Safe Epilogue

Guest Ali_

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry it's late my internet was playing up.

The minute of running before the water hit was one of the most serene of Belle’s life. Her heart was beating in her ears but seeing Bailey biking ahead of her to safety made her calm. Even if she was going to die she had saved someone special to her and the people she loved were no longer in danger. The fact she knew there was life after death also helped in consoling her that she may die as well, not many people were lucky enough not to fear death.

Everyone was shouting at Bailey and Belle to hurry and Irene was almost having a heart attack, the wave evened out as it approached the beach but it was moving fast enough to knock both runners off their feet and drown them.

Lucas oustretched his hand to Bailey who leapt on to the table and then on to the roof, Belle was a few seconds behind and for the first time in years Bailey actually prayed for her safety.

Belle was about to get on to the table when the water finally approached the diner. It surged around the building and Belle tumbled over under the water and was washed metres away. Irene screamed and Bailey uttered an angry curse word, Lucas couldn’t form words.

The crashing of the water around her pumped into her ears and it was so cold Belle could barely move. She was tossed around like a rag doll as the water rushed into houses and gardens and pushed cars down the road. Belle was slammed into the side of a truck and she would have cried out in pain but she was too busy holding her breath hoping she’d survive long enough for the water level to go down the further the ocean invaded the town.

She was fighting to live, not because she was scared to die but because she’d miss Lucas too much, she realised she wanted to move in with him, cook him a proper dinner, marry him and have children with him and she refused to have those aspirations for nothing. She was Belle Taylor, she’d beat a bit of water.

The further she was taken though the harder it was to keep in her breath, her lungs were pierced with pain and after a long battle she finally gave in. Everything went dark.

When she opened her eyes she was in an office, it was blinding with it’s white walls, white desk and white suited..Amanda.

Belle thought she was dreaming.

“Mum?”

“Hi honey.”

She looked magnificent sitting behind a desk piled high with paperwork on both sides of her.

“Whats going on?”

“Your in limbo.”

“What do you mean?”

“Well you are not completely dead but you’re not exactly alive either.”

Belle sat in stunned silence so Amanda continued.

“This is the office in limbo where all people like you come, I’m here to ease the potential transition and make you more comfortable.”

“Huh?”

“We need to sort out some documents while we wait.”

“Wait?”

“Wait to see if you live or die, it sounds horrible and I don’t exactly enjoy being here but it’s policy.”

The kingdom of heaven was much more mundane than Belle had expected.

“What are you going to weigh my sins against my good deeds to see where I go?”

“Of course not, you get automatic entry into heaven, in fact you are penthouse material, self sacrifice like what you did for Bailey is a big thumbs up from the big guy. Things are going to be pretty cushy if you do happen to pass on now but either way your luxury quarters are reserved no matter what whether you die now or later. That’s at least something I can be thankful for.”

Belle felt sick. Amanda was talking about real estate in her moment of crisis.

“So what now?”

“Well you have to sign a form stating whether you want to remain upstairs permanently or have day trips back down.”

“Sorry?”

“You see when you die you can choose whether you visit loved ones in spirit and watch over them, you can choose the holiday package where you only go down for birthdays, weddings etc or the annual leave where you choose a day to look over others or you can never return to earth at all. Also you get one free ‘intervention’ pass for all eternity where you can communicate with the living, I used mine on you and you’ll get one too. If you intervene more than once all your privileges are revoked.”

“I think I’m going to vomit.”

“Hun you can’t physically vomit because you are not in your body.”

“So where am I?”

“In hospital.”

“Already?”

“A month has passed on earth.”

“Oh my god.”

“You’re in a coma, your chances aren’t great but Lucas is ever vigilant and refused to give up.”

Belle smiled slightly.

“Of course he wont.”

“Just so you know, if you wake up you’ll have no memory of any of this for obvious reasons.”

“Sure I think it’s probably best for my sanity, not that every girls dream isn’t to die and end up in an office.”

“Don’t make it sound so dull, it only looks like an office because you’ll be less shocked and much more focussed than if I pulled out the big guns.”

“Which are?”

“Well stuff like that you have to wait for until you are actually dead.”

Belle rolled her eyes but couldn’t help how humbled she felt. After signing a few documents including the holiday package deal the phone rang. Amanda looked slightly sad.

“You are free to return to your body.”

“I am?”

“Yep it’s been a few weeks more and apparently your brain is firing up again and you have rapid eye movement which means you better hurry. You’ve signed all the official documents which just means now you don’t have to bother with it next time.”

“Okay so where do I go?”

“Just out the door and on the left is a set of stairs, go down them into the light and you’ll wake up completely ignorant of what we’ve discussed.”

“I want to say thanks for everything mum, I’ll see you someday again right?”

“Of course you will, take care.”

Belle wasn’t sure how she was supposed to walk without a body but it was surprisingly easy, she went down the stairs to be confronted with a blinding light, it felt weird to know she wouldn’t remember any of this afterwards but she knew it was for the best, she was getting her life back.

Then suddenly out of the darkness she woke up to a fuzzy light and began choking on the tube in her throat. Her arms flailed in panic as she wondered what the hell was going on, she remembered holding Lucas’ hand and suddenly she was in hospital?

“Belle it’s okay I’m here.”

Lucas grabbed her hand tight as the nurse took out her tube in astonishment. Bailey was sitting on the other side of her with a look of relief on his face, he looked like he had aged ten years and she wondered why.

Irene ran inside almost in tears.

“Thank god.”

Belle tried to speak as the doctor came in but she couldn’t.

“Don’t worry Belle your mouth is just dry, we’ll get you a water in a minute so you can ask any questions. This is certainly extraordinary.”

Irene frowned.

“Well sure she beat the odds but she’s back and that’s all that matters.”

Belle realised suddenly how dreary everyone looked, Irene was wearing mismatched clothes and the hallway outside was wet and dirty. She wanted to ask why their wasn’t any proper lighting in the room other than those attached to the mini generator but she kept it for later.

“The thing is though that Belle was basically brain dead a few minutes ago, I was going to come in to get you to decide about whether you wanted to keep her on life support and suddenly she has not only regained brain function but she is conscious and has the potential to talk, considering how long her brain was starved of oxygen this is a medical miracle.”

Belle looked at Bailey and he smiled knowingly at her, both of them with a greater belief in something they couldn’t even explain.

He smiled at them all.

“Well anyway as I’m sure you can understand I’m swamped with patients so I’ll give you a few hours and once we’ve pumped you full of fluids you are free to leave.”

He dashed out of the room and once Belle has taken a sip of drink she could finally talk.

“Okay someone needs to explain.”

So Lucas told her about her heroic actions, her stupidity in doing them and his fear he had lost her forever. Bailey then piped in with the information that she had basically drowned but one of the neighbourhood dogs had somehow dragged her body out of the water when it was safe enough to do so.

“So who found me?”

“Me and Ric, as soon as the water had stop flowing so fast we swam to where we guessed the current had taken you, Ric did CPR and although it got the water out of your lungs you went unconscious.”

“Wow.”

“I know. The clean up has been pretty extensive, luckily the top floors of the hospital were operational throughout, you got moved down here a few days ago, it’s still pretty damp but it’s getting repaired.”

“What about all the houses?”

“Well the ones on stilts were intact, Irene’s house was hit pretty hard, the furniture was washed out of the front door that got ripped off it’s hinges but the upstairs is okay and the structure is sound.”

“What about Beth’s?”

“It’s in pretty bad shape but we are working on it, the government sent in aid and most of us are staying at motels outside the damage zone and commuting back and forth each day.”

“Maddy and Ric’s place?”

“It’s fine as far as the structure goes."

“What do you mean?”

“Anything that wasn’t attached to the floor or walls is gone and the windows blew out, the doors are detatched, the wallpaper and carpet need replacing and it will take a lot of work to repair it al."

“That sucks.”

“I’m glad your okay, you’ve been on the news you know.”

“Really? My fifteen seconds of fame and I missed it, typical!”

“They are calling you a hero, you saved Bailey’s life.”

Bailey laughed.

“Oh yeah I forgot to say thank you for that by the way.”

Belle smiled.

“No problem.”

Lucas leant over and kissed her head so Bailey and Irene left to give them time alone.

“I have some more bad news.”

“What?”

“The drop in centre was completely destroyed, there’s nothing left.”

Belle sighed.

“Maybe it wasn’t meant to be, I can always open a drop in centre in the city.”

“What?”

“Well you got offered a great job in the city and I don’t want you to give it up, so as soon as Summer Bay is on it’s feet we should leave.”

“How did you know about the job offer?”

“I read your mail.”

Lucas was too unsurprised to bother giving a lecture about invasion of privacy, he was just glad she was speaking at all. The month she was in a coma were was the most miserable of his life.

“Well I don’t want to leave unless you are happy with it.”

“I’ll go where you go boyfriend.”

“It has to be a mutual decision, I mean it’s a great opportunity but it’s not the end of the word if I decline.”

“You’re going to accept or you’d be an idiot and I don’t fall in love with idiots.”

Lucas smiled.

“Thankyou.”

They both smiled at each other before a nurse interrupted their moment.

“Hi is it alright if I speak to Miss Taylor alone? Just check up stuff you know.”

“Uh sure.”

Lucas kissed her hand.

“I’ll go get a sandwich from the vending machine.”

The nurse sat down beside Belle.

“How are you feeling?”

“Not great I feel kind of woozy, can I come off the fluids?”

“That’s what I’m hear to talk to you about.”

Belle frowned.

“Okay.”

“See I know you couldn’t have been aware of this but you became pregnant a few days before the tsunami and of course being in a coma no one knew until we started finding signs of it. We did an ultrasound to be sure and found a second heartbeat. No one else knows though don’t worry we wanted to tell you privately if you woke up in time.”

“Oh my god.”

“Yeah it’s a lot to take in but that’s why we have to keep the fluids, we have to keep you both healthy, the wooziness may just be another symptom you’ll have to deal with.”

“Oh no.”

Belle threw up beside the bed all over the nurse’s shoes.

“Sorry.”

“It’s okay.”

Belle sighed.

“I just can’t be, not now.”

The nurse sat down on her bed and held her hand, ready to be a sympathetic ear.

So disaster over but the drama isn't it! More Maddy and Ric next chapter. Will Belle keep the baby? Who knows!

I loved the stuff where Belle was in limbo! Kinda supernatural, but totally believable at the same time...I can just picture Amanda being a holiday rep. for heaven! :P

Ooohh...Belle's pregnant...I wonder who the daddy is?

I can't wait for the next post, Ali! :D

The truth was, Belle had prepared herself for getting pregnant ever since she was fourteen, she had too many one night stands and drunken flings not to mess it up somehow along the way. She always knew she’d have an abortion but she didn’t consider the one time she would get pregnant was in a stable relationship with a guy she loved and they had been using protection. It was bitterly ironic.

The nurse smiled warmly.

“Pregnancy is hard in any situation, especially after what just happened to you but if your family is anything to go by you are very lucky, your boyfriend was in here everyday and so was your mum.”

“My mum?”

“Irene is it?”

“Oh she’s not my mum.”

“Sorry.”

“Don’t be, I love her like a mum so it’s an easy mistake.”

“If you need anything or want to talk, just ring the bell and I’ll pop in.”

“Thankyou, so I can go home at the end of today right?”

“Sure but you’ll have to drink twice your normal intake of water and iron tablets to keep your strength up.”

“Cool.”

Belle still felt sick but she tried to remain calm.

“I have to give you some leaflets about your pregnancy too because it’s higher risk than normal as you have been in a coma, so regardless of whether you keep it or not you need to look after yourself.”

“Sure.”

Belle sat in a daze for several minutes, she had only just gotten over the fact a month of her life had gone by in a flash and now she had to take in that she was pregnant the entire time.

Lucas and Irene entered the room again.

“What was that all about?”

“Oh she just wanted to let me know about taking care of myself.”

“Well I’ll be doing all of that so don’t worry.”

A few hours later and Belle was back home, she found it hard walking at first like she had forgotten how to use her legs after so long but after awhile she was fine.

“I can’t believe it’s february now it’s so bizarre.”

“I know I have really missed you-”

He kissed her on the head.

“-and another part of me has missed you too.”

He kissed her neck and Belle laughed.

“Mr. Holden I think you should watch your mouth.”

She marvelled out how gradually yet how obviously Lucas had changed since he had been with Belle, he wasn’t the innocent, conventional gentlemen he used to be. Sure he was still chivalrous and respectful but he wasn’t shy about asserting himself either and things didn’t shock him anymore.

That night Belle lay in bed upstairs with Lucas thinking about how devastated the town looked and the first floor of Irene’s house was unorganisable with the furniture gone and branches and mud taking it’s place. It was hard enough getting past the debris to the stairs so Belle decided the next week would be used to repair Irene’s house and procrastinate about what she would do with her baby.

She wasn’t sure how she was going to tell Luke about it, it seemed her life moved from one drama to the next. She didn’t want to be a mother, not yet anyway but she had to discuss the options with Lucas before anything was decided.

“We have to visit Aurora!”

Maddy brushed Willow’s hair up into a ponytail, the schools were shut so Willow was home indefinitely.

“Who?”

“Belle!”

“Why did you call her Aurora?”

“Because she’s the princess from sleeping beauty, she fell into a deep sleep for ages by an evil witch and one kiss from prince Lucas and she awoke and everything was alright again.”

Maddy smiled.

“I’m not quite sure that’s how it went but we will definitely visit her once things calm down.”

“No we have to visit her today or she’ll think we have forgotten about her!”

“Of course she wont think that, she knows we care and I’ll give her a call today in case okay?”

“Okay.”

Maddy and Ric had managed to repair and tidy their house relatively quickly with them both working at it, they had ordered new furniture so what they had left was minimal but their place was in a lot better shape than could be said for other homes. They had ripped all the damp wallpaper down and decided to paint instead of repaper the walls and the carpet that been ripped out which they thought would be better replaced with wood. It was a chance for them to update their home to what they had wanted in the first place now Willow was older and not so clumsy.

Maddy and Willow were watching TV when Ric came home.

“It’s so lucky we can actually live in our house, so many people are cramped up in hotels with no privacy.”

“That does sound harsh at least we are in our house so we can fix it faster.”

“I know, I heard Belle was awake too which is some good news.”

“Yeah it was surprising recovery.”

“That’s Belle for you.”

“Dad when is grandma picking me up?”

“She said around noon so not to long honey.”

Beth had being playing babysitter for lots of the bay’s kids since she was still recovering from surgery she couldn’t help with much of the towns repairs which annoyed her so she opened her living room as her own play school so parents could work more efficiently without their kids in tow.

“Darling why don’t you get together your day pack to take to grandmas?”

“Okay!”

Just as Maddy was about to get some alone time with her husband for the first time in weeks the phone rang resulting in a groan from them both.

“Hello?”

“Hey it’s Belle.”

“Hi! I’m so glad you are okay, It’s good to hear your voice.”

“You too, if you could thank Ric for me after all he saved my life. I intend to send you around a big bottle of wine and lots of chocolates too, although I’m not sure how you can ever repay someone who gave you life again.”

“Good point but chocolates and wine will be payment enough believe me. So hows things back in the land of the living?”

“Not great.”

“Yeah I bet.”

“Maddy I’m pregnant.”

Henry was busy helping Tony fix a window at Beth’s when Lucas came back with supplies, he couldn’t stop grinning.

Henry frowned.

“What’s with you? You already get laid?”

Lucas frowned but ignored the vulgar comment.

“Nothing I’m just happy Belle is okay.”

Henry nodded, it was hard to keep up being rude and insensitive when he really wasn't anymore.

“It was touch and go for a while ay.”

“The truth is I was scared if she woke up she’d have amnesia or something and not remember our relationship, I felt so guilty to think I’d rather she didn’t wake up than us not be together when she did. It’s obsessive and selfish but it had crossed my mind.”

“Yeah well love is obsessive and selfish.”

“It’s not supposed to be I mean remember the Corinthians extract of the bible about how love is patient and kind and doesn’t act inappropriately.”

“Okay for a start you were patient and secondly the bible is a little outdated for dishing out relationship advice, I mean I’m pretty sure love has evolved over the last few thousand years.”

“Yeah but not for the better.”

“How do you know the bible wasn’t sugar coating or idealising love just to set a moral standard like it does with everything else, the world is a lot harsher than back then it’s not surprisingly love is selfish now, it’s practically a survival instinct.”

“I guess.”

“If you are that broken up about it why don’t you tell Belle your ‘evil’ thoughts and get it off your chest. She may even feel the same way if it was you in that hospital bed.”

“Yeah maybe thanks.”

Tony sighed.

“Wonderful heart to heart boys but why don’t you quit yammering and start making yourselves useful with these windows!”

Both guys looked a little embarrassed but did as they were told.

“Wow that’s some pretty big news.”

Belle sighed.

“I know I’ve been getting used to that lately. Yesterday I wasn’t even awake and now I’m conscious and pregnant.”

“What are you going to do? I can kind of emphasis with your situation I guess that’s why you called.”

“Well sort of but also you’re my best friend in the bay, I mean Lucas is my best friend too but it’s complicated by the fact he’s also the father and Irene would be supportive but I'd have to live with her day in day out knowing she knows. It’s not like you were chosen last, you just simply are the best choice.”

“For advice?”

“Yeah and to tell me what to do.”

“Well I can’t do that it’s your life, but I would say talking to Lucas would be a good idea no matter what you choose.”

“I can’t.”

“Why?”

“I know he’ll want to keep it, he’s seen what a great family you and Ric have made and he loves Willow to death and is total dad material.”

“He’ll support you whatever though and it's not like he can't have kids later on.”

“I know but I can’t break his heart like that, I know him, even if he says it’s cool and is wonderful about it I’ll know he’ll be crushed and our relationship wouldn’t be the same after that.”

“I think you may be right but don’t let that force you into keeping it if it’s not what you want.”

“I wont, no one has ever made me do anything I didn’t want but now I don’t even know if I don’t want it! I thought you’d be pro-baby considering your choice.”

“It was the hardest decision ever though, I mean I was younger but our situations are still similar. I’ve had to sacrifice a lot but I’ve gained a lot too. I gave up a solid career maybe for good, my education, any chance of travelling overseas for a long time and there is no such thing as spontaneity anymore but then again I have a great little person that me and Ric made, I have never been prouder or happier but sometimes I miss what could have been.”

“Wow.”

“Yeah I know, all I can say is whatever you decide there’ll be sacrifices and regrets but it’s the indecision that’s the worst part of all.”

“I can get that. Can you not tell anyone about this though?”

“Of course not, it’s not mine to tell.”

"Thank you."

Belle hung up and sighed, talking to others about it made it so much more real and heavy, she couldn't sweet talk or escape her way out of this situation and it was her problem alone. She stayed at home all day sweeping out dirt and Rubble and removing tree branches from the kitchen. It was a big job but at least she was distracted like she had wanted.

The phone rang a bit after four.

"Hi is Miss Taylor there please?"

"Yep that's me, what can I do for ya?"

"I'm from the Yabbie Creek Tribune and I'd love to get an interview with you to talk over your ordeal and heroic efforts before the tsunami."

Belle was used to this by now, there were reporters around most days interviewing residents or just reporting to the curious Australian population, after all it was a devestating event and coverage of it was expected if not wholly welcome with the inconvenience to the recovery effort. Ten people had died in the tsunami as well as numerous pets but most were from surrounding areas of the bay but it was the only thing that motivated people like Alf to talk to the public about it, he wanted to pay tribute to those who lost their lives.

"Um well Im kind of busy."

"It's just we know Ms Roberts refused to let you go on air about your ordeal so we thought a newspaper interview might be less intrusive."

Belle had been told by an irate Irene how news cameras had tried to film and photograph her while in her coma and the destraught Irene had almost beaten them up to get them to leave.

"Well I'm not sure you'd get anything juicy."

"You are part of the reason the death toll has remained so remarkably low, it was you who somehow sensed the imminent danger and convinced people to get on the roof though isn't it?"

"Well yes but I'm sure they would have thought of that themselves when they saw the wave."

"Even so you saved a young man Bailey Grove's life risking your own to get him to safety right?"

"Uh yes, is this on the record?"

"Of course not, not yet anyway but if we could have a sit down I would love to question you further."

"I think maybe in a few weeks when things settle down."

"We would reward you generously after all we can sell your story overseas. The world loves a hero."

"Financially you mean?"

"Uh huh, tempting right?"

"Well money I have, but I'll do it if you contribute the money to the aid effort here in Summer Bay."

"Of course and that only helps the story and paints a portrait of your almost saintly attitude to things."

Belle scoffed.

"Okay whatever, when do you want to do it?"

"I can be at yours within the hour."

"Oh well that's fast."

"News waits for no one!"

"Fine you can come here and we'll sit outside where there is less damage because I still have heaps to do and I am not going all the way to Yabbie Creek."

"Of course anything."

"Bye."

Will Belle's interview be more revealing than she had hoped for? Also Henry and Cassie depart next chapter!

Archived