9/11

Guest Miranda

I can't imagine what Al Qaida thought the USA would do after they attacked it- fall down and give up? Al Qaida directly made the USA persecute all those countries far worse than it would have done otherwise, so really they have directly brought the war and persecution on themselves and their own countries. Crazy. But then that is the nature of terrorists.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Al-Qaeda knew that the US would be after them. They had been after Bin Laden for years. The main disadvantage when tackling Al Qaeda is that they are a global terrorist organisation with a network all over the world. Whether the US was right or not to invade Afghanistan that was never going to stop them. Even if they had completely wiped out Afghanistan Al Qaeda would have simply regrouped (which is what they have done effectively anyway). Kind of like the monster where you chop of one head and it forms another one (name escapes me). I agree with people to a certain extent who say the only way to stop terrorism is to address the root causes. If you can prevent or stop them from becoming terrorists in the first place that’s half the job done.

Don’t agree with Al Qaeda directly making the US persecute other countries as most of the 9/11 terrorists were from Saudi Arabia and they are a close ally of the US. Also the US went on to attack Iraq and they had absolutely nothing to do with 9/11. Saudi Arabia were more involved with 9/11 than Iraq were.

I can't imagine what Al Qaida thought the USA would do after they attacked it- fall down and give up? Al Qaida directly made the USA persecute all those countries far worse than it would have done otherwise, so really they have directly brought the war and persecution on themselves and their own countries. Crazy. But then that is the nature of terrorists.

True, but it looks as though the US could overstretch itself and collapse in the process of fighting all these wars, like the Soviets did with Afghanistan and Rome before that.

Don’t agree with Al Qaeda directly making the US persecute other countries as most of the 9/11 terrorists were from Saudi Arabia and they are a close ally of the US. Also the US went on to attack Iraq and they had absolutely nothing to do with 9/11. Saudi Arabia were more involved with 9/11 than Iraq were.

Well, Al Qaeda did make the US persecute other countries because it gave them a handy excuse- 'we must go to war to rout out these terrorists, they could be in any country [including ones with dictators which we have been after for years], lets get going!' Before 9/11 there was a lot more disapproval of US barging in on other countries; after it people began to side with them more due to the horrific terrorist attack which was done in full view of everyone.

Well, Al Qaeda did make the US persecute other countries because it gave them a handy excuse- 'we must go to war to rout out these terrorists, they could be in any country [including ones with dictators which we have been after for years], lets get going!' Before 9/11 there was a lot more disapproval of US barging in on other countries; after it people began to side with them more due to the horrific terrorist attack which was done in full view of everyone.

1. Al Qaeda didn’t make the US do anything. The US decided to attack Afghanistan and then attack Iraq. You could argue with the former that they felt they didn’t have a choice but they did with the latter and even if 9/11 hadn’t happened they would have deposed Saddam eventually. There were major strategic interests involved and the US have been doing this sort of thing since World War II whether by direct means or by proxy. They’ve bombed dozen’s of countries since the Second World War so they are more than happy to get involved if need be. Their foreign policy for the last half a century has generally remained the same.

2. If you want to blame Al Qaeda for forcing the US to attack other countries you can turn that around and say the main reason why they had so much support (particularly in the middle east) and went on to commit the atrocities of 9/11 was for over 50 years the US supported tyrannical regimes who oppressed their own people. As a by-product this fuelled Islamic Fundamentalism (at the time it was seen a necessary evil for a steady supply of oil and also the alternative communism was infinitely worse). If you want to go back further we can blame the Russians for occupying Eastern Europe (causing the Americans to support the despots in the first place). Blame the Germans for starting World War II and attacking Russia (which forced Russia to defend themselves and basically own half of Europe). Blame Britain, France, Belgium and the rest of the allied powers for the Versailles treaty which eventually forced economic ruin in Germany, high unemployment allowing Hitler to rise to power. Blame Serbia for the assassination of the heir to the Austrian-Hungarian throne which started World War I. Better still just blame Britain for everything. More than half the problems on this planet are result of the former colonial rule of the British Empire.

EDIT: The last part was a joke. Hope my post isn't taken the wrong way. :)

Oh, Slade you numpty! I was just about to have a go at you, because as usual I have about 2 seconds to just nip in and out of BTTB before rushing off to do something else :P

I think we'll have to agree to disagree about Al Qaida because I still think they were the catalyst for the US going off to war again but this time with more support than before :rolleyes:

Oh, Slade you numpty! I was just about to have a go at you, because as usual I have about 2 seconds to just nip in and out of BTTB before rushing off to do something else :P

I think we'll have to agree to disagree about Al Qaida because I still think they were the catalyst for the US going off to war again but this time with more support than before :rolleyes:

I’m distraught. And there was me looking forward to your comeback. Shame. :wink:

Maybe 'technically', but I think it was because Germany invaded Poland when they had signed a treaty to say they wouldn't. And we know what the Nazis did to the Poles :( Ask our war expert, Mr Slade :whistle:

Slade, if only I had the time for comebacks these days. But then again, at least I don't have such a boring life as I used to, so that is better :rolleyes:

Archived