Safe Epilogue

Guest Ali_

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have exams for the next two weeks so this chapter is extra long in case I can't post on saturday.

“Hey Maddy.”

“Stop it!”

“What?”

“Sorry Willow is just watched power rangers on TV and now she is trying to high kick everything in sight.”

Belle laughed.

“I guess at least its exercise, you don’t want her to be another obesity statistic do you?”

Belle sighed.

“Only you would defend the child in this situation.”

Belle smiled.

“You’re probably right.”

“So what’s up? We still on for tonight?”

“I can’t.”

“How come?”

“I have to meet with the real estate agent early in the morning and I really don’t feel well.”

“That sucks but hopefully you’ll feel better soon.”

Belle sincerely hoped so too but the dread weighing in her stomach was making her nauseas.

Lucas was making himself, Tony and Beth some coffee that night after dinner when Tony noticed he had been awfully quiet.

“You okay Luke?”

“Yeah I’m fine it’s just Belle.”

Beth smiled.

“Oh yes you’ll have to invite her for dinner soon now you are a couple.”

Tony nodded.

“Is she okay?”

“Not really, I think she’s just finding it hard getting over Amanda’s death and she’s been saying some pretty out there stuff and I want to believe her but it’s not exactly easy and now she has completely shut me out.”

“Have you called her?”

“Twice, the first time she said she just needed space and the second time Bailey picked up and said she was asleep but I don’t believe him.”

“Well you can’t push her into moving on, maybe you should giving her some room to breath.”

“I know it’s just I’m worried, I’ve never seen her like this.”

“Well that’s what happens when you love someone son, just try and be patient there’s not much more you can do.”

Lucas nodded, he wasn’t happy with the answer but he knew it was right.

“So are you and Cassie still hitting the city without Belle?”

Maddy nodded.

“Of course, I mean it sucks she can’t come but she’d drag us down anyway if she came and was sick.”

Ric nodded but looked sceptical.

“You think we need her don’t you?!”

“I didn’t say that.”

Maddy laughed.

“Me and Cassie can be the life of the party without Belle you know.”

“I’m sure you can it’s just Cassie is kind of shy and neither of you are great dancers.”

Maddy slapped him over the head with one of Willow’s books that she had just read to her.

“That’s mean!”

Ric laughed and tried to sheild himself from further blows.

“I’m kidding I just like Belle going with you because then she is busy being outgoing so guys don’t automatically notice my beautiful wife and hit on her. I’m not so jealous when it’s three of you.”

Maddy smiled.

“Good recovery."

The doorbell rang with Cassie behind it and Maddy kissed Ric goodbye before going out.

Alf came around a few minutes later.

“How’s my sleeping beauty?”

Ric ran a hand through his hair.

“She’s had a lot of sugar so she’s not actually too sleepy but just make sure she stays in bed.”

“Okay no problem, have fun tonight.”

Suddenly Alf’s mobile rang.

“Hello?”

He had a brief conversation but his face lit up as he said goodbye.

“Since when did you get a mobile grandad?”

Alf went slightly red.

“Well I uh, I need to keep up with these young people now I’m a great grandad don’t I?”

Ric nodded but wasn’t convinced.

“Why do you even need one?”

“In case of emergency.”

“So was that one?”

Alf frowned.

“That’s none of your business.”

“Okay fine keep your secrets, I’ll see you later tonight.”

“Bye.”

Ric laughed to himself as he went to see Henry, Alf totally has a girlfriend.

Belle didn’t sleep the entire night, she was more frustrated than scared now. It felt like waiting on death row, it was the waiting that was worse than the actual death, now she just wanted whatever it was to happen so she could help and get on with her life.

She heard someone moving around in the kitchen and got up to check it out.

“Oh hi.”

“Hey, want a coffee? I’m just making myself one, I can’t sleep.”

“Me neither but a coffee wont exactly help.”

“Yeah well there was no hot chocolate left.”

“Okay then load us up on caffeine.”

“What’s up with you?”

“What do you mean?”

“Well you haven’t been yourself lately.”

“How would you know?”

“I do live in the same house as you, you’ve barely been going out, I can hear you shouting in your sleep and you always look so worried.”

Belle sighed.

“Do you ever wonder if there’s more to life than just what we have? I mean do you ever feel like something bigger than you has been helping you but you haven’t realised?”

“Are we talking theologically now? Because that is way too deep for this time of night.”

Belle groaned.

“Whatever, you asked.”

Bailey smiled.

“It’s okay I’m joking, tell me what you mean.”

They sat on the couch in the dark.

“Well have you?”

Belle looked uncomfortable waiting for his answer, she never in a million years would have had this conversation a week ago after all she was an atheist through and through but now she wasn’t so sure.

“Once, but I’ve never spoken about it before.”

“What was it?”

“It was stupid really, I was biking home from church one Sunday when I was five or six and I swerved to avoid a dove or some sort of bird and I impaled my side on a rusty fence post.”

“Oh my god, are you serious?”

“No I just make up gory stories for fun!”

“Sorry, go on.”

“Well I was bleeding out and a farmer passed me and called the ambulance but I was declared DOA.”

“Whats DOA?”

“Dead on arrival.”

Belle said nothing, she was too riveted to talk.

“Anyway, I was dead for at least three or four hours, my parents came in and saw me and then suddenly my heart began beating and I came back.”

“After that long?”

“Yeah, doctors had never seen anything like it and they called it a medical miracle.”

“Wow.”

“Yeah anyway after that when I grew up I stopped going to church and my parents accused me of abandoning god who had saved me and generally acted like their bible-thumping selves. We kind of went downhill from there and when I started with the drugs they threw me out and disowned me.”

“So why the drugs?”

“I kept having these dreams about when I was dead and I don’t want to talk about it but needless to say it was enough to drive me off the rails.”

“Thank you.”

She hugged Bailey and he hugged her back.

“What for?”

“Making me feel like I’m not alone or crazy.”

Bailey laughed.

“You get impaled on a fence post too?”

“Shut up idiot.”

She smiled though.

“So what was your encounter with the twilight zone?”

“My dead mother talked to me.”

“Oh okay, sounds interesting.”

He didn’t mock her, he didn’t try to rationalise with her he simply sat and listened. She didn’t tell him about the omen of death and destruction because she didn’t want to worry anybody else.

“And then in the morning I wasn’t sure if it was real or not.”

“That’s not true.”

“Huh?”

“Well deep down you know exactly whether it was real or not it’s just your mind is struggling to accept it.”

“You think?”

“Your confusion is your mind’s way of processing slowly information that would otherwise probably send you into a psychotic meltdown.”

“Thanks for the positivity.”

“Sorry but that’s my opinion, may not be right though.”

“I hope not.”

“Anyway I should try sleep.”

Bailey stood up and kissed Belle affectionately on her head.

“Don’t stress out, things aren’t out of your control unless you decide they are.”

Belle nodded.

“Night Bailey.”

In the morning Maddy woke up to Ric coming in the door. He snuck into bed smelling of booze and cuddled her.

“Good morning.”

“It’s five in the morning keep your voice down! When you party you really go at it huh?”

“Well Luke was down so he drowned his sorrows.”

“Well that’s not the best idea and what did you have sympathy drinks?”

Ric chuckled drunkenly.

“Sorry, I know I was way earlier last weekend.”

“It’s okay you can stay out as long as you want just next time text me and let me know so I don’t worry.”

Ric expected a lecture.

“Really?”

“Well yeah just because I get in at one doesn’t mean you have to.”

“Thanks.”

“It’s all good, I think you should take a shower, an aspirin and then nap until lunch.”

“No arguments here.”

Maddy rolled over but Ric began laughing.

“Guess what?”

“I’m sober and your not?”

Ric laughed harder.

“You’re a poet.”

“So what’s there to guess?”

“Alf has a lady lover.”

Maddy sniggered.

“Are you sure? Lady lover is about the last thing I want to associate your grandfather with. It’s kind of weird.”

“Why he isn’t dead yet, he still has it in him.”

“Okay gross, have a shower before you puke everywhere.”

Ric nodded and staggered into the bathroom too scared to open his mouth.

“Hello?”

Bailey answered the phone early the next morning.

“Hey Bailey, is Belle there?”

Bailey sighed.

“I don’t think she wants to talk to you.”

Luke groaned.

“Well I’d rather hear that from my girlfriend if that’s okay.”

“Don’t get all ****ty with me I’m just saying she doesn’t want to speak to anyone at the moment she’s still asleep and she’s definitely not at a sociable place in her life right now.”

Luke didn’t like that Bailey knew more about his girlfriend at the moment than he did but he accepted his answer.

“Okay sorry, will you tell her I called?”

“Sure.”

“Thanks.”

“Later.”

Colleen was bouncing around the house singing to herself, her husband laughed.

“Why are you so happy?”

“Oh my love I’m going to throw a party.”

“Are you now?”

“Yes at the surf club.”

“In aid of what?”

“The end of summer and a general celebration of all the love in this town.”

“Well that sounds like a great cause for celebration, I do very much like the townspeople here, it reminds me of the little fishing village I grew up on in Samos.”

“I’m glad you agree because I booked the surf club for next Friday. I’ll make the food at the diner and the surf club provides the drink so all I need is a bit of music! It doesn’t get dark for ages this time of year so we can sit and dance outside it will be so romantic.”

Within a few days everyone was excited about coming together to celebrate at Colleen’s party, Irene was particularly pleased because it meant Bailey could be properly introduced to those he hadn’t yet met and make a good impression. Belle and Lucas were less enthused about the whole thing mainly because Belle was getting worse and worse.

The only person Belle would see was Bailey which was infuriating for Lucas who was blatantly jealous and worried. He knew it wasn’t Bailey’s fault but he was jealous that Belle confided and trusted Bailey more at that time.

It was great for Bailey who got to spend more time with Belle but also was hard trying to fend off worried friends and family who insisted on getting her out the house.

“Thanks for being my bodyguard.”

“It’s okay, I understand how hard it can be trying to understand the paranormal, it makes all your usual activities seem so trivial.”

“You’re right.”

“The thing is though, maybe you should get out just for an hour or so, your boyfriend is really concerned.”

“I know but I can’t worry about stuff like that now, if I’m going to save Summer Bay I have to focus.”

“Save summer bay?”

“It’s complicated and sounds so stupid but I get guidance when my mind is clear so for as long as it takes I’m going to lie on my bed and stare into space.”

Bailey didn’t want to think Belle was losing it but when she started raving about saving the town he began to have doubts this might not be post-traumatic stress.

“Welcome everybody to my little shindig dedicated to you all in the bay and my wonderful husband.”

Colleen clapped and laughed with the rest of the bay gathered on the grass at the diner.

Beth was dressed up with Tony at her side raiding the buffet table early and Henry and Cassie were celebrating their life ahead inside at the bar. Lucas was sitting with Irene and Bailey at an outside table, he was wearing the strokes T shirt and a suit jacket. He felt so out of place and empty without Belle next to him but Beth had refused to let him mope about the house any longer and being near Bailey sort of made him feel closer to Belle so he stayed.

“How is she?”

Irene looked worried.

“I really can’t say love, she wont speak to me.”

Bailey took a sip of his coke.

“She just needs time that’s all.”

Lucas groaned.

“Everyone keeps saying that but a day apart from her seems like forever let alone ‘time’ it just sucks.”

Bailey saw a cute girl from his class and silently left the ‘sad sack’ table that he was stuck at.

Maddy and Ric were dancing as the sun began to set.

“Looks like Bailey is settling in fine.”

She motioned towards where Bailey was walked hand in hand with a skanky looking girl to the beach away from the crowd.

Ric laughed.

“Belle has taught him well. She really has changed.”

Maddy smiled.

“I agree, I never thought I’d have so much fun with someone I used to hate.”

“Plus Willow adores her so she is always the best option for babysitting, especially with Cassie moving across the other side of the world.”

Maddy nodded.

“How do you feel about her leaving?”

The question caught Ric off guard.

“What do you mean?”

“Well it’s a simple question.”

He thought for a moment.

“I guess I’m kind of sad, I mean I’ll miss her just like you.”

“Same here, she’s been our best friend for years and now my brother is going too who I’ve only properly got to know and love in the last few years. It’s a big part of our life that is going to disappear.”

“True but it wont be forever.”

Maddy was kind of jealous of Cassie, there was no way she regretted having Willow but she would have loved to travel to Europe and learn there with Ric child-free, be able to tour ancient sites without Willow asking when they were leaving or go out partying in the European cities without working out a babysitter. She was stuck in Summer Bay indefinitely until Willow grew up and it sometimes made her sad that her life was so restricted. She wasn’t ungrateful for the life she had, just merely wistful for all the possibilities that there could have been.

Que sera sera played as everyone reflected and was thankful for their lives, especially Bailey, whose possibilities stretched out infinitely like the ocean before him.

Belle was still lying on her bed, the angst and torment building and building until she had to get out of the house and walk somewhere just to try and distract herself. The sky was a pink colour as the sun dipped lower in the sky, it was still incredibly bright though.

Belle was walking along the beach towards the surf club, perhaps reflection was a stupid idea, she wanted to live her life not hide out in fear.

She approached and Lucas as if sensing her presence turned around and smiled. He walked over to her and when he took her hand the earth began to shake again.

“Do you feel that?”

Lucas gave her a confused look and suddenly Belle knew what was going to happen even if no one else did.

“Everyone put the tables against the walls!”

She ran over and pulled the plug on the music so that there was silence.

Maddy frowned.

“Belle what are you doing?”

“Okay this is going to sound bizarre but we don’t have time to argue, everyone needs to get on the roof of the surf club right now!”

Colleen shook her head.

“Belle please just sit and enjoy the party.”

“No! Do it now please everyone!”

Belle was shaking but no one moved so Lucas intervened, it may have been a crazy idea but he loved Belle and would support her.

“Everyone we have fireworks we want to set off so please get on the roof so everyone can see okay?”

People seemed to accept this answer more freely and Colleen bounced up and down in excitement.

“Okay everyone quickly!”

In no time at all people were climbing from tables on to the flat roof and talked excitedly amongst themselves.

“Okay Belle whats up?”

Lucas stroked her face.

“Lucas get on the roof now. I will too.”

“Why?”

“Please.”

“Okay well should I tell Bailey?”

Belle’s eyes doubled in size.

“Where is he? He’s supposed to be with everyone!”

“He was at the beach with a girl but I saw her leave so he must still be down there.”

There was a roaring sound in the distance and people began to mumble in concern so Belle told Lucas to get on the roof and then ran as fast as she could to the beach.

Lucas got on the roof only to get a better view of where Belle was heading. The sky was a deep red now as Belle spotted a bike on the pathway and used it to get to the part of the beach she spotted him at quicker. She ran down to the beach from the path and she shouted to him but he was lying down with his headphones in. The roaring got louder and everyone was worried now, Willow began to cry.

Tony put his arm around Beth.

“What the hell is that noise?”

Lucas had a horrible feeling but he didn’t know what it was, he shouted at Belle but she didn’t hear him.

“I’m going to go down to her.”

Willow shrieked.

“Don’t go uncle Lucas.”

She leapt at him and he caught her at his legs and picked her up.

“You okay?”

“Don’t leave I’m scared.”

Lucas tried to smile.

“Okay.”

He knew if he left Willow would try follow him and he didn’t want to risk putting her in danger.

“Bailey!!!!”

Bailey finally turned around as Belle grabbed him roughly and pulled him up.

“Hey -”

The look in Belle’s eyes told him this wasn’t going to be a social conversation.

“Bailey there’s a bike on the path, get on it now and go to where everyone else is.”

He squinted at the figures in the distance.

“On the roof!”

“Yes! Now!”

He didn’t dare question her, he began running to the bike with Belle not far behind him.

Then in the distance the threat was finally revealed. A wall of water appeared on the horizon and people began to shout in fear.

“Oh my god.”

Lucas saw Belle and Bailey running in his direction but they were still pretty far off, he wasn’t sure if they’d make it in time. He dropped Willow and began climbing down.

Tony grabbed him.

“No don’t!”

“She’s my girlfriend!”

“You can’t help her run any faster can you? Just be ready to pull her up when she gets near, I’m sorry that’s all we can do.”

He looked grim as did everyone else.

Colleen was pale.

“Are we going to die?”

Alf’s booming voice silence everyone.

“Okay listen, this is a tsunami which means by the time it reaches us the water would have gone down but it’ll still drown anyway not above the ground so we should be fine as long as we stay where we are.”

The word tsunami caused people to hug each other afraid for their lives.

“Should be? Should be? I’m still a newlywed!”

Colleen began to cry. Alf put a hand on her shoulder.

“We are safest here, if we hadn’t seen what was coming we wouldn’t have had a chance.”

Bailey got to the bike.

“I can’t leave you.”

“Shut up and go!”

Bailey looked pleadingly at her so to motivate him she began sprinting ahead of him leaving him no choice.

Cliffhanger! Next part should be up next saturday

Archived