Forgotten Truths

Guest WYN100

## PART FOURTEEN

“Sid, you HAVE to tell me what happened to them –I’m INSISTING here, for pity’s sake !” The doctor paused and emitted a troubled sigh before responding “Look Chief Inspector , you’ve been through a very traumatic episode yourself, you’ve not long since returned to the land of the living, and any extra stress is NOT on my prescription !”

Impatiently waving the words aside, Peter persisted bluntly “Yes yadda yadda I know all that stuff, I say very similar to someone every day of my life – now are you going to tell me or do I have to get out of this bed and find out for myself …!!”

The frown on the doctor’s brow deepened. Emitting another deep sigh, he replied slowly “ Look Peter I’m in a very difficult situation, with doctor-patient confidentiality and all, but….”

“But…?”

“But….you were involved in the crash, and clearly not knowing the details is causing you too much concern for my liking. Soo…there were two people on board – one, 29 year old Judi Harker who was driving, and her eight year old daughter Chantale – Judi’s currently in a stable condition, but Chantale…” another pause…”is currently giving cause for concern…, but..”- extending the open palm of his right hand in Peter’s direction..” is currently ALL that I know, so it’s no use asking for more – you’ll be kept informed !”

Turning his head to acknowledge a new arrival he said quietly “Hey Charlie..”

The Sergeant stood, papers in hand, and, having heard much of what Sid had just said, responded “hey guys – ah, Chief Inspector, I think I may just have a whole extra angle to shed on all this…”

Both men looked on agog….

“You HAVE to be kidding !!” Aiden’s response to and denial of Nicole’s Facebook allusion had verged between indignant denial and an almost laughing contempt for what had been written. “The only thing I got close to last night was..” jerking his thumb to indicate “ THAT sofa, Australian Idol.., and…” –leading Belle towards the kitchen bin.. “THAT Chinese takeaway -for ONE !– crabmeat and sweetcorn soup, honey sesame chicken and prawn crackers –almost all eaten !”

She laughed, lacing her arm round his neck, “I love you ! But you can’t entirely blame me, being a technical ignoramus and all ! But…” her face assumed a concerned air…” What ARE we going t o do about Nicole – I don’t think this is going away any time soon you know !”

Aiden laughed casually, responding “ Nah, it’ll be fine , she’ll soon lose interest –if I know her…” Then, taking a few more steps, stopped short, smote his brow and excitedly continued..”No, hang on, hang ON !! Come with me !, and, easing her towards the computer, called up the Facebook page with Nicole’s message , pressed ‘reply’ and tapped in “ Hey sweetcakes, me too !! How about hooking up for coffee tomorrow – Neptunes in Yabbie Creek ‘bout eleven ? Can’t wait !!” Turning to Belle’s predictably stunned expression, he placed a hand on both her shoulders, and – kissing her on the cheek and , paraphrasing the A Team, said “Babe, I love it when a plan starts coming together !!!…”

She awaited details with interest-laced with some apprehension..!

John Palmer’s silver locks were again beginning to assume a wild and unkempt air. Back in the interview room he dragged his fingers through it for the several hundredth time since this whole issue had exploded upon him.

“I mean –it’s just plain CRAZY to think me- of all people – has been happily tending weed plants in my conservatory for…for… oh for HOWEVER long she said…” he moaned, slumping back into his seat as he did.

“Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase ‘pot plant’ I guess, observed Morag drily from her seat adjacent to his inn the dingy, sparsely lit interview room with peeling paint and yellowing anti-crime posters adorning the walls.

“Oh highly amusing I’m sure !” responded Palmer, turning towards her with rising irritation – “ That’s JUST

what I need, my highly-paid legal counsel..” – a charachteristic raised eyebrow from Morag – he continued, the Palmer personal boiling point moving closer within sight - “..my HIGHLY paid le gal counsel making LAME jokes about it “ – he continued to fret – “ and just WHEN exactly are we going to get OUT of this life-forsaken place anyway !!!! – that’s what I want to know !!!”

Motioning him to sit down, Morag chided as gently as she could muster , “JOHN – you’re just going t o have to be PATIENT until we..”

She broke off as Constable Watson entered the room, sheet of paper in hand. Half-rising, Morag assumed her customary expression of vague disdain – “Ah Constable, how WONDERFUL to see you – I take it you’re going to drop all this nonsense now….!”

Semi-ignoring her however, she intoned “Mr Palmer, I’ve got someone outside whose information w e believe impacts significantly upon your case…”

Exchanging swift glances of reaction, the minds of both Palmer and Morag were both instinctively reaching forward to grasp what could be a straw of mutual hope…………

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

***PART FIFTEEN

An eerie silence had descended on the beach house as Ruby lay on the floor. The sun picking out the light streaks in her hair, she remained motionless, her breathing shallow and intermittent. With chilling irony. The rays illuminated the instructions on the label of the bottle that had slipped out of her bag as she fell.

“SOLVE YOUR PROBLEMS IN A HURRY !!!” it screamed in block letters “THIN AND TRIM IS HERE IN JUST SEVEN DAYS !”

But, close examination revealed a worryingly- short ingredient list, stating only “ ‘all made from Natural strength products.”

As Ruby’s countenance grew progressively pale and sallow, the outlook appeared grim…..Until…there came a sharp, staccato knock on the beach house door.

Unbeknownst to Ruby, potential salvation was at hand in the person of Romeo, who’d called round to see her. He paused, brow creased with mild perplexity. He’d expected her to be home, she’d said she’d be in, and yet… He knocked again with renewed determination, puzzled too by the air of almost pure silence that was somehow enmeshing the Beach House on what was a regulation embryonic summer’s day in the town – and this was a residence that was rarely without comings and goings, arrivals and departures and it was that which made him crane his neck to look through the front window. At first, all seemed hazy in the glare, but shielding his eyes against the sun he eventually saw…”Ruby- Ruby !! – he hammered the window fruitlessly for a few seconds before nervy fingers yanked his mobile from his pocket and called urgently for an ambulance. Taking a short run at the door he forced it open and was cradling Ruby when the paramedics arrived- telling them he had no idea what was wrong he followed into the ambulance, talking all the time to Ruby and preparing to call Charlie with the news.

With Ruby’s face growing ever paler despite the nebulizer placed over her face he urged the driver “Can’t you go any faster mate ! She needs help !!”

“Going as fast as poss, mate !” came the reply – Romeo fretted onwards as the ambulance, siren blazing, made its way onto the elevated freeway that led to the hospital…….then to a shuddering halt…. As Romeo prepared to enquire about the reason – a concerned voice from the front cut across him “Um – bad news mate - um – big smash at the intersection – satnav says at least an hour’s delay…”

As the traffic solidified behind the ambulance and Ruby’s eyes began to roll slowly from side to side, Romeo gave a gulp of real apprehension…..

“Aw Aiden, this is just sooo nice !” cooed Nicole across the coffee shop table at him. “ I was stoked when I got your reply on Facebook – I – um .. guess you saw what I was kind of..driving at..”

“OH for sure ! he replied nonchalantly, blowing some of the cappuccino froth off his teaspoon as the waitress arrived with a ham and cheese toasted sandwich and a chicken Caesar salad.

Coyly. and with a tiny streak of mischief, she carried on. “And what about Belle, babe ? I guess she’s ah – not clued in on any of this…..”

Swallowing a forkful of ham and cheese. Aiden described a few indeterminate circles with the fork, and proceeded “Oh be sure, Belle only knows what she needs to know – I see to that !”

Enjoying the feeling of an apparent moment of triumph, she attempted – unsuccessfully – to indulge in a little ‘footsee’ with Aiden under the table before going on to place her elbows on the surface, clasp her hands together, and with her chin resting on the bridged fingers, enquired “So what happens next then, Mister…!”

Swallowing a mouthful of sandwich, he moved his head a little closer to hers and asked “ well, as the food here’s so good..what do you think about some –dessert ..?”

Her smile broadening, she responded “Mmm – sounds very – tempting….!”

“Ok, I’ll ask !” Half-rising, he called to a girl near the cash desk “Oh, excuse me…”

Nicole’s eyes were sharply prised away from Aiden’s face as she heard “Yes sir, anything I can do for you ?”

…as a flash of initial panic shot through her, she looked up to see the ‘waitress’ revealed as Belle

“Well Hallelujah ! –I’m back on planet earth !!” The joyful sentiment emerged from the lips of John Palmer , seizing hungrily onto the first chink of light he’d perceived during three nightmarish days.

That illumination had arrived courtesy of the arrival at the police station of Frank Norman, Chief Executive of the youth secure unit at the edge of Yabbie Creek who’d reported Trey’s escape and the discovery in his cell of identical tiny cannabis sachets to those planted in his father’s briefcase meant any suspicion hanging over John was effectively wiped away at a stroke.

“Well Constable, I shan’t hold my breath for your written apology !” Palmer had remarked haughtily before being swept out of the station by Morag while a tight-lipped Watson mouthed the usual platitudes about ‘only doing their job’.

And so it was that Palmer and Morag were in the car heading through the seemingly endless network of residential and shopping streets that one needed to negotiate having left the police station which lay on the furthest northern fringe of the big town in a slightly elevated position at the base of an incline that went on to expand into quite a significant hill which dominated the skyline.

Palmer though showed no vestige of impatience, his heart again light after the recent developments, as if it had received an overdue shot of octane and buoyancy. While sharing his pleasure at the welcome appearance of Frank Norman and the subsequent developments, she was becoming progressively concerned about how his renewed ‘joie de vivre’ was translating itself into pressure on his accelerator pedal. “For goodness sake slow down, John !” she urged as the shopfronts seemed to fly by at an ever increasing rate. The car had stood idle outside the station in recent days. Because rge two had done the bulk of their travelling in police cars over the last 72 hours, Tony Holden had been kind enough to relocate the vehicle. Parking it in an adjacent side-street in preparation for the hoped-for moment when it would be required before organizing his own route back home .”You don’t want to be released one minute and ploughing into a wall the next, now do you !!” she admonished with growing severity – he though sailed on, clocking around 50 mph in a built up area and, undaunted by her chastizing, declared That’s not likely Judge Bellingham, I’ve exposed my darling choir boy son for what he is, put the pompous Yabbie Creek Police in their place and my mind is squarely set on a cold celebration beer !” Raising her eyebrows as the car sailed into another shopping street , Morag drily paraphrased an old saying – “Well I only hope you live to drink the ale !” As he laughed in response she blinked nervously at a teenage boy and girl meandering along the pavement to their left . . “John we’re coming up to a crossing – BE careful !!” With an over-dramatic heavy sigh he obediently slow5ed to a more sedate 25 mph, at last bringing a smile to her face – but around 40 seconds or so after he did , almost inexplicably the male of the pavement pair seemed to somehow loom alarmingly across the front window, and despite a thunderous crash of brakes, they felt the sickening impact of metal on flesh tear through them. Almost in slow motion as Morag perceived it she saw him leap from the car, then a face drained of all colour breathing huskily “My Lord Morag - - - - it’s Trey....!

• 3 weeks later...

****PART SIXTEEN

“So you’re saying Penn Graham phoned Judi Harker on her carphone just minutes before the crash !” Peter exclaimed “ Well that’s got to be game set and match then, hasn’t it !!”

“Well you’d think so, “ replied Charlie haltingly – “but what are we actually accusing him OF ?- making a phone call ? – I can see any lawyer just laughing that one out of court, can’t you ?…”

Far from seeming like someone who‘d emerged from anaesthetic less than 2 hours previously, Peter thrust purposefully forward in his bed, and ramming his fist against the bedside table to emphasize his points- “He KNEW my car, with its’ brakes screwed would approach THAT precise road at THAT precise moment as e all know by now he had his gorillas following in the car behind me, so SURELY there’s got to be at least a conspiracy rap in there somewhere ?”

“Any chance it could be a co-incidence ?” chimed in Sid, who’d been watching quietly from his corner of the room.

His ‘temerity’ was swiftly rebuffed by Peter who cut in “ After eleven years in the force I don’t believe in co-incidences Sid and despite current appearances to the contrary, my research tells me Mr Penn Graham and so-called co-incidences have been near-neighbours on JUST too many-occasions for my liking or to make that even a REMOTE possibility in a case like this, trust me !”

Nodding his head slowly and decisively Peter continued “ ALL we need is something big to pin on him amd believe me it WILL come !”

Subconsciously but wholly differently to how he’d envisaged, that wish may suddenly have moved a stage closer.

The two officers each gave an involuntary start as Sid’s pager burst into a series of short, sharp, urgent beeps , and after picking up the internal phone for a short, clipped conversation, he fielded their inevitable enquiries with a dry cough and a brief “ Uh – that was the childrens’ ward – young Chantale Harker’s just taken a turn for the worst….”

Even as hardened police officers with a shelfload of grisly cases behind them, the colour had drained from both their faces as they exchanged angst-ridden glances on Sid’s rapid departure….

Aiden was feeling decidedly buoyant as he finished packing his bag and headed for the gym that morning. Nicole had surely been given a true reality check the café, Belle was in a good place health-wise and he’d left her happily in the garden enjoying that morning’s emerging sunshine.

Giving wave to Alf who was crossing the car-park as he entered the surf club gym, he was invigorated by a brisk session on the treadmill, shadow-boxed the large punchbag into what he saw as submission and lifted weights until the warning light that’s within most of us switched on bright and clear to say “enough is enough” switched on bright and clear and, having taken a shower, he jogged over to the lockers before his eye was for some reason caught by the open and adjacent door of the café. Because sitting there enjoying a milkshake was Nicole. And she was not alone. Sitting – noticeably- close to her also marshalling a milkshake , was a guy, early 20s with short blond spiky hair and wearing a surfie t-shirt.

And just for a moment, Aiden didn’t quite know the nature of the feelings bubbling inside him – were they indifference, curiosity – or perhaps a cocktail of all three…..?

“Well this IS nice . Mrs Baker !” Bianca looked tanned and relaxed as she slipped into the restaurant chair to begin the battle for female power and position on the ‘ladder’ which dictated the all-important ‘dynamic

‘ of life.

“I tend to prefer Ms Vale ,actually “ replied Amanda coolly.

“Oh yes, of course……” replied Bianca, the heavily pregnant pause at the end of her response saying far more than a glut of words could have done.

After a brief pause, Amanda slowly volunteered “So, are we chase-cutting or is it small-talk over the breadsticks ?”

Bianca lingered a little before proceeding “Fine by me chase over – you know the 50 per cent shares you bought in Liam’s business – well you’re going to sell them back to him – no profit on our side of course !!”

Anticipating Amanda’s laughter and dismissive refusal –which duly came – she continued “There are of course other ways of going about things …” Despite her desire to seem unruffled throughout, she was clearly taken aback for a matter of seconds but hit back “I don’t think YOU’D have anything I‘d’ be remotely interested in ! “ Bianca pressed home her perceived advantage with “ Do certain photos of a certain businesswoman in bed with a local undesirable just before her wedding day ring any bells at all…..”

Visibly and at least temporarily recovering her composure, Amanda replied dismissively “Oh my dear, how behind the times you really are ! That’s all ANCIENT history “, and – extending her hand to display an ornate wedding ring –“ Peter forgave me for that a LONG time ago !”

Completely unruffled by the complacent smile now adorning the other woman’s face, Bianca savoured the moment before hitting back “ Oh indeed MS Vale – but these days you may just have heard of something called the internet – little or no libel laws governing it – and I’m sure your business contacts would be very interested in some strategically delivered emails giving a link to these photos and a full explanation of them, don’t YOU…?”

As Amanda’s eyes widened with realization, round one of the high-stakes female power manoeuvring would seem to have gone squarely the way of Bianca………

• 4 weeks later...

*** PART SEVENTEEN

“Woo-HOOO” Bianca gave the triumphant whoop as a smiling Liam lurched extravagantly sideways to avoid thr cork she’d just unleashed from the bottle of expensive Bollinger, bought as what she considered a fitting tribute to the outcome of her joust with Amanda. Propelling himself fully into the spirit of the occasion, Liam wiped champagne foam from his beard as he gave an elaborate bow, declaring “My heroine !”

Assuming a mock American 30s accent, she replied “Aww shucks and Lawdee sir it was nuthin, lil’ ole me took it all in mah stride… !!”

Kissing her again on the cheek he gave a contented sigh as he glanced around the length and breadth inside “Liam’s Lounge” saying “THIS is the place I’d always dreamed of ending up in, giving something BACK, you know - and I feel like I’ve kinda- COME HOME……, you get me, ….?

“Well if you think I’m carrying YOU over the threshold Mister, you can forget that NOW !” she chuckled

Smiling in acknowledgment he continued “No but SERIOUSLY Bianca you did an awesome job in getting her to sell back at that price, but nowww “ –feigning to tickle her “You HAVE to tell me how you DID it !! –after all it’s MY name above the door here Madam !

Neatly avoiding the attempted tickle-raid, she extended her tongue at him and hit back “ WELL bucko, maybe it’s about time MY name was above the door too - - - and you’re STILL not finding out how I did it !!”

They paused momentarily as Roman came down the stairs, uneasily interjecting “Not interrupting am I…”

Liam -still in the mode of his horseplay with Bianca, gigglingly assured him “ No mate, not at all – you fancy a coffee ?” But before he could answer, Liam was diverted to the front door by a clear and familiarly ominous knock. Opening the handle they heard both question and answer “Can I help you mate ?” and “Detective Sergeant Ian Sinclair, I’m following up a report of illegal substances on these premises – I do have a warrant to look around – alright to come in ?”

Behind him, Bianca’s previous joie de vivre was beginning -to drain away by the second…

Aiden finished his ‘warm-down’ , then after a quick mental audit of the “Well it couldn’t harm, could it !” variety he crossed as nonchalantly as possible over to the café, and despite attempting to appear as detatched and dis-interested as possible, was immediately hit by the fact it immediately seemed as if someone had taken a large pair of kitchen scissors to the peacefully sunlit scenario and left a jagged-edged gap where the portion he’d expected to see should have been. Brushing away a stab of concern, he leafed with unseeing eyes through the menu before drifting over to the counter. Waiting for Alf to finish an order he waited for him to come over and asked as casually as possible “ Hey Alf, did I happen to see Nicole in here a few minutes ago ?”

The older man’s brow darkened.” Yes, you flamin’ did ! – and while I know you two may not be an ..” - - drawing inverted commas in the air - - “ITEM any more , I reckon it wouldn’t do any harm at all if you were to sit that girl down and have a good yarn to her about the kind of company she’s keeping !!”

Pulse starting to race a little, but still attempting to seem casual, Aiden answered “Well, number one, you’re certainly right about the ‘item’ thing, but number two, what precisely do you mean about the company she’s keeping, Alf ?”

Giving a low grunt, he replied “Well that guy she was with is Robbie Gorton..”

“And…?”

“AND, if I tell you that Gorton mob are bad news with a capital BAD – they’re involved in crime right up to their nasty little earholes. And - I’ll tell you this for nothing -- - they make those River Boys look like a bunch of flamin’ CHOIR boys. If Angelo had dithered about sharing a restaurant with HIM he wouldn’t have haggled him down he’d have BURNT the flamin’ place down instead and moved on elsewhere, you get me ?”

Aiden’s pulse began to quicken as he realized his earlier misgivings were fast being borne out a quickened to positively frantic as Alf continued “ And though it’s just rumours, I’ve heard it said they’

Re not too fussy how they treat women either – treat ‘em rough, keep ‘em keen or some garbage like that……” –

Feeling an increasing sense of urgency Aiden cut in , asking quickly “Uh - did you see where she actually went Alf…?”

“Oh off in his ‘new car’ –flash galah thahe is – anyway –best travel,” he said , jerking his thumb towards two customers at the far end of the counter.

Barely acknoweledging his departure, Aiden suddenly found his feet stuck in the glue of a dilemma he knew in truth he shouldn‘t ALTOGETHER be facing – return to a Belle who was expecting him – or follow a Nicole who his mind and heart some would claim he was finding difficulty in fully detaching from

……..

“Can’t you guys DO anything !!! “ It was at least the fifth time a thoroughly frustrated Romeo had thrust his face into the ‘staff’ area at the front of the hemmed in ambulance and berated the two paramedics there with a similar version of the same question, on which they were effectively no more equipped to act than the first time he’d posed it.

Ruby, in truth was looking steadily worse, commensurate with the amount of time they were effectively being held hostage on the freeway. Cradling her in his arms he was providing an ongoing monologue of comfort and support – “ Come ON Rubes- just where do you reckon YOU’RE going then eh !! – what would Charlie have to say about this then !!” Not quite able to invest his words with the authority of their content he said “We’ll be at that hospital before you know it and they’ll sort you out !”-all the while hearing the pointless symphony of car hornd – the drivers clearly feeling that their one reedy car horn would or indeed culd affect the progress of an intrusive and chaotic bump well over a mile distant and as if it would somehow make the emergency services come any quicker. But, as he exhaled a big sigh, it was as if inspiration had struck twice simultaneously within the same vehicle ! Once again heading to the front seats, he was about to tap the non-driving paramedic on the shoulder again, the guy at that identical moment spun round to him as they together excitedly articulated “ What about the AIR AMBULANCE …..!!!”

Glancing back at Ruby Romeo reflected with marginally increased positivity – it was JUST a thought, but it was a tiny shaft of hope for her in what was still an against-the odds fight for the youngest Buckton……

Archived