OMNY - Great Australian Life of Judy Nunn

Sunny Girl

I came across a radio podcast where Judy Nunn spoke for nearly an hour about her life. 

Having met Judy years ago and hearing her be dismissive of her time on 'Home and Away', I was interested to see how she would speak of it nowadays. 

And I was pleasantly surprised. Have a listen. 

You'll also find a podcast on Johnny Ruffo there as well which I haven't listened to yet but will when I have time. 

3 minutes ago, Sally Keating said:

She's just very matter-of-fact about her time on Home and Away - I think a lot of people mistake this for being dismissive.

Appreciate you letting us know about this - thanks!!

I just see Judy Nunn just saying she wanted to be writer now and no longer wanted to act and Judy is just free spirited person and does what she wants to do. 

I think Judy Nunn knows if she wanted to stay she could of done and that was her choice to leave and that’s why she doesn’t miss it as she wanted to leave and she knows  if she wanted to stay she be sitll standing next to Ray and Lynne and she if she was going miss it she would never of left as that’s what she would wanted out of life if she wanted to  stay acting but her Passion in life was write to novels and good her for changing her passion as many people get set in there ways as they get  older and don’t want to changed things there life. 

I really admire Judy Nunn for not letting aged stand in way of changing her career. 

I get the impression that even if Judy had stayed on after 2000, it wouldn't have been for very long. She sounds like she's energised and happy with her second career as an author. I also get the impression that being on H&A gave her financial security and that being written out didn't ruin her life. I don't think she would have wanted to be an 30+ year stalwart on the show.

I've never read any of her books but I think I'll seek something out after this. Her analogy about working on H&A being like on a factory floor was pretty apt, I thought. You get to have a steady job and a steady wage. But you compromise your creativity. That's not to say Ailsa didn't have some memorable storylines but you're still only playing the one character. All the time, her writing career had been walking alongside her acting one and at some stage one probably had to give.

On 08/06/2019 at 10:36, cymbaline said:

I get the impression that even if Judy had stayed on after 2000, it wouldn't have been for very long. She sounds like she's energised and happy with her second career as an author. I also get the impression that being on H&A gave her financial security and that being written out didn't ruin her life. I don't think she would have wanted to be an 30+ year stalwart on the show.

I've never read any of her books but I think I'll seek something out after this. Her analogy about working on H&A being like on a factory floor was pretty apt, I thought. You get to have a steady job and a steady wage. But you compromise your creativity. That's not to say Ailsa didn't have some memorable storylines but you're still only playing the one character. All the time, her writing career had been walking alongside her acting one and at some stage one probably had to give.

She would if she wanted to do and my point is Judy knows she  could off stayed as she long she liked and weather it was   one more year  or five more years or  ten more years or twenty more years .

Whenever she’s be asked if she return to acting she always said I couldn’t do H&A full time again and too me that speaks volumes as if she wanted full time acting she knows she would  had  with H&A. 

Interesting thing with her being killed off with having heart attack in Diner  it could have happened in any season final. 

Interesting when  Judy said if PTB often me more money to stay i probably   would be bought. 

Archived