What is correct SPAG?

Guest MarMar

I've always had a way with language. Although I never felt like I learnt any French (had it at school from when I was 13-15), I still manage to read and understand simple French. I've always loved to read, and I started reading the Goosebumps-books when I was 10, after 2 years of learning English in School. You have to read and write to be able to develop any language skill... Keep working on those analysis! :D

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always had a way with language. Although I never felt like I learnt any French (had it at school from when I was 13-15), I still manage to read and understand simple French. I've always loved to read, and I started reading the Goosebumps-books when I was 10, after 2 years of learning English in School. You have to read and write to be able to develop any language skill... Keep working on those analysis! :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah my tutor said that if you read alot of books , newspapers it will increase your knowledge. I remember reading those Goose Bumps stories, I always used to love them and was addicted to them, Ive read all of the Goose Bumps series :P , by the time I was 12 years old. I used to love horror books and still do. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah my tutor said that if you read alot of books , newspapers it will increase your knowledge. I remember reading those Goose Bumps stories, I always used to love them and was addicted to them, Ive read all of the Goose Bumps series :P , by the time I was 12 years old. I used to love horror books and still do. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But it's true, though. In order to learn something you have to show motivation and interest for the subject. You can't learn something you're not interested in, as you won't spend enough time trying to understand it. The question is - are you interested because you're good at it, or are you good at it because you're interested?

Yes, you do have a point there Mercury Girl, I like science and I do spend alot of time revising and learning about it, and English Language does not seem to be one of my favourite subjects at the moment, I am better at english Literature though, I am like a B grade and a C grade at English Language. But I have realised that the subjects which I find most interesting happens to be the subject which I am most good at. But I guess, I should try an effort and try to make English language as fun as possible and maybe I can do well. :)

Go get the DVD! :D

I've never seen Firefly, but I hear it's amazing... If I'm ever looking for a new show, I'll watch it. Right now, keeping up with H&A, Lost, Desperate Housewives and Medium is enough.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mercury Girl Hi

I read your SPAG thread - because I thought it was pasta recipes :blink: - in keeping with the Spag standards, your signature should say "more stupid" not "stupider" LOL :wink::wink::wink:

I like Medium, Boston Legal, Third Watch and...I am ashamed to say because H&A suffers because of it ....the TENNIS!

Mercury Girl Hi

I read your SPAG thread - because I thought it was pasta recipes  :blink: - in keeping with the Spag standards, your signature should say "more stupid" not "stupider" LOL  :wink:  :wink:  :wink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lol, I know! It's a quote from www.bash.org, but yeah, thanks for pointing it out! :D *Goes off to fix*

EDIT: I looked it up in my trusted dictionary, and under stupid, it says adj. (stupider, stupidest) More stupid and most stupid is also common.

Mercury Girl Hi

I read your SPAG thread - because I thought it was pasta recipes   - in keeping with the Spag standards, your signature should say "more stupid" not "stupider" LOL 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lol, I know! It's a quote from www.bash.org, but yeah, thanks for pointing it out! :D *Goes off to fix*

EDIT: I looked it up in my trusted dictionary, and under stupid, it says adj. (stupider, stupidest) More stupid and most stupid is also common.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

EEEEEEK.....is it an American dictionary??? They tend to dumb down the language to the lowest level. And speaking of grammar ( were we??) do you realise that we ALL now in politically correct fashion - write adjectives of country with a capital letter...eg, French, American, Aboriginal, English. Technically only a proper noun should have a capital letter - and when I went to school ( with my slate and chalk for writing... :rolleyes: ) it was, correctly, french, american, aboriginal, english because they were adjectives. capitals were only used in cases such as "he is an American"

here endeth the pedantry ( and I hope no-one here thinks that has something to do with child abuse....hehehe)

Mercury Girl Hi

I read your SPAG thread - because I thought it was pasta recipes  - in keeping with the Spag standards, your signature should say "more stupid" not "stupider" LOL

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

EEEEEEK.....is it an American dictionary??? They tend to dumb down the language to the lowest level. And speaking of grammar ( were we??) do you realise that we ALL now in politically correct fashion - write adjectives of country with a capital letter...eg, French, American, Aboriginal, English. Technically only a proper noun should have a capital letter - and when I went to school ( with my slate and chalk for writing... :rolleyes: ) it was, correctly, french, american, aboriginal, english because they were adjectives. capitals were only used in cases such as "he is an American"

here endeth the pedantry ( and I hope no-one here thinks that has something to do with child abuse....hehehe)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's the Oxford Advanced Learner's dictionary... :P, but yes, it contains both RP and GA.

Thanks for that input about adjectives of countries - I did not know that! (I, as always, blame my un-nativeness :P)

Now, back on topic! (I think... :P)

EDIT: Moved these from the Lost-theory thread to this thread, as they are more suited here.

• 2 weeks later...

If the users of the forum put in what country they come from, and if it is a country that doesn't speak english as a first language, then the moderators need to be a bit easier. In saying that I mean for example their and there, some people with another language as their first are not going to know which one to use. That is just an example as I have seen the post with both of the meanings. But with other words that can be spelt two ways and have kinda different meanings, wil be difficult for some people that don't use english as their first lanuage. I have also noticed, n the old board how people used alot and I remember being taught that it isn't one word. Ryan and I had a argument over this but in relation with txt being used, I personally believe that txt needs to be spelt fullt (text) as that is a shortened word.

Archived