Soapie's milestone

Guest jessica_r

Soapie's milestone

By Amy Fallon

AAP

June 21, 2005

POPULAR Aussie soapie Home and Away will celebrate its 4000th episode next month with a birthday, a wedding and a death.

To mark the milestone, the residents of Summer Bay will come together for a surprise 60th birthday party for the loveable Alf, played by the show's veteran actor Ray Meagher.

A number of favourites return for the celebration, including Pippa (Debra Lawrance) and Donald Fisher (Norman Coburn).

The Summer Bay folk will also celebrate the nuptials of Leah (Ada Nicodemou) and Dan (Tim Campbell).

But the festivities don't last for long.

Although series producer Julie McGauran was keeping mum about storylines surrounding the anniversary, she said a "deadly event" would take place.

The storyline surrounding the 4000th episode of the soapie will begin on the Seven network on July 4 at 7pm (AEST).

Home and Away began on Seven in 1988.

The show has launched the careers of a number of Australians including Kate Richie and Melissa George and more recently Tammin Sursok and Bec Cartwright.

Recent storylines have included a stalker and the Hayley Lawson (Cartwright) pregnancy twist.

McGauran said Home and Away was such a success because viewers could relate to it.

"There's obviously over-the-top characters," McGauran said.

"But there's also down-to-earth characters as well the quintessential Aussie, Alf."

She said it was hard to pick a favourite storyline.

"I looked at the stalker stuff and just went wow," McGauran said.

"(But) having said that I love the traditional Home and Away too."

She said the show featured a variety of strong storylines which sent a positive message to young people.

"We only do stories if we want to do them properly," McGauran insisted.

Jess

Xx

Aussie actors are coming Home for a grand reunion

By AMY FULLOON in Sydney

wire

Northern Territory News / The Courier-Mail

25 June 2005

There's nothing like a wedding, a good party, a death and a handful of returning cast members to celebrate the 4000th episode of one of Australia's most popular soapies.

And that's exactly what the producers of Channel 7's Home and Away have lined up for Summer Bay fans next month.

The popular program, which began in 1988, celebrates its 4000th episode on July 8, with a shocking storyline dragged out during the beginning of that week.

Series producer Julie McGauran was tight-lipped about events surrounding the anniversary.

"It's got it all -- the wedding, the death, parties, all the returning people," said McGauran, who has worked on the show for the past four years.

"In true Home and Away style it's exactly what you expect."

During the anniversary week, the Summer Bay folk come together to celebrate the 60th birthday of Alf Stewart, played by veteran actor Ray Meagher for the past 18 years.

A string of the bay's favourite characters including foster mother Pippa (Debra Lawrance), Donald Fisher (Norman Coburn), Celia (Fiona Spence) and Lance (Peter Vroom) drop in on the festivities.

In moving scenes, Summer Bay sweetheart Sally (Kate Richie) makes a speech to Alf. The address, involving the show's last two original characters, moved even the producer to tears. "Oh my God I have never cried so much," McGauran said.

Of course, no Home and Away anniversary show would be complete without a wedding and the 4000th episode features the nuptials of Leah and Dan.

"It gets botched up along the way but it ends up all beautiful," said McGauran.

However, the festivities don't last long. In the episode to air on July 8, a resident dies. "It's a favourite," was the only fact McGauran would reveal.

McGauran said even after 18 years the show was still a ratings winner with 1.5 million people watching the program each day because it was "so Australian".

Ritchie said she had been through it all during her 18 years playing Sally. "I often try to count the amount of times I've been a bridesmaid," she said.

A death !!

I know there is a thread somewhere else ... but thought I'd post here with the article ... hope it doesn't turn out to be Jesse

His too good a charactor to simply write off by dying ...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you're a big fan of the character, surely he deserves a big exit storyline?

"A deadly event"... that could certainly imply more than one death...

A death !!

I know there is a thread somewhere else ... but thought I'd post here with the article ... hope it doesn't turn out to be Jesse

His too good a charactor to simply write off by dying ...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you're a big fan of the character, surely he deserves a big exit storyline?

"A deadly event"... that could certainly imply more than one death...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I do get what you mean about 'if I was a fan of the charactor' ... and yes he 'does deserve a big exit storyline' ... BUT

While I do get shocked (and drawn) in by a charactors death ... its just that after watching the drama take place ... I tend to reflect on the fact that 'thats it'

Theres no hope for them to ever come back ... I mean who would have guessed Jesse would even come back when he did a couple of years ago ... and last week we had Chloe return

I'm postive Dieter Brummer would be back by now, had Shane not died ... but I am aware that some deaths were needed to perhaps propel the storylines forward and free up some charactors ... like the deaths of Tom , Michael and perhaps even Noah

Like I stated - its just so final ... I like to believe that they might return one day if the 'door is still open' ... (as they say)

But I do tend to think that Jesse is going to die or somehow by involved in the death of whoever it is ...

It has aslo crossed my mind that it could be Alf dying on his birthday !! But could that really happen ... would the writers dare ???

Archived