Kate Ritchie ready to leave

Guest brenton_06

ARTICLE FROM WWW.NEWS.COM.AU

AFTER a record-breaking 19 years playing Sally Fletcher, Kate Ritchie is ready to begin life away from her home on the set of Summer Bay.

Ritchie, listed in the Guinness World Records as the longest-serving actor in an Australian drama series, is reassessing her professional career and seeking "new opportunities" away from Channel 7's soap staple Home and Away.

Currently enjoying a five-week break following what she called "a really big year", the TV star yesterday revealed that she wants to be perceived as someone other than "the little girl who grew up on Home and Away".

"It has been a fantastic experience but now I think I might be ready to look past that," Ritchie, 28, told Confidential.

"In order to grow creatively you need to spread your wings.

"While the public might have me typecast, I know in my heart I'm not just that little girl who grew up on Home and Away."

Speculation surrounding Ritchie's departure from the show has snowballed since Seven aired the cliffhanger series finale on Friday night.

In its closing scenes, Ritchie's character Sally lay slumped on the ground after being stabbed and a video montage of nearly two decades of her series highlights played.

Channel 7 refused to comment on Ritchie's suspected exit from the show and would not discuss details of her contract with the network.

"Kate Ritchie's contribution to Home And Away over the last 19 years is deserving of the greatest respect and celebration," a Seven spokesman said yesterday.

Home and Away is slated to return to our screens in mid January.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So....

Spoiler Highlight to Read

That special at the end of the finale was about all of he years she has been on really was because Sally dies after Rocco stabs her, but that can't be it because she has been seen filming scenes at that jail, when Ric goes there! Whaaat.....?

I wish Kate the best of luck for the future. Hope to see her in many big films soon :D

Currently enjoying a five-week break following what she called "a really big year", the TV star yesterday revealed that she wants to be perceived as someone other than "the little girl who grew up on Home and Away".

So we know that Sal doesn't die immediately because if she had there would have been on a break for the previous two months.

The article has obviously been given a particular slant however and probably very carefully vetted by Channel Seven.

She want to seek new opportunities can mean that she will spend a couple of months away on other projects for example.

If Kate Ritchie had said that she wanted to stay on the show till she was 60, the article wouldn't have been allowed by Seven is my guess.

The article has obviously been given a particular slant however and probably very carefully vetted by Channel Seven.

She want to seek new opportunities can mean that she will spend a couple of months away on other projects for example.

If Kate Ritchie had said that she wanted to stay on the show till she was 60, the article wouldn't have been allowed by Seven is my guess.

Good point as then we'd all know Sally is alive but on the other hand Kate has said she is ready to try other projects something she has never said before, she has always maintained she was very happy in Summer Bay...until now.

^^ Yeah, I had always read that Kate was quite content doing what she was doing. Something must have changed...

I wish her the best of luck in the future but I really don't want her to leave yet. Maybe she can do H&A and other things too.

I wish her the best of luck in the future but I really don't want her to leave yet. Maybe she can do H&A and other things too.

She did that with "Stepfather of the Bride" which screened on the ABC a few weeks ago. My guess would be that after doing that telemovie, her eyes were opened to the possibility of moving out of Summer Bay and sinking her teeth into some more different/challenging roles.

She was brilliant in "Stepfather of the Bride" and when watching it you didn't go "Oh, look at Sally, what's she doing there?", instead you were left refreshed at seeing Kate in a new light. It was fantastic to see her in another role other than Sally. So, when she does leave, I don't think she'll have any problem leaving Sally behind...as long as the viewer lets her.

Of course she'll be missed, but good luck to her, I say. Kate's a damn fine actress...and will win the Gold Logie in '07.

Archived