Why does C5 only show old episodes from 2000 onwards?

Guest Light of the Bay

So basically Channel 5 cannot be bothered to cough up the money to aquire the rights to Early episodes?..

You could put it like that, but at the same time, even as a H&A fan, if I owned a TV channel, I'm not sure they'd be that high up my list of acquisitions.

So basically Channel 5 cannot be bothered to cough up the money to aquire the rights to Early episodes?..

You could put it like that, but at the same time, even as a H&A fan, if I owned a TV channel, I'm not sure they'd be that high up my list of acquisitions.

And why would they spend the money? New episodes get less viewers than Neighbours so why spend money on old ones. I know some people would watch them but I would only watch it if they showed them all in order. I hate the random old episodes they show on breaks. Last time we had two completely different Josh Wests in two episodes. And no story is followed up.

^ I think that may be the problem the overseas networks consider, thus the reason classic Neighbours or H&A haven't been picked up in recent years. Will it bring in enough viewers for them to make a profit threw advertising? What do you reckon there would be around 200,000 regular viewers of classic H&A in the UK? Maybe less? I have no idea about the UK TV ratings. Whereas, presumably, 7TWO already own the rights to H&A so its hardly costing them anything.

I know that during the first week or so the Early Years on 7TWO were getting around 30,000 (at 9.30am) in the ratings - who knows what the ratings are like these days but I'd say they haven't changed or they are slightly less. I'm sure if they moved it to late afternoon it would be quite popular since young adults and kids are more likely to be home - as it is it seems to be being aimed at stay at home mums or the retired.

When ABC3 aired Heartbreak High in prime time they were getting around 90,000 and it was pulled from the schedules less that a year later.

Archived