• Created
  • Last Reply

its an update !!! its a long update !!!

enjoy :)

CHAPTER 5

“Mum,” Martha called up the stairs, “I’m going down to the beach!”

“Again?” Ruth said, coming down the stairs, “You just went yesterday.”

Martha shrugged.

“Bye,” she said, walking out the door. Martha bounced down the few steps that led up to the front door of their house and walked along the pebble pathway that led straight to the beach. It was only a short walk, maybe a couple of minutes, but the walk was beautiful.

On the way Martha passed trees, bushes, she didn’t pass any cars or roads or anything that she was used to. She took a deep breath and instead of breathing in the polluted air of the city where she had once lived, she inhaled a lung full of fresh air.

She smiled and threw back her head, enjoying the laid-back lifestyle of this place. Starting to smell the salty water and feeling the cool ocean breeze on her cheek, the excitement of reaching the beach took over her body and she ran the rest of the way.

Finally reaching her destination, Martha rest her hands on the wooden fence and allowed herself to get her breath back. She looked out at the waves, rolling into shore and at the perfectly yellowed sand.

She began to fidget, her feet longing to feel that soft sand running over them. But Martha couldn’t bring herself to move, the view was too perfect. Though the beach could not be seen from the bottom level of her house, Martha had the most spectacular view from her bedroom window.

Her bedroom, which had once been her mother’s, was perfect for Martha. It was full of memories and mysteries, Martha could tell as soon as she walked into it. Her mind wandered to her mother’s mystery best friend and she wondered about her mother’s reluctance to confide in Martha about her. Suddenly the sound of an approaching person jolted her back to reality.

She turned quickly to see a man, perhaps in his twenties walking towards her. He smiled warmly at her. Martha started at him, he looked oddly familiar.

“Hey,” he said holding out his hand, “I’m Jack, Jack Williams, you must be new around here.”

Martha nodded and shook his hand shyly. As soon as her hand touched his, she felt something. A connection, it was almost as if she had met him before. She pulled her hand away quickly. Jack gave her a strange look. Martha smiled apologetically.

“Sorry. I’m Martha, Martha Mackenzie,” Martha said, smiling.

She didn’t know why, but Martha felt it hard to look at his eyes because every time she did, she had that feeling again, like she knew him from somewhere.

“Did you just move here?” Jack asked. Martha nodded. Jack smiled and looked at her. She was even more beautiful up close.

“We just moved into that big white house on Warwick Road,” Martha said. She finally forced herself to look at his eyes. They were a deep brown, holding so much; memories, mysteries and so many different feelings. Now that she was looking at them, Martha couldn’t tear her own eyes away.

“Oh really,” Jack said, “No way! I live in the house next door!”

Martha smiled.

“What a coincidence, I’ll guess I’ll be seeing you around then”

Jack nodded a little too eagerly and Martha giggled at him. Jack laughed at himself as well.

“Maybe you could show me around the place sometime?” Martha asked.

“Sure. What about this afternoon?” Jack said.

“Ok,” Martha smiled, “I’ll see you then. Just come round to my house and I’ll be waiting.”

2 HOURS LATER

Martha walked into her mother’s bedroom and sat down on the bed, beside Ruth.

“Mum, I’m going out in a minute,” Martha said, looking out the window.

“Mmm,” her mum murmured, “Where too?”

“Oh this guy is going to show be around the place.”

“A guy?” Ruth said, nudging her daughter playfully. Martha giggled.

“No, he’s just a friend,” Martha insisted, “He’s really friendly and nice.”

“What’s his name?” Ruth asked, pulling off her shoes and flopping down on the bed.

“Jack.”

Ruth’s heart skipped a beat. She said up abruptly.

“What?”

“Jack, his name is Jack, mum are you ok?” Martha asked looking at her strangely.

Ruth nodded weakly. ‘It’s a very common name,’ she told herself, ‘it’s not him.’

Ruth lay down on her bed again, breathing heavily. Suddenly the door bell rang.

“Oh that will be him,” Martha said jumping up, “Are you going to be ok mum?”

“Yes of course,” Ruth said, also getting up, “But I might come down and meet this man that you speak so highly of. Martha grinned and ran downstairs to meet Jack.

“Hey,” she said, coming down the stairs. Jack smiled a hello.

“This is my mum, Ruth,” Martha said gesturing to her mother who was coming down the stairs. As soon as she saw Jack, Ruth gasped. He looked so much like Katie. She shook her head, again reassuring herself that is wasn’t him.

“Nice to meet you Jack.”

“Nice to meet you too, Mrs. Mackenzie.”

R

uth shook her head.

“Oh, no. Please call me Ruth.”

Jack smiled.

“OK then, let’s go,” Martha said waving to her mum and walking out the door, closely followed by Jack.

“So where are we going first?” Martha asked, closing the door behind her.

Jack thought for a moment.

“The diner,” he said.

When they reached the diner, Jack led Martha over to a free table and they sat down.

“That’s Irene,” Jack said pointing to a red haired lady behind the counter, “And that’s the teenage crew, Belle, Drew, Cassie, Ric, Mattie, Lucas and Geoff. "

"And that,” Jack pointed to an old lady wearing a floral dress who appeared to be yelling at one of the teenagers, “That is our resident busybody. Colleen Smart. If you get talking to her your on your own!”

Martha laughed.

Colleen finished yelling at the girl and trotted of to the table where Martha and Jack were sitting.

“Are you two ready to order?” she asked.

Jack looked over at Martha.

“I’ll have a chocolate milkshake,” she said, smiling.

“Make that two chocolate milkshakes to go,” Jack said, turning to Colleen.

“To go?” Martha asked.

Jack nodded.

“I thought we could go down to the beach and drink them.”

“Excuse me,” Colleen interrupted, “Are you new around here? I haven’t seen you around before.”

Martha nodded.

“Well, if you ask me. If your looking for a place to go in your spare time, the Yabbie Creek Bowls Club is lots of fun. Then there is…”

“Colleen,” Jack interrupted, “The milkshakes.”

“Oh yes, right,” Colleen said, trotting off to get them.

“The beach is so beautiful,” Martha said, sitting down on the sand beside Jack. Jack murmured a response, he too captured by its beauty. Jack turned to Martha.

“So, do you have any brother’s or sisters?” he asked.

Martha shook her head.

“Just me and my mum,” Martha said.

“What about your dad?” Jack questioned.

Martha fell silent.

“Sorry,” Jack said, “Ignore that.”

Martha shook her head.

“No, it’s ok,” she said, forcing a smile, “My dad died when I was a baby.”

“I’m so sorry,” Jack said.

“You don’t have to be sorry,” Martha said.

“My dad died too,” Jack said, after a minute of silence.

“Oh. I’m sorry,” Martha said looking at him, “If you don’t mind me asking, how did he die?” Martha asked after a minutes hesitation.

“A fire,” Jack said, “When I was a baby.”

Martha nodded.

“How about yours?” Jack asked, looking out at the water.

“Car crash, also when I was a baby.”

Jack smiled.

“we have a lot in common.”

Martha nodded.

“Well I better go,” she said standing up, “And thanks – it was fun.”

Jack nodded.

“Yea we’ll have to do it again some time,” jack said standing up.

“Well I know where you live,” Martha laughed. Jack smiled and offered to walk Martha home.

“Mum,” Martha called walking in the door.

“Oh hey,” Ruth said walking into the hall way, “how was your date?”

“Mum, it was not a date,” Martha said, waving at Jack through the window.

“Right,” Ruth laughed.

PLEASE RATE AND REVIEW

Archived