The Black Balloon

Guest Luc

You cant tell me you think that the guys who play Rocco and Drew can play?? :o They are horrible and i only like Drew cuz he is hot..

Rhys is the best of the teen boys and i guess Mark can act to but he is so ugly so :P

There are so many things wrong with that post... I don't even know where to start. Instead I'll just say that I think that Rhys is a good actor who takes his work seriously. His presense is the highlight of H&A for me these days. He still has room to improve, but no doubt starring in a film with someone as experienced as Toni Collette will help him to do that. If he didn't have talent, he wouldn't have been offered the opportunity.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^ I know he is good and if he got a better storyline now im shure other people would see that. Mark is also a great actor but as i said imo he is very ugly so not my taste. I dont think the guys who play Rocco and Drew can act at all. I just dont feel it or believe in their acting and all this is just imo.. Dont know if its any more teen boys left..

Off The Topic above, two new cast members have been added...

Aaron Glennane ... Bucko

Lisa Kowalski ... Sally

I don't know who they are, does anyone else?

I think they are newcomers. couldn't find anything they have done before. but being on a movie with toni collette is a pretty good start for them...and for rhys!

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Super shy Gemma puckers up

12 December 2007

The Daily Telegraph

0,,5795218,00.jpg

SHE'S made love to a few lenses in her time as a supermodel,

but when it came to puckering up for her first feature film kiss,

Gemma Ward was apparently super shy.

Playing school girl Jackie Masters in a new Aussie flick, The Black Balloon, due out next year, Ward had to cosy up with Home & Away soap stud Rhys Wakefield in the coming-of-age drama, trapped in the stormy throws of young love.

As the pic's Sydney director Elissa Down predicted, Ward is mesmerising on film, even minus the makeup and trappings of a model's life.

Jetting home for the holidays this weekend, the runway babe is keen to pursue her film career, meeting up with Down while she's here.

She's already bagged her second shot at Hollywood fame, after playing a masked bandit in yet-to-be released horror film The Strangers, opposite Liv Tyler and Scott Speedman.

^That link is broken or something, but this one works: http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...ideoid=23884118

The trailer looks soooo good! Eeee! Thanks for letting us know it was up ^_^

I can't wait for this movie. I'm so excited to see Rhys on the big screen. And he's totally the star, first credit and everything, hehehehee ^_^

I was hoping they'd review it on "At The Movies" last night, but they didn't... lousy foreign film loving... people... <_< I'll give them the benifit of the doubt and hope that they're saving The Black Balloon for their premier show next year, but if they're not... <_<

Margaret and David will review it next year I’m sure :) The music for this film sounds awesome: this is an article about it below. I’m looking forward to this film – it seems a little like Clubland and Little Miss Sunshine – the dysfunctional + feel-good factor. I just hope it has a good script and Rhys is good. I love Toni Collette. Maybe even an AFI nom for Rhys next year, you never know :wink:

'The Black Balloon' stays in tune with the nineties; SELF-CONFESSED 'DAG' ELISSA DOWN COULDN'T RESIST A SELECTION OF LOCAL SONGS FROM THE EARLY 90S TO COMPLEMENT THE SCORE FOR HER DEBUT FEATURE. BY DAVID HULL.

David Hull

Encore

COMPOSER MICHAEL YEZERSKI HAS BEEN ATTACHED to Elissa Down's debut feature The Black Balloon since very early in its production; originally he was hired to write a musical that is staged within the film.

“We had to create a show from scratch that paid respect to the world of music theatre,” Yezerski explained. “It was written before the shoot so the actors could perform it and we brought in David Campbell to sing. It was one of the more unusual aspects of the job and it comes completely out of leftfield; you wouldn't place it within the context of the score.”

Yezerski took on the entire film's composing work on the strength of that effort and is about to embark on recording the film's opening and closing title tracks; he wrote the opening with Josh Pyke, and ex-Ratcat frontman Simon Day will sing the latter.

The Black Balloon is a coming-of-age story set in the early 1990s that deals with issues of fitting in, discovering teenage love and accepting your family. The story focuses on the emotional journey undertaken by Thomas (Rhys Wakefield) when his pregnant mother (Toni Collette) puts him in charge of his older, autistic brother Charlie (Luke Ford).

The soundtrack is a combination of underscore, existing Australian songs from the 90s and new material recorded with Pyke, Day and Augie March's Glenn Richards.

Music supervisor Norman Parkhill said the opportunity to source pre-existing material was a welcome add-on to the film's soundtrack.

“Originally there was not going to be any pre-existing work in the film but, unlike on most Australian films, the producer found a bit of over-reach in the budget in a certain area so a budget for songs was found, which is unusual because the music budget usually gets tilted,” Parkhill said. “It was necessary to give the film a time and sense of place, so the songs we used are from the 1989 to 1991 era and they're all Australian. There's original stuff, plus Glenn Richards is doing a version 'Fall at Your Feet' by Neil Finn for a key scene.”

Pre-existing tracks featuring in the film include The Screaming Jets''Better', Ratcat's 'Don't Go Now', The Go Betweens''Streets of My Town', The Someloves''Know You Know'and Jimmy Barnes''Driving Wheels'. Director Down said the choice of music was relevant to the film's setting and was influenced by her own personal tastes.

“I'm such a dag but early 90s music is such my bag,” Down told Encore . “So that's influenced the artists and songs we've used and it's not stuff that's been over-used neither. There were a number of things influencing the choices; in some cases I wanted a particular song to say something.”

“The film's about autism but it's very funny,” Parkhill added. “Elissa grew up with an autistic sibling, so she writes and directs from the heart. The story is sad as well as funny so it's important for Michael to reflect that in the music.”

According to Yezerski, the basic approach to the music was “that it should be uplifting”.

“The inspiration for the songs came from Elissa because this is such a personal story,”he said. “There's a quirkiness or funniness to it – it's not supposed to be too serious – and all the music has to reflect that tragic/comic balance being heartfelt without pulling at the heartstrings.”

The Black Balloon is due for release through Icon in early 2008.

Archived