Safe Epilogue

Guest Ali_

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the reviews, keep them coming!:P This is a belle-centric chapter but more Maddy and Ric next chapter.

It's because the whole story is going to take a change in direction, a little bit supernatural but nothing too out there.

Belle squirmed a little bit before she turned around and laughed silently to herself.

Bailey was bright red and was quickly composing himself.

“I wasn’t, I mean I was but it wasn’t all to do with you, just um sorry.”

Belle turned back around when he was decent.

“Who you jerk off about really is none of my business and I’m flattered you chose me over Angelina Jolie or Pamela Anderson but just keep it to yourself next time and I’ll learn to knock.”

“Okay.”

Belle stood still for a moment still shocked, she had walked in on the new house guest christening his room with himself.

Bailey stood awkwardly.

“Can you go now?”

“Oh sure I’ll let you finish up.”

She gave him a cheeky grin and left.

Lucas called only minutes after.

“Hey Belle.”

“Hey, aren’t you supposed to be coming over?”

“Yeah I want to but I think I should stay home tonight and help dad with dinner since Beth isn’t allowed near the kitchen, he’s so on edge at the moment but I can understand why.”

“Yeah that’s okay I have Bailey for company.”

“Who?”

“Our latest teenage house guest, he is going to go to Summer Bay high and he seems pretty cool despite the overuse of his right hand.”

“Does that mean what I think it means?”

“Yup and I got an eye full.”

“Damn that has to be scarring.”

“Actually it didn’t look too bad.”

Lucas laughed.

“Are you making me jealous as punishment for bailing on you?”

“Nope it’s just fun testing how possessive you are.”

“Well I’m very possessive and don’t you forget it, I want you married, pregnant and in the kitchen as soon as possible and you aren’t to speak to other men without wearing a sheet over your body so they can’t see how I lucky I got and try and steal my woman.”

They both laughed.

“Your woman? That cave man attitude is really sexy if a little bit backward.”

She was practically purring down the phone and it took Lucas every moral fibre and piece of will power not to run over to her but he knew sacrifices had to be made.

“You can’t seduce me over there I am stronger than that.”

“Please if I was trying to seduce you I’d have you tied to the bed in ten minutes this is little league baby. I’ve never had to go all out for anyone yet though so you’re off the hook I want you to stay home anyway.”

“You do?”

“Of course, I want you to support your family, you are lucky to have them. Just say hi to Beth for me and come around tomorrow with a ridiculously big bar of chocolate.”

“Done and done.”

“Cya.”

“No Lucas tonight?”

Belle, Irene and Bailey were sitting down to dinner. Bailey was unsurprisingly quiet that evening until then.

“Nah he’s with Beth which is best.”

“Is Lucas your lover boy?”

“Yes he is but I prefer the term lover man thanks.”

Irene was quick to change the subject, the subject always seemed to be the same when they were together it was sort of bitter quasi-flirting that made Irene uncomfortable.

“So hows the whole drop in centre plan going love?”

“I called the real estate agent this morning and he’s going to show me the old place, give me a price and let me know what needs doing to it and give me the names of builders etc so it’s going pretty well.”

“Good to hear. Bailey did you know Belle is going to open a drop-in centre in the bay? Very generous of her but that’s not surprising she has a big heart.”

“Well isn’t she just the patron saint of lost children? What with this and paying for my education you are turning out to be quite the philantripist.”

Belle frowned.

“The tone in your voice doesn’t make it sound like a good thing.”

“It is a really good thing.”

“Then why do you sound so resentful?”

Bailey stabbed at his food.

“I guess it’s been just a permanent attitude for the last few years that I act that way even when I don’t mean to.”

“Well it’s time to change it don’t you think?”

“Why should I when the girl I have a crush on is with another guy?”

He gave her a half smile and she couldn’t help smiling back.

“Well don’t worry Angelina Jolie will dumb Brad eventually and then she is all yours.”

Bailey didn’t want to say anything more, he knew her witty banter was just glazing over the issue. They both already knew the answer to a question like that and it wasn’t in Bailey’s favour so it was better to make light of the situation and no one got hurt. At least for now.

When Bailey went upstairs to watch TV Irene pulled Belle aside.

“I think it’s great you and Bailey are getting along well, it will make things easier for him but watch that crush he has and that you don’t encourage it because it could get messy living under the same roof.”

“Don’t worry he knows where he stands and that we are only kidding around. Why don’t you trust me not to cheat on my boyfriend?”

“I trust you but I’m not so sure Bailey has his head on straight sometimes.”

“I’m a big girl Colleen if he comes on too strong I’ll cut him down to size.”

“I have no doubt you will just as long as it doesn’t backfire and he runs away or goes back to drugs.”

“Bailey is smart and he knows he needs an education whether he’ll admit it or not so he wont do anything stupid.”

“If you say so.”

“Something is coming.”

Belle sat up straight in bed and tried to adjust her eyes to the darkened room. She had heard someone whisper and it woke her up.

Then Belle realised it was more likely she imagined or dreamt it considering her room was empty and silent. She walked into the kitchen and poured herself a glass of water trying to calm her heart rate, for some reason it really freaked her out.

Then as she turned to go back to her room she caught a glimspe of a figure in the corner of her eye sitting on the couch.

“Hello darling.”

Right there was Amanda, primmed and proper with her legs crossed on the couch.

“Thanks for spreading my ashes in the bay, I wouldn’t be able to speak to you now if you hadn’t.”

She was smiling and if Belle hadn’t quickly put down her glass she would have dropped it in shock. She looked so alive.

“You’re not real this is just a bad dream.”

“I’m not flesh and blood but I’m here.”

“Why?”

“I have to tell you something very important and I don’t have long so you have to listen.”

“Okay..”

Belle was shaking.

“Something terrible is going to happen to the bay and I don’t want you anywhere near here when it happens, a lot of people are going to die and I can’t warn them all so it’s up to you to save yourself.”

“What is it? I’m kind of not grasping the bad omen from my dead mother right now.”

“I can’t tell you what but you’ll know what I’m talking about before it happens, don’t be a hero Belle just get to safety understand?”

“I can’t leave Irene and Lucas though, what’s the point in leaving if I have nothing to go to?”

“Your life is the point and for once do as you’re told!”

“I wouldn’t be your daughter if I didn’t make the stupid choice so whatever this is, if this is even real, I choose to stay and help.”

Amanda smiled sadly.

“I thought you would but at least I can rest now I know you are going to have a fighting chance.”

“Wait, I have to ask something!”

“What?”

“What’s heaven like?”

She felt idiotic and immature for asking but if this wasn’t all a weird hallucination she wanted to ask the obvious questions.

“Fluffy.”

“Really?”

“Well no but the big guy makes you sign a non-disclosure agreement about the place if you ever try and make a trip back down so you’ll just have to wait until you die which, thanks to me, should be a long way away.”

“How close is this event?”

“Close but you have time.”

“That’s vague.”

“Hey there’s a thing called free will and I can’t influence your choices it’s against the rules, okay so I maybe broke one but nothing big! Besides god is all forgiving so I’m fine.”

“This is so not healthy for me.”

“I have to go they are doing roll call.”

“umm okay. Mum?”

“Yes honey.”

“I love you.”

“Me too but I get updates on how you are doing so you’re never on your own.”

“Bye.”

Then she was gone and Belle was sweating and crying on a ball on the kitchen floor before she had even processed it. She thought the people who had spiritual encounters were freaks but Belle had never felt such fullness and yet such responsibility in all her life. Joan of Arc definitely had it tough and Belle was beginning to understand how she felt.

She went back to bed and in the morning she denied to herself the whole incident because if it wasn’t a dream she was either insane and delusional or there really was going to be a dangerous event and either conclusion wasn’t exactly a hopeful one.

Lucas came around the next day with chocolate but even that couldn’t cheer her up, she still felt like she had the weight of the world on her shoulders and her cheeks were sore from crying the night before even though she shed tears less often than it rained in Africa.

“So how was your night?”

“Interesting.”

“Oh yeah?”

Before she could elaborate Bailey came running down the stairs.

“Morning sexy.”

Belle smiled.

“Hey pyjama boy.”

Bailey poured himself some juice when Lucas extended his hand.

“Hey I’m Lucas.”

Bailey looked at his hand like it had something disgusting on it but he shook it anyway to keep in Belle’s good books.

“Yo.”

“So how are you liking the bay?”

“It’s okay.”

“Good well if you ever want to go surfing -”

“I wont.”

“Oh okay.”

“No offence I just don’t surf.”

“Well I can teach you.”

“That’s a bit gay man.”

“What?”

Bailey hated acted like a dumb jerk but he couldn’t help it, as soon as he saw Lucas he automatically had a different attitude.

“Well if I’m going to be taught to surf I want it to be by a hot, beautiful breasted woman clad in a bikini, preferably Belle.”

“Well you’re out of luck I can't surf either.”

Lucas smiled politely but he really wanted to sucker punch him.

As Lucas and Bailey talked civially to each other Belle began to zone out involuntarily. All she could hear was a crashing noise around. She put her hands over her ears in confusion.

“You okay?”

Both guys looked concerned.

“Yeah I just have earache.”

Lucas stroked the back of her hair in concern and Bailey wanted to puke so he left them for his room.

“I think we should go clubbing tonight.”

Lucas frowned.

“I don’t think really loud music will cure earache.”

“I don’t care okay?”

She tried not to sound too angry.

“Sorry I’m just in a weird space right now.”

“It’s okay if you want to go clubbing than we will.”

“Thanks.”

Beth sat reading the newspaper in the kitchen when Tony came in looking dishevelled.

“You’re up early.”

“Sorry did I wake you? It is almost ten.”

“Nah I’m good. So you couldn’t sleep?”

“I could but now I have a new lease of life I want to make the most of it even if it is only reading the paper!”

“I admire the philosophy as long as you make the most of each day slowly because you are still recovering.”

“I do remember I had an operation! But yes I’ll stay housebound, the place has gathered dust so I’ll do some cleaning.”

“I can do that.”

“It’s fine you go to work and besides only a house wife can find relaxation and reflection in tidying up.”

“If you say so.”

“I do.”

“Well I’ll have a shower and make us some breakie.”

“Now that I wont say no to!”

That night Belle and Lucas entered the viaduct, the hottest club in the city. Belle looked the part with black boots, a puffy black skirt and a red halter neck and choker. Lucas was in a shirt and jeans.

Belle automatically hit the bar and downed two tequila shots before Lucas had even chosen what beer to drink.

“Belle I think you should slow down!”

“Why? We have to live life while we can.”

“There’s living life and then there’s ending up passed out in a taxi which is your imminent future if you carry on.”

“Why are you always such a drag? You’re my boyfriend not my father okay? If I wanted to be sensible I would be, but I don’t so either join me or get out of my way.”

Lucas frowned in hurt and confusion but Belle was already too tipsy to care. He said nothing and ordered himself a beer.

“I’m going to dance.”

Belle quickly ordered a vodka shot, downed it and walked out on to the dance floor, not waiting for a reply. She just had to get out of herself for a while and she had learnt alcohol was the best method of escape.

She moved and swayed to the fast paced music as if dancing to her own tune but the way she swished her hips and moved her arms and grinded into an imaginary pole was attracting her a lot of male attention, the outfit was also helping.

Lucas refused to follow her, if she wanted to make a dick of herself than he would let her, she’d feel it in the morning and that was what she deserved. She didn’t want him playing her hero so he was going to enjoy the music and the company of the female bartender until she was ready to crawl home.

Two hours later and Lucas was bored, jealous and pissed off. Belle had gone to a different part of the bar to order another few shots so that Lucas couldn’t berate her and returned to the dance floor to bump and grind with two strange men who had wandering hands. Belle was drunk but she loved it, no dead mother talking to her, no threats of imminent death and no responsibility - just her and the music.

She was drunk but she managed to slap away drunk advances up her skirt, she was still vaguely aware Lucas was probably watching her like a hawk. She smiled slightly at the thought of him and really wanted him to be the one up her skirt, she would at least have let him. She loved him so much it hurt and that’s when she remembered being drunk made her overly emotional. She was loved, and it felt great.

Then as if that wasn’t bad enough, Belle decided to get up on the stage with a few other drunk women and act like a stripper without the stripping, the way she danced was almost indecent. The hooting and clapping from the males in the sea of dancers showed they didn’t disapprove. Lucas knew she looked like sex personified and it both aroused and angered him. The other drunk women in slutty clothes eyed Belle jealously as she commanded the attention of her audience.

She finally got down to go to the toilet and there was a collected sigh from all the men including Lucas but for opposite reasons.

Once she came out of the bathroom a weasely looking man approached her, he looked too old to be at a club.

“Hey hot stuff.”

Belle was fumbling for her lipgloss and she didn’t reply, she couldn’t quite focus properly and everything seemed much more difficult.

“You know I think you and me should leave.”

Belle snorted drunkenly.

“Yeah right.”

“Seriously, I have a car outside.”

“No thanks I’d rather not.”

She slurred her words and mentally scolded herself for even bothering to reply.

He pushed her against the wall.

“I don’t care what you want.”

No one seemed to worry about the two of them even though it was obvious she needed help. She guessed they thought that the ‘slut’ was getting what she deserved.

“You see you don’t do what you do unless you want to get laid and I happen to want the same thing.”

“Get lost.”

Belle tried to push him away but he squeezed her wrist hard and ran his hand up her leg.

“Hey get off her.”

The weasely man turned around and laughed in Lucas’ face.

“Sorry I got here first.”

“She’s my girlfriend.”

“Bet that’s what they all say.”

Then before he could even think of a reply his hand was stretching out and punching the guy square in the jaw. All three of them looked shocked.

The weasley guy stood up straight and Belle wanted to scream out in adoration and surprise but she didn’t think opening her mouth was smart when it was far from over.

“You’re gonna get it now mate.”

Lucas stood in surprise, he had never been the fighting type and he definitely wasn’t ready for a scuffle. The guy lifted his arm to punch a defenceless Lucas when he got a blow to the other side of his jaw.

Bailey appeared beside him and was clicking his knuckles after he levelled the guy, he was unconscious.

“Bailey! What the hell are you doing here?”

“Saving you by the looks of it.”

“You knocked him out!”

Lucas couldn’t believe that Bailey who was shorter and weighed less could completely hit a guy to the floor.

“So? When you live on the streets you learn to defend yourself.”

Belle would have agreed but she was finding it difficult to stand let alone talk.

“How are you here though?”

“You’re not the only ones who can party all night.”

“Yeah but you are underage!”

Bailey looked at Belle in disbelief.

“Is your boyfriend really this prudish and naïve?”

Belle smiled and nodded, she almost fell over but steadied herself on a random woman walking past.

“We should get her home.”

Bailey nodded.

“You take one arm I’ll take the other.”

Together they managed to walk Belle out of the club and wait for a taxi.

“In all the commotion I forgot to thank you for stepping in.”

Bailey shrugged.

“It’s no big deal, I was kind of ready for it, I saw Belle up on the dance floor and those were some moves. I knew she’d get herself into trouble so I followed her.”

“It’s good she has a friend like you.”

He outstretched his hand and Bailey shook it this time without hesitation.

“Any time.”

They all went home in the taxi and Bailey and Lucas quietly put Belle to bed who was already half asleep, she murmured something incoherent and then began snoring.

“I should get going, tell Belle I’ll call her tomorrow.”

“Okay cya.”

He sat on Belle’s bed for a moment watching her, he knew she was off limits but it didn’t mean he couldn’t admire her when she didn’t know it. Lucas was a cool guy even if he did act younger than Bailey was and he wasn’t going to risk two new friends just to satisfy his lust by pursuing her.

The beginning of the end?

“How are you feeling?”

Belle groaned under the covers as a response.

Bailey put a glass of water and two aspirin on the side table. Belle peered out from under the covers.

“I want to thank you for last night, you were awesome.”

Bailey smiled shyly.

“Your boyfriend already said thanks don’t worry.”

“Well that was thanks from him this is thanks from me.”

She smiled at him appreciatively.

“So why did you do it?”

“What?”

“Why did you get plastered in the first place? What are you running from?”

“Can’t a girl have fun?”

“That wasn’t having fun that was a one woman mission to comatose, I just don’t get why. I mean you’re over the abuse of alcohol phase and you have a stable life. Trouble in paradise?”

“You don’t know me okay? Can you just shut up?”

“Looks like I hit a nerve.”

“You didn’t I’m just tired and hung over I’m sorry.”

“Alright, all I’m saying is you can’t deal with your problems by smothering it will alcohol it only comes back to bite you in the ass that much harder, trust me.”

“You are more mature than I thought you were.”

“That’s because when you have pasts like ours you grow up fast. I’ve learnt my lesson and can have a go at doing the normal teenage life thanks to someone who was willing to take a chance on me.”

“Irene is great like that.”

“I meant you, but Irene has too.”

“Don’t mention it, I can already tell my investment is paying off.”

“Well I’m going to try and surf, if I’m not back in by lunch I will have drowned.”

Belle laughed but rolled over in agony as she felt her head pounding.

“You were totally flirting with her!”

“I was not!”

“Oh please it was so obvious. She asked you if you worked out!”

“Well I do! It isn’t a crime to answer a question!”

“You’re an idiot!”

Matilda automatically regretted calling him names but it was too late.

“Oh am I? I’m your idiotic husband! Well it’s nice to know where I stand.”

“I didn’t mean that.”

“Yes you did.”

Ric stormed off into their bedroom and Maddy was left reeling on the sofa.

She didn’t know what had happened, one minute they were like an advertisement for successful young couples everywhere and now they were bickering all the time over the stupidest things.

If Ric left his wet towels on the bathroom floor.

If Maddy left her makeup lying around on the kitchen table.

If Ric was late for dinner.

If Maddy slept in for too long.

Any little thing that used to be tolerated and even quirky now was grinding on their nerves. They never argued around Willow but the feeling guilty about arguing made them resent each other more and this latest flirting incident was the icing on the cake.

It was didn’t help that Lucas and Belle were the most in love couple she had seen and Henry and Cassie were so in tune and has so much fun. When all her friend’s love lives were a mess, Maddy at least appreciated her own more but now she was becoming bitter that theirs had changed.

Ric was right, she did mean to call him an idiot, not because she thought he was one but she was frustrated and just wanted to vent. Ric however, was past being understanding and she didn’t really blame him.

Maddy took her home made lasagne out of the oven and took it around to Beth’s for lunch.

“Hey mum!”

“You didn’t have to make me lunch, I was just going to have a sandwich.”

“I wanted to and in return I need some advice.”

“Sure, what is it?”

They sat down at the table to eat.

“It’s me and Ric.”

“Okay.”

“Things aren’t going so well.”

Maddy felt herself tearing up, not because it hurt that much but mainly because she missed Ric and her old self.

“Why what happened?”

So Maddy explained things and the more she explained the more angry she got.

“He is such an idiot mum!”

“No he’s not and you know it, remember saying stuff like that landed you here in the first place.”

“I know but I wanted to see you too it wasn’t purely out of self interest that I came around.”

“I don’t care if it is or isn’t it is so wonderful to talk about someone else for a change.”

“So what are your wise words yoda?”

“Here they are: you have been a spoilt and sheltered most of your life and you are used to getting your own way, Ric has been independent and answered to no one most of his life so once the honeymoon period of marriage is over you starting realising the little things that you clash about.”

“Yeah but we’ve always been that way and we still got together.”

“That’s because there was spark and attraction and you don’t see that each other do have flaws. You’ve been married a while now and being adults with responsibility and living together takes work, you’re not always supposed to be floating on air. You will argue, sulk and flare up at each other many more times in your future its whether you let the little things become a big deal or see the big picture that counts.”

“So you think I’m being petty?”

“No you are both just learning how to adjust to the novelty wearing off and the fact you can love someone and still get annoyed with them. You just have to talk to him and not fight about everything like you would with Henry, he deserves your respect and effort even when he may be the last person you want to see and he has to afford you the same politeness.”

“Marriage isn’t about being polite though.”

“No but it isn’t about who is right or wrong either. I think you may need some space from each other, you are inseparable mainly due to Willow so it might help to have a girls night out and remember that you are both still young.”

“You are right as usual. So how are you feeling?”

Beth sighed in exasperation at the question she had heard a hundred times already.

“I’m fine. You know me I’m practically indestructible.”

“I think when you are a bit better we should go out into the woods and have a party and burn all your bras! You never have to suffer one again!"

“I never thought of that, it is a nice change I must admit.”

“Has Tony seen them?”

“My scars?”

“Yes.”

“No.”

“But the doctor said they are basically healed by now, are they still red or swollen?”

“No.”

“Are they sore?”

“Well no.”

“Then why?”

Beth was quiet for a moment. Maddy regretted being so pushy.

“I hate looking at it myself so why would I scare him with it?”

“You wont scare him!”

“No but I don’t want to see pity or sadness or disgust on his face or I’ll never undress again, it’s just too hard.”

“It’s Tony, he adores you no matter what and a wise woman once taught me to look past my burns years ago and realise that beauty isn’t skin deep. I think you should take your own advice.”

Beth felt herself tearing up and smiled.

"It’s come to that time I always dreaded.”

“What time?”

“When a mothers job is done, I don’t think I could say anything or do anything now that would make you a better human being.”

“I don’t know about that, but as long as you keep giving me advice I’ll be grateful, If I can do half the job raising Willow that you did raising us I’ll be proud.”

“Come here.”

Maddy slid over and gave her mum a hug. She felt all the anger and tension leaving her body

“Well I should go make up with my husband. When does yours come home?”

“Not for a good few hours. I’m glad though, I love him to pieces but I also love my free time.”

“Don’t need to tell me twice, I’ll get out of your hair but thanks for the talk.”

“No problem sweetie, any time.”

“Bye.”

“Willow what are you doing?”

Willow was sitting on the carpet by the TV eating a chocolate biscuit with a drink of juice beside her.

“I’m watching TV.”

“Don’t act smart with me I have told you over and over to eat at the table so you don’t get crumbs or juice everywhere like last time.”

“I wont do it again.”

“I don’t care just do as I say!”

Willow finished all her drink.

“Now I can’t spill it.”

“Willow put the biscuit on the table or I’ll send you to your room!”

Willow began systematically putting the entire chocolate biscuit into her mouth and smiled.

Maddy rolled her eyes and willow cracked up laughing although the sound was muffled by the giant food item jammed into her mouth.

Maddy groaned.

“Don’t come to me if you start choking!”

Ric came home from work half an hour later, they hadn’t talked since their latest argument as Ric had left for work by the time she got home from lunch.

“Hi.”

Ric eyed Willow so gave her a civil hello back.

“Hey Will.”

Willow tried to say hi back but it came out as muffled noise, used to Willow’s antics, Ric didn’t find it at all odd.

“Willow go to your room!”

Willow swallowed quickly and whined.

“But I finished the biscuit!”

“Please just do it for now and then I may consider giving you another biscuit if it stays on the table.”

“Okay.”

Her parents’ logic didn’t make much sense to her but she lived in a simple world where she would do anything for chocolate-covered food.

“I’m sorry for earlier.”

Ric looked at her closely and replied with a voice that showed just how tired he was of it all.

“Are you?”

“I genuinely am, it was rude and pathetically childish of me to call you names I guess my green eyed monster is particularly ugly.”

“But this has been going on for ages, me and you.”

“I know so lets change it.”

“How? Everything we do ends in an argument.”

“Not so far, and where’s my optimistic husband I know so well?”

“So what do you suggest?”

“We all go out to dinner tonight and then on Saturday I’ll have a girls night with Cassie and Belle and you can have a night out with Lucas and Henry.”

“You think it will solve everything?”

“Well no but it will help.”

“Okay.”

“I just know I love you.”

Ric smiled.

“I love you too.”

“Fighting may work for Cassie and Henry’s relationship but not for ours but I’m sure if we just remember that we are human and make mistakes that things will get better.”

“Well I’m sorry for being a jerk too, I don’t know what’s gotten into me but from now on I am Mr perfect husband.”

“And I will be Mrs perfect wife.”

“Perfect.”

Maddy laughed.

“Great well I should get our ‘perfect’ daughter out of her room.”

“In good faith I should tell you she has a stash of those biscuits in her bottom drawer.”

“What!”

The arguing then stop between Maddy and Ric and began between Maddy and Willow.

That night Lucas sat by Belle’s bed reading with the lamp on. This wasn’t the way he had planned to spend the night, it had all started out great - they made love, chatted and joke around, finally went to sleep but then an hour later he was woken.

“Run okay! Get the bike! The bike go!”

Belle had been in a fitful sleep obviously having some sort of nightmare because she thrashed around in bed, was sweating and not at all quiet. Lucas had tried to wake her a few times but she would slap him away telling him he shouldn’t be there and to run. It made no sense but the more he got involved the worse her nightmare got so he decided to let her take up the bed and have a nap when he got home in the morning. At least the book was a good one.

In the morning Belle awakened with a shudder.

“Morning.”

Lucas had just woken up from finally falling asleep awkwardly in the chair.

“Why didn’t you sleep in the bed?”

“You were having a nightmare, limbs were everywhere and you were shouting a little too loud to fall asleep to.”

“Sorry.”

Belle looked uncomfortable.

“It’s okay you’ve never done it before so I assume it was something to do with the hangover.”

Belle nodded but looked unsure.

“What was your dream about?”

“It was stupid, all I remember was this fuzzy figure running in front of me and crashing, this cold loud crashing noise everywhere.”

“That sounds pretty odd.”

“It was, I just remember this intense feeling of dread, that was the scary part.”

Lucas gave her a hug and kissed her head.

“Well nothing will happen to you I promise.”

“I know it was only a dream.”

Dreams had a lot to answer for these days.

A few weeks went by and Ric and Maddy were more or less back to normal, the nights out away from each other were the main reason because they appreciated each other more when they returned. It also happened that Belle and Cassie became friends after bonding over boys and getting drunk together. It was bizarre that in only a month Belle had gained more friends and a better relationship than she had ever had before. She knew it was her attitude and the fact she had lost her mum, in a way she had Amanda to thank for her new found happiness even if she was the cause of all the sadness too.

“This weekend I think we should go the Ethiopian restaurant and then clubbing with the drink of choice being margaritas what do you think?”

Belle and Maddy nodded in agreement as they had coffee at the diner, Irene marvelled at how they could have become thick as thieves so quickly.

“We did Indian and Martinis last Saturday so it sounds good to do Ethiopian.”

Belle frowned.

“I didn’t know they had food in Ethiopa, should be a short dinner.”

Belle cracked up laughing at her own joke before realising she was the only one.

“It’s from when Harry met Sally. It’s a joke.”

They both began to laugh.

“Oh yeah I remember now, Billy Crystal is awesome.”

“Okay I don’t want you to say anything I’ll just show you and that’ll be the end of it.”

Tony nodded.

Beth opened her pyjama top and showed Tony her scars. He looked a little taken aback but he didn’t stare long before smiling up at Beth.”

“You’re still beautiful.”

He moved over to touch the stretched skin and then kissed it. Beth smiled.

“What did I do to deserve you?”

“I could ask you the same thing.”

They began kissing and Beth finally felt comfortable to be with Tony for the first time since the operation, she was good as new after that.

It was on the Saturday morning that things changed. Belle was walking to the diner to meet Lucas for lunch when she felt the earth begin to shake, she grabbed on to a fence as it felt like the earth was literally swaying beneath her, it was a bizarre and frightening experience. Then a minute later it was gone.

Belle ran to the surf club to find everything was normal.

“Irene!”

“What can I get you?”

“Did you just feel that?”

“Feel what?”

“The earthquake!”

Irene laughed.

“I think it must have been your imagination because I didn’t feel a thing.”

Belle screwed up her face in confusion before Lucas put an arm around her.

“Good afternoon.”

“You just felt that right?”

“Felt what?”

“The freaking earthquake!”

Lucas smiled sympathetically.

“That’s impossible, we don’t get earthquakes in Australia we aren’t on any fault lines.”

Belle felt herself tearing up unusually and she walked outside but Lucas followed.

“Are you okay?”

“No.”

Belle sniffed.

“I think I’m going insane.”

Lucas laughed.

“You already are insane that’s what I love about you.”

Belle smiled slightly but began to cry.

“I mean it.”

Lucas hugged her but looked scared, he had rarely seen Belle cry and over something so random, it was discomforting.

“You’re not going insane.”

“I haven’t told you everything.”

So they sat down on a bench and Belle explained about her encounter with post-life Amanda and her message and the crashing noises as Lucas listened intently.

“Well it doesn’t sound like you are going insane, sometimes grief presents itself in different ways, maybe Amanda coming to you and telling you she’s okay is a way of your mind helping you to let go and her message about the danger and that you should run may be just a representation of all that you’ve gained since you’ve been here and your fear that you’ll run from it and that it’s dangerous to love.”

Belle nodded.

“But it felt so real, and the feeling of dread, the crashing and my weird dreams since are beginning to freak me out. The thing is the earthquake hallucination thing, I felt the dread again I think it was what Amanda told me I’d know was the warning.

“It could be anxiety attacks but I can’t answer the rest, I just think you have to try and rationalise how likely it is that Summer Bay will be destroyed and that Amanda really is talking to you.”

“I know it sounds stupid okay! Believe me! I just trust my instincts and my instincts are telling me something is horribly wrong.”

So what you think? Its building to the climax of the story soon.

The beginning of the end?

“How are you feeling?”

Belle groaned under the covers as a response.

Bailey put a glass of water and two aspirin on the side table. Belle peered out from under the covers.

“I want to thank you for last night, you were awesome.”

Bailey smiled shyly.

“Your boyfriend already said thanks don’t worry.”

“Well that was thanks from him this is thanks from me.”

She smiled at him appreciatively.

“So why did you do it?”

“What?”

“Why did you get plastered in the first place? What are you running from?”

“Can’t a girl have fun?”

“That wasn’t having fun that was a one woman mission to comatose, I just don’t get why. I mean you’re over the abuse of alcohol phase and you have a stable life. Trouble in paradise?”

“You don’t know me okay? Can you just shut up?”

“Looks like I hit a nerve.”

“You didn’t I’m just tired and hung over I’m sorry.”

“Alright, all I’m saying is you can’t deal with your problems by smothering it will alcohol it only comes back to bite you in the ass that much harder, trust me.”

“You are more mature than I thought you were.”

“That’s because when you have pasts like ours you grow up fast. I’ve learnt my lesson and can have a go at doing the normal teenage life thanks to someone who was willing to take a chance on me.”

“Irene is great like that.”

“I meant you, but Irene has too.”

“Don’t mention it, I can already tell my investment is paying off.”

“Well I’m going to try and surf, if I’m not back in by lunch I will have drowned.”

Belle laughed but rolled over in agony as she felt her head pounding.

“You were totally flirting with her!”

“I was not!”

“Oh please it was so obvious. She asked you if you worked out!”

“Well I do! It isn’t a crime to answer a question!”

“You’re an idiot!”

Matilda automatically regretted calling him names but it was too late.

“Oh am I? I’m your idiotic husband! Well it’s nice to know where I stand.”

“I didn’t mean that.”

“Yes you did.”

Ric stormed off into their bedroom and Maddy was left reeling on the sofa.

She didn’t know what had happened, one minute they were like an advertisement for successful young couples everywhere and now they were bickering all the time over the stupidest things.

If Ric left his wet towels on the bathroom floor.

If Maddy left her makeup lying around on the kitchen table.

If Ric was late for dinner.

If Maddy slept in for too long.

Any little thing that used to be tolerated and even quirky now was grinding on their nerves. They never argued around Willow but the feeling guilty about arguing made them resent each other more and this latest flirting incident was the icing on the cake.

It was didn’t help that Lucas and Belle were the most in love couple she had seen and Henry and Cassie were so in tune and has so much fun. When all her friend’s love lives were a mess, Maddy at least appreciated her own more but now she was becoming bitter that theirs had changed.

Ric was right, she did mean to call him an idiot, not because she thought he was one but she was frustrated and just wanted to vent. Ric however, was past being understanding and she didn’t really blame him.

Maddy took her home made lasagne out of the oven and took it around to Beth’s for lunch.

“Hey mum!”

“You didn’t have to make me lunch, I was just going to have a sandwich.”

“I wanted to and in return I need some advice.”

“Sure, what is it?”

They sat down at the table to eat.

“It’s me and Ric.”

“Okay.”

“Things aren’t going so well.”

Maddy felt herself tearing up, not because it hurt that much but mainly because she missed Ric and her old self.

“Why what happened?”

So Maddy explained things and the more she explained the more angry she got.

“He is such an idiot mum!”

“No he’s not and you know it, remember saying stuff like that landed you here in the first place.”

“I know but I wanted to see you too it wasn’t purely out of self interest that I came around.”

“I don’t care if it is or isn’t it is so wonderful to talk about someone else for a change.”

“So what are your wise words yoda?”

“Here they are: you have been a spoilt and sheltered most of your life and you are used to getting your own way, Ric has been independent and answered to no one most of his life so once the honeymoon period of marriage is over you starting realising the little things that you clash about.”

“Yeah but we’ve always been that way and we still got together.”

“That’s because there was spark and attraction and you don’t see that each other do have flaws. You’ve been married a while now and being adults with responsibility and living together takes work, you’re not always supposed to be floating on air. You will argue, sulk and flare up at each other many more times in your future its whether you let the little things become a big deal or see the big picture that counts.”

“So you think I’m being petty?”

“No you are both just learning how to adjust to the novelty wearing off and the fact you can love someone and still get annoyed with them. You just have to talk to him and not fight about everything like you would with Henry, he deserves your respect and effort even when he may be the last person you want to see and he has to afford you the same politeness.”

“Marriage isn’t about being polite though.”

“No but it isn’t about who is right or wrong either. I think you may need some space from each other, you are inseparable mainly due to Willow so it might help to have a girls night out and remember that you are both still young.”

“You are right as usual. So how are you feeling?”

Beth sighed in exasperation at the question she had heard a hundred times already.

“I’m fine. You know me I’m practically indestructible.”

“I think when you are a bit better we should go out into the woods and have a party and burn all your bras! You never have to suffer one again!"

“I never thought of that, it is a nice change I must admit.”

“Has Tony seen them?”

“My scars?”

“Yes.”

“No.”

“But the doctor said they are basically healed by now, are they still red or swollen?”

“No.”

“Are they sore?”

“Well no.”

“Then why?”

Beth was quiet for a moment. Maddy regretted being so pushy.

“I hate looking at it myself so why would I scare him with it?”

“You wont scare him!”

“No but I don’t want to see pity or sadness or disgust on his face or I’ll never undress again, it’s just too hard.”

“It’s Tony, he adores you no matter what and a wise woman once taught me to look past my burns years ago and realise that beauty isn’t skin deep. I think you should take your own advice.”

Beth felt herself tearing up and smiled.

"It’s come to that time I always dreaded.”

“What time?”

“When a mothers job is done, I don’t think I could say anything or do anything now that would make you a better human being.”

“I don’t know about that, but as long as you keep giving me advice I’ll be grateful, If I can do half the job raising Willow that you did raising us I’ll be proud.”

“Come here.”

Maddy slid over and gave her mum a hug. She felt all the anger and tension leaving her body

“Well I should go make up with my husband. When does yours come home?”

“Not for a good few hours. I’m glad though, I love him to pieces but I also love my free time.”

“Don’t need to tell me twice, I’ll get out of your hair but thanks for the talk.”

“No problem sweetie, any time.”

“Bye.”

“Willow what are you doing?”

Willow was sitting on the carpet by the TV eating a chocolate biscuit with a drink of juice beside her.

“I’m watching TV.”

“Don’t act smart with me I have told you over and over to eat at the table so you don’t get crumbs or juice everywhere like last time.”

“I wont do it again.”

“I don’t care just do as I say!”

Willow finished all her drink.

“Now I can’t spill it.”

“Willow put the biscuit on the table or I’ll send you to your room!”

Willow began systematically putting the entire chocolate biscuit into her mouth and smiled.

Maddy rolled her eyes and willow cracked up laughing although the sound was muffled by the giant food item jammed into her mouth.

Maddy groaned.

“Don’t come to me if you start choking!”

Ric came home from work half an hour later, they hadn’t talked since their latest argument as Ric had left for work by the time she got home from lunch.

“Hi.”

Ric eyed Willow so gave her a civil hello back.

“Hey Will.”

Willow tried to say hi back but it came out as muffled noise, used to Willow’s antics, Ric didn’t find it at all odd.

“Willow go to your room!”

Willow swallowed quickly and whined.

“But I finished the biscuit!”

“Please just do it for now and then I may consider giving you another biscuit if it stays on the table.”

“Okay.”

Her parents’ logic didn’t make much sense to her but she lived in a simple world where she would do anything for chocolate-covered food.

“I’m sorry for earlier.”

Ric looked at her closely and replied with a voice that showed just how tired he was of it all.

“Are you?”

“I genuinely am, it was rude and pathetically childish of me to call you names I guess my green eyed monster is particularly ugly.”

“But this has been going on for ages, me and you.”

“I know so lets change it.”

“How? Everything we do ends in an argument.”

“Not so far, and where’s my optimistic husband I know so well?”

“So what do you suggest?”

“We all go out to dinner tonight and then on Saturday I’ll have a girls night with Cassie and Belle and you can have a night out with Lucas and Henry.”

“You think it will solve everything?”

“Well no but it will help.”

“Okay.”

“I just know I love you.”

Ric smiled.

“I love you too.”

“Fighting may work for Cassie and Henry’s relationship but not for ours but I’m sure if we just remember that we are human and make mistakes that things will get better.”

“Well I’m sorry for being a jerk too, I don’t know what’s gotten into me but from now on I am Mr perfect husband.”

“And I will be Mrs perfect wife.”

“Perfect.”

Maddy laughed.

“Great well I should get our ‘perfect’ daughter out of her room.”

“In good faith I should tell you she has a stash of those biscuits in her bottom drawer.”

“What!”

The arguing then stop between Maddy and Ric and began between Maddy and Willow.

That night Lucas sat by Belle’s bed reading with the lamp on. This wasn’t the way he had planned to spend the night, it had all started out great - they made love, chatted and joke around, finally went to sleep but then an hour later he was woken.

“Run okay! Get the bike! The bike go!”

Belle had been in a fitful sleep obviously having some sort of nightmare because she thrashed around in bed, was sweating and not at all quiet. Lucas had tried to wake her a few times but she would slap him away telling him he shouldn’t be there and to run. It made no sense but the more he got involved the worse her nightmare got so he decided to let her take up the bed and have a nap when he got home in the morning. At least the book was a good one.

In the morning Belle awakened with a shudder.

“Morning.”

Lucas had just woken up from finally falling asleep awkwardly in the chair.

“Why didn’t you sleep in the bed?”

“You were having a nightmare, limbs were everywhere and you were shouting a little too loud to fall asleep to.”

“Sorry.”

Belle looked uncomfortable.

“It’s okay you’ve never done it before so I assume it was something to do with the hangover.”

Belle nodded but looked unsure.

“What was your dream about?”

“It was stupid, all I remember was this fuzzy figure running in front of me and crashing, this cold loud crashing noise everywhere.”

“That sounds pretty odd.”

“It was, I just remember this intense feeling of dread, that was the scary part.”

Lucas gave her a hug and kissed her head.

“Well nothing will happen to you I promise.”

“I know it was only a dream.”

Dreams had a lot to answer for these days.

A few weeks went by and Ric and Maddy were more or less back to normal, the nights out away from each other were the main reason because they appreciated each other more when they returned. It also happened that Belle and Cassie became friends after bonding over boys and getting drunk together. It was bizarre that in only a month Belle had gained more friends and a better relationship than she had ever had before. She knew it was her attitude and the fact she had lost her mum, in a way she had Amanda to thank for her new found happiness even if she was the cause of all the sadness too.

“This weekend I think we should go the Ethiopian restaurant and then clubbing with the drink of choice being margaritas what do you think?”

Belle and Maddy nodded in agreement as they had coffee at the diner, Irene marvelled at how they could have become thick as thieves so quickly.

“We did Indian and Martinis last Saturday so it sounds good to do Ethiopian.”

Belle frowned.

“I didn’t know they had food in Ethiopa, should be a short dinner.”

Belle cracked up laughing at her own joke before realising she was the only one.

“It’s from when Harry met Sally. It’s a joke.”

They both began to laugh.

“Oh yeah I remember now, Billy Crystal is awesome.”

“Okay I don’t want you to say anything I’ll just show you and that’ll be the end of it.”

Tony nodded.

Beth opened her pyjama top and showed Tony her scars. He looked a little taken aback but he didn’t stare long before smiling up at Beth.”

“You’re still beautiful.”

He moved over to touch the stretched skin and then kissed it. Beth smiled.

“What did I do to deserve you?”

“I could ask you the same thing.”

They began kissing and Beth finally felt comfortable to be with Tony for the first time since the operation, she was good as new after that.

It was on the Saturday morning that things changed. Belle was walking to the diner to meet Lucas for lunch when she felt the earth begin to shake, she grabbed on to a fence as it felt like the earth was literally swaying beneath her, it was a bizarre and frightening experience. Then a minute later it was gone.

Belle ran to the surf club to find everything was normal.

“Irene!”

“What can I get you?”

“Did you just feel that?”

“Feel what?”

“The earthquake!”

Irene laughed.

“I think it must have been your imagination because I didn’t feel a thing.”

Belle screwed up her face in confusion before Lucas put an arm around her.

“Good afternoon.”

“You just felt that right?”

“Felt what?”

“The freaking earthquake!”

Lucas smiled sympathetically.

“That’s impossible, we don’t get earthquakes in Australia we aren’t on any fault lines.”

Belle felt herself tearing up unusually and she walked outside but Lucas followed.

“Are you okay?”

“No.”

Belle sniffed.

“I think I’m going insane.”

Lucas laughed.

“You already are insane that’s what I love about you.”

Belle smiled slightly but began to cry.

“I mean it.”

Lucas hugged her but looked scared, he had rarely seen Belle cry and over something so random, it was discomforting.

“You’re not going insane.”

“I haven’t told you everything.”

So they sat down on a bench and Belle explained about her encounter with post-life Amanda and her message and the crashing noises as Lucas listened intently.

“Well it doesn’t sound like you are going insane, sometimes grief presents itself in different ways, maybe Amanda coming to you and telling you she’s okay is a way of your mind helping you to let go and her message about the danger and that you should run may be just a representation of all that you’ve gained since you’ve been here and your fear that you’ll run from it and that it’s dangerous to love.”

Belle nodded.

“But it felt so real, and the feeling of dread, the crashing and my weird dreams since are beginning to freak me out. The thing is the earthquake hallucination thing, I felt the dread again I think it was what Amanda told me I’d know was the warning.

“It could be anxiety attacks but I can’t answer the rest, I just think you have to try and rationalise how likely it is that Summer Bay will be destroyed and that Amanda really is talking to you.”

“I know it sounds stupid okay! Believe me! I just trust my instincts and my instincts are telling me something is horribly wrong.”

So what you think? Its building to the climax of the story soon.

Ali just to say your stories are fantastic. Am loving this storyline.

Is Belle going to run off with Bailey though?

Archived