Elliot's Return

Guest TelephotoMarigold

Chapter 40

Roman rolled over in the bed.

“You so better be Ella.” He mumbled more than half asleep.

He opened his eyes and looked at her blinking slightly at the glare from the bedside lamp.

“Hey my husband.” She told him.

“What are you doing here I was going to pick you up in the morning.” He muttered.

She grinned.

“I missed you.” She murmured “and I didn’t like sleeping alone.”

“Well in that case I’m glad your home.” He whispered and kissed her.

She kissed him back pressing herself close to him feeling his arms wrap around her.

“I missed you too.” He said against her lips. “I take it you brought the baby home too.”

Ella laughed.

“She’s over there in that ridiculous confection of a crib.” She muttered, referring to the antique crib he’d found and installed in the bedroom. It had lace all around it and he knew that despite the mocking tone she loved it.

He smiled.

“I hope that you aren’t planning on her sleeping in here.” She moaned.

He rolled them over until he was leaning over her and he pushed her hair back from her face to look into her eyes.

“Where do you plan on putting her?” he asked with a grin.

“Hasn’t Mike moved out yet and why exactly is Miles sleeping downstairs?” she asked him grumpily.

He laughed kissing her again felling her hands caress him.

“Don’t I have to wait?” he muttered feeling his body stirring at her touch.

She smiled at him.

“Yes but I could do with a cuddle.” She grinned at him before kissing him softly.

He groaned against her lips as she ran her hands down his back and over his firm butt.

“Ella.” He whispered. “Am I dreaming this?”

She chuckled her breath fanning the side of his neck in just the same place she kissed. She heard him moan.

“8 weeks.” She whispered. “Think you can wait that long?” she teased him.

“Oh god no.” he moaned.

She ran her hand teasingly down his chest and then lower.

“Kiss me.” She whispered.

He grinned, kissing her over and over again as he felt her hand stroke him.

“You feel so good.” She murmured.

He chuckled.

“I can’t tell you how good you feel.” He murmured before gasping against her lips. “I love you.” He said to her.

She grinned kissing him, her tongue sliding into his mouth to tease him.

He ran his hands over her body every so gently. His fingers grazing her breasts delicately. She squeezed him ever so slightly before stroking him faster and harder.

“I can’t..” he moaned against her lips.

She kissed him, her other hand stroking down his back as he reached his peak. He collapsed to the side of her breathing heavily.

“Tell me I’m not dreaming this.” He begged huskily.

She chuckled, pressing herself once more in his arms.

“No you aren’t dreaming.” She told him. “We are home and I just made love to you. “ she added. “And just wait until the 8 weeks is up.” She warned him.

His eyes flew to hers and he was about to say something when he yawned.

“No.” she whispered. “I’m doing this because I love you and I’ve missed you.” She answered his unasked question.

She felt his arms tighten around her and smiled.

“Can we have a light on please?” she asked when he was about to switch off the bedside lamp.

He kissed her and left the light on making sure she was wrapped securely in his arms.

Ella woke in the morning and looked over at the crib.

“She’s fine.” Roman told her without even opening his eyes.

Ella chuckled and eased up on the bed.

“Where are we going to put her.” she asked worrying at her bottom lip.

Roman laughed and sat up before climbing out of bed.

“Wait.” She gasped. “Bathrobe.”

He frowned at her.

“Ella.” He began.

“What?” she asked.

“Why do you have this thing about the children and us?” he said puzzled.

She looked at him.

“Do I?” she asked.

He nodded.

“And the whole answering a question with a question won’t cut it. I’ve never asked you about this before but well she’s asleep and can focus about this much.” He stated with a gesture of his fingers indicating distance. “So why do I have to grab a bathrobe which incidentally is on the back of the bedroom door.”

He looked at her in horror.

“Oh no.” he said.

Ella stood and moved over to the crib before heading to the en suite. He raced out of the bed and into the bathroom with her.

“Ella.” He said quietly. “Tell me what I’m thinking isn’t true.”

She turned and looked at him.

“It isn’t true.” She muttered.

He nodded.

“Don’t believe you.” He told her.

“Nothing happened ok, I just saw my mother’s boyfriends.” She muttered pulling away from him.

She turned and looked at him and sighed.

“Roman nothing happened ok. I was ignored mostly and she didn’t care what I saw.” She told him.

He moved over to her and pulled her into his arms pressing a kiss to the top of her head.

“Liar.” He whispered.

She tensed in his arms.

“Tell me about what happened?” he asked her.

“I hate you. “ she moaned burying her face into his chest.

“Uh huh.” He smiled at her.

She looked up.

“When my dad was away she had men friends staying over and she didn’t care that I knew. Or what I saw and as much as I’m comfortable with us I just”

“Want to be cautious with what they see.” He finished.

She nodded.

“Thank you for telling me.” He murmured and placed his finger under her chin to lift her head so he could look in her eyes.

“I love you.” She told him. “All I could think of in that room was how much I loved you.”

“Uh huh. Funny I can remember someone screaming at me that she wanted a divorce.” He said softly.

She blushed.

“Yeah well. I had just given birth.” She muttered.

He grinned.

“What are you blaming? Hormones?” he asked her.

She glared at him before grinning.

He kissed her again wrapping her tight in his arms.

“Come on get dressed.” He instructed stepping into the shower and turning it on.

She pulled off her nightdress and climbed in next to him.

“Oh god, you are trying to kill me aren’t you!” he groaned.

She chuckled and reached for the sponge.

“Just saving water.” She told him and heard him laugh.

He took the sponge out of her hands and poured some of his shower gel on it before washing her all over her gently. She smiled as she reclaimed the sponge and soaped him in turn. She washed her hair and climbed out of the shower wrapping a large towel around her. He followed a moment later turning off the water.

He pulled the towel around himself after roughly drying off. Stepping through to the bedroom he dressed slowly.

Ella moved over to the crib and looking inside on Lilly. Roman noticed her stroking the lace around the crib and hid his grin.

“She still asleep.” He asked.

Ella nodded.

He stood from the bed and moved over to them.

“She’s going to be a quiet one.” He predicted.

Ella reached down and stroked her cheek gently.

“I want a DNA test.” She murmured.

Roman nodded and placed his arm around her,

“Are you going to try hypnosis again.” He asked.

She looked at him quickly.

“You think Elliot is still a threat.” She gasped.

He looked at her.

“I do. But that isn’t why I suggested it El.” He murmured.

She took a breath and looked down at the crib.

“I’m scared.” She whispered.

“What of?” he asked her.

She shook her head and moved to the wardrobe pulling out a dress. She walked over and gathered underwear and got dressed quickly.

He smiled at her and reached for Lilly cradling her in his arms before moving out the door and up the stairs. She followed reluctantly standing next to him as he opened the door to the attic rooms. She gasped when she saw the redecoration.

“The children?” she asked him.

He nodded.

She moved inside quickly opening the door to what was now the boy’s room.

“Mummy.” Sammy said sleepily.

She grinned at him and moved over to the bed bending over and kissing him.

“Isn’t this a surprise for Mummy.” She murmured to him.

“Daddy did all the hard work.” Georgie said sleepily.

“I can bet.” She murmured smiling at Roman.

She went through to the other room and saw the Princess beds.

“Oh wow.” She gasped.

“Want one?” he asked.

She moved over and touched the lace curtains on Meggy’s bed.

“No.” she whispered. “But I am going to sleep up here from now on.”

He chuckled.

“Mummy?” Meggy asked waking up and looking at her.

“Hey Princess.” She greeted her, pressing a kiss to her cheek.

“Mum.” Sophie said sitting up. “Isn’t this great?” she asked.

“It’s wonderful.” She smiled going over to kiss Sophie.

“There’s more.” Roman smiled at her.

“More.” Ella gasped tears in her eyes.

“Yes.” Meggy said and then clamped her hand over her mouth.

Ella smiled at her and walked over to give her another kiss before going over to where Roman was. He caught hold of her hand and lifted it to his lips to press a kiss to it. She smiled at him as she moved close to him.

He smiled and led her back down the stairs and into the nursery.

“Oh my god.” She gasped moving over to the cot. He’s already made it with sheets and blankets and the cot bumper. Everything matched in a sunny yellow colour.

“The baby clothes are from Belle and Nic until you get your own.” He said as she went over to the changing table and opened one of the drawers to see all the folded garments.

“I can’t believe you did all this.” She said tearfully.

He moved over to her and pulled her against him.

“I roped in help.” he confessed. “Moving Nic and then getting the kids sorted out took a bit longer than I thought.”

She smiled at him tearfully.

“You are wonderful and I love you.” She gasped out leaning into him and pressing a kiss to his lips.

“Hear that Lilly your Mum thinks I’m wonderful.” He said to the sleeping baby.

She giggled at him and then turned and caught sight of a picture painted on the far wall.

“Roman.” She gasped.

He flushed.

“Ok, so I got a little creative.” He said.

“You painted a perfect Lilly.” She murmured moving over to it and taking a closer look.

Turning back to him she ran back to him and kissed him.

“It’s beautiful and I love it and I love you. Oh Roman, this is amazing.” She told him pressing kisses all over his face before kissing his lips. He kissed her back until he caught sight of the children in the doorway waiting to come in and see the nursery.

“Come on.” He told them his arm wrapped tightly around El, the baby snuggled between them.

“Daddy.” Meggy murmured looking at the painting.

“I think someone is jealous.” El said quietly.

Roman chuckled and knelt down next to Meggy.

“You’ll still be my Meggy.” He told her and kissed her on the end of her nose.

He stood up and looked down at Lilly seeing her eyes open.

“I think this one may want you now.” He grinned, moving over to Ella and handing Lilly over to her.

She looked down on her baby and smiled.

“Come on Lilly.” She murmured moving over to the wicker rocking chair. She could see the baby screwing up her face getting ready to scream.

“Can you pass me a blanket?” she asked him.

Sophie ran over to the bureaux and picked up a white lacy blanket and took that too her.

“Thank you Sophie.” She told her drappign the blanket over them as she started to feed Lilly.

“Come on Kids lets go get breakfast.” Roman told them and left Ella and Lilly in the nursery.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 41

Ella sat with Rachel waiting for Roman to collect her. She had been having hypnosis for the last 4 weeks with no discernible recovery of memory until today. She cradled Lilly to her, looking at her daughter’s face.

“Ella.” Rachel murmured.

She looked up.

“This is a good thing isn’t it?” she asked her.

Ella nodded.

“Remembering that Elliot never laid a hand on me is good of course it is. I’ve been so scared but I know how much he wants to hurt Roman and I’m afraid for him.” she confessed softly.

“Roman can deal with it. And now he knows that as awful as it was for you during those six months at least the worst didn’t happen.” She said to her.

Ella nodded.

“Yes, I’m sure he will be grateful his wife wasn’t raped.” Ella said bitterly. “Or unfaithful.”

“El?” Rachel murmured.

Ella stood and started pacing.

“How do I deal with the feeling that if I wasn’t married to him this bad stuff wouldn’t keep happening to me Rach?” Ella asked her.

Rachel took a deep breath.

“So you blame him?” she asked.

Ella turned to her.

“Yes.” She said.

She looked down on her daughter rocking her gently.

“No.” she added quietly. “Rachel I love him so much but this stuff it keep happening and how do I stop it from hurting.” She murmured.

“Come and sit down.” Rachel said quietly.

Ella looked at her and moved to sit next to the other woman.

“Do you really love him?” Rachel asked.

Ella gasped.

“Yes of course.” She said.

“There is no of course. You have to know you are saying the words because its what you really feel. If you don’t then you have to end it. I’ve seen you fall apart before my eyes Ella, dealing with the worst stuff imaginable but that man looks at you and even though you spit like an angry cat at him there is something about you two that brings you back together each and every time. He would go through hell for you.”

She started at Rachel’s words.

“Oh you are bad at Marriage counselling because I’m twice as confused now.” Ella muttered.

“Did you know you nearly died having this one?” Rachel murmured.

Ella nodded slowly.

“But did you know that at one point they were considering an emergency hysterectomy?” Rachel asked her.

Ella gasped.

“No.” she said quietly.

“Roman said no. He said that you hadn’t planned on more children and would probably not have anymore but he wouldn’t take that choice away from you.” Rachel murmured. “He loves you that much that he put your needs and feelings above his own.”

Ella looked at her tears on her face.

“He never told me.” She murmured.

Rachel nodded.

“Not the usual topic of conversation that I imagine you’d have.” She said to her.

Ella grinned at her.

“No we usually talk about the kids and deranged kidnappers.”

“Do you love him El?” Rachel asked and saw tears spring into the other woman’s eyes at the question.

“Yes I do. “ she said simply. “He was always the one.” She added.

“The one you came back too?” Rachel asked her softly.

Ella nodded.

“The one I compared everyone to. The one who held me when I was scared. Who would have given his life in place of my brothers. The one who makes my heart beat faster.” She whispered.

“It hasn’t all been bad has it El?” she asked.

Ella shook her head.

“God no. It’s wonderful most of the time. Maybe boringly normal to some but to me it’s wonderful. We sort the kids out during the day and then for a few hours we sit talking about everything and nothing at the same time and then stumble into bed. It’s just those moments we look at each other and kiss or touch hands or just smile into each other eyes. I would miss it so much if we ever lost that. He fills my heart with love. “ Ella paused looking at her friend with tears in her eyes before looking down at her daughter. “And you should see him with them. He is the best dad.” She added.

Rachel leaned over and placed her hand on Ella’s arm before looking over her shoulder.

“You can take your wife home now.” She said and heard Ella gasp in shock.

Roman moved forward and helped Ella stand putting his arms around her.

“I love you El.” He whispered softly.

“How much did you hear?” she asked him as he lead her and the baby to the car.

He grinned.

“Just the last bit.” He told her. “When I see you smile it makes my heart smile too. When we sit together and we can’t resist touching each other its makes my insides melt. Then there are these wonderful kids you keep giving me. I wouldn’t swap a minute of being with you even if it’s gotten bad between us for a while because I know that you’ll look at me and everything will be ok somehow.” he said softly.

The reached the car and he looked at the windscreen before frowning.

“What is it?” he heard her ask fearfully.

“Nothing.” He smiled at her. “Just a flyer.”

She reached out and grabbed it before he could.

“Watching you Hardcore.” She read out. “Nice flyer. Tell me when do we get our two for one deal with deranged stalkers trying to kill you.” She muttered thrusting the paper at him and yanking open the car door.

He heard a faint click and panicked, putting his arms around Ella and the baby he yanked them away from the car and threw them to the ground putting himself between them and the car. Another click sounded and he knew that something had either gone wrong with the wiring on the device Elliot had planted or he was just playing another sick game. He heard the baby cry and he gasped at what could have happened.

“Get off me.” She told him angrily.

He moved and stood up bending down to help her up. She shook her head and eased herself up clumsily, moving away from him without saying another word and he swore. He moved to the car and started to look over it when he felt a hand on his arm.

“Are you out of your ……. mind?” she screamed at him using a choice word.

He let himself be dragged away and used his phone to report the device to the police, watching El try to calm the baby down while she glared at him and tapped her foot.

“Ella.” He said.

“You. Do. Not. Speak. To. me.” She hissed at him.

“On the scale of being mad at me is this up there with the time I was recalled or ..” he began.

She looked at him.

“You want to know where this ranks?” she asked in disbelief.

He grinned at her.

“It’s just that although over the years I’ve heard you swear before I’ve never heard you actually scream swearwords. And not the big ones.” He murmured.

She looked at him and shook her heard, her long hair flying around her face.

“Right now I am so mad at you I could kill you myself.” She hissed at him. “And you want to make a joke about my reaction?” she added.

He smiled.

“Actually I’m just pretty grateful you are still here to give me a reaction.” He grinned at her.

She glared at him again.

“Oh you’ll be getting a reaction.” She promised and turned her back on him, still tapping her foot.

He smiled and reached over to her putting his arms around her and the baby.

“I’m still mad.” She told him.

“I know.” He said sighing.

She felt his hot breath flash past the back of her neck and forced herself not to melt against him. He lowered his head and kissed her in the special spot on the side of her long neck that made her knees go weak. She was rescued from complete surrender when Mike pulled up in her car. She turned and glared at Roman.

“You better wait here for the police. I’ll see you at home.” She muttered.

He nodded and watched as she put the baby in the car seat and climbed into the passenger side of the car. He watched them drive off and sighed. It was good job they had no spare rooms because he could see himself banished to one in the not too distant future.

By the time he got home he was tired and fed up. They had taken his car to the police impound lot after a team of bomb disposal experts had gone over it with a fine toothed comb. The device had been a warning only, even though a loose wire had prevented it from going off.

He looked at the meal waiting on the table and the silent children and he groaned.

“Daddy.” Meggy greeted running over to him.

“Hey.” He said to her picking her up.

“Sit back at the table Megan.” El said quietly.

He lowered her to the floor and watched and she walked to the table and sat down her head lowered.

“Is there a problem?” he asked Ella, somewhat unwisely he thought when she glared at him again.

“No problem. “ Ella said to him.

He smiled at her before moving into the kitchen and washing his hands. He dried them and sat down at the table with them. He helped himself to salad and slices of ham before adding cheese to the jacket potato and picking up his knife and fork.

“Megan elbows off the table.” Ella said to her.

Sammy looked at his sister and smiled at her but she lowered her eyes and pushed her food round her plate.

“If you aren’t hungry you can be excused.” Ella said to her.

“May I be excused?” Sophie asked quickly.

“No.” Ella said.

Sophie glared at her and put her knife and fork down. She looked over at Georgie and he nodded doing likewise. Sammy grinned and put his down too.

“Think very carefully before you annoy me further.” Ella told them.

“It’s not my fault.” Meggy said quickly and stood up from the table.

“Megan you may be excused. Upstairs to your room.” She instructed her.

Sophie stood too.

“I didn’t say you could be excused. Sit back down.” Ella said.

Sophie looked at her for a moment.

“I wish Daddy hadn’t found you.” She said to her.

“Sophie.” Roman gasped at his daughter’s words.

Ella stood up.

“You may be excused now Sophie. Straight to your room and I don’t want to hear anything from you until morning.” She said to her.

Sophie glared before turning and storming out of the room.

Roman placed his knife and fork down and looked at Ella.

“Boys upstairs.” He instructed.

Ella glared at him as Georgie and Sammy left the table.

He waited until they left.

“What did she do?” he asked.

Ella folded her arms.

“Go look in the nursery.” Ella murmured.

“Ella.” He muttered.

She looked at him her eyebrow raised.

He nodded and stood up moving up the stairs. He looked round the room before he saw the damage. Meggy had used colouring pens to mark the picture of the lily he’d painted. He sighed before turned and looked at Ella who had come up behind him.

“We’ve dealt with jealousy before. She’s high strung we know that.” He said quietly.

She looked at him and lifted her T shirt to show him the bruise.

“Ella.” He gasped.

“Are you going to say that I’m imagining things again?” she asked him. “That I’m paranoid? That it’s just a phase she’ll get through.”

“Are you sure” he began to say.

“Forget it.” Ella hissed at him and reached down to pick up Lilly.

She turned away from him and stormed into the bedroom, taking her with her, and slammed the door. He heard the key turn in the lock and he swore. He waited a moment before he moved to the door.

“Either open it or I’ll kick it open.” He told her through the wooden door..

He heard the key turn and he opened the door and moved into the bedroom.

“Are you sure she bruised you and it didn’t happen when I knocked you down earlier?” he finished the question.

She glared at him.

“It was her.” she hissed. “When I dragged the felt tip out of her hand she hit me. And tempted though I was to slap her back I didn’t.” she told him in a cold voice. “I’m still waiting for my apology.”

He moved to her and flinched himself when she flinched away from him.

“El.” He said softly.

“Leave me alone now.” She told him. “Danni needs picking up from Aden’s at 7.”

“Where is Mike?” he asked.

She looked at him.

“Gone to see Miles. His leave is up in a couple of days.” She murmured.

He nodded.

“Ok.” he said moving away from her.

He pulled the door closed and went up the stairs to the children’s room. He went into the girls room and found Sophie comforting a crying Meggy.

“Out Sophie.” He said top her.

She looked up and then moved away.

“You want to tell me why you did it?” he asked her.

She shrugged.

“Not good enough.” He said.

“She came in and I wanted to tell her about my grade on my book report.” Meggy told him in a halting voice.

He folded his arms and waited.

“She told me she had to see to the baby and she forgot about me.” She finished.

He looked at her.

“Is that why you did it?” he asked.

She nodded.

“You did that for the baby and it’s not even yours,” Meggy finally burst out with. “Mummy cheated on you.” She added angrily.

He looked at her in shock.

“Lilly is as much mine as you and Sophie and Georgie and Sammy are.” He told her. “And Mummy would never cheat on me.”

Meggy looked up fresh tears on her face.

“How did she get pregnant then?” Meggy asked snuffling. “She wasn’t living with us.”

“Right come with me.” He told her and caught hold of her arms and tugged her gently to her feet.

Her guided her down the stairs and into the bedroom.

“Ella.” He murmured. “Meggy has something to say to you. “ Roman said.

Ella looked up.

“I’m sorry.” Meggy said.

“For what?” Ella said.

She looked up at her dad.

“I can’t.” Meggy gasped out.

“Meggy thinks that Lilly isn’t mine.” Roman told her. “She got a bit upset because you were busy with her and it built up.”

Ella looked at her.

“Well I’m fed up with your behaviour. Lilly is your sister. She needs a bit more of my attention because she’s a baby. And she is most definitely your Daddy’s.” Ella told her daughter.

Meggy looked at her and then at her dad before turning around and running back upstairs.

“Well you handled that really well.” Roman said quietly.

She glared at him.

“Well we all know you are the perfect parent and I’m the screw up.” Ella shouted at him. “Get out of my sight.” She screamed at him.

He looked at her for a moment before he turned and walked away back down the stairs. She looked at Lilly before lifting her out of the crib and returning her to the nursery. She went up the stairs to the attic and walked into the girl’s room. She found Meggy on the bed sobbing and Sophie sitting with her.

“Megan come with me.” She told her.

Meggy looked up in shock before moving off the bed and easing her way towards her mother. She took hold of her hand and led her down the stairs to the nursery. Once there she picked up Lilly and moved over to the rocking chair and sitting in it. She patted her knee and Megan slowly walked over to her. Ella reached out and picked her up lifting her into her lap.

“Right you have to support her head,” She told Megan.

Megan looked up in shock.

“Go on she won’t bite.”

She reached out and took hold of Lilly with her mum helping her.

“Now look at her.” Ella said gently.

Meggy looked down.

“See those eyes. See how blue they are.” Ella said softly. “They are just like your Daddies eyes. You all have his eyes. Remember when Danni came and everyone said she was my daughter?” Ella said softly.

Meggy nodded, chewing on her bottom lip worriedly.

“Well I knew she wasn’t because she didn’t have your Daddies eyes.” Ella told her stroking her hair back from her face.

“But she’s ours now.” Meggy murmured.

Ella nodded.

“Yes she’s ours now. And Lilly is ours. “

“I’m sorry.” She said to her.

“I am proud of you Meggy for all the A’s and B’s you are getting on your school work and I tell you that all the time. But look how small she is. It means that she needs me to take care of her a lot more until she gets bigger.”

Meggy nodded.

“Do you understand now?” Ella murmured.

Meggy nodded again.

“How can I make her picture better?” she asked looking over at the wall.

“You’ll have to speak to Daddy about that.” Ella told her.

Meggy leaned against her feeling her Mum’s arms around her and her baby sister. They sat like that for a while before Ella pressed a kiss to her daughter’s head and taking Lilly out of her arms.

“Up you get sweetie.” She told her. Meggy stood and moved to one side watching as Ella put the baby back in the cot. She covered her up carefully before walking out of the nursery.

“Go tell everyone to come down.” She told Meggy.

She nodded and ran up the stairs to the attic. Ella smiled before heading down the stairs. She went into the kitchen and looked at Roman. He had made hot chocolate and poured out five cups. There was even a plate of cookies.

“Baby monitor.” She groaned looking over at the small item on the kitchen top.

He nodded and passed her a cup of hot chocolate.

She blew on it and took a sip picking up a biscuit off the plate and taking a bite. The children came in and he handed them a cup each. They moved over to the sofa and sat down. Roman sitting next to her after putting the biscuit in front of them on the coffee table.

She looked over at him and saw him grinning at her.

Sammy took a biscuit.

“Meggy next time can we finish dinner before you do something wrong?” he asked her.

She glared at him.

“Nobody asked you to stop eating.” She muttered picking up her own biscuit and drinking the chocolate.

“Well normally Mum gives in and sneaks us pizza later.” Georgie pointed out.

“Your Mother is right here and still in a bad mood.” She told them with a grin.

Meggy moved closer to her.

“She’s not in that much of a bad mood she’s stopped calling me Megan.” Meggy told the others.

Sophie grinned.

“Is everything sorted now?” she asked her.

Meggy nodded.

“Meggy why did you think Lilly wasn’t mine?” he asked his daughter suddenly getting a bad feeling.

She looked up at them both, tears gathering in her eyes again.

“Elliot told me.” She said.

“Elliot?” Ella repeated.

She put her cup on the table and looked at Meggy.

“When did you see Elliot?” she asked her.

“At school. He said that I shouldn’t’ tell you because you’d get upset.” She added.

“Ok.” Ella said quietly. “If Elliot comes near anyone of you again I need you to go and find another adult. You mustn’t talk to him.” she kept her tone calm not to alarm them.

Meggy nodded.

“Shall we watch a movie now?” Ella asked them.

Meggy grinned slowly.

“Over the hedge.” Sammy suggested.

Ella nodded.

“Can you put it on Georgie.” She asked him. “Roman can you go get Danni home please?” she murmured.

He nodded and stood up moving to the door, he opened it and went out.

She stood up and followed him out the door.

“I’m sorry.” He said quickly.

“Shh.” she said and moved over to him putting her arms around his waist.

He wrapped his arms around her and held her.

“I remembered.” She told him. “He never touched me.”

He sighed.

“Except now when he is hurting our kids.” He murmured. “First Danni, then Mike and the baby, now Meggy.”

“It will be ok.” she whispered and kissed him.

He nodded and moved away climbing in the car. She watched him drive off a worried expression on her face.

Chapter 42

Ella lay in bed reading when Roman came to bed. She watched him undress and head into the bathroom and heard the shower come on. They hadn’t spoken to each other properly for days, not about the Elliot stuff that was going on or anything else and she wondered if she should just slap him and try to get it out of his system or let him stew a bit longer.

She grinned wickedly at the thought just as he walked back into the bedroom. He looked over at her and seemed about to say something but remained silent.

“Ok.” she said.

He looked over at her at the word.

“Ok what?” he asked.

“I’m letting you stew. I can’t be bothered to try and get conversation out of you.” She murmured and switched out her light.

“So is that what I’m doing?” he asked her turning around. He bumped into the blanket box at the end of the bed and swore.

“Aren’t you supposed to be able to see in the dark?” she asked.

“Ella.” He muttered. “I’m not exactly in the mood to put up with your little digs right now.” He said finding his way around the bed and climbing into it.

She laughed at him and turned her back to him.

“Whatever.” She told him.

“And don’t do that.” He muttered. “You have no idea how much that P*sses me off.” He groaned.

“Sure fine.” She murmured biting her lip so she didn’t giggle.

“Are you deliberately trying to get a rise out of me?” he asked.

She laughed then and heard him sigh.

“Very funny.” He muttered and moved over to her in the bed.

“You do realise that it has been eleven weeks now don’t you?” she asked him.

“What has?” he asked puzzled. “Oh!” He added as he realised.

He rolled over in the bed and moved next to her.

“Are you feeling a little neglected?” he asked softly putting his arm around her.

She smiled and reached for his hand and lifted his arm away.

“Nope.” she murmured. “You’ve got way too much on your mind to worry about me.”

He sighed and rolled over.

“So that’s it.” he muttered.

She sighed.

“You want to turn this into an argument?” she asked him. ”Or I don’t know, shall we try something new where we don’t damage our relationship because it feels like it is on pretty shaky ground half the time anyway.”

He moved out of the bed and put the light on. Standing up he went over to the chest of drawers and started getting clothes out.

“Roman?” she asked puzzled.

“I can’t do this ok? I can’t joke about this. I can’t deal with Elliot being in the same bed as us. “

She sat up and looked at him before getting out of bed herself.

“Whatever.” She told him again.

She moved past him and into the bathroom.

He heard the shower come on and he swore. He strode into the bathroom and looked at her.

“Get out.” She told him. “I don’t want you near me.”

“Ella I didn’t mean it like that.”

She looked at him then.

“How exactly did you mean it? I’ve told you every scrap of information I can. I’ve told you he didn’t touch me in that way.” She murmured stripping off her nightdress and climbing into the shower.

He stood for a minute before following her.

“I didn’t mean that you were in any way unfaithful El.”

“Oh thanks.” She muttered. “That makes me feel heaps better.”

“Stop taking what I say out of context will you?” he asked her exasperatedly.

She stepped out of the shower and yanked a towel round herself.

“Are you actually saying anything?” she asked him.

“Stop turning it around Ella. I can’t talk to you about Elliot right now. That’s all I meant.” he finally told her.

She looked at him.

“It’s not about whether you can talk about it or not, it’s about the fact that you aren’t talking at all. You’ve been stewing for weeks.”

He looked at her.

“He nearly killed you and the baby.” Roman ground out.

“But he didn’t.” she murmured. “And you can get as mad as you like about it but if you are like this around us then we may as well have been blown to bits by that bomb.”

“Don’t even say. Don’t ever say that.” He groaned.

She went over to him and placed her hand over the top of his fast beating heart..

“Then stop shutting us out Roman. Stop mentally beating yourself up over this. I know that I’ve blamed you but if I can let it go then you have to. What angered me most about that was not that he tried to kill us but that you went back to check out the car after. What if it went off? If it was just a delayed explosion?”

He grinned at her placing his hand on top of hers.

“El, I’m trained.” He murmured softly.

She glared at him.

“In bomb disposal?” she scoffed.

He nodded.

“In flipping bomb disposal?” she muttered again.

Roman looked at her.

“Yes, amongst other things.” He told her quietly.

“Fine.” She muttered and walked into the bedroom.

“Is that it?” he asked a grin on his face.

“Yup.” She murmured, dropping the towel and climbing naked into bed.

He chuckled and walked over to the bed climbing in the other side.

“I hope that you aren’t planning anything because quite frankly if you can’t talk to me then there is no point getting physical is there?” she murmured.

He laughed and reached for her.

“I mean it.”

“I accept your point my dear wife now it’s been a heck of a long time come here.” He muttered.

She giggled at him and leaned forward to kiss him.

“I mean it Roman, you want to brood then go do it elsewhere. You want it kept out of our bed then lets get it out of our home.” She murmured.

He smiled.

“Ok.” he agreed.

She looked at him.

“Ok?” she asked.

“I’ll do my best.” He murmured.

“That’s all I can ask for. I love you Roman.” She told him. “We’ll get through this ok?”

“Aren’t I supposed to be the one comforting you?” he asked her kissing her lips gently.

“I think we are allowed to comfort each other.” she whispered.

“Well I think I might need a lot of comfort.” He told her a grin on his face. “I’m sorry El.”

She ran her hand down his chest.

“What are you sorry for?” she asked him.

“I should have paid you far more attention.”

She grinned at him before pressing her lips to his and then along the line of his jaw.

He rolled over and pinned her back on the bed.

“Ouh!” she moaned. “Are you getting masterful?”

He chuckled before kissing her.

He ran his hands down her body, feeling her quiver under his touch and he grinned. His body leapt in response and she smiled as she felt him move over her. He kissed her lips easing his tongue into her mouth as she kissed him back. He felt her tongue teasing his and he released his hold on her hands sliding his down her body. She had started to lose the baby weight but there was still an exciting curve to her belly, from carrying his child. He pressed the flat of his hand to her hip before caressing her buttock.

“El.” He murmured.

“Would you like to know our preferred method of birth control tonight?” she grinned at him.

“As long as it isn’t abstinence.” He murmured back.

She giggled against his lips.

“I’m on the pill.” She whispered.

He smiled.

“And” he began to ask.

“No.” she murmured. “It is safe.”

He laughed against her lips.

“Isn’t that how we got the twins? And Lilly?” he grinned.

She smiled back.

“Well you do have a wonderful nursery.” She told him. “Seems a shame that only Lilly is going to use it.”

He eased back and looked into her face.

“I trust you aren’t serious.” He muttered.

She lifted her hand and stroked his face.

“You don’t want another little boy?”

He shook his head.

“No not at the expense of your health. “ he groaned.

She laughed.

“I’ve been on it for 5 weeks. It’s ok.” she murmured. “And I don’t want another baby. I don’t want to risk it.”

He grinned.

“So testing me?” he muttered.

He reached down and started tickling her, feeling her writhe underneath him.

“Stop.” She gasped laughing.

“Admit you were testing me.” He ordered.

“Roman please.” She begged, twisting underneath him to try and get away from his tickling hands.

He laughed at her.

“You are so going to die Harris!” she muttered.

He stilled and looked at her.

“What is it about me that makes people want to kill me?”

She looked up at him winding her arms around his neck.

“I don’t know. Its because you are tickling me. Maybe Elliot needed more tickling or less?” she suggested.

He glared at her for a moment before grinning.

“Tickling?” he murmured running his hand down her body again.

“Stop no.” she gasped pushing at his shoulders.

He grinned some more before kissing her. His lips firm on hers. She wrapped her arms around his neck and clung to him.

“I want you.” She murmured.

He looked down at her.

“I want you too, so much.” He murmured. “I’m sorry I made us wait so long.”

She smiled at him before running her hands all over him.

“Take me.” She said simply.

Chapter 43

“That felt good.” She murmured in the dark.

He laughed.

“I thought so too.”

“Roman I was talking about the talking bit.”

“Oh.” He chuckled. “Yeah that seemed different.”

He moved closed to her his arms wrapped tight around her.

“Actually yeah.” He added after a time. “It always amazes me how mad we get at each other and yet end up like this.”

Ella laughed.

“Rachel summed it up.” She murmured pressing a kiss to his arm. “She said I spit at you like an angry cat but one look from you and I melt.”

“I’ll have to remember that for future use.” He promised.

He felt her laugh against him and smiled.

“Ella you know that this is only going to end one way don’t you.” He said suddenly.

“I thought we decided this was an Elliot free zone.” She said turning in his arms and putting her arms around him. He turned too and he felt her head resting on his shoulder. Her full length was pressed against him and he felt comfort from her warmth. The six months of sleeping without her just went to remind him how wonderful this was.

“You know what it is don’t you?” she asked him suddenly.

“What El?” he said sleepily.

“We throw the big stuff around because we know that it hurts.” She muttered. “It’s the only stuff that does.”

She lifted her head and looked at him.

He moved his arm from around her and adjusted the pillow behind him before putting on the bedside lamp.

“Partly that.” He agreed. “But its also you going quiet on me. Freaks me out.”

She looked into his eyes.

“I’m sorry. I don’t know how to stop that. “ she said softly.

He reached down and stroked her hair.

“When you saw Rachel comfort me you did it again.” He pointed out.

She nodded.

“But you came and talked to me about it.” he added.

She grinned.

“Yes.” She acknowledged.

“Just remember that the next time.” he grinned.

“Look at us being grown up.” She murmured grinning.

He kissed her.

“I love you Ella,” he murmured.

“I love you too.”

She looked over at the baby monitor as she heard Lilly start to wake up.

“I need to go see to her.” she said.

He grinned.

“She can wait a couple of minutes I need to kiss my woman.” He told her.

“Your woman?” she asked him.

He laughed.

“Aren’t you?”

She nodded with a blush staining her cheeks.

He pulled her closer to him and pressed his lips to hers. They heard the first cries coming from Lilly and he reluctantly let her go. She scrambled out of bed and retrieved her nightdress pulling it on and racing to the nursery. He watched her move and grinned. He climbed out of bed and tided up the bedroom before finding his pyjama bottoms and dragging them on. He moved down the stairs and fetched a glass of water taking it into the nursery and putting it to one side.

He smiled as he saw Ella with Lilly.

“She’s stunning.” He murmured. “And I thought the same about Megan and Sophie.”

Ella eased up off the wicker rocking chair and Roman sat in it. She eased herself back down until she was sitting across his lap and felt his arms go round her.

“Miniature Ella’s.” he murmured.

She looked at him.

“Oh god I hope not.” She muttered.

He laughed.

“You should have seen Sophie try to come with us.” Roman told her softly. “She tried to blackmail me.”

Ella looked up and him and grinned.

“That’s my daughter.” She said proudly.

Roman laughed and kissed her.

He looked down at Lilly and saw her gazing at him.

“I’m going to have just as much trouble with this one aren’t I?” he asked.

Ella nodded.

“She’s already plotting to wrap you round her little finger.” She told him.

“Has she finished?” he murmured.

“I think so.” Ella told him and placed Lilly into his arms.

She stood up slowly adjusting her nightdress and then reached for the glass of water. She took a sip and smiled at him.

He eased up and reached for a towel placing it over his shoulder as he burped the baby rubbing slow circles on her back. They laughed at the incredibly loud burp coming from the small baby.

“Some thing she gets from her dad.” Ella murmured with a grin.

He glared at her before catching hold of her hand and pulling her towards him and kissing her.

She giggled and moved to the door.

“I’m going back to bed. You’ve got the next bit.”

“Yeah, “ he said. “I can tell that.”

She watched as he laid Lilly on the changing table and started to deal with the dirty nappy before heading into the bedroom. She climbed tiredly into the bed and snuggled down. She heard Roman talking softly to his daughter through the baby monitor and smiled to herself. When he joined her in bed she was fast asleep still smiling. He moved close to her and took her in his arms. Bliss, he thought to himself and no one was going to take it away from him.

Elliot sat in his car watching the house. He saw the light on in the front room and then go out again to replaced by the soft glow of what he suspected was nightlight. That would make that the nursery he judged. He had nothing against Ella or the brats they were just a means to an end he wanted Hardcore to suffer. He turned the engine on and started the car setting off down the drive. He would have to think of something new. Maybe another little obstacle course for the other man.

Roman was dozing off when he heard the car start up. He moved quietly out of the bed and back to the nursery. He saw headlights in the distance and knew it was Elliot. He pulled out his phone and dialled Jacko.

“Yeah this better be bloody important.” Jacko muttered sleepily.

“Elliot was just watching the house.” Roman said into the phone.

“What do you plan on doing Hardcore?” Jacko asked fully awake.

“Killing him.” Roman said. “I want him gone permanently.”

“Fine. Pete, James and I will be there tomorrow. We’ll talk.” Jacko said and cut the connection.

Roman looked out again before moving silently back into the bedroom. He placed his phone down and eased back under the covers. He lay on his back his arm under his head watching the shadows across the ceiling.

Chapter 44

Ella sat on the back veranda watching as the sun rose in the pale blue sky.

“Hey.” Roman called out.

He walked out through the back door and sat next to her on the bench.

“I missed you.” He said quietly. “What are you doing out here?”

“Just watching the sun come up.” El told him.

He reached for her hand and frowned when she flinched away from him.

“El?” he asked.

She looked at him with tears in her eyes.

“I heard you last night.” She told him.

He looked up.

“When?” he started to say. “Oh.”

She lifted her feet up on the bench and put her arms around her legs.

“If you do it Roman I can’t live with you anymore.” She muttered then sighed. “I don’t know how I can live with you. It will be murder.”

“Ella how do you think we will get him out of our lives?” he asked calmly.

“This is hard for me Roman. I’m scared for us, for you and I’m petrified that he might hurt our children, of course I am but I can’t let you kill him. The thought that you could calmly talk about killing someone after making love to me chills me inside.” She whispered. “I wouldn’t let you kill Gardy because.” She stopped and sucked in a deep breath. “Because it would have hurt you. I didn’t regret that even when he escaped.”

He sat next to her silently, sensing how hard it was for her to talk to him like this.

“Gardy hurt me Roman. He took everything good about me and turned it into something that I hated. Even now I don’t like seeing myself in a mirror. And Elliot knew what happened and he trapped me in the same room. Of course I want him gone, maybe more than you. But plotting his death makes it murder.” She sighed and looked at him. “You have to find another way.”

Roman held out his hand to her and after a moment she put hers in his steady grip.

“Thank you.” He whispered.

She looked up then.

“What for?” she asked him.

He looked out on the sky seeing the colours of the sunrise merging and blending.

“Being brave enough to tell me that. For loving me so much that you let me see your hurt.”

She gasped when he lifted her into his arms and held her against him within moments she gave into the sobs she was keeping inside her.

“Tell me.” He whispered.

“Just remembering all the Gardy stuff was hard.” She mumbled into his chest.

He sighed and stroked her hair his hand unsteady.

“I love you El, you know that don’t you, all the Gardy stuff it’s in the past he can’t hurt you anymore.” He told her.

“It’s in my head Roman. It keeps coming back.”

“Even now?” he asked dreading the answer.

She pulled back and looked at him.

“Yes.” She said quietly.

“With us?” he asked equally as quietly.

“Do you want me to lie to you?” she asked in return. “Roman he hurt me. I don’t know how to explain this to you. I feel dirty inside ashamed. Part of me can’t let go of what he did no matter what anybody says or what I do. “ She stopped and looked at him.

“Ok.” he murmured shock evident in his voice.

She continued to look into his eyes.

“Do you understand?” she forced herself to ask still afraid of his reaction.

“I think I do.”

“And as much as I detest Elliot for going after my kids, and for shutting me back in that room to relive all that over and over again and for hurting you I can’t let you kill him, not in cold blood. “ she told him. “I don’t want to see you hurting because of it and I know you would.”

He put his hand on her face caressing her cheek gently.

“Thank you El, “ he whispered and leaned forward kissing her lips.

She eased back and looked at him.

“Do you understand?” she asked.

He nodded.

“Yes.” He said softly.

She nodded and wrapped her arms around him.

“I love you Roman.” She murmured.

He found his arms around her and he held her tight.

“My beautiful courageous wife.” He murmured.

She sighed.

“Let me guess now isn’t the time to call you beautiful.” He murmured.

She shook her head and eased off his lap and standing up. She caught hold of his hand and led him down the garden. She stopped and opened the gate leading to the pool and moved though it.

“El?” he muttered.

She grinned wickedly at him.

“No.” he said shaking his head. “We can’t.”

She looked at him and reached down stripping off her nightdress before diving naked into the pool. He watched her surface in the middle of the pool and look at him.

“Well?” she asked.

He chuckled.

“Witch.” He groaned and stripped off his pyjama bottoms looking around nervously before diving into the pool. He surfaced next to her and saw her laughing.

“This is wicked.” He muttered putting his strong arms around her and moving her through the water to the side of the pool.

She kissed him wrapping her arms around his neck.

“What are you thinking?” he asked. “I’ve already agreed with you I don’t need persuading.”

She glared at him before seeing the grin on his face.

“For an awful minute I thought you were serious.” She muttered.

He chuckled.

“El you make love to me because you want to and it’s good and it’s about Love.” He said against her lips. “And I make love to you because I love you and this is amazing and wonderful and crazy and beautiful.” He told her. “And yes, sometimes I have to ask because a part of me still can’t believe that you love me.”

She giggled and he leaned forward and kissed her, his lips gentle on hers. She eased back looking into his eyes before wrapping her legs around him. It was only due to Roman holding on to the side of the pool that stopped them dunking back into the water.

He gasped laughing as he kissed her again before they began to make love with the blue water swirling around them.

Jacko and Pete looked at each other with a smirk, they had arrived a while ago and after hearing suspicious noises coming from the garden had taken a look. It took a few seconds before they retreated back into the house. Now they made themselves busy cooking breakfast. They had also made a big pot of coffee and were drinking a cup each when the children started coming down.

“Jacko?” Sammy muttered rubbing his eyes.

“What kiddo?” he asked.

“Where is dad?”

Jacko grinned.

“He’s busy.” He answered with a smirk.

Sammy nodded before sitting at the table and looking at the food in front of him. He helped himself to toast and some of the eggs and started eating.

It wasn’t long before the others joined him and helped themselves to breakfast. Danni brought Lilly down with her and laid her in the bassinet.

“Where are the grumps?” she asked.

“We’re here.” Ella said breathlessly coming in form outside. She had pulled her nightdress back on but her hair was soaking her back and she shivered. “Who cooked?”

“That would be us.” Jacko muttered looking at them.

“Thanks.” Roman added walking in from the veranda.

“You seemed to be busy.” Pete said sipping his coffee.

“We went for a swim.” El said, only just managing to keep a straight face.

She caught Danni looking at her and started to blush.

Roman grinned and took hold of Ella’s hand leading her up the stairs and to their bedroom.

Sophie smiled at the others.

“Mummy and Daddy were kissing again.” She told them.

Sammy rolled his eyes but he grinned too.

Danni looked at Sophie and chuckled.

Chapter 45

“Hey!” Nic murmured walking in through the front door.

“Hey Nic.” Danni called she was sitting at the table in the dinning room a pile of books around her. “They are out the back.”

Nic grinned and nodded to Robbie and Angel before walking over to Danni. The kids ran out back to join the others.

“How are you doing sis?” she asked her.

“I think it going ok. I hate the HSC.” She muttered.

“Me too. Took me two goes.” Nic told her. “Why don’t you take a break and go out back for a bit?”

Danni shook her head.

“Got to get this biology assignment done.” She said with a groan.

Nic chuckled.

Danni looked at her.

“I suppose 10 minutes won’t hurt.” She said standing up.

They went outside and saw El lying on a blanket on the grass. She was wearing a hot pink bikini her nail and toenails painted to match. Her long hair was parted in the middle and confined in two plaits fastened with pink bands. Sophie was lying next to her dressed in a similar costume her hair in the same style. Nic smiled.

“Hey.” She called.

“Hello daughter.” Ella grinned, sitting up.

She put her hand over her eyes to shade them and stood up slowly.

“You’re looking good Step-mama.” Nic grinned at her.

“Glad someone agrees with me.” Roman said leading Georgie and Sammy out of the pool. The two boys looked as though they had been having fun and were still grinning. He moved until he was standing next to Ella and he placed a kiss on her cheek.

Nic watched her blush and grinned some more.

“Do you want a drink?” he asked her.

“Sorry I should have asked.” Danni muttered.

“It’s ok it’s nice to see you outside.” Roman smiled at her.

“Can we go in the pool?” Angel came running up and asked her.

“Please?” Robbie joined in and asked.

Nic chuckled.

“Ok then. “ she agreed.

“Your swimsuits are in the kids room.” Ella told them and watched as they ran off to get changed.

Sophie stood up and came over to them.

“Is Meggy allowed out now?” she asked.

Ella looked at Roman.

“I suppose so.” He murmured.

“Yey!” Sophie grinned and ran inside.

“Now then.” Ella murmured walking over to the veranda and sitting down. Roman pressed a kiss to her lips before going inside while the boys went back to the pool. Nic grinned and followed Ella sitting next to her.

“Just a routine visit.” Nic murmured. “Geoff has Mira so I thought I would take the kids for a drive.”

Ella nodded.

“Danni are you joining us or going for a swim?” she asked her watching the conflicting emotions on the girls face.

She grinned and ran inside to get changed,

“Where is Lily?” Nic asked.

Ella chuckled.

“She’s in the nursery.” Ella told her and pointed to the baby monitor on the blanket.

Nic laughed.

“What did you think we did with her?” Roman asked his daughter putting a drink in front of her. He handed Ella hers and sat next to her. They immediately held hands.

“Well I though maybe you might have forgotten you had her in the confusion.”

Ella shook her head and Roman laughed.

“No chance, you should be around when she starts screaming.” He told her.

“What is going on with you two?” she asked eventually.

Roman and Ella looked at each other.

“Nothing.” They said in unison.

They were saved from further interrogation when Megan joined them.

“Why aren’t you in your swimsuit sweetie?” Ella asked her daughter.

“I wanted to check it was ok.” she murmured.

“Course it is. Come here.” Ella grinned.

She lifted Meggy on to her lap and gave her a cuddle.

“I love you Meggy.” She murmured to her.

“Mummy.” She whispered. “I’m sorry.”

“Hey sweetie, what is this?”

She opened up her hand and showed her the broken chain belonging to one of her necklaces.

“It’s ok. It can be fixed.” Ella murmured stoking Meggy’s hair back from her face.

“But I was playing in your room when I was grounded.” She muttered.

Ella put her arms around her and gave her a big hug.

“It’s ok. When you are grounded you are in the house. Doesn’t matter where. Now go get change my lovely girl and bring some hair bands and your brush down and I’ll do you hair like mine and Sophie’s.” Ella pressed a kiss to her head and took the broken chain out of her hand. Meggy smiled and moved into the house.

“Isn’t that Jennie’s?” Roman asked her.

Ella nodded.

“It can be fixed.” She said. “She came and told me about it. That’s the important thing.”

“Uh huh.” Roman said. “Let me have it.”

Ella sighed and placed the chain in his hand. He looked at the golden cross rubbing his thumb over it.

“I’ll take it in to be fixed.” He told her.

She smiled at him.

“Ok.”

“Ok?” Nic asked. “Ok?” she said again. “Aren’t you supposed to be mad right now? And shouting at him about how his favourite has ruined something precious?” She chuckled. “Hello, have I stepped into the Twilight zone?”

Ella and Roman shared a look.

“Maybe I’ve mellowed?” she suggested.

Roman grinned.

“Nope.” he said. “You just know that Meggy needs us right now.”

“What did she do to earn the grounding?” Nic murmured.

“Ruined your Dad’s picture in the nursery.”

“The painting. I have to admit I was jealous of that.” She murmured.

Ella laughed.

The kids started to move out of the house then and race to the garden. Meggy coming out last. She handed her brush and hair bands over and Ella plaited her hair for her. Giving her another kiss and cuddle before sending her to play.

“What else happened?” Nic asked quickly.

“Nothing.” They said again in unison.

“Ok that’s getting freaky and you are also lying.” Nic fold her arms and looked at them.

“Fine Elliot came after her at school and told her Lilly wasn’t your Dad’s.” Ella muttered. “She’s been having nightmares so we grounded her as punishment and also as protection. She’s become really clingy. This way she knows where we are.”

Nic looked at her feet and thought back to that time and she shuddered.

“Nic.” Roman murmured. “It’s ok.”

She looked up then and took a long sip of her drink.

They heard the kids splashing about in the pool and chuckled.

“Anyway she’s not my favourite.” Roman said after a minute. “I don’t have favourites.”

Ella heard the first cries of Lilly waking up and grinned. She stood up and kissed him before going into the house.

“Of course you don’t.” she said as she walked away.

“Seriously Dad what is with you and El? It’s like.” Nic paused as she thought of an analogy. “It’s like when you first got married.”

She looked up at him and saw his smile.

“We love each other Nic and I think all the bad stuff off the past few years has been dealt with. And we are talking.” He shrugged.

She looked at him.

“It’s good to see.” She murmured. “Although maybe just a tad embarrassing.”

“Uh huh.” He muttered. “Why don’t you call that husband of yours to come over and we’ll make a day of it.” he suggested.

She grinned and nodded.

“Might be good it’s been a while.”

He leaned over and pressed a quick kiss to her cheek.

“You’re still my Princess.” He whispered before going into the house.

He took the stairs two at a time and saw Ella placing Lilly back in the cot.

“Not bringing her down?” he asked.

She shook her head.

“It’s a bit too hot for her out there and maybe a bit noisy with everyone.” She smiled at him.

He held out his hand and she moved over to him. He led her into the bedroom.

“Roman we can’t.” She muttered.

“I’ve just been told we’re acting like we did when we were first married.” He grinned at her. “So I decided to prove them right and sneak you off to bed.”

She shook her head.

“Stop no.” she protested weakly her breathing quickening.

He pulled on the straps of her bikini and the top fell to the floor as he pushed her to the bed.

“Lock the door.” She told him.

He chuckled and moved over to lock the door. When he turned around she was lying naked on the bed. He groaned before pushing his swimmers down his muscular legs and kicking them off. He moved to the bed and lay next to her.

“I love you Ella.” He whispered as his lips met hers.

Chapter 46

Ella hummed while she was cooking breakfast. It was Sunday and she’d let the kids sleep in, not through choice though she thought with a grin and then blushed as she though of why she was late up.

“Morning wife.” Roman called softly.

He moved silently to stand behind her and wrap his arms around her waist. He kissed the back of her neck before resting his chin on her shoulder and looking into the pan.

“Morning.” She replied blushing.

“Oh my god El, are you embarrassed?” he asked with a chuckle.

She moved the pan off the heat and turned in his arms.

“I’m never done that before.” She whispered.

“Neither have I.” He chuckled some more. “I’d like to do it again at some point.”

She blushed even darker.

He placed his hand under her chin and lifted her head so he could look in her eyes.

“Wouldn’t you?” he asked.

She tried to move her head to escape his knowing gaze.

“Yes ok,” she muttered eventually. “I want to do it again.”

He smiled and kissed her.

“I love you.” He grinned. “You are so hot and sexy.”

She laughed.

He leaned down and kissed her very thoroughly until she melted against him and whimpered against his lips. He chuckled as he eased back.

“It’s the same for me.” He said quietly. “I can’t get enough of you.”

She looked up at him.

“I’m so in love with you Ella, it’s like I fell in love with you all over again.” He murmured.

She placed her hands flat on the hard muscles of his chest and pushed.

“This is not getting breakfast done.” She mumbled.

Roman looked at her and laughed.

“That’s very romantic.” He grumbled.

She shook her head.

“You had romance this morning.” She muttered turning back to the cooker.

Roman nodded a grin on his handsome face.

”Many times.” He said quietly making a start on making coffee.

She laughed before glaring at him.

“Behave if you want romance again.” She told him.

Roman let out a laugh.

“I’m sure I can last longer than you.” He told her in return and groaned. “You are so going to test me now aren’t you?”

She turned her head and looked at him over her shoulder.

“Yes.” She said, licking her bottom lip slowly.

He found himself starring at her tongue and the way it caressed her full sensual bottom lip and let out a slow husky moan.

“Ella.” He said softly.

She winked at him and turned back to the cooker.

“Daddy.” Sammy called walking into the kitchen.

“Saved by the kid there.” Ella said quietly earning another chuckle from Roman.

“What’s up kiddo?” he asked picking him up and holding him.

“It’s late.” he mumbled. “Why did we sleep so long?”

“I have no idea Sammy babes, perhaps all that swimming yesterday made you extra sleepy.” Ella told him. “I’ve made special eggs.” She murmured.

Sammy smiled at her.

“I like you happy Mummy.” He said to her.

“So does daddy.” Roman murmured and watched her blush.

“Sit down.” She murmured and served up cheesy scrambled eggs to Sammy on hot buttered toast.

He grinned and sat at the table and started eating.

“Is it good babes?” Roman asked him.

Sammy nodded his mouth full.

“We need an intercom.” She said looking at him.

“Or we could use this?” he murmured and took his phone out of his pocket and made a call.

They turned as they heard a phone ringing upstairs.

“Hello?” Danni murmured sleepily from upstairs.

“Go tell the kids that breakfast is on the table.” He said into the phone and hung up as a stream of swearwords came out the receiver.

“Roman Harris.” Ella said sternly glaring at him.

“Well you won’t let Sophie have a phone.” He murmured.

“Or Georgie.” Sammy added. “Although he doesn’t really want one he wants his own laptop.”

“And what does Meggy want?” Roman asked him and felt Ella’s hand connect with his backside as she spanked him.

“Quit grilling your son.” She muttered.

Roman turned to her and grinned.

“Where is my breakfast?” he asked.

“In the fridge.” She pointed to the large white fridge. “Next to mine.” She added.

“You don’t eat breakfast Mummy.” Sammy pointed out.

“Sometimes I do.” She said and opened the fridge and picked up one of the strawberries. She bit into the sweet juicy fruit and took a small bite. Roman watched fascinated as she chewed slowly and then licked her lips. She looked down at her fingers and licked off a drop of fruit juice before taking another slow small bite.

“Ok.” he said. “Is it like that?” he asked her.

She smiled.

“Just eating breakfast dear.” She murmured with a slow smile.

He chuckled and reached past her for the bacon.

“I’ll cook it.” she told him.

“No it’s ok”

She reached for his hand and took the packet out of it before pressing a quick kiss to his lips.

“Sit.” She instructed. “You cooked last night.”

He smiled and her and pressed a kiss to her lips just as the children started walking into the dining room. Danni following behind.

“Buy Sophie a flipping phone.” She muttered to Roman storming to the table and pouring out coffee. “I was up all night studying.” She moaned draining the cup and refilling it.

“Whoa, I’m back in time and Nic is here.” Roman said.

“Oh yeah, she was staying with Miles when she did her HSC.” El pointed out to him.

Roman looked over at her sinking into a seat.

“Yeah, but she used to visit me and they let her stay a whole half hour sometimes.” Roman pouted.

Ella laughed and waved the spatula at him in admonishment.

“Scrambled eggs.” Meggy said with a grin.

“That’s right sweetie.” She told her. “I think I might go shopping today.”

“Am I getting a phone?” Sophie asked quickly sitting at the table. “Can I have museli?” she asked looking at the food.

“Nope.” Ella told her.

“To which bit?” she said looking up.

“Both. We feed you healthy food and it won’t hurt you to eat the eggs. I can do you unbuttered toast if you want?” Ella murmured.

Sophie nodded pouring out a small beaker of juice. She moved over to the fridge and lifted out a bottle of fizzy mineral water and went to add that to the juice. Roman looked over at Ella and raised his eyebrows questioningly.

Ella smiled.

“Here you are Sophie.” she murmured handing the girl her unbuttered toast.

“Thanks.” She said and put it on her plate.

Roman watched as she spooned only a little of the scrambled eggs on and caught Danni looking too.

“Sophie.” Ella said.

“Well I might not like then.” She explained.

“I’ll make you eat chocolate cake.” She murmured.

Sophie looked up and nodded before spooning more eggs on to her plate.

“Thank you Sophie.”

“What’s going on?” Roman asked her.

“You have to be slim to ride horses.” Sophie muttered. “I just don’t want to be fat.”

“Like I said sweetie, you start going on about diets and losing weight and I won’t let you go riding anymore. You are perfect size and you need to eats lots because you are growing.” Ella murmured going over to her and giving her a kiss.

Sophie nodded.

“Now then Georgie, would you like some of Daddy’s bacon?” she asked her son.

He nodded and picked up his toast taking a bite.

“It’s those girls at school isn’t it?” Georgie muttered. “Why do you let them upset you?” he asked shrugging. “I know you are my sister and everything but you are really cute.”

Sophie looked over at him a comical expression on her face.

“You called me cute?” she asked.

Georgie nodded.

“Yeah, you look like Mum and well she’s beautiful so you had to be cute.” He said logically he turned and looked at Meggy. “You too squirt.” He added.

Ella grinned at them.

“See Sophie.” she murmured.

She leaned forward and put some bacon on Georgie’s plate before planting a kiss on his cheek.

He glared at her for a second before grinning.

“And you are cute too Danni.” He said frowning. “Brett was asking if you had a boyfriend the other day.” He said.

“Ha!” Danni muttered. “He had his chance. I’m waiting for someone to grow up and realise I’m the girl of his dreams.” She told the table.

Roman caught Ella’s eyes and saw her smile and he grinned.

“Where is my breakfast woman?” he mock growled at her.

She laughed before putting a plate in front of him.

“Now Meggy are you ok this morning?” Ella asked her.

She looked up at her and nodded.

“I had a scary dream.” She said eventually.

“Again?” Ella grinned and gave her a quick hug.

She nodded.

“Well I think we are going to have to go talk to someone about the scary dreams.” Ella said to her.

“Can’t I talk to you about them?” she asked with a pout.

“No chance I don’t scary dreams too, your Daddy’s snoring keeps me awake enough.” Ella told her crossing her eyes.

Meggy giggled.

“I don’t snore.” Roman growled.

Meggy laughed harder.

“You do too! Like a big bear daddy.” She told him.

“Ok this is way too happy for me this time of the morning. I’m going to go get a shower and dress in black.” Danni said with a grin leaving the table.

Ella grabbed a slice of toast and sat at the table. She caught Roman smiling at her and she smiled back. His special smile.

Chapter 47

Ella smiled as she saw Meggy run towards her. She stepped forward and felt a shadow move in front of her. She gasped and looked up.

“Collecting the brats?” Elliot murmured.

She shook her head.

“Elliot what do you want?” she asked calmly.

“Well I thought I would say a little hello to my friend Meggy.” He murmured.

She looked at him and then over at her daughter seeing that Meggy has stopped and was looking at them. Ella grinned at Meggy and knelt down holding her arms out to her. She looked some more then ran over to her. Ella picked her up and pressed a kiss to her cheek.

“Meggy you know Elliot don’t you.” She murmured to her. “I was just telling him not to tell you any more fibs otherwise Daddy would have a word with him.”

“I don’t like you.” Meggy said quickly.

Elliot laughed.

“Well that’s ok.” he said. “Lots of people don’t like me.”

He turned and looked at Ella his eyes cold and dark and once upon a time she would have been frightened of him.

“I will get Hardcore back you know.” He promised and looked at Meggy. “By what ever means necessary.”

“Hear that Roman?” Ella asked looking over Elliot’s shoulder.

“Oh you expect me to fall for that one again.” Elliot sneered.

“I don’t know Elliot, were you stupid enough to fall for it the first time?” Roman asked.

Elliot spun round and faced him.

“Well well Hardcore…” Elliot murmured.

“Elliot you should be running.” Roman murmured. “Not planning anything else. Do you think I will forgive you?” He kept his tone calm knowing that Meggy was there.

“Ah but this is fun. I know you won’t do anything with the kid around.” Elliot shot back.

“Meggy.” Roman murmured.

“Get him Daddy he’s the scary one that told me fibs.” Meggy said quickly. “I don’t like him.”

Roman laughed.

“Well Elliot are you still here?” Roman asked him.

Elliot shook his head.

“In front of all these kids?” he asked looking round the playground. “I dare you.”

Roman looked at Ella and saw the look in her eyes. He smiled and she gave him a small hesitant smile in return. Nodding he turned quickly and put his arm around Elliot’s shoulders and turned the other man around in a fluid movement. Before Elliot could say anything or protest he felt the sharp pain of Roman’s fist connecting with a spot near his kidneys. The friendly looking arm around the shoulders turned into a headlock and Roman leaned in close to him.

“Run Elliot. As far and as fast as you can. The police are on their way. Stay away from us. Final warning.” He added the last and released the other man watching him stagger.

“Hardcore.” He tried gasping out a last threat but Roman moved over to Ella and turned his back on the other man. They heard the sound of police sirens in the distance growing closer. Without turning Roman knew that Elliot had gone. Ella reached out to him and he took her hand in his.

“Ok?” he asked them.

Meggy nodded.

“Love you.” Ella murmured and he felt his heart leap in his chest.

They moved to the gates and waited for the others to come out. Ella glanced at her watch and realised the entire confrontation had only taken 5 minutes. She sighed and felt Roman put his arm around her and step closer. She could feel his warmth and grinned up at him.

“Hey Girlie.” Jacko said stepping the other side of them.

“Did you do it?” Hardcore asked.

“Yeah we got his vehicle.” Jacko muttered. “Pete is following him now. How did you know?”

“That he would come back here?” Ella asked. “Because he likes to torture us. And that is enough Elliot talk isn’t it my Meggy Girl?” she asked her daughter.

Roman held up his arms and took Meggy from her sitting her on his hip before putting his arm back around Ella.

“Daddy made the and man go away.” Meggy told Jacko.

The other man nodded.

“He’s good like that.” Jacko grinned.

“Hey!” Sammy called running over to them. ”What’s going on?”

Jacko looked at Ella and saw her grinning.

“They get their brains from you don’t they?” he asked her.

She nodded.

“But hey they might be lucky and get cooking skills from him.”

“Ok I’m right here, you two.” Roman said watching Ella laugh.

She knelt down and looked into Sammy’s eyes.

“Babes we just wanted to see if the bad man came back and pick you up from school. Daddy and I were talking a walk so we came together.” She explained.

“Where is Lilly?” he asked her.

“With Nanny Rene.” She said and bit her lip to stop herself telling him that Granddad George was home for a visit. Her Dad had come home for a visit and to see the baby.

“Ok.” he said. “Can I come home with Jacko?” he asked in the next breath.

She shook her head.

“No, but Jacko can come home and have tea with us.” She corrected him.

Roman chuckled.

“Hey, I might have already had my tea.” Jacko muttered.

“But Jacko, Mummy has been cooking and she’s made cakes.” Sammy told him quickly. “She’s been really happy.”

“Really?” Jacko asked looked at Ella with a sly grin. “I wonder why that is?” he added watching her blush.

“Well I don’t know.” Sammy said frowning as he thought about it.” But they do kiss a lot more.”

Ella looked at Roman and saw him trying to hide his smirk.

“Ok that is enough.” She told Jacko sternly.

He laughed and caught Roman shake his head in warning, only it came too late as he felt Ella poke him in the ribs.

“Jacko.” She muttered.

“Hey.” He said rubbing his side.

He heard Roman laughing and grinned.

“You met your match.” He told him.

“Tell me about it.” Roman said pulling Ella back against him.

She grinned and put her arm around him before pressing a kiss to his lips.

They turned then as they saw Georgie and finally Sophie coming over to them.

“Are we picking Danni up?” Sammy asked.

Ella shook her head.

“She’s at the library studying.” She explained to them. “Come on lets get in the car.” She smiled and felt Roman stroking her back as they moved off.

“Come on Jacko.” Sammy called out.

Jacko grinned and ran over to his car parked a little way up from them.

They drove over to the house and pulled up outside parking the car in the normal spot. She climbed out and opened the back door letting out everyone else. Roman grinned at her from the other side of the car and she smiled back before watching him walk around the car and tak hold of her hand.

“Ok?” he asked her.

She nodded.

“Yes.” She confirmed.

He led her to the house and opened the door letting the kids run in after them.

“Kids.” He began.

“We know, homework.” Meggy groaned.

“Actually no.” Ella said and walked into the lounge.

She smiled as she saw them all grind to a halt just inside the lounge.

“Granddad.” Sammy cried out.

“Hey Sammy.” George murmured and came over and picked him up. “How are my grandkids?” he asked them all and ended up in the middle of a group hug.

Ella laughed and then felt Roman tugging on her hand.

She turned looking up at him.

“No!” she hissed quickly out the side of her mouth.

“Five minutes.” He promised luring her into the study.

She giggled and fell into his arms as he kissed her.

He looked deep into her eyes and kissed her again guiding her over to the sofa. They fell onto it laughing.

“You are wicked.” She moaned against his lips.

He chuckled.

“You are loving it.” he said to her. “All this kinky sex we are having.”

She glared at him.

“It wasn’t my idea to have sex on the beach earlier.” She moaned.

“No that was me. I have a thing for those Sand dunes.” He told her kissing her.

“I have noticed and if it carried on we’ll end up getting arrested.” She muttered.

He kissed her.

“But what a way to get arrested.” He grinned.

She shook her head and pushed at him.

“El?” he asked.

“If I wanted to end up in handcuffs trust me it wouldn’t be that way.” She told him moving off the sofa and stood up, straightening her clothes.

He let out a shout of laughter and watched as she blushed all over again.

“Roman Harris.” She groaned.

He stood and pulled her to him kissing her again.

“How are you my wife?” he whispered.

“I’m glad you didn’t kill him.” she siad softly. “But I did see the punch.”

He nodded.

“Well it was only a little one. “ he justified.

“And the headlock?” she asked looking into his eyes.

He grinned.

“That was a hug.” He explained with a sardonic grin.

She nodded.

“Interesting hugging technique there.” She commented.

He kissed her before answering.

“Well he’s not as soft and cuddly as you.”

“Uh huh.” She said quietly.

“But are you ok?” he asked again, “Only I saw the look on your face Ella and I don’t want you to be afraid ok.”

She looked up at him pressing her hand on the spot where his heart was beating and smiled.

“I am ok my hero husband and I love you.”

He smiled and pulled her closer to him.

“I don’t know what I would do if I lost you again.” He admitted.

She smiled up at him.

“I’m always here,” she told him.

He pressed his hand on tops of hers and kissed her before they broke apart and moved into the lounge where everyone was.

“Ok?” Jacko asked.

Ella nodded.

“Does everyone have a drink?” she asked them walking over to look in at Lilly.

She smiled as she saw her daughter sleeping.

“Tempted to wake her up and see how she likes it?” Roman asked her.

She nodded.

“She’s beautiful.” George told her. “Miracle baby.”

“Daddy.” Ella murmured.

He walked over to her and put his arms around her.

“I missed you Princess.” He said again and put his arm around her.

She grinned and pressed a kiss to his cheek.

“Now drinks?” she asked.

“I could do with a refill Darl.” Irene murmured.

Ella nodded and she and Roman moved into the kitchen getting more drinks and making a start on food.

“BBQ?” he asked.

She raised an eyebrow.

“Well we could get everyone round?” she suggested.

He grinned.

“Pool party.” Sammy suggested from behind them.

“Is that you saying you want to go swimming Babes?” Ella turned and asked him.

He nodded.

“Go on then see if anyone else wants to go.” She told him, having the rule that they couldn’t go in the pool alone.

He nodded and ran back to the others and after a moment of discussion they all moved up the stairs to get changed.

“Well?” he asked.

“Up to you Chef.” She murmured.

He grinned and pulled out his phone and started making a few calls.

“I’ll get started on the food.” She grinned back.

“Want a hand Darl?” Irene asked.

She smiled.

“Take this coffee to Jacko before he starts moaning.” She said.

“Hey!” she heard Jacko call out.

She chuckled gathering the ingredients together for the salad platter.

Roman came over to her and put his arms around her waist.

“Everyone is coming.” He grinned. “I’ve got Miles getting some bits for us.”

Ella leant back against him wrapped in his arms.

“I love you.” She said suddenly.

He smiled and leaned down and kissed her.

“Put her down.” Jacko groaned.

Roman laughed.

“When are we going to get you married off?” he asked Jacko.

“I have a date in mind.” Jacko murmured.

“The 12th of never?” Ella laughed as Jacko nodded.

Chapter 48

Roman sighed, easing into the crisp cotton sheets and adjusting the pillows behind his head.

“Are you tired?” she asked him softly.

“Are you about to come on to me?” he grinned.

“No I was just asking.” She murmured with a chuckle pulling the covers tighter over her.

“Well I’m sure I can find some energy from somewhere.” He grinned.

She laughed.

“Not on my account. Go to sleep.”

“Too late, I think you woke it up.” He murmured softly rolling over to her.

“Go to sleep.” She said again with a giggle.

He laughed before moving over in the bed and pulling her into his arms.

“What are you and the boys planning?” she asked him. “Sorry forget I asked; Elliot free zone.” She added.

He grinned and leaned forward to kiss her.

“We are going to keep an eye on him and when he makes a move we will turn him into the police.” He said softly. “OK?” he asked.

She nodded.

He wrapped his arms around her and pulled her close snuggling her in his arms before reaching out to switch of her light.

She reached out quickly and caught hold of his hand,

“Leave it on please.” She murmured.

He sighed before putting his arm back round her and pressing a kiss to the back of her head.

“Ok” he whispered to her his breath ruffling her hair.

“Sorry.” She told him.

“El, it’s ok. Don’t apologise, I’m only sad because I don’t like things that hurt you, ok.” he murmured. “And anyway I like the light on it means I can watch over you properly.”

She chuckled.

“I have kind of got used to that.” She told him.

“I’m glad. It means you are finally accepting that I am the alpha male.”

“Oh I accepted that a long time ago I just liked it when you got ticked off and felt the need to demonstrate.” She said quickly, feeling him shake with laughter.

“I love you.” He told her.

She turned in his arms.

“Perhaps you would like to show me?” she suggested.

He smiled at her before leaning down to kiss her lips.

“Maybe I would.” He said softly against her lips.

He felt her hands start to caress him in all the places he adored and his body responded urgently. He eased away slightly looking deep into her blue eyes, seeing how her lips were already ever so slightly swollen from his kisses. She was beautiful and she was his, totally his, his wife and his lover. He couldn’t ever remember feeling so much passion or so much love like he felt right now at this moment.

She looked into his eyes and sensing something she placed her hand over where his heart beat frantically.

“I’m always right here. I’ll never ever leave your heart.” she promised.

“But will you leave my life?” he asked, not knowing where the question came from.

She gasped and saw an uncertain look had come into his eyes.

“Where did this come from?” she asked puzzled.

He shrugged.

“Just a feeling. I was thinking how much I loved you and then that came into my head.”

She pulled away from him and turned her back.

“El?” he murmured.

“We haven’t talked about .” she stopped uncertain how to phrase the next part.

“We haven’t talked about a lot of things.” He said quietly.

He moved in the bed and pulled her to lie with him in his arms.

“Lets focus on here and now first.” He told her. “We’ll find a way to deal with everything.” He promised feeling scared that he was going to lose her suddenly.

“Ok.” she agreed moving against him.

He pulled her as close to him as possible and began to kiss her neck.

“Are you starting something again?” she whispered in the dark.

He chuckled.

“I need you.” He told her after a pause of a couple of heartbeats.

She sighed turning once more in his embrace her lips meeting his frantically. His hands were suddenly everywhere. All the places he knew that drove her wild and all the places he loved to touch knowing she would moan with pleasure. He parted her legs and sank between them needing her too much to wait as he eased himself into her body.

“Oh yes.” She moaned against his lips as he kissed her taking her cries of pleasure into himself.

“Ella I love you.” he gasped.

She looked into his eyes melting with pleasure under him.

He felt her hands on him and sighed.

“Ella.” He moaned softly.

She kissed him feeling him quiver as he moved. She knew he was near his peak and she encouraged him pressing herself against him, touching him, loving him, their eyes met and he cried her name huskily as he spilled himself inside her.

“Sorry.” He gasped out.

“Sh, it’s ok.” she murmured stroking his face before putting her arms tight around him.

He rolled them over keeping her wrapped in his arms.

She rested her head on his shoulder and closed her eyes.

“I love you Roman.” She told him in the quiet of the room.

“Ella.” He said softly.

She lifted her head and looked at him.

“I love you.” He said.

She smiled at him as though she accepted that was what he had intended to say before laying back down and pressing herself against his heart.

Chapter 49

Ella sighed as she re-read the ingredients.

“What’s up?” Roman murmured coming over to her in the supermarket.

“I can’t decide if Meggy will eat this.” She muttered handing him the container.

“She does.” He murmured with a nod.

“I’m so crap at this parenting thing.” She muttered and walked away.

“Ella.” He called out.

She slowed and turned towards him.

“Come here.” He muttered.

She looked at the floor and rubbed her foot at a spot on the tiles before walking over to him.

“Where did that come from?” he asked taking hold of her hand.

“Oh the usual.” She shrugged. “I can’t remember what she likes. And I forgot to pick Danni up yesterday. Georgie wants to start playing footie and Sophie is scaring me about this weight business.” She told him in a rush.

He gave her hand a squeeze and leaned down to kiss her.

“Georgie is too young to play footie but I’ll have a word with Aden and Geoff and see if either of them can spend some time with him.” Roman murmured.

She looked at him.

“What good will that do?” she muttered.

“They both played.” He said with a grin.

“You’re his father.” She pulled at her hand but he refused to let go.

“I didn’t play.” Roman said softly. “Haven’t a clue about the game.”

“Probably too busy cooking.” She sneered finally getting her hand free and folding her arms across her chest.

“As a matter of fact yes.” He said with a smile.

She looked over in the trolley feeling like an utter bitch.

“El.” He said quietly.

She finally looked up at him.

“I’m worried about Sophie too.” He said. “Until the other week I didn’t even notice that she was being funny about food. What sort of father does that make me?”

Ella sighed and looked down at Lily in the child seat on the trolley.

“Maybe we’ll get it right with this one.” She muttered.

“Giving up on Sammy?” he grinned.

“Might as well the damage is already done.” She told him.

He grinned and held out his hand.

She looked at it for a moment before putting her hand in his. He rubbed his thumb over her finger where the eternity ring was, feeling the bump of the stones in the smooth band.

“Perhaps you are feeling a little hormonal.” He suggested. “Because you are an incredible Mum.”

She glared at him for a second before sighing and letting him pull her towards him. He put his arm around her and leaned forward to kiss her holding her tight against his body.

She relaxed against him before sighing against his lips.

“Shopping.” She murmured.

He smiled down at her.

“Go on then.” He grumbled releasing her.

She laughed and the sound of her laughter felt like bubbles drifting across his skin.

“So what else does Meggy want?” he asked her.

El shrugged before moving along the aisle and picking up the tricolour pasta Meggy liked. She added a few more bits before going down the next aisle. Roman pushed the trolley beside her, thinking how normal this was and how special at the same time. He smiled sadly as he saw her reach for laundry detergent and put it in the front of the trolley next to other cleaning stuff.

She caught his look and moved over to put her arm around him.

“See I can buy detergent without punching the manager and getting arrested.” She said softly.

He turned his head to say something and she kissed him.

“Love you.” She said quietly.

“El.” He whispered.

She eased back slightly and smiled at him.

“Have we got everything?” she asked.

He looked into the trolley for a long minute before nodding.

“Just the sweets.” He said gruffly.

She nodded.

“And of course my chocolate.” She added as they moved down the next aisle.

“And maybe some more chocolate mousse.”

She chuckled.

“Liked that did you?” she asked him.

He grinned even as a blush travelled across his high cheekbones.

“You know very well I enjoyed that.” He murmured. “Not as much as you did though.”

She nodded and reached into the chiller and picked up chocolate mousse. He chuckled and they moved slowly down the aisle putting in treats for the children before heading for the tills.

“I’ve got this.” He told her.

Ella smiled at him and nodded, moving out of the shop with Lily in her arms. She headed for a bench and sat in the shade looking at her daughter.

“Well well.” Elliot said approaching her seeming from out of nowhere.

“What do you want Elliot?” Ella asked calmly.

“You wouldn’t understand if I told you Beth, you think he’s so wonderful.” Elliot muttered.

She shook her head.

“I know him Elliot, more than you think. He’s not this evil man you have in your head.”

He sat next to her.

“I liked you Beth but you are going to have to be destroyed like him. “ he said to her.

“So you’d take both parents away? Doesn’t sound very fair. What would your brother say?”

He swore before glaring at her.

“I met him you know. When we were out in Afghanistan. Elliot, they were soldiers and stuff happens in war. You’d know that if you weren’t such a coward.”

Elliot roared out his frustration and found he was clenching his hands.

“What would you call someone who kidnaps women and children? You want Roman then deal with him one on one.” She stood up and made to move away.

“Beth.” He called out.

She turned.

“My name is Ella.” She told him.

“You’ll always be my Beth.” He murmured. “My special Beth.”

Ella shook her head before looking at him.

“If I was special then you wouldn’t have hit me. You were using me to get at him. Hiding behind a woman.”

Elliot stood them and stormed over to her, he raised his hand to strike her when the baby began to cry in her arms.

“See Elliot you are a coward.” She told him trying to soothe the baby.

“Ella.” Roman called running over to her.

“It’s ok.” she told him. “Elliot was leaving.”

Roman reached her by then and stood one arm around her.

“Elliot.” Roman murmured.

“We should get this over and done with.” Elliot sneered at him. “As your wife was saying. One on one.”

Roman looked at Ella and gave her a small smile before casting his eyes back at Elliot.

“Maybe.” Roman murmured and steered Ella and the baby away.

“Tell me Hardcore are you enjoying my leavings?” Elliot shouted at him. “Does she do that thing with her tongue?” he taunted.

Roman leaned down and pressed a kiss to the top of her head as he carried on walking.

“Roman.” She murmured.

“Keep walking.” Roman told her. “He wants a reaction and we know nothing happened.” He added softly. “And anyway if you really had done that thing with your tongue then he would be shouting about it he’d be thanking his lucky stars that he’d made love with you.”

Ella stopped and looked up at him.

“What thing with my tongue?” she asked innocently.

He leaned down and whispered into her ear.

“Oh that.” She muttered lowering her head and blushing. “But that isn’t anything special.”

Roman grinned.

“Then you won’t mind demonstrating when we get home.”

She looked up and glared at him.

“You!” she groaned before laughing.

“Come on.” He ordered. “I’ve got the shopping in the car and we need to get it home before collecting the children.”

She moved to the back of the car and put Lily in the car seat strapping her daughter in securely before stroking her baby’s cheek.

“She’s as beautiful as you.” Roman said gently.

Ella spun around and looked into his eyes.

“I love you Ella.” He added stroking her cheek just like she had done with Lily.

She gasped when his lips met hers melting against him. In an instant she fell in love with him again and sighed.

“All this bad stuff.” She groaned.

Roman eased back and looked into her eyes, feeling his heart start to pound.

“It took us away from each other.” she told him. “And yet without Elliot we wouldn’t have found each other again not like this.”

Roman nodded his understanding.

“It’s always special with you El but this is something more. It’s magical.”

She smiled at his choice of words.

“Magical huh?” she asked him.

He nodded.

“Talking, making love, being together.” He grinned. “I’m rather partial to the making love bit.”

She giggled.

“And of course there is that.” He pointed out. “I’ve never known you to be this happy Ella and well, it just makes me smile.”

She looked up and saw him smirking.

“Lets get home Mister.” She grumbled.

He reached over and opened her door for her waiting until she was inside before closing the door and moving around the car to get behind the wheel. He started the car and drove them home.

Archived