Forgotten Truths

Guest WYN100

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HOPE YOU HAD A REALLY NICE CHRISTMAS AND NEW YEAR ! :)

***CHAPTER THIRTY

“Well we certainly are living in –interesting times, are we not !…”

Bianca and Liam’s faces betrayed scant inclination to subscribe to Robertson’s assertion, both expressions instead betraying more or less the exact opposite as his face assumed the twinkling air regarded by some as enigmatic but by others – including them, as highly aggravating.

“So exactly how long HAVE you known Damien Roberts, Mr Murphy….” He enquired, head inclined forward.

With a sigh that almost lifted a cardboard coaster off one of the adjoining tables, Liam responded wearily “Oh for PITY’s sake, I’ve already told you I DON’T know Damien Roberts and never have ! – apart from the one fact of him being Irene’s SON !!”“Really..” said Robertson, stroking his chin..

“Yes REALLY…!!”

“Well that’s very interesting - - oops, there I go again with my interesting times, eh !!….because we have a photo of Damien Roberts taken at one of your gigs around two years ago…”

Reacting as if assailed by mock guilt. Liam slapped his brow, and, extending both arms clamped together towards Robertson, exclaimed “Oh I’m SORRY – of course you must arrest me this very MINUTE ! drug user goes to pop gig sensation – ah get a life Columbo, you got NOTHING !!”

Allowing the requisite minute or so to pass for effect, the officer clapped his hands in a slow, hollow, echoing way.

“Oh BRA-VO Mr Murphy – duly admonished, I scold myself !”

“I should freakin’ well think so ! “ cut in Bianca, who’d been smouldering at the officer ready to erupt “ You’ve got less proof than for a ten year old’s game, and you…”

Robertson swivelled back, darker shades suddenly flicking across his face – “Thanks sincerely Ms Scott – so flattered – but what I DO have is another photo – one of Mr Murphy, in his dressing room, AFTER the concert, - just him – oh yes, AND – Mr Damien Roberts…” Bianca’s head swivelled sharply in Liam’s direction ,and a face betraying only the blankest of blank surprise….

“So what did it actually SAY ?”

Belle was cradling a consoling arm around Aiden after his ire had shot north at a rapid scale

It came after he’d listened to an answerphone message, and after a minute or so – though it seemed more like ten – of fitful, fretful breathing through his nose while making close accquaintance between fingernails and the palms of his hands, he responded, “It was that guy who’ standing in for Elijah when he goes off wandering from the church…”

“Oh yes, I’ve seen him once or twice about the place….”

“Well – and get ready for THIS

His face flushed shades of red as he went on “APPARENTLY we’ve booked the service for SEVEN o’clock in the morning “ As she gave an involuntary gasp he continued – jaw set square – “ we’re - - having a Gospel Choir .AND !

“Yes, go on…”

“AND - - we’ve asked for a dozen flamin’ GALAHS to be released outside the church as a sign of our love !!!”

A compressed sound akin to air escaping was evidence that Belle had found the bizarre litaby just related to her rather too humorous to keep suppressed..

Outrage and indignation blending in equal measure to hilight a growing scarlet visage he exclaimed “Oh yes ! And precisely WHICH part of this do you find FUNNY !!!!!!”

With mirth scaled down to a patient smile, she sat him down and said “Look, look – doesn’t everything you just told me just sounds all pretty funny…!”

Calming down only gingerly, like a cat burglar descending a 29 storey building, he grudgingly responded –with some lingering bitterness “Huh –FUNNY !! Well, if I ever DID get round to agreeing with that – you know what it means, don’t you..!”

“What….”

SOMEBODY’S trying to screw up our wedding, and….” –rising grimly,,”I intend to find out exactly WHO !!”

observing the emotions and intentions his face was expressing, Belle certainly wasn’t smiling any more…

“So again I open my eyes - - and yours is the first face I see !!”

John Palmer smiled as he eased himself gently up the hospital bed.

Morag smiled – “Poor you !! – no getting away from me !”

John’s face grew serious once again

“Hey you - - less of that ! You’ve seen me through - - well, let’s call it a rather ROCKY last few days – and I DO appreciate that !”

“Well…I think this last week has gone from a rather transparent drug accusation to…something a LITTLE different in very quick order !!”

John paused, his face studying hers intently before responding “Well, I’m very glad you noticed that –it’s something I’ve definitely been feeling myself….”

…....A moment’s tangible silence followed as Morag stared pensively out of the hospital room window.

Turning slowly back, she went on – almost bashfully, if that were possible for her – “As you’re probably aware, I’m not exactly in – how does the vernacular go - - my ‘comfort zone’ with this kind of thing…”

Her expression almost reached out and appealed to him to pick up the baton - - which he did…

“Well how about we – as the vernacular says…see how it goes ?” he smiled.

Her reciprocal smile froze on her face, struck as she had been by a significant thought - - “What about Gina though ….I mean you and her have been …..”

Failing to find the words to articulate the issue they were both acutely aware of, she found her hand grasped by John who assured her earnestly “Morag that won’t be an issue, really it won’t ! If I’m honest, there’s nothing TOO greatly official there anyway to my mind, plus, well = Gina can be very needy, demanding –suffocating even - ….” He broke off, noticing her head jerking imperceptibly towards the open doorway. Looking across himself he soon realized why – as he observed Xavier – a grimly smouldering expression on his face…..

• 3 weeks later...

***CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE

“And why exactly does it have to be ME who’s been doing all this then !!”

Nicole stood defiantly – if a fraction weakly -, hands on hips and eyes aflame at the recent arrival who’d so comprehensively raised her hackles.

The similar posture into which Aiden had settled directly on arriving gave the floor a distinct physical bookend-style symmetry and a very clear indication of the battle-lines that had been drawn.

“Oh now let me THINK Nicole -, there was all that stuff at the Caravan Park, the lies on Facebook , shall I go on….!!”

“Well why DON’T you, then !! Because I don’t believe you CAN ! After that stunt at the café, I held my hands up, I admitted defeat ! And, if you think back, HAS anything happened since…!!”

And, as a thought slowly unfolded on her face.” …and it was YOU that followed ME out to that Gorton place AND begged me not to tell Sid or Belle, wasn’t it !!”

Hesitating a moment, he came back with “ That’s DIFFERENT, as well you know –and as I recall you DID get in trouble there, now didn’t you !!”

“But why do you reckon ANY of this means that I’D be putting in psycho calls to the church about your wedding ??”

Face radiating cynicism he responded “Well if not you, then do tell WHO else would it be ??”

Before he could respond, his mobile phone rang, and with a mock courtly bow she said “Oh please go AHEAD Inspector, you go ahead and answer , PLEASE don’t mind me !!…”

Punching the green answer button he answered “Yep – yep this is me – what, who…you mean YOU were the one, now look just who the hell ARE you !!!! – hey, wait …!!”

The arm holding the phone hanging limp at one side , bewilderment was stamped on his features as she demanded “Well ??”

Emitting a heavy sigh he replied a little dazedly..”Well…suddenly it looks like it may NOT have been you doing all that garbage with the wedding…”

As if with a sign marked “ Vindicated” hanging above her head, Nicole’s face showed maybe a trace of curiosity but a distinct dose of satisfaction at this latest surprise development…..

Romeo’s heart was pumping and mind churning as he drove towards the venue mentioned in the urgent but not ideally timed message from Ruby. He’d hesitated only briefly despite his cocktail of curiosity and desire to discover just what the returning Indi had to say .Her reaction to his abrupt departure had to him seemed to be been in the marginal grey zone of outward acceptance but just the faintest trace of haughtiness at being constructively ‘stood up’ so soon after returning to the Bay - - but it had, after all been HER who had slipped HIM the mobile number at the Diner so there was clearly something she wanted him to know.

But all that was for another time..for now, it was all about as quick a response as possible to Ruby’s texted SOS.

He knew a shortcut to the Pine Road she’d mentioned so headed there via a chain of side streets , eventually pulling up cautiously at the corner of one that turned onto Pine Road itself. Emerging from his car and shadowing the wall to the corner he cautiously craned his head around a wall to see if he could pick up any indications.

His eyes adjusting to the light he observed to his left the fake police car with a figure – obviously Ruby- in the back seat , clearly fidgeting with some agitation. And- around 300 yards further down the pavement a figure in a police uniform stood smoking a cigarette and with him – his heart swivelled at the recognition - - was Penn Graham…!

He thought quickly. As both figures were both slightly angled in the other direction, he gathered his courage, and – dipping low he snaked to the ‘blind’ side of the parked cars and shuffled along inch by inch till he reached the car containing Ruby. Tapping as if with kid gloves on the rear side door, he greeted her shocked face with an immediate and urgent finger jammed to the lips. Motioning his intention to open the door he grabbed the handle as cautiously as if it were electrified, he eased it open a centimetre at a time, starting to lever her out as he did.

Turning very slightly in belief he’d heard something, that suspicion as instantaneously vindicated as he felt a crunching blow to the back of his skull and slipped slowly to the tarmac road……

“So how come you never mentioned knowing this…Damien, then….”

Bianca’s eyes narrowed a fraction as she turned to ask the question, while Robertson swivelled elaborately, and stroking his chin a la Sherlock Holmes part-mimicked “Hmm yes Mr Murphy, how COME you never mentioned knowing MISTER Damien Roberts !….”

Studiously ignoring the law officer Liam leant back in his seat, clasped his hands behind his head and directed his comments towards Bianca ,”Babe, the number of years I toured, the number of people I met, and..” indicating a vague circle above his head and inclining his head a fraction towards Robertson “ …sorry Mr Columbo – the amount of times I was, as you may say - - -a little out of it…. You just AIN’T going to remember every body. face and name you meet - - end of !”

“Do you know, that’s fascinating Mr Murphy !” said Robertson after a brief pause and shaking his head in obviously mock admiration at what he’d heard “Truly fascinating and I think letting you go here and now could be a very appropriate next step…”

As he walked over to where he’d thrown his coat, Liam and Bianca exchanged happy and excited glances – until – the enigmatic lawman stopped and said “UNLESS of course I had a sworn witness assuring me he was your regular drug pusher – up until very recently indeed-, so…” – raising his hand to quell the inevitable denials “If, as my American counterparts would say, could I please ask you to accompany me – down town ?”

Still muttering darkly as they grabbed coats and made preparations to leave, they

‘d almost reached the door before Bianca’s mobile rang. Answering it quickly before Robertson could raise objections, she responded “Irene – yes – what ? Oh no, that can’t BE !! “ As the others looked on questioningly, little did Robertson know that the contents of that call could prove to be a complete game-changer in his plans for Liam…

Archived