No Consequences?

D.B

I'm not usually this frustrated at a soap, but today's episode with Colby's righteous's attitude towards Dean has put me on the edge of my nerves. Which allows me to ask the question to you guys: Is anyone else tired about how literally no consequences happen to anyone who does anything criminal on the show, or is anyone else sick of the way the show expects us to root for psychopaths, arsonists, criminals and murderers when they don't deserve it? We've seen it many times on the show before, but I'm surprised how very little this appears to be brought up. We've had the Braxtons, Josh and Andy, Hugo, Hunter, Kat, and now Colby, and many others, who do this bad stuff and yet barely suffers at all for it, and yet we've seen actually good characters spat on for mistakes. Does anyone else think the show has lost it's way? I'd love to hear your opinions on this. 

I do agree that its annoying how they don't face any consequences or seem all that bothered by what they've done, but I also think that people can grow and I guess it depends why they did it. Like for example, when John Palmer was committing arson, he had that brain tumour so it wasn't entirely his fault, and I guess Josh it was also kind of in self-defence...however took ages to speak up and let others be accused and questioned.

I guess what bothers me about the Colby situation is that he willingly took Dean and Willow down with him (and I guess Chelsea too, even if she's no longer there). He had Dean telling him not to and also told Willow so they are now in a situation of having to cover for him and keep quiet, even though both of them had grown a lot as characters since they arrived, and were in a place of getting their lives together. I feel worse for Dean than I do Colby, and he is the one being affected by this.

For once it'd be nice to have a cop who is actually by-the-book too, and either doesn't get involved with the wrong people or in Colby's case, regress from any growth he had of 'leaving his river boy side behind'. I feel like its possible to give the cops storylines without them doing anything illegal or immoral. 

2 hours ago, D.B said:

I'm not usually this frustrated at a soap, but today's episode with Colby's righteous's attitude towards Dean has put me on the edge of my nerves. Which allows me to ask the question to you guys: Is anyone else tired about how literally no consequences happen to anyone who does anything criminal on the show, or is anyone else sick of the way the show expects us to root for psychopaths, arsonists, criminals and murderers when they don't deserve it? We've seen it many times on the show before, but I'm surprised how very little this appears to be brought up. We've had the Braxtons, Josh and Andy, Hugo, Hunter, Kat, and now Colby, and many others, who do this bad stuff and yet barely suffers at all for it, and yet we've seen actually good characters spat on for mistakes. Does anyone else think the show has lost it's way? I'd love to hear your opinions on this. 

What did Kat do?.

Not sure why the show is still called "Home And Away" as the current TPTB do not understand what the show is supposed to be about. It is supposed to be a show about foster teens/waifs and strays who are mentored by foster parents. Today it is just a gory bloodthirsty crime/medical/police drama with no link whatsoever to the real H&A apart from Alf.

No one ever pays for committing serious crimes any more. Alan Bateman would be turning in his grave at the show that parades itself as "Home And Away".

2 hours ago, j.laur5 said:

What did Kat do?.

She covered for Josh for ages as Evie needed his support, and then got involved with Robbo (before we knew he wasn't a criminal) and was planning to go on the run with him. She also covered for Andy at Ash's request when he was doing dodgy stuff at the garage, although did resign then.

23 hours ago, Lunar said:

She covered for Josh for ages as Evie needed his support, and then got involved with Robbo (before we knew he wasn't a criminal) and was planning to go on the run with him. She also covered for Andy at Ash's request when he was doing dodgy stuff at the garage, although did resign then.

But I think that's more unprofessional than being criminal.  

18 hours ago, Lunar said:

I do agree that its annoying how they don't face any consequences or seem all that bothered by what they've done, but I also think that people can grow and I guess it depends why they did it. Like for example, when John Palmer was committing arson, he had that brain tumour so it wasn't entirely his fault, and I guess Josh it was also kind of in self-defence...however took ages to speak up and let others be accused and questioned.

I guess what bothers me about the Colby situation is that he willingly took Dean and Willow down with him (and I guess Chelsea too, even if she's no longer there). He had Dean telling him not to and also told Willow so they are now in a situation of having to cover for him and keep quiet, even though both of them had grown a lot as characters since they arrived, and were in a place of getting their lives together. I feel worse for Dean than I do Colby, and he is the one being affected by this.

For once it'd be nice to have a cop who is actually by-the-book too, and either doesn't get involved with the wrong people or in Colby's case, regress from any growth he had of 'leaving his river boy side behind'. I feel like its possible to give the cops storylines without them doing anything illegal or immoral. 

Thank you, I'm glad that you agree. You do make a good point, their motives for it sometimes makes me sympathise with them, such as Josh, who's crime was a mixture of self-defence and an accident, so I get why he would have probably felt afraid of jail, but still, the lack of repercussions for it doesn't really help. And people can change, I'm 100% accepting of that, but I feel that there has to be a honest effort to do so, which unfortunately, I haven't seen in a lot of the characters I complain about, like Hunter. 

You're right about John, he can't really be blamed for what he did, even if I do understand Ash and VJ's anger towards him.

The idea of a law-abiding cop would be nice, wouldn't it. Unfortunately, the writers just don't seem to consider the possibility of not ruining the main cops for the sake of drama. And yes, Colby's complete lack of understanding of what his actions have been putting Dean, Willow, Bella and Chelsea through is just disgusting. 

13 hours ago, j.laur5 said:

But I think that's more unprofessional than being criminal.  

Yeah thats true I guess - she didn't kill anyone or anything (although I guess she could've almost if Jasmine had died when she ran that red light), but then I guess if someone else does something illegal, and you know about it/withhold information/lie, you kind of get implemented in the case too and could potentially face charges depending on what it is. I do like that she stood down though and clearly felt guilty about her actions.

9 hours ago, D.B said:

Thank you, I'm glad that you agree. You do make a good point, their motives for it sometimes makes me sympathise with them, such as Josh, who's crime was a mixture of self-defence and an accident, so I get why he would have probably felt afraid of jail, but still, the lack of repercussions for it doesn't really help. And people can change, I'm 100% accepting of that, but I feel that there has to be a honest effort to do so, which unfortunately, I haven't seen in a lot of the characters I complain about, like Hunter. 

You're right about John, he can't really be blamed for what he did, even if I do understand Ash and VJ's anger towards him.

The idea of a law-abiding cop would be nice, wouldn't it. Unfortunately, the writers just don't seem to consider the possibility of not ruining the main cops for the sake of drama. And yes, Colby's complete lack of understanding of what his actions have been putting Dean, Willow, Bella and Chelsea through is just disgusting. 

I think Hunter, after Charlotte died, they really pushed the relationship with Olivia so his whole being kind of became about that. It was especially apparent when he left and was just sort of...there, having scenes with only Leah and occasionally Mason. I guess him being 'reformed' was supposed to be about him being a good boyfriend but it would've been nice to see it in other areas too.

Hopefully the next cop after Colby will be better. I mean Chelsea was very by-the-book (although I guess a lot of people found her annoying because of it) and that Ben Murray guy who was essentially a background character lol.

3 hours ago, Lunar said:

Yeah thats true I guess - she didn't kill anyone or anything (although I guess she could've almost if Jasmine had died when she ran that red light), but then I guess if someone else does something illegal, and you know about it/withhold information/lie, you kind of get implemented in the case too and could potentially face charges depending on what it is. I do like that she stood down though and clearly felt guilty about her actions.

I think Hunter, after Charlotte died, they really pushed the relationship with Olivia so his whole being kind of became about that. It was especially apparent when he left and was just sort of...there, having scenes with only Leah and occasionally Mason. I guess him being 'reformed' was supposed to be about him being a good boyfriend but it would've been nice to see it in other areas too.

Hopefully the next cop after Colby will be better. I mean Chelsea was very by-the-book (although I guess a lot of people found her annoying because of it) and that Ben Murray guy who was essentially a background character lol.

I wish Hunter had a half brother with a disability from his father's side and Hunter going out of his way to help his new found brother.  That might be a good storyline or even becoming friends at school with boy who’s bullied a lot. 

13 hours ago, j.laur5 said:

I wish Hunter had a half brother with a disability from his father's side and Hunter going out of his way to help his new found brother.  That might be a good storyline or even becoming friends at school with boy who’s bullied a lot. 

That would've been good! I loved Brendon from a while back but since then they haven't explored disabilities much...its usually oh this character gets in an accident and is magically cured.

Archived