Confusion And Frustration In Modern Times

Guest Lauz

Story Title: Confusion and Frustration in Modern Times

Type of story: Long fic

Main Characters: Charlie/Joey

BTTB rating: T/A

Genre: Romance, Drama, Angst

Does story include spoilers: No (Yes for any non-Australian viewers)

Any warnings: Adult themes, Sexual content, Language

Summary: Charlie/Joey, the story so far...

NB: I'm having a bad case of writer's block at the moment, so I'm not 100% happy with this story and may edit portions later. Let me know whether you think I should continue to write this story.

Chapter 1. Charlie's POV

I really should have seen this coming. She had taken a strong liking to me, but I always imagined it was only because of her current situation. I should have noticed her gentle, brown eyes gazing intently into mine. If only...

“No friends, no job, nowhere to stay.” I can clearly remember her telling me that, after that insensitive jerk of a brother offered no support. It was a strange moment, bringing Joey to Leah's house. I knew taking a personal interest in her case wasn't the wisest idea, but that didn't matter at the time. And considering I was basically the reason she no longer had a home, I was prepared to do anything for her. We started to spent hours together, constantly joking and laughing. I had become quite fond of having her around, even if she did rave about boats an awful lot. Still... seeing her smile was enough to know I'd done something right. Joey was happy. Yet I was blissfully unaware that the possibility of her developing feelings for me could arise. Even Ruby had addressed the issue, and I really wished she hadn't. I could feel myself starting to act cautiously around Joey, but I wanted nothing more than just to continue our friendship. The reason for being so hesitant around her was simple. I didn't want her to develop feelings for me. At least, that's what I kept telling myself to ease my thoughts. I could continue to avoid the matter, but it was clear. I was falling for Joey.

I let out a heavy sigh and collapsed on the bed, the pillows cushioning my neck.

“Joey…” I whispered breathlessly.

A single tear ran down my cheek as I closed my tired eyes, wanting nothing more than to drift off to sleep where my mind could rest.

A typical day for me would be a long and tiresome shift at the police district. Each morning felt like the same routine, like my life had already been decided. I would wake up, and generally drink excessive amounts of coffee before rummaging through my wardrobe for a clean police uniform to wear to work. After running a comb through my knotty brown hair I would hurriedly brush my teeth and rush out the door. Work was no better than my home life. As soon as I set foot in the police district one of my colleagues would bombard me with paperwork that had to be done immediately. All day I would sit quietly at my desk and complete my duties, unless of course there was some incident that required my attention. And it was safe to say there generally was.

However, today I had something different on my agenda. Since Leah had kindly hinted that she wanted the house to be vacated, Joey thought it would be fitting that we spent lunch together. A harmless idea, considering I did need to eat. I wasn't surprised when she announced our new lunch location. She was so excited about the combination of food and boats, and I wasn't going to very well break her cheerfulness. After all, it was only lunch. A nice simple afternoon with Joey... which left me more confused than ever.

The outing began like any other traditionally would. We gossiped about random happenings, enjoyed a lovely lunch and I even learnt how to handle a boat. Joey seemed to be enjoying herself, and I was too. So much that I canceled my 'coffee catch-up' to continue being in her company. I almost had to laugh, remembering how I allowed myself to dance that horribly in public. But for the sake of having a good time, I let Joey pull me onto my feet to be immersed in the music. And then...

Trust your breath in me for a moment, we'll lose the world.

I felt her hand slip slowly into mine, as she looked longingly into my anxious eyes. I couldn't remember feeling so many emotions at once before. My heart was beating so rapidly I thought it might explode. I tried to compose myself as she edged closer towards me, lightly stroking my hand. And then whatever rational thought I'd managed to savour disappeared when I looked into her peaceful eyes. I stopped thinking completely and let instinct take control. As she reached for free hand my body started to tremble, her touch paralyzing my senses. We were so close that I could feel her warm breath tickling my skin as our hands entwined.

And then my eyes filled with panic and I snapped back into reality. A reality where I couldn't possibly act on my feelings for Joey, no matter how strong. She just stood there as I ran away from the boat and the tender moment we just shared. I can't even imagine what she must have thinking, but I didn't care. At least not at the time. All I wanted to do was forget today ever happened, even though deep down I knew that was impossible.

Love only hurts.

Archived