Tammin's new role.

Guest tamminmad

By Borys Kit and Kimberly Nordyke

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Watch out Disney! Nickelodeon is sharpening its notes to create its own high school musical.

The Viacom-owned kids network will next month start shooting the TV movie "Spectacular!" a music-themed comedy set in high school.

Although "Spectacular!" is designed as a one-off, Nick is holding options on the stars for potential sequels. No airdate has been set, though the movie is intended to join the ranks of other original live-action programming on Nick, including the hit series "Zoey 101" and "iCarly."

"Spectacular!" which has been kept below the radar, centers on a preppy high school student (Australian Tammin Sursok) who is part of the school's Spectacular! choir. The group is in sad shape, with its most talented members either having graduated or been stolen away by a rival squad. The teen sees salvation in a cocky rocker (Canadian Nolan Funk), who reluctantly joins "Spectacular!" to win a money prize that would finance his rock 'n' roll dreams. But the rocker doesn't factor in falling for the preppy girl.

Robert Iscove ("She's All That") is directing the film, which will shoot in Vancouver.

Nick stresses that "Spectacular!" is not a classic musical. The songs in the movie will be performance-based rather than featuring characters suddenly breaking out into song like in Disney's "High School Musical."

Disney unearthed a gold mine with "Musical," which became a surprise hit upon its debut in January 2006. The sequel, which aired in August, broke records for cable viewership, and the soundtrack was the second-best-selling album of 2007.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

http://www.reuters.com/article/televisionN...134559420080331

Sounds like good news to me, not that I like those sorts of movies, but it's Tammin so I can't say no. :P

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tammin's spectacular new role

Former Home & Away star Tammin Sursok has landed a spectacular role in the upcoming Nickelodeon-produced telemovie Spectacular!

According to The Hollywood Reporter, 24-year-old Sursok will star in the musical as a preppy high-school student who's a member of her school's rundown choir. The choir's fortunes start to look up when a brash rocker (Nolan Funk) reluctantly joins the choir hoping to win a cash prize; naturally, it's not long before he falls for the preppy girl.

If the "singing high school students" plot sounds suspiciously similar to High School Musical, that's because it is: Nickelodeon is positioning the film as a rival to the hit Disney franchise.

Spectacular! will be helmed by She's All That director Robert Iscove, with shooting slated to kick off in Vancouver in April. The cast has been optioned for sequels, should the film prove successful.

Sursok first came to fame playing the sweet-as-pie Dani in Home & Away. In 2004 she quit the series and, after attempting to launch a pop career in her home country, jetted off to the States to try her luck. She currently stars as Colleen Carlton in The Young and the Restless.

http://www.yourtv.com.au/news/index.cfm?i=133078

• 3 months later...

Archived