Nastiness Of Irene.

Guest zx50

I don't like the way we're supposed to accept this sort of stuff from Irene. I don't know about everyone else but that's the way it's presented to me anyway.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I call it being ungratefull really. Josie saved the town from being destroyed..and yet Irene is quite happy just to forget all about this. I just think Irene is a loud mouthed gobby bugger who starts shouting before she even knows what the situation was. She never even got told from the 2 people involved what happened..she just lashed out.

If she had lashed out at Scott..then I might have been okay with Irene lashing out at Josie. She just treated Scott like she normally would..whilst Josie felt the full force of her nastiness. Leah even said that Irene had been too harsh with her. It really does seem to me that Irene just waits for an excuse to start slagging off Josie. I just don't like her character at all now. Unless of course she apologises to Josie..and it has to be her own doing.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that Irene is just an 'act first, think later' kind of person. She's impulsive and fiery and sometimes that gets her into trouble. She has many flaws but she also has very good qualities. You might not like her at the moment, but I bet in the not too distant future she'll do something lovely and you'll find yourself warming to her again. That's what's great about her - she's a completely three-dimensional character. Let's face it, in real life you never love someone 100% of the time. There will be times when they annoy or upset you.

Well yes..there are times when people annot me in life..but not because of pure nastiness..or because someone is just waiting for an excuse to slagg someone off. It infuriates me as well when people aren't fair...using this as an example.

Irene has done some good things in the past..but I just wish she'd leave Josie alone. Hayley should have kept her big mouth shut as well. She should have taken her outside for a few words instead of letting everyone know about it. Scott even told Hayley that HE kissed Josie..and yet she STILL makes out like Josie was to blame for the incident. Oh I dunno...the whole thing just stinks of being unfair to me.

I don't like the way we're supposed to accept this sort of stuff from Irene. I don't know about everyone else but that's the way it's presented to me anyway.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I totally agree. And I can't really overlook it as just as example of Irene jumping-in-before-thinking-but-having-a-good-heart really. :P

What I think is, it's actually something that's arisen out of the new direction the show has taken this year. It's aimed more at the teenage audience - sometimes to the exclusion of the older viewers. Now although the success of that tactic is probably judged on viewing figures, I don't think that it encourages complexity in terms of how the characters interact. IMO, Irene acting like a bigoted biatch is actually just what happens when a much-loved character is over-simplified. I don't care for her these days.

I think the old Irene, if proven wrong about someone, would have had the guts to admit she was wrong. Not just avoided them until they did something that fitted in with her original viewpoint, so she could bitch at them again.

As much as i love Irene i can see her flaws and will critizise when justified.

poor Josie the only one copping the greif from Irene, excuse me it takes two to tango, i could'nt belive the fact she never gave Scott the same treatmente.g why the hell did you phone Hayley to tell her that, but no he gets a small speech from baz that she's been through a enough pressure and thats it.

...... I don't think that it encourages complexity in terms of how the characters interact. IMO, Irene acting like a bigoted biatch is actually just what happens when a much-loved character is over-simplified. I don't care for her these days.

I think the old Irene, if proven wrong about someone, would have had the guts to admit she was wrong. Not just avoided them until they did something that fitted in with her original viewpoint, so she could bitch at them again.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly!

I read an article recently where Daniel Bennett was being interviewed and he talked about being "true" to characters and not having them do or say anything which wasn't part of their essential make up. I had to laugh because he has over simplifed, and changed practically every character on the show since he arrived. I remember there were a lot of people who were always banging on about characterisation...and who don't seem to be around this place much these days.... but when I read that and thought about it I knew what they meant.

They are spoiling a lot of my favourite characters. I still love Irene though, she is till there at heart. I am a loyal soul, LOL, I just hope this is a temporay glitch and we get back to the Irene we all know and love. :D

I had to laugh because he has over simplifed, and changed practically every character on the show since he arrived. I remember there were a  lot of people who were always banging on about characterisation...and who  don't seem to be around this place much these days....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm guessing the two things are related. :P

See, if it was my favourite character this happened to, I'd be holding out for the light of the end at the tunnel too. I can sympathise.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeh guys s tell me if i'm wrong, would'nt Irene normally had a go at both Josie and Scott as both in a senence responsible.

After the macklin job was finished she was all nice to Josie in the diner.Tthe Irene i know would have appoligised to her then.

I think the point that someone else made about them not being able to explore all the character relationships in such a short space of time is pretty accurate. They probably overlooked the Irene/Josie thing after Josie saved the bay because it wasn't absolutely necessary to the story and they already had enough to fit in.

I also think (and hope!) we'll start to see the old Irene again after Chloe dies and she fights for custody of Olivia.

Archived