Best way to get to Palm Beach?

Guest kimberleylouisee

I would recommend walking up to the lighthouse if you have time. Walk along the beach towards it on the Pier Diner side and eventually it's signed off to the right by a boat shed. It's a fair walk up the hill, but it's do-able and the views from the top are spectacular. I went in July so it was pretty cold, and that was before the bushfires in that region a couple of months back. For this reason you might not be able to get up to see the lighthouse, as I think that area was damaged, but give it a go :) .

Also if you are as much of an anorak as me, wander around the suburbs nearby and see some of the locations like Leah's house . The addresses are in the Locations section of this website. Whale Beach Road is great too.

Oh really, i hope the light house is still accessible ! thanks! I'll have to try and find the addresses and hopefully can find some :)

As Fyn says it all depends on the amount of time you want to spend there.

By Bus

Palm Beach is a 90 minute bus journey from Sydney on the L90 bus, which leaves the city from Lee Street, near Railway Square, approximately every 20 minutes. Other stops within Sydney include Clarence Street and Wynyard Station. To download route maps and timetables, visit the Sydney Buses website and select the L90 route from the dropdown box.

There are a number of drop-off points in Palm Beach. If you disembark on Barrenjoey Road you will find the town centre of Palm Beach with a number of shops, cafes and the Palm Beach Ferry Wharf. However this is at least a 10-15 minute walk over the hill from the main beaches and Surf Club. If you disembark immediately on the other side of the hill, on Beach Road near the Golf Course, you will be at the southern end of Governer Phillip Park where you will find the North Palm Beach Surf Club (Summer Bay's Surf Club) and the Barrenjoey Boathouse (Pier Diner). Alternatively if you wish to walk the length of the beach, you can wait until the bus terminates at the southern end of the beach at Ocean Place. Here you will find a couple of shops, a cafe, and you will be near to the rockpool.

Will I see them filming?

'Home and Away' is typically filmed for 46 weeks of the year, with a 4 week break over Christmas and a 2 week break mid-year. Filming schedules vary from week to week, and whilst there was a time when you could ring Seven Network to find out in advance, this is no longer possible. Usually they film location scenes in the earlier part of the week, so Monday-Wednesday are all likely days to catch them filming (though bear in mind that not all location work is done at Palm Beach). The peninsula is a big place so if there's no sign of crew vehicles around the Surf Club area, it's worth checking on the Pittwater side near the Barrenjoey Boathouse (Pier Diner).

Hi kimberleylouisee, I would probably say the easiest way to get to Palm Beach is by car, but if you don't have one or hiring one is too expensive, there is a bus that you can get from the city. Palmy is a fair way north of Sydney's CBD, so it is not a quick bus ride.

I can't speak about any of the tours because I've never done one but it is easy to explore the main H&A sites on your own. The beach/surf club are a short walk from the Pier Diner/Alf's Bait Shop Bay area. If you wanted to watch filming you would probably be best to go independently because with the tours you have time restrictions.

I guess it depends on the kind of experience you were wanting!

thanks so much for the replies Dan and Fyn! i think i will go with the pubic transport option because it's more flexible :) I've just always been worried about public transport interstate, and getting lost once i get off the bus haha.

I actually rang channel 7 late last year and they told me that if I ring closer to when I will be there that they will tell me when they are filming at the beach and stuff? So maybe they just lied to me? Haha damn.. had my hopes up! But i will ring them in the next few weeks because i'm going in February and will keep you posted if they tell me anything :)

Palm Beach has around 1600 inhabitants (amongst them a fair amount of millionaires) and hundreds of tourists visiting - all building exteriors used in the show are real businesses and homes. It's a lot bigger than it appears on screen, with the show tending to use the small area around Governer Phillip Park for most filming.

Do they get persmission from every person appearing in the background before filming?

Palm Beach has around 1600 inhabitants (amongst them a fair amount of millionaires) and hundreds of tourists visiting - all building exteriors used in the show are real businesses and homes. It's a lot bigger than it appears on screen, with the show tending to use the small area around Governer Phillip Park for most filming.

Do they get persmission from every person appearing in the background before filming?

The majority of people you'll see in the background of shots are hired extras. Anyone else is usually further away and not identifiable - but they wouldn't need permission anyway as it's a public place.

Why is no one ever bothering to answer my question in my previous post on Page One? :( :(

Will repeat it again....

These are helpful tips for me because I may be going to Palm Beach sometime this year :D

Will the Home and Away cast be there filming and having photos taken of them with fans?

I just wanted to know that's all. Thank you!

The majority of people you'll see in the background of shots are hired extras. Anyone else is usually further away and not identifiable - but they wouldn't need permission anyway as it's a public place.

Really? That must be expensive considering how many background people there are, im wondering. When they act is their facial expression a part of it? Like when Jet had witnessed Pips seizure and John had to take him out of the diner for a walk i could see that i feel sorry for that kid expression on Leahs face

Why is no one ever bothering to answer my question in my previous post on Page One? :( :(

Will repeat it again....

These are helpful tips for me because I may be going to Palm Beach sometime this year :D

Will the Home and Away cast be there filming and having photos taken of them with fans?

I believe H&A films at Palm Beach 1 day each week for much of the year, but they never inform the public when they will be. It's a case of taking a punt and hoping that they will be on the day that you go. I've been to Palm Beach twice now ....the 1st time [in 2002] i didn't see any filmingt, but in 2012 i went there on a Wednesday in May adn got lucky [saw some filming]. Although i didn't approach any of the various actors i saw filming [the ppl who play the likes of Bianca, VJ adn Jett], I've seem countless fan photos onlime with members of the cast at Plam Beach.

Hope that helps.

Will repeat it again....

There isn't a reason to feel offended, to be honest it's not a question we can really answer - all you say is that you'll be there "sometime this year"..... all I can do is to repeat what I said in my previous post - being that they tend to film on location Mon-Weds, and film all year round with a 2 week break mid-year and the month off over Christmas.

As for whether the cast will be posing for photos, well again we're not the ones that can answer that - it's all down to whether the cast members have the time on the day, though many people do get lucky.

Will repeat it again....

There isn't a reason to feel offended, to be honest it's not a question we can really answer - all you say is that you'll be there "sometime this year"..... all I can do is to repeat what I said in my previous post - being that they tend to film on location Mon-Weds, and film all year round with a 2 week break mid-year and the month off over Christmas.

As for whether the cast will be posing for photos, well again we're not the ones that can answer that - it's all down to whether the cast members have the time on the day, though many people do get lucky.

i am not offended at all.

Thank you for answering my question, Dan F. :)

They are good helpful tips but great information about Palm Beach and etc... :D

Archived