Political correctness

Guest Cal

They aren't allowed to use the term 'brainstorm' in schools anymore in case in offends epileptic people. They have to call it a 'thought shower' instead.

I can just imagine people saying, "I'm having a thought shower".

It's plain stupid!

"thought shower" lol.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those so-called 'corrections' make the rhymes etc. more offensive by pointing out a perfectly innocent 'fault'. Yeah I'd say it's gone too far. Good topic btw!

I totally agree with everything you just said. Surely no one actually believed that Baa Baa Black Sheep is being racist! its ridiculous!

I completely agree with what has been said, apart from the thing about brainstorms. The thing is, that is actually a medical term, but is now out of date and is a little offensive. Another, although much worse, example would be spastic. While most people would never associate the word brainstorm with epliepsy, it is probably a little insensitive to use it in a classroom environment. Maybe it is over-sensitive, but I don't think society loses much if we no longer use the word. In my school they started to call them mind maps, not thought showers.

But changing the words of songs is just plain ridiculous. The fact that the sheep is black is not racism.

I also hate tokenism. Does anyone remember the SATS and even GCSE science papers - "Sarah and Anil do an experiment....etc". It was completely obvious what they were doing, and actually I think tokenism is much more offensive than not having any minority characters at all.

ETA: I am not epileptic, but I work with SEN children. A lot of them have epilepsy.

I completely agree with what has been said, apart from the thing about brainstorms. The thing is, that is actually a medical term, but is now out of date and is a little offensive. Another, although much worse, example would be spastic. While most people would never associate the word brainstorm with epliepsy, it is probably a little insensitive to use it in a classroom environment. Maybe it is over-sensitive, but I don't think society loses much if we no longer use the word. In my school they started to call them mind maps, not thought showers.

But changing the words of songs is just plain ridiculous. The fact that the sheep is black is not racism.

I also hate tokenism. Does anyone remember the SATS and even GCSE science papers - "Sarah and Anil do an experiment....etc". It was completely obvious what they were doing, and actually I think tokenism is much more offensive than not having any minority characters at all.

ETA: I am not epileptic, but I work with SEN children. A lot of them have epilepsy.

Grrrr! Considering the amount of, unnecessary, policitical correctness in the world today, the use of that word ('spastic') in the English language today really, really, really annoys me! I don't think people realise how offensive it is...well, I hope they don't, otherwise there are a lot of cruel people in the world. I don't really know what I can say about it without getting really annoyed and wound up, so I think I'll just shut up now LOL :P But yes, I am, mildly, disabled and my friends (disabled and able-bodied) find that such an offensive term. That and 'retarded'.....but that's another story :)

Grrrr! Considering the amount of, unnecessary, policitical correctness in the world today, the use of that word ('spastic') in the English language today really, really, really annoys me! I don't think people realise how offensive it is...well, I hope they don't, otherwise there are a lot of cruel people in the world. I don't really know what I can say about it without getting really annoyed and wound up, so I think I'll just shut up now LOL :P But yes, I am, mildly, disabled and my friends (disabled and able-bodied) find that such an offensive term. That and 'retarded'.....but that's another story :)

Yes I agree with you both those two terms are so disrespectful.

Now, I don't want to get lynched for saying this - I don't often express myself very clearly, so there may be some confusion. And before I start, I must point out that I'm not a member of the BNP.

However, this tokenism could pushed to the extreme. People are so concerned with getting in black, chinese, indian, gay, lesbian and social groups into the media and everyday life, that they are in danger of sidelining caucasian people. After all, we MUST have Sarah and Anil do the experiment rather that Susie and Bill for example. I mean, who's to say Sarah isn't a chinese lesbian? The other thing that bugs me is, if a black person stands up and says they are proud to be black, everyone contragulates on them being empowered and proud. If a white person stands up and says they are proud to be white - they are labelled racist.

I'm not sure I've put my thoughts across in the best way, so if anyone does have issue with them then do point out to me if I'm sounding a little insensitive. I don't mean to be, I'm deeply in favour of breaking down such boundaries as race, sexuality, class etc. and having everyone treated the same.

And now I'm rambling, so I'll be quiet.

Yup, political correctness has gone way too far and white supremacy isn't as sinister as you would think. It's not about eliminating other races, it's about preserving the white race, but the press surrounding it is incredibly biased due to newspaper editors attempting to be politically correct.

I'm not particularly bothered about preserving the white race myself, I'd like all races to mix so that, in an ideal world of course, racism would be diminshed. I understand this is probably never going to happen, but hey, I can dream :)

Archived