Sworn To Secrecy

Guest Lucii

Thanks for the comments I love reading them! :)

Chapter Eleven

Charlie stared in disbelief at the man she loved, loving someone else. Her heart plummeted to the ground in sorrow and her eyes blurred with tears. The love of her life was teaching another woman how to surf in between kisses, his arms always around her waist. She wore a tiny orange bikini which complimented her tan. Her naturally blonde hair was wavy and windswept. Charlie’s heart ached as Brax picked his girlfriend up by the waist and swung her around on the beach before collapsing on the sand. Charlie felt like she couldn’t take any more.

”I have to go this has all been one big mistake. I’m sorry Leah here take this for looking after Ruby. I know it’s not much but I’ll send the rest and...”

Charlie’s voice broke into loud sobs while Leah cuddled Charlie’s head into her chest.

”What about Ruby?” Leah asked whilst trying to calm Charlie down.

”I’ll send money, every week for food and water and clothes. I just can’t be here”

”Charlie, just stay a few days please. Ruby’s visiting Nicole and Angelo in the city so she’ll be gone for at least a week. You need to sleep on this, Ruby deserves to know about her half sister and Brax deserves to know about his daughter”

”Leah I can’t”

”Please Charlie just for one night. We need to talk a lot more”

Leah got up and began to push Olivia. She beckoned Charlie to go home with her. Weakened by Leah’s words and not wanting to spend the night travelling she decided to stay the night on the condition that she didn’t have to leave the house and that hardly anyone would see her. The walk to Leah’s was silent and they found themselves bumping into a lot of the locals. Charlie kept her head down and her sunglasses on, becoming unrecognisable to the people she came across while Leah smiled awkwardly at her neighbours who began to wonder who the baby and mysterious woman were.

When they reached Leah’s, Leah noted that Charlie’s car was parked at the side of the house. She let the three of them in whilst Charlie took the pram and wheeled Olivia into Charlie’s bedroom rocking her to sleep for a nap whilst Leah poured two glasses of wine. She went into the living room to find Charlie gazing at pictures of Ruby, Leah and VJ and smiling over them. She handed Charlie a glass and sat down on the couch beside her.

”So...” Leah and Charlie smiled awkwardly at one another. “Where shall we begin?”

”Ruby” Charlie smiled at Leah and for a split second her smile showed emotion. She felt she couldn’t say anything else except mutter the persons name.

”Ruby finished her exams and passed them all with flying colours”

Charlie smiled with pride in her eyes as she knew her beautiful girl would have a successful life.

”She’s at Uni at the moment along with April and Dexter. She’s doing so well Charlie and you wouldn’t have thought it in the first few months when you left.

”Why?” Charlie stupidly asked although she knew the answer.

”Ruby was so upset when she realised you left. She took her anger out on everyone especially me and Casey. She spent day after day sitting in your room just trying to feel your presence was still around. She stopped eating, went out late and I had a few too many nights of dealing with a drunk Ruby shouting all sorts of abuse. Even now she still sleeps in your bed”

The tears formed in Charlie’s eyes again, although she was determined not to cry. She looked at Leah who smiled warmly back.

”I’m sorry Leah”

”Don’t be, the truth is we all had it tough. VJ wondered where you had gone and I consoled an upset Ruby whilst trying to blink back the tears myself. You were so missed Charlie, you can’t just leave again. Not just for yourself but for all the people who have missed you. Me, Ruby, VJ and most of all Brax”

”Can you ever forgive me?” Charlie asked uncertainly, positive that the answer would be no.

”You don’t need to be forgiven. I understand why you ran but please don’t do it now”

Charlie smiled and the awkwardness between the pair was gone. She hugged Leah and the two burst out laughing at the silliness of Charlie’s actions.

”I’ve missed you shorty” Charlie grinned at Leah who pretended to look offended.

”I’ve missed you too long legs” She replied.

The two sat and talked for what seemed like hours. VJ phoned and said he was staying at a friend’s house which meant they could talk all night if they wanted to. Charlie understood what Leah meant when she said she’d missed alot. Bianca was married to Liam and recently returned from her honeymoon whilst announcing her pregnancy. Lily had returned to the bay with her mum and became VJ’s first love. Ruby split up with Casey and was still single. Irene had become a foster parent again after Bianca and April moved out to live with Liam now that his house was empty with Nic and Angelo leaving the bay and Roo moving in with boyfriend Sid at the farm after the pair revealed their feelings for one another on a business trip in Hawaii. Leah was engaged to Miles and the wedding was due to take place sometime next year. Charlie had missed the departure of her stepmother Morag, Marilyn, Nicole and Angelo and missed the arrivals of the new faces Charlie was soon to see and get to know. Heath Braxton was sent to jail after his involvement in the marijuana crop. Brax escaped jail from agreeing to help the cops discover Heath in agreement that he’d get a better life for him and Casey. Angelo’s was renamed Brax’s and was a thriving success much to the surprise of Charlie. Her heart filled with joy as she discovered Brax was innocent and Heath went to jail. Having Leah mention Brax only made her want him even more. She glanced at the clock , knowing it was near enough closing time for the restaurant.

”Leah I need to go see him”

”Brax?” Leah asked glancing cautiously at Charlie. ”Do you think that’s a good idea?”

”No not really but if I don’t do it now I never will” She replied. ”I’m sorry but could you look after Liv?”

Leah nodded and smiled with pride at Charlie. Charlie felt sick at each step she took towards the restaurant. Her face was hidden by the glasses and the hair just incase she saw anyone she didn’t necessarily want to bump into. She walked into the restaurant like she had so many times before except she hadn’t felt so sick and so nervous about what was going to happen next. She stopped seeing Brax at the bar with his back turned to Charlie. He was whistling to himself whilst wiping glasses. Charlie took a shaky couple of steps until she was inside the restaurant gazing at the man she used to love. The man she still loved. Brax turned around as Charlie took of her sunglasses. He dropped the glass and it smashed on the ground into a million pieces just like both their hearts when Charlie left that fateful day.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the comments...I am going to apologize in advance for the rubbishness of this chapter x

Chapter Twelve

”Ch-Charlie?” Brax stuttered looking at the petite slender brunette that stood just a metre away from him. Their eyes met, neither breaking away as they just stared at one another for the first time in a year. Charlie broke contact first, slightly bowing her head as if she was ashamed of her actions while Brax could do nothing but gaze at the only woman he had ever loved aside from his mother.

Neither of the pair noticed the glass fragments scattered on the floor around them as the silence became more noticeable. Brax’s surprise soon turned to frustration which didn’t surprise Charlie. He never looked away from Charlie, scared that she might disappear in the blink of an eye like she did last time.

”You left my life in ruins” he finally said while tears rolled from both their eyes and Charlie gazed back into Brax’s eyes with love while his eyes were angry and frustrated, a side to him that Charlie never witnessed. “I gave up the boys for you and...”

”You chose them first Brax”

”Heath’s my brother what the hell was I supposed to do?” Brax’s voice had risen slightly and he was almost shouting at Charlie. He put his head in his hands, breaking eye contact for the first time as more tears formed in his eyes. He’d always considered himself a blokey bloke and never liked to be seen crying, least of all by the girl who had caused him the most pain.

”I’m sorry” Charlie desperately wanted to hug him and kiss him as seeing him only made her heart beat faster. She didn’t know what else to say except sorry.

”Sorry...sorry? I’m sorry too for falling in love with a life-ruining bitch!” Brax shouted at Charlie, making the tears roll from her eyes a lot faster. Shocked by his outburst she turned to walk out of the restaurant.

”Charlie, Charlie I’m sorry please come back” Brax called after Charlie and she turned to face him again. There was a touch of sadness in his eyes and he had dried his tears. He walked over to Charlie, confused by his emotions and touched her lips softly with his thumb. He gently leant in for a kiss, removing his thumb when Charlie’s tears rolled onto his hands. Their lips touched slightly by now the tears rolled down from both their eyes. Charlie stepped away, not wanting her feelings to get in the way of what was going to happen next. She thought of Olivia, she deserved to know her daddy.

”Brax” she pulled away from their kiss, dried her eyes and looked up into his hazel brown eyes. ”There’s something I need to show you”

Thanks for the comments again :) here's the next part hope you like it x

Chapter Thirteen

Brax didn’t even realise what she was saying he was too wrapped up in their kiss. She bowed her head. Brax stepped away his hand covering his mouth in shock as he realised what had just happened.

”Oh f**k” Brax exclaimed as he took a wider step away from Charlie.

”That shouldn’t have happened” She replied as neither knew what to say next.

”Yeah Tegan’s going to go mad” At this point Brax wasn’t aware of his actions and was rambling on unaware that Charlie didn’t know who the hell Tegan was.

”Tegan?” She looked at Brax wide-eyed while Brax was swearing under his breath.

”She’s my gir....I mean friend”

”Girlfriend” She muttered. Brax didn’t reply but nodded which made Charlie feel even worse. She remembered the girl on the beach, Brax’s arms wrapped tightly around her and how happy they both looked. Inside she was raging with jealousy she wanted to be the only girl that Brax would cuddle that way but on the outside Charlie knew that she had no right to demand to be a big part of Brax’s life. She had been the one to leave after all.

”She’s pretty”

”Charlie you don’t know her”

”I saw you on the beach...earlier”

Several moments passed again in silence with either making eye contact or attempting to say any words. They couldn’t deny that the sexual tension was still there but whether or not they could go back to the way they were was undecided. Brax had finally moved on and in fairness he was happy with Tegan but at the end of the day she wasn’t Charlie and she never would be.

”You said you had to show me something” Brax broke the tension between the pair at last as questions raced through both their minds. Charlie took a deep breath and beckoned Brax to follow her.

”Leah’s” Brax nodded and followed Charlie turning of the lights. He followed her out of the restaurant gazing at the attractive woman in front of him. Guiltily he thought of Tegan too, sitting at her house waiting for Brax to come see her. He took out his phone and texted her as Charlie walked ahead.

Can’t come over tonight. Got to help Case out with homework. I love you baby

Yeah he felt guilty for lying and he knew he’d have to tell her what happened eventually but right now with all that was going on it didn’t really concern Tegan. She wasn’t around when Charlie was still here but Brax remained certain that their paths would cross one day. A couple of minutes later Brax’s phone beeped. A message from Tegan

It’s okay. I love you too xxx

Brax sighed and caught up to Charlie who was glancing at her phone. Brax noticed that she was looking at pictures she had took of herself and Ruby. Charlie smiled at the pictures of her eldest daughter but sighed at the same time.

”Rubes and Case...”

”I know. But it wasn’t her fault”

Charlie bit her lip wishing that they could arrive at Leah’s sooner.

”So Ruby didn’t know you’d left?” he asked. ”And why did you leave exactly?” he scratched his head in confusion.

”No she didn’t know and it’s...complicated I guess”

”I had to pick the boys over you Charlie. They would have killed me”

”It’s okay I understand but you shouldn’t have done that to Ruby or Casey. They’ve done nothing wrong”

”I know Charlie but I just couldn’t handle having Ruby round our place when she looks just like you. Every time I saw her she reminded me of you”

”I’m sorry”

Brax didn’t respond as they reached Leah’s. They let themselves in, noticing the lights were still on which meant Leah was still up waiting for Charlie’s return. Leah came through into the kitchen wearing her robe causing Brax to cough uncomfortably and for Leah to flush a little.

”Brax” Leah mumbled glaring at Charlie who giggled nervously.

”Leah”

”I’m sorry Leah for coming back so late. I need to tell him”

”Tell me what” Brax scratched his head again in confusion and Leah smiled at Charlie, glad she was doing the right thing.

”Wait here” and with that Charlie went into her bedroom where Olivia was gurgling in her cot. Leah and Brax remained silent in the kitchen as they hadn’t exchanged many words since Charlie had left except if he came to the diner for a coffee or if Leah went to Angelo’s.

”Hello gorgeous...mummy’s here” Charlie grinned scooping up Liv in her arms. She sighed rocking Olivia in her arms before bracing herself for what she was about to do. She tiptoed back into the kitchen and passed Leah on the way who made her excuses to Brax that she was tired and went to bed. She mouthed good luck to Charlie before continuing to her room. Charlie stepped into the kitchen holding what Brax thought was just a pink blanket. He came over to peer inside to find the prettiest little thing smiling back at him. His daughter.

”Erm...is she?”

Charlie smiled down at her baby girl and nodded her head at Brax.

”Yes Brax, she’s your daughter”

Thanks for the comments x I’m currently writing some new fics that should be posted soon as I'm not continuing with Unbroken x

Chapter Fourteen

”Tell me this isn’t true....TELL ME THIS ISN’T TRUE” Brax’s voice rose in anger frightening both Charlie and Olivia. Charlie looked ashamed and Olivia cried whilst Charlie cradled her.

”I’m sorry” she whispered and she swore she saw the tears fall from Brax’s eyes. He gazed down at Olivia wrapped in a pink blanket.

”Is this...is this why you left?” He nodded his head down at Olivia. Charlie nodded and Brax held his head in his hands. His voice had lowered after he realised what his shouting was doing to the baby. She looked so beautiful, just like her mummy Brax had thought. He saw how Charlie bonded so well with her even if everything was new to Charlie. Of course she had Ruby but she missed out on the first couple of months whilst her parents raised Ruby. Charlie nodded and Brax sighed. A part of him was relieved that Charlie had came back before his daughter grew older but a part of him was furious that he had missed so much of this beautiful baby’s life already even if she was only a few months old.

”What’s her name?” Brax asked praying that Charlie didn’t give his baby some ludicrous celebrity styled name.

”Olivia”

”I like that. She looks like an Olivia”

Charlie held Olivia close to her chest as the baby slept blissfully unaware of any noise in the background. Brax held out his arms, beckoning to Charlie that he wanted to hold her. Charlie handed Olivia over to Brax as he cradled baby Olivia back and forth.

”You’re good at this” she weakly smiled at Brax as he gazed down at his baby girl. He smiled weakly hearing Charlie’s voice but not wanting to take his eyes of the baby his baby just incase she disappeared again.

”I had a lot of practise...with Case when he was little. Mum used to always be out at the bingo or the bar so you learn a thing or two about raising children”

”I didn’t learn that with Ruby” Charlie replied sadly making eye contact with Brax. She only realised what she said and clasped her hand over her mouth.

”What why?”

Charlie pondered over whether to tell him about the rape before deciding against the idea. He wasn’t her boyfriend anymore, he had moved on and the only reason he was with Charlie at the moment was because of Olivia. The kiss before, they had both put down to a mixture of emotions and while both wanted it to happen again they realised that as long as Brax was seeing someone else then there was no way that Charlie was going to become the “other woman” whether she was the father or Brax’s child or not.

”My parents thought it’d be best if they raised Ruby as their daughter” Charlie explained hurriedly. ”And as my sister”

”At least you still had a chance of getting a life. I’ve been raising Case since he was 2 months old”

”Same age as Liv”

Charlie watched as Brax held Liv in his arms. He smiled showing of his dimples which Charlie loved about him. She loved everything about him and even though he had moved on she would never stop loving her. Brax could see Charlie was watching him and found himself becoming slightly embarrassed by it. Seeing her again made his dreams come true and now he looked at Olivia and realised how easy life could be for the three of them. But then he remembered Tegan. The girl who had helped heal his broken heart and the girl who was probably angry she didn’t see her boyfriend that night. Guiltily Brax froze and handed Olivia back to Charlie. Charlie looked at him confused but didn’t question anything.

”I have to go...Tegan” Brax looked down at Olivia then up into Charlie’s eyes.

”I understand”

She didn’t understand. Infact Charlie felt her heart shatter into a million pieces as she heard the words coming out of Brax’s mouth. They held eye contact for longer than expected just glad they were in each other’s company. Brax broke away first and kissed Olivia on the head before edging away towards the door.

”Meet me tomorrow?” he asked Charlie. ”You and Olivia at Angelo’s I could make you lunch? I mean we don’t do baby food but I can go get some just this once”

”Yeah sure” Charlie smiled as Brax turned around and left Leah’s. He smiled and walked out of the door soon becoming out of earshot.

”I love you” Charlie said but her words were not heard. Sighing she turned around and went through to the bedroom and placed Olivia in the cot. She climbed into her own bed after kissing the picture of her and Ruby and becoming prepared for a greeting never to be forgotten tomorrow...

Thanks for the comments I love reading them :)

Chapter Fifteen

Charlie woke suddenly the next morning. It was actually the first night Liv slept through most of the night. Must have been her daddy’s presence thought Charlie smiling to herself as she got ready. She went over to the cot where Liv was giggling and squealing making the cutest sounds that could possibly be imagined. Charlie scooped her into her arms and lay her down on the bed as she changed Liv’s nappy. Next she looked at the wide range of baby clothes that she had brought in the city once Liv was born and pondered over which she would dress Olivia in. Finally she picked out a little pink dress and a white cardigan with a pink ribbon on. Glancing out of the window Charlie could see it was hot and fished around in the bag for the matching sunhat to put on Liv as they were leaving. She heard Leah tap slightly on the door before entering the room. Charlie smiled warmly towards her and Leah sat down on the bed.

”Ruby texted me. She’ll be home about 9 o clock tonight” She explained hurriedly to Charlie. Panic overcame Charlie but she knew for once in her life she couldn’t run away from the truth just like she did so many times before. She knew Ruby would be angry and it was likely that she wouldn’t even want to acknowledge Charlie for abandoning her but Charlie knew it was better to do this now before Olivia grew up any more and Ruby missed out the chance to know her little sister and Brax to miss out the chance of having a daughter.

”I’ll be here don’t worry” Charlie replied and Leah smiled, slightly relieved that she wasn’t going to run again.

”Great well I’ll make dinner for me, you, Veej and Ruby. I don’t have baby food obviously but I can get some...”

”MUM?” The sound of VJ entering the house interrupted Charlie and Leah’s conversation. Leah got up and walked out of the room and Charlie followed closely behind with Liv. Leah made it to the kitchen were VJ was standing round the chocolate muffins.

”Hey sweetie did you have a good night last night?”

”Yeah it was awesome but I think I’m going to go for a surf in a bit then maybe go see Lily?” VJ replied while secretly grabbing a muffin and beginning to head out of the kitchen. Charlie came through with Liv bumping into VJ on the way.

”Charlie?” VJ exclaimed wide eyed as his face broke out in a grin. Charlie ruffled his hair playfully.

”Hey veej!” “ She smiled as Liv squirmed in her arms.

”Is that your baby?” he asked once Leah tried bustling him out of the kitchen. ”Are you staying? Why did you leave? Why are you back?”

”Veej go get your board and tonight Charlie will be at dinner and she’ll answer all your questions” Leah smiled at her son. ”And when you go to Lil’s tell Irene, Bianca and Gypsy I say hi...and April and Lily of course”

”So basically the entire household?”

”Yeah I guess so”

Veej grinned and went to get his board. As he went out the door Charlie noticed it was the same board that Brax had given to Veej and she smiled to herself. VJ smiled at Charlie and Charlie wished her daughter’s reaction would be as simple as VJ’s but sadly she knew it wouldn’t be. Leah grabbed her bag and hugged Charlie and kissed Liv on the forehead before heading off to work. Charlie was faced with an empty house so she got ready and decided to face the locals of Summer Bay before going to see Brax. She changed into skinny jeans and a flowing white top. She put Liv’s sunhat on and placed her in her pram before Charlie strolled with her along the bay getting slightly awkward reactions from some of the people she knew and loved. Before long she came across Ruby’s friends Dex, April, Kate and Xavier. April stopped Charlie in her tracks as Dex and Xavier looked shocked because they knew how much Ruby needed her mum when she wasn’t around and Kate was still wary of Charlie having received a good telling of from the former sergeant last year on a camping trip gone wrong.

”Charlie” April exclaimed wide mouthed not knowing what to say next. ”Ruby...Bianca...Casey”

Charlie laughed as April looked slightly worried as she just kept blurting stuff out.

”Is this like word association?”

”I’m sorry it’s just...what are you doing here?” April asked. She clocked the baby crying as Charlie bent down reassuring Liv that mummy was here. April gasped while Xavier whispered to Dex did she just say mummy? Is that her?

”Look April it’s a long story and I’m sure Ruby will fill you in at some point as I’ll be seeing her later. But if you see her before I do please do not say anything promise?”

”Promise” April smiled and gave Charlie a quick hug. ”She’s really missed you y’know and Bianca too”

”I’ve missed them too...I’ve missed everyone but it was understandable why I had to leave” Charlie said glancing down at Olivia. April nodded and smiled again at Charlie before saying goodbye and walking away. Charlie smiled as she knew April wouldn’t break her promise she was just like Bee. Sweet and trustworthy.

Charlie pushed Olivia towards Angelo’s or as she noticed in the daylight was now renamed Brax’s. She was surprised that there weren’t as many people around but was glad to have the secret still remaining under control at least until Ruby was back. She wheeled Liv into Brax’s and noticed Brax at the bar. He glanced up and smiled at her before coming over to check how they both were. He ushered them to an available table before unbuckling Liv from her pram and cuddling her close kissing her cheeks and her forehead as Olivia squealed. He handed her to Charlie but as he was doing so a younger blonde woman walked into Angelo’s. Her hair fell in to soft natural waves and was a gorgeous blonde colour. She walked over to Brax smiling but as she became closer she became worried to see her boyfriend holding a baby. Her worry turned to anger as she saw the chemistry between Brax and another girl. He couldn’t take his eyes of Charlie and likewise for Charlie. The long stares were only interrupted when the blonde girl spoke.

”Brax” she spoke walking over to where he was standing over the brunette and the baby. ”Care to explain?”

Thanks for the comments again! :) I love love reading them

Chapter Sixteen

The beautiful blonde girl glared from Charlie to Olivia which sent shivers through Charlie’s spine. She could handle the glares just at her but Olivia had done nothing wrong.

”Babe it’s not what you think”

”Who is she Brax?”

”I’m Charlie. Charlie Buckton” Charlie stuck out her hand deciding to be polite to the one person she couldn’t hate any more. The girl didn’t shake her hand back instead rolled her eyes and turned to Brax.

”Charlie huh? Tell me this isn’t the Charlie that I spent months consoling you when she left”

Charlie bit her lip trying not to smile at Tegan’s comment. She knew they loved each other but she didn’t expect Brax to be pining for her for months. Brax’s cheeks went from scarlet to crimson as he looked from Tegan to Charlie.

”I’m sorry Teegs” he mumbled. ”But the baby, Liv, is my daughter”

Tegan stared shocked at the revelation but her shock turned to anger as she started shouting at both Brax and Charlie. Brax took it all trying to argue back while Charlie stayed silent rocking Liv as she cried. Brax wrestled Tegan away from the table as she tried to shout abuse at Charlie who kept her head down.

”I’m his girlfriend” she shouted attracting attention from the customers in the restaurant who stared shocked at a scene that was a bit farfetched for what they all thought would be a relaxing lunch. Brax tried calming her down with unsuccessful results.

”We should go” Charlie mumbled placing Liv in her pram. Brax grasped her arm and stopped her and it became obvious he was still in love with her.

Tegan pondered over whether to go psycho girlfriend or do the right thing to guarantee that Brax wouldn’t leave her again.

”No don’t go” she replied beckoning Charlie to sit down. ”I’m sorry I guess it’s just shock...I’ll join you and we’ll talk all three of us together”

Both Brax and Charlie gritted their teeth when Tegan made this comment .Sure they were glad that they could still have lunch together but secretly Brax had hoped he’d get to have lunch with Charlie on his own without bringing the awkwardness of a lunch with his current girlfriend. Tegan went up to the bar and ordered a drink for herself while Brax mumbled sorry at Charlie. Liv gurgled every now and then while Charlie an Brax smiled into the pram. Tegan looked over at the table where they were sitting, devastated at how much they looked like a family. But she wasn’t going to let Brax go and she certainly wasn’t going to let Charlie Buckton have him back. She took her drink and sat next to Brax and then turned to kiss him which broke Charlie’s heart but she couldn’t do anything about it. She took a deep breath as Brax pulled away and both Tegan and Brax looked at Charlie. Neither of the three spoke for a while and the only noise that came from their table was the sound of Liv gurgling and kicking. Brax and Charlie looked at Liv both smiling but Tegan looked uninterested which frustrated Brax.

”So” Brax looked around at Charlie and Tegan. Charlie weakly smiled and Tegan took Brax’s hand into hers only for him to push her hand away. She rolled her eyes and glared at Charlie who was back to smiling over Olivia.

Charlie sensed the awkwardness as she supped the last of her drink. Weakly smiling at Brax and Tegan she made her excuses and got up to leave. Brax asked Charlie if he could hold Olivia and Brax cradled her not wanting to let go. He placed her back into her pram and Charlie could have swore that his hand slightly brushed by hears as her heart raced. They smiled at one another but the sexual tension was unbearable. Brax was so happy to have her back and to have his little girl but he had Tegan now and she’d been there for him a lot.

”Goodbye then” Charlie mumbled directly to Brax.

”Goodbye Charlotte” Tegan replied for Brax. Charlie rolled her eyes at the mention of her full name being mentioned but didn’t say anything incase it upset Brax. Brax kissed Olivia on the forehead as Tegan rose.

”Babe I’m going to leave too so see you later?” She kissed Brax as Charlie went to leave but Brax pulled away and let Tegan walk out the door. Finally it was just Charlie and Brax but still neither knew what to say to one another.

”Well see you then “ Charlie tried to exit but Brax grabbed her arm and Charlie was certain that everyone in the restaurant could hear her heart beating.

”Meet me again soon. On our own I promise” Their faces were so close that it was with all her strength that Charlie didn’t lean in to kiss him. She nodded at this before backing off. She wasn’t going to become the other woman.

”It’ll be a while if I do stay. I need to see Ruby and then I don’t know what will happen next”

Brax looked concerned as he looked at his baby daughter the single most important thing in his life right now. He’d just met her and he sure as hell didn’t want to let her go without a fight.

”Promise me you won’t leave again”

Charlie looked up into his pleading eyes. She wanted to say everything would be okay that she and Liv would always be around from now on but the truth is she didn’t know. She needed to sort things out with Ruby and it was likely that Ruby probably wouldn’t want anything to do with her.

”I’m sorry Brax I need to go”

With that she wheeled Liv out of the restaurant while Brax gazed after her. Charlie wheeled the pram back to Leah’s bumping in to more and more people that she knew. Sid and Roo nearly did a double take and Sid glanced at the baby knowing that this was the reason that Charlie was likely to have left. He smiled awkwardly and her while Roo gasped but Sid shushed her and they continued on their walk. Charlie ached to see those most close to her that she hadn’t seen yet Ruby, Bianca and to some extent Morag. She knew that others would have no problem with her being back but the main focus was on Ruby and trying to explain the mess she got herself into.

Charlie got back to Leah’s and pushed the door whilst pushing the pram. Leah and VJ were out meaning she had the house to herself. She wheeled Liv into the kitchen as Charlie heard a shout coming from the living room.

”Hello? Leah, Veej is that you?

Charlie froze, recognising the voice of her eldest daughter immediately. She glanced at the clock and wondered why she was back so early. While Charlie freaked out in the kitchen silently she swore that Liv was making cute baby sounds louder and louder. Again Ruby spoke having not heard anything the first time around.

”Hello?” She shouted again and Charlie held her head in her hands. Ruby was sure she could hear noises from the kitchen so she went to investigate. She saw Charlie standing there rocking a pram silently. Ruby felt the tears forming in her eyes already as Charlie glanced up with pleading eyes.

”Rubes”

The anger rose inside of Ruby as she was amazed at how calm Charlie was being over the situation Charlie walked over to her as Ruby stood still and silent not showing any other emotion in her eyes other than hate.

”Please Rubes hear me out”

Ruby glared at Charlie before the anger reached a head. She slapped her mum hard across the face, tears falling as she did so. She ran out of the house shouting I hate you over and over. Charlie began to sob as she collapsed against the kitchen worktop. She longed to go see Ruby but didn’t want to make things worse. Instead she sat on the floor rocking herself back and forth to the sound of her sobs.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments. Jeez it’s been ages since I updated this so here’s the next part x

Chapter 17

Charlie longed to run after Ruby but with a little baby to look after this was easier said than done. Instead she waited and she waited longing for Ruby to come home. Every minute that passed was torture for Charlie but she knew Ruby couldn’t stay out forever. Instead she focused on Olivia, got her settled so that she could spend a few hours alone with Ruby just to talk and explain things. She felt stupid for coming back but felt even more stupid that she ran away. She knew she had to run before the truth got out. If she had stayed things would have turned ugly really ugly. Each day Charlie lived in the city she regretted leaving. She longed for Liv to meet Ruby and her daddy but as time passed it got harder to return. Now she was back well she didn’t entirely expect to be welcomed with open arms although she was surprised at Brax’s reaction. Ruby’s reaction – she had already guessed this would have happened, Charlie just didn’t know how she would have made it all better.

Leah texted Charlie later that night to say she and VJ would be staying the night at Summer Bay house which meant Charlie would have the night to speak to Ruby if she returned. She got Liv asleep and smiled as she watched her youngest daughter sleep peacefully. Carefully she leant down to kiss her daughter’s cheek only for Ruby to have snuck quietly through the door and witness the motherly moment. Charlie turned around to find her eldest daughter with tears in her eyes. She went over to take Ruby’s hand but she pulled away.

”Mum”

Inside Charlie’s heart melted with pride. The first time Ruby called her Mum. Charlie saw the hurt in her daughter’s eyes and knew she and a hell of a lot of explaining to do.

”I’m so sorry Ruby” Charlie tried to hold back her own tears as Ruby brushed beside her to look over at little Olivia. She slept soundly oblivious to anything going on around her.

”Is she...my sister?” Ruby asked stupidly but she glanced into Charlie’s eyes for the first time. Charlie bit her lip and nodded.

”Is that why you left? Because you were pregnant” Charlie nodded again and suddenly Ruby understood why her mum had left her.

”Who’s her dad?” Ruby’s mind cast back to when her ex boyfriend Casey and herself became obsessed with finding out who Charlie was seeing. They never found it out and soon after Charlie left and Casey dumped her Ruby found herself alone with no-one to talk to.

Charlie looked down at the floor as a tear rolled down her eye. Ruby tapped her foot impatiently but glanced around at Olivia and smiled slightly.

”Is it someone I know?”

Charlie nodded again.

”From Summer Bay?” she asked and Charlie bit her lip as Ruby racked her brains.

”Brax. She’s Brax’s baby” Charlie watched as Ruby gasped. She brushed by Charlie hurriedly and sat down on the couch. Charlie followed closely.

”Brax...BRAX?” Ruby found her voice rising and tried to tone it down a bit incase she woke the baby.

”I loved him. I still do” Charlie bit her lip and Ruby laughed out of shock.

”This explains so much. How Casey dumped me after Brax had a word. How could you Charlie? You took off and because of that the only guy I loved dumped me too”

”It wasn’t like that. I and Brax were over before I got pregnant. I had to leave otherwise we were all in danger. Me, Brax, you and I was even worried for the safety of Olivia. I know I shouldn’t have left but I did it to protect you” She paused for breath then continued. ”A cop and a riverboy wouldn’t have ever been accepted and if the boys found out me and Brax could have been dead. I know I shouldn’t have gone but I did it to save everyone”

”And what about Brax does he know about...Olivia?”

”Yeah I came back a few nights ago. To make things right between us and me and you”

”It’s going to take more than a surprise visit with a baby to make things right between us Charlie”

”I know that. I just thought...”

”You thought what? Huh? That you could come back and we’d all act as if nothing happened. Like the past year hadn’t happened. Like I don’t have a baby sister? Like you Brax and your new daughter could play happy families. It just doesn’t work that way” Ruby found herself crying as she spoke the final sentence. ”I missed you so much and you weren’t here”

Charlie took her eldest daughter in for a hug but Ruby froze. Eventually she allowed herself to be hugged by Charlie as she cried into her mum’s arms.

”I’m so sorry Ruby” Charlie sobbed as Ruby cried in her mum’s arms. ”I promise you I’m not going anywhere ever again”

Ruby nodded as she dried her eyes. She looked up at her mum and smiled weakly. Both knew it would take them a long time to recover from this but both were glad they could be in each others lives. The hugged for a while as they didn’t want to let go and face the world. Ruby let go first as a million and one questions popped into her head. Her mum had Brax’s baby? Could it really get any more messed up.

”So” Ruby glanced at her mum with a cheeky twinkle in her eye. ”You and Brax eh?”

”That was a long time ago. He’s got a new girlfriend now”

”Yeah I know” Ruby replied. ”But she’s nothing compared to you”

Charlie smiled.

”Even though I’m old, going grey with a teen and a baby and still carrying baby weight”

”Uh huh” Ruby grinned.

”Look Rubes he’s moved on. He said he wants to see Liv when he can but there’s nothing more to it than that” Charlie replied firmly noticing Ruby’s face becoming crestfallen. ”What about you? Any other boyfriends I should ban you from seeing?”

”Nah and even if you did you might just hook up with their older brother instead” Ruby replied cheekily resulting in a pillow being thrown at her. ”I’m happily single and I’m focusing on the future which you’ll be glad to know...”

Ruby went on to continue to be interrupted by the youngest Buckton’s cries. Charlie glanced at Ruby who told her to go get the baby. Charlie returned a few minutes later cuddling Olivia into her chest as she gurgled in her mammy’s arms. Ruby smiled at how Charlie bonded with the baby but still couldn’t help but feel a pang of jealousy as she noticed how close they were.

”Can I hold her?” Ruby asked to the surprise of Charlie.

”Of course”

Charlie handed Olivia to Ruby and watched as Ruby nestled Olivia close to her chest. Charlie felt overwhelmed at seeing the sight she never thought she’d see and ended up shedding a few tears of happiness. Ruby glanced up from Olivia to her mum who she found wiping her eyes. She frowned a little.

”Charlie are you okay?”

”Yeah there just tears of happiness”

Ruby grinned and glanced back down at Olivia.

”Hello little sis! I’m the coolest person you’re ever going to meet so just you remember that whenever we’re having a screaming match. I’ll be here whenever you want to talk about make-up or clothes or boys. You’re lucky you have the best mum in the world. And the best sister in the world”

Olivia gurgled and giggled in Ruby’s arms as Ruby giggled too.

”She likes you Rubes”

”I’m glad your back. I know it’ll take time but I’m just glad to have you back. Please don’t go away again mum”

Charlie shuffled up beside Ruby and Olivia and kissed the top of Ruby’s hair.

”Well unfortunately for you” she started noticing her eldest daughter’s face had began to fall a little. ”You’re going to have to put up with us for a very very long time”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile Tegan Callaghan sat on the beach furiously stabbing sticks into the sand. She replayed today’s events, meeting the one girl that Darryl Braxton had ever loved and gritted her teeth. She saw how much Brax was glad just to have her around and she knew she’d have to hold him back with both hands to stop him from going back to the girl who broke her heart. She didn’t know how until...could she really be that evil? Tegan scooped up her things grinning at her plan to make Brax her man forever...

• 4 weeks later...

Thankyou soo much for the comments! They all mean so much to read and I’m glad you enjoy reading it :) sorry it's been soo long for an update I'm just really really lazy :P

Chapter 18

The next morning was strange for Charlie. For once she woke up to Olivia crying and felt happy. She walked out of her room with a massive smile on her face as she ruffled her hair. Ruby sat cross legged on the couch startled by Charlie’s arrival. She turned around and smiled sheepishly knowing it was too soon to forgive Charlie completely. Charlie sheepishly smiled back as she pulled her hair into a tight bun reminding her of her days as a police officer. Sighing she pulled the bobble out and turned back to her room and grasped Olivia in her arms as she tended to her youngest daughter’s cries. Charlie turned back into the living room making her way to the kitchen when Ruby spoke.

”I still can’t believe I have a baby sister” she said as she turned off the TV and spun round.

”I’m sorry I didn’t tell you” Charlie replied as she sat down on the couch next to Ruby.

”I don’t blame you though” Ruby admitted. ”For not telling me”

”Why’s that Rubes?” Charlie asked in confusion.

”Because I’m Summer Bay’s second biggest gossip! Infact Kyle asked me if I was Colleen Smart’s granddaughter”

Charlie laughed as she thought of Colleen and Ruby related and how they’d gossip about everyone in the bay together. This annoyed Ruby a little but even she found the funny side eventually.

”it could have been worse” Charlie spluttered eventually as Olivia caught up in the laughing sounds the older girls were making, started to gurgle and scream hysterically which only made Charlie and Ruby laugh even more. Eventually they calmed down as Ruby questioned Charlie on what she meant.

”How could it have been worse?”

”This Kyle guy who sounds suspiciously like a boyfriend or soon to be boyfriend that I need to meet and interrogate” Charlie grinned at her daughter who blushed slightly.

”You making a point here Charles?”

”Yeah yeah I’m getting to it” Charlie continued. ”He could have asked if you were her daughter!”

The two girls giggled again as Ruby excused herself to go to the kitchen. Charlie cuddled Olivia close to her chest as Olivia stared wide-eyed back at her mother and tried grabbing the necklace that Charlie always wore on her neck. Charlie stared down at the necklace as reality hut her. The first and last gift that Brax gave her for her birthday. She hid it under her robe which annoyed Olivia and called out to Ruby in the kitchen.

”So do you fancy doing something today?” Charlie prayed for a yes as she wanted to make things right with Ruby.

Ruby came through from the kitchen as she ran her fingers through her wavy hair and tied it up into a ponytail. She rooted around on the coffee table for her keys.

”I’m sorry but I’ve got to go to work” she replied as she struggled to find her keys. ”Maybe tonight though?”

”You work?” Charlie was quite taken aback as she remembered the struggle it took Ruby to get a simple Saturday job when Charlie was around. Ruby was lazy and liked to sleep. She’d have probably been fired within the first week anyway.

”Yeah it’s to help me through Uni and Leah needs help at the Diner so I’ve been helping out there since.. Ruby couldn’t bring herself to say when. ”I thought it’d make you proud”

”I’m always proud of you. Don’t ever doubt that for a second” Charlie replied awkwardly as Ruby found her keys. She smiled awkwardly back at Charlie but avoided the follow up to her mums answer.

”So what have you got planned today?” Ruby asked hurriedly changing the subject to something much less awkward.

”I don’t know yet. I might go see Bianca and catch-up with her. I saw a few of your friends the last day. You know April, Xavier”

”Yeah they’ve all been there for me. Me, April and Dex all go to Uni so we see each other alot more than I see Xavier and Kate. They both work at Brax’s”

Ruby waited for a reaction as she mentioned Brax’s name but got no reaction from Charlie who smiled at Ruby and nodded before devoting her attention to her youngest daughter. Ruby smiled witnessing the scene as she glanced at the clock.

”I better go” she rose and put on her jacket. ”Goodbye”

She dithered whether to kiss Charlie on the cheek or hug her but decided against the idea as Charlie watched her walk out the door. She waved hurriedly as she practically ran to the diner. Charlie glanced around the empty house sighing a little. She got herself and Olivia changed before walking out the door and making her way to Bianca’s.

She knocked on the door as she thought of what to say once Bianca opened the door. A simple Hi just wouldn’t do it, especially since she had gone for a year. Sighing she waited impatiently for the door to be answered tapping her foot and glancing at her watch. At last someone answered as Charlie gaped wondering if she had knocked at the right door or not.

”Tegan” she spoke as the blonde girl towel dried her hair obviously just got out of the shower. She smiled smugly which sent shivers through Charlie’s spine. Glancing down at Olivia, Tegan cooed a little as Charlie rocked her babies pram clearly unimpressed.

”Ahh Charlotte isn’t it?” her smile faded and became quite fierce. ”What are you doing here?”

”I came to see Bianca is she here?”

”She doesn’t live here anymore but come in I need your help with something” she smiled smugly again which annoyed Charlie who became confused at what she could help Tegan with but felt obligated to step into the house.

Irene’s place stayed the same which pleased Charlie although she wasn’t impressed that this Tegan girl was staying there. She sat down on the couch wondering what she had to say and with all her might tried not to lunge for the girl. She got Olivia out of the pram and cuddled her close, this way she couldn’t scream at the girl.

”So what do you want?”

Tegan laughed a little before darting her blue eyes towards Charlie which scared her a little. She rocked Olivia breaking off eye contact with Tegan.

”I’ll just get straight to the point then shall I?”

Charlie nodded vaguely as Tegan flung the towel on the floor and ran her fingers through her wet hair.

”Here’s the thing Charlotte” again Charlie cringed at her full name being used. ”I want you to leave”

”But you invited me in?” Charlie replied confused.

Tegan laughed sarcastically and rolled her eyes a little.

”Brax never did go for brains did he? Always the same girl: good job, pretty, skinny” she glanced again quite jealous of the hold Charlie had over her man without even dating him. ”I want you to leave the bay”

Charlie spluttered a little as she placed Olivia back into her pram.

”You what?” she laughed thinking it was a joke. ”You’re not serious?”

”Oh deadly. You see Charlotte when you left the Bay it was possibly the happiest day of my life. I mean back in mangrove river Heath told me that Brax was dating someone and let’s just say that didn’t go down to well with me. So here I am with the man I’ve dated on and off for ten years and we’re finally happy together and you’re back. With the kid I’m not convinced is Brax’s. So if you leave the bay with the money I keep under my bed and take the kid with you then me and Brax can raise our own family together”

Charlie wasn’t sure if she was hearing right as she stared at Tegan confused.

”She is Brax’s” Charlie replied fiercely. ”And I belong in the bay a hell of a lot more than you do. And you may have dated Brax for ten years. But I had his kid and he’s going to be a great dad to her. And if you’re so happy then why did he kiss me the night I came back?” she clapped her hand over her mouth as Tegan’s eyes widened. ”I’m sorry I should go” she rose and headed towards the door.

”He still loves you you know that right?” Tegan called behind her. Charlie’s heart skipped a beat when she spoke these words. ”Ever since you came back he doesn’t care about me no more”

”I’m sure that’s not true”

”Well it is. And I love him so I’m going to do what the hell I can to keep him mine”

”Goodbye Tegan” Charlie banged the door shut, slightly uncomfortably at the conversation she had with Brax’s new girlfriend. Looking down at Liv, Charlie cooed a little before wheeling her away.

”We’re going to go see Aunty Bianca and then daddy aren’t we sweetie”

Olivia gurgled as Charlie pushed the pram. The only problem is Charlie didn’t know where Bianca lived no more. Vaguely she remembered a previous conversation about Bianca and April moving out to live with Roo and Liam. Smiling she wheeled in that direction not looking forward to the interrogation she was about to face.

Charlie knocked on the door feeling nervous for a second time. She heard a familiar voice shout just a minute as Charlie tapped her foot impatiently. Bianca opened the door and gasped.

”Charlie?”

”Surprise!”

Bianca squealed and grabbed Charlie and hugged the life out of her. She wiped a few tears from her eyes and grinned at Charlie.

”You owe me a an explaination Buckton!” she said firmly and tried to keep her face straight but couldn’t. Looking behind Charlie at the pram she leant into the pram as Olivia tried to grab Bianca’s hair. Bianca held Olivia’s little fingers as she freed her hair. Turning back to Charlie she grinned again.

”You have a LOT of explaining to do”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

”I can’t believe it, you and Brax have a kid!” Bianca said as she sipped her coffee. ”You and Brax detest each other”

”Opposites attract” Charlie spoke sadly as she gazed at Olivia who was cuddled into Bianca’s arms.

”She’s beautiful” Bianca spoke. ”I can’t believe she’s half Braxton”

”Sometimes I can’t either”

”So has Brax seen her. And what about Ruby? Do they know you’re back?”

”I’ve been back a few days. I kept myself hidden until I saw Leah, Brax, Ruby and you. I saw Brax and Leah the first night I got here. Leah was glad I was back but I could tell she wasn’t happy me lumbering her with Ruby so I’ve got a lot of making up to do” Charlie rambled. ”And as for Brax...we kissed”

”WHAT?” Bianca squealed as Charlie covered her face. ”He’s got a girlfriend!”

Charlie sighed.

”I know I know but he kissed me”

”And did you respond?”

”I love him Bianca I really do”

”Oh Charlie”

”I saw his girlfriend a few times actually. She seems...nice” Charlie didn’t want to offend after only just meeting the girl.

”I hate her.” Bianca replied fiercely as Charlie looked confused.

”Why?”

”Well Irene took her in when she came here and I still lived with her. Total nightmare to live with! Kept using all the hot water, hogging the bathroom, eating the last of the cereal and if that wasn’t enough I saw her make eyes at Liam when he came over! Me and April moved here so now it’s Irene and Tegan and mostly Bra...” Bianca stopped herself.

”Brax.” Charlie spoke as Bianca shifted uncomfortably. ”I’m a big girl. What we had is gone and the only reason I’m here is for Ruby and to give Olivia a better life. I love him and I probably always will but he’s got a girlfriend and I’m not being the other woman”

The two girls sat in silence for a few moments.

”So what about you?” Charlie asked. ”Any secret relationships or pregnancies I should know about? Or even just a years full of gossip?” Charlie saw Bianca’s eyes light up.

”Well since you aaasked” Bianca began as she talked Charlie’s ears off for the next century on the “excitement” of Summer Bay.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tegan sat at home fuming after the conversation with Charlie previously. Sighing she switched on her phone desperate to call Brax and keep him at home forever so he couldn’t see them ever again. Tegan knew how it worked in the movies. She was the bad guy and sooner or later she’d end up alone watching the three of them play happy families. She glanced from the clock to the door before picking up the phone and dialling.

”Hey baby

”Tegan I’m working what do you want?”

”I just wanted to hear your voice” Tegan grinned waiting for his reply. Brax sighed on the other end.

”I don’t have time for this” he got ready to hang up the phone.

”Wait!” Tegan protested. Brax sighed again but kept on the line. ”I had a visitor earlier”

”Is this really necessary”

”It was Charlie”

Brax could feel his heart beating faster as Tegan mentioned her name. He smiled on the other end of the phone, relieved Tegan wasn’t telling him face to face.

”Really? Charlie was over” Brax replied. Tegan sighed as his voice rose a little, obviously excited Charlie was round. Brax wished he could stop the massive smile on his face but he couldn’t.

”Yeah so I erm...just thought I’d tell you” she replied fiercely. ”Goodbye”

She hung up the phone not giving Brax the chance to say goodbye. But Brax didn’t care – his mind was in Charlie overdrive now. Smiling and whistling he returned to his work wondering when he would next see Charlie and Olivia. Tegan slipped to the back of his mind but not Brax to the back of Tegan’s. She wanted Brax to herself and she wanted Charlie out of the picture. It was easier said than done with a child involved but Tegan smiled smugly. She’d get her man somehow...

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments! Wrote some of this last night but only got around to finishing it up today Thanks for reading everyone your comments are all amazing xx

Chapter 19

Charlie arrived home having spent her afternoon listening to the ins and outs on every single person’s life in the bay. Once Liv had realised that the attention was no longer on her she whimpered every so often so that the two grown up’s would stop and smother her in cuddles. Charlie begun to realise just how much she had missed. She was stupid for thinking she wouldn’t have missed much. Heath was jailed, she’d messed up her daughter’s relationship and she had a child with a man she was in love with but he loved someone else. Her life was messed up. She knew that and she knew she had a lot of explaining to do.

Glancing down at Liv, Charlie often wondered if having her was the right idea. She always thought if she had another baby she’d be in a committed relationship and that they could all be a happy family. She’d be stupid to think that now. Tegan wasn’t going to give up without a fight. Charlie kept her feet firmly on the ground. She was back for herself, for Ruby and to give Olivia a better life than City life. She wasn’t back for Brax – she’d just love him from a distance.

”Hey did you see Bianca?” Ruby asked darting from the living room into the kitchen where Charlie struggled to wheel the buggy in. Immediately Ruby picked Olivia up and cradled her from side to side making funny faces as she did so. Olivia, liking this new game, began to coo excitedly which only made Ruby smile more.

”That’s my little sister”

Charlie nodded, leaning the majority of her weight onto the counter as she watched Ruby cradle Liv. She smiled, her mind wandering elsewhere.

”It’s weird being back” she found herself saying out loud to her horror. Ruby glanced up nodding slightly.

”But you are staying though aren’t you?” she looked worried which only made Charlie smile even more.

”I’m not going anywhere Rubes” She smiled urging herself closer to her two daughters. She placed her arms around Ruby’s shoulders and cuddled her close. Ruby, reluctant at first stayed stiff but soon enough even she lay against her mum’s arms.

”I’m sorry Rubes I really am. I shouldn’t have left in the middle of your HSC or even left you at all. It was totally selfish of me. Charlie sighed wishing she could undo the whole mess she’d gotten herself into.

”I’m sorry too, for the way I treated you when I saw you. I dunno I guess it was just shock that’s all”

”You have nothing to be sorry for” Charlie guided her daughter’s face to meet her own.

”And neither do you. I’m just relieved you came back especially with Olivia. I understand why you left Charles but that doesn’t mean I’m gonna hate you for the rest of your life”

Charlie nodded, Ruby smiled as she leant her head against her mothers shoulder.

”Besides you’ve got enough on your plate with Brax, I just want to support you”

Charlie grinned as Ruby broke away from the hug with Olivia still in her arms.

”Can I take her for a walk? I mean it’d be nice to show off the Bay’s cutest arrival” Ruby grinned not taking her eyes of Olivia.

”Of course Rubes, I’ve gotta go see somebody anyway”

”Brax?” Ruby sounded hopeful. Charlie nodded a little which pleased her immensely.

”We just need to talk about Olivia. Just a nice adult conversation on our own”

Ruby nodded and placed Olivia in her pram before beginning to wheel her out the door.

”I’ve got my mobile if you need me but we’ll probably be back before you” She called as she wheeled the pram down the garden. Charlie sighed before waiting a few minutes to head out the door. Glancing at her watch she wondered whether to go see him now or wait until tonight. Deciding that she couldn’t wait any longer to sort out the mess they were both in, she picked up her keys and made her way to the bar.

By now near enough the whole of Summer Bay knew she was back thanks to Colleen, Leah and Ruby. Charlie found herself being smiled at and stopped to ask her a million and one questions about life away from the bay. At first it was polite answers to everyone she came across, John, Gina, Roo, Sid but by the time it got to Colleen’s first encounter with her she began to get irritated. Glancing at Ruby who was showing of Olivia to April and Dex she found herself tuning out of Colleen’s conversation.

”Now who’s the father of your little baby”

Charlie sighed having found the wrong moment to snap back into reality.

”I’m sorry Colleen but that’s none of your business” She began to walk away before Colleen stopped her once more.

”Does that mean I know him?”

”I never implied anything of the sort Colleen” Charlie walked away faster leaving Colleen to become detective and solve the case of Who’s Charlie’s Baby’s Daddy? Finally she reached Angelo’s. She saw Brax reading the paper alone in one of the Booths. No-one was around meaning they had the chance to talk. Boy they needed it. Charlie found her steps became smaller and shakier and her stomach must have flipped a hundred times from seeing him to standing near him. Brax glanced up.

”Hey” He smiled lightly as if he was pleased to see her. ”Where’s Olivia?”

”Oh erm Ruby wanted to show her off to all her friends”

Brax nodded.

”So what are you doing here then?” He didn’t mean to put it so blunt, infact he was dreading having to speak with Charlie alone.

”We need to talk Brax”

”I know we do Charlie”

Charlie took a seat next to Brax as he closed his paper. They sat as far apart than they could, scared to give in to the feelings they both knew they still had.

”So” Charlie began lost for words. She saw the corner’s of Brax’s mouth twitch as he giggled.

”This is awkward eh?” He scratched his head as Charlie giggled awkwardly too.

”I want you to be a part of Olivia’s life”

”Well I want that too Charlie more than ever.” He gazed into her eyes, for a moment becoming lost in how beautiful they were.

”I know you do. That’s why I’m here” She took a deep breath.”But I’d be kidding myself if I thought I was over you”

Brax sighed, inside his heart was jumping for joy. But life was never so simple.

”Well I’d be kidding myself if I said I was over you too because I’m not. But I’m with Tegan now and I can’t hurt her again Charlie”

”I know we have a daughter together but I think it’s best if we try to see each other as little as possible. It’s too hard Brax”

”I know Charlie but Summer Bay’s a pretty small town. We can’t avoid each other not now with Olivia to consider and we’ll obviously see each other when I’m spending time with my daughter”

”I know. Everything’s so messed up and pretty soon they’re all going to find out that I have a kid with you. Charlie sighed burying her head in her hands. ”Maybe it would have been better if I didn’t come back”

”Hey hey” Brax shushed her quite fiercely. ”Who cares what other people think Charlie? I don’t not anymore and neither should you. All I know is that I’m glad your back I really am” Brax could feel himself moving closer to Charlie and tried with all he had not to get any closer.

Their faces only a couple of centimetres apart, both would be lying if they felt comfortable with the position they were in. Without thinking Brax placed his hand on Charlie’s hand. Becoming all to aware of the situation Charlie pulled away.

”I’m sorry Brax I’ve got to go”

He nodded sadly as Charlie pondered whether to tell Brax about Tegan. She didn’t though, as much as she wanted to she knew that people in love could do crazy things. Charlie turned around to walk away but the one question on her mind replayed itself a thousand times until she said it out loud.

”Do you love her?” She asked, not really wanting to hear the answer. ”Tegan?”

She couldn’t turn around to look at him incase the tears fell from her eyes. There was silence in the room for a moment as Brax answered.

”Nowhere near as much as I love you”

Charlie nodded, a small smile beginning to appear over her face. She still couldn’t bring herself to look at him. Instead she kept on walking, pass the beach, pass the diner and just straight home to think.

Thanks so much for the comments they are all amazing :)

Chapter 20

Colleen walked into the Diner, a bee obviously in her bonnet. There Bianca and Leah chatted secretly about Charlie’s return. Leah rolled her eyes as she saw the look on Colleen’s face. After working years with the woman she knew exactly what that look meant she wanted to know something and she wasn’t going to stop until she found out what it was.

”Oh Leah I’m glad your here”

”Well I do work here Colleen” Leah muttered sarcastically but Colleen had interrupted her mid-sentence.

”I’ve just bumped into Sergeant...”

”Ex Sergeant” Bianca interrupted them before handing Leah over her money. ”I gotta go see you tonight?”

With that she left Colleen and Leah alone. Bianca chucked as she left the diner thinking of the dozens of questions Colleen would bombard Leah with.

”She’s got a kid as well, god knows how with how badly she takes care of her eldest” Colleen muttered only loud enough for Leah to here.

”Okay that’s enough Colleen, you don’t know the half of it” Leah snapped, in no mood to listen to any more of Colleen’s conspiracies.

”Well why don’t you tell me the other half...I can keep a secret you know” Colleen sounded hopeful. Leah laughed, before finishing the final touches of the salad she was preparing. Not replying to Colleen’s ridiculous answer she handed the plate to Colleen.

”Table Six”

Colleen opened her mouth to protest but after seeing the glares she got from Leah she decided not to bother. Never mind she thought to herself. All would be revealed in its own time anyway.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Charlie sat alone in the house thinking about her encounter with Brax. Ruby and Leah were both still at work or with the baby which left Charlie with only her thoughts. Brax was the only one on her mind, his words confused her more than ever. Sighing, she rose and made her way to the kitchen to find something for dinner. She was interrupted by a knock at the door.

”Erm hi” the young guy smiled at her awkwardly before glancing around to see if he’d come to the right house. ”Is Ruby here?”

”No she should be back any minute though do you want to come in and wait?”

”Yeah that’d be great” he smiled before stepping in the house. He stuck out his hand politely. ”I’m Kyle”

”I’m Charlie” She shook his hand politely.

”Charlie” He looked confused before the realisation dawned on him. ”Am I right in thinking you’re Ruby’s mum?”

”Yep you certainly are”

”Oh my god you know she’s told me so much about you”

”She’s told me a bit about you too”

He blushed a little as Charlie tried to hide her smiles. Just at that moment Ruby wheeled Olivia through the door, a huge smile on her face.

”Kyle?” she spoke as the smile on her face widened. ”Charlie this is..”

”I know Rubes” She smiled at her eldest daughter before scooping up Olivia in her arms.

”I didn’t know you had a sister Rubes” Kyle spoke a little confused.

”Neither did I until a few days ago” she sounded happy as she wrapped her arms around him. Charlie smiled as her and Olivia left the kitchen to leave the pair alone.

”I’ll call you I just need to catch up with Charlie for a few days” she spoke apologetically.

”Yeah no worries you look so much like your mum you know” he grinned as he watched Charlie cuddle Liv in the living room. ”See you soon Rubes”

he broke off from the hug and held her hand. Ruby waved her goodbyes at him before closing the door in a happy daydream. She could hear Charlie talking to Olivia in the front room.

”And that was Ruby’s boyfriend wasn’t it baby...no , no boyfriends for Olivia until you’re a lot older than mummy” she grinned as Olivia babbled in response. ”Yes that’s right baby no boys are worth the hassle!”

”He’s not my boyfriend” Ruby giggled as she joined Charlie on the couch. Focusing on Olivia she cooed ”And nobody wants to end up a sad old spinster like mummy do we baby” she giggled once more as Olivia tried to laugh, making cutest little sounds. Charlie pretended to be offended as Ruby cuddled into her shoulder to apologize.

”He likes you Rubes”

”You really think so?”

”I saw the saw he looked at you and I know you like him too”

”I don’t know Charles I think we’re better off as friends”

”And what happens if he got with someone else even though you know you love him and he loves you but no life never works out that way because life’s complicated Rubes and you think you can come back and everything can slot into place but it doesn’t and you don’t know where you stand whether he wants to be with you or whether he’s happily in love with his new girlfriend even though he’s sending you mixed signals” she paused for breath before trying to continue before Ruby interrupted her.

”So you went to see Brax then?” she looked up into Charlie’s eyes. ”I’m sorry Charles”

”Don’t be” Charlie whispered. ”We could never work anyway”

”Well I gotta admit it came as a shock to me when I found out you were once together”

”I love him Rubes...that’s why you’ve got to do something if you want to be with Kyle then tell him before he slips through your fingers, he’s not gonna wait for you forever”

Ruby nodded.

”Do you mind if I nip out for ten minutes? I need to Kyle”

Charlie grinned, her advice obviously working.

”Go get him Rubes”

She grinned before rushing out of the room excitedly. She returned blowing raspberries to Liv before bounding out the door. The sun was just beginning to go down as Ruby saw him walking on the beach. She slowed down to catch her breath, adjusted her hair before walking down onto the sand.

”Hey Ruuub” he tried to speak before he was interrupted as Ruby leant in to kiss him. He smiled as she broke away from the kiss. ”I erm...erm” he began nervous as he took her hands.

”I want us to be together Kyle Ruby gazed into his eyes as she held both his hands. ”It was hard to just be friends”

”Well it was for both of us...I’ve wanted to tell you how I felt for so long” He said as she stroked her hair. ”So does that mean I can kiss you again?”

”Hmmm” Ruby pondered mischievously. ”Well I’ll have to think about that...”

They grinned at one another as Kyle leant in to kiss her, running his fingers through her hair as he picked her up and she wrapped is legs around his waist. The sun was beginning to set behind them and the water broke peacefully. They broke off from the kiss, as they walked down the beach.

”So what made you do this?” Kyle asked as he slipped his hand into hers.

”Oh just some good advice from my mum”

”Yeah well I know I don’t know her, but I’m extremely happy she’s back in town” he grinned as Ruby squeezed his hand tightly. She leant her head against his shoulder as they walked.

”Me too” she replied, a huge smile appearing across her face. "Me too baby"

Archived