Just A Flicker of Hope

Guest matticus01

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well here it is, I know it took a while but I've been flat out with study and all this other crap . . .

Chapter 15

As the sun rose over Summer Bay the next morning, birds started chirping outside Matilda’s bedroom window as the sun slowly shone through the curtains, squinting her eyes to focus on the light pouring through her window she ran her fingers through her hair and sighed . . . remembering what Cassie had said last night while crying into Mattie’s shoulders and pouring her heart out.

Feeling light headed and dazed Matilda had finally gotten Cassie to go into the spare bedroom, that funnily enough both girls called it ‘Cassie’s other bedroom’ and had finally settled her down enough so that Cassie slowly drifted off to sleep.

Pulling herself up in bed she listened as there was complete silence throughout the house. Pulling the covers away from her she got out of bed and walked out of her room and listened again but still . . . silence.

Walking down the hall she stopped at Cassie’s open bedroom door and saw her still asleep . . . with Ric lying beside her with his arms wrapped around her to keep her warm, safe, comfortable and loved.

Smiling to herself she walked out into the kitchen and pulled out a bowl from the cupboard, along with a spoon from the draw below it and the cereal from a few centimetres from the sink. Placing them on the table she walked over to the fridge and grabbed the milk out, along with some orange juice and made her way over to the table.

Sitting down, she grabbed the cereal marked ‘Fruit Loops’ and started pouring them in the bowl just as Cassie walked through the kitchen door.

Stretching her arms out over her head she yawned and rubbed her eyes as she grabbed a bowl off the wash rack and sat down next to Mattie.

“How are you feeling?” Matilda asked as she poured her cereal into a bowl, along with the milk and picked up her spoon as Cassie also poured her bowl of cereal and milk.

“Fine!” Cassie replied as she picked up a spoonful of cereal and milk and munched away on it.

“Cass…’

“I said I’m fine Mattie” Cassie cut her off as Matilda kept her gaze firmly on Cassie and watched as her friend started shoving the contents in her mouth to try and get away from prying eyes.

“You not fine Cass, your biting my head off so you can’t be fine…’

“Mattie will you just drop it” Cassie said, her voice slightly raised and saddened at the same time.

“Just because your life is so perfect, you have an amazing boyfriend who is going to live, you have a normal family and a life to live, don’t go around trying to get every body else’s life to be like yours because it just won’t happen!’ Cassie yelled as she dropped her spoon and looked at Matilda, who looked back at her with hurt and angry eyes.

Choking back a sob Cassie clutched her mouth and jumped from the seat before running out the front door before Mattie could even speak a word.

She sat on the beach, taking in the sweet smell of the ocean. Her hair blew calmly to the wind, singing a soft tone that no one could hear. The sun beamed down with a warm glaze that made her spine send tingles through her body but there was one thing she was hiding, one thing that she couldn’t come to terms with, even though finding out her boyfriend and the love of her life was dying wasn’t bad enough but she couldn’t face this.

She closed her eyes as a single tear fell from her eye and slid down her cheek. Taking a deep breath she re-opened them and looked out over the glazing, sparkling light Blue Ocean that she wished she could follow to see where it took her. She didn’t want to think about life without Ric because it was just too unbearable at this time but she had to stay strong, not only for her because she had more important things to worry about now.

She saw Cassie sitting on the beach, looking out over the ocean and she envied her. Martha and Jack had finally been reunited after six months of not being together but Cassie didn’t have to worry about that, all Cassie had to worry about was school.

Putting her head in her hands she sighed and wondered what life would be like to be care free, single, a free spirit. But Martha loved Jack and she knew Jack loved her so nothing else seemed to matter right now, well that’s what she thought anyway. Why did life have to give her this news, whether Martha wanted it or not was completely out of the question but now it would affect the rest of her life and Jack would have to deal with that, whether he liked it or not.

Chapter 16

Someones pregnant . . . but who?

And someone else is hiding a secret . . . who and what is it?

And finally, Lucas comes back to the Bay . . . but is he here to stay?

Here's the next chapter . . . .

Enjoy :)

Chapter 16

“Ric you have to talk to her, she isn’t coping with this!” Matilda said as Ric nodded solemnly in defeat as they had been talking about Cassie’s meltdown for about half an hour.

“OK Mattie! I’ll talk to her, I cant guarantee she’s talk to me but I’ll try…’ Ric said as Matilda rolled her eyes and shook her head.

“Ric she’s upset because she loves you, so your most likely the only one who can talk to her. Ric I know its not good to bottle things up, look what happened with me after I came here…’

“Ok Mattie ok I’ll talk to her” Ric said as he raised his hands.

“Ok, well I’m going to have a shower, I have plans today!” Mattie said as she jumped to her feet and looked at Ric who was grinning at her.

“What?” she asked looking at him as he laughed.

“I didn’t know…Aden… could make someone so happy” Ric said as Matilda picked up a pillow and threw it at him.

“Shut up! Look I know Aden’s this big, bad boy and everything but… he makes me feel, alive, happy, in love again and I only got to feel that once and then he left so Im moving on” Matilda said as Ric nodded and smiled up at her.

“I’m glad Mattie, you deserve to be happy!” Ric said as Matilda smiled and walked into the hallway toward the bathroom and out of sight.

Some minutes later Ric heard the water from the shower start running and as he looked around the empty lounge room he felt somewhat overwhelmed by everything that had happened over the last few months. Looking at the photo’s of Beth, Matilda, Henry and the family made him wish that he didn’t have this cancer because of all the things he would be missing out on in life.

Looking up at the front door he saw Aden standing there, both guys looked a little shocked but Aden was the first to speak.

“Ahhh Ric is Mattie home?” Aden asked as Ric just kept staring at him. Ric ran his fingers through his hair and realised he was staring.

“Oh ummm yeah… Mattie! Aden’s here!” Ric yelled toward the bathroom.

“Come in mate!” Ric said as Aden smirked and walked in, also taking in the warm, loving surroundings before him.

“Be there in a minute!” they both heard Matilda yell out.

Sitting at the bar she sipped away on her fruit smoothie, wondering how she was going to be able to get through this, how Jack was going to handle the news. Martha sighed as she looked around, making sure there was no one around before reaching into her bag and pulling out a small casket, removing the lid from her smoothie and pouring the contents into it. As she replaced the lid on both drinks she replaced the casket back in her bag and stirred her smoothie before drinking it again.

Martha finished her smoothie and got to her feet, she felt a little light headed because she had been sneaking drinks for most of the day when no one was around or looking. Picking up her bag she slowly walked away from the bar. Not even noticing she was outside until the bright, warm rays of the sun hit her, making her stumble a bit at how warm it actually was outside.

“Ok ready!” Matilda said as she walked into the lounge wearing a light flower flowing skirt that ended at her feet and a nice flowing white top that moved every time she did. Her now wavy hair made her look somewhat bohemian, free spirited and warm and both Aden and Ric couldn’t stop looking at her.

“Mattie you look… gorgeous!” Aden said as Matilda smiled and took his hand.

“Have a great time guys!” Ric said as Matilda waved as both her and Aden left the house.

Cassie walked into the diner and looked around the room. She envied all her fellow students right now because yes they were in love, yes they were happy but no, not one of them looked like there world had come tumbling down in the space of one day. Turning around to leave she ran smack bang right into him.

His blonde hair was ruffled and he was wearing boardies and a bonzee that showed off his light tan and muscular arms.

Martha sat on the beach sipping from her casket as the sun beamed down onto her skin making her start to sweat. Looking at her jeans she was wearing she giggled and unzipped them, kicking off her thongs she was wearing and laying back, pulling the jeans from her tender legs to reveal a pair of mini black shorts.

Pulling her top over her head to reveal a bikini top she scrunched up her top and lay back, making herself comfortable on the warm sand beneath her. How was she going to tell Jack that she was unable to have children.

“Lucas!” Cassie said as Lucas smiled as Cassie threw her arms around him.

“Hey Cass what’s happening?” Lucas said as he hugged Cassie before Cassie pulled away.

“Lucas what…what are you doing back here I thought you…how long are you back for?” Cassie asked as Lucas’s face fell as Cassie looked at him.

“I’m only here for a couple of days unfortunately but I wanted to see Mattie and…’ Lucas watched as Cassie’s face fell and she put her head down.

“What?” Lucas asked as Cassie looked up at him and went to speak but nothing came out.

“Cass, what’s going on, has something happened to Mattie?” Lucas asked as Cassie shook her head.

“No, no its not that she, she’s fine she’s just…Lucas Mattie’s with someone else!” Cassie said as Lucas looked at her in complete shock.

“She…what?” Lucas asked as Cassie looked down again.

“No she cant have we made a pact and…’

“Lucas its been six months and she hasn’t had a phone call or any letter’s from you…’ Cassie said as Lucas looked at her in confusion.

“Cass I wrote to her every day. I sent another letter yesterday and there are even gifts in some of them.” Lucas said as Cassie looked at him in confusion.

Opening the curtains in Cassie’s ‘other’ bedroom he watched as the sun poured through the window and illuminated the room with light. Looking around at the pile of clothes on the floor he laughed to himself. Looking at the messed up bed he grabbed the sheets and fixed them, and then pulled the doona up which instantly made the room look a little neater.

Walking over to the bin he grabbed the bag and heaved it out and just as he was about to tie it up he noticed something odd in the bin. Pulling it out he looked at the box.

Opening the box he pulled out the contents in it and looked at the two pink strips before looking at the box again and reading the instructions.

Home Pregnancy test

Blue strip = negative

Pink strips = positive

Looking at the packet again he sighed as suddenly everything came flooding back to him. Cassie’s mood swings, her bigger breasts and how she kept saying to him she didn’t feel too well.

“Oh my god!” Ric said to himself.

“Cassie’s pregnant!”

Chapter 17

Will Lucas win Matilda back?

Martha goes missing... whats happened to her?

How will Cassie react when Ric talks to her?

:o

Update soon. :D

thanks maccaz :)

next chapter will be up soon . . . :)

I've started a new fic so I want to try and finish this one before I post my new one in here...am making a video and all for my new fic lol . . .

So I wanna get this finished by 30 chapters if I can :D

Here is chapter 17 . . .

Hope you like...

Chapter 17

Cassie and Lucas were walking along the beach, not much had been said since Lucas found out Matilda had moved on and Cassie still hadn’t said anything about Ric being sick. Lucas knew something else was up but he didn’t want to push her just in case.

“Luc, why do you think Beth kept the letters hidden from Mattie?” Cassie asked as she looked up at Lucas to try and figure out what was going on.

“I have…no idea, I suppose to protect her or to help her move on or…’ Lucas voice trailed off and he suddenly stopped in his tracks.

“What?” Cassie asked stopping also and turning to look at him.

“Mum!” was all Lucas said as Cassie didn’t quiet understand what he was talking about.

“What…’ she started a little confused as Lucas cut her off.

“Mum told Beth to do it, of course…She tried to do it to Jack and Martha. Wanted us to be with a nice, respectable, wealthy girl instead of ‘trash’… Lucas mimicked his mother’s words in disgust.

“You mean…’ Cassie started as Lucas nodded as Cassie’s mouth dropped open.

“How could your mother do something like that?” Cassie asked as Lucas laughed and shook his head.

“It’s so obvious now. Because mum done it. I mean neither Jack or I have even met dad’s side of the family, we… got told they were no longer part of the family, now I know why, because dad wasn’t wealthy and mum fell for him anyway and doesn’t want me or Jack doing the same as she did” Lucas spat in anger and distrust.

“So what are you going to do?” Cassie asked as Lucas looked at her and smiled.

“I’m going to divorce my mother and win back the love of my life, that’s what I’m going to do” Lucas said as he started making his way up the beach with Cassie right behind him.

She slowly opened her eyes and felt the rays of the sun beaming down on her brown skin. Covering her eyes with her hand she felt some what dehydrated and knew she must have fallen asleep. Pushing herself up slightly, she looked around and saw that there were more people on the beach then when she had first arrived. Picking up her shirt that she had fallen asleep on she shook it off and threw it in her bag, along with her jeans that were lying beside her, where she had first taken them off.

Picking up her bag she climbed to her feet and made her way up the beach. Making her way around the corner of the surf club and rested against the wall as her had started to spin and she started feeling dizzy and light headed.

“Are you alright?” she heard a male voice speak as she looked up at him she tried to make out a person but got nothing as her eyes were completely blurred.

“No I…I don’t feel so good…’ she slurred as she felt herself starting to shake and sweat.

“Your Jack Holden’s girl, aren’t you?” the male asked as she nodded in reply as a lump formed in the back of her throat.

“Its ok, I’ll help you home!” he replied as he walked toward her.

Cassie walked into Matilda’s house as she saw Ric sitting on the couch with that angry, disappointed and sad look on his face. Walking over to him she sat down next to him as he looked at her.

“Ric wha…what’s going on?” Cassie asked looking worried that Ric was looking so disappointed with her.

“Why didn’t you tell me Cass?” he asked as her eye brow lowered in confusion.

“Tell you what Ric? Ric what’s going on?” Cassie asked as Ric reached behind him and pulled out the box that he had kept hidden from her as her eyes widened in shock and she just looked at him.

Chapter 18

Whats happened to Martha?

Lucas see's Aden and Matilda together...but will she see him?

Archived