Hidden Truths

Guest kaciexox

“Jack Williams"

I know a Jack Williams, and he used to live in Australia and he's pretty fine :blink::wink:

Back on topic...

Great first chapter, this sounds really interesting. Can't wait to find out the real reason why Ruth and Katie moved away from the Bay and why their husband's died. It's really intriguing, I just want to find out more!

Great start, update soon :D

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey :)

Trailer sounds awesome - can't wait to download it and I love that song! Only just found out that I actually had it somewhere on single at the back of my CD stacks (yes I was young :P)... lol And will get around to reading it soon - it looks good.

I just wanted to alert you to the rule about promoting a fic and not posting - just thought you might not be aware of it. It's a relatively new rule which is presented here. Basically we're asking members not to post new threads without an actual chapter in it - even if you have made a trailer, posted a summary or said that it will be up in 10 minutes. It's to make everything less messy and there is in fact a Promotion Thread available (which is pinned to the forum) if you do want to promote a fic!

Sorry to be a pain - I'm sure you didn't realise, but could you please follow this in future. :) But I've been loving your fics - don't stop! You and Me is one of my faves. :D xx

• 2 weeks later...

the next bit :D

such a tiny chapter and nothing really happens more of a filler chapter but i wanted to get something up and its really necessary for the rest of the story to make sense

CHAPTER 2

Martha looked out of the window of her car as she watched her home slip away before her eyes. She couldn’t believe she had let her mother talk her into moving. Martha had liked Dean but family was more important and she needed to stay with her mum. Ruth had been there for Martha ever since she could remember.

But as hard as Ruth tried, she could not be a mother and a father to Martha. Countless times Martha had cried because she did not have a father. Ruth had told Martha that her father Brett had been killed in a car accident, when Martha was young and it killed Martha that she never got a chance to know her father. Whenever Martha mentioned Brett to Ruth she would close up and refuse to talk about it.

Martha just put it down to the fact that her mother missed her husband terribly and couldn’t bear to talk about him. But Martha needed to talk about him. She needed to know what he was like, she needed to know every thing down to the last annoying habit. Martha needed to try to understand her father, she needed to understand why her mother loved him so much.

Why did she really love him?

What was it really?

Martha needed to know what that thing was so she could also begin to love her father, although she could never know him. All Martha had to remind herself that she had even had a father was a crumpled old photo that she had stolen out of her mother’s top drawer when she was eleven.

It pictured her mother, a man with his arm around her who Martha was guessing was her father and he was holding a baby which she knew was herself. Also in the picture was another family, a lady and a man and another baby. All the people looked happy, a rare way she saw her mother look these days.

These days, Ruth always seemed to be wearing a vacant expression. Not vacant as in she was stupid or dumb but vacant as if she was not really there. It was almost as if she died when her husband died, and while her body had remained on earth, her spirit had gone to heaven with that of her husband.

Martha’s mind wandered back to her childhood. They had moved countless times, always moving on short notice, most times just after the mail had come. It was almost as if Ruth was running away from something or someone but whenever Martha had mentioned that to her mother, Ruth had just laughed it off, saying that that was absurd. But Martha couldn’t shake that thought from her mind.

Martha sighed and looked down at the old photo that she held in her hands. Forever she had wondered who that other child had been but she had never had enough courage to ask her mum, scared of the consequences when Ruth realized that it had been stolen by her daughter.

A car horn brought her back to reality. Martha turned around and caught a last glimpse of the town that had been her home for 2 years. As she watched the country slip away before her eyes she felt a single tear slip from her eye.

PLEASE RATE AND REVIEW

Aww, poor Martha. She's leaving everything she's ever known. But, at least Jack will be there :wub: He'll be better for her than that Dean fellow!

Great chapter! Summer Bay awaits for Ruth and Martha :)

the next bit:

sorry it took so long, but i have been away and there was no internet :(

CHAPTER 3

Ruth drove the car up the driveway. Martha opened the door and got out of the car to catch a look at their new house. She gasped. It was beautiful, a big old house that had been painted white. There was a narrow path leading up to the front door made of pebbles. Red and white roses had been planted in the front garden, where a big, old oak tree hung over, casting shadows on the flowers.

It was almost as if it was protecting them. The house was big but not too big, maybe two floors. The windows were painted a creamy colour. Martha let her eyes become lost in the pure whites and creams of the house. The colors made the house seem peaceful, a place of supreme safety and tranquility. She smiled. It was perfect.

“Hey, honey,” Ruth called, snapping Martha back to reality, “Can you help me with these bags?”

Martha tore her eyes away from the house and walked over to help her mother. Ruth handed her two big bags, which Martha held, waiting for her mother to close up the car.

“Mum, how can you afford a place like this?” Martha asked, turning back to the house that she couldn’t

seem to take her eyes off.

There was a strange familiarity to it. Almost as if, Martha had been there before. And then she remembered, she had visited this place once before, in a dream. In the dream, she had been walking through the front garden when she had heard crying. Turning around, she had seen a young boy, maybe 1 or 2 sitting in the grass crying, his hands outstretched towards her.

Martha didn’t know who he was, but she had suddenly felt an urge to go and hold him until he stopped crying, and then never let go again. She had felt almost as if they had met before, but he had been taken from her. Martha really didn’t know what the significance of that dream was, if there was any, but it had felt different to all her other dreams, more real, almost as if it had really happened…

Ruth slammed the car boot shut and looked up at the house. She sighed, then turned to Martha.

“Your father left us some money when he died, and I guess I have just been waiting for the right house.”

“But why this house?” Martha asked.

Ruth thought for a moment, trying to think of a way explain it to Martha without giving too much away.

“I used to live here,” she said softly, “years ago. Your father and I, we got married in the front garden. My grandparents lived here, then my parents, then your father and I and it has always been special and in my heart, it has always been home.”

“Then why did you move?” Martha asked.

“That’s not important.” Ruth said, shortly.

Martha frowned. It was so unlike her mother to be abrupt but she always seemed to be like that when Martha mentioned her father and her mother’s past. It was strange.

“See over there,” Ruth said, pointing to the house next to theirs, desperately trying to change the subject, “My best friend used to live there,” she smiled, reliving the memories, “We used to spend every day together, we were so close.”

Martha smiled.

“What was her name?”

“I can’t remember,” Ruth said.

“She was your best friend and you can’t remember her name?” Martha questioned.

Ruth shook her head.

“You must remember her name, what was it mum?” Martha pushed.

“I told you I can’t remember!” Ruth said loudly.

Martha stepped back, surprised at her mother’s sudden outburst.

Ruth shook her head.

“I’m sorry, just forget I ever brought it up. Now lets get these bags inside, the removal vans will be here soon.”

“Mum, I’m just going for a walk!” Martha called from the front of the house.

“Ok,” Ruth called back, “but don’t be too long, I’ll have lunch ready soon.”

Martha stepped out into the heat of summer and thought about where she would go. She looked at her watch, it was 11:30, she probably had about 40 minutes before she had to be home and she knew exactly where she wanted to go. The beach.

Martha walked along the beach, watching the waves lap up onto the shore and letting the sand run between her toes. In one hand she held her shoes and with the other she reached up and untied her hair, letting it fly freely with the wind.

A man was watching her from the top of the beach, taking in her beauty. And she was beautiful. In every way that he could see. He watched her throw back her head and let her hair blow in the wind. He watched her walk up the beach towards him and for a moment he thought she was going to talk to him. But she stopped about half way up the beach and sat down on the sand.

She looked out onto the horizon. The man studied the way she was staring at the sea. Like some people, she wasn’t looking out there because it was pretty, or because it was there, she was looking for answers. She was looking at the world, almost asking it to make everything simpler, to find her the answers. Answers to what, he didn’t know but he longed to find out. He longed to understand this girl. She was different to the others.

Not superficial, or anything like that, she was deep, deeper than anyone he had ever known, and he hadn’t even met her yet.

A thousand questions were going through his mind: who was she? Why was she here? Was she new here? Why had she moved? What is her name? How old is she? And most of all he longed to ask: What are you looking for? What are the answers you need and why do you need them?

He had just summoned up enough courage to go and talk to her when he heard someone calling his name.

“Jack!”

He sighed and turned around to face his girlfriend Anna.

“Coming!” eh called back.

He took one last glance at the girl and turned and walked away from the beach and away from her.

PLEASE RATE AND REVIEW

Next chapter: Martha and Jack meet again

Archived