Why no friends for Sally ? (1988 to 1991)

BurgerPhone

Okay, so Sally hung out with Mullet for a while, but during the era of 1988 to 1991 that I have just watched she was never given girl mates her own age to hang out with at the diner, and even male friends like Mullet lasted only weeks. It would have been interesting to perhaps have had the 3 generations, the kids, the teens, and the oldies. Sally always seemed so pathetic that she had to have Lance as a mate, I mean she was at school and went to The Nippers club, could she not make any friends there her own age to hang around with ? She is now 12 (1991 I am watching) so perhaps that will change, but up to now you have to feel sorry for the character.

The show doesn't really focus on her generation, so Sally is only shown to have friends when she has a storyline that calls for it (such as her birthday party, or more recently in the storyline with Gloria, which you won't have seen yet). To justify introducing friends for Sally and show them on a regular basis, they would need to give them regular storylines like the older teens get, and as I said the show wasn't interested in focusing on that age group in those days.

True, but the problem is they (the scriptwriters) bring up the subject themselves, what reminded me of this was the recent episode I saw where Sally was hounding Sophie to hang around with her because she doesn't have any friends. While only a few episodes before she had a birthday party with lots of them. If we are not meant to be focused on her generation they shouldn't bring up storylines making her seem friendless.

Archived