No. 1 Australian Drama

Guest lucaspatrick

Congrats to Home and Away. For the first time EVER, it has finished the ratings year as the No. 1 Australian Drama. And in a year where audience figures are down across the board, it is the ONLY Aus drama to have an audience increase from the previous year.

By contrast, Neighbours finished 125,000 down on last year.

1. McLeod's Daughters

2. Blue Heelers

3. Home and Away

4. All Saints

5. Neighbours

1. Home and Away

2. All Saints

3. McLeod's Daughters

4. Blue Heelers

5. Neighbours

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats good news. My apologies to all of the McLeod's fans, but I'm glad that Home and Away has managed to knock them off the top spot.

I was outraged the other day, when I saw a magazine advert where McLeod's Daughters claimed they were the #1 Australian Drama.

I reckon that Home and Away has a good chance of winning that category at the Logies in 06.

There are far more channels to choose from these days so unless its something really big its going to be rare for the viewing figures to be high. The numbers of people watching TV is about the same but they have a bigger choice. That's why networks go for a lot of cheap reality stuff as it gets standard viewing figures but is cheap to make and if they can sensationalise it, like they do with BB, they can make mega bucks from the advertising. Ten years ago viewing figures per programme were higher becase they only had a few channles to choose from. TV has been dumbed down by greater choice.

I dont think it will hold Number 1 myself. I think its had its moment this year and will slip back to 2nd or 3rd. I think All Saints is much better and is much better written as a drama.

As a sopa, and as mindless entertainment which i have on when cooking the tea it is doing well. lets not call it something it isnt. HAA is brilliant for what it is, a basic grade soap. High Drama it is not.

They need an award for best Melodrama at the logies, HAA would win that easily!

The only shows of those that I believe are shown here in the UK are Home & Away and Neighbours (obviously). I'm glad H&A is number 1, and though the British soaps over here are very popular, for some reason H&A does it for me everytime!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

McLeod's daughters shows on Hallmark channel in the UK, I'm not sure about Blue Heelers but i think All Saints has shown at one point or another

xx

1. Home and Away

2. All Saints

3. McLeod's Daughters

4. Blue Heelers

5. Neighbours

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you sure? From what I've seen Home and Away should be #2.

Because these are the figures I saw for 2005, released by Seven.

104 - McLeod's Daughters (Season Average) 9 1,345,242

105 - Home and Away (Season Average) 7 1,344,215

128 - All Saints (Season Average) 7 1,281,841

163 - Blue Heelers (Season Average) 7 1,204,946

And these, from the paper.

Top Drama Series

6. McLeod’s Daughters Nine 1.345

7. Home and Away Seven 1.345

9. All Saints Seven 1.282

14. Blue Heelers Seven 1.205

Top Rating Regular Australian Series

18. McLeod’s Daughters Nine 1.345

19. Home and Away Seven 1.345

29. All Saints Seven 1.282

37. Blue Heelers Seven 1.205

All put McLeod's Daughters before Home and Away.

Archived