Out Of Control!

Guest Lilone

Umm, whoops ........ :blush:

Kind of ought to have updated this fic!!

Have this chapter for now, anyway - more up at some later date, no doubt!!

Chapter 20

“What is it, Drew?” Leah asked again. He had been silent for over five minutes after announcing he had news for her. He looked around him, stalling for time.

“Uh, look, maybe it’s not my place to say, but …”

Drew was cut off by a loud bleeping noise from one of the machines hooked up to Clare. Both he and Leah looked over, surprised, and saw her eyes beginning to flicker.

“Get the nurse,” Leah said quickly, and Drew ran out of the room.

“Peter!” He looked up at the sound of his name. Sally was running down the beach towards him, seeming breathless. He sighed and looked back out to sea as she caught up.

“I’ve been looking for you everywhere,” she said, panting slightly.

“I had to get out of there, Sal,” he said dully, and she stopped to listen. “I looked at her just lying there, so helpless … Dan died like that. What if she dies too?”

“Pete, Leah called and asked me to find you!” Sal explained quickly. “Clare’s awake.” He looked up at her, shocked, and then jumped to his feet.

She’s what?!”

“Leah!” Peter hurried up the hospital corridor to where Leah and Drew were sitting. “Hey – where is she; is she okay? How long has she been awake for?”

“Not very long,” Drew said. “Rachel’s in there with her just now; doing some tests.”

“Actually your timing couldn’t be better, I just finished,” Rachel said, coming out of Clare’s room and closing the door. “She’s a tad groggy and I don’t want her getting stressed.”

“But she’s okay? Can I see her?” Pete asked hurriedly.

“Not for too long – as long as she feels up to it, that is!” she called after him, as he walked past her into Clare’s room.

Clare?” She blinked several times and pulled off her oxygen mask sleepily.

“Peter …” she said weakly, trying to sit up in bed. He sat down and grasped her hand.

“Lie down,” he said quietly. “Rachel says you’re not to stress yourself, or she’s gonna have my head for it. Relax … so what actually happened?”

“Is Drew okay?” she asked him, ignoring everything he’d just said. He smiled.

“Yeah, he’s fine – thanks to you. He told me you saved his life. Is that true?”

“What did you want me to do, let Gillan’s man shoot him? Not in this lifetime, Baker,” she joked weakly. He smiled and settled into the chair.

“So what was it you were going to tell me before Clare woke up?” Leah asked Drew, sitting in the corridor with Sally. He cleared his throat uncomfortably.

“I, uh, was just going to say …” He couldn’t do it. “I think it’s really brave and terrific of you to hang around here for Clare, after losing Dan here so recently.”

“Oh, thanks,” Leah said, looking pleasantly surprised. “I guess I didn’t think about it that much, to be honest … Pete says he loves her, and they have been through a lot together. She was almost my sister, once. I owe her this much, right?”

“That’s good of you, Leah,” Sal agreed. Leah smiled at her feet, trying not to cry after all those compliments. She still thought about Dan every time she saw Drew or Pete.

“And what about you, then? How did you find out I was in here?”

“Drew called me right away – he was freaking out a bit,” Pete admitted. “I guess even having a cop as a father, you’re never prepared for seeing a shooting.”

“Yeah, well, from what I gather he managed pretty well,” Clare commented. “You should be really proud of him. You know he’s a real credit to you.”

“Yeah, I am proud,” he said. “Thanks … so, uh, did Rachel say when you can leave?”

“Tomorrow afternoon, providing nothing goes wrong overnight.”

“That’s great … so what do you reckon, then?” he asked nervously. “Are you coming back to Leah’s with me when you get out of here?”

“I don’t know – do you even want me to any more?” Clare said quietly and sadly. Peter squeezed her hand tightly, but he couldn’t bring himself to meet her eye.

“I do care for you, Clare,” he said slowly. “When I heard you’d been hurt, I was so worried about you, and I was going crazy waiting … but I can’t just forget about you lying to me about seeing Dan. Do you know what it’s going to do to Leah if she finds out?”

“You haven’t told her?” she asked, surprised. “I assumed you would have by now.”

“No, well, I don’t think she needs to know. She doesn’t know about my whole blaming myself thing, so I can hardly just turn around and tell her about you lying, can I? I know I’ve done some hypocritical stuff in my life, but I can’t justify that one.”

“Well, maybe since you and Drew both know, I should tell her,” Clare reasoned.

“Tell me what?” Leah stood in the doorway, looking angry.

Promo:

Will Leah forgive her family for lying to her?

Will Amanda ever get Pete to listen to her?

How does Drew react to seeing a familiar face?

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great chapter. :)

I can't believe Leah still doesn't know! She'll go mad when she find out. Who knows what will happen. She may even try and do something to Clare. I wonder who the familiar face is.

Update soon. :D

Yay! Update. :D

Love the Clete scenes. Very cute. Poor Leah. I think all hell is going to break loose when she finds out about everything. She'll probably forgive her family. Who's the familiar face?

Update soon, guys. :)

Archived