Political correctness

Guest Cal

In a primary school in Britain, The teachers have edited the words of the familiar nursery rhyme from 'Baa Baa Black Sheep', to 'Baa Baa, Rainbow Sheep', because it might 'offend' others.

This gone way too far!

Do you think so too?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup, I think PC-ness has gone way too far. Some schools refer to a blackboard as a 'chalk board'. Talking of rhymes and songs, did anyone used to sing the Kookaburra song at school?

"Laugh lookaburra, laugh kookaburra,

Gay your life must be"

Well, my friend's kids have been taught it as "Fun your life must be". :unsure:

One of my mates is a fan of old kids shows like Bod, Trumpton, Camberwick Green, etc. I watched a few episodes with him recently and commented that these days they'd probably have to have a token Asian character, token black person, token limp-wristed man, etc etc. How ridiculous!

Some schools have banned popular children's classics like The Famous Five and The Secret Seven because all the kids are white, and some of the boys are too boyish and some of the the girls too girly! Hell's bells.. :rolleyes:

This just made me sick.

In one school in England,. they have decided that it is wrong to educate girls to be girls and boys to be boys. This is so that they can change their sexuality at a later time, and have no been told that they are what they are.

Also, Wouldn't "Baa Baa Rainbow Sheep" offend some gay people?

It's absolutely ludicrous. The funniest thing I think I've read about it is "The Fat Controller" in Thomas the Tank Engine having to become "Sir Toppum Hat" so as not to offend!

Si, I think the Kookaburra song is more to do with a change of vocabulary than anything. Not many people immediatly associate "gay" with "happy" anymore.

I find with TV shows these days, I watch them and can immediatly spot the token multiculturalism - its most evident in adverts most of the time.

I too am a fan of kids TV, but today's shows are too "safe" and manufactured. I don't like racism, but at the same time I don't like tokenalism, and I think there's far too much of that these days.

Oh yes, I heard about that from my English teacher! Most people still refer to them as brain storms regardless though! And until an epileptic genuinely tells me they find it offensive, I will continue to use the term.

They aren't allowed to use the term 'brainstorm' in schools anymore in case in offends epileptic people. They have to call it a 'thought shower' instead.

I can just imagine people saying, "I'm having a thought shower".

It's plain stupid!

In a primary school in Britain, The teachers have edited the words of the familiar nursery rhyme from 'Baa Baa Black Sheep', to 'Baa Baa, Rainbow Sheep', because it might 'offend' others.

This gone way too far!

Do you think so too?

yeah, i do.

Archived