She waited until he had put Meggy down before she picked up a plate off the table and threw it at him. He moved quickly out of its way and they watched as it smashed against the cupboard door behind him.

“You can finish breakfast.” She instructed him and ran out past him and up the stairs.

“Nice one Dad!” Danni murmured and stepped over the broken plate to the fridge. She took out the jug of orange juice and moved it to the table.

“Dad.” Sophie muttered looking at him. “That was dumb.” She added before she moved to the fridge and took out the milk. She tipped up museli into her bowl and poured the milk over the top of it.

“Does anyone else have a comment?” he asked getting the brush and dustpan out to clear up the plate.

“Yeah!” Sammy murmured.

Roman looked at his son and raised an eyebrow.

“What?” he asked after a minute.

“The eggs are burning.” Sammy told him pointing at the blackening pan on the stove.

Roman swore again and grabbed the handle of the pan whipping it off the stove. He threw it in the sink and managed to burn himself in the process.

He looked down at the pan and then round at the children.

“How about we go to the diner for breakfast?” he suggested and normally had to hold them back as they rushed to the door but today they just looked at him before looking at each other.

“No.” Georgie murmured. “I think I want to spend the morning with Mum before I go to school.”

Roman looked at him and sighed before reaching for his car keys off the peg. He walked to the door and out of it. They heard the car start after a moment and move away.

“I so don’t care that I’m the eldest I am not going to see if Mum is ok.” Danni murmured before moving over to the bread bin and taking out bread for toasting.

Sophie reached into the fridge and took out spread and cheese placing it on the table. She nodded to Sammy and he reached into a cupboard for a jar of jam and also peanut butter.

“How long have we got before we have to get ready for school?” Meggy asked quietly.

“Until Monday.” Ella murmured walking into the kitchen.

“Monday?” Sophie echoed.

“Why?” Danni muttered.

“I think we need to spend some time with Daddy and it’s only a couple of days.” Ella said and moved to collect the toast that had popped up.

“But…” Georgie muttered.

“Shush!” Meggy said. “Listen to Mummy, she said no school.”

Ella laughed at her daughter before leaning down to press a kiss to the top of her head.

“So why are you and Daddy fighting?” Sophie asked around a mouthful of her museli.

“None of your business.” Ella murmured softly. “And please don’t talk with your mouth full.”

Meggy laughed before she moved over to the table and picked up some toast. Danni poured out juiced for everyone and sat at the table. Sammy sat too and picked up some toast. He put it on his plate and reached for the jam and the peanut butter.

“He was pretty nasty.” Georgie muttered. “And you threw a plate.”

Ella sighed looking at the pan in the sink. She decided not to even bother trying to clean it and picked it up to put it straight in the bin.

“Yes ok.” she said finally. “I lost my temper.”

Georgie looked at her and folded his arms just like Roman and she muttered something under her breath before looking at him.

“Fine.” She said before putting the next lot of toast on the table.

“So what are we going to do then?” Danni asked. “Been as you’ve given us the day off.”

“Just hang here and wait for your dad to get back.” Ella murmured.

She leaned over and poured a cup of coffee for herself looking over at Lily.

“Maybe we can put a dvd on?” Sammy suggested.

“Or go in the pool?” Sophie muttered.

Ella smiled distractedly sipping the coffee.

“We don’t have to do what everyone else is doing.” Danni pointed out. “Some of us could watch a dvd and others could go for a swim.”

The others nodded before looking at Ella.

“Thank you for not arguing.” She said to them and reached over to grab a bit of Sammy’s toast.

He looked at her and sighed before reaching for another slice and adding peanut butter to it.

He cut it in half before handing a bit to his mum.

Ella sighed and took it.

“Thanks my babes.” She murmured and sank into the chair next to him before eating it.

They all went quiet when the door opened and Roman walked in.

“Hi.” He said softly.

Ella looked at him but didn’t reply.

“I saw Nicole.” He murmured. “You were right. She needed to know.”

She nodded.

“Aren’t you going to speak to me El?” he said quietly. “I’m sorry ok.”

Ella stood up and looked at him before shaking her head.

“I can’t El. I can’t go see him.” He muttered. “You are asking too much of me.”

She moved away restlessly the children watching the scene curiously.

“Why aren’t you getting ready for school?” he asked them.

Sammy and Meggy looked at each other and then at the others.

“Mummy said we don’t have to go back until Monday.” Meggy burst out with.

Roman looked at them.

“Monday?” he questioned.

Danni nodded.

“Ella seemed to think you needed some time with us all.” She pointed out her tone harsh.

Roman looked at her for a moment before going outside to see where Ella was. He found her sitting on a bench in the orchard. The fact that she had been crying was obvious and he felt like a complete bastard.

“Ella.” He said softly.

“Roman.” She acknowledged him.

He moved to sit next to her and cursed when she flinched away from him.

“Ella it can’t be this bad between us.” He burst out.

She shook her head.

“It’s not bad but I am upset and I didn’t want to cry in front of them.”

“Oh but throwing things at me is ok.” he muttered before he could stop himself.

Ella stood up and turned to face him.

“What do you want from me Roman? Why are you mad at me?” she asked him.

“Because you want too much from me. You expect me to forgive Elliot.” he shouted, he too standing up and glaring at her.

“No. I expect you to put the Mark stuff in the past where it belongs.” She shouted in return. “Who the hell is talking about forgiveness for Elliot?”

“You will sooner or later.” He pointed out nastily. “You are too soft when it comes to things like this. Just look at Gardy.”

She sucked in a deep breath.

“Perhaps you would like to explain what you mean by that remark?” she murmured quietly.

“Paying for and going to his funeral. “ Roman told her folding his arms

Ella looked at him, her eyes meeting with his.

“Now it’s bad.” She told him. “Pack your stuff and go stay with Miles for a few days.”

“Ella.” He protested.

She shook her head at him.

“What Gardy did to me will always be with me Roman but the man is dead and I will not let him hurt me. And yes I went because no-one deserves to be alone, not even him.” she said her voice dropping to a whisper. “But then maybe it’s my biggest fault to give people second chances.” She muttered bitterly.

“And what the hell is that crack supposed to be about?” he shouted.

“Just what it means.” She told him quietly.

“Are you saying you regret giving me a second chance?” he bit out.

She looked at him before turning and beginning to walk away.

“Ella!” he roared rushing over to her and grabbing hold of her arm with a bruising grip.

Ella gasped and tugged at her arm.

“Let me go.” She shouted. “Stop this!”

He glared at her and pulled her hard against him lowering his head he kissed her hard. He lips were brutal, as he possessed her mouth.

“Roman stop it!” she cried out. “Stop this.”

He pulled away suddenly and looked at what he’d done to her.

“God not again.” He moaned.

Ella wiped at her mouth and tasted blood.

“Now stop this.” She told him. “Go get packed and get out.”

She was surprised that her voice sounded so normal.

“Ella please.” He found himself begging.

She shook her head and moved away, wrapping her arms around herself.

“No!” she said suddenly turning to look at him. ”You clung to me the other night telling me about what happened with Mark and I held you. Last night I waited for you. I said nothing about you needing to forgive Elliot that’s for you to decide about. I need this in the past and that means you tell him about his brother. Let him get closure over Mark’s death.”

He looked up at her after sinking back down on the bench.

“I know what it is like to lose a brother Roman.” She muttered.

“Oh great, just guilt trip me.” He swore and stood up.

“Why do I bother?” she shouted. “You are so not worth it.”

She spun around and ran towards the house bursting in through the doors.

“Mum?” Danni asked.

Ella walked over to Lily and checked on her before running up the stairs and into the bedroom.

“I think we should put on a dvd in our room.” Sophie muttered.

“And turn the volume up. I have a feeling it’s going to get loud.” Sammy muttered.

“No it’s not.” Ella murmured after coming back down the stairs and overhearing their conversation and smiled at them. She was holding a photo album and she moved outside taking it with her. She met Roman halfway from the house.

“El.” He said softly.

“Sit down.” She ordered.

He looked at her and then noticed the album.

“No.” he said quickly.

“Ok let me put it in terms you can understand.” She began sitting on the grass. “This or this.” She said placing the album down and taking off her eternity ring.

His eyes narrowed as he looked at her.

“Are you…” he began to ask.

She looked at him.

“Sit down.” She said her tone stronger.

He muttered something and sat next to her.

“Put the ring back on.” He said quickly.

She looked at him but tucked the ring in her pocket instead of putting it on her finger and caught him glaring at her. She would have smiled but this was too serious. She opened the album and he gasped when he saw a picture of the squad. Gardy and Mark included, along with her brother. Faces from the past. He put out his hand towards the photo and was shocked to realise it was shaking.

“This is why you need to see him Roman. It’s still hurting you. Telling me about it after all these years is not the end of it for you because you won’t let yourself be forgiven.”

“Like Elliot is ever going to forgive me.” Roman sneered.

“He’s not the one you need forgiveness off.” She murmured quietly. “It’s you Roman, you have to forgive yourself. It’s why you are so angry right now at me. I’m pushing you to get closure and you can’t do that because you won’t forgive yourself.”

He tried to deny it but it was true. He was angry. He was angry at Ella because she knew him. She knew that he was still consumed by what happened with Mark.

She leaned over and turned the page and he looked at more photos. Them, the squad, mucking about and then watching a film together. Wearing stupid Hawaiian shirts gathered round the bar.

He gasped as the memories came back and looked at her.

“Ella.” He said softly.

She moved over to him and put her arms around him and felt him shake against her.

“I love you Ella.” He murmured. “I’m sorry. I’m sorry. I’m sorry.” He moaned rocking back and forth.

“Shush.” She whispered.

“No.” he said but couldn’t find any more words.

She pressed her lips gently against his.

“Have you ever had counselling for this?” she asked him.

“This?” he questioned.

“Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.”

His head shot up.

“Well?” she asked.

He shook his head before looking over at the photos.

“I didn’t think.” He began his voice shaking with pent up emotion.

“That a big butch soldier could get it?” she asked a small smile playing on her lips.

He shook his head.

“I didn’t think that I had it.” he murmured.

“And now?” she asked quietly.

“Maybe.” He said.

She smiled before kissing him.

“Go see him Roman. Get closure for yourself.” she murmured.

His shoulders began to shake.

“I don’t deserve you.” He whispered.

“Too bloody right.” She murmured.

He laughed before reaching for the album. He turned the pages looking at the rest of the pictures until he found the page she’d shown him once before a long time ago, with the pictures of him and her brother and then the snap of all three of them. He sighed, his finger tracing the outline of the picture.

“Ella.” He said quietly. “You never pushed except for now.” He added with sudden realisation.

She nodded.

“It was your pain Roman. Until you were able to talk about it there was nothing I could do to help you.” She told him softly.

“I’m sorry I dragged up the stuff about…” he began.

Ella put her hand on his face and pressed another kiss to his lips.

“It’s ok. You were lashing out because I was making you face that pain.” She told him. “We just know each other’s pressure points too well.”

He flinched.

“Still.” He said.

“Come on.” She murmured easing up and picking up the album.

She held out her free hand and he stood up and caught hold of it pulling her into his arms and pressing a gentle kiss to her lips.

“I love you.” She said softly before leading him back to the house.

“Is everything sorted now?” Danni asked from her position on the sofa. The kids had decided to put on a DVD downstairs so that they could keep an eye on Lily, and well find out what their parents were up to.

Ella laughed.

“Depends on whether you’ve left room for us to sit down.” She said and they watched as they scrambled to make room.

Roman smiled over at them and sat down first pulling Ella onto his lap.

“Finding Nemo?” he asked. “Haven’t we worn this film out yet?”

Ella laughed and pressed a kiss to his cheek, deciding not to mention she had recently replaced the copy with a new one.

Warning: Contains a scene some people may find upsetting!!

Chapter 59

Roman woke up slowly and eased out of bed. He moved into the nursery and looked at a still sleeping Lily before heading down the stairs. He went to the kitchen first and took out a bottle and a glass. Pouring out a measure of whisky he drank it down with a sigh. With a shaking hand he refilled the glass and drained it a second time. He wanted to be drunk so that he would feel nothing. Discarding the glass he tipped up the bottle and took a long swallow of the amber liquid letting it slid down his throat. He repeated the action again and again before groaning. Holding up his hand he was shocked to see that it was still shaking.

“You were dreaming.” Ella murmured.

He looked up in shock to see her there. He should have known that she would know he had gotten out of bed. His wife had spooky spider senses.

“Leave me alone El.” He said huskily.

“Leave you like this?” she asked softly. “When you are hurting.”

“Get the hell out of my head!” he shouted at her.

She flinched from his tone but refused to move, folding her arms in front of her and looking at him.

“Are you going to admit that maybe you have a problem?” she asked after a moment.

“The only problem I have is that you won’t get the hell away from me.” He muttered and drained the last dregs from the bottle. He stood on unsteady legs and heading towards the kitchen.

“Roman.” She said huskily. “You’ve had enough.”

He shook his head.

“Not nearly enough my dear wife I can still think.” He sneered at her wavering.

She sighed and reached for the bottle from him.

“Get off.” He muttered pulling on the bottle.

She overbalanced and fell forward against him.

“No need to throw yourself at me dear if you want sex just ask for it.” he said and put his arms tight around he pulled her hard against him. The bottle dropped on the floor and smashed but he ignored it as he kissed her. His lips were hard on hers and he pulled at her nightdress.

“Roman no!” she gasped out moving her head from side to side.

He took no notice lifting her up and carrying her over to the sofa where he threw her down.

“God dammit Roman stop!” She cried out trying to scramble away from him.

He looked at her with something evil in his eyes and took no notice of her words. Moving quickly he climbed on top of her on the sofa and pinned her in place with his weight. When she tried to slap him he caught hold of her hands and pinned them about her head. His lips were brutal on hers and nothing was going to stop him.

“Roman stop.” She gasped moving her head from side to side.

He used his free hand to rip her nightdress off her body so he could touch her. Cupping her breast in his hand he squeezed the firm flesh and ignored her whimper of distress.

“You’re hurting me.” She cried out.

He moved his head and looked at her.

“Keep quiet.” He muttered against her lips.

He forced her legs apart with his knee, jabbing it against her forcing her thighs apart. He moved between them pushing his pyjama bottoms down at the same time as he pushed up her nightdress.

“For god’s sake Roman don’t do this to me.” She pleaded.

He took no notice and sank into her body driving into her.

“No!” she screamed.

He put his hand over her mouth to keep her quiet while he drove himself into her. He ignored the tears that fell from her eyes onto his hand although they felt like they were scolding him. After he finished he rolled off her and made his way into the kitchen picking out a new bottle of whisky he broke the seal when he opened it and began drinking.

Ella lay on the sofa still crying without making a sound. She tried to move but her body hurt. When she thought there were no more tears left she crawled off the sofa and made her way up the stairs. She picked up Lily and put her in the bedroom before locking the door. After a moment she dragged the bedside table in front of the door. She moved into the bathroom and stood under the hot water in the shower. She hurt so much and not just the aches in her body. Sinking to the floor she began to sob. It took some time before she was able to stand again. Walking was agony as she made her way into the bedroom. She got dressed slowly and picked up her keys and phone putting them in the pockets of her jeans.

It took four attempts before she was able to move the cabinet from in front of the door. She turned then and picked up Lily carrying her back into the nursery. She put her in the capsule and picked up the diaper bag. She groaned at the weight of the two things and had to put them down. She guiltily apologised to Lily who protested with a whimper.

“Sorry Baby girl.” She said softly.

Ella picked her out and placed her in the cot before turning and going into Danni’s room. She shook the other girl awake.

“Mum.” She said sleepily.

“I’m sorry sweetie but I need you to take care of Lily and the kids for me.” Ella said to her. “I’ve got to go out.”

Danni blinked.

“Yeah sure.” She said and eased up on the bed. “What time is it?” she asked quickly followed by a gasp of shock. “Oh my god El what happened?” she burst out.

Ella looked at her and then over at the mirror. She saw bruises on her wrists and finger mark bruises on her face.

“Oh!” she said. “It’s nothing.” She added.

Danni scrambled out of bed and raced over to the closet. She pulled out a hooded top and handed it to Ella.

“Put it on.” She instructed.

Ella looked at her tears springing into her eyes as she gingerly put the top on. The overlong sleeves covered her wrists and she could lift the hood and her face would be in shadow. She nodded unable to say anything and moved out of the room and carefully down the stairs. She made it outside and to her car without being stopped. With a muffled sob she picked out her keys and tried to put them in the ignition but her hand was shaking too much. She moaned under her breath and tried again. She got the car started and pulled out of the drive.

Driving slowly she couldn’t decide where to go eventually pulling up outside Belle and Aden’s place. She tugged the hood up and walked stiffly over to the door. Raising her hand she knocked softly. It took a few more knocks before the door swung open.

“Oh my god Ella.” Aden cried out.

It was obvious she had got him out of bed, he was just wearing jeans and was barefoot. His hair still messed up. She looked at him and put her finger to her lips warring him to keep quiet. He followed her down the path a little ways and watched as she tugged the hood down. He gasped when he saw bruises on her face.

“What happened?” he asked quickly.

She began crying unable to speak.

“El, who was it?” a tone of anger entering his voice.

“I need help.” she gasped out.

“What do you need me to do?” he asked immediately.

She looked up at him raising an aching arm and scrubbing at the tears on her face.

“I hurt.” She said quietly.

It took a moment for understanding to dawn for him and a stain of colour brushed over his cheeks.

“Let me get you to the hospital.” He said quietly.

She looked into his eyes seeing sadness there.

“I don’t want.” She stopped and bit her lip worriedly.

“It was Roman wasn’t it?” he figured out.

She nodded slowly.

“You don’t want to ..” he stopped. “Forget it, ok, wait here I won’t be a minute.” He turned and ran back into the house coming out a moment later. He shut the door behind him and moved over to his car. He got her seated in the car and set off driving carefully as though she was delicate china next to him.

Parking around the back he took her through the hospital and into a secure room.

“Can you get undressed for me please.” He asked trying to keep his voice calm even though he could feel himself shaking with anger.

She nodded and removed the hooded top.

Aden forced himself not to gasp at the marks on her wrists. He saw other bruises on her upper arm but they were a couple of days old and already fading. He handed over a hospital gown and turned his back while she undressed. It didn’t help his anger when he heard her whimper in pain behind him.

“I’m ready.” She said quietly.

He turned around slowly and moved over to her pulling on sterile gloves. She eased back on the examination table and closed her eyes while he examined her. He breathed out slowly before speaking.

“El, you have a small tear. It’s going to need stitches.” He said quietly. “There are bruises too, and along your thighs.”

“Its ok.” she said after a moment. “I bruise easily.”

“Ella.” He said quietly.

“Please Aden.” She said her voice unsteady.

He nodded and moved up the bed to take hold of her hand. He gave it a gentle squeeze.

“What are you going to do El?” he said quietly.

She shook her head.

“He needs me right now.” She murmured.

“You would go back to him after this?” he asked his tone bitter.

She eased up leaning on her elbows looking over at him.

“Aden, he is my husband.” She said quietly.

“He’s a ..” he stopped himself finishing the sentence.

He sighed and moved away to gather the things he needed. After a time she was able to get dressed. She eased off the bed and he led her out and back to his car.

“Where do you want to go?” he asked her.

“I need to collect my car and go home.” She said softly.

“Ella don’t go back to him.” Aden said huskily.

She looked over at his profile.

“Don’t start anything Aden, you know you love Belle.” She murmured. “Don’t make me sorry that I came to you.”

He nodded and they pulled up outside his house. He helped her out of the car and to walk over to hers.

“Take some tablets and go to bed and get some sleep ok.” he murmured and saw her nod tiredly.

Ella saw him watching her as she drove off and she sighed regretting that she went to him. She put her feelings to one side and drove home. Easing once more out of the car she went inside the house. She moved to the kitchen and found Roman slumped down unconscious in the kitchen next to a near empty bottle of whisky. She looked at him and felt a wave of nausea was over her, only just getting to the sink in time before she threw up. She ran the tap and then put a glass under it to fill it with water. She drank slowly before placing the glass down and picking up the dustpan and brush to clean up the remains of the bottle. She eased down and swept up the broken glass before wrapping it up in newspaper and put it in the bin.

It took a few minutes before she was able to tackle the stairs. She reached the top of them and eased into the bedroom. She undressed slowly and pulled on a clean nightdress before getting under the covers. She thought it would be ages before she got to sleep but after only a couple of minutes her eyes closed and she drifted off.

Roman woke slowly sweating. He looked around the dark room. With a shaking hand he reached out and shook Ella awake.

“El.” He said softly.

She came awake quickly.

“What is it.” she asked. “Is it Lily?”

Roman sat up and put the light on.

“Are you ok?” he asked.

She looked at him.

“Yes.” She said puzzled.

“I had a bad dream.” He whispered.

She eased up on the pillows.

“About Mark?” she asked softly. He had been having dreams all week about the other man.

Roman shook his head and tears filled his eyes.

“Are you ok?” he asked again.

Ella turned kneeling up on the bed she reached out to him.

“Yes I’m fine.” She said puzzled.

“I didn’t hurt you.” He gasped out.

She looked down at her arm were the bruises were fading from when he’d grabbed her the other day.

“No.” she said quietly.

He put his hands over his face.

“I dreamt.” He began.

He lowered his hands and looked at her.

“Ella I dreamt that I raped you.” He gasped out.

She moaned.

“God no. You wouldn’t.” she muttered and reached for him.

Roman flinched away from her and sat shaking.

“Roman.” She murmured gently.

“No I hurt you.” He said. “I forced you and I hurt you.”

“Shush it was only a dream.” She told him gently. “Come now lay down with me.”

He shook his head.

“I have to go sleep in the other room.” He muttered swinging his legs to the floor.

“Why?” Ella asked him softly.

“Because I’m angry at you Ella and I don’t want to hurt you ok.” he bit out.

She climbed out of the other side and came around to him.

“Why are you mad at me?” she asked him.

“Because you don’t know what its like for me. I can’t see Elliot.” he muttered burying his head.

“Why?” She asked again.

“Because.” He said again.

She sat next to him.

“Because?” She asked quietly.

“Because I’ve no right to expect anything from him. I took away his brother.” Roman muttered finally. “I shouldn’t even be breathing.” He added.

Ella looked at her husband feeling like she had finally peeled away the last layer off his hurt.

“Roman. “ she said quietly. “I love you. You are a good man. You have done so many amazing things.”

He shook his head.

“What about the amount of times I hurt you.” He pointed out the dream still vivid in his mind.

“And what about the times I’ve hurt you?” she replied. “Come on please my husband.” She told him. “Lay down in bed and try to get some rest.”

He shook his head but let her press him back in the bed. She lay next to him and felt him begin to shake.

“Roman.” She began again. “You won’t hurt me like that.”

He shook his head.

“Ella I heard you say No and I didn’t care.” He said. “I forced you.”

“That was a horrible dream and this is us.” She whispered. “Just think of all the times I’ve made you mad and it could have happened but it didn’t ok, you wouldn’t hurt me like that.”

He flinched.

“It was so real.” He gasped out. “I made you cry.”

Ella sighed as she reached out to him. She kissed him softly on the lips before moving his arms so that they were around her.

“Close your eyes and get some rest.” She whispered. “I love you.”

After a moment he closed his eyes and felt her lay next to him.

“It was a dream wasn’t it?” he asked again.

“Yes my husband it was a dream.” She told him softly snuggling next to him. She lay her head on his shoulder and sighed.

Archived