Forgotten Truths

Guest WYN100

THANKS FOR REPLYING , REALLY APPRECIATED !! :)

### PART EIGHTEEN

“So Doctor, tell me – just how bad is it !!”

An agitated John Palmer had steered Dr West into the corner the second he’d appeared and offered the first opportunity to get an update on his son’s condition.

Seeming a little puzzled by Palmer’s conspiratorial approach, West shuffled his papers before replying “Well he’s not bad at all …” and interrupted John’s sigh of relief by continuing “ in fact not bad at ALL !” Brow crinkling to succeed his beam of relief, he shot back “ Uh – what EXACTLY are you driving at there doc – shouldn’t this be GOOD news for us all !”

“Oh indeed..” came the reply, but there are certain inconsistencies which bothered me and I’ve been looking into..”

“Go on….”

“Well –all we’ve been able to find are a few cuts and bruises…” –another smile from Palmer “but..” raising a cautionary finger “that’s entirely inconsistent with any similar auto collision injury we’ve seen in the past, and also the attending police officer claims he has a witness that heard the girl TELLING Trey when to jump, AND has rung the secure unit where the gymnastics instructor says their classes HAVE included instruction on how to fall as safely as possible in case they slip from wallbars, climbing ropes etc…..”

Palmer’s previously elevated jaw headed south with understandable alacrity as he enquired weakly “ So you’re saying he jumped out….DELIBERATELY !!!..but why…” West attempted a cautionary “Well I only …..” –but Palmer’s bewilderment had quickly turned to anger as he rounded Trey’s bed and –grabbing one lapel of his son’s pyjamas, pulled him forward and growled “So what the hell ARE you up to, you mongrel !!!” By now West had joined the duo and with an admonishing “ Mr Palmer !!” the pair were separated. As they were, Trey recovered his composure before sneering “Thanks for your tender concern daddy DEAREST – and I may as well tell you NOW –when I get through this, you’re getting slapped with a charge for DANGEROUS DRIVING !!“

As Palmer stood rooted to the spot –thoughts of his driving speed and Morag’s warnings about it on leaving the police station and the proximity or otherwise of speed cameras where he’d slowed down could end up making this slightly more perturbing than one of his son’s regular grandstanding threats…….

“You’re DOING the right thing !! “ –Aiden repeated the mantra as he gunned the car towards home. Belle had been sick , was recovering, and had already had the issue of Nicole had been far too ‘in her face’ already.

And as for Nicole -well all she’d done was to try and spike his relationship. So- if she wanted to go off with that Robbie Gorton guy, that’s up to HER entirely !!”

As he pulled up at a set of traffic lights, so descended his “Who EXACTLY are you trying to convince !” moment, abd as the lights slipped through red and amber to green he swung a 90 degree left turn back in the direction of the surf club rather than heading straight on home.

More phrases thin on substance but long on fragile hope ran through his mind – Belle would understand – she wouldn’t want Nicole in any trouble …etc etc..

By the time he reached the Surf Club once again even he’d begun to doubt the force of his own paper-thin PR and after getting the address of the notorious Gortons so it was that he was now headed along the freeway towards Reefton lakes, pushing thoughts of the relative morality of it all to one side of his mind under the heading ‘pending’.

Consulting the information Alf had rather querulously given him, he settled on quite an imposing dwelling towards the end of a road that sloped gently down towards the coast. Considering it wiser to park his car on the street he passed cautiously through opeb metal gates leading up to a wide, gravel-strewn drive. However within seconds of doing so the gates snapped automatically shut behind him and as if from nowhere he was faced by a tall, bemuscled youth of around 20, standing ten or so feet away and barerly restraining a slavering rotweiler – suddenly it came back to him that the option he’d put on hold of returning straight home to Belle was looking a technicolour-splashed more attractive one……..

If Trey Palmer had been hoping to pursue his questionable claim for justice via Charlie Buckton then he was likely to be facing a considerable delay.

Having been informed of Ruby’s plight via the Emergency Services Information Network, and had set off immediately to assess the situation and see what she could do to help. Pulse pumping like a rising aeroplane engine, she resolved try and find a way round and maybe through the freeway jam by mounting a steep side road that led to the very first turnoff before the backlog began. The hill was a narrow two-lane road surrounded by a drop into adjoining parkland and offered little if any scope for overtaking. But, as she continued what was a long incline, she became aware of being tailgated by a large black car. Tutting with exasperation she attempted to accelerate but to no avail as the car behind put on speed and in doing so gave a very deliberate shunt to her right rear wing. Eyes flashing straight to the driving mirror she cried “You idiots !!, what the hell !!!” , and attempted to speed clear .It was however the hardest spot on the hill to do so as she was approaching a gentle but distinct bend but as she momentarily hesitated her pursuers took their moment to strike, this time delivering an even more thunderous assault to the rear of her vehicle causing it to splay through the robust but hardly immovable fencing and pirouette erratically into the farmland.

“Shocking standard of driving these days, isn’t it guys ! “ emitted from the rear of the dark car as it proceeded – to the initiated, the voice would have had a very familiar ring …..

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

******PART NINTEEN

Aiden’s predicament gave little room for manoeuvre. The most tenuous of reasons for being at the Gorton house, a closed –probably locked gate behind him, and juse yards ahead a guy whose family he’d never actually heard of before that day. In addition the guy was partnered by a rotweiler whose lip-slavering appeared to be growing increasingly territorial with each second that passed.

Breathing in, Aiden felt a reality check of nostalgic romance shower over him. In the league of ‘nowhere that people would rather be’ at any given moment , he felt his desire to be alongside Belle on their sofa right there and then would have smashed straight in at number one !

Strengthened by that desire he opted to make the first gambit “ Hey mate, how’s it going !” The guy stood , chewing gum and looking Aiden evenly in the eye. After two or three minutes he spoke in a low rusty voice “First of all, as far as I’m aware, you’re NOT my mate – I didn’t invite you here…my kid brother didn’t invite you here, and I’m all but certain my main man Duke here didn’t invite you..” –the dog.gave a low growl of affirmation as Aiden found himself being steadily backed towards a small outhouse where he could visualize himself languishing in for quite some time – and with no-one knowing he was actually at the house in the first place !

Quickly weighing up the severely limited range of options open to him he came up with a depressingly thin bottom line - - until - - his salvation arrived in the highly unexpected shape of - -a milkman’s truck.

The driver was clearly in the habit of punching in the entry code outside, and with the gates having flown open the vehicle had mercifully steered a gentle path between Aiden on the one side and the elder Gorton plus the less than endearing Duke on the other. Needing no second bidding, Aiden dodged through the gate and to his happily nearby car amidst a volley of Hoxton abuse. He looked up to see the furiously twisted faces of man and dog alike – the line “..you mongrel-I’ll get you – and I mean it – I‘ve got your rego number now !!!” ringing in his ears as he sped the vehicle away…..

The air ambulance had wheeled into action in the skies over the Bay directly the alarm had been received from the jammed freeway. Paramedics Greg Wise and Neil Green had familiarized themselves with the details of Ruby’s plight and the requisite oxygen and insulin were packed and waiting. Pilot Greg’s trained eye had already spotted the best place to set down amidst the traffic jungle, but as colleague Neil scanned the landscape on approach, he suddenly gave a “WHOOAH” and pointed Greg urgently to their onboard deep surveillance camera , on which he observed Charlie Buckton’s car lurching unsteadily down into the farmer’s field.

Split priorities flicked across their minds for only the briefest fragment of time, and so it was they’d landed in the field, found a car significantly the worse for wear-though it had NOT burst spectacularly into flames as all cars seem to in such situations on American cop shows - but a Sergeant miraculously with only cuts abd bruises to show for her ordeal. “Thank you guys SO much !!” she gasped while scrambling into the back of the helicopter “ I can’t IMAGINE who the idiot was that shunted me though !”

“Nay be able to help you there “ offered Neil , turning round in his seat, “ We’ve had our observation-cam on the whole time since we left and I’d bet my boots it’ll have picked up their rego !”

“Oh that would be BRILLIANT” responded Charlie “, but tell me how did you two guys happen to be up in the first place….”

Greg’s voice game back, a little muted by the whirr of the propellers above but more than stark in their content “Heading to a boxed in ambo on the freeway –young girl, apparently it doesn’t look too good..”

Charlie’s hand shot to her mouth in needlessly guilty recrimination as her head started to pound “Oh my –Ruby !!!”

Liam and Bianca leant on the bar counter while Detective Sergeant Sinclair and his colleague worked their way methodically through the ‘Lounge’

“This is just ABSURD !!” complained Bianca” – “You’ve been clean for at least five years now- and haven’t they got anything BETTER to do !!!”

Liam was more phlegmatic “Hey chill babe – they’ve got their quotas and stuff to fill, and we both know there’s nothing to hide, right !”

“RIGHT !!” from Bianca as she banged her clenched fist on the counter to emphasize the point as they both managed a smile amid the tension .

It was tension that turned to concern and anguish as Liam addressed the newly re-appeared Sinclair. “So, all present and correct, Officer !”

“I’m afraid not Mr Murphy” came the shock reply – “I’ve discovered a suspect package behind one of the games screens and I’m going to have to ask you to come to the station for further questioning..”

“WHAT !!!” exploded Bianca – “this HAS to be a fit-up !!” Then, smiting her brow as if in sudden realization, went on “ OF COURSE - Amanda VALE !!! After today – policeman husband it all makes SENSE !!”

But, as Liam was starting to be manoeuvred away by the policeman his face assumed a questioning expression and –as if to suggest another suspect he jerked his thumb towards the far corner of the room where the chairs were being removed from the tables by a silent and shadowy…..Roman….

• 3 weeks later...

***PART TWENTY

The relationship between Tony and Rachel had been strained at best since the emergence the whole Alister Ross situation –what had been a happy, , relaxed family unit had now regressed into tense, terse exchanges, minimal interaction and the distinct feeling of a wall having appeared between them if not seemingly constructed of highest-grade brick, then certainly of the toughest teak .

Such situations always have a tipping point and this one came as they both reached for the car keys on the kitchen table at the identical moment, their heads meeting in a sharp crack followed by a loud and mutual ‘OUCH !!’ and very separate mutterings as they pulled apart of the “Look OUT =mind where you’re GOING can’t you !” variety, Tony thumped his hand against the wall and snapped “ Dammit I’ve had enough of this !”

“Enough of what…”

“You KNOW what !! Ever since this Alister….Ross or whatever his name is-was –first cropped up, we’ve been snapping and griping at each other – I STILL don’t know EXACTLY why you met him that night and I think Harry’s suffering with all the atmosphere – so come on, what exactly IS happening here.

And – as one participant in these kind of exchanges inevitably and untruthfully contributes, Rachel obliged with “It’s nothing, it’s fine – I don’t even know what you’re talking about !”

But Tony wasn’t letting go –“ Well it’s a funny kind of nothing from where I’M standing ! And, guiding her round to sit next to him on the sofa put a hand on both her shoulders, looked her straight in the eyes and said evenly “ Look Rache – weve got a great thing going here, right…”

She nodded slowly “ Great jobs, friends- and more than anything, the most bonza son anyone could ever hope for- we don’t want to throw all that away- or even risk it, now do we….”

A firm shake of the head this time.

“So..” he proceeded gently “…how about you tell me EVERYTHING – now !! – I never believed for one minute that you killed him, and nothing you could tell me could possibly alter how I feel about you so why not make it now to let go , shoot, whatever….”

One deep sigh and several moments of furrowed brow thinking later, she said “OK , but..” – adding a warning “ you’re NOT going to like everything you hear – and you have to SWEAR what I say WON’T go outside this room – to ANYONE – ever , ok !”

He nodded haltingly, but behind his creased brow churned a significant pool of concern at what may follow….

Irene heaved a heartfelt sigh as she flipped down her washcloth for the final time that day and finished folding the day’s tea-towels on the worktop.

It had been a gruelling afternoon with Colleen departing soon after the lunch rush with one of her ‘Funny turns’ while Leah had also left early to collect VJ after some kind of football injury at Summer Bay High. Irene had coped in her own indefatigable way, but was without doubt feeling the effects. Moving to the serving hatch ready to close up for the end of the day, she gave a double-take as she noticed a well-dressed man, perhaps in his early-to-mid fifties taking a sip from an espresso coffee.

“Oooh sorry darl’ she called across as he smiled back over at her.

“Just savouring your quality beans !” he said, tapping the side of his cup approvingly.

“well I sure DON’T want to distract you from that !’ came the reply – ‘I’ll carry on getting ready to leave- take your time !”.

But, as she reached for her coat, his voice could again be heard in pleasant enquiry “Well, you COULD always join me –only of course if you didn’t have anything pressing you needed to do…”

Irene’s ‘end of the day’ face lifted and brightened to be replaced by a beam of unexpected pleasure.

“Oooh, ah well, yes please, that would be very nice, thank you ! “

Making herself a traditional ‘flat white’she settled down to share a pleasant 40 minutes or so with the man -he was called Jim Swift, he was a travelling real estate broker and while she mentally admitted to herself much of it was sailing a little above her head, it was enjoyable to hear about properties, destinations and the rest of what he’d discussed. Indeed as she cleaned the cups, they both donned their coats to leave and she turned out the lights, Irene was reflecting on the most enjoyably relaxing evening she’d spent in many a long week !

She smilingly accepted his business card, entered her car and headed off to the Beach House.

He waved her off, placed an accompanying briefcase in the boot of his car and leant on the side wing momentarily.

Having drunk in the mid –evening and darkening sea view he extracted a flip-mobile phone from his pocket, punched a speed-dial number and after a short delay, spoke in low, direct tones to impart “Yes- it’s definitely her – she’s here, and I reckon it’s a goer…!”……….

Aiden had returned home with Thai takeaway for he and Belle following his traumatic experience at he Gortons,

It had been a manoeuvre which neccessitated him standing with his back against the outer wall of the food shop, eyes closed and taking deep breaths in and out. As a by-product he received a variety of looks from the passers-by ranging from slightly perplexed concern to ‘hand over the mouth’ finger-pointing.

Neither noticing nor in all probability caring about either reaction, with his mind as rebooted as far as he could possibly hope for, he flexed his eyes wide open , hopped into the car and swirled off at a brisk speed.

And so it was that after shared Duck Red Curry, Beef Pad Ga Prao and pineapple fritters the pair sat well-fed and happy on the sofa, her legs stretched in blissful serenity across his lap, while he wiped his mouth after finishing the final prawn cracker and elaborately screwing up the paper bag containing the plastic trays, forks and spoons they’d been using and observing with satisfaction “ Ah, isn’t it SOO much better doing it like this – no cooking, no washing up –just ENJOYING it !!”

“Mmm..” murmured Belle “ Well I don’t know what I did to deserve a treat like that but it was LOVELY !!” Twiddling her toes affectionately he replied “YOU don’t HAVE to do anything, because..” beckoning her ear closer and whispering into the approaching orifice “ i….love YOU !!”

Smiling radiantly, her forefinger tickled under his chin as she responded “ Well you’re not so bad YOURSELF Mister !!”, leaning forward to give him a kiss. As she did, her head remained nuzzled in on his shoulder, and with the food, the heat and the effects of their respective days had seen them drowsing off to a sleep that saw dusk slip silently down over the Bay and a number of hours of comfortable time-sharing between the two.

It seemed set to drift happily into the early hours until the phone bell –its blast seemingly made all the sharper and more intrusive by the previous reverie – fractured their mutual slumber, and of the yawningly disoriented duo, it was Belle who found the handset first, punched green button and responded “Mmm,,who, yes that’s right -..” –then with eyes widening, “She what !! – is she ok !!! ..” then handing the receiver to a by-now agog Aiden, saying disbelievingly “ It’s Sid … he says Nicole’s in the hospital…!!” As he gaped , the events of earlier in the day came sledgehammering back to him at high velocity….

• 2 weeks later...

###PART 21

Palmer stood triumphantly by his son’s bed – Trey uttering a disbelieving “ So you’re NOT pressing charges against him !!! – I can’t BELIEVE what I’m hearing !!”

With a hand gesture that might easily have had “ Over to you” spray-painted across it, a smiling Palmer played in the newly-arrived Constable Watson. She extended the theme “ No Trey, there’s no evidence of careless driving by your father and everything points towards a staged and deliberate jump-out by yourself in order to make problems for your father ,,…” She held her palm aloft sternly to head off the inevitable protest and continued unabated…”And before you mention the so-called evidence from your friend Kirsty Gallen either – we’re working on the theory that you both absconders from the secure unit - - - hatched the plot to frame Mr Palmer to possibly gain compensation or something similar I’m very confident when Dr West examines you next you’ll get a free pass out of here and straight back to the unit where we’ll b pursuing this charge.”

To the detached observer Trey’s reaction on receipt of the news seemed strangely quiet and phlegmatic.

Not so his father, chest fully puffed out and all but preening as he stood over his self- ostracised son and wagging a finger said “Now THAT’S a pleasure to hear the police getting it right on target“ - and , as he began to turn away, swivelling his head he fired back “ I’m telling you this – you’d….you’d – well you’d just better watch your step !!”

As he strutted away , radiating an air of ‘job done !” he’d have done well to mull over those final words to his son –watching his step may prove very pertinent to John Palmer in the days to come……

Sid Walker’s double-shift day was becoming increasingly fraught. Firstly there’d been all the issues surrounding the Peter Baker crash, then news that the air ambulance was close to the hospital landing strip with a critical case aboard – and now suddenly the unexpected thunderbolt of Nicole being rushed in.

His previous ‘history’ with her always passed an instinctive but brief cloud over his thoughts – but this had been professional, so every last shred of his acumen had clicked into gear when his pager had crackled her arrival ultimately…..

“Ooogh…!!” –his thoughts were unceremoniously upended as collided with a high-speed Aiden, propelling Belle hastily down the passage alongside him.

“ HEY – watch out mate !!”

“ Oh man sorry Sid – we just got a very quick message about Nicole being here, - what’s the score !!..”

“Well..” Sid replied slowly, brows furrowed “It’s a bit of a strange one. –“

“How so…..”

“Well – I’d call it a garbled tale at best- BUT –it seems to involve her getting bitten by a dog as she tried to climb SOME wall, SOMEwhere, and fell off it the other side – scraping the bite area and she’s possibly broken her little toe. She then got a lift, I believe with the guy who delivers soft drinks to the surf club, and he dropped her off here. We’ve done an x-ray and she’s on some intravenous antibiotics for the wound.- that’s about all I can tell you for now..”

One hand gripping to a fist, Aiden growled under his breath “Those mongrel Gortons !”

It went under Sid’s radar, but shooting him a searching glance, Belle said bluntly “What did you say..!” Holding a palm up in dismissal, he answered “ Oh, nothing, nothing, I was just feeling for her…” Turning to Sid, Belle asked, “ Can we go and see her…”

“Well, maybe just ten minutes – and ideally one at a time, ok…”

Instinctively wanting to exchange a word or two with Nicole over the whole Gorton debacle. Aiden opted to forgo the usual shuffling ‘um-ah-well-“ routine that’s usual on these occasions, saying – perhaps a shade TOO quickly “ Ah, I’d better go, I think, you know, what with…”- circling his hand vaguely as he forged away from the group and into her room. Observing that and hearing a pleasantly delighted “ Wow, Aiden, awesome !” greeting him as he went in . Belle’s face narrowed steadily as the renewed itch of frustratingly over-resilient problem again began to stir in the back of her mind….

Charlie could rarely if ever recall feeling as grateful to anyone as she did the trio currently standing in the hospital corridor alongside her. Romeo, Greg Wise and Neil Green had all played crucial roles in transporting Ruby from her quick-spiral descent into a potentially high-risk coma, and she kept wanting to let them know how much she appreciated it. She wandered individually between the three doling out hugs and gratitude in equal measure, while the guys to a man self-effacingly played down their roles even though Romeo had made the vital initial incursion into the Beach House, while the other two had not only spotted and rescued her from the as-yet-unexplained road shunt, but landed the helicopter with consummate skill on a tight freeway lay-by but swiftly relocated Ruby to the hospital. The initial report from Dr West had been encouraging – Ruby once again conscious and breathing properly, though the tests had indicated medication of some kind as a possible reason for her swift deterioration.

As Greg moved a little further to examine an alert on his Iphone, Charlie breathed out strongly enough to rustle the papers and fading public information leaflets on the adjacent noticeboard – “What a day, eh Romeo…!”

But any response from him was delayed as Greg headed back down the passage with a smile…”And your day just maybe could get even better….? I’m so glad your sister’s feeling better – AND – our aerial review tram have just sent me confirmation –AND ownership details of the car that shunted you…!” Charlie leant forward eagerly – a day that had this far included moments ranging from heavily ominous to near-desperate COULD be just about to take a distinctly more positive turn….. ….

• 3 weeks later...

***PART TWENTY-TWO

“Earth to Irene, come in Irene !” Leah playfully swatted her with a tea-towel, , all the time craning her neck curiously to look at the other woman’s face which had a faraway – but definitely contented look to it.

Returning to reality with a double take, Irene narrowly avoided sprinkling caster sugar over a shrimp risotto and , blinking in surprise, responded ”Oh, gee, sorry darl’, I was miles away !”

“Ye-e-s…” came back Leah – still suspicious, but where and who with, I’d like to know !”

Irene flirted for a moment with the well-used “Oh nothing…truly, don’t know what you mean etc etc..” routine employed by countless others before her, but in truth didn’t need a great deal of persuading and, beckoning Leah to sit down, , a conspiratorial deep breath and a “WELL…..” began a precise blow-by-blow account of the previous evening’s events .As Irene eventually went on to finish her shift and head home for the afternoon, she left behind her a fascinated Leah, but a Leah both excited and encouraged that her friend may again have an ‘interesting’ twist to her future.

Despite her mind instinctively attempting to pull hard on the mental handbrake, Irene herself couldn’t prevent similar thoughts leaking out and bringing an almost shy smile to her lips Since Lou DeBono had passed on she’d thrown herself into her work and those staying at the Beach House, with thoughts of romance firmly on the back burner.

BUT – it had been SUCH a pleasant hour – Jim had seemed so interested in HER – how long she’d been in the Bay, where she lived, her family etc etc , and it had made SUCH a refreshing change from the regular Diner dramas – boyfriend off, girlfriend on and so forth plus the oh-so same old daily grumbling and negativity of Colleen Smart who would have moaned about the presence of a glass in the first place, let alone describing it as half=empty and CERTAINLY not in many lifetimes half-full !

Partly-clothed in those surreptitiously-emerged positive thoughts her heart gave a semi-leap as she drew up in front of the Beach House and recognized Jim’s car as being already there. Parking and emerging at the same time he did. Her warm smile of greeting matched his before descending into bewilderment as another man emerged from behind the tinted windows of the passenger door.

Hand-gesturing briefly he explained succinctly “Irene, this gentleman is Mark Paul – is it ok if we come in for a little chat with you …”

Still all but dumbstruck, she almost subconsciously indicated them inward as she and a mind freshly bursting with questions followed behind. What she didn’t of course know was that the information they’d impart would set her directly as the ‘middle man’ in a tense conflict between a Summer Bay friend - - - and a member of her own family…….

Belle had been tapping her foot impatiently for at least ten minutes when finally patience wore thin. Turning to Sid she breathed heavily and began to say “Look Sid, there’s obviously quite a reunion going on in there so I think I’d better just…”. With impeccable timing –albeit mildly galling for Belle on the point of a piqued departure- Aiden then emerged from the single room.

To the close observer he appeared a little flushed of cheek but, stalling their inevitable questions, he opted for a well-worn tactic used by many in similar situations nefore him – known roughly as “Generalize your way to safety “ !!

“Oh she gave me some fluff about her and this guy she was with daring each other to run in and out of back gardens without getting caught and it all went wrong as you heard etc etc….”

“But…”

“ Look Belle, what you reckon we head back home and have some WE time –she’ll be alright, won’t she Sid !” But even as the doctor was nodding assent, Belle was finding herself propelled inexorably towards a car ride back where again Aiden fended off or made vague the answers to various searching questions that were lobbed at him.

By the time they reached home, he’d restored a relatively stable equilibrium, even persuading her to join him on the sofa for doughnuts, coffee and some definitely indulgent “Guy-fi” with the latest episode of “The Sopranos”

Harmony indeed seemed restored, and eventually Belle rose with a yawn and a stretch indicating her readiness for bed –he remained slumped over the remote control, and so when a distinct – and had they realized – portentous knock assailed rge door, she said “Oh no Mr Active, you just stay where you are - - I’LL get it !!” Tutting but affectionately, she opened the door to reveal……..something highly likely to send their already rollercoaster day into yet another tailspin………

“I’m telling you Morag, I reckon that mongrel must have skipped a generation…..or three…or five, even !! I mean, when you compare HIM - - to ME !! – I guess you can see where I’m coming from , right “

Morag raised a sardonic eyebrow “ Yees ..” she was thinking “And it certainly isn’t Modesty Boulevard !”

Following the police verdict on Trey which had effectively thrown Palmer clear, they were heading back to his house to sign off the paperwork and he’d promised to cook her an early dinner.

Delighted as she was to have navigated the good ship Palmer towards a successful outcome , having spent the better part of five days 24/7 alongside him, she felt she almost knew enough about the man to be marri ed to him - - NOT a prospect she could easily reconcile to, she thought, a slight shiver crossing her psyche at that particular thought !!

To extend that theme, having beckoned her to sit with a brisk sweep of the hand he strode to the kitchen, returning with a mug he placed down alongside her –“Coffee, black with one, right ?” She nodded shortly as he went on –again in familiar tones “ You know where all that paperwork blurb is, don’t you – you crack on with what you need to do, and I’ll fiddle a few tasks that have piled up while I’ve been Public Enemy Number One, eh !”

With a genuine smile at the comment, she collected her coffee and followed him to the kitchen, saying as she went “SO – what exactly IS Mr Busy going to be up to, then !”

Taking a quick sip of his own drink, Palmer flourished a pair of gardening gloves, wiggled the thick digits in mock menace and smiled “ Well now I’ve proved I haven’t got NAUGHTY green fingers, better call out the BORING green fingers again - look out, here I go !”

And with that he slipped through the adjacent greenhouse door and out into the garden.

Leaning both shoulder and drink on the kitchen windowsill, she smiled as she watched him walk towards his seated hovermower. She again smiled as her mind her that despite his emotional excesses she’d had to admire his spirit over these trying days - - - - -her conscious eye and mind then sliced violently through her thoughts and as what she’s somehow registered had her desperately hammering the kitchen window and gesticulating at him.

She was to be left rooted to the spot as he turned a thin fraction too late to get the significance of the mid-distance blurred motionings –but, as the architect of those gesticulations s watched him turn the key, the images became still further blurred as flames began to lick around the hovermowers handle, all seeming - - with the all-too elusive benefit of 20/20 hindsight…. to have Trey’s parting shot at the hospital stamped right across them……

Archived