Could Celia and Morag work as long term regulars?.

j.laur5

Do you think Celia and Morag could work as long term regulars like other older characters like Alf/Ailsa/Donald/ Pippa?.

I would like seeing Morag mellow onscreen and becoming close to Bobby and I think Celia could grow more well rounded but sitll have her busybody side. 

What are you thoughts?. 

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, j.laur5 said:

Do you think Celia and Morag could work as long term regulars like other older characters like Alf/Ailsa/Donald/ Pippa?.

I would like seeing Morag mellow onscreen and becoming close to Bobby and I think Celia could grow more well rounded but sitll have her busybody side. 

What are you thoughts?. 

You obviously mean a recasted Morag, right? As Cornelia has sadly passed away.

Edit: Wait, you mentioned Bobby. Do you mean to say “could have worked” as opposed to “would they work”?

Celia and Morag would have worked as long term regulars. Many of H&A's classic iconic characters are women, and strong women such as Ailsa, Colleen, Morag, Celia, Pippa etc.

Celia, Colleen and Morag in 1988 were the H&A version of Ena, Minnie and Martha, the famous Corrie trio of the 1960s. Celia, Colleen and Morag were feisty as well. Floss was more laid back and cheery.

It’s shame Floss never met Morag as I think Floss would be type to realise Morag was emotion person and would and get thought to her and can definitely seeing Floss putting Morag in her place. 

Floss and Morag would remain me of Helen and Mrs Mangel frinedship. 

Mistakes were made during Morag's one and only stint as a regular in 1989 which (in my opinion) is what put the writers off ever making her a regular again. But it's a common writer/producer tendency to "blame the character" rather than blame their own mistakes.

Really there was no need to write Morag out in 1989 just because the writers had messed up and isolated her too far. It was fixable, she still had many aspects of her character to be explored.

As for Celia, Fiona Spence is one of the best things about those early years - the attention to detail she puts into Celia's character (and the writers do too) just isn't seen in modern day H&A, with generic, interchangeable adults like Gina, Beth etc. Even though she isn't my absolute favourite character, I am just mesmerised by Fiona's acting every time Celia is on screen - she completely steals every scene. She could certainly have went on and on, but I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that Celia's exit was the actress' choice.

On 30/12/2018 at 23:25, Sally Keating said:

Mistakes were made during Morag's one and only stint as a regular in 1989 which (in my opinion) is what put the writers off ever making her a regular again. But it's a common writer/producer tendency to "blame the character" rather than blame their own mistakes.

Really there was no need to write Morag out in 1989 just because the writers had messed up and isolated her too far. It was fixable, she still had many aspects of her character to be explored.

As for Celia, Fiona Spence is one of the best things about those early years - the attention to detail she puts into Celia's character (and the writers do too) just isn't seen in modern day H&A, with generic, interchangeable adults like Gina, Beth etc. Even though she isn't my absolute favourite character, I am just mesmerised by Fiona's acting every time Celia is on screen - she completely steals every scene. She could certainly have went on and on, but I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that Celia's exit was the actress' choice.

Fiona Spence decided to leave the series. 

Also honestly i really dont think PTB at time were just not interested in having too many older characters at that point.  

Archived