Dangerous Dogs

Guest I love music

So, just a few months after a baby was mauled to death by two Rottweillers, we have the heartbreaking news that a five-year-old girl has been mauled to death by a pit bull terrier. (New Year's Eve in St Helen's on Merseyside.)

While I have every sympathy for the family, I really don't understand why people want to keep those breeds of dog as "pets". I wouldn't trust the likes of pit bulls or Rottweillers an inch (or Dobermans or the Japanese tosa dogs) especially around children. I know there ARE responsible owners - my brother, when he took the family dog out, said he used to regularly see a woman with two very, very well-trained Rottweillers - but I still wouldn't exactly trust them.

Vets and dog experts have said over and over that the best type of dogs to keep as pets are the likes of mongrels, spaniels, labradors etc. So WHY does anyone want to keep a dangerous dog? How many more kids have got to be mauled or even killed by a vicious dog?

I cried when I heard the news today. I guess you did too. The saddest thing is, until people see sense and choose family pets instead of pit bulls etc I doubt that poor little kid will be the last to die so horrifically.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can see what you mean. My neighbours had a rottweiler, and he was very well trained. They did in my opinion nothing wrong, and he was a really good dog until he suddenly became more aggressive. It was because races that are so purely bred tend to have "brain damages" due to the very strict rules for how they should look. Because of the very strict breeding that causes only dogs of the same race to have puppies and absolutely no interfering from other races for generation after generation there are a lot of (surprisingly many indiviuals) who turns out bad in the end. They can be great family dogs for years, and then suddenly turn aggressive and attack people.

I think rottweilers are beautiful, and they can be great dogs but I would never trust them (I don't trust a lot of dogs)

I think rottweilers are beautiful, and they can be great dogs but I would never trust them (I don't trust a lot of dogs)

You should never trust a dog, not even your own, and not with kids, you never know what they experienced when they were younger (before you got them)

I love dogs. I've had rottweilers in the past too and they've been very well behaved dogs because it's how we trained them to be. They were lovely. I think the way a dog behaves is partly from the way their owner acts. Not all dogs are violent animals. I don't have contact with strange dogs much, but if I do see cute dog thats fussing then I check with the owner that it's OK to stroke it. I'd never go near a dog that was by itself though.

Yeah, but the dog I knew was very well trained he just was kind of brain damaged because of the way he was bred, and that made him change personality eventually even though the owners didn't do anything different. He was very patient and calm for years and then suddenly he became aggressive.

Im not a fan of dogs, but i can understand that some people like having them as pets, but WHY a pit bull?

Ask Kevin Federline. He got one right after Britney gave birth to their second child. Now that dog I wouldn't blame for being aggressive...

• 11 months later...

So, just a few months after a baby was mauled to death by two Rottweillers, we have the heartbreaking news that a five-year-old girl has been mauled to death by a pit bull terrier. (New Year's Eve in St Helen's on Merseyside.)

While I have every sympathy for the family, I really don't understand why people want to keep those breeds of dog as "pets". I wouldn't trust the likes of pit bulls or Rottweillers an inch (or Dobermans or the Japanese tosa dogs) especially around children. I know there ARE responsible owners - my brother, when he took the family dog out, said he used to regularly see a woman with two very, very well-trained Rottweillers - but I still wouldn't exactly trust them.

Vets and dog experts have said over and over that the best type of dogs to keep as pets are the likes of mongrels, spaniels, labradors etc. So WHY does anyone want to keep a dangerous dog? How many more kids have got to be mauled or even killed by a vicious dog?

I cried when I heard the news today. I guess you did too. The saddest thing is, until people see sense and choose family pets instead of pit bulls etc I doubt that poor little kid will be the last to die so horrifically.

And almost exactly one year later... :(:( :(

A one-year-old boy has died after being attacked by a pet rottweiler at his grandparents' home, police have said.

Archie-Lee Andrew Hirst was snatched from his seven-year-old aunt's arms in the yard of the house in Chald Lane, Wakefield, West Yorkshire, on Friday. He was taken to hospital with serious injuries but died later

Archived