Elliot's Return

Guest TelephotoMarigold

Chapter 20

Ella stood back and surveyed the nursery they had set up for Nic in the upstairs suite of rooms. She touched the pink frills on the dresses and double-checked the blankets and teddy bear.

Roman watched her from the doorway.

“What are we having?” he murmured.

She turned to him.

“A girl.” She grinned.

“Are you certain?” he asked. “Because I do have my normal bet with Miles and this time I would like to win.”

She smiled at him.

He held out his hand.

“Time to stop fussing and sit down.” He instructed.

She moved over to him.

“Do you think it’s enough?” she asked him.

He nodded.

“She will think it is wonderful.” He told her.

She looked at him and moved into his arms.

“Not over compensating?” she asked.

“Maybe a little. But we are talking about Nic she will love it all.” He said holding her tightly.

She moved with him down the stairs to their bedroom.

“I’m going to have a lie down.” She told him.

He smiled at her and pressed a kiss to her lips before moving down the stairs and into the lounge.

“When does Mummy get her with the new baby?” Angel asked him.

“Soon.” He promised and moved into the kitchen,

He poured himself a coffee and sat on the sofa after putting on a dvd for them to watch. Sammy crawled into his lap and he gave his son a quick kiss.

“What’s the matter?” he asked him.

“Nothing.” He sighed. “Just tired.”

“Ok Samson.” He murmured softly.

“My throat hurts.” Sammy told him finally.

“I think you might be feeling a little poorly like Meggy. Maybe we should all have some ice cream?” he asked them.

Angel nodded at him.

He stood up and went into the kitchen pulling out cartons of ice cream for all off them and put portions into bowls.

“Come and get it.” he called and they moved into the kitchen.

“Hey where’s mine?” Danni called out walking down the stairs.

“What flavour?” he asked grinning.

“All of them.” she grinned and watched as he did her a big bowl.

She stirred her spoon round the bowl.

“Is El all right?” she asked softly out of hearing of the others. “Only she’s crying.”

Roman swore and took the stairs two at a time racing up them. He went into the bedroom and found Ella curled up on the bed crying.

“Hey.” Roman called to her.

She looked at him.

“S..s..sorry.” she sobbed.

“What is it?” he asked.

He lay behind her and pulled her into his arms, he stroked her hair away from her face and felt her shake in his arms,

“I don’t know.” She moaned. “I just feel so sad.” She tried to find the words.

“Ok.” he said and cradled her for a long moment.

He felt her sobs subside and she turned in his arms. He kissed her.

“I guess I can’t tell you that you are beautiful right now or you’ll hit me.” He murmured.

She nodded.

“I don’t know what’s wrong I just felt so sad. “ she tried again to explain.

“How about I run you a nice bath and you have a relaxing soak.” He suggested.

She nodded.

He moved off the bed and into the en suite running a bath and adding some of her favourite bath stuff. He lit a load of candles and turned to switch out the light. She moved silently into the room and tested the water before climbing in. He knelt by the bathtub and slowly reached for the flannel and lathered up the soap. He began to wash her all over finishing with a shoulder rub feeling her relax in the water. He placed a kiss on her lips before leaving her to enjoy the soak.

He went down the stairs at a more sedate pace and found Danni in the kitchen tidying up.

“You do not need to keep doing that.” He told her.

“Makes me feel better.” She muttered. “Is El ok?”

He nodded.

“Hormones.” He told her.

She nodded.

“Well time to hit the books again.” She said and moved up the stairs. She paused by their door before knocking briefly and entering the room. She found El seated in front of the dressing table mirror coming out her hair.

“Hey.” She greeted.

“Hello.” El said warily.

“Is it safe?” she asked. “Only someone just told me to be on the lookout for rogue hormones.”

Ella smiled.

“Yes it is.”

Danni moved round the bed and took the comb from her and began working out the tangles.

“So anything you want to tell me?” Ella asked Danni.

“Nothing.”

“Ok.” Ella grinned and their eyes met in the reflection in the glass in front of them.

“Ok but you have to swear that you will not tell a living soul.” Danni said finally. “I have a crush on someone.”

Ella smiled.

“Would this have anything to do with my handsome son coming back?” she asked.

“You know way too much Ella.” Danni muttered lowering her head so her hair fell across her face.

“What happened with Brett?” she asked her.

“I couldn’t do the play so Brett hooked up with Annette Chapman.” Danni said. “Then we sort of fell out totally.”

Ella nodded.

“So you and Mike.” She said.

“Don’t you dare even say our names like that. This is so embarrassing.”

Ella smiled at her and patted the chair beside her, moving over slightly. She put her arm around her shoulders. Danni leaned into her.

“I’ve missed you Mum.” She said softly.

“I’m sorry everything got so messed up.” She told her.

“You need to go find Gabriel.” Danni told her.

“Where did that come from?” El found herself asking after a moment.

“Well we lost you and Gabriel doesn’t even know how lucky she is to have a mum like you.” Danni told her.

Ella swallowed.

“Danni you are a wonderful daughter.” She said pressing a kiss to her head. “And I’m sure my husband warned you about hormones. Are you trying to get me to cry again?”

Danni grinned.

“Of course not.” She said. “Not when you know all my secrets before I do!”

Ella smiled.

“Come on lets go downstairs. My husband’s granddaughter is about to arrive any minute.” She said.

Danni looked at her a smile on her lips.

“Way to make yourself sound younger.” She congratulated her.

“I know.” El grinned.

They went downstairs and joined the waiting crowd.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 21

“I want you to stay away from him.” Ella shouted.

“Mum.” Mike began.

“I don’t care that you are in the army. I mean it. Back off.” She hissed.

Roman heard the exchange from outside and began to run indoors. He ushered the children to their room an instructed them to keep the door shut before he made his way into the study.

“What is going on?” he asked quickly.

Ella was standing by a broken window her hand wrapped in a towel. Roman walked over to her quickly to take a look at her hand but she pulled away.

“How the hell could you let him get involved?” she asked bitterly.

“Ella let me look at your hand.” He told her.

She shook her head.

“Not until he promises to stay away from Elliot.” she said holding her hand away from them.

Mike shook his head.

“I can’t. I’ve spent the last two weeks building up the relationship. I intend to find out what he is planning.” He told her.

Roman reached out and she slapped at his outstretched hand.

“No.” she muttered pulling away.

“Ella I need to see to your hand.” He said again.

“She just put it through the glass.” Mike said feeling shock.

“Stay away from me. How could you involve my son in this? Isn’t it bad enough that this is your past again?” she hissed hysterically.

“Mike can take care of himself.” Roman insisted ignoring the taunt. “Otherwise they would have let him into the SAS.” He said reasonably.

Mike took a step towards her as she paled.

“The SAS?” she asked.

“Mum I was going to tell you.” Mike said quickly.

“When? When was I going to find out? Maybe when I get a letter from your commanding officer when you get killed for doing something stupid.” She turned to the bookshelf beside her and picked up a statuette and threw it at him.

He moved to one side and it smashed harmlessly against the wall behind his head.

“Ella this isn’t good for the baby.” Roman said peacefully.

“I hate this baby and I hate you and I never want to see you again. You and your stupid SAS. What has it ever bought me except pain? I want a divorce” She screamed. “And as for you I spend all those years bringing you up and this is how you repay me?” she screamed at Mike. “Get away from me the pair of you. If you want to play games with Elliot then you go right ahead. I’m done.”

She moved past them and out of the front door grabbing her keys on the way out.

“Well that went slightly better than I expected.” Mike grinned.

Roman folded his arms across his chest.

“Well.” He began. “I think I’m about to be divorced and you thought it went better that you expected.” He finished.

“You did sort of let the cat out of the bag there.” Mike chuckled.

“I expected someone in the SAS to be brave enough to tell her.”

“It’s who dares wins not who dares gets to tell my mother.” He punned and moved over to the window. “She’s sitting in her car. I think you should go to her.”

Roman shook his head.

“No she needs to come to me.” He muttered emphatically and stalked out of the room.

Mike pulled out the phone book and looked through it for someone to repair the window.

He saw her slowly starting the car and drive away and moved into the kitchen where Roman had started cooking.

“So she storms off and you decide to cook something.” He commented.

Roman looked at him.

“It wasn’t the storming off part it was what she said.” he muttered pulling out a knife and started chopping vegetables. “She knows what that does to me. We talked about it a few weeks ago. I’m not going after her.”

“She didn’t mean it.” Mike said peaceably.

“Mike your mother meant it.” he said and put the food on to cook. He moved through the kitchen and out onto the back veranda looking at the view out the back.

Ella pulled up outside Elliot’s house and eased out of the car. She looked at the door and saw it slowly open.

“Beth.” He called.

She shook her head.

“It’s Ella.” She denied.

He stepped back and she moved into the house.

“What do I owe you the honour of this visit?” he said quickly.

“Get me a drink Elliot.” she instructed.

He moved into the kitchen and pulled out a couple cans of beer. She looked at it and accepted the cool drink, popping the top and taking a drink.

“Leave my family alone Elliot.” she told him.

“And why would I do that?” he grinned. “It’s such fun watching Hardcore flailing about not knowing when I’m going to do next.”

She looked at him before sitting down over on the sofa. He followed the movement and sat opposite her.

“My family.” She said. “I didn’t say anything about him. I have children and you are threatening them.”

He threw back his head and let out a bark of laughter.

“IS this about little Michael?” he asked.

She shook her head.

“No. Michael has made his bed he can lie in it. I have other kids and this little game you are playing is hurting them. I won’t stand for it anymore.” She told him.

“And what do you think you are going to do?” he sneered.

“I’m going to kill you if you don’t stay away from us.” She told him calmly.

“You?” he muttered unbelievingly.

She nodded.

“Me. Little old me. Leave Summer Bay or else.” She said quietly.

He stood and approached her watching as she moved up form the sofa.

“You think you can come here and take me on little woman?” he jeered.

She stood her ground looking into his cold dark eyes.

Elliot deliberately lifted his hand to hit her open handed and she deftly stepped to one side and blocked the blow.

“Well well.” He jeered. “Seems like Hardcore had been teaching you a few tricks.”

She shook her head.

“I know who I am now Elliot and you won’t hit me again. You won’t get the chance to hurt my family.” She told him in the same soft calm tone.

He stepped back and looked into her eyes.

“I can kill you any time I like.” He said quickly.

She shook her head.

“You aren’t a killer Elliot.” she denied. “But I am.” She added in a cold tone of voice.

He looked up at that and tried to read her face.

“I will kill to protect my family. I’ve done it before and I will do it again.” She explained.

“I don’t believe you.” He shook his head.

She turned and put the can of beer down and moved to the door.

“I will to protect my family. You should ask around town what happened to Gardy.” She said and moved out of the door.

She went down the path and into her car and started the engine. She made it part way home before the shakes over took her and she had to pull over until it stopped.

Roman looked up when he saw her come through the door. He waited with the children and watched what she did.

Ella looked at him and moved toward him.

He opened his arms and she ran into them.

“Feel better?” he asked.

She nodded.

“I went to see him.” she confessed and felt his arms tighten automatically.

He steered her into the kitchen.

“Are you out of your mind?” he said keeping his tone neutral despite the urge to shout. A little.

“I am superwoman remember. I can’t let my fear cripple me.” She murmured.

“Is that what it has been doing?” he asked.

She nodded.

He pulled her close and kissed the top of her head.

“Thank you.” She murmured.

“For what?” he grinned as he asked.

“Letting me get mad.”

He chuckled.

“I’ve been waiting for it.” he pointed out.

She nodded.

“Provoking me and letting me find out what Mike was up to?”

“Maybe I needed to do a little prodding.” He said.

She clung to him.

“And the SAS bit?” she asked.

“Icing on the cake.” He murmured softly. “So when did you know that was what I was planning?”

She sighed.

“I looked at you when you told me about the SAS bit and you weren’t quick enough at hiding a smile.” She looked up into his eyes. “The rest of the time I just thought you were being annoying.”

He chuckled softly.

“Pete and Jacko were with you.” He pointed out.

She nodded.

“I saw them when I went into Elliot’s house.” She confirmed. “Gave me an extra boost.”

“About what you said?” he said pulling back and looking at her.

She smiled.

“I may have meant a little bit of it.” she murmured moving into the lounge.

“Let me look at your hand.” He instructed.

“I forgot.” She murmured and held it out to him.

He unwrapped the small towel she had tied around her hand and looked at the cut.

“You have some glass in it.” he told her.

“Go on then show me your medical skills.” She said.

He picked her up and sat her on the top.

“Impressive.” She smiled.

“You do realise I am counting the weeks until we can make love again.” He whispered.

She nodded.

“So am I.”

He let out a laugh before kissing her.

Opening the cupboard he pulled out the first aid box and began to see to her hand. It took a couple of moments to find the shard of glass and pull it out before he washed it and added antiseptic. He had to use some of those butterfly grips before wrapping a bandage around it when he finished.

“Going to kiss it better?” she asked.

He stepped closed to her and put his arms around her.

“I love you.” She whispered against his lips.

He grinned and kissed her.

Chapter 22

Roman woke up and stretched. He saw the other side of the bed empty and for a moment panic set in before he remembered and he grinned. He rolled over and saw a cup of coffee on the bedside cabinet.

“Morning!” Jacko called.

Roman sat up.

“What the…” he muttered.

“I’m your wake up call. The Mrs has gone shopping.” He explained.

“And the kids?” Roman muttered feeling a strange need to pull up the covers across his chest.

“Gone with her. I’m instructed to take you to the gym for a workout and then the beach.” Jacko explained.

“And why am I being given the day off?” Roman asked puzzled.

“Because the Mrs told me it’s been intense lately and she thinks you could do with a day off besides which she said something about frustration.” Jacko looked at Roman out the corner of his eye. “Anyway I need to talk to you about something.” He added softly.

Roman reached for the coffee before climbing out of bed. He saw Jacko comically covering his eyes and grinned.

“PJ’s?” Jacko asked mockingly.

Roman smiled.

“Kids.” He said in explanation.

“Ah!” Jacko nodded.

He strode into the en suite and too a shower coming out wrapped in a towel.

“Still here?” he asked.

Jacko looked up.

“Guess that is my cue to leave.” He muttered and moved out of the room. Roman frowned at his departing back before draining the contents of the cup and getting dressed. He moved down the stairs and found Jacko on the back veranda.

“What’s going on Jacko?” Roman asked softly.

“I don’t’ know how to tell you this.” He began worriedly. “We thought we were doing you a good thing.”

Roman turned and fetched another coffee, drinking the strong black brew. He moved to sit opposite him.

“Tell me.” He said softly, almost dangerously.

Jacko nodded.

“Pete, James and I got you drunk.” He began.

“Not hard to do.” Roman grinned despite himself. “I have been hitting it hard.”

“You weren’t coping Hardcore.” He said softly. “Still talking about her like she had just gone to the shops and not as we thought dead. It was affecting everyone. Mike came to us, he were a mess.”

Roman nodded.

“Not so crazy considering she is actually still alive.” He pointed out.

Jacko acknowledged that with a nod.

“Well we hatched a plan to help you forget her and move on.” He said his upper lip covered in sweat as he went on with the explanation. He still didn’y know how he got saddled with this job he thought feeling nervous.

“What did you do?” Roman asked his voice like ice.

“We took you to a bar in the city and there were a number of women about.” Jacko said feeling the need to pace. He sat looking at Roman..

“Are you about to tell me I’ve been unfaithful to my wife?” Roman asked coldly.

Jacko half nodded.

Roman stood up and looked at him in disgust.

“What did you do?” he asked bitterly.

Jacko stood too and readied himself for the punch he knew was about to come.

“We got you drunk and pointed out some women who looked a bit like Ella and you went home with one.” Jacko said quickly.

Roman’s fist connected with his jaw and he staggered back. He wasn’t expected the other blow and fell back on the grass behind him.

“Get up.” Roman snarled.

“Only if you promise not to hit me again?” Jacko muttered. He ran his tongue around his mouth and tasted blood. A rogue thought went through his head that the other man didn’t actually need to do any working out.

“No. And you best warn the others.”

Jacko looked up at him.

“Hey.” Jacko said. “We only took you there you did the deed.” He pointed out and wished he hadn’t when he was hauled to his feet and punched again.

“My friends did this to me., Why couldn’t you leave me alone? I was coping. It was only six months.” He growled.

Jacko flinched at the raw anger in his voice and then flinched again when he saw Pete and James striding around the corner.

“Jacko. I see you told him.” Pete muttered.

Roman turned his gaze on them his expression like ice.

“Get out.” He said to them all.

“We can’t. We’re here on Ella’s behalf not just yours.” Pete pointed out.

Roman shook his head.

“Were you helping on her behalf when you let me screw another woman.” He asked bitterly.

Pete looked at him then.

“We know you Roman and you weren’t coping. You were a hair’s breath away from falling apart. Mike caught you reciting poetry on her grave night after night. You barely remembered the kids. Nic looked after them.” he said softly.

Roman shook his head.

“So what?” he asked.

“It was almost as bad as when you lost her the first time back in the day.” James pointed out.

“We loved her too.” Jacko added. “Everyone was hurting not just you.”

“Six months gentlemen. It was just six months. I was entitled to grieve for my wife.” He said sadly. “For the woman I love.” He added.

Jacko looked at the others and saw Pete nod. He got up off the ground and stood close to Roman.

“You were insane with grief Roman. You fell apart. We were worried about you. You took out Ella’s bike and crashed it. You passed out drunk on her grave. You couldn’t hold it together much longer we had to do something.” He told him.

Roman shook his head.

“No.” he said. “I had a right to those feelings.” He insisted.

“No one is denying that Hardcore but you were going to kill yourself. You were on a self destructive bender and we couldn’t sit back and watch.” Pete murmured.

Roman shook his head and moved away from them. He went into the kitchen and pulled out a bottle of whiskey taking a long drink.

“Is that wise?” James asked him.

“Get away from me.” He snarled in reply.

He drained the bottle in large gulps and turning he threw it at the wall opposite watching with strange satisfaction when it smashed and a cascade of rainbow reflecting shards fell to the floor below. Taking a look in the cupboard he saw the only remaining bottle was Ella’s vodka and he sighed. He took it out and moved unsteadily down to the bottom of the garden and out through the end gate into the orchard.

Jacko took a look at him and reached for his phone. He dialled nervously and spoke softly into the phone.

Pete looked at him and then went into the house. He cleared up the remains of the whisky bottle and made fresh coffee. They sat down and waited.

Ella pulled up outside the house and climbing carefully out of her car she moved over to the door and went inside. She walked through the back of house and saw the three men sitting on separate seats not talking.

“OK.” she said. “Who wants to go first?”

“Where are the kids?” Jacko said quickly not wanting them to see this.

“Irene has them at the diner.” She muttered and folded her arms across herself and waited.

Jacko looked at Pete who inclined his head.

“We got him drunk.” Pete began.

“Not hard to do from what I’ve picked up.” She said in a soft voice.

Jacko nodded before he looked at her.

He stood and faced her.

“Then we took him to a bar and introduced him to women and he left with one.” He said in a rush.

He sighed with relief when Ella didn’t punch him and then gasped when he felt her knee connect with his, well they were his private parts he thought in past tense before folding over and groaning.

She turned and looked at the others.

“Do you have proof that he had sex with her?” she asked calmly.

They shook their heads.

“Then go get some because he won’t come near me if he thinks he’s hurt me.” She said softly.

Pete nodded his understanding.

“Might be a bit difficult considering we have no idea of her name.” Jacko pointed out still on the floor his hands cupping between his legs.

“Find. It.” she hissed.

Pete nodded again.

“Fine.” He murmured.

She inclined her head.

“Where is he?” she asked and watched as they pointed to the end of the garden.

She took a breath and moved down there.

“Hey.” She called out when she saw him.

“Hello.” He replied. “I’m drinking your vodka.” He pointed out the first thing that entered his head.

She nodded.

“So I can see.” She eased down beside him and put her arm around him.

He took a look at her and rested his head in her lap.

“I didn’t know.” He told her. “I swear.” He murmured softly.

“Shh.” She instructed.

She put her arms around him.

“We’ll sort it all out.” She murmured and began stroking his back.

“My wonderful wife.” He said. “And I’ve ruined us.” He groaned.

“No because I’m still here and I still love you.” She said softly. She leaned down awkwardly and pressed a kiss to the side of his head.

“No.” he shook his head. “It’s all over.”

“Since when? Let me decide that.” She said. “After what we talked about the other night? Are you going to give up like that?”

He nodded.

“I’ve hurt you before. I’m not going to let it happen again.” He eased up and then made an unsteady attempt to stand up and pushed himself up along the trunk of the tree. He got to his feet and she held out her hands.

“A little help please?” she asked.

He took a breath and then held out his hands taking hold of hers. He wobbled forward for a second before helping her to stand.

She put her arm around his back and led him to the house. She glared at the three men.

“Pete help him upstairs.” She instructed and almost grinned at the way the other man snapped to attention and followed her order. She waited for them to go before turning to Jacko.

He flinched from her glare.

“You were the uncle I chose for my son and this is what you do to us.” She said quietly.

“Girlie.” He began.

She shook her head.

“I don’t want to hear it right now. If you weren’t family Jacko you’d be…” she stopped and wiped at the first tear to fall from her eyes.

He moved then and put his arms around her.

“It’s not me.” She said. “It’s because it’s him.”

He nodded his understanding at her cryptic statement.

”We thought we were going to lose him so we did something stupid ok.” Jacko told her.

She nodded.

“I know.” She said and moved away and to the stairs. She waited until Pete came back down and then moved to the bedroom. She climbed in behind him and got as close as she could to him the baby bump between them

“I love you.” She whispered.

He sighed.

“I can’t be with you if..” he stopped.

“Maybe if this baby turns out not to be yours I can’t be with you.” She pointed out.

He turned then unsteadily.

“You can’t leave me again.” He said his voice filled with powerful emotion.

She sighed and moved into his arms resting her head on his shoulder.

“Well then lets stop this talk about leaving each other shall we. Go to sleep my husband, I’m here.” She said pressing a kiss to his lips.

She tasted vodka and smiled before closing her eyes.

Chapter 23

Nic paced the floor with Mira. She was suffering colic and spent more time awake than asleep.

Ella knocked on the door before walking in.

“Hello.” She murmured.

“Hi El.” Nic said distracted.

“I take it she’s not settling?” El said softly.

Nic nodded.

“Angel and Robbie came down to sleep with the others.” El told her.

Nic grinned.

“I’m sure the baby crying makes a good excuse.” she murmured.

Ella perched on the nearby sofa and looked at her.

“We need to move out.” Nic said after a moment. “Give you and Dad some peace.”

“If that is what you want to do.” Ella said quietly.

Nic changed arms and moved the baby to the other side. She was finally quiet but still fussing.

She looked at Ella.

“You gave us a home El but we need to make our own way again. Geoff has changed jobs again and this will be his last away trip. “

She nodded.

“I understand.” She murmured.

Nic reached for the bottle of milk and dropped it. She swore softly.

“Babe don’t ever tell your dad that I swore!” she said softly to Mira.

The baby looked up at her with her big sapphire blue eyes and pursed her lips.

Ella bent down to the pick up the bottle and felt a sharp kick from her own baby. She gasped a pressed her hand to her side.

“El?” Nic asked quickly.

“I’m fine. Baby is kicking.” She murmured the explanation.

“Here.” Nic said and handed over Mira without thinking about it.

Ella took the baby, the first time she’d held here since they had been home. She looked at Nic in horror.

“Nic.” She muttered.

Nicole picked up the bottle of milk and turned looking at Ella. She gasped at the look of raw pain on her face.

“It’s ok.” she said quickly and took the baby from her. She saw Ella back away from her and turn to go down the stairs. She ran down the first flight and then the second before Nic could stop her. She ran out the door and into the darkness outside.

Nic heard the front door opening and quickly went and woke Roman up. He looked round the room sleepily before he focused on Nic.

“Ella just ran out the door.” Nic said breathlessly. “I gave her Mira to hold and she just panicked.” She explained to her dad.

He nodded understanding and moved out of the bed pulling on a pair of Jeans and jamming shoes on to his feet. Yanking a T-shirt out of the drawer he tugged it over his head on the way down the stairs. He was out through the front door within moments and caught up with Ella, she had reached the road.

“Hey.” He called out to her.

She looked at him as though she didn’t recognise him.

“Ella.” He said quickly feeling panic start.

After a minute she blinked and looked at him again.

“Roman?” she questioned.

He nodded.

“Come on home.” He instructed.

She shook her head.

“No.” she told him. “I have to go.”

“Where do you need to go?” he asked her.

“To see her.” she said.

“Ok I’ll take you. Lets go to the car.” He murmured understandingly.

She shook her head.

“I need to go.” She pulled away from him and carried on walking.

He let her go and ran back to the house.

“Dad?” Nic said from near the door.

“It’s ok.” he told her.

He moved over to her and gave her a fleeting hug before grabbing his keys and racing back out to the car. He started the engine and pulled out of the drive and to where Ella was walking along the side of the road. She blinked up at him as he pulled up alongside her.

Roman leaned over to the other side of the car and opened the door.

“Get in I’ll take you there.” He told her.

She looked at him for a moment before climbing into the car. He drove them there in silence and pulled up outside the cemetery. She climbed out of the car and walked up to the gates. Roman joined her after a moment and saw her disappointment at seeing the padlock. He grinned and ran back to the car taking the tool kit out of the back. He opened it up and found a small screwdriver. It took a few minutes before he picked the padlock and it clicked open. He pulled the chain off and opened the gates. She moved silently walking through the dark straight to the grave. She knelt down and began sobbing.

“Ella.” He said.

She looked at him.

“I should have taken more care of her.” she said.

He shook his head.

“She had a heart defect El, there was nothing you could do to save her.” he murmured.

She looked at him.

“I had Rachel perform an autopsy.” He confessed. “I knew that one day you would need to know.”

She held out her hand.

He sat beside her.

“Taking care of me again.” She murmured.

He nodded.

“It’s my job.” He half grinned.

She looked at the small plaque and smiled.

“When did you do this?” she asked him.

He put his arm around her.

“Months later. I couldn’t think what to put for a long time.”

She leaned forward and traced the words.

“Francesca Harris, briefly held in our arms but forever in our hearts.” She read out loud.

He smiled at hearing the words he had laboured over for so long from her lips.

“I’m sorry Francesca I should have come here sooner. I miss you baby girl.” El said to her. “I wish we could have had more time.”

Ella looked at Roman and kissed him before taking off her wedding ring. She moved some earth and placed the ring in the hole and began to cover it over.

“Wait.” Roman stopped her movement.

She looked at him and saw him remove his ring placing it with hers and watched her smile.

“We’re with you Francesca.” Roman told his daughter.

Ella nodded.

She covered the rings and patted the earth over the top of them before putting the grass back in place.

She smiled one more time and then stood up slowly.

Roman got to his feet and wrapped his arms around her.

“I’m ready now.” She told him.

He leaned down and kissed her before guiding her back to the car collecting his discarded tools. They drove home and pulled up outside the house. She saw the door open and Nic standing there, clutching Mira to her.

Ella smiled at Roman.

“I feel peace.” She said quietly.

“I’m glad.” He replied.

She leaned over and kissed him before climbing out of the car. She went over to Nic.

“Can I hold the baby please?” she asked her.

Nic smiled tearfully.

“Of course.” She said and placed the baby in Ella’s arms.

Ella moved to the sofa and held the baby close as she sat down.

Roman followed his arm around Nic’s shoulders.

“Are you ok?” Nic asked her.

“Yes I am. Your Dad has taken care of me.” Ella smiled.

Nic grinned.

“Where did you go?” she asked them.

“I went to say goodbye to Francesca.” She tried to explain.

Nic nodded.

“Are you ok?” she asked them both.

Ella nodded.

“We’re with her.” she said and saw her frown in puzzlement.

Roman pressed a kiss to his elder daughter forehead.

“We put our wedding rings in her grave.” He explained.

Nic gave a gasp.

“That is so…” she began and had to blink to stop the tears coming.

“I think this one is asleep.” Ella pointed out.

Nic looked at them and claimed her daughter back. She pressed a kiss to both of them and took her back upstairs.

Ella looked at him.

“I love you. Thank you for looking after us.” She told him.

He smiled and held out his hand.

“Lets go to bed.” He murmured.

She moved off the sofa and went with him back to bed.

“We need to do something about Nic. They need to have their own place again.” She said softly.

“I don’t know what you are planning but can it wait until tomorrow?” he asked with a grin.

She chuckled.

“For once I wasn’t plotting.” She told him.

“Makes a change.” He said climbing out of his hastily donned clothes.

She got under the covers and waited for him.

He slid in next to her and they kissed before he held her in his arms.

“I love you Ella.” He told her.

She fell asleep a smile on her face.

Chapter 24

Geoff came home late, it was late afternoon when he walked through the door. He took in the sight of Nic trying to calm Mira amidst the chaos of all the children and sighed.

She grinned at him and he moved over to her and placed a kiss to her lips.

“Hello husband.” She said softly.

“Hey.” He greeted.

He pressed a kiss to the baby’s head and looked at Nic.

“Yes I know, she’s hot. She’s had a disturbed night. So far the only one to get her to sleep is El and she’s out right now having a scan.” Nic told him. “Why don’t you go freshen up for a bit?” she suggested.

He smiled at her and gave her another kiss.

“Thank you” he said with a grin.

She smiled again and moved into the kitchen as he went up the stairs.

“Angel, Robbie.” She called her children. “Can you make a sandwich for Daddy?” she asked them.

Angel grinned and ran into the kitchen with Robbie following behind. They pulled out the things from the fridge and began concocting a sandwich.

“Hey, we’re back.” Roman called out walking in through the front door.

Nic came out of the kitchen and saw Irene with Ella and Roman.

“Hello Darl.” Irene said in greeting.

“Irene.” Nic smiled and went over to her and kissed her.

“Is Geoff back?” Ella asked.

Nic nodded before handing over Mira with a sigh.

“Hey!” Ella protested.

“I’ve been babysitting for hours it’s your turn.” Nic grinned.

Roman shook his head at her but smiled when he saw Ella cuddling the baby.

“Do not get any ideas.” She warned him. “I am not having any more.” She said easing herself on to the sofa.

“I didn’t say anything!” he muttered.

“Don’t you think you’ve got enough children.” She grumbled as he sat next to her.

Irene grinned at them.

“With you two you never can tell.” She said softly.

She moved to a nearby chair and sat down with a sigh.

Nic chuckled and moved into the kitchen and started on drinks. She checked the sandwich and pulled out the extra slices of beetroot and some slices of lettuce. She placed them on the side of the pate and grinned at the effort.

Geoff moved down the stairs fresh from his shower.

“Hello.” He murmured in greeting seeing Ella now with Mira. He grinned and moved over to see his daughter now fast asleep.

“Hello Darl.” Irene smiled at him.

“As usual the woman have been plotting Geoff.” Roman warned him.

“Not plotting just thinking alternatives.” Ella grinned and placed her hand on his knee stroking slowly.

Roman turned to her and smiled.

Nic came out of the kitchen with a tray. She placed it on the table and poured out coffee for everyone before giving Geoff his sandwich.

“Angel and Robbie?” he asked a light in his eyes.

Nic nodded and Geoff took a cautious bite.

“Less peanut butter this time.” he commented and saw Roman grin.

“I’m going to have them work in the diner and learn a few things.” He told them.

Nic laughed.

“So come on then what have you been plotting.” She said and moved to sit with Geoff.

He gave her a look and she felt her heart beating faster.

“Well as you know I do a fair bit of travelling with George. As you know I rented out the beach house the first few times but short term lets are troublesome and its too big for me.”

“We could lend you some kids to fill it.” Ella said quickly.

“Hey.” Sophie muttered from across the room.

“Stop listening. Outside.” Roman told them with a grin and watched as they moved slowly out through the doors.

“My children too.” Nic called.

Angel and Robbie went out slowly still trying to eavesdrop.

“Well as I said it is too big so we thought about a swap.” Irene continued.

“What?” Geoff said in shock.

“Well something like that. George and I are off to England again soon so we’ll be gone for a while. When we come back we can stay here and you can have the beach house. There is no mortgage on it so whatever way you want to work out the money is up to you. You can rent it or buy it.” she said.

Nic looked at Geoff and waited.

He nodded.

“We need to look at interest rates and see what we can do.” He said slowly and heard Nic’s held breath escaping and saw her smile lovingly at him.

“There is something else. I know you gave us the money back Geoff but we put it in an account and haven’t touched it. As far as I’m concerned that money is yours. If you want to use it on the house fine, but if you want to leave it for the kids I really don’t mind but I took out that policy for Nic.”

Nic looked at Geoff and saw the expression on his face.

“We’ll look at money and let you know.” She said peacefully.

Geoff shook his head.

He leaned over and kissed Nic.

“The fact that you had the money set aside and didn’t throw it as us when we were in trouble is, well it’s awesome. We will accept it and use some for the house and the rest we’ll leave in trust for the children. University fees or something.” He said and saw Nic beaming proudly at him.

“I love you Nic.” He added softly.

She caught hold of his hand and lifted it to her lips and pressed a kiss to it.

“I love you too Geoff.” She said.

She turned and looked at her Dad.

“But you know when we move out we are going to have to take Ella with us. She is the only one to get Mira to sleep.” She said to him.

Roman growled.

“Over my dead body.” He grumbled.

Ella laughed at him.

Nic smiled at Geoff again and they continued to hold hands.

“I think we’ll go upstairs and have a talk about this.” Geoff said to Nic.

She caught the expression on his face and laughed.

“Yeah talk.” She said.

They stood up and moved away.

“I don’t think they are going to get a lot of talking done meself.” Irene said a smile on her face.

Ella turned her head and caught Roman looking at her a blaze of hunger on his face.

“Soon.” She said quietly to him and patted his knee.

He sighed and gave her a kiss before standing up and clearing away the debris of cups.

“Do you want a cuddle Irene?” Ella asked her.

She nodded and took Roman’s seat. Ella placed baby Mira in her arms.

Chapter 25

Ella waited in bed for Roman to join her. He came out of the en suite a towel round his hips and reached into a drawer for his pyjamas.

“Hey lover.” She called a smile on her face.

He turned towards her.

“Yes?” he said arching an eyebrow at her.

“Come to bed.” She grinned and threw back the covers.

He smiled as he saw her in a very cute pink baby doll nightie that made her look incredibly sexy.

“Rachel said no.” he pointed out.

She grinned.

“Come here.” She murmured.

He dropped the towel to the floor and joined her in the bed.

She put her arms around him and pulled his head towards her. She kissed his lips gently, almost innocently.

“Now as I recall there were a lot of things we did before we ever made love.” She whispered.

He chuckled.

“One or two things. Most of them at your insistence.” He pointed out.

She giggled.

“Now what was it first?” she asked him softly.

He eased away from her.

“Are you serious?” he said quickly his breathing becoming more rapid.

She nodded.

He smiled and lowered his head.

“I believe.” He began. “That you started by…” he paused and then whispered the rest of the sentence in her ear.

“Ah yes now I remember.” She grinned.

She pushed him down on the bed and kissed her way down his chest until she closed her mouth over one of his nipples and suckled gently. She heard him gasp before moving over to the other one.

“Then what was it?” she asked.

He laughed.

“Then you wanted to see me naked.” He grinned.

“We can skip that one.” She grinned. “Although I’m sure that you weren’t this fit seven months ago.” She added trailing a finger down his stomach looking at the new flatness to it and the taught muscles.

He gave a little sigh when her finger drew a neat circle around his navel.

“You did that as well.” She said and lowered her head to kiss where his fingers had touched.

“I wonder if my tongue teases you as much as yours does me.” She asked quoting her words from that long ago exploration of each other.

“Ok.” he said. “You’ve had your fun you can stop now.”

She chuckled and he took a hasty in drawn breath as he felt hers ruffle across his skin. She placed subtle gentle almost innocent kisses along the hard plains of his stomach and he moaned his arousal.

“More.” She whispered. She moved down and looked at him. Feasting her eyes on his sex. She pressed kisses along the length of it before gently touching it and holding her hand around it. He felt her tentative strokes and moaned some more. She was re-enacting one their first lovings and it felt so wonderful.

“I should have known I wouldn’t keep that promise.” He whispered, as they lay ready for sleep to claim them.

She giggled.

“No it was my fault.” She admitted. “As soon as I knew I could trust you and I had feelings for you I wanted more.”

He laughed, his breath ruffling her hair as they spooned together. His strong arms wrapped around her, one hand stroking her pregnant bump lovingly.

His arms tightened for a second as a jealous thought went through him.

“What?” she asked him, yawning.

“Ouh, just thinking that if we hadn’t met then you might be lying somewhere with someone else.” He said.

She chuckled.

“Well you were Mike’s CO I’m sure we would have met.” She pointed out.

“True.” He said softly. “But would we have ended up here?”

She nodded.

“We loved each other from the first moment we met.” She said softly. “Don’t you think it would have been difficult to stop ourselves giving into those feelings?” she asked him.

He grinned and closed his eyes remembering their first meeting and how he had thought some very flowery language.

“I did love you.” He confirmed. “I never realised it until now.

He waited for her to say something like she had told him so but she had fallen asleep. He pressed a kiss to her shoulder before settling down and closing his eyes.

He awoke first, sometime before the alarm was set to go off and he eased out of bed. Picking up the discarded towel from last night and went into the bathroom for a shower. He was done within minutes and went back into the room to dress. She was still sleeping so he switched the alarm off and eased downstairs. He moved into the kitchen and started on making coffee before getting breakfast.

“You should be more careful about security.” Elliot said from the lounge. He was standing at one of the bookshelves looking at a picture of the family.

Roman looked up at the sound of the other mans voice but carried on with what he was doing.

“Really?” he asked uninterestedly.

Elliot moved into the archway and looked at him.

“Your wife told me to ask about Gardy.” Elliot said softly.

Roman turned and looked at him his eyes cold.

“And?” he bit out.

“And when I did no one would answer a single question not even Colleen.” He murmured.

Roman quickly hid a smile.

“What would you like to know?” he asked Eliot. “How about we let him live the first time he messed with us but then he came back. They always come back."

Elliot smiled slowly and coldly.

“You reap what you sow Hardcore.” He said equally as coldly.

Roman poured the hot water in the coffee percolator and waited a moment to depress the plunger.

“I did something bad for the right reasons and I paid for it. You nor anybody else is going to come to where I live and take away my happiness.” He said quietly. “You threatened my daughter the first time and now you’ve hurt my wife. Do you honestly think you’ll get away with it?” he asked him.

Elliot grinned.

“Hardcore I haven’t even begun to mess with you. And as for your happiness what right do you have to have any? I did more time than you!” he snarled the ending of the sentence.

Roman poured out the coffee and took a sip.

“I shot Mark in Self defence. I didn’t try and kill and innocent young girl in retaliation.” Roman pointed out calmly.

He looked at his watch.

“It’s time for you to go Elliot. Let me show you out.”

Roman looked at him and then moved to the front door, which he opened. He went through it and Elliot followed.

“Need any help Hardcore?” Jacko called from his seat on the front veranda.

“Nope.” Roman said.

Pete and James climbed out of their car and stood next to it.

“Elliot just had a few questions about Gardy he wanted answering.” Roman added after a minute.

Jacko nodded and then pointed to a section of veranda.

“About there wasn’t it?” Jacko asked.

Roman shrugged.

“I can’t remember.” He admitted. “Looks about right.”

“What?” Elliot asked.

“The spot where he died after he messed with Ella.” Jacko said and watched with satisfaction as the colour went out of Elliott’s face at the statement.

“My security system is the best in the business.” Roman said. “And these gentlemen are from my old unit and will be happy to assist you if you need help removing yourself from my property.”

Elliot looked round the their faces before heading up the road and into his car. They waited to hear it drive away before they went back inside.

“Hardcore?” Jacko murmured.

“I’m ok.” he said.

“Great.” Jacko said. “Can we get a coffee? And how about some breakfast?”

Roman laughed and went to pour out the coffee.

He pulled out eggs and bacon from the fridge and started cooking.

Chapter 26

Roman lay awake even though it was late, curled up next to Ella in their big bed. She had been busy all day rearranging shelves and doing laundry and he wondered if she knew she was nesting. He grinned, thinking of her with another baby. They had still to find a place for the baby to sleep but he had gone up to attic and pulled out the bassinet. He’d kept it in secret, not really sure they would have another baby after Sammy but just feeling that they should keep something. He had found a couple boxes of baby stuff too, not the special stuff they kept for the kids but general baby stuff, like bottles and blankets and even some clothes. He’d handed them to Nic and asked her to wash them ready. He laughed softly thinking that Ella wasn’t the only one of them nesting. He pressed a kiss to the back of her neck and slid his arm out from under her and climbed out of bed. He pulled up the covers and tucked her in noting with a smile how she turned and moved into the spot he’d just left. He pulled on his robe and padded barefoot down the stairs.

Mike came in through the back door and pulled out a soft drink from the fridge.

“Not waiting up for me are you?” he asked on seeing Roman there.

“Nope I’m not that stupid.” Roman grinned. “Just a touch of insomnia.”

“Well I don’t know if you planned it but Elliot was spooked by the Gardy stuff.” He grinned.

“Not spooked enough to leave.” He murmured.

Mike shrugged.

“Tell me do you blame him for wanting revenge?” Mike asked.

Roman looked at him and caught his warning expression. He raised his eyebrow and caught Mike looking pointedly at the light fitting in the lounge. Roman nodded slowly.

“I didn’t intend for any of this to happen.” He murmured to Mike approaching the light fitting.

“No but it did and worse my mum was dragged into it.” he said affecting a sneer.

Roman grinned at him.

“Your mother can take care of herself. You didn’t see the state of Gardy’s body. She cut off his…”

“Hey!” Mike exclaimed grinning. “Spare me the details.”

“All I’m saying is that Elliot ought to be the one watching out. Ella is pregnant and it’s been quite a strain holding her back. She’s already gone to see him once. He was just lucky she decided to give him a warning.” Roman murmured. “Now I suggest you get to bed before she wakes up. The fact you are still seeing him has her steamed up as it is.”

“When are you going to learn that you can’t boss me about?” Mike said with attitude.

“Mike I’m too tired to argue with you! Just go.” He muttered.

Roman smiled at him as he removed the listening device from the light fitting. He carried it over to the kitchen and motioned for Mike to leave.

He nodded and left Roman downstairs.

Roman examined the listening device and grinned. So Elliot wanted to listen in to what was going on with the family did he, he mused. Then he should get the benefit of the whole family.

Going into the study he picked up a marker pen and some paper and wrote notes for the kids. He picked them up with a roll of tape and stuck a few of them around the lounge before putting the bug on the top of the bookshelf.

He moved up stairs and taped a note to the kids door before going into the bedroom and taking his phone out and texting Jacko. He left his phone on silent and climbed into bed.

“Your feet are cold.” She told him without opening her eyes.

“That’s rich coming from you.” He said softly grinning.

“Are you trying to pick a fight?” she asked.

He chuckled.

“Nope, not me.” He murmured. “Not until we can have make up sex anyway.” He murmured softly his breath blowing on the back of her neck.

He put his arms around her and snuggled down with her.

“I love you.” he murmured.

She chuckled.

“I love you too.” She whispered more than half asleep again.

He smiled before finally falling asleep.

He woke before the alarm was due to go off again and grinned. Climbing out of bed and rushing into the shower. He got out equally as quickly and dressed, moving downstairs. He claimed the pen paper from the study and waited. He heard Meggy stirring first and she came down stairs and frowned at him.

He placed his finger to his lips and handed her a note.

She read it and nodded, moving into the lounge and turning on the music loud.

Roman moved the bug to near the speaker and left it there while Meggy went through a number of tunes before finding something with a long drum solo. She hooked up the sound loud.

He nodded at her and handed her a cup of juice just as the other kids came down.

They looked at him and at Meggy who was dancing to the music. He wrote out instructions and handed that to Sophie and put his finger to his lips to stop her asking him anything. She read the paper and nodded before handing it to Georgie and then Sammy.

She waited until Sammy had read it and nodded at him, he nodded back to her and she walking over to the stereo and clicking off the music.

“How can you listen to such rubbish?” she shouted at Meggy and found an annoying pop cd and out it on.

“Give me the remote.” Meggy shouted enthusiastically.

Sammy went to the tv and put the cartoons on. He turned up the volume to hear it over the music.

Roman laughed at them.

Georgie took out the box of cereal and accidentally spilled some. He grinned and then fetched the vacuum and plugged it in before switching it on. He vacuumed up the cereal then did the rest of the carpet.

Sophie and Meggy continued arguing and Sammy turned up the volume on the tv.

Ella stood at the bottom of the stairs and looked at the chaos in the lounge. She moved slowly and switched off the vacuum and glared at Roman. He moved quickly and took her into the kitchen.

‘Elliot has bugged the lounge’ he wrote on a piece of paper.

She glared at him before writing.

‘Pregnant wife + disturbed sleep + lots of screaming kids/noise = no sex forever!’

He chuckled and took the pen.

‘back rub pizza toffee cheesecake and finding nemo to make up for it?’ he quickly wrote.

She glared at him some more before writing.

‘maybe’ and left him in the kitchen.

She moved over to the stereo and took the remote off Meggy. Taking out her favourite disc she put that in and cranked up the volume before hitting play.

Roman laughed as Guns N Roses Welcome to the jungle came on. Within minutes she and the children were dancing along to the music. He watched for a moment before going back into the kitchen and making a start on breakfast.

Chapter 27

Ella and Roman were sitting on the back veranda waiting while Jacko and Pete did a sensor sweep of the house to check for any more bugs.

They came out after another few minutes.

“The house is clear.” Pete told them. “He put two bugs in the lounge and one in the kitchen.”

“Probably didn’t have time to do much else.” Jacko said.

Roman nodded.

“I think we should return his bugs to him.” he said with a grin.

Pete chuckled.

“Should be easy to do.” He nodded.

Ella looked at them.

“Stop it.” she said to Roman standing up and glaring at him. “This is not a fun little game. He’s already hurt us once. Do you want to keep provoking him?” she shook her head and without waiting for an answer stormed inside. They heard the door slam and looked at each other.

“Hardcore.” Jacko said softly.

Roman turned and looked at him.

“I know. But Elliot won’t give up. “

Pete sat opposite him.

“We have a plan.” He began and looked at Jacko.

Roman shook his head.

“I’m not sure that it’s the right time for one of your plans.” He said and grinned at them.

“Well it’s actually an old one of yours. We just adapted it a little.” Jacko confessed.

Roman looked over at them and shook his head again.

“Anything I came up with back in the day is bound to be no good… I was young and stupid.”

He muttered.

Jacko grinned,

“Well the stupid part hasn’t changed.” He grinned.

Roman stood up and went into the kitchen away from them. He took out a bottle of water from the fridge and then wandered back out.

“What is the plan?” he asked them.

“We give Elliot a taste of SAS life.” He said.

“How is that going to help?” Roman said folding his arms across his chest.

“He’ll know how tough it is in the SAS and gain understanding of what we actually did.” Pete said.

“Or you’ll be giving him extra training so that when he does come to kill me he’s got an upper hand.” Roman groaned.

“There is that.” Jacko grinned. “When are you going to get fit again?”

Roman looked at the other man with a touch of hate in his own.

“You mean like the last time?” he asked in an icy tone of voice.

Jacko nodded.

“When hell freezes over.” Roman muttered.

“I was not that bad.” Jacko said to him.

Pete laughed.

“You’re evil Jacko old mate. I’m surprised Hardcore didn’t hit you.”

Jacko shook his head.

“I was only following orders.” He muttered defensively.

“Yeah, that defence didn’t go so well for Hitler did it.” Roman muttered glaring at him some more.

“I’m beginning to see why people get so PO’d at you.” Jacko told him. “You have a very unforgiving nature.”

Pete let out a belly laugh.

“You two are so funny.” He told them.

“Hey!” Jacko grinned. “It’s wasn’t fun training him you know. He’d been in civvy street for so long he’d gone soft.”

Pete looked at him.

“Well he’s been a civvy for longer this time and he still knocked you on your ass.” Pete pointed out.

“Er boys.” Roman said quietly. “The plan.” He murmured.

They focused on him and stopped glaring at each other.

“We kidnap him. Take him to a place we know nearby. Instruct him in a few drills.” Jacko said simply.

“You wouldn’t be hanging him of any cliffs while you do this would you?” Roman asked them.

Pete and Jacko looked at him in surprise.

“No.” Jacko said puzzled.

“Never mind.” Roman muttered.

“Hardcore?” Pete asked him.

“He made me drink something that knocked me out and when I woke up I was hanging upside down over a cliff. He joked that he didn’t know if the knots would hold.” Roman said softly.

Jacko whistled softly under his breath.

“That is some kind of mental instability.” He commented.

“Yeah, but are you talking about him or me?” Roman asked with a flash of his grin. “He took Nic and made her go diving with him. Left her with no oxygen weighted down in the sea. Luckily Geoff saw them leave and jumped on the boat. He managed to save her getting shot with a spear gun in the process, but rescued her and got her to the island.”

Jacko and Pete looked over at each other.

“And just how is he still alive?” Pete asked him.

“Because I did it. I killed Mark.” Roman told them in a soft voice. “He deserved some payback. Just not attacking my daughter.”

Jacko stood up and faced him.

“Hardcore. It was self-defence. We were there. You couldn’t have done anything else. Now he’s gone after Nic once and hurt Ella. That just doesn’t tick you off that’s all of us. Ella is family. He’s messing with our family and he either stops or we stop him.” Jacko said firmly.

Pete stood and nodded agreement moving to stand near Jacko.

“You saved our lives that day Roman. Mark was going to leave us stranded in the middle of enemy territory. It’s time to let go of that.” He said quietly.

Roman took in the words.

“I can’t. “ he murmured.

“Yes, you can.” Ella said from behind him.

He turned to her and she moved quickly putting her arms around him.

“Ella.” He said softly.

“You need to let this go or it will keep eating at you.” She told him.

She pressed kisses to his lips and held him.

“Please let it go now.” She whispered against his lips.

He clung to her for a minute.

“I don’t think your plan is going to work.” She told them. “Elliot is too wise to let you get inside his head. You need to give him something he wants.”

Roman nodded his arms still around her.

“She has a point.“ he said. “He knows that he can’t beat me one on one so he’s going to force me to make a choice again.”

Ella nodded.

“We need to tap into your memory.” He told her.

She nodded again.

“I know there is stuff in there, I just don’t know what it is.” She said frustrated.

He kissed her again.

“Girlie.” Jacko murmured. “Are you ready to try hypnosis again?”

She nodded.

She stepped away from Roman and reached for a drink form the fridge.

“Whatever is blocking you from remembering is tied up with what happened before.” Roman told her softly. “You need to know that you got past that.”

“I’ve said I’d try hypnosis again stop badgering me.” She muttered angrily.

She slammed the fridge shut and picked up her keys.

“I’m going for a drive.” She told him.

She moved to the door and out of it before they could say anything to stop her. Roman watched her go concern written over his features.

Danni walked out of school and bumped into him.

“Watch it.” he muttered.

She looked up.

“You’re their brat.” He murmured. “I’m Elliot.” he introduced himself. “I suppose you heard one or two things about me.” He added with a cheeky grin.

She looked at him.

“Yeah.” She said softly.

“What’s the name?” he asked her.

She looked at him.

“Danni.” She told him.

“Hey there Danni.” He said and offered her his hand.

She looked at him for a moment before holding her hand out. He took hold of her hand and lifted it to his lips and pressed a gentle kiss on it.

She smiled at him.

“Pleased to meet you Danni.” He murmured with another smile. “Surely that should be Danielle?” he added softly.

Danni shook her head and blushed.

Ella pulled up in the car and watched them for a moment from across the street. She leaned over to the glove compartment and pulled out the tool kit it housed. She picked out a screwdriver from it and put that in the pocket of her jacket. She eased slowly out of the car and pulled on the jacket before crossing over the road.

“Danni.” She called out softly.

The girl looked up.

“Elliot.” Ella murmured walking up behind him.

“Mum.” Danni said. “Elliot was just telling me how much I looked like you.” She murmured and gave her mother a half smile.

“Really?” she asked her. “Elliot you can let go of my daughter’s hand now.” She told him.

He turned towards her and looked at her reading the fury in her gaze. He let go of Danni’s hand slowly.

“Danni get in the car please.” She instructed.

Danni nodded and moved towards the car.

“I’ll be seeing you real soon Danielle.” Elliot said a thread of menace in his voice.

Ella stepped forward and took out the screwdriver from her jacket pocket slowly, keeping her hand lowered.

“I told you Elliot, stay away from my family.” She murmured.

He smiled slowly.

“I think it’s BS Ella.” He said.

She looked him in the eye.

“Gardy?” she asked.

He nodded slowly.

“I watched him die.” She told him. “He’s buried in Yabbie Creek Cemetery.”

She turned for a second and watched as Danni got in the car before taking another step towards Elliot.

“Don’t mess with my family.” She said again.

He laughed.

She moved then stepping forward fast and pressing the screwdriver against his stomach. The point pressing against his flesh. She pushed and felt it enter his side.

“Now I can scream and make it look like I am defending myself as I push this in further or you can get the message. You want to deal with Roman you go ahead but my family are off limits.”

He squirmed as his hand shot out to catch hold of her wrist.

“You crazy B*tch.” He muttered trying to ease away.

He noticed then that she had hold of his belt at the top of his jeans.

“You move and I’ll stab you.” She murmured. “Let go of me.” She hissed.

He released hold of her wrist slowly and looked at her.

“And how do you think you’ll get away from me? I can knock you down and give you a few kicks to that belly of yours.” He muttered threatening her unborn baby.

“Did you hear that Roman?” she asked looking over his shoulder.

Elliot spun around pulling away from her before realising his mistake. She pulled out the screwdriver and put it back in her pocket as she moved quickly away from him, running across the road to her car. The traffic stopping him from following.

“I will get you.” He shouted.

She paused just before climbing in.

“Get the message Elliot. I’m smarter than you are and I will not let you hurt my children. “ She said loudly. The words drifting over to him.

He swore at her some more as he watched her drive away.

Ella looked at Danni.

“What did he say to you?” she asked her.

“He was trying to be charming.” She said quietly.

“And you were playing along because?” Ella asked her.

“Because I thought you and Roman could use the help.” she admitted quietly.

“Danni please don’t’ get involved. You do not own us anything ok.” Ella said.

She pulled up outside the house and stormed in moving to the back where the three of them were still sitting.

“Whatever you have to do to get rid of him do it.” she said. “I will not have him go after my family.”

Roman looked at her.

“Who?” He asked.

She dropped the bloodied screwdriver to the floor.

“Danni.” She said quickly, “Keep him away from my kids or I’ll do it myself.” She looked Roman in the eye. “She thought she had to be some kind of super spy and copy what you and Mike were doing.”

Roman moved towards her.

“Nic is bringing the rest of the children home. I’m going upstairs.” She said and turned away.

She walked past a subdued Danni and up the stairs.

“Danni?” Roman asked softly.

“I’m ok.” she murmured. “Ella came and she told me to get in the car.” She told him.

“Please stay away from him Danni.” Roman said softly.

She nodded.

Roman moved forward and reached out pulling her into his arms for a hug.

“You did ok Danni but he is trained and has been in prison.” He told her. “I appreciate what you tried to do.”

She nodded and moved upstairs slowly.

Roman turned to Jacko.

He’d picked up the screwdriver and was washing it under a running tap.

“I think he’s pissed her off.” He commented.

Roman nodded.

“I’m starting to have similar feelings. Let’s go pay him a visit.” He murmured.

Jacko and Pete nodded.

Chapter 28

Roman went up the stairs and along to their room to get changed. He saw Ella resting on the bed. He moved quickly to her side and saw immediately that she was crying.

“El.” He murmured.

“I don’t want to hear it. Just leave me alone.” She told him in a cold voice.

“Please El. “ he said his distress at seeing her like this evident in his voice.

“No. I’m tired and upset and I really just want you to leave me alone.” She murmured.

He looked at her.

“Is this the same woman who just held me when I was feeling bad?” he asked her.

She rolled over then and eased back on the pillows pulling herself up.

“This is the same woman who just stabbed someone with a screwdriver and told him to leave her alone or she would kill him. I don't like myself very much at the moment and as unfair as it may be I don’t like you for bringing this violence into my life.” She told him.

His head flew back as though she had slapped him.

“Ella.” He said her name.

“Please just leave me alone, ok.” she murmured. “Let me get my head together because if you push me now I’ll run away again.”

He nodded and picked up his clothes moving into the en suite to shower and change. He came out a moment later and she was once more laying flat. He moved to her side and pulled up the cover and pressed a swift kiss to her lips.

“I love you.” He said softly before straightening and moving out of the bedroom. He paused as he went to pull the door shut, hearing her give into sobs. He hardened his heart and forced himself not to go back into the room to take her into his arms, regardless of what she said, just needing to stop her pain.

Moving swiftly down the stairs he met Jacko and Pete at the bottom and they moved out of the house. Jacko drove straight to Elliot’s. They knocked on his door and waited. When there was no answer they went inside and checked out the house. Giving him back his listening devices in convenient places.

After a few minutes James joined them.

“We gonna wait Hardcore?” He asked.

Roman sat in a chair his expression seeming to be made of ice. The others took in the look and the way he was sitting and helped themselves to seats. They didn’t have to wait long until Elliot walked in through the door.

“Well well, Hardcore I thought I might get a visit from you.”

“How could I resist your invitation?” Roman said to him his gaze narrowed as he regarded the other man.

“I should have that b*tch of a wife checked out for Rabies if I were you.” He said.

Roman nodded.

“Yeah, sorry about that. She gets cranky when her kids are involved. We tried to warn you though in all fairness.” He murmured ignoring the taunt in his words. “We came to check up on you.” He added.

“Yeah.” Jacko said picking up the cue from Roman. “We wouldn’t want to appear unfeeling.”

“Let me introduce you?” Roman offered.

Elliot shook his head.

“Jacko Thompson, Pete Gillette and James…” he began.

“I see you’ve done your usual homework Elliot.” Roman told him cutting him off. “But maybe you need more information. Jacko was our Sgt. He is a crack shot with pistol. Skilled in unarmed combat, although you like to brawl a bit don’t you?” he asked the man.

Jacko nodded.

“Pete is an expert in explosives.” He looked at him and smiled. “James is a bit of an all rounder. Skilled in unarmed combat and is a Black Belt.”

Elliot looked around the group before focusing his hard glare back on Roman.

“And yourself?” he asked Roman.

“I can’t tell you.” Roman murmured. “My security classification is too high.”

Jacko grinned at him.

“We didn’t call him Hardcore for nothing.” He said to Elliot.

Roman smiled slowly.

“Which leaves my wife.” He said and caught Elliot’s look of shock.

“She’s army trained. Spent some time in Afghanistan herself.” Roman murmured. “Her Father is army too.”

“Yeah, I know, George isn’t it. You’re Mike told me that.” Elliot pulled up a chair and sat on it opposite Roman.

“I bet that is all he told you.” Roman smiled and leant back. “Because we would have to kill you if we told you anymore about what he does.”

Jacko laughed.

“That used to be funny when it was a joke.” He said.

Roman grinned.

“So do you have any questions or shall we move on?” Roman asked him and without waiting for a response he stood up and moved over to him. He picked him up by his T-Shirt and threw him back to the wall.

“I can’t pretend that I’m cool and collected anymore because as annoyed as Ella is of you coming after our kids I’m ready to kill you for touching my wife.” Roman said slowly. “If you come after us one more time I will stop playing Mr Niceguy.”

Elliot laughed.

“I’m under your skin Hardcore. “ he sneered.

Jacko looked at him.

“Nope. Ella asked us to drop by and warn you off.” He said to Elliot. “What were her words Pete?” he asked.

“I believe she said to remove him before she did.” Pete smiled and took a step closer to Roman.

Roman looked deep into Elliot’s brown eyes.

“I gave you a chance before I’m not going to do it again. Your brother was a coward. He would have killed one of us and left us stranded behind enemy lines.” He muttered feeling the truth of the statement sink into his soul. “You are nothing but a coward hiding behind woman because you can’t take me on one on one. Well no more Elliot, as my wife says you stay away from us.” With a burst of strength Roman picked him up and flung him halfway across the room.

“Gentlemen get rid of the rubbish.” He said to the others.

James nodded and moved to drag Elliot up by his hair. He put his arm around him and held him in a headlock. Jacko pulled out tape and a black hood. He pulled of a section of tape and placed it over Elliot’s mouth before pulling the hood over his head. He moved and took hold of Elliot’s hands forcing them behind his back. They taped them together and did the same with his ankles.

James let go of him and he fell to the floor.

“Sorry, my bad.” James said in his laid back voice.

Roman laughed.

“James, you are careless.” He muttered.

They moved a little way away from the prone Elliot and started talking about the best places to dumb a body, keeping their voices low. They could see Elliot trying to listen to them and had to hide their amusement. The conversation was purely for effect.

After a time they moved outside and checking no one was about they picked up the struggling Elliot and threw him in the back of the car. James and Pete climbed in the front and set off driving around the area for the next three hours, using back roads and farm tracks. Eventually they headed back and carried a now unconscious Elliot back into his house. They cut the tape on his ankles and hands before they left him lying on the bed.

He went home and slipped upstairs to take a shower. He saw Ella fast asleep on the bed and sighed. She had dark circles under her eyes and looked exhausted. He came out of the en suite and she was sitting up.

“What did you do?” she asked him.

“The boys took him for a ride and scared him.” he explained softly.

She nodded.

“It won’t be enough.” She said.

He nodded pulling out clean clothes to put on.

“It never is, is it?” he muttered.

He turned to look at her.

“I’m fooling myself that we can get past this aren’t I?” he said suddenly.

She nodded.

“I can’t. I love you but I can’t.” she admitted slowly. “I can’t remember what he did because there is something there that reminds me of what Gardy did and I never blamed you but now it’s too much of a coincidence isn’t it, another person from your past.” She sighed. “Tell me how I get past feeling like this?” she asked him huskily.

He moved around the bed and held her, feeling her tremble in his arms.

“Ella.” He said softly. “What are you really afraid of?” he whispered.

She shook some more.

“It was dark.” She said quietly. “I don’t want to be back in the dark.”

“You’re safe here with me it’s just a memory.” He whispered.

She sighed against him.

“He kept me in a basement.” She told him. “It was cold. I hate feeling cold.”

Roman reached for the cover and pulled it around her. He rubbed her arms before placing his arms around her again.

“See you are warm and safe. It’s just a memory.” He said to her, struggling to keep emotion out of his voice.

“He would sit with me sometimes and tell me about his brother.” She murmured. “I hated the person who killed his brother because he was the reason I was there.”

Roman closed his eyes for a moment as her words hit him.

“And what then?” he asked.

“He called me Beth so I became Beth. I forgot all about here.” She said tears falling down her face.

He held her in his arms feeling her shaking.

“It’s ok.” he said. “You are safe now.” He whispered.

She looked at him.

“I’m not. He is still there,” she told him.

“Ella, I promise you I will not let him hurt you again.” He murmured.

She shook and collapsed against him sobbing.

“Please.” He whispered. “Ella please.”

“I can’t Roman.” She murmured in-between sobs. “Don’t you see? How many more times will this keep happening to us? How many more are out there because of something in your past?”

“Ella I promise you this is over. I won’t let anybody or anything hurt us ever again.” He whispered.

She shook her head.

“It’s over.” She whispered.

He pulled away and looked at her.

“You can’t mean that.” He said shocked.

She nodded.

“It’s over.” She said in a stronger voice.

He stood and caught hold of the clothes he’d pulled out and moved into the en suite to pull them on. When he came out she had moved off the bed and had left the bedroom. He sighed when he saw the eternity ring left on the bedside cabinet. He walked over and picked it up holding it between his fingers remembering why he’d bought her it and when he’d first placed it on her finger. He put it back and moved out of the bedroom.

Chapter 29

Ella packed her bags and hid them in the back of the wardrobe. She moved down the stairs and saw Roman coming in through the front door. He had spent the last two nights sleeping at Miles, leaving long after the kids were in bed.

“Sorry I thought you’d be out.” He murmured.

She looked at him.

“Nic is picking up the kids then they are going over to Aden’s and Belle’s for their tea.” She murmured in explanation.

“I need to grab some things.” He said.

She moved towards the lounge.

“There is some post for you in the study.” She told him quickly.

He nodded moving into the other room and picking up the envelopes. He went through them and set aside the bills from the normal junk mail. He went into the lounge to find she had gone out the back. He sighed and then went up the stairs into the bedroom. He saw that she had changed the bedding and moved things around the room. He went over to his chest of drawers to pull out some T-shirts when he saw the envelope she had placed on top. He opened it and found the dog tags with the eternity ring. He gasped at what this meant and pushed the drawer shut with a bang as he lost his temper.

He ran down the stairs and out the back.

“What do you mean by this?” he shouted at her. “If you really are ending us at least do it to my face.” He added with a snarl.

She looked him in the eyes.

“We’re already over or are you too stupid to work that one out.”

“I may not have a degree like you but don’t insult my intelligence.” He snarled once more and stepped forward.

“I don’t have a degree.” She said softly.

“What happened?” he asked.

“I lost my family remember.” She pointed out. “I didn’t find studying easy after that.”

She turned away and moved towards the orchard.

“El.” He called.

She turned and looked at him.

“I put the envelope in my jewellery box Roman so whoever moved it so you could find it knows that you are sleeping at Miles place.” She smiled sadly. “And there was something with them so someone is going through my things and I’m not happy.”

“El?” he questioned.

She looked up.

“The Polaroid photo of Gabriel. I wanted to look at it again, so it was with the tags and the ring. I don’t know why they would put it, where did you find that?”

“In with my T Shirts.” He told her.

She nodded.

He watched as she pressed a hand to the small of her back.

“Hey.” He said softy.

She nodded and he moved to stand behind her before giving her a back rub. She sighed and pressed against his hand.

“More?” he asked after a moment.

She nodded again.

“Just a touch lower.” She instructed.

He tucked the envelope in his pocket and moved to press harder and lower on her back, just where it was aching, He heard her moan and bit back a chuckle.

“Perfect. Thank you.” She said softly.

“Bags packed?” he murmured the question.

“Yes.” She grinned.

“We should sort out baby stuff shouldn’t we.” He suggested.

“Just keep massaging for the moment.” She grouched.

“Why are you mad at me? I didn’t go through your stuff.”

“Because it could be your fault I’m pregnant and I remember saying that I didn’t want any more kids.” She mumbled.

He laughed.

“It is my fault. I am the dad.” He told her.

She sighed.

“I think you are too.” She said with a sigh. “I mean look at the evidence.”

“This is going to be good isn’t it?” he murmured.

She chuckled.

“5 times for Sophie and Georgie.”

“Really?” he asked. “Oh, Calvin Klein.” He murmured with a grin. “That was hot.” He added remembering.

She turned her head and glared at him.

“Well it was.” He defended. “It’s right up there with the Sand Dunes and that time in your apartment when you cut your foot.”

She laughed at him.

“Memorise them did you?” she asked.

“Sort off. Like my own personal porno flick.”

“Roman!” she gasped in shock.

“Well I am a man.” He muttered defensively. “I’m sure if you found a stash of magazines you’d be upset.”

She turned around and glared at him.

“You were saying?” he changed the subject back.

“Twice for Meggy, once for Sammy and four times for this one.” She said in a quiet voice.

He took hold of her hand and led her over to the bench and sat down pulling her on to his lap.

“I’m..” she began.

“You’re perfect.” He grinned.

He wrapped his arms around her and she leant against him.

“This doesn’t change anything.” She warned him.

“I know.” He smiled. “I’m simply giving you a hug.”

He pressed a kiss to her lips.

“And anytime you want to tell me about Gabriel I’m listening.” He added in a soft tone of voice.

She looked at him.

“Danni said I should go find her.” she told him.

“And you want too but all this Elliot stuff is stopping you.” He said. “I understand now.”

“I’m sorry.” She sighed.

“It’s ok.” he murmured pressing his lips to her forehead.

She pulled back and looked at him.

“Magazines?” she asked.

He chuckled.

“I admit to having had some in the past.” He admitted slowly. “I got rid of them before you moved in.”

She smiled.

“Was that the correct answer?” he asked her.

She nodded.

He placed his finger under her chin and tilted her head so he could look in her eyes.

“I can’t tell you how much you turn me on.” He said softly. “And yes I think about all the times we are together sometimes.”

She blushed but continued to meet his gaze.

“And I love the way you want me. And all the times we make love. I can’t get enough of you but most of all I love being able to hold you like this. And I love when we hold hands and kiss. So I don’t want us to be over El, I don’t want to lose this.” He murmured.

She looked deep into his eyes.

“I love you too Roman, I’m always going to love you. I love making love to you and holding hands with you and kissing and snuggling.” She murmured. “I can’t imagine not doing that for the rest of our lives. When we are apart it feels so wrong.”

He nodded slowly.

“But.” She began.

He sucked in a sharp breath and waited.

“It’s too hard to be here.” She finished as though she was going to say something else..

“What are you saying El?” he asked her.

She looked at him some more.

“I’m saying that this is it I can’t have you in my home. I can’t let myself fall back into the same routine with you. We are over Roman. We need to move on separately from each other.” She eased out of his arms.

“Can I have the envelope please.” She asked him.

He looked at her for a long moment before standing up and putting his hand in his pocket.

“On second thoughts I think I’ll keep this.” He told her. “Because if we are really over they won’t mean anything to you.”

She gasped at the cruelty of his words before turning and heading back down the garden. He watched her go and moved back into the house. He stormed up the stairs, taking the steps two at a time, and then into the bedroom puling out a bag to put some clothes in. On an impulse he moved over to her dresser and looked in her jewellery box.

“What are you looking for?” she asked him.

“Why you would have these things in an envelope with her picture.” He told her.

He picked out the rest of the envelopes.

“Are you planning on leaving us?” he asked.

“That is none of your business. You shouldn’t be looking in there.” She gasped.

“Ella?” he turned to her. “What the hell is going through your mind?” he asked

“Nothing. Give me the letters back.” She muttered moving over to him.

He went through them.

“This one has my name on. I think I’ll open it.” He told her.

She moved quickly trying to snatch it out of his hands.

He opened the envelope and started to read.

“My god Ella.” He gasped. “This is just cruel. How could you do this to us?”

“Roman it’s not what you think.” She murmured.

“Tell me that again when I don’t have the proof in my own hands. You pushed me away deliberately, telling me we were over when it was fake.” He groaned. “To accomplish what?”

“To make him think that there is no point him coming after the kids because you’ve moved out.” She said lifting her chin up and looking at him.

“And the goodbye letters?” He sneered.

She closed her eyes and swallowed the lump in her throat.

“In case something went wrong.” She trailed off her hand resting on her belly. “Don’t try and tell me that everything is alright with this pregnancy because I know differently.”

He sank down on to the bed.

“I can’t believe you just put me through the past two days.” He said.

“Roman.” She said softly.

“No. Ella what you did was cruel.” He shook his head.

“Yes.” She said. “But I did it to protect my family.”

She turned and moved away from him.

“Ella.” He called when she had reached the door.

She turned and looked at him.

“Who else knew?” he murmured.

“Miles and Jacko.” She answered.

“So my friends turned on me too.” He said bitterly.

She shook her head.

“No they were taking care of you. I made them promise..” she stopped and pressed a hand to her belly.

He stood and started walking towards her.

“Promise that if you weren’t ok they would tell you what my plan was.” She gasped out.

“Ella?” he asked.

“I think that was a contraction.” She told him.

“Now?” he asked.

“I need to lay down.” She told him.

“Hospital.” He told her.

She shook her head.

“I need to know whether it was a braxton hicks or the real thing.” She murmured.

He moved the stuff off the bed and helped her over to it. She lay down moving the pillows.

He sat next to her.

“You are a b*tch El.” He told her.

She caught hold of his hand and felt him squeeze hers. He moved until her was lying next to her on the bed and she pulled his arms around her. She felt his breath ruffle her hair as he sighed and she sighed a slow tear easing from her eyes.

“Ella.” He whispered.

She turned her head and kissed him.

“Oh God Ella.” He sighed against her lips.

She put her arms around him and kissed him again.

“I had to do something. He tried to get to Danni.” She said against his lips.

He kissed her again.

“I will take care of us ok.” he murmured and held her.

She sank against him.

“They have stopped.” She murmured.

He rubbed his hand over her swollen belly.

“Really?” he asked.

She nodded and turned on her side to be more comfortable.

He moved on the bed wrapping his arms around her.

They lay like that for a long time until she fell asleep. He pulled the envelope out of his pocket and took the eternity ring out of it and rubbing his finger around the platinum circle he put it slowly on her finger.

Archived