We Belong Together

Guest Jackieleanne

Thanks for the feedback everyone sorry if it sucks its just a filler chapter and I had major writing block on this chapter and just wanted to get something out. Not so long left to go now about ten chapters.

Chapter 51

“Come on babe we have to go home now” Lucas says softly putting his hand on my shoulder as I look down at our babies the next night - we had transferred to Yabbie Creek that morning and would now have to leave the babies in hospital when we returned home. I couldn’t stay in hospital but I didn’t want to leave our babies. What if something goes wrong while we aren’t here? I want to stay with them I want to be able to hold them.

“I don’t want to leave” I say softly, closing my eyes.

“I know you don’t baby. I don’t want to leave either but we have to. We can return first thing in the morning I promise” Lucas says as he wraps his arms around me.

“Sweet dreams angels” I whisper softly looking down at Dylan, Chloe and Katie lovingly, longing to hold them. I take hold of Lucas hand, walking away reluctantly as we walked out to the car where Mum and Dad waited for us.

“I can’t wait to bring them home” Lucas says softly as he comes and stands behind me as I stood in the nursery.

“I know me neither. It might be hard but I think we can do it Lucas. I love them so much already, I really wish we didn’t have to leave them there alone” I said softly.

“I know babe, but hopefully they should be better next week and we can bring them home” he tells me as he pulls me closer to him.

“I just want to hold them” I say tears starting to fall from my eyes.

“I know you do baby and the doctor said that we should be able to soon” he says taking his finger to my face and wiping my tears away,

“I love you” I say kissing him softly.

“I love you too” Lucas says softly as we break apart.

The next day I held Lucas hand as we walked hand in hand to the special care baby unit of the hospital. As soon as we had woken up we got dressed and headed straight down here, neither of us wanting to stay away from our babies any longer. We head over to their incubators where we see the nurse stood by Dylan’s crib.

“How are they?” I ask her.

“They are doing much better - they had a good night. Would you like to hold them?” she asks us.

“Really?” I squeal, unable to hide my excitement at the thought of being able to hold our babies for the first time. I had been longing to hold them and now I would finally be able to. We sat down in the two chairs by the cribs, she took Dylan out of his crib. He was so tiny. She slowly laid him down in my arms and made sure I was holding him correctly before moving back to the cribs. I looked down at my son in my arms he was so much like his Dad already, the only difference was that he had my brown hair, he would be such a heartbreaker at school with his Dad’s gorgeous looks. I look round to see Lucas cooing down at our daughters as he holds them in his arms, they both looked so much like me but had their Dad’s sandy blonde hair. I can’t wait to take them home and show them off to everyone but it’s definitely going to be a handful.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 52

“Can you believe that we are finally getting to bring them home?” I say to Lucas a week later as we pull up the driveway to our house.

“I know its great, welcome home babies” Lucas says softly turning around to face the back where Dylan, Chloe and Katie lay asleep in their carriers.

“Corny Luc” I say laughing softly not wanting to wake them.

“I know but you love me” he says softly leaning in closer to me and kissing me softly on the lips.

“Come on lets get them up to the nursery and into bed” I say as I pull away from him. I climb out of the car and open the back door. I reach out and take Katie’s carrier from the car heading to the front door waiting for Lucas as he takes Dylan’s and Chloe’s carriers before locking the car door and making his way to the house.

“Surprise!” everyone screams as we open the door, oh my god I can’t believe they’ve done all of this for us.

“Shhh the little ones are sleeping” Lucas says softly as we walk through the door.

“Ohhh give him to his granddad” Tony says taking Dylan from his carrier as he starts to stir. I laugh softly watching Dad coo over his grandchild trying to get him to quieten down.

“Oh look at them, aren’t they adorable, the spitting image of their mother” Martha says as her and Jack walk over to me and Lucas where we stood with the girls in their carriers.

“I know aren’t they just, beautiful just like their Mummy” Lucas says.

“Stop it Lucas, they’ve got your hair though” I say laughing. “Ohhh baby, shhh don’t cry” I say softly taking Katie from her carrier as she starts to whimper. I rock her gently in my arms trying to stop her crying as Lucas takes Chloe from her carrier and holds her in his arm smiling down at her.

“Matilda I think someone needs their mummy” Tony says walking over to me as I try to settle Katie. I look down to see Dylan sucking Tony’s thumb.

“Ummm right how can we do this” I say wondering how me and Tony can swap the babies over carefully.

“Here” Martha says taking Katie from me so that Tony can place Dylan in my arms, he snuggles into me as I start to walk off towards the stairs.

“Where you going babe?” Lucas asks me as he shows Chloe off to Ric and Cassie.

“Your Dad said he needed feeding” I say as I make my way past him.

“OK do you need any help?” Lucas says laughing.

“Lucas” I hear Cassie groan as I make my way up the stairs with Dylan.

“Wow its been a long day” Lucas sighs laying down beside me in bed once we had finally managed to get Chloe asleep.

“I know tell me about it, how are we going to manage?” I say.

“I don’t know baby but we can do it” Lucas says.

“Yeah” I say sighing, knowing that from Monday Lucas would be back at University and sitting his exams and I’d have to manage on my own during the day. At least he would be around at night to help, just as I’m about to fall asleep I hear Katie start to cry.

“I’ll get her” I say climbing out of bed.

“You sure?” Lucas says.

“Yeah, she will only need feeding anyway” I say as I make my way out of our bedroom and to the nursery.

Chapter 53

Two weeks had passed since me and Lucas had brought Dylan, Chloe and Katie home. It was such hard work. I would be up all night and day, only managing to get one or two hours of sleep a day. As soon as I would get one of them off to sleep the other two would wake up wanting feeding. I was physically and emotionally exhausted, unable to find a minute for myself, totally forgetting about myself as I ran around after the triplets but I wouldn’t have it any other way. I love them to bits but I needed help. And well Lucas, he isn’t helping me one bit at the moment. Yeah sure, he will spend times with the kids once he’s home from university, but he’s not having to look after them all day and all night, he doesn’t have to feed them and wake up at all hours at the night. He was concentrating on his exams. Sure I want him to do well, but it would be nice for him to help me out a little and well, I don’t think he’s even noticed me since we got home. I climbed into bed and sighed as I looked at the clock, 4am already and I had only managed to get 30 minutes sleep so far. I lifted the cover over me snuggling under it as Lucas tried to wrap his arms around me subconsciously in his sleep but a second later Dylan’s screams broke the silence. I groan as I swing my legs out of bed and stand up slowly.

“Can’t you do something, I got exams tomorrow babe” Lucas groans. I can tell by the tone in his voice that he is annoyed at being woken up but how the hell does he think I’m bloody feeling. I’ve not had an ounce of sleep in two bloody weeks. Not wanting to get into an argument right now I storm out the room slamming the door shut as I rush into the nursery trying to get to Dylan’s crib before he woke up his sisters.

“Shh Dyl its ok now Mummy’s here” I whisper softly as I hold him closer to me. Sitting down in the rocking chair I lift my pyjama vest up as I take him to my breast ready for another feed.

Two hours later I was finally finished as I put Chloe down in her crib. As soon as I had got Dylan to sleep Katie had woken up and once I fed her Chloe decided she was hungry, it had been like this non stop for the past two weeks. My whole life resolved around nappy changing, feeding and washing. I sat down in the rocking chair sighing as I closed my eyes. I wasn’t going back to bed. I couldn’t be next to Lucas right now I was far too upset with him. He did he not even notice what everything was doing to me. Obviously not because it was like I didn’t even exist anymore. I felt my eyes droop as I let the sleep overcome me.

I awake to the sound of knocking. I rub my neck and sigh as I realise where I slept last night. I look at the clock and realise that it is 10am. Dylan, Chloe and Katie were all still asleep, if only I hadn’t been awoken by the door. As I stood up and made my way to the door it hit me that Lucas mustn’t have even realised that I was gone last night. Was that how much I had become to him?

“Hey Mattie” Cassie says cheerfully as she comes in.

“Hey” I sigh.

“Nice to meet you too, Mattie are you OK? You don’t look too great” she says softly.

“Oh gee thanks that’s nice of you” I groan as I slump down on the couch just as Katie’s cries filled the room. Ugh I sigh, throwing my head back before picking myself up and running up stairs to the nursery.

Cassie’s P.O.V

“Mattie let me take her, you need a minute” I say softly as I walk into the nursery behind her. She was clearly unwell, she had huge bags under her eyes and she had lost pretty much all of her baby weight, she didn’t look well at all.

“It’s OK Cass” she says softly as she takes Katie in her arms.

“No Mattie let me take her, I’ll change her for you. Tell me Mattie, when was the last time you got a decent nights sleep, when was the last time you made yourself a proper meal?” I ask. Her shoulders drop and tears come to her eyes.

“I can’t even remember” she says softly as she hands Katie over to me. “All I seem to do anymore is feed, change and wash and well Lucas, he doesn’t even notice me anymore Cass he doesn’t get up in the middle of the nights to do the feeds and he has the nerve to tell me to do something about it because he needs to sleep because of his exams” she cries breaking down into tears on the floor. I hated seeing her like this. I finished changing Katie’s nappy and then took my phone out to ring Beth. Mattie clearly needed help right now.

Matilda’s P.O.V

“Come home with me Matilda, you clearly need space right now and you are obviously not getting that here. You are making yourself sick Matilda, you need to eat and sleep you have totally forgotten about yourself because everything you do is for the babies. You need help Matilda and I can’t believe Lucas hasn’t seen that” Mum says softly putting her hand on my shoulder.

“He doesn’t even notice me Mum” I cried breaking down once more.

“Come on let’s get you and the babies back to their grandma’s house so that their Mum can get some proper rest” Mum says helping me up.

“Is it OK if we stay the night Mum? I can’t be around Lucas right now and I doubt he will even notice I’m gone, he will probably be glad to have the peace and quiet” I sigh.

Chapter 54

“Sweetie get yourself off to bed you look really tired” mum tells me as I put my plate in the sink after dinner,

“What if they need feeding mum” I sigh

“Nonsense love we got some formulae now go get in bed and get some rest you’re making yourself ill” Tony says as he and mum coo over the triplets,

“thanks” I say walking over to the front door to make my way to mine and Lucas old room,

“good night love” they both say as I shut the door.

I sigh as I climb into my old bed shutting my eyes, the room hadn’t changed at all from how me and Lucas left it reminded me so much of him, who would of thought that when we still lived here only a year ago that we would be married with three kids, I longed to touch him for him to hold me and look at me the same way he used to but he doesn’t even notice me anymore.

Lucas P.O.V

“Matilda” I shout walking into the house that night when I noticed that her or the kids weren’t in the living room, when I got no answer I made my way upstairs she must be in the nursery, when I notice that her or the babies aren’t in the nursery I sigh she must of taken them for a walk, oh well I’ll be able to see them soon. I made my way downstairs again and sat in front of the TV it was good to have my exams over with now I could concentrate on spending time with my wife and kids and finding myself a full time job.

“Where is she” I groan to myself when I notice that I have been home for three hours and still not heard from her, I was starting to get worried it wasn’t like Matilda to be out so long without letting me know where she was, I took out my mobile, pressing speed dial 1 but it went straight to message bank, damn Matilda where are you? I decided to ring dad see if he had seen her, “Dad have you heard from Matilda her and the babies are missing” I spat out quickly panicking as to whereabouts my wife and kids where,

“Calm down Lucas they are here, its about time you noticed though what have you let Matilda do to herself she’s completely run down son, have you seen the state of her she’s not well” dad says, his words hit me like a knife as I realise that I had failed to notice what was going on with her, I’d been to caught up with my studies to even notice her, what kind of husband was I

“I’ll be right over” I say hanging up my phone as I grab my car keys and shoes before heading out the door.

I enter dad’s house to see dad, mum and Henry each feeding one of the triplets I look over at my children smiling,

“Where’s Matilda?” I ask softly,

“She’s in your old room sleeping, she’s completely worn out son it looks like she hasn’t slept in weeks or eaten for that matter” dad says I walk out of the room closing the door quietly as I make my way into my old room.

“Oh Matilda what have I let you do to yourself” I whisper softly as I see her curled up in a ball fast asleep on the bed, I make my way over to her and sit on the edge of the bed beside her I study her carefully dad was right she looked completely exhausted I lifted the quilt up and studied her body I can’t believe I let her get like this, she has run herself down so much that she has nearly lost all her baby weight and its only been three weeks god I have so much to make up to her but I don’t want to wake her now, I take off my shows and lye in bed beside her wrapping my arms around her she instantly snuggles closer to me it felt so good to hold her in my arms again.

Thankyou to Jess(Jeh-Jeh) my wonderful proof reader and to everyone for the wonderful feedback, sadly it has to come to an end, but don't worry a sequel is on its way.

Chapter 55

“Morning beautiful” I hear Lucas’ voice as I open my eyes. I look up and see him staring down at me. “I’m so sorry for everything baby, I didn’t mean to neglect you” he says moving his hand up to my face. It’s then that I realised that we were in our old room.

“God how long have I slept? They’ll need feeding” I say swinging my legs over the side of the bed, only to be pulled back by Lucas.

“No, you’re staying here with me now. They are in the house with their grandparents and I fed them earlier so don’t worry about a thing. You need to relax and I’m going to make sure from now on that you look after yourself” he says as he wraps his arms around me. I lean back against him, sighing.

“I love you Lucas” I sigh.

“I love you too Mrs. Holden” he says. I feel his lips on my neck as he starts to kiss it softly.

“Are you sure you are fine with looking after them? We can take them home if it’s not OK” I say to Mum as I kiss Chloe before handing her over to Dad.

“Yes we are sure sweets. Now go and enjoy a nice night with your husband” she says laughing as she tickles Dylan.

“OK thanks Mum” I say smiling as I begin to walk towards the kids again to kiss them goodbye once more as Lucas follows me.

“God you two, you’ll never get home! They’re fine, now go enjoy this time to yourselves” Dad says as he lays Chloe down next to her sister.

“Lucas what are you doing?” I giggle as he lifts me up into his arms as we walk through the front door.

“Well, I’m doing the proper thing and taking my wife up to the bedroom so that I can apologise to her for neglecting her and concentrate on making things up to her and showing her how much I love her” he says as he carries me towards the stairs.

“You can put me down you know. I’ll still come upstairs with you” I laugh.

“No I want to be a gentleman” he says as he makes his way upstairs with me still in his arms.

“I guess I’ll just enjoy myself then while I can, it looks like I’m going to be spoiled” I say grinning at him.

“Oh you are definitely getting spoiled tonight Mrs Holden” he says seductively as he lays me down on our bed.

“Mmm…I’m looking forward to it Mr Holden” I whisper pulling him down on top of me and kissing him passionately.

“You’re amazing you know that” Lucas whispers to me as I lay in his arms two hours later.

“You’re amazing too. I’m glad that we made up I needed that” I say sighing as I rest my head on his chest.

“I needed it too, I love you so much. We belong together, you know that?” he says softly as he runs his hand over my bare stomach and I know he is right. I don’t know what I’d do without him. He’s my husband, my best friend and the father to my children.

*~* The End *~*

comments

Archived