Forgotten Truths

Guest WYN100

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

***CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

“Look Aiden, it’s a simple enough question…”

Aiden’s midriff took another lurch. He was grimly certain that whatever the thick-set officer sitting opposite him was about to as would NOT be a simple question, given the predicament that had hi-jacked him.

“Well…” he played further for time – “Ok, I WAS …but..” warding off a tapestry of sharply drawn breath and knitted brows around him…”but it’s NOT like it might seem….”

“Tell us then, Aiden…” sighed Harper

“Well- I’ve been thinking for ages of scouting out a new supplier for all the Marina stuff, and I’d heard tell there was this very competitive one up towards Reefton Lakes so I thought I’d check it out…”

The majority of his audience looked some considerable distance from being impressed so he ploughed on “ So I lost my way in that contraflow system they’ve got up there, had to go down a side-road to turn round and it just seemed like a house where someone could give me directions – I asked, and there it was..”

Remaining stony-faced, Harper wrote something on a leaf of his notebook, folded it back, and responded “ You speak to anyone there ? “

Hesitating briefly, he replied “Oh, just some random guy, but he didn’t have too much of a clue, so I got on my way..”

“I see…” replied Harper, nodding slowly and chewing the end of his pen – a habit easily acquired but hard to discard, even when one of Yabbie Creek’s thin blue line.

But the officer’s steady, methodical delivery was artfully disguising the sucker punch he was about to deliver… “But tell me Aiden, did you or didn’t you know that at the time you spoke to this random guy, at this random house – Nicole Franklin was actually inside it at the time…”

As he heard a jagged intake of breath to his left which dissected the silence of the room, he turned to see Belle fixing him with a stare that very definitely spelt trouble ahead

….

Irene sat on the big sofa, her head still spinning with the unexpected turn of events.

Jim took the armchair alongside, while the other man, the unfamiliar Mark Paul sat on one of the chairs at thhe dining table.

She began “Now look Jim, - if that really IS your name…”

“It is..” he cut in, nodding his head.

“Now what the flaming heck’s going on !! I thought you were a travelling salesman – well you certainly sold ME a pup, didn’t you –so come on spill, what’s the story !!” Sensing her growing anger, Jim raised his palm, trying to placate her –“Right, I’m sorry I wasn’t straight with you, very sorry. That’s sincerely so, and I really did enjoy our evening together!“

As she rolled her eyes, he continued…

The truth of it is, we’re both drug squad detectives..“ and hurrying on to forestall any questions..” We’ve been following a trail of supply and usage which has led us here to Summer Bay ..”

“Yes but hang ON a blinkin’ moment !!..”

Jim remained unflappable as he pressed on

“You have a son called Damien, right ?..”

Her lips tightened at mention of her troubled youngest, who’d had more interaction with police over the years than any mother would desire. Her mind drifted briefly towards sister Fin and her young family before tuning back into what Jim was saying…

“Now you may have heard there was a drugs find in a local establishment called “Liam’s Lounge” in the last few days..”

She nodded vaguel..

“Now the local Yabbie Creek Police have taken in Mr Murphy after a search discovered a concealement. They appear to have a good case and with Murphy’s past record he could be looking at a substantial prison sentence…”

“So what in blur blazes has this got to do with ME !!!”

“Well there’s the thing – our spotters tell us your son’s been in the area over the last week or so…” Her mouth dropped open “Well I certainly never knew THAT !!”

“ No, I’m not surprised – he’s lying low at the moment, we’re not quite sure where, but Mark and I are working on the theory he went t the ‘Lounge’ to meet a buyer or dealer and the sachet that was found could either have been left by accident or he got spooked by seeing a spotter, hid it on purpose and hit the road.”

Pausing and breathing in, he summed up “We haven’t clued in the local guys in case what we’ve constructed gets blown, but of course if we find blame elsewhere from Mr Murphy we’d be in there like a shot to sort it out. But what we’d like YOU to do is very simple. IF Damien comes to see you, - and we have every reason to believe he will, then get all the information you can, and ideally alert us..”

She sat up erect in her chair “Hey – you think I’m handing my own son over to you, you’ve got BUCKLEYS matey !!”

Jim’s jaw set firm “Look Irene, either we get some clear information on your son and what he’s doing or we stand back and let the locals develop what seems a very strong case against Mr Murphy – it’s as clear as that – your choice..”

From the table, the previously silent colleague Mark Paul chimed in..”And of course Mrs Roberts it goes without saying – officially OR unofficially, this conversation never took place, and we’re very good at – as you might say – melting away when we have to..”

Jim nodded – “Exactly – Irene, the ball’s in your court ..!”

Her heart felt as if it was heading south at a breakneck rate – she may well spend large parts of her days cooking them – but this was one hot potato Irene most certainly did NOT want to handle…

Morag paced the hospital corridor impatiently, her face set in a mask of concern. The ambulance had reached John’s house a good few minutes later than her admittedly high standards would have preferred, and she’d accompanied him as far as the door of the operating theatre where she’d had to take several steps back into the passage as the doors had swept shut and the surgeons began their work.

Hat had been roughly two hours back – a period of time that had seen her mind spinning almost out of control in assessing the events and emotions generated over the preceding days - and especially today.

Her initial feelings of impatience towards Palmer had mellowed first into protectiveness and now - - well she wasn’t quite sure what - - as she wandered along the passage and onto another landing she reflected that emotional areas, let alone – dare she think-romantic ones had rarely figured highly in her life, but these feelings were certainly concern with an extra edge..

With an outstretched arm at a passing Nurse Julie Cooper , her “ Excuse me !” fell on thin air as she bustled past.

Turning to look out of the window her eyes and muddled thoughts became entranced by the scudding white clouds until the shadow of an ascending Doctor West fell before her..

“Oh Doctor !! –tell me, how is Mr Palmer !!!”

Choosing his words steadily and carefully, he replied “Oh, well Ms Bellingham, he’s stable after the surgery – in fact he was very lucky, all things considered, covering his face and falling as he did at the detonation. In fact, the operation finished around an hour ago and he’s in his room now – sorry if no-one told you, but you’re welcome to go in and see him – it’s room 17 at the end of this passage, you’re welcome to pop in and see him for a few minutes if you’d like….”

“Oh, oh thank you Doctor, I seem to have been in a world of my own today – Ill head down there now..”

Spirits rising a little as she headed in that direction, that positivity was to have a short shelf-life.

Reaching room 31 she smiled on looking through its’ small glass window to see John propped up in bed talking - - but her smile quickly converted to a taut frown on seeing his conversational partner. Sitting smiling in the bedside chair was none other than Gina Austin….

• 4 weeks later...

***CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

“ Now YOU my girl – I hope you know JUST what a lucky escape you’ve had !!”

Pausing before entering the car parked outside the hospital, she pushed back her hair and replied “ Um – POSSIBLY because you’ve already told me about ten times – but I THINK it’s sinking in !”

Climbing in alongside her, Charlie had never once been so happy to see the trademark flashing Ruby smile as she was now.

Arm encircling her daughter she went on “ And what’s all this RUBBISH about you being too fat !!! You are GORGEOUS, and it’s NOT just a biased mother talking- judging by the number of guys I see milling round you on a daily basis !!”

Ruby was uncharacteristically sheepish in replying and her cheek flushed with a slight blush as she replied “Yep, you’re right, you’re right !! It’s just …well, you know- you’ve only got to hear one wrong word and…..”

“Yes, I know, I know “ said Charlie, mentally resolving with every minute that passed exactly how and where her priorities would be lying in the immediate time to come.

Reaching over to squeeze Ruby’s arm with a surge of maternal affection as they turned out onto the main road, she declared “Hey, no groaning now, but what you reckon you and I spend a bit more time together, you know, like we used to ! Shopping, hanging out, chick-flicks – you know, that kind of thing !”

Ruby’s smile again lit up the car – clutching back, she beamed “ Sounds like a PLAN ..but – “ – brow furrowing slightly – “ What about your….work….”

Tilting her head fractionally to one side Charlie declared emphatically “ I’ll scale back – from now on it’s YOU, first last and middle !”

Both smiling as they drove along the coast road, Charlie’s brow tightened a little as she glanced in the rear-view mirror. “ All ok ?” from Ruby..

“ Oh yes fine !” Charlie replied, but her resolve to prioritise Ruby was –she feared –soon to receive a stern early test. Following the hire ca she’d arranged to take them home with her squad car out of commission - - was a vehicle bearing a striking resemblance to the one that had dispatched her from the mountain path what seemed like decades ago, but in fact only been earlier on that same day………………

Romeo sat at a table in the diner leaning low over his cup , stirring a cappuccino absently first clockwise, then anticlockwise, then the reverse. A sense of unreality hung over him following the events of the last day The drama of Ruby’s delayed mercy dash to the hospital, the gut-churning uncertainty as her future hung in the doctors’ hands, the elation of the all-clear, and now…well exactly, and now –what …? He’d been only too delighted to hear a recovered Ruby had been able to leave with Charlie …but….his feelings during the crisis had run the gamut through adrenaline , fear, concern, care, and – had they verged into what one would one have described as – FEELINGS ? - - that was one of the many thoughts rotating erratically round his mind. He’d had to postpone the proposed Millionaire TV link-up which had been due early on the morning after Ruby’d been admitted and now found himself with feeling akin to a satnav into which no postcode destination had been punched.

Picking his mobile up he tapped a speed-dial entry with no real motivation and rolled his eyes as the words “ Hi this is Xave – leave a message – if you’re cute, I’ll call you back !”

Leaning back in his chair, he emitted an extended, heartfelt sigh which briefly made airborne the paper napkin on his table and drew forth a curious glance from Leah at the counter.

“Gee that sounded like the troubles of two worlds or even three – Ruby’s ok now though, isn’t she ?”

“ Yes, thank the Lord !” he replied “ but no it’s not that – it’s just – well, you know… oh, I don’t know !!”

“Ah, one of THOSE days eh !” replied Leah smiling gently – “ I know – gettem all the time myself !”

Romeo’s smile of response was definitely of the assumed variety. Why did people ALWAYS say things like that ! he wondered.

With all due respect to Leah, she certainly DIDN’T get days involving life or death situations, ambulance dashes and hospital procedures ‘all the time’ - - but hey…

Picking up the mobile again, his finger hovering over Ruby’s name, - - but again the frustrated sigh usurped the though, the flip-phone snapping shut as he decided she and Charlie may appreciate more time together before being disturbed.

Leaning with the point of his elbow on the table he began crumbling the complimentary mini-macaroon –type biscuit that had come with the coffee into what was now a rapidly congealing cup. His eyes turned briefly to the window overlooking the car-park as an eye-catchingly-styled 4 by 4 swept in and parked.

Attempting to slowly organize the mounting coffee chaos on his table, he rose, paid Leah, and -eyes down with the mist enshrounding his day, felt a sudden impact, and , with an involuntary “Wow sorry, I wasn’t……” , he looked up to see who he’d quite literally ‘bumped into’ , and who in a whole variety of ways could hold the key to lift the ‘directionless ‘ cloud he’d been attempting to tread his way through……

“Look Aiden, I’ll be honest, deep down I really DON’T think you’ve still got a thing for Nicole – I know what we had – I’ve felt it again since we hooked back up…”

Face brightening, he went to cut in “Yes, that’s exactly…”

She held up a restraining palm “ BUT – and it’s a mighty big BUT – EVERY situation you seem to get involved in ends up having her at the bottom of it, and that’s a pattern I would CORDIALLY love us to break ! As you know, I came back here to help get better- AND to get back with you ! –but all this kind of stuff ISN’T helping ! ..”

He again tried to cut in, but she was in no mood to be derailed “ You saw what happened with all that business at the caravan park and I don’t want and can’t have any more of -but for SOME strange reason, I still want to be with you !”

She sat down alongside him and clasped his hand, implicitly giving him the green light to jump in…”Babe that’s exactly how I feel – you must know that !”

Playing with his fingers individually as he talked, she nodded slowly, hearing as she did, “All this Nicole stuff – it’s just seemed to kind of, I don’t know – wound itself around me like some kind of string or something I can’t shake free from…-the circumstances, I mean !!..” he underlined quickly seeing Belle shoot him a glance – “ NOT feelings or anything like that, as there AREN’T any !! – you do KNOW that, don’t you !” he said, craning his head in front of hers to look her directly in the eyes.

Nodding slowly she said “Oh yes, I certainly do –never doubted it, BUT – there is one thing we do need to do..”

Eyes eager and alert, feeling he’d won himself a reprieve following the Gorton issue and those preceding, he replied “ Oh you just NAME it, girl !”

“Well, “ she spelt out in slow, purposeful, undramatic tones “..I think we should leave – get out of the Bay, away from her, all the things that happen around her- give US the very best chance, and ME the very best chance too – what do you say ?”

The immediate answer to that was precisely nothing, because while he successfully prevented his face from betraying it,and much as he knew he loved Belle , Aiden’s mind had become an instant whirlpool of indecision about his ability to embrace such instant anand fundamental upheaval

***CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

Morag stood at the window of John’s hospital room, staring distractedly out over the car-park and gardens across the horizon leading to the beach area nestled in the far distance. She’d been spotted in the passage and beckoned in by John, but there’d been no second chair, and declining Gina’s offer to go and look for one, she’d remained on her feet.

As the minutes had elapsed it had become increasingly a case of hearing their exchange rather than listening to it.

It appeared to consist mostly of Gina trilling on about Xavier, the school, updates on Brendan and so forth, all of which combined to erode her traditionally limited stocks of patience with every anecdote that emerged.

Attempting to elucidate her own feelings that had emerged so surreptitiously over recent days, particularly following John’s ‘accident’ was complex enough and as she tried , her tuned out aural antennae began to discern that John’s part in the exchanges was getting increasingly spasmodic and monosyllabic while Gina was still forging forward at a full head of steam.

Possibly fatigue after his surgery, she thought, and decided to test the water of that theory.

Turning away from the window, she said “Look John, I’d better be making tracks – you’ll be….”

But he cut in “No Morag – you stay a minute –Gina I’m sure your ‘to do’ pile must be growing by the minute –catch up soon . ?”

Looking just a fraction taken aback she collected her bag and coat from around her “Oh, right, um…oh, ok – I’ll pop in again soon ! “

He smiled and nodded as she left, and after the departure motioned for her to sit alongside him.

Straightening herself carefully she broke the slightly awkward silence with “ Well sir you certainly have been living close to the edge these last few days, have you not !!”

Nodding slowly and somewhat bashfully he admitted “ Yes, I’m afraid my ‘darling’ son has put us both through the wringer these last few days, and I’m both very sorry and very appreciative of what you’ve done – right across the board, if you know what I mean…..”

Preparing to self-deprecatingly swat away the compliment she was cut short as John grasped her hand and went on earnestly “No Morag, don’t dive me any of the ‘that’s what I’m here for’ stuff – it’s all true – and more ! And “ – grasping the hand a little tighter he went on…”there was something I really wanted to say to you….”

But as she leaned slightly forward he suddenly slumped, the beep chart monitor next to him began a strident and prolonged burst which –within seconds- brought a volley of nurses and junior doctors swarming into the room – suddenly hands were on her shoulders steering her out “I’

M afraid you’ll have to leave Madame…”

Neck craning back, through the blur, she saw John’s ashen face on the pillow, a surreal air of stillness seeming to surround him…..

“Well stone the flaming CROWS !!”

Irene’s involuntary exclamation came with a blend of genuine shock, real pleasure – and just a minor trace of foreboding.

Struggling through the front door sideways and battling for space with her handbag and two full shopping bags she was still able to glimpse a ve ry familiar figure draped across the couch “DAMO !!! Damien Roberts as I live and breathe !! “ And – having a lurking uneasy idea of the answer “What the jiminy brings YOU here !!”

Setting the bags down she placed two arms around his neck and a kiss on both cheeks –the gesture received with an exasperated eye-roll !

Moving at exaggeratedly high speed she headed on “ Hey mate, have you eaten ! I can fix you some tucker NO danger – what do you fancy, bacon…egg…anything…”

He held up his hand to stem the flow. “ Whooa Ma – great to see you too – but no tucker thanks – just wanted to give you a surprise drop-in !!”

‘Well you can say surprise again matey – could have knocked me down with a feather !!’

She noticed he had with him a bag he made sure to keep close to him at all times , -she placed that thought on hold at the side of her mind as they sat down at the big dining table.

‘So my fine young boy, what the heck’s been happening in your world – I only hear from you about once every blinkin’ Melbourne Cup !’

“Oh you know ma – same old same old, ducking and diving –any chance of me getting my head down here for a night or two,,?”

He tucked the bag under his arm as he spoke and her demeanour became even more distracted as she effectively sidestepped the question and proceeded “ So what you been doing - caught up with anyone round and about…Alf, Colleen…?..’

He looked at her a little oddly as he grunted in the negative and with increased curiosity bordering on suspicion as she ploughed on ‘Been some changes, haven’t there – you been to uh..Liam’s place at all ?’

As the camel’s back that was Damien gave way under this latest straw he rose, eyes flaring and clutching close the bag that still held a hypnotic fascination for her eyes and spat ‘Now why would you be asking me THAT !! I’m reckoning you’ve sold me OUT here mother !!’

Eyes now darting anxiously around the room, he growled ‘ I think I’ll scrub round that staying over and hit the road before your men in black come to get me !!’

Distraught at her error in approach she attempte to stall him as he grabbed his car-keys, she stammered ‘No mate, wait – I didn’t mean…..’ – but with only a loud door-slam to accompany her words, she was left only to hear the engine on Damien’s jeep outside being gunned into life and the vehicle roar off at high speed….

As it raced off a car parked at the side of an adjacent road purred to life and began to follow close behind..

“I’m just SO thrilled you wanted to do this too !!” beamed Belle, clasping Aiden’s hand over the gearstick, receiving a smile of genuine care and affection in return . After some earnest discussion Aiden had come to realize what Belle wanted and needed, so did he, so they’d packed, loaded the car, and headed off – all within a couple of hours.

Belle had identified and confirmed a place they could stay near the holistic care clinic she’d gone to near Yabbie Creek before her return to the Bay – and that’s where they were now headed.

.”And we can always call and let people know as and when, can’t we …” she mused as he guided the car towards the Upper Bay Road, where the main body of residences lay to their left before straggling their way lazily down to the waterfront and the likes of the surf club and the diner.

“Aah, it’ll be soo nice to get a change, won’t it babe !!”, purred Belle, becoming increasingly settled with their decision, and folding her legs comfortably under her on the passenger seat.

“Too true !” he concurred, reaching for a CD to insert in the car’s player. As he did, and the first notes of INXS could be heard, it was as if their mutual dreams were suddenly to be sucked upwards into a vortex of confusion.

A car hurtled out of a road to their left, and

As it smashed into them, dodgem style, slewing their car at a crazy angle, another followed close behind, drilling into them a second time.

As one of the three car horns howled its one-tone alert to the night sky, it was clear that Damien Roberts and the issues surrounding him had driven a macabre blow into those immediate aspirations of the young couple................

• 2 weeks later...

***CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

Charlie had been following the car at a steady pace, splitting her professional and mothering instincts between keeping an eye on the vehicle and not letting Ruby become aware of the situation after the rigours of her hospital ordeal

However, the enclosed dynamic between the two reached an inevitable conclusion as conversation dipped and Ruby enquired “ You OK Charlie ?” Forcing her eyes momentarily clear of where they’d been semi-pinned, she summoned the appropriate sincerity and smile to reply “Yep fine, why wouldn’t I be !!” –and squeezing Ruby’s hand again, said “I just got the best darn daughter in all the world back !”

Ruby didn’t seem altogether convinced, but her chance for further interrogation was blunted as the police radio on Charlie’s shirt crackled to life “All units , all units, three vehicle smash at Bishop’s Corner – possible fatalities – please attend as soon as able – identities of those involved to be confirmed”

Speaking briefly into the receiver she responded “Roger Control, will attend…”…

Glancing to her left, she saw Ruby’s face, jaw dropped, and saying “ Bishop’s Corner Charlie ! That’s right near where….”

Charlie’s face had drained a little of colour. While the details of this accident, like any other, needed checking out, the air hung thick and heavy with what both knew the other was thinking……….

Romeo’s outlook on the day was still a confused one – but now with a wholly different flavour and ambience.

The thoughts and concerns over Ruby had occupied both the cerebral left hand side of his brain and the emotional left, but the unheralded return of Indi had dumped a new blizzard of thoughts and feelings on both sides.

Indi , in his mind, had always been the unattainable, the figure that made his heart flutter whenever he entered the diner or surf club and who any conversation, however brief, would be the highlight of his day. And THEN – a bundle of plucked up courage, a free moment for Indi – a first date, then another and another- then the culmination of a shared night where the last piece of a delicious embryonic jigsaw seemed to have been clicked perfectly into place.

And then –the rainbow glow shot down within hours the following day. The big departure – no message, a phone voicemail working 24 hour shifts, and people – particularly Sid- either knowing-or saying ! –nothing.

So-just as time had quietly begun to do its time-honoured job of massaging and starting to heal such wounds, here he was in the entry corridor to the diner looking up to see not just the Indi in question but the guy she’d arrived with in the state-of-the-art 4 by 4 parked outside.

Reeling slightly but determined not to show it, he croaked ‘hi’ which was returned in token fashion by the pair as they disappeared inwards. Shaking his head as if to reassure himself this suddenly unlikely scenario was really happening, he turned for the door until the day’s bizarre quotient was ramped up still further as Indi slipped out through the diner doors, handed him a small folded piece of paper and as quickly as she’d appeared, drifted back inside………..

Despite her daughter’s protestations, Charlie had insisted on dropping Ruby off at home before heading to the crash site. What she saw when she arrived was – even after her many years of police work – still breath-catching to behold. The three cars were still standing where they’d come to rest at their respective random angles, the scene now illuminated by the strobing effect of the lights on the various emergency service vehicles, and when Constable Watson came to stand alongside her, an expression of stunned bewilderment and hands extended wide to either side suitably fitted the occasion rather than what would have inevitably sounded a crass question about what –and how – events had conspired to produce the grim scene just ahead of them up the road.

Watson spoke in low. Repressed tones “ Well Sergeant it looks like one car came out of Redlands Crescent at high speed onto the main road, hit the first car, and was then followed by another speeding vehicle which came into collision with them both…”

“Any details..?”

“Well……………..”

“Well WHAT Constable ?”

“Well…it SEEMS the two in the car chasing the speeder were..” she hesitated…” ..were REALLY big cheeses from the Regional Crime squad…..”“REALLY ! – and what’s THE involvement ?”

She shrugged “ We don’t know yet –as for the rest, well the cutting teams and the paramedics are still finishing off – but..”her voice dropped “ You do know who lives round here don’t you….”

“Yes, yes I do “ she said briefly..”but let’s wait for the official word, shall we !”

Pointing to an advancing form Watson went on “This could be that moment…”

Heading for Charlie he shook her hand and said “Sergeant Buckton I understand, Russ Ashton, Paramedic Co-ordinator– nasty business !”

“Certainly is -what’s the casualty count ?”

He took a deep breath and Charlie’s heart moved to extreme thumping mode as he replied “Well at this point it’s one confirmed fatality, one critical and the other three heading to hospital for assessment..” The glance Charlie’s ashen face shot to Watson spoke soundless yet deafening volumes of concern……..

• 3 weeks later...

***CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN

Charlie’s text alert sounded for the countless plus one ignored occasion as she leant motionless against the hospital passage wall.

Her body may well have been in attendance at Summer Bay general, but her mind had been forcibly wrenched to another planet as she somehow attempted to unravel and assimilate the events of the previous 48 hours or so and their turbulent ripples and implications on so many people.

Luckily Ruby had been at least temporarily spared the immediacy of it all, but WHY hadn’t the Seniors TOLD her about the Damien Roberts surveilance ! she kept kicking around her min d, ..and as for the OTHERS involved…

An involuntary shiver swept through her as she became aware of a footfall to her right. Straightening up with an involuntary gasp she saw Richard Lansbury , Head of Internal Medicine, with Sid Walker a step or two behind. Disguising a slight gulp she opened with “Gentlemen…” Shaking her hand, Lansbury spoke

“Well I’m sorry to tell you Mr Mark Paul didn’t make it –Mr Mills is on the critical list, Mr Roberts SHOULD, and I MEAN should be alright after more surgery,…”

“And……” Charlie interposed, voice thick with gathering emotion..

“And..” went on Lansbury, shaking his head in apparent bewilderment, “as for the other two, well, sorry but I really don’t know quite how to put it…” The air in the passageway seemed to grow more dense by the second as she awaited the verdict on thr two names he had yet to mention, the two that, in truth, she cared by far most deeply about…

A surreal atmosphere hung over the dimly-lit ‘Liam’s Lounge’ bar as he and Bianca digested the news that had filtered back to them about the evening’s events, sketchy as they currently were.

“All Ruby knew for sure was that the main drugs cop Mills is dead and his number two’s barely hanging on..”

“And weren’t they worried Belle and Aiden could be involved in some way too ?”

She spread her hands wide –“You know all I know babe…” As she sipped slowly from her glass of white wine, he edged into an almost audible silence..

“Watcha thinkin’ babe ? she enquired gently.

“Well…” he emerged slowly from the thought shadows to reply in measured tones “I know it’s very sad and all with the guy dying and the other one 50-50, but…”

“But…?”

“Well….when they pulled me in for that fantasy drug charge, you remember that‘bad cop’ guy they brought in from the city to try and pit the heat on…- he was just meant to be the hard talker like you see on CSI or something – got all the threats but none of the real info ?”

She nodded..

“Well- he virtually said that this drugs thing was kind of a totally solo project for Mills and his buddy – some kind of last hoorah before he retired…and…”

“And..!!” she responded, more animated now..

“And – apparently no-one knew where he kept all his info on it – some reckoned it was possibly mainly in his head….so..”

“I’ll strangle you Murphy !” she threatened with a half-smile “Just cut to the bottom line !!”

“Ok OK !!” he smiled as her hands advanced playfully towards his neck “SO – innocent as we both know I am – would I be right in thinking that with him passing away and the other one on the edge, this whole thing may just melt away…?”

With her strangulation threat doing a quick and full 180 she instead kissed him affectionately on the cheek and said “By Jingo Captain I think you could just be right !..”…She clinked her wine glass against his long-necked bottle of cranberry juice and went on “Yep. You weren’t guilty in any way, shape or form, so here’

S crossing fingers it’s gone STRAIGHT to bed where it belongs !!”

Her head then inclined sideways in surprise on hearing the bell of the closed front door sound. Checking visually with Liam that he wasn’t expecting anyone, she headed there…….

On clicking the latch to open, she instantly recognized a face that said to her “Ah good evening Miss Scott, - or is it Mrs Murphy ? – I can never remember ! Either way, as cult 80s group Dollar put it, I guess this is something of a case of ‘

Who were you with in the Moonlight ?, wouldn’t you agree ! No, no forgive me, you’re much too young to remember either way !” As Bianca gaped at his rhetoric, one thing was certain. Whatever his reason, the ever-quirky Detective Inspector Robert Robinson was –very definitely - back in town……

Nurse Julie wheeled him into the room, wagging an only semi-strict finger in saying “Only TEN MINUTES or so, right !” and with an affectionate smile, made her exit.

It took him a minute to collect himself fully, then with a delicious moment of shared empathy their eyes and lips synchronized in sparkle and smile,

“Hey girl – takes a lot to bring YOU down I reckon !!” Aiden’s voice was a brimming cocktail of relief, affection and the tears already moistening the corners of his eyes as he spoke. He propelled himself to her bedside as she replied , beaming, “ Hey you don’t scrub up too badly yourself Mister - reckon they’ll show us on ‘Australia’s Craziest Drivers or something ? Not you of course – even you couldn’t help a triple dodgems moment like that !”

Normally any teasing from her about his driving would lead to a spell of mock outrage from him, but instead he now looked long and deep into her hazel eyes, leant forward, and with an arm round her neck, kissed her deep, long and passionately before giving a long, contented sigh.

“ How ARE you babe …” he asked with genuine concern. .Shaking her head in some bewilderment, she replied “Well – still here – somehow !! Some aches and pains – how about you !”

Clutching her hand tight he replied “Very

much the same !”

After another silence that might only have been a few seconds but they could happily have believed was twenty minutes he spoke again “Belle, listen you know I love you, right !”

A nod in reply -..”Well this whole thing, I reckon it’s like the Chief upstairs giving us a reality check, right ? – and if you chuck in all the other rubbish that had been happening, well babe I’ve thought long and hard about this, and, striking as suitable a pose as possible for the occasion, grasped her hand tenderly and said “Belle Taylor – from the bottom of my heart – will you marry me ?

It was as if the empty room was holding its breath to see whether joy would indeed emerge from potential tragedy…….

• 4 weeks later...

***CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

“Mates that is sooo cool !!”

Putting his own life turbulence briefly on pause, Romeo had acted on the wedding talk he’d picked up on in the Bay and come to the hospital to congratulate the intended couple and the three now found themselves in Belle’s room , her still in bed and Romeo striding happily around for all the world as if he were a new father about to hand out celebration cigars.

“Man oh Man, about flamin’ time !! All of your friends saw from the start, so why didn’t you believe it too !”

Her beaming smile lighting up the room far more effectively than the pale single shadeless lightbulb hanging almost apologetically from the ceiling, Belle beamed her enquiry “And just what SHOULD we have believed then, mister ?”

“That you – and him !” , jabbing a thumb towards Aiden’s chair, “ ..were the most obvious marriage candidates this side of a ‘Blind Date’ re-run and everyone knew it but you !! This is going to be THE Bay Wedding of the Millennium – a real day to remember – now hurry up out of here you two so I can get you something better to celebrate with than hospital water to celebrate with – IF you know what I mean !!”

Meanwhile in a room somewhere across Town, the earliest seeds of Romeo’s comments about the impending nuptials were being laid.

As fretful steps paced a repetitive path in front of a wall mirror, a low discontented muttering stopped square in front of the looking glass and with clear, determined tones, articulated “ If anyone here knows any reason why these two people may not be married, speak now,,,,”

Right arm raised high, the monologue continued with a slightly bitter chuckle at those words and “Oh YES !! , vicar dear – now just how long have you Got !!!”

Had they somehow been spectators, it’s a solid bet that the happy couple would have been feeling decidedly less so…..,

Ruby lay with legs stretched along the same couch from which her descent earlier in the week had triggered such an alarming few days.

Now though the picture was a far more relaxed one. Diet pills firmly consigned to landfill, a bottle of regular Pepsi stood on the nearby table with a straw emerging at a jaunty angle, while an open family bar of already well-sampled milk chocolate lay alongside it as if to quietly signify a lesson already learnt.

‘Umbrella’ by Rhianna was pumping out of MTV via the big screen in the corner, and a closely-scanned celeb gossip magazine completed the comprehensively ‘chilled’ atmosphere pervading the room.

While the crash and its implications were ticking over at the back of her mind, Ruby was taking a long overdue opportunity to indulge herself.

Hence it was with a frustrated tut that she greeted a sharp knuckle-rap on the front door through the frosted glass alongside of which she could see a burly form hovering.

With a sigh she placed the magazine down and lowered the TV volume and made the four or five steps to open the door. There, blinking with a combination of the direct inrushing sunlight and surprise at what she saw, Ruby was confronted by a man in police uniform.

“Ruby…”

She nodded as he continued “Hi there Constable Stone from Yabbie Creek Centra – no need to worry, but they’ve just radioed me on the way to work saying there’s some problem with your mum and can I take you down there…”

As her mouth widened in embryonic query, he went on quickly “Don’t know exactly what it’s about, they didn’t say much and the reception on the radio was a bit rank, but if I nip you down there, I’m sure we’ll soon find out…”

Brows knitted in confusion, she responded “B..but I thought she was at the hospital…w-what…?”

Spreading his arms a little, he gave a semi-shrug and said “Well..I can only tell you what they told me..how about we go and see…?”.

Gathering up her keys , she just about remembered to flick the TV off and followed him out to a battered-looking squad car. Noticing her glance, he laughed, and, raising his eyebrows laughed “Oh, I know !! Last in always gets bottom-of-the range !!”

They headed off left into the stream of traffic, going a mile or two before Stone turned slightly, remarking over his shoulder “ OH, I’ve just got to stop and pick someone up in a mo, ok ?”

As he did, to a quiet “I guess..” reply, unnoticed by both of them, a Charlie Buckton, alone and in full control was at that moment driving past on the other side of the road, headed towards the house………

“Well. Thanks everyone for coming – see you again next week I hope !” As Elijah began clearing away his notes and the members of the Bay Junior Praise Group began to file out of the church, VJ snapped his laptop shut and gave a deep sigh.

It was the morning after the rash and with news having spread fast…Elijah had decided it would be a good idea to press ahead with the usual class , not only to share regular thoughts and readings, but to pray for all those involved, but also address any individual or private concerns the youngsters may have.

VJ’s interest in such issues had blossomed and broadened during the trip he and Leah had made to see Elijah during his work in Africa and subsequently on returning with the online group he’d joined , plus letters to and from Elijah plus now on the Reverend’s return to the Bay – though not yet to his mother’s arms which remained his preferred scenario. !

Nodding goodbye to Yasmin, a bright-eyed, blonde-bobbed girl he’d been sitting next to, he wandered down the central aisle, and said “Elijah……”

Looking up, he responded with a smile, “You ok big guy, …”

“Um yep..well – no…oh it doesn’t matter..” , and with that he turned in the direction of the door.

Placing a hand gently on his shoulder, Elijah persisted..”You sure, mate ? You know you can talk to me about anything, anytime , right ?”

Nodding with just passable conviction, he re-asserted “ Yes, I do know, honest ! – it’s nothing, - think I’m just a bit tired, I guess – but, thanks Elijah.., you’re a star !”

As the Minister conducted a theatrically humorous bow, VJ – laptop under his arm stood at the side door ready to leave. Eyes initially blinking to take in the piercing morning sun, he didn’t initially notice the man leaning on the wall next to him, gazing out over the inlet onto which the church grounds looked. Wearing a polo-neck sweater and not inexpensive jacket, he trotted over to the path down which VJ was leaving giving a “Hi, lovely day !”

“I guess..” he replied, surprised and not over-enthusiastic at the interruption.

“It’s VJ, isn’t it ?” he enquired, bringing forth a sharp twist of the head and suspicious “ ..um, why ?, who told you that ?”

“Oh, I guess someone must have mentioned it on the way out or something..” replied the man a little evasively.

“Who are you then ?” as VJ reversed the dynamic of the conversation.

“Oh , my name’s Ian Harris – you may have seen me in and out of your mum’s diner….it IS her diner, right ?”

“Giving a non-committal grunt, VJ was about to pen his stride tp leave when Harris pulled business-style card from his top pocket and handed it to the youngster. Headed ‘THORTZ’, he explained “I run a little youth praise group similar to this just outside Yabbir Creek – you fancy dropping in, give a call, be DELIGHTED to see you there , times and stuff are on the casrd – give it some thought eh ?”

And ith that he was gone. VJ looked roun after him.# He may be young, and some may think impressionable – but in his mind something just hadn‘t FELT right about that ‘brief encounter’ – not too right at ALL……

• 4 weeks later...

****CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE

Tony leant forward in the armchair, his face all but a sculpted mask of incredulity..

“You’re trying to tell me Penn Graham effectively OWNS Summer Bay ?…”

Rachel’s brow creased in exasperation… “No, don’t EXAGGERATE , I didn't SAY that….”

Tony emitted a gasp in shaking his head, confusion and disbelief still written large on a face that shook slowly from side to side with a stunned , slightly lop-sided smile still across it.

Her face was decidedly lacking in humour of any kind and looked even a touch pallid as she sat down alongside him.

“No – what I SAID was this.” I became aware at college that Alister Ross was taking and/or pushing drugs and I challenged him about it.

And – to keep it short as possible it seems that back in the forties or fifties, the whole Stewart family Dynasty thing was in some kind of trouble – there was unemployment, businesses closing etc and there was some kind of search for a benefactor, investor, whatever…”

A light appeared to illuminate in Tony’s eyes, as – raising an index finger, he chimed in “A-ha !! - so, let me guess – enter Grandpa Graham !”

Pumping her head decisively in response, Rachel went on “Exactly ! It seems it ran in the family, even then ! ….”

Continuing, she explained as succinctly as possible “So, along he apparently came, riding his white horse and putting money into redevelopments, buildings and other projects, so all in the garden seemed rosy..”

Tony lent forward…”But…..”

“Ah yes, and that’s seemingly the 500 kilo crash-bang but !!”

Had Tony leant any further forward, he’d have been in danger of hearing the payoff line while lying face-first on the carpet, so luckily for him, she quickly proceeded “But - - the strong belief was that he was using all those to launder his drug money..!”

Eyes wide and jaw dropped, Tony’s hand sliced the air for words that would not come..

She stepped in to provide them..”So yes, to MODIFY what yu said earlier, apparently, ALLEGEDLY, yes, SOME of Summer Bay COULD be built on Graham drug money ! And….”

The orchestra of Tony’s voice had recovered enough to obey the conductor-style shaking of his hand…”And…..!!

Her face growing increasingly serious, she fidgeted distractedly before revealing in low, serious tones “And…….I’m PRETTY sure..THAT’S why Alister Ross was killed…”

The Holden solo vocal choir had again been struck dumb behind a once-more perplexed-cum horrified outward visage

Romeo had swayed one way and another like a thin sapling in a winter storm since being slipped the piece of paper with Indi’s mobile number on it earlier in the day.

A new one of course – he’d rung the other one hour after hour since her overnight departure –initially to the endless repetition of her voicemail moving into ‘This number is no longer available ‘ and the frustration boiling into more than one of his handsets being dashed against a nearest available wall.

Now though, new number, new possibilities…?

.And so, after countless changes of mind, he’d finally dialled the number leading to the current rendezvous at “El Reste”, a Spanish-style brasserie

located close to The Sands resort.

It had been her choice emanating from the brief call they’d shared earlier, so he’d been sure to arrive politely early, and was distractedly nibbling on his complimentary breadstick when instinct told him to look up –and he did so , to welcome the arrival of she who’d occupied such a majority of his thinking capacity over the last dozen hours.

Wearing purple Crocs, an attractive. Sleeveless dress and a healthy light-copper shade suntan, she smiled a little awkwardly, and raising the palm of one hand, said “ UH..hi ! …”

Taking a few seconds to absorb the facts before him, Romeo jumped up, pulled out a chair for her and responded “ Hi back !..” and , waving his hand in the air as if attempting draw a map of the entire Bay, said – equally awkwardly “ You look….ah …GREAT !!”

So it was they sat , chatted, became slowly, steadily and surprisingly comfortably became re-accquainted with each other. Starter, Main course, and even desserts of profiteroles and raspberry cheesecake passed on the most sociable of terms.

But – even allowing for a brief ‘contact moment’ when they reached for the salt concurrently,even now the ‘elephant in the room’ subject of her disappearance had yet to be addressed in any form – nor still the companion in whose 4 by 4 she had sailed into the cafe car-park- and quite possibly back into his heart ?

However – with the arrival of a dual late coffee order, inhibitions seemed to be finally thawing.

After stirring her cup, Indi lent over, cautiously took his wrist and said softly “Romeo – I’ve missed you…”

Heart involuntarily swelling he nonetheless cautiously stroked her finger and smile d “Yeah me too Indi, me too !”

It was a longed-for moment he wanted to freeze in time, for its very essence, and for NOTHING to ripple it, let alone what then seemed the irritatingly mundane interruption of his text alert.

Despite gesturing his intention to ignore it, she insisted he look. He reluctantly obliged only to see “ Romeo – help – Pine Rd – Rubes.!”

Seconds too late, Romeo was given his wish of a moment frozen in time – but now one that not only jeapordized his current moment with Indi , but one that converted his blood temperature from ambient warm to biting cold - - by what it might actually signify…….

“No. Reverend Johnson’s not here at the moment, can I take a message ?” Father Mark Turniak was on secondment at the Bay church from the City and had been engaged enthusiastically in the task of counting, dusting and piling up hymnbooks when the phone had rung in the vestry. It was an hour after the Youth Praise Group had departed, and Elijah with them. That was to pursue what he called his ‘rounds’, popping in on elderly and ill residents for a chat, cup of tea –and depending on their largesse, a slice of –inevitably – ‘home made’ cake, frequently leading him to remark he wouldn’t need to eat or drink again for days.

And so it was that Mark was answering the phone and grabbing a pen to record the details he was being told.

“Oh, that early ? –that’s an interesting one ! Well I know Reverend Johnson’s planning on being away for a few days, but I’m sure I can get all those arrangements firmly in place in the meantime ! “

He paused, making sure his handwriting would subsequently be legible for all the vital requirements of the wedding booking that was being spelt out to him.

“Obviously I’D be here for the usual talk-through if things are needed this quick, the music etc ….”

He paused again, this time the biro almost slipping through his fingers s he collected himself sating “They’d like THAT played as the main piece !”

Clearly receiving affirmation – eyes still wide , he concluded the call and murmured out loud, tapping the pen against the notepad as he did , “ I guess the Bay won’t have seen a wedding like THAT in a while !”

As the receiver went down at the other end, ‘Item 1’ was crossed off a list covering much of a side of A4.

The ‘Alternative Wedding ‘ action plan had begun….

Archived