As Long As I Have You

Guest callyha

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you so much guys for the :wub: comments. They mean so much :D

Sorry this took a while to post, had other things going on in personal life

Chapter 46

Charlie opened the door to find Ruby stood on the other side, red faced and teary eyed "Ruby?" Charlie gasped

"I know I shouldn't just show up like this, but can I come in?" Ruby asked, fighting her tears

"Yea of course" Charlie moved aside and let Ruby in "what's happened?" Charlie asked as she and Ruby took a seat on the couch

Composing herself the best she could, Ruby looked to Charlie "Nan had a heart attack"

"Oh my god" Charlie moved closer to Ruby

"She's fine" Ruby quickly said "It was only considered a small one, doctors have said she'll be fine" Ruby wiped her face

"But still, a heart attack" Charlie said, handing Ruby a tissue so she wouldn't have to use her sleeve anymore

"That's not it though" Ruby shook her head as she blew her nose "you know Issy is planning on becoming a journalist?" Charlie nodded "she's been accepted into Uni in New Zealand. Mum and dad have made the decision to move there" Ruby looked to Charlie through her tear-stained eyes and saw the look on Charlie's face; she was crushed

"New Zealand" Charlie echoed

"Yea" Ruby replied "Dan is leaving school next year and he can get into the same Uni as Issy so he can study Physics" Ruby wiped her face once more "I don't want to go. I want to stay here, where I've lived my entire life"

"You have to go with your family Rubes" Charlie said, holding onto her own tears

"Its not fair" Ruby shook her head "its just not" Ruby sniffed back more tears and looked across to Charlie, once more seeing the look on her face "I want to be here for you"

"What?" Charlie blurted out, looking to Ruby who simply wiped her face once more "you can't stay in Australia just because of me Ruby, I'm nothing to you if you think about it" Charlie replied "I mean, Sally, Paul they're your parents" Charlie began "and Dan and Issy are your brother and sister"

"I know they are, and they always will be" Ruby replied "but I'm not going to ignore the fact that I have found an extension on to my family" Ruby made her way further into the room and sat on the couch "I don't see why mum, dad and I have to go to New Zealand; Issy can stay in the Uni house, find a little job to keep her living and she can fly back home for the holidays, or we could go out there" Ruby suggested

"That sounds good in theory Ruby, but the cost" Charlie pointed out "the flight here to there would soon add up and cost alot of money"

"But I don't want to go" Ruby spoke -near whisper. Her eyes filling with tears as she thought of leaving behind Charlie and the new chapter in her life Charlie could bring.

"I know you don't, but you have too" Charlie replied, holding on to her own tears which she could barely contain "you can always call me" Charlie suggested

"I know" Ruby nodded "but its not the same really is it? when I'm here, I know I can meet you whenever and I know I don't have that far to go. If I have to ring you, I could miss you been at home" Ruby spoke with sadness in her voice and in her eyes, the idea of moving out of the country was something she hated having to think about

~*~

Ruby composed herself as she walked back to the house. She wiped her face from the risidual tears that gathered on her cheeks and splashed some water from the fountain on to her face and ran her wet hand through her hair to make it seem like she had been for a swim. Inside the house she could hear Sally and Paul talking about something; probably the best place to move to when they go to New Zealand.

"Ruby? is that you?" Sally shouted as she heard the front door close

"Yea" Ruby replied as she headed for the stairs

"Could you come in here please" Sally asked. Ruby angrily walked back down the two steps she had gone up and headed for the front room "Ruby" Sally smiled, looking to her daughter who had placed a false smile on her face "where've you been?"

"Out" Ruby replied, not really wanting to talk to anyone

"We know you're upset about leaving the Bay, but its the best thing for all of us" Sally smiled

"Is it?" Ruby questioned "I mean, you had always said you would let Dan, Issy and me go to any Uni we wanted to and we could have the freedom of you not been around. Why suddenly have you changed your minds and saying we have to move? what if I don't want to move?"

"You're not thinking about the rest of us Ruby" Sally replied "Your dad and I had sat and thought long and hard about this; with Issy at the Uni there, and Dan going there next term, it makes sense for us to go" Sally explained "your dad has got an interview lined up already and I can keep doing my work from home"

"So everyone has the thing they want except for me. Like always" Ruby scoffed "I don't want to go, so what are you going to do about that?" Ruby folded her arms and glared at Sally and Paul

"Don't you talk to me like that young lady" Sally replied

"Why shouldn't I? Moving to New Zealand was something you never wanted to do, I was sitting right there when you said that to all three of us!" Ruby pointed to the seat in question "I know what it is" Ruby realised "It's becasue Charlie and I are getting closer isn't it?" Ruby looked to Sally and Paul, who instantly broke eye contact with Ruby and looked to each other "oh my god, it is" Ruby realised "you're jealous"

"We're not jealous Ruby" Paul replied

"I think you are; I mean, every day that passes, the gap between us is getting smaller; its hard to think that we've had thirteen years apart" Ruby spoke happily when she spoke of Charlie

"She's my birth mum, I have a right to keep seeing her and she has a right to keep seeing me"

"No she doesn't" Sally sobbed "the day she gave you away, she gave all rights to you away"

"She was a fourteen year old girl who was made to do something she didn't want to do! and I can sympathise with her; I've been forced into moving to New Zealand and I don't want to go" Ruby looked to Paul and sally

"Ruby" Paul calmly said as Sally wept into a tissue "please understand this who situation with Charlie from our point of view" Paul moved closer to Ruby, who had taken a seat on the couch with her arms still folded "we know Charlotte didn't want to give you up, we know she would had loved to raise you and stay with you, we know all that. And that is what's making this harder for me and your mum; she has fourteen years of anger towards the fact that she was denied the chance of raising her first born; she had connected with you when she was pregnant: your mum and I could see that, even Ross and the other doctors in the hospital could"

"So why make the adopiton so she couldn't get visitation rights?" Ruby asked "if you were so scared that Charlie and I would meet and develop some sort of relationship, why help me find her?"

"You had the right to find her" Paul answered

"But I don't have to right to stay in Australia"

"Not at thirteen you don't" Paul replied, shaking his head

"This sucks" Ruby shook her head as a tear rolled down her face "don't you trust me enough?"

"Trust has got nothing to do with it" Paul replied

"You guys just don't like Charlie" Ruby replied sadly "I don't get why though; she gave you a baby that she never wanted to part with in the first place"

"I don't get why you are defending Charlie like this" Sally piped up "weren't you only crying over what she had told you about who your biological father was a few weeks ago? you didn't believe her?"

"I did believe her. Its the fact that she still wanted me, she still loved me even after soemthign so horrible" Ruby raised her voice "I'm not going to New Zealand, I'm staying right here" Ruby stormed off out of the room and into her own bedroom

"What are we going to do?" Sally asked as she looked to Paul

"She could see right through you" Paul looked to Sally and then to the door which Ruby had slammed "you can't keep them apart Sal, they're biologically connected"

"So?" Sally replied "I raised Ruby, I clothed her, I was the one who tended to her when she was sick"

"And Charlie would have done the same if she had been able to keep her daughter" Paul said

"Ruby is my daughter, and if you think I'm going to let Charlotte weasle her way into my daughters life, you've got another thing coming" Sally rose to her feet and made her way out of the door. The front door slammed shut and the sound of the car starting cause Paul to realise sally was about to do something stupid.

"Where did mum go?" Ruby asked as she ran into the front room, panting

"To cause trouble I think" Paul replied as he grabbed the set of keys for Issy's car "where does Charlie live?"

"I'll come with you" Ruby headed out of the door first "come on"

~*~

Brax walked back into the front room carrying a bowl full of popcorn and a huge bottle of cherryade. He placed them on the table infront of the couch and sat besdie Charlie who had paused the film on TV, waiting for Brax to settle himself down.

"Ready?" Charlie asked as she looked to Brax amusingly

"Yup" Brax smiled as he reached forward and grabbed the bowl of popcorn and rested it on his lap "ready"

"This isn't scary is it?" Charlie asked as she pressed play

"You've never seen The Texas Chainsaw Massacre?" Brax asked, looking to Charlie in disbelief

"I didn't even know there was a chainsaw massacre in Teaxs" Charlie replied

"The remake isn't a good as the original" Brax replied

"Which one are we watching?" Charlie asked

"The 1974 version, the original and best" Brax replied

Leatherface weilded the chainsaw above his head as he chased the girl down the bridal path, she screamed as the sound of the chainsaw got closer to her. Charlie hid behind the cushion, only peeking every so often. Brax's eyes were fixated on the screen, the flashing lights from the TV set allowed Charlie to see Brax's smile at the film

"How can you smile?" Charlie asked

"Shh" Brax placed his finger on Charlie's mouth "she falls, its funny"

The woman on the TV fell and screamed as Leatherface stood above her. Charlie pushed the cushion closer to her face, trying to drown out the screams of the woman and the sound of the chainsaw.

Everything on TV fell silent and Charlie plucked up the courage to remove the cushion from her face. She screamed when there was a knock at the door "God" Charlie placed her hand on her chest, her heart pounding like a train

"Scared?" Brax laughed as he paused the film

"Not funny" Charlie smiled as she headed toward the door, opening it to reveal Sally stood on the other side, not looking at all amused "Sally" Charlie smiled

"Stay away from Ruby" Sally warned

"Excuse me?" Charlie asked

"You heard" Sally said sternly "stay away from Ruby"

"I can't do that" Charlie replied

"Yes you can" Sally nodded "she's my daughter and I will not allow you to take her away from me"

"I know she is your daughter" Charlie replied "and I don't want to take her away from you" Charlie shook her head "aren't you taking her away? to New Zealand?"

"She doesn't want to go" Sally replied "and strangely enough, her argument into not going involved alot of your name being mentioned" Sally folded her arms "care to explain that to me?"

"She came around her a couple of hours ago in tears, saying that she didn't want to go" Charlie replied

"So you never said anything to her about staying her staying here with you? becasue thats what I gathered from what she was saying" Sally glared at Charlie "you gave her up, you haven't been her mother, I have. I know what is best for my daughter"

"I'm not saying you don't" Charlie said "and I never once mentioned that she could stay here, all I said was that I didn't want her to go, but-"

"Ahh, so you have out ideas into her head"

"No-"

"You've just said you didn't want her to go" Sally pointed out

"Well if you'd let me finish" Charlie raised her voice slightly "I said I didn't want her to go, BUT she had to. You and Paul know what is best for her and she might not like it, but you are her parents" Charlie sighed "I know I'm not her mother, you don't have to keep telling me"

"Its just funny" Sally looked to Charlie and then to Brax, who stood in the background "you tell Ruby you don't have any other kids, yet you are pregnant. You tell her that you don't want her to go, yet you don't have anything to do with her. So much fro keeping to your end of the adoption"

"Have you forgotten that she found me?" Charlie asked "as far as I was aware, you and Paul moved away from Summer Bay, saying it was easier to up-root a family with young children comapred to a family with a teenager" Charlie quoted something Sally had said nearly fourteen years ago "all I have done is answer questions Ruby asked me; some of them I never wanted to answer, but did"

"For instance?" Sally asked

"She asked me about my mother and father; I was so close to both of them and I lost them both at a young age" Charlie could feel the tears welling up inside her eyes "she asked me about her biological father; again something I hated talking about"

"The rape" Sally said the word Charlie had hated "its just a word Charlie"

"To you yea, but to me? Its something that will always be with me; I've had to endure tourments because of it. Tricks played on me at school, chants made to make feel like dirt, looks that have made me want to be eaten by the ground" Charlie struggled to hold onto the tears she had in her eyes

"I don't want you anywhere near her" Sally warned once more "understand"

Charlie looked to Sally, hurt and devestated by her words "I understand"

"Mum?" Ruby said as she ran down the path as Paul parked the car "what are you doing?" Ruby looked to sally quickly before laying her eyes on Charlie, who was visible upset "what have you said?"

"Sally" Paul asked as he walked down the path and into the house, joining Sally, Ruby, Brax and Charlie "come, leave"

"No" Sally shook her head "I'm not leaving until I know for sure Charlie is going to do what

I've asked" Sally glared once more to Charlie

"I said I understood, what more do you want?" Charlie asked, close to tears

"What did you ask her?" Ruby asked as she stood inbetween the mother she had grown up with and the mother she was getting to know "tell me"

"I asked her to leave you alone" Sally replied

"What? why?" Ruby asked as she took a step closer to Charlie "why would you say that to her?"

"Becasue look at what she has done Ruby" Sally pointed to herself and Ruby "things between us have never been the same since you foud her and all she has done since then is leave in tears"

"I came home twice in tears; one for finding out the horrible thing that happened to Charlie and the second because I was so angry with myself for running from Charlie after she told me about the baby; I was confused, I didn't know how I was supposed to react or what I was supposed to say"

"That's twice too many" Sally replied "I don't want to loose you Ruby; you're my baby"

"And I always will be, but telling Charlie that she can't talk to or see me again is just cruel" Ruby replied "I love you and dad so much, but I also love Charlie; don't ask me to leave the bay and leave behind a piece of myself"

Sally listened carefully to Ruby and realised that the young girl was talking sense; trying to keep her and Charlie apart was cruel and not going to stop them from cementing a relationship with each other. As she was about to speak, Charlie suddenly hit the ground.

Brax was quick to Charlie's side and tried to rouse her "someone call an ambulance" Brax shouted as he checked that Charlie was still breathing "Charlie?" Brax said softly "baby" Brax ran his hand down Charlie's face and felt that she was clamy

"Is she okay?" Sally asked, kneeling down beside Brax

"She feels clamy, maybe she's just fainted" Brax replied "hows that phone call going?"

"They're on their way" Paul said as he pushed his phone into his pocket and wrapped his arms around Ruby, who never took her eyes off Charlie

Oh, poor Ruby. She just found Charlie, I can understand that she wants to stay in the Bay. I can also understand what her mother is going through, she doesn't want to lose Ruby, and that is normal, but she can't talk to Charlie like that. If Ruby decides to stay in the Bay, it is Ruby's decision. Whatever the agreement between Charlie and Ruby's parents was, Ruby is old enough to make her own decisions now. But if she decides to stay, life will be hard for her. On the other hand, moving to NZ is probably the best decision for the family, with her brother going to college there.

Charlie collapsed, oh dear, I hope she is okay. Probably just stress, I hope it is nothing worse and I hope it doesn't harm the baby. You really left it on a cliffhanger there, I want to know what happens!

Oh, I really like the fact that Brax is okay with him not being the father. I admit, I hoped he would be the father, but I am happy now that he will still be the baby's father no matter what.

Great update, as always. Hope you can find some time to update soon (no pressure though), because I would like to know what happens next! :)

absolutely brilliant update

the whole chapter had me gripped from beginning to end

Charlie and Brax just melt my heart :wub:

fell so bad for ruby and Charlie :(

sally mentioning the rape so casually was really cruel she had no write speaking to Charlie the way she did <_<:angry: ... I can understand her worry when it comes to Charlie and Ruby she must feel like she now as competition but I hope she sees sense

:o Charlie fainting, hope she is ok and really hope the baby is fine would be so devasting if something went wrong now

update really soon, so eager to see what happens in he next chapter

Archived