Forgotten Truths

Guest WYN100

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

***PART TEN

Peter guided the car with determined expertise through some busy Yabbie Creek traffic, his mind still churning over the light which had switched on in his mind relating to the Ross murder.

Penn Graham – PENN GRAHAM – the name had been like an unscratchable itch in the first part of addressing this whole Ross murder situation, but now he truly felt he had a ‘handle’ – direction-impetus, or whatever the en vogue phrase may be on where he was going with it.

What he unfortunately WASN’T aware of was the car that had maintained its discreet vigil behind him in the traffic queue and which – as he parked outside the town hall in which he hoped to find Penn still ensconced –glided past and eased into a spot several yards further along on the opposite pavement,

Accessing the hall through the stage door he cast his eyes around before spotting Penn donning a leather jacket, apparently in the act of leaving.

“Mr Graham !” he called across.

Looking up with his customary inscrutable features inevitably restored, he responded “Inspector , I’ve said everything I know – or DON’T know - about this so-called murder to your local Yin and Yan – can’t help you any further, I’m afraid..”

Walking steadily towards him, Peter emitted a short, mirthless laugh – “Well perhaps there IS Mr Graham - let me ask you just one question –what exactly does the name Zoe McAllister mean to you ?..” The question had obviously shaken Penn’s equilibrium as he struggled for an answer – Peter’s too may well have been disturbed had he known that outside, two figures had dismounted from the car that had been following him and were making their way across towards his own vehicle….

“Well that’s just GREAT isn’t it !!” Aiden barked, slamming his fist against the side of the van’s wardrobe to emphasize his ire.

Nicole had been sitting quietly since Belle’s untimely appearance – undoubtedly pleased inside at the way events had played out, but guarding squarely against any outward show of triumphalism that would have surely risked provoking Aiden in a way she didn’t wish or intend to.

Now though she rose slowly, and slipped her arm gently round his shoulder , saying “Why don’t you just sit down a minute Aiden ? Then you can calm down a tad – the worst thing would be to go charging after Belle in a state, wouldn’t it ! Look , she’ll realize what she saw when she thinks about it, and if not – well….”

Easing herself past the dividing screen in the van, she squeezed Aiden’s hand and giving a meaningful shrug before slipping on her t-shirt and jogging bottoms . Aiden sat and watched as she did , his mind drifting away from Belle and onto the partial view in front of him . Times with Nicole had certainly been good, he mused- his overcrowded see-saw brain taking another lurch as she sat down beside him, saying nothing but again squeezing his hand.

Feeling distinctly calmer already he squeezed back, enjoying her unique aroma and eventually saying “ Look Nic, I …..” Placing a finger on his lips, she placed a slow, tender kiss on his cheek before he – as she’d hoped –responded with a kiss full and slow on the lips. Her heart thumped with the success and enjoyment of the moment – until there came a pounding at the van door and the high screech that was Colleen Smart’s voice rudely assailed their ears. Clearly never having completed her intended journey to work at the diner they hastily parted from their clinch as the door flew back and the piercing tones declared “ Quick, oh my Lord quick, it’s Belle !!..”

“Colleen, wha…”

“What’s the matt…”

..from Aiden and Nicole..

“Oh my it’s orrrful – she’s collapsed – the ambulance is on the way…!!”

The disturbed see-saw of Aiden’s current state of mind suddenly took another sharp lilt……

Amanda stretched luxuriously into the leather-backed chair in the office of ‘Liam’s Lounge’ Her unspoken n but cautionary warnings to the owner of that establishment had seen him reluctantly sign over a share of it to her, and now she was intent on ferreting out exactly what had been going on behind the scenes.

She could tell Liam was edgy and apprehensive and the mental jigsaw of as to why clicked more and more pieces into place as she leafed

through various documents in the desk drawers. She was interrupted only by numerous phone calls – some from suppliers, some enquiries about the club, but annoyingly four calls which came up as ‘unknown number’, and all of which hung up as soon as they heard her voice.

Having completed her sweep of the drawers after the fourth such call she sat back, pursed her ruby-decorated lips , and- on a hunch, calculated that on this occasion two and two may indeed equal a very important four. Having called Liam in he coughed nervously and with a short, mirthless laugh aske d “So…how you settling in….pard’ner ?”

With an element of cat teasing mouse she replied “ Well… you know how you’ve had problems squ aring the books like Roman said…”

He nodded..

“ ..I think I’ve stumbled on just what-and WHO may be causing the difficulties…!”

While trusting his face not to convey his inner feelings, Liam’s bloodstream was churning like an embryonic hurricaine….

• 2 weeks later...

**PART ELEVEN

Penn had quickly recovered his innate composure following the initial jolt of Peter’s initial question, and was now attempting to move into his wordsmith mode, albeit one modified by the “new” image he’d been presenting to the Bay over the last 18 months or so.

“Zoe McAllister…yes I do remember something about a stalker taking you a year or more to crack a case…”

Peter maintained an even stare.

“Mr Graham, I’m aware you cultivated a reputation for wordplay but let me assure you that isn’t going to wash with me. I know for a fact you had , shall we say, a ‘history’ with Zoe McAllister – she caused chaos and misery in Summer Bay and –by all accounts- for a period of time at least, you did exactly the same. Now I

‘m faced with two very similar ‘

twos’ and it’s my duty, business and full firm intention to discover what kind of a ‘four’ they add up to – so. I’m just clueing you in – ok !”

“Is that a threat, Inspector ?”

Lips upturned into a dry but meaningful half-smile, Peter responded “Oh no Mr Graham, I don’t deal in threats, merely results , be sure of that.“ His warning duly served, he left the stage area, heading to the short flight of stairs that led to the outer door. Had he chosen to stop at any point to twist his neck round the thick drape curtains he’d have seen Penn making and ending a short, terse mobile phone call. And- had he possessed the unattainable gift of 20-20 foresight, he’d have known that the car towards which he was heading wasn’t quite in the pristine mechanical condition in which he’d left it….

Sid Walker flicked through the documents on his clipboard with a perplexed expression on his face before turning back towards the bed.

“Belle – remind me about this place you went to – no chemotherapy or conventional medications, right…?”

Shaking her head, she confirmed “No, just meditation, herbal therapies and a good healthy diet…”

The doctor again shook his head and said ”Well as far as I can possibly work out, your collapse at the caravan park was down to stress , a degree of exhaustion and low iron in your blood –personally I‘d suggest a good juicy steak – but I don‘t guess that fits into the regime, does it !!”

Belle smiled weakly, shaking her head “ Not quite, no !”

“On the stress side of things, has there been any trouble or anything very emotional going on ?”

Belle hesitated briefly before pushing her matted hair to one side and replying “Uh no-nothing special….”

Sid assumed his patented “strict doctor” face and went on , pointing his pencil in her direction , “Well mind you keep it that way, lady !”

Smiling again she stretched back on her pillow as Sid, turning for the door, encountered an arriving Aiden..

“Doc I just need a word with Belle…”

“Uh Aiden, I DON’T think that’s such a good idea…”

But Belle called across “No that’s alright doctor, I don’t mind seeing him..”

Sid assumed an even more menacing version of THAT expression, and the multi-tasking pencil again came into play, this time jabbing Aiden meaningfully in the chest, accompanied by “Right, if she says it’s ok – but just TWO MINUTES, right !”

Aiden smiled, raising his thumb as he passed “Sure thing doc, you got it !”

There was an awkward silence as he shuffled apprehensively towards Belle‘s bedside, before he coughed and said a little hoarsely “ Look Belle, I know this may not be the best time and all, but I thought it only fair to tell you straight away I’ve made a REALLY big decision….”

Still without speaking, Belle pulled herself up in the bed, ears well and truly pricked up……..

Morag’s voice was characteristically sharp “So Constable Watson, it would appear you’ve brought my client here under severely false pretences ! Roping off his house, searching every private nook and cranny and detaining he and I on this living room while you and your investigation team discover absolutely NOTHING !!”

Watson shifted uncomfortably from one foot to another – “Well Judge Bellingham we were in receipt of some very convincing information, and you will admit a suspect package was found in Mr Palmer’s possession that we WILL be discussing later….!”

Palmer himself chimed in “Look Constable without wishing to sound pompous or anything but I’m a respected member of this community and t he very thought of me using ….marijuana…or whatever it is you’re claiming is, well – frankly ludicrous ! I mean, have you ever actually SEEN me staggering around the Bay under the influence ! ..the very thought is just, well- NONSENSE !!”

Watson regained a little of her professional belligerence “Mr Palmer I’m sure neither you or I would expect illegal substance users to display it QUITE that obviously – home consumption accounts for 95 per cent of such use…”

Morag interjected “ But Constable , if what we’ve perceived this afternoon you haven’t actually FOUND anything in Mr Palmer’s HOME, now have you…!”

She tailed off as Junior Constable Steve O’Hara emerged from the side of the house, whispered in Watson’s ear, after which she turned back to the sofa, her face set gravely as she enquired “Mr Palmer, you’re aware of course that you have three plants on the upper ledge in your conservatory ?”

A nod from him…

“Then would you care to explain why one of them is a near full grown cannabis plant !!”

Cue two identically shocked expressions from the sofa area…..

• 3 weeks later...

***PART TWELVE

“SO…..he’s….in…love…with….HER !!” Nicole was articulating her frustrations by rhythmically ripping up the card that Aiden had given her on her last birthday.

Cynically re-reciting the penned greeting that now lay among the shreds she intoned “ To a very SPECIAL girl – lots of LOVE, Aiden – kiss, kiss, kiss..”

Sweeping the remnants into the small bin in the corner of the caravan, she went on “ So how much is LOTS of love then eh, Aiden ? And how special is VERY special ? Obviously not special ENOUGH !!”

Nicole had quickly heard via the one-person grapevine that is Colleen Smart of Aiden’s hospital bedside declaration of love for Belle and her almost immediate acceptance of it plus the couple’s return to the house where less than a week previously she herself had been ‘living with’ him.

True, Colleen had built the narration into something resembling a crescendo plotline from an American soap like ‘Days of our Lives’ she occasionally dabbled with on the Drama Channel, but the basic truth remained that he was there with her rather than here with him and that was something she just couldn’t settle to.

Grabbing another card from the envelope in her suitcase she looked at her reflection in the mirror and again began tearing, this time saying as she did “He loves her – he loves her NOT – he loves her ..” and with one final huge rip “…he loves her NOT !!” And with a smile of true mischief “And so Nicole – you know what you have to do !”

The fightback had begun……

“Look hun, you think it’s a good deal, that’s fine by me !”

Peter edged his way out of a junction into a steady flow of traffic mildly put out ay having to use his hands-free carphone – unlike many of the “ do as I say, not as I do” motor-crime obsessed police contingent, he did like to set the best example wherever possible = “ Babe I’ve TOLD you I don’t like to talk in the car – tell me about Liam and this big discovery of yours tonight, ok ! Yes, love you too !” He curled his shoulders affectionately as he ended the call – Amanda had without doubt been that missing piece in his life – helping to make him the man he wanted to be, and who made the thought of coming home at night a pleasure rather than a chore or an implosion of exhaustion. Frowning mildly as the automatic transmission creaked a little when he depressed the brake he gave the instinctive tut of any driver left first in the queue as the traffic lights turned red. His mind switching instinctively to the Penn Graham situation, attempting to join the dots as the car finally pulled away from the lights and slowly over the brow of a hill. Mind still working overtime he pumped the brake on spotting a car about to emerge from a small side-street on the left. But, with heart hurtling upwards to his mouth in a split-second and stomach performing a series of violent forward lurches, he realized horror-struck that the brakes weren’t engaging, and the emerging car containing a young mother and two children was drawing closer by the second…..

Suspecting darkly and with no little justification that Roman had at least been the catalyst behind Amanda’s whirlwind incursion into ‘Liam’s Lounge’, he was short of a conversational and agendaless male sounding board with whom to confidentially share views on what could accurately be described as his current plight. And so it was he’d been very glad to see Romeo enter ten minutes earlier, propel him away from one of the giant plasma X-box screens and now, having furnished him with a free strawberry smoothie, sat opposite him, holding forth, and only pausing on.. “ so you see, she had me over a barrel, didn’t she – I had to sell half, or…..”

Enjoying the smoothie, Romeo suddenly realized he was being expected to say something..

Gulping slightly, he replied “Well, I’d say you definitely need someone on your side – tackling an empowered lady is NOT an easy task…!!”

“Yes, but where’s something like THAT going to come from..they seem to have got me hemmed in on all sides ! Anyway shouldn’t you be off asking an audience or something…!”

“Oh yadda yadda , hysterical, haven’t heard that one before” yawned Romeo, clutching his ribs and rolling his eyes.

“Do excuse , Mr TV star laughed Liam, hearing the club doorbell ring and wandering over to answer. As he did, a step back became necessary as he heard “ Hey lover, how goes it ! I hear you’ve a spot of bother with a Ms Amanda Baker. Just as well I haven’t eaten yet – she’ll do fine for breakfast !!”

Liam’s fervent wish had been answered – Bianca was back in town !!

• 4 weeks later...

PART THIRTEEN

“Careful sir, don’t try to talk..”

The paramedic was leaning over Peter whose normally well-presented blond hair was now matted with perspiration and marked by a trickle of blood emanating from just behind his right ear. Ignoring the paramedic’s entreaty he attempted to enquire again about the young family in the other car , but even as he spoke, his eyes blurred, limbs began to weaken and he drifted off – his body remaining at the scene –his mind and consciousness taking a – hopefully temporary- leave of absence……

The cloudy blur surrounding him seemed hauntingly familiar, but as Peter struggled to solidify the shapes and colours slowly developing around him, he blinked and heard a voice that brought real life streaming reassuringly back – “You’ve been very lucky Inspector !”

Coughing a little as the surroundings became clearer second by second, he replied weakly “ Make that DETECTIVE Inspector if you DON’T mind Doctor ! “, smiling and coughing again as , with a gush of high-octane relief he recognized the figure of Sid Walker at his bedside. “Uh, we’ve given you a high dose of intravenous

Painkillers – that would explain any fuzziness or wooziness you may be feeling – you took quite a crunch in that car of yours back there ! “

Relief was already beginning to swarm across Peter albeit through a still cloudy mind ..”So what’s the damage then, Doc !” he enquired..

Sid placed his noteboard on the bed, gave a characteristically doctor-style frown and replied in appropriately grave tones “ Well…moderate concussion, some nasty bruising and a pulled tendon in your shoulder, so I think…”

“I know, I know, broke in Peter smiling “ ..as the script normally goes, you think you’d like to keep me in overnight for observation…!”

But even as Sid smilingly prepared to affirm, cold harsh shards of reality were beginning to pierce Peter’s re-awakening consciousness – the crash – the advancing sidestreet car – he called urgently to the figure alongside him “Sid – the other family – what the hell happened to the other family !!”

Dr Walker shifted uneasily from one foot to the other, at that moment genuinely wishing that particular question had remained unasked…

“Oh go on Belle, join the technological era !” she told herself laughingly. Her lack of internet acumen had been the subject of much mirth at the ladies’ dinner at Irene’s the previous evening. Held to celebrate the return of Bianca to the Bay, she’d had to admit that due to her recent illness flare-up and the lack of immediate and available internet access she’d barely heard of Facebook while mention of Twitter had brought forth the regulation and wine-fuelled joke for such situations about conversing birds .

With Aiden having departed to work at the Marina, she sat down at the computer, and pressed each key somewhat as if it was an electric fence. She eventually found the Google toolbar and tapped in ‘Facebook’ Choosing the first of the usual million plus options, the screen alighted on Aiden’s page- him having not logged out on his previous visit.

Feeling as lost as an Australian tourist accidentally stranded alone in the capital of Uzbekistan, she prodded nervously at the keys in search of an ‘escape’ button or something similar.

She succeeded only though in scrolling down through and into Aiden’s messages. Noticing ‘Nicole –eight hours ago

‘ in the top subject line, she wavered the cursor over the’

‘no subject’, leant forward and tentatively pressed, revealing “REALLY enjoyed last night-catch up soon Nic xx ‘ followed by a winking smiley.

Belle sat bolt upright in the computer chair, her mind gripped by a swirl of old ghosts….

Ruby wiped her brow for the second or third time that morning. Looking curiously into the mirror, she tried hard to discern if there was any obvious sign of why she was feeling so hot on what was a cool-ish day and the aircon had already clicked on as it was programmed to every morning throughout the summer months. Trying to dismiss it from her mind she pinched the skin at her waist and frowned . “Too fat..” she murmured. She’d secretly escalated in concern about her shape since one of a biker gang entering the Surf club had coincided

with her exiting at the same time and

had brusquely barked “Out of the way, pudding !” Now, patently inaccurate as the comment was and loutish as the mouth was from which it came, Ruby had chewed it over mentally for a long period of time and become effectively obsessed with her body shape.

Today though she was more concerned with the nagging body symptoms like her temperature and – as she grabbed a slimming magazine and flopped on the sofa , the increased rate at which her heart was pumping. Her thoughts racing quicker she told herself it COULDN’T be those slimming pills she bought off the internet – COU LD it ? they’d SEEMED to be completely genuine and she was no fool, she told herself. AND , she hadn’t told Charlie or anyone- after all it WASN’T their business, was it !! Putting her hand to her brow again, the heart-rate quickened still further and just as she felt a bad headache developing, she slipped to the floor, all went blank around her and – with no-one else currently I n the Beach House, she lay – unconscious– and alone…

Archived