Characters who move overseas where do they go after their visas run out ?.

j.laur5

So many characters have moved overseas instead of simply just moving to Sydney.

As their visas would run out I'd say most of them are either back living in Sydney or go to live in another state.

But I think it's funny how whenever they move overseas they never say what they are going to do once their visas run out. Everyone knows your visa runs out after two years or so.

So far only Roo and Marilyn have returned from living overseas and they were gone for over a decade.  

I don't really know how it all works so please correct me if I'm wrong cause actually interested but can't you extend visas or just  become a citizen cause how do Australian actors who move to America stay just cause actors doesn't mean they have the same rules right ? Actors was first example i thought of but must be many other people who stay living overseas

2 hours ago, j.laur5 said:

Talking more about based on characters rather then actors!.

The point was just using actors as an example, showing that people can obviously extend their visas or apply for citizenship because we see it in actors who move from Aus to Hollywood. So the same logic can be applied to the characters :)

9 hours ago, beau_t said:

The point was just using actors as an example, showing that people can obviously extend their visas or apply for citizenship because we see it in actors who move from Aus to Hollywood. So the same logic can be applied to the characters :)

exactly thank you

Immigration law is complex and visas aren't a "one size fits all". Every country has its own laws and its own different types of visas with varying lengths of stay. While most employment visas do expire after a couple of years, there may be options to extend, or routes to permanent residency. For example the US H-1B is an employment visa valid for three years, extendable to six years, and can lead to permanent residency (green card) and eventually citizenship if desired.

For those who are interested, have a look at the different types here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travel_visa#Types

That said, I'm not excusing the show's oversimplification of people upping and moving to another country with no prior thought and never being heard of again! The fact is that applying for long stay or immigrant visas is incredibly complex and time consuming, filling in forms, getting hold of required documents (police checks, proof of finances, medical, etc)... not to mention expensive! I have spent literally thousands of pounds over the years on immigration to the US and getting my citizenship, then the same in reverse for my wife on my return to the UK. I actually find it quite insulting when characters suddenly decide to move to the US and catch a flight in the space of an episode or two! Neighbours is particularly bad about this.

Archived