Abortion

Guest Emma

I took the liberty of thinking people would understand when I was referring to Disability, that I was referring to a woman who had amniocentisis tests done and the like, and HAD A CHOICE, *BEFORE* the baby was born. Unfortunately, I over-estimated my audience a bit I see, as I'm rather amused at the replies to me on that. I NEVER SAID that disabled people don't have the right to live. My point, and coming from someone who has seen the impact that a severely mentally and physically disabled child/person can have on siblings and family, is that IF, noticed I said *IF* the mother decides to have pre-natal tests; and I realise a lot of these tests were not always scientifically available, some until recently, that can detect these things, and she decides to still bring the child out into the world, then fine. But on the UNDERSTANDING, that she pays for the child/adult for the REST OF THEIR ENTIRE LIFE. I truly, logically, and reasonably, do not think that is an unreasonable thing to ask. If a person has had tests done that show there is a severe problem, or a problem that will need LIFETIME care, then they should pay for it themselves and not apply for carer pension or respite. I really hoenstly, do not think that is unreasonable, and I think those that even refuse to even just STOP for a minute and THINK about what I'm saying here, they are the ones being unreasonable, and selfish. I think many of you clearly foamed at the mouth and rushed off an indignant reply, without even taking the time to READ, COMPREHEND, and to really THINK about what I said.

As to someone else who said you can feel your 'baby' inside of you at 6 weeks, don't be ridiculous! The 'baby' at 6 weeks isn't even as big as an m n' m. You cannot 'feel' your baby inside of you until the baby starts moving/kicking, and that is well into the pregnancy. When the baby's body forms. And that is several months in.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^

I totally respect your opinion but personally don't believe for one second that if people choose to go ahead with their pregnancy knowing their child is disabled that they shouldn't be entitled to support and financial help from the government. Looking at it from the other side, if a person found out their unborn child was going to be disabled and the thought of an abortion went against everything they believed in and they would find it traumatising but couldnt financially support their child because of the disability, do you still believe they should be forced to go through with the abortion simply because of money?

Just in case people were interested in knowing, I've listed below some of the fetal developments that occur and at which gestational age during the early stages:

0-4 weeks: Heart develops and begins to beat

Covered with a layer of skin

Gender determined

4-8 weeks: Blood is pumped around the vessels

Head and facial features develop

Early movements

Visible on ultrasound from 6 weeks

Lower respiratory system begins

8-12 weeks: Urine passed

Fingernails develop

Eyelids fuse

Swallowing begins

From 12 weeks the heart can be heard through sonicaid (listening device)

I'm 100% Pro-Choice. Having sad that though, I do believe that if a woman doesn't want to have a baby then they should be careful and encourrage using protection with their partner. Besides, who are we to say a woman must go through with a pregnancy if she doesn't wish to? It should be her choice because it's her body.

I'm Pro-Choice. I completely agree with this. I don't think we should judge women who decided to have the procedure - but to an extent I do think it is wrong. Then again, we don't know the circumstances of the situation. I think if the mother's health - physically and emotionally - will be affected, then I'm all for termination. Like Shan said, it's completely the woman's choice because it's her body.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a very ethical question, my opinions are that no matter what stage the baby is at it is wrong. Even if a girl was raped the child should be allowed to live it was not the fault of the child. Many people out there want kids but are not able to have them for many reasons and want to adobt, so the child should be put up for adobtion. In my opinion I think that killing a child whether it unborn or born is still murder. Is it not wrong to kill any living thing? I believe yes it is and therefore killing an unborn baby is wrong because it is a living thing, it may not be born yet but it still can feel pain. And many mothers know you can feel it growing inside of you.

Just my opinion on the matter, no personal attacks intended and I am very sorry if I insulted anyone during my little ethical rant.

P.S. I study ethics and am very opinionated when it comed to things like this.

Without meaning to offend, it makes me angry that men go all moral and protest against something they'll never have to consider or complement in their life time. They'll never be able to grasp the emotional and physical consequences of pregnancy and giving birth and giving that, in most cases, the mother is the primary caregiver, it's a little unfair that men get to make these choices for women.

KirstyEkua, you sum up exactly what I think. Thank you. Men obviously have a right to an opinion, but they should not judge women or condemn them, or use emotional scare tactics to persuade women to do something they don't want to do for very good reasons.

It must be very easy and pleasing to be able to stand on a lofty tower and condemn the female sex, but that is not fair or broad minded. I would hope that young men who judge and condemn will realise as they get older that the world is not black and white, but various shades of grey and everyone makes the best decision they can at the time, taking the best option they can out of two awful options. I mean this in relation to everything people do, not just abortion.

I am deaf and my parents knew that I would be before my mother gave birth and she did actually come very close to having an abortion but didnt for her own reasons but I am disabled but I am still human. My feelings still count! I am sick of people assuming that disabled children/adults are unable to do anything for themselves because it isnt the case.

• 7 months later...

When women are too careless to use contraception or use abortion as a form of 'contraception,' they should be denied the right to have an abortion, especially if they don't care about what they are doing. I think this case is especially important when some women miscarry or cannot even conceive a child & to get pregnant & the idea of 'it doesn't matter because I have an abortion anyway' is stupid. I disagree with that. My mum miscarried her third child & decided not to try again because she had me & my sister. They think it's because the baby was a boy & she couldn't carry boys. Whether or not I will have any similar issues when I'm older, I don't know, so I don't condone people aborting a baby because they can't be bothered to go to their doctor and ask them for the pill or any other form of contraception.

I agree with this, i dont think its right for poeple to get rid of babies just because they couldn't be bothered to use contraception especially as there are people all around the world desperate for children and are unable to have them.

However i feel that aborting a baby because it is a product of rape or it would have been born with serious disablities is different. If a person has a baby that is a product of rape the mother might not be able to connect with the baby. If the child was to be born with disabilities i think that parents should be able to abort the pregnancy as the child might not have a good quality of life or may cause a lot of stress on the parents.

I know that some people might disagree with this but that is how I feel.

Archived