Quite Interesting

Guest Miranda

I like to find out about things and always watch QI [a light hearted British TV show]. If anyone else watches this or just likes discussing interesting facts, do join in.

I just found out that in the battle of Culloden in Scotland [1745], the Stewarts [loyal to Scotland] were fighting against the Campbells [loyal to England]. My husband said that a friend of his still gets treated badly by Scots because her surname is Campbell, after all these centuries :o

So anyway, it made me think in that case, perhaps Alf and his family should be dead against Geoff and Annie and start a feud :whistle:

The pettiness is unbelievable isn't it :rolleyes:

Although I had a discussion with an American friend once who was going on about how brilliant it was that America beat England in the war of Independence and weren't we Brits still cross because we'd lost America. So I had to disillusion her and tell her that actually your average person in England neither knows nor cares that America used to belong to England, it was just another long ago foreign war to us :lol:

The pettiness is unbelievable isn't it :rolleyes:

Although I had a discussion with an American friend once who was going on about how brilliant it was that America beat England in the war of Independence and weren't we Brits still cross because we'd lost America. So I had to disillusion her and tell her that actually your average person in England neither knows nor cares that America used to belong to England, it was just another long ago foreign war to us :lol:

I just watched some qi on youtube,should be interesting but Amedica actually belonged to the Indians and before that .. i think the Indians deserve the name really but i know what you mean hope you know what i mean hope i know what i mean :huh:

but I love this stuff

Apocalypto is one of my favorites movies a Mel Gibson film I can watch it over and over again it's awesome cruel but real

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within :)

and at the end of the film the Christians arrive :wink: boohoo! an open end!!!

Yes you are right, America did belong to the Indians/ Native Americans/ whatever they are called now. It just annoyed me that Americans think Britain is so focussed on them and their country, and losing control of them, whereas in fact we have fought so many wars and battles over countries that we have lost count :lol:

That is a good quotation about civilisation :D

The thing I like about QI is that it seems that most things we think we know are in fact false e.g. Alexander Graham Bell did not invent the telephone as we have been taught, but instead it was an Italian bloke whose ideas and plans were stolen by Bell :o

Yes you are right, America did belong to the Indians/ Native Americans/ whatever they are called now. It just annoyed me that Americans think Britain is so focussed on them and their country, and losing control of them, whereas in fact we have fought so many wars and battles over countries that we have lost count :lol:

That is a good quotation about civilisation

The thing I like about QI is that it seems that most things we think we know are in fact false e.g. Alexander Graham Bell did not invent the telephone as we have been taught, but instead it was an Italian bloke whose ideas and plans were stolen by Bell :o

Yes i think it's normal everyone's proud of on'es own country why else would we all have national athems :D

Alexander Graham The Thief was white a big advantage in that time and only now we know after the gsm got invented.

This hasn't aired in ukqi but anyway i was wondering if you know who invented those delicious french fries you eat every week at Mc Donalds...it were the...? the...? :D

People use to think patatoes were yucky and was food for the pigs :lol:

My husband said that a friend of his still gets treated badly by Scots because her surname is Campbell, after all these centuries :o

In this day and age i find it rather hard to believe that someone would get treated badly because of their surname. If people are treating people badly because of the persons surname then i think its time to grow up. Why keep something going that happened hundreds of years ago.

So anyway, it made me think in that case, perhaps Alf and his family should be dead against Geoff and Annie and start a feud :whistle:

:lol: Hehe. Now that would be a funny storyline!!

superman's girlfriend - This hasn't aired in ukqi but anyway i was wondering if you know who invented those delicious french fries you eat every week at Mc Donalds...it were the...? the...?

People use to think patatoes were yucky and was food for the pigs

That would be the Belgians!?! So shouldnt they be called Belgian fries........

I think the reason people eat lots of anything is because of campaigns by certain food industries e.g. the dairy industry insists humans need to drink loads of cows milk, even though we have already been weaned, just because they are trying to justify all the cows they breed.

I couldn't believe it about the woman being treated badly because of her surname either, but I can't imagine why she would lie. How petty of the people harrassing her. When I lived in Wales I was amazed at the anti English feeling which still exists too.

Archived