The Dark Horse

Guest LauraPhilly!!

Wow, thank you so much for your lovely comments!

Usually I would wait awhile until posting the next chapter but this is my favourite part of the story so I was dying to share it with you!

Hope you enjoy it! :wink:

Chapter 61

Iliana watched as Robert studied her. Unsure of her he was, she suspected. She couldn't blame him; he didn't know her, so how could he trust her.

"You're my sister?" he asked, his eyebrows still furrowed with confusion.

Iliana nodded, nervous of his response.

"How do I know you're not just pretending?" he asked his eyes half scared, half nervous.

"Our mother's name is Belle," said Iliana. "I know she came to see you as often as she could. I know that she loved you with all her heart."

"You know my Mum?" he asked, eyes widening with surprise.

"Yes, very well," said Iliana, smiling softly. "She was my Mum too."

"Was?" repeated Robert.

Iliana's smile faltered.

"I'm so sorry, your Mother, our Mother died about a month ago."

Robert's reaction came as such a shock to Iliana.

His face froze for about a second, before he collapsed onto his knees and burst into tears. While Iliana stood there speechless, a nurse ran over to Robert, bent down beside him, and wrapped her arm around his back.

"Robbie, what's wrong?" she asked anxiously.

"My Mummy's dead, Cathy, she's dead!" cried Robert, bursting into tears once more.

The nurse Cathy looked up at Iliana in bewilderment. Iliana nodded to the question that was in her eyes.

"Oh, Robbie," said Cathy, burying her face in his neck. "It's alright sweety."

"No it's not!" cried out Robert, jumping to his feet. He grabbed fistfuls of his hair and Iliana was afraid he was going to pull them out.

"My Mummy's dead and there's nothing you can do about it!"

Picking up the plastic cup on the table beside him, he threw it across the room where it hit the window of the nurse's station.

"Robbie, Robbie sweety, it's going to be ok, just calm down," said Cathy in a soothing voice, holding his hands down forcefully.

"No it's not going to be ok!" cried out Robert, struggling against her grip.

Cathy called for help and quickly two of the doctors had their hands on Robert's arms, holding them down.

"Robert, Robert," said the doctor calmly. "What have we talked about? What do we do when we get upset?"

Robert moaned loudly, continuing to fight against their grip.

"What did we do when your Mummy came to tell you that she was sick? What did we do Robbie?"

Iliana watched as she saw Robert finally begin to calm down. She saw his arms relaxing, his breath returning to normal pace and his face return to calmness.

"We take deep breaths until we feel better," he finally said looking into the eyes of his doctor.

The doctor smiled.

"Good boy. Now, are you going to sit down and speak kindly to this nice lady?"

Robert looked at Iliana again.

"Yes," he said, nervously.

Slowly the doctors and Cathy released their grip on Robert, and lowered him calmly into a chair.

Cathy patted his arm.

"Now Robbie," said the doctor, bending down beside him. "We all knew this day would come. Remember when your Mother came to tell you? She was very upset too, wasn't she?"

"Yes," said Robbie, looking into the doctors' eyes.

"Now, what did she tell you that you had to do?" he asked, calmly.

"She told me…she told me," stuttered Robbie. "She told me that I had to be a strong boy, and not be upset."

"Good," said the doctor, his soothing voice and warming smile calming down Robbie's sadness. "Now, are you going to do what Belle asked you?"

"Yes," said Robbie, determinedly.

"Now this kind lady," said the doctor, then turning to look at Iliana.

"Iliana!"

"Iliana, has come to visit you. Are you going to be a strong boy like your Mother wanted and listen quietly to Iliana?"

Robert nodded his eyes on Iliana's face.

"Good man," said the doctor, patting him on the back.

Turning to Iliana, he asked "May I have a word with you please?"

Iliana followed the doctor to his desk by the nurse's station.

"Mrs…"

"Knight," finished Iliana.

"Mrs Knight, I'm Dr. O' Donnell. Your mother Belle told us a lot about you, however I believe this is your first time meeting Robert?"

"Yes, it is Dr. O' Donnell," said Iliana. "I had no idea until this afternoon that was brother was in this care facility. I had never known his condition was so…bad."

"Well, yes, a few years ago, Robert's condition was quite bad and it was better for him and your Mother that he was under our care however we feel now that Robert has improved exponentially."

"His anger fits?"

"Those are merely Robert's lack of emotional control," reassured Dr. O' Donnell. "We feel confident that our psychiatric treatment will soon help Robert control his emotional urges."

"Thank you Dr. O' Donnell," said Iliana. "I very much appreciate it."

Walking back over to Robert, Iliana pulled out the seat beside him and sat down.

"I'm so sorry Robert, really I am."

Automatically she reached out her hand to him, but realising it might upset him, she stopped, and laid her hand on the table.

Robert stared intently into her face.

"Tell me about yourself…please?" he asked. "Mum never told me anything…except that I had a sister."

"You knew about me?" she asked, smiling.

"Only that much," he said, returning a nervous smile.

"Well, I'm a midwife in the Northern District's Hospital, I have a husband, whose name is Chris, and we have two beautiful children, George and Abbey."

"They sound nice…I never knew I was an Uncle."

Iliana smiled at him.

"I can introduce you to them if you want, I'm sure they would love to meet you."

Robert shifted nervously in his seat.

"I don't know…" he said, fidgeting with the string on his jumper.

"Ok, how about we keep it to just me at the moment?" she asked. "Would you mind me coming to visit you?"

"No, no I'd like that," he said, looking straight into her eyes. "I like having a sister."

Iliana smiled and she reached out to him again. He saw her hand and looked at her nervously. She stopped and put her hand onto her lap.

"Sorry," she said.

Robert paused, but then, he reached out and took her hand, holding it gently.

Iliana smiled at him.

"Thanks," she said, squeezing it softly.

"I'd like you to go now if that's ok," he said standing up, and going back to stand at the window.

"Of course," said Iliana, standing up and gathering her stuff.

"Please come and visit me again though," he said, turning to look at her. "I'd miss you if you didn't come back."

"I can come back tomorrow if you'd like," she said smiling softly at him.

"Yes I'd like that," Robbie said, smiling back at her. "I'd like that very much."

My reference to a Dr. O' Donnell in this chapter is in memory to the very fine cardiothoracic surgeon in my local hospital, Dr. O' Donnell, who died rather suddenly only a few weeks ago, leaving behind a very young family.

He did so much good to all his patients that I felt obliged to honour his name in this story.

RIP Dr. O' Donnell

Let me know what you all think!

:wub:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey everyone, sorry for the gap in updates!

I was on a slight roll there for awhile but then I was forced to put updating to aside as I had a lot of schoolwork to do!

Well....Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!... even if I am a bit late! :P

I hope 2011 is a great year for you all!

I hope you all enjoy this chapter!

It is especially dedicated to Carina who gives me constant support and feedback, and a really great friend here on BTTB. Seriously Carina, you keep encouraging me to update this fic and without your encouragement, I'm quite sure the post of chapters would have grown further and further apart. So thank you so much for your support and being such a lovely friend! :wub:

Chapter 62

Robbie peered out the window eagerly, waiting for his sister to come.

Sister.

It was a nice thought....a nice feeling, having a sister.

For the first time in his life, Robbie felt he belonged to something much bigger than the hospital community in which he lived. He felt that he belonged to a family, a close group of people who cared for him very much.

Walking over to his cupboard, he took out a sheet of paper folded into a card. On the cover were two people, a tall man and a little girl with long hair. The two people were holding hands, and there were smiles on their faces. Beside the people, there were arrows indicating who they were. Beside the man was written 'Uncle Robbie'.

Uncle Robbie.

The first time in his life Robbie had ever been called an Uncle.

Opening the card, he smiled as he read the inscription his little niece Abbey wrote with her crayons.

Dear Uncle Robbie,

My name is Abbey and Mummy said I am your niece.

I drew a picture of us on the cover....I hope you like it.

I love you very very much and I hope to see you soon,

Lots of love, Abbey XXXXX

Closing the card, Robbie ran his fingers over the cover and placed it back on the shelf.

There was a small knock on the door behind him, and Robbie turned to see Cathy smiling at him.

"Iliana's here," she said.

Robbie smiled widely and bounded out of the room and down the corridor, eager to see his sister.

Walking into the dining room, Robbie was surprised as not only was Iliana there, but three other people; a tall man and two children, a boy and a girl.

Robbie watched as Iliana stepped forward, holding the little girl's hand in hers.

"Hello Robbie," she said smiling at him.

Instead of rushing forward and hugging her as he usually did, Robbie stayed put, studying the faces of the new people who had come to see him. Iliana noticed this, seeing his eyebrows frown with anxiety and suspicion. He didn't know Chris, George and Abbey, Iliana could not blame him for being suspicious.

"Robbie, remember how I told you about my family," said Iliana, watching his face carefully.

Iliana noticed Cathy hovering in the background, studying Robbie face as intently as she, making sure nothing dangerous happened.

Robbie's eyes flickered from Chris to George, and then to little Abbey, who was hiding herself behind her Mummy.

"Yes," he said, looking into Iliana's face.

"Well...," said Iliana, gesturing to Chris and George. "This is my family....and your family too Robbie."

"My family?" he asked, surprise lighting up his face.

"Yes of course," said Iliana sincerely. "You have a family Robbie, us. We are always here, and will always be here to love and take care of you."

Taking a deep breath, Robbie stepped forward and bent down so he was at Abbey's height. Abbey hid herself even more behind Iliana's skirt. Robbie could only see her piercing blue eyes staring at him curiously.

"Hello," said Robbie nervously.

"Hello," said Abbey, stepping out a bit. "Are you my Uncle Robbie?"

"I am I think."

"Well you either are or you not, it's not a difficult question."

"Abbey, don't speak like that to your Uncle Robbie," scolded Iliana.

"No really Iliana, it's ok," said Robbie, confidently, his eyes on Abbey's face. "She's right, it's not a difficult question."

"Would you like me to be your Uncle?" he asked smiling at her nervously.

"Yes, I would like that," Abbey replied. "Did you like my card Uncle Robbie?"

"I loved it Abbey, thank you very much!"

Standing up, Robbie's glance turned to Chris. Chris smiled at him and held out his hand.

Robbie took it and they shook hands.

"Thank you for taking care of my sister," he said to Chris sincerely. "I wish I could have," he said smiling sadly at Iliana.

Iliana took his hand and squeezed it tightly.

"Robbie, I love your sister with out my heart," said Chris, staring into Iliana's eyes lovingly. "I promise you I will never let anything happen to her."

Robbie smiled and then held his hand out to George.

"I'm guessing your my nephew," he said. George nodded, smiling at him nervously. "I have a lot to thank you for," said Robbie. "What for?" asked George, confused. "Well, if you hadn't given your Mum that diary, she might never have found me. She's my only sister, but also the best sister a guy could have and I you to thank for that."

George smiled, bowing his head slightly in embarassment.

"Thank Uncle Robbie, that means a lot."

"C'mon Uncle Robbie," said Abbey, grabbing his hand, and pulling him over to the chairs. "I want to show you my Barbie's!"

"Abbey, I want to tell him about the football and rugby team in school first!" said George, following her.

The look on Robbie's face, Iliana saw, was one of amusement. Their bickering over who's got his attention first bemused him as he had never had someone fighting over him before.

Iliana watched Abbey grabbing her barbies and climbing onto Robbie's lap to show him, while George pulled off his jumper to show him his rugby jersey.

"He seems happy," said Chris, winding his arm around Iliana's waist. "He's taken to the kids really well. I have to admit, I was slightly nervous."

"So was I," said Iliana, placing her hand on Chris'. "I never thought it would go this well. Robbie has come on so much, even since I first saw him! I can almost begin to hope there will be a future for him outside these walls."

"He's very protective of you," said Chris, smiling at her.

Iliana chuckled. "He is isn't. I think he's afraid something will happen to me and he won't be able to see me or any of us again. Family means so much to him. I just feel bad that it's taken this many years for him to discover his real family."

"Illy, don't beat yourself up about it," said Chris, kissing her soft hair. "The important thing is you're here with him now, that we all are, and that he knows that we will always be there for him."

Turning to face him, Iliana wound her arms around Chris' neck, looking lovingly into his eyes.

"You're amazing, you know that right?"

Chris chuckled. "Yes I have heard that somewhere before."

"I really don't know what I'd do without you."

Chris smiled and placed his hand on Iliana's cheek. "You won't ever have to worry about that."

Iliana smiled and leaned in and kissed him softly. Chris kissed back just as softly, hugging her tightly to him.

Meanwhile, over with the children, Robbie looked up at the moment Chris and Iliana embraced. He smiled as he saw them together, how happy they were. He looked around to where Abbey was dressing her Barbie into a princess and George was drawing out the rugby pitch and all the players. He smiled at them, knowing that this was how it was always going to be.

He would always be surrounded by his family.

He would never feel alone again.

I hope you all enjoyed that chapter!

Sorry if some of the spelling was incorrect, I was in a slight hurry typing out this chapter! :P

Comments? :wub:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• 5 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Once again, sorry for the lack of updates!

Study takes up all my time these days!

Anyways, heres next chapter!

Enjoy!!

Chapter 63

1 year later...

Belle quickly jumped up as she watched Robbie crawling across the living room, and over to the china cabinet.

"Oh no you don't," she said, picking up him up in her arms, and tickling his tummy. "You're not going anywhere mister!" She laughed as he giggled in her arms, squirming away from her tickling fingers.

Belle chuckled, putting his down beside his sister again.

"Now stay there, you little adventurer!" she said, returning to where she sat at the table, chopping vegetables.

It had a been a whole year since Aden had died, and a lot had changed around the house.

With the money left to her in Aden's will, Belle had put a massive extension onto the house, and had turned it into a B&B. Everyday people were coming and going, staying for one night, or staying for up to 4 weeks.

She had hired a staff of twenty-five people to run the busines. She hired an executive manager who handled the day-to-day running of the business, but the final authority rested with Belle. No major decision had been made without her consent.

Belle had kept the original part of the house for herself, and the twins, so she still had plenty of room. With the fine staff, and a glowing reputation, the Jefferies' B&B of Summer Bay was the most popular B&B in the area.

In Belle's personal life, other things had changed as well.

Only last week, she and the twins had attended Geoff and Nicole's wedding, and now the happy couple were on honeymoon in Europe, visiting Paris, Rome and Venice. Belle had received a postcard from them only the day before, and they were having a great time.

Mattie and Ric were now living in Summer Bay, and expecting their first child. With Ric running his own business, and Mattie a midwife in the Northern District Hospital, things were going well for them.

However, the biggest gossip going around the town, with some locals disapproving of it, Belle had asked Alan to move in with her and the twins.

In the few months after Aden had died, Alan had been a great friend to Belle, and, slowly but surely, they both realised that they felt something stronger than just friendship for eachother.

Even now as Belle sat in the dining room, thinking about it, she wondered if it had ever been wrong of her; to enter into another relationship so soon after Aden's death.

But then again, it wasn't really a relationship as such. When Alan and Belle first admitted that they had feelings for each other, Belle had made it clear to Alan that she wanted to take things slow, that it was too soon after Aden's death, and that the pain was still fresh in her heart.

However, since then, Belle asked Alan to move in with her. She felt it was more of a convenience than a personal gesture. He worked in Northern District Hospital after all, and he had to drive two hours every morning to get to work. Belle felt it was only right that she ask him to move in with her.

Belle assured herself, knowing that they hadn't even done anything. They shared a kiss or two, but Alan hadn't never even spent the night with Belle in her bed, let alone sleep with her.

Belle knew that it would a long time before she could ever be that intimate with a man again.

However, Belle couldn't help admitting how nice it was to have Alan around the house. He was a great cook, and he was fantastic with the children. Belle almost felt safer at night too, knowing that Alan was down the hall, ready to defend or protect them if anything happened.

Belle looked up as she heard the backdoor open, and saw Alan walking through into the kitchen.

"Hello!" he said, walking over and kissing her on the cheek.

"Hello," she said, reaching out and taking his hand as he sat beside her at the table. "What were you up to today?"

"Oh, not much," he said, playing with her fingers. "I went over to the B&B to check how things are for you. Three of the girls are off sick with the flu! I'd say David is about to crack from the short staff!"

"He can handle it," said Belle, watching Robbie as he started crawling around again. "Robbie! You are such an adventurer today! What's up with you?"

"Hey buddy," said Alan, walking over and lifting him into his arms. "Are you causing your Mum trouble?! You better not be!"

Belle chuckled, and reached out to take Robbie from his arms. "I'm just about to make lunch for us all, would you like some?"

"Yes that would be great," said Alan, picking up Iliana, and following Belle into the kitchen. "What are we having?"

"Well I've recently discovered that the twins love mashed up sausage and potatoes so we are having something similar to that!" she said, sitting Robbie into his chair.

"So you guys have chosen the meal for tonight have you," said Alan, bouncing Iliana in his arms. "Well, I'm sure it'll be delicious! What am I saying, your Mummy is making it! Of course it's going to be delicious!"

"Are you sucking up to me?" asked Belle, grinning at him, as he put Iliana down beside Robbie.

"And what if I am?" said Alan, walking up to her, grinning.

"I like it," she said, leaning up and kissing him.

Alan placed his hands delicately on her cheeks as the kiss grew in intensity. However, as Belle felt the mood change, she pulled away quickly, frowning at him slightly.

"Alan, you know I'm not ready yet."

"I know, I know," he said, sighing, "Forgive me?"

Belle nodded, a frown still in her eyes as she returned to chopping the vegetables.

She would never cross that boundary with Alan. She loved Aden too much to ever do that to him. No one would make her feel the way Aden did, and she did not plan on lettting anyone try, not even Alan.

Let me know what you think! :)

xxxxxxxx

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, another update coming you're way! :)

Hope y'all like it!

Chapter 64

Walking through the back door, Alan smiled as he saw the sight before him.

Belle was sitting on the sofa, with Robbie and Iliana either side of her, reading a children's nursery book.

"And the Mummy Bear said it was time for bed," said Belle, pointing to the yawning teddy in the picture book. "So the little tubby bear gathered up all his toys and books, and walked off to bed. Mummy Bear snuggled him in, and planted a kiss on his head."

"Mummy Bear!" cried Iliana, pointing to the bear in the picture.

"Yes, that's Mummy Bear," said Belle, kissing Iliana's forehead. "Now Robbie, Iliana, your own Mummy is telling you to go for a nap. Will you be good bears like little tubby bear?"

"We no bears," said Robbie, putting his hand on Belle's arm.

"Ok, you are not bears," said Belle, chuckling. "But can Mummy put you to bed?"

Both Robbie and Iliana nodded. Belle stood up, and smiled as she saw Alan.

"Oh hey, you wouldn't mind taking Iliana for me?" she asked, as she lifted Robbie in her arms. "They are getting so big now I can't carry both of them!"

Alan smiled, and willingly lifted Iliana into his arms.

"You cheeky little monkeys," he said, tickling Iliana's chest.

"We bears!" cried Iliana.

"You bears," repeated Alan, chuckling.

Having settled Robbie and Iliana into their beds, Alan and Belle returned to the living room.

Belle sat down into the sofa, and instead of taking his usual place beside her, Alan sat opposite Belle taking her hands.

"Babe, I've got some big news," he said, excited and apprehensive at the same time.

"What is it?" asked Belle, curious.

"I've been offered a new job....in the States!"

Belle's heart fell. "The States," she repeated. "As in America."

"Yeah," said Alan, a solemn look on his face. "I wanted to ask you about it before I made a decision."

"You're thinking of going?" said Belle, her heart breaking a little at the thought of him leaving her.

"Yes...and I want you and the twins to come with me," he said.

Belle's eyes widened and this proposal, and she lay back against the back of the sofa.

"Move to America, all of us?" she said.

"Yes, why not?" said Alan. "There are so many opportunities over there. For you, for Robbie and Iliana, there are so many opportunities! They can go to brilliant schools, you can get a new job! Belle wouldn't it be just wonderful?"

"Well yeah, if you look at it that way," she said. "But Alan, all my family are here. Irene, Geoff, Annie and Mattie....and Aden. I don't know if I can leave them!"

"Belle, they would understand," insisted Alan. "They would because you deserve it Belle, all of you. After everything you've been through! Nobody deserves something like this more than you Belle."

Belle shook her head. "Alan...I don't know. It such a big change to my life, to Robbie and Iliana's lives. And what about Robbie, all his doctors and specialists are here in Summer Bay. I have to address his needs over my own."

"Babe, I understand that, I really do," said Alan, taking his hands. "But would you just think about this please, please."

Belle sighed, and nodded. "I'll think about it," she promised.

Alan smiled, and kissed her cheek softly.

"Thank you," he said, kissing her once more, before he headed for the door.

"Where are you going?" asked Belle. "You just came in?!"

"I have to go out again, just for a short while, babe," he said. "I promise I'll be home again soon."

Belle frowned as she watched him throw on a jacket.

There was a sudden knock at the door, and in walked Mattie.

"Any room for a visitor?" she asked.

"Actually Mattie, you arrived in perfect time! I have to go out and I think Belle might want some company! I'll be back soon babe, promise!" he said, before quickly ducking out the door.

"He seems to be happy about something," said Mattie, coming to sit beside Belle.

"Well he was offered a job in America, so I guess that's a good reason to be happy," said Belle, sighing unhappily.

"America! Wow, that is some offer!" said Mattie. "Is he going to take it?"

"He's waiting a bit," said Belle.

Seeing Mattie's frown she attempted to improve her answer.

"He's waiting because....he asked me and the twins to come with him to America, and he's leaving me time to think about it!"

Mattie's mouth fell open.

"He asked you to move to America with him? Wow, that is something!"

"I know he wants me to think about it Mattie, but I know my answer already, and it will never change. I just can't go."

"Why?" asked Mattie, anxiously.

Belle smiled sadly, looking over at the picture of her and Aden on the mantlepiece.

"I can't leave Aden."

Let me know what you think!

:wub:

xxxxx

• 4 weeks later...

Chapter 65

In every household, a family will have a certain place where they keep important photographs.

Some hang them on the walls, something place them in frames, dedicating a special spot for them on the mantlepiece, some like to have them with them everywhere, by means of a screensaver or little photograph in their wallet.

Photographs are memories are the past.

Reminders of places, people and events.

They keep the memory of those times alive. In that photograph, the image, the memory is frozen and that person or place will forever stay the same. The person will never age, and the place will be as it once was.

In the Jefferies household, the place dedicated to those memories was the mantlepiece in the sitting room. Photo frames stood there proudly, each depicting a different person or place. Each of them held a memory.

As Belle stood looking at each of these photos, she smiled.

There was a common link binding all these memories together. They all contained different people and different events, but they had all taken place here, in her home, in Summer Bay.

Was Belle truly ready to leave her home?

Belle looked up as she heard the backdoor open, and in walk Alan. Dropping was he was hold, he immediatly walked over to Belle and took her hands.

"Have you decided?" he asked anxiously.

She shook her head and turned away from him. He sighed and rang his fingers through his hands.

"Belle, we're running out of time!" he said, urgently. "I have to make a decision by next week or else they'll offer the job to someone else!"

"Alan, you can't possibly expect me to make this decision quickly!" said Belle angrily, turning on him. "This isn't the sort of decision that just takes five minutes to make! You're asking me to uproot my whole life, uproot the twins' life to America! You have to give me time to figure this out properly! Don't you understand that!"

"Belle I do, I really do!" insisted Alan. "But you see, I don't think that's the only reason you're taking so long to decide!"

"Excuse me?" hissed Belle, sensing the tone of accusation in his voice.

"Yes I think you're wondering whether you love me enough to move to America with me!" cried Alan. "I think you're still in love with Aden!"

"You selfish bastard!" exclaimed Belle, fury running through her at his mention at Aden. "You expect me to have just gotten over Aden in over a year! Things don't work that quickly, and also, I don't that I will ever get over losing Aden because I loved him Alan, I loved him! You don't just bloody well forget people who made such a huge impact on you're life that easy! Aden would never have asked something so huge of me!"

"Well if it's so huge Belle, why don't you just back out now!" said Alan, his eyes narrowed threatingly. "It's so obvious that you're not going to go through with this! You know what maybe you never even loved me!"

"That is not true!" said Belle, watching Alan as he paced the room. "I did love you, I still do! I love you more than I should! But if you're going to push me into a corner where I feel that I have to say yes to save this relationship that we have, well then it's over!"

"Belle, I am not forcing you to make any decision!" insisted Alan.

"Is that really what you're telling yourself?" said Belle, in disbelief. "Oh, my God, this is a joke! You think you're the innocent party in this! Alan, you are putting so much pressure on me to make a decision, it's putting me off going completely!"

"Christ Belle, just drop the act!" insisted Alan, shaking his head. "We both know you were never going to go through with it!"

"How could you possibly know that?" asked Belle, tears sparkling in her eyes.

"Just admit it Belle," said Alan, coming to stand in front of her, their noses almost touching. "Are you going to come with me or not? Because if not, then I'll know that you never really loved me!"

Belle glared at him furiously, tears running down at her cheeks.

"Get out!" she said, pointing to the door, her voice shaking.

"Just say it!" cried Alan.

"Get out of my house!!" shouted Belle, defiantly.

Alan shook his head defiantly, and stepped back from her. Grabbing his keys from the coffee table, he stormed out of the house, refusing to look back at her as he did.

Once he was gone, Belle fell to the floor, bursting into tears.

Outside, the sun had fallen, and darkness had engulfed the house. Belle had hardly noticed it until Alan left.

She quickly stuffed her's and the twins' pyjamas into an overnight bag, laid them gently into their car seats, and she drove through the streets of Summer Bay, the moon shining brightly over her head.

Knocking on the door, she managed to smile as Mattie answered the door, a shock look on her face as she saw Belle carrying the twins in her arms.

"Can we stay with you tonight?" she asked, quietly.

Mattie nodded, still speechless, silently offering to take one of the twins from Belle's arms. Behind her, Ric stood, just as surprised at the scene before him. As he watched Belle and Mattie walk upstairs he frowned with concerned, walked out the door, disappearing into the night.

Belle tucked the twins in the make-shift bed that she and Mattie had made for them. Curling into a ball in their spare bed, she finally managed to fall into a light sleep.

She woke several times throughout the night, the memory of her shouting match with Alan, still at the front of her mind. Her ears were still ringing from Alan shouting at her, and she could still see his angry face when she closed her eyes.

Had he been right though?

Was her speech about uprooting the twins' life just an excuse or did she really not love Alan enough to move with him to America?

Deep down Belle knew the answers to these queries, but the question was though, did she plan on acting on them?

xxx

Thanks for the comments guys!

I'm keen to wrap up this fic before my exams start to take up all of my time.

So you can all prepare yourself for the end of this fic!

So...here's the next update. :)

Chapter 66

Heading straight down to the beach, where he knew Alan would be, Ric was unsurprised to see him standing at the water’s edge, the waves gently washing over his feet.

Ric walked down, coming to stand beside him.

Alan didn’t acknowledge his presence, but merely continued to stare out into the dark, black ocean.

“We need to talk mate,” he said, looking at Alan out of the corner of his eyes.

“There’s nothing to talk about,” he replied.

Ric shook his head, laughing in disbelief.

“Alan, this act you’ve got on has got to stop,” said Ric. “I’ve seen you lately with Belle. Your relationship is almost a strain.

If she doesn’t want to go to America with you, you can’t make her!”

Alan sighed.

“I know, I know,” he said. “And I’m sorry over the way I spoke to her tonight, but it’s just so frustrating! I always know that I am second place with Belle, I just know it!”

“But can’t you understand why she feels that Alan?” persisted Ric. “Aden was her soul-mate, her true love. You can’t just get over somebody like that!”

“But she loves his ghost more than me,” continued Alan. “A mere ghost!”

“He is not a mere ghost to her Alan. He is living and breathing, not just his spirit, but in Iliana and Robbie! To Belle, he is alive through them, and when she loves them, she loves Aden too. Can’t you understand that?”

“Believe me, I’m trying to,” said Alan, finally facing Ric. “But I can’t fathom the thought that she is staying here because she is in love with a ghost.”

“Look mate, if you keep calling Aden a ghost, you’re going to get nowhere with Belle,” said Ric, even himself angered by the reference. “You might as well just quit saying it now!”

Alan shook his head.

“None of you understand.”

“Ok fine, we don’t understand,” said Ric. “But tell me this, do you love Belle?”

“Yes of course I do.”

“So if she was to say no to going to America, would you really go without her?” asked Ric.

Alan shook his head. “No I wouldn’t, I couldn’t!”

“Well then why are you making this decision so hard for her?”

“America would be a new start for us all, a better life for Belle and the twins,” explained Alan. “Belle always talks about what a great life Aden gave her and the twins. Even now, with the B&B, Belle thanks Aden for giving it to her. I hear her before she goes to sleep. Every night she thanks Aden for the life she now lives. Like he’s her Guardian Angel or something!”

Ric listened patiently, hoping for his friend to reach his own conclusion.

“Now it’s my turn. I want to give Belle the great life, and I know a life in America…she would love it. She would blend right into it. But she doesn’t want that. I can see that she doesn’t. Why can’t she just give me this one thing?”

“Alan, it’s hardly one thing!” insisted Ric. “You’re asking her to move to America. That is rather a big thing.”

“Look say what you want Ric,” said Alan, backing away a bit. “I know where you stand. You want me to give up this big job and stay here with Belle.”

“Mate, I am not going to tell you what I think you should do. You need to figure this out for yourself. I just hope that in the end, you make the right choice.”

Alan nodded, and turned back to face the ocean as Ric walked away, back up the beach.

Returning to his apartment later that night, he grabbed a few hours’ sleep before waking up again early that next morning.

Sitting down at his kitchen table, Alan picked up his phone and dialled his boss’ number.

“John hi, this is Alan. I’ve made a decision.”

Let me know what you think :)

xxx

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for long break in updates!

Here's the next one! :wink:

Chapter 67

Belle closed her eyes and smiled as she felt the warm sun hitting her face, and the gentle breeze blowing through her hair. She look out at the horizon, where earth and heaven met, where she knew Aden was, forever watching over her.

Crawling on the sand around her were the twins. Iliana, the less mischievous of the two, crawled over to a small pile of sand near Belle's feet, and flopped down on top on of it, happily throwing the sand into the air.

Meanwhile Robbie was on the move! Ignoring his sister completely, Robbie set off on an adventure of the beach. He hadn't got very far until Belle came up behind him, picking him up into her arms.

"So this is the way it's always going to be Robbie," she said, securing the human equivalent of a lead to his wrist so he wouldn't get away. "I'm always going to have to watch where you're going!"

Robbie giggled, and stretched out to touch his mother's face. Seeing her brother receive all the attention, Iliana began moaning quietly where she sat by Belle's feet.

"Oh Illy, don't cry," said Belle, reaching down to smooth over her daughter's cheek with the back of her finger. Iliana grabbed it instantly. Belle sighed, knowing what she wanted.

"Sweety, I'm sorry, Mummy's arms are just not big enough to hold both of you!"

"Maybe I could help with that...?"

Belle whipped her face around to see Alan standing behind her. Quickly she jumped up, careful not to jostle Robbie in her arms. Bending down, she also picked up Iliana, and began to walk towards the car, completely ignoring Alan.

He sighed and attempted to follow her.

"Belle please, just hear me out!" he begged.

"Just leave me alone Alan," said Belle, as she reached the car, buckling Robbie into his car seat. From her arms, Iliana reached her fingers out to Alan longingly.

He reached back to her but before they fingers could meet, Belle brought Iliana closer to her chest.

"Don't you dare touch my daughter!" she exclaimed, a fury in her eyes that Alan had never seen before.

"Belle please..." he begged, walking towards her.

"Take one step closer to me and I'll call the police!" said Belle, taking several steps back, her arms protectively covering Iliana, her back to the car door, behind which was Robbie's car seat.

Alan stopped. He heart was breaking as he saw the fear in her eyes. The fear that he had caused.

Their relationship had arrived here because of his pathetic jealousy.

He watched as Belle steadied her breathing, and slightly relinquishing her tight control on Iliana.

"Just stay away from us Alan," she warned, threateningly.

"Can I just say one thing?" he asked, beseechingly.

Belle nodded slightly.

"I am so so sorry Belle for how I treated you last night! That was absolutely unforgiveable of me! I really don't know what came over me."

"Jealousy," muttered Belle, her face still stern, but was gradually becoming more gentle.

Alan managed to laugh and shook his head.

"You're right, you're absolutely right!" he said, stepping closer to her slowly. "I was so selfish Belle. For me to ask you such a huge thing, and also expect you to have forgotten your feelings for Aden. I cannot believe I asked that of you."

Belle sighed slightly, and took a step forward to Alan.

"I'm sorry too," she said. "You were right. I was kind of using Aden and the twins as an excuse for not going. Oh my God, I feel horrible for admitting that now! What Aden must think of me!"

"Belle, you can't blame yourself for how you feel," said Alan. "I do feel that I have pushed you though. I could always tell you were cautious about how fast we took things and I pushed you so much, I know I did. And now I've ruined everything!"

"You haven't ruined everything!" said Belle, smiling, and taking his hand, squeezing it gently. "I'm here aren't I?"

Alan frowned.

Belle laughed. "Keep up you dummy!" she exclaimed. "I'm saying I forgive you!"

Alan shook his head. "No Belle, I can't accept your forgiveness! How I behaved last night...it was simply atrocious and I don't blame you for not wanting to see me again."

"Alan, listen to me," said Belle, pulling his arm, making his look at her. "I've already said goodbye to one man that I love. I don't think I could bare to say goodbye to another!"

Alan was speechless.

"You love me?"

Belle smiled, bowing her head slightly, her cheeks turning red. "Maybe."

Alan smiled, and gently cupping her cheeks with his hands, he leaned down to kiss her.

"Ow!" he suddenly exclaimed, as Iliana grabbed a handful of his hair, from where she was propped up in Belle's arms.

They both laughed, and Belle bowed her forehead so her nose was touching off of Alan's.

"D'you want to go home?" she asked, softly.

He pulled away, still holding her hand.

"Not yet, I have a few things planned!" he said, a wry smile on his face.

"What things?" Belle asked curiously, smiling at the look on his face.

"You'll see later on," he replied, kissing her forehead, before setting off down the beach. "I know you'll love it though!"

Belle laughed and shook her head as she finally loaded Iliana into her car seat.

"You've already made up!" exclaimed Ric.

"Yup! Just now!" said Alan, a wide smile on his face.

"Jeez that was quick! I thought that you would have to do some major grovelling before you won her back!"

"Well, I still feel that I should," said Alan, as they began to set up Belle's surprise. "Belle is just too good to forgive me so easily. I really don't deserve it! But we're back together now and I'm never going to let that be otherwise!"

"So d'you think tonight will convince of her that?" asked Ric.

"Well I hope so," said Alan.

"What about America though?" asked Ric.

Alan paused. "I'm going to save that for Belle."

"You promise me that you can't see anything?" said Alan, as he lead Belle down the pathway.

"Alan, it is physically impossible with this blindfold!" she said, uncomfortable with her lack of vision. "Are we nearly there yet? I hate not knowing where I am!"

"We're almost there I promise!"

"Well I can feel sand under my feet so I know we're on the beach," said Belle, holding Alan's hand tightly for support.

"Right, are you ready?" asked Alan, bringing her to an abrupt halt.

"Yes!" said Belle, excited for what was about to be presented to her.

Removing the blindfold from her eyes, Alan stepped back to allow Belle to soak it all in.

After her eyes had become adjusted to the darkness, Belle saw before her a little wooden table, with a tall candle in the middle and two plates of steaming hot food surrounding by a bottle of champagne and a single rose.

Belle gasped and clapped her hand to her mouth.

"Did you prepare this all for me?" she asked Alan.

He shook his head, grinning at the amazed look that was on her face.

"Oh Alan, this is amazing!" said Belle, leaning over and hugging him.

"I did this especially for you!" he said, kissing her hand softly. "There'll never be anybody else for me but you Belle. I can't imagine my life without you."

Belle smiled leaned forward and kissed him softly.

"C'mon let's eat!" he said, leading her over to the table.

"No way! That was so not my fault!" exclaimed Belle.

"It was so your fault!" cried Alan. "That poor girl; the way you kept talking to her about morning sickness, labour and breastfeeding! No wonder the girl has turned off having kids!

"Well I was just giving her the straight and narrow! She needed to know what was ahead of her! I just prepared her!"

"Prepared or petrified?" asked Alan, grinning cheekily at her.

Belle shook her head as she drained her glass of wine.

"Well Alan, that was simply amazing!" she said, relaxing into her seat. "You really know how to cook!"

"It was my mother's recipe!" he said. "She used to be a food critic, and she would go around tasting different foods around the world, and she would always make a note of those that impressed her the most, and this was one of them!"

"Well she was most certainly right!"

Alan chuckled, and then sat up straight in his seat.

"Belle, I made a decision about America."

Belle sighed heavily. She knew that this topic would have to come up sometime.

"Look Alan, it's ok, I understand," said Belle, reaching across the table and taking his hand. "I was never going to stop doign what you wanted to do! I know that you want this job in America! Just go for it Alan, I know how much you want it!"

"But you wouldn't come with me..?"

Belle shook her head sadly.

"I'm sorry, no. It's just too much of a big step for me. I'm sorry Alan."

"Well that's just fine with me."

Belle was afronted by this statement.

"I'm sorry," she said, surprised.

"I said that's fine with me because I've decided not to go," said Alan, smiling at her simply. "I rang my boss last night and told him that I couldn't accept his offer."

"Why?" exclaimed Belle. "Why would you turn down something so big?"

Alan smiled and reached across to take both of Belle's hands.

"Because my heart is here. And where does it matter where I live or work, as long as my heart is in the right place!"

"You would do that...you would stay here with me, just for me...?!"

"Belle, I love you," said Alan, smiling at her lovingly. "I would do anything for you!"

Belle jumped up and ran over to Alan. She met him in the middle and jumped up into his arms and hugged him tightly.

"Oh thank you, thank you so much!" she cried, bursting into tears.

"Why are you crying?" he asked chuckling, as he wiped away her tears.

"I was afraid that I would lose you. That you would go to America without me and that I would lose another piece of my heart! But you want to stay here with me?!"

Alan smiled, and kissed her softly.

"Yes!"

Belle laughed happily and hugged him tightly. Alan held her closely to him, knowing truly now that he had made the right decision.

This was where he was meant to be.

Credit goes to Jane Austen's Emma, as I used a quote from her fabulous novel.

Second last chapter everyone! :(

It's been nice writing for ye all!

Thanks for your continued support! :wink:

Chapter 68

"Robbie?"

Robbie looked up from where he sat by the window.

"Look who's here to see you!" said Julia. She stepped aside and Robbie's face suddenly lit up as he saw Iliana and Abbey standing at the door.

"Illy! Abbey!" he exclaimed, jumping up and rushing over to them.

Abbey pulled her hand out of her mother's grip and ran over to Robbie, jumping into his arms. Robbie twirled her around in a circle, hugging her tightly.

"Uncle Robbie!" cried Abbey. "Did you miss me? I missed you lots and lots!"

"Of course I missed you," said Robbie. "I wish I saw you everyday!" he said, hugging her tightly.

Iliana smiled and came to kiss Robbie on the cheek.

"How are you sweety?" she said, smiling at him fondly, almost motherly.

"I'm really good thanks!" he said, gently placing Abbey on her feet again. She took his hand, holding it firmly, and pulled him over to the window. "Would you like to know what book I'm reading?"

"Yes of course, what's it called?" asked Iliana, as she saw Abbey pick it up and read the title.

"Uncle Robbie's reading The Jungle Book!" she exclaimed, grinning at him happily. "I'm reading that in school Uncle Robbie!"

"You are!" he said happily, sharing in her delight. "Where have you got to?"

"Bagheera wants Mowgli to go back to the humans! But he belongs in the jungle, with the wolves Uncle Robbie! Why won't they let him stay?"

"You'll have to wait and see Abbey!" said Robbie, chuckling as she pouted her lips. "I know that you will like it though!"

He turned to Iliana.

"How are Chris and Georgie?"

"They all are good thank you," said Iliana, sitting down beside Robbie, lifting Abbey onto her lap. "They're sorry they couldn't be here but Chris is very busy with work and George has his exams next week! He asked me to tell you though that he's looking forward to seeing you soon!"

"Why, where am I going?" asked Robbie, anxiously.

"Well, that's what I came to talk to you about," said Iliana, slowly, as Abbey took out her colouring book and began drawing. "I've spoken with your doctors and nurses and they think that you've been doing amazing Robbie! They are so impressed with you, as am I!"

Robbie grinned proudly.

"I have been trying really hard Illy! I want to show you how smart I am! Mummy always said that I was smart. I wanted to show both of you that she was right!"

"I never doubted that you were smart Robbie! You have always inspired me to be smarter!" said Iliana, smiling happily as she saw how happy he was.

"So, as I said, your doctors are amazingly happy with you and...they feel that you're ready to come home...with me!"

The smile faded from Robbie's face.

Iliana's heart thudded. Has this been a bad idea after all?

"Come home...with you?" he repeated.

"Yes...but Robbie if you want to stay here that's fine too!" said Iliana, quickly trying to remove any pressure that he might feel.

"You want me to come and live with you? With you, Chris, George and Abbey?"

"Why yes of course...but that's only if you want to Robbie!"

Robbie paused for a moment. Suddenly his face broke out in a massive smile and he jumped over to Iliana and hugged her tightly.

"Uncle Robbie, you're squeezing me!" complained Abbey.

"I'm sorry Abbey," he said, sitting back again. "But you're serious Illy...you want me to come home?"

"Of course Robbie!" exclaimed Iliana. "We love you, and we want you to live with us! Would you like that?"

"Yes! Yes! Absolutely yes! Thank you so much Illy!" he cried, jumping into her arms again.

"Really, you want to come home with us," she said, smiling at him as he pulled away.

"Yes, I really, really do! Oh Illy, thank you so much! I have never been happier in my whole life!"

Iliana beamed at him, and took his hands in hers.

"Well then I happily welcome you to our home! Would you like to come back with me now and I can show you your now room?"

"Yes! Yes I would like that very much!"

Happily, Robbie grabbed his jacket and shoes from his room, and followed Iliana and Abbey out the centre's doors.

Arriving at his new home, Robbie's mouth fell open in awe.

Stepping onto the porch, he took Iliana's hands.

"Thank you so much Illy. You really have no idea how much this means to me!"

She smiled and hugged him tightly.

"Welcome home, brother."

Let me know what you think!

:)

xxx

• 2 weeks later...

I am typing this with a tear as this is The Last Chapter! :(

I just to thank Carina, RR1 and Zetti so much for your constant support and feedback!

You have been such loyal readers!

I really appreciate it so much!

Chapter 69

Robbie looked around his room sadly as he saw the bare walls, his bedspread rolled up in a ball and all his shelves and wardrobes empty.

He had been at this place for almost his entire life.

He had so many good memories of this place. How could he say goodbye to it all?

He looked across the room to where Julia was neatly packing his clothes in a brand new suitcase. She was silent as she did this, odd for her. Robbie knew why she was quiet though.

"Julia, I promise to come and visit again," he said, walking over to her.

She nodded her head, still continuing packing. "I know, I know, it's just going to be so strange....no Robbie Jefferies to talk to everyday! Who am I going to share my books with now?"

"We can still share them, can't we?" asked Robbie, anxiously. "I love reading and I don't want it to stop just because I'm leaving this place!"

"No of course not sweety," she said, talking his hands and squeezing them reassuringly. "I'll try to come and see you as often as I can! I'm just going to miss you so much Robbie!" she said, tears glistening in her eyes.

Robbie smiled back at her, tears in his eyes too. He opened his arms and brought her into a tight hug. He buried his head in her shoulder, and inhaled deeply, enjoying the sweet smell of her hair.

"I love you Julia," he said quietly.

She laughed briefly, tears now trickling down her cheeks. She patted the back of his head fondly. "I love you too sweety! You have always been my favourite!"

They pulled apart, and smiled at eachother bravely. While Robbie picked up his suitcase, Julia gathered up his bedspread, and the two of them walked to the door.

Robbie paused on the corridor, and looked at his door. His name 'Robbie' was written in big, bold letters on the door.

He smiled at it sadly. "I don't think I can bring it with me Julia. It belongs here."

Julia smiled. "And so we will leave it here....and that room will always be known as your room."

"Just so that you would never forget me," said Robbie.

Julia took his hand, shaking her head. "As if we could ever forget you Robbie!"

The two of them walked down the corridor leading the reception. Turning around the corner, Robbie was surprised to see the entire staff of the centre lined up to wish him farewell. In the middle stood Cathy and Dr. O' Donnell.

Letting go of Julia's hand, Robbie walked over to Dr. O' Donnell.

"You told me ages that one day I would walk out of this place a new man. I didn't believe you then."

"I always had faith in you Robbie," said Dr. O' Donnell, a proud smile on his face.

"And that is what I have to thank you for. Thank you Dr. O' Donnell, thank you."

Robbie held out his hand and the two men shook hands.

"Good luck my friend," said Dr. O' Donnell.

As Robbie turned to Cathy, she burst into tears and flung her arms around his neck, hugging him tightly.

"Take care of yourself, my boy!" she said, through her tears. "You promise me?"

"I promise," said Robbie, hugging her tightly. "Thank you Cathy...your help has meant so much to me. I just wish I could repay it!"

Cathy shook her head, grinning, while tears rolled down her cheeks.

"There is no need for that!"

Robbie smiled at her widely. Picking up his belongings, he took a few steps back. Looking around the room, he saw all the people who had helped him get to this point. To become a man. They were his family. He loved them more than he could say.

Reluctantly he turned his back to them, and walked out the doors to the main entrance.

He smiled as he saw Iliana leaning against the doorframe. She looked up from her phone, and smiled widely as she saw him approaching.

"Are you ready to go home?"

Robbie nodded, and slowly followed her out the door.

As he sat into the car, he looked back at the building that had shaped his whole life.

I am already at home.

"You are listening to Radio 94.6 and it is 2 in the afternoon. We've got a great line of songs coming up for you folks so listen in!"

As the first song started, Belle smiled happily from where she stood behind the counter, chopping up carrots. As the music grew louder and increased in speed, she found herself bobbing to the music.

Abandoning the carrots, she leaped into the middle of the kitchen and began blasting out some killer moves and slightly high notes.

From their playpen beside the door, Robbie and Iliana looked up intently at their mother as she abandoned all dignity and let herself free.

As that song ended and the next began, Belle continued singing. She had never felt so free in ages. She didn't care if she was crazy, didn't care if she was singing out of tune, she just didn't care about anything!

This was her moment! She didn't have a care in the world.

From the driveway, Alan raised his eyebrows in surprise as he heard the music blaring out the windows. Walking over to the kitchen window, he grinned happily as he saw his girlfriend jumping around the kitchen like a crazy person.

She swung her head around and her hair twirled gravefully, like those girls in the L'Oreal adds. She lowered her knees to the floor and bounced straight back up again in rhythm with the music.

She was the wild, carefree Belle that he loved.

Finally the music came to an end. Belle's dancing ceased and she returned to a dignified pose. She brushed her hair away from her face and straightened out her skirt. Looking around the kitchen for the chopping knife, she saw Alan standing outside the window.

She frowned at him curiously and then her face turned to one of pure horror, and she raised her hand to her mouth.

"Did you see...?"

Alan nodded and burst at laughing.

Belle stayed rooted to the spot, embarassed that Alan witnessed her moment of craziness.

From outside, Alan lifted his hand to his lips and blew her a kiss.

Belle smiled at him lovingly and blew him one back.

Alan waited patiently by the door, his suitcase and bedspread in hand as Iliana opened the front door.

"Leave those there in by the door, hun," said Iliana, as Robbie came into the hall.

She held out her hand and he gladly took it.

"Come into the kitchen," she said, leading him down the corridor. "I have something to show you!"

Reaching the kitchen door, Iliana stepped aside, allowing Robbie to open it. Walking into the room, he was greeted by a massive surprise as all his new family had gathered to throw him a party.

Robbie threw his hands to his mouth in shock. He looked around the room at all his family as that he only met once or twice. Standing just inside the door were his niece and nephew, Abbey and George. As he smiled at them, Abbey came over and reached out her hands to him.

Robbie lifted her up into his arms and kissed her cheek. "Happy to see me?" he asked.

Abbey nodded and kissed him softly on the cheek.

Robbie smiled proudly at George who he clapped on the back. "Good to see you Uncle Robbie," said George. "I'm so glad you're coming to live with us. There is so much that I would like to ask you...if that's ok?"

Robbie nodded enthusiastically and brought George into a tight hug.

Next Robbie went over to greet his very frail Uncle Geoff and Aunt Nicole, who had come with their daughter Chrissie.

"Aunt Nic, Uncle Geoff, it's so good to see you again!" he said, remembering the brief encounter that they had shared only the other day. Nicole had burst into tears when Iliana presented Robbie to her.

"I can't believe it's you Robbie," she had said, putting her hand on his cheek. "You have Aden's good looks, but Belle's eyes!"

Bending down to her level again, Robbie took Nicole's hand. "It was great to see you the other day Aunt Nic. I'm sorry that was the first time we had met. Mummy told me so much about and Uncle Geoff, I have been waiting to meet you both for so long!"

From the other side of the kitchen, Iliana watched happily as her brother became reacquainted with his family.

She smiled as she felt Chris' arm come to wind itself around her waist. She felt him hold her back up against his chest and felt his warm breath on her shoulder.

"He's happy," said Chris, watching Robbie happily.

"So happy," agreed Iliana. "I wondered for awhile whether I made the right decision bringing him home, but now I know that I did!"

Chris smiled happily. "I think you did too!"

"Oh Robbie, I have something to give you," said Nicole, lifting her bag up from where it lay on the floor. Delving into her bag, she pulled out an old photograph, slightly worn from age but otherwise pristine in condition.

She handed it to Robbie who held it delicately in his hands.

"That's Mum!" he exclaimed as he recognised Belle in the picture. "But she looks so much younger! This must be an old photograph Aunt Nic!"

"How right you are Robbie," said Nic, smiling lovingly at him. "D'you know who those other people are in the picture?"

"Well I suppose the babies are me and Illy, right? But, who is this man here? I don't recognise him!"

Nicole smiled fondly at Aden who was beaming out at them in the picture.

"That Robbie...is your father!"

Belle closed the nursery door gently behind her and walked out into the kitchen, where Alan was wiping up after dinner.

"Twins are asleep," she said, walking over to him and putting her arms around his waist, resting her head on his back.

He smiled and turned around, wrapping his arms around her, holding her tight.

"You seem tired."

"Just a little," she said, smiling up at him lovingly.

He smiled back, leaned down and kissed her lips softly.

As he pulled away, Belle suddenly burst out laughing. "I still can't believe you saw my moment of disgrace earlier on!"

"Aw no, Belle, I thought it was sweet," he said, taking her hand and pulling her over to the sofa.

"You never really have a chance to just be yourself lately, it was good for you to let loose! I know you enjoyed it!"

"Maybe a little," she admitted as she snuggled down beside him.

As she lay her head against his chest, Alan kissed her forehead.

"I love you, you know that right."

Belle smiled. "I think I do."

She lifted her head and leaned forward to kiss him. Just as their lips met, Alan pager bleeped in his pocket.

They both groaned and Belle pulled away as Alan pulled the pager out of his hospital.

He groaned as he read the message.

"They need you at the hospital don't they," said Belle, sighing unhappily.

"I'm sorry babe, they do," said Alan, jumping up from the sofa. "I'm not sure how long I'll be ok so promise me you'll go to bed when it gets late!"

"I promise," said Belle reluctantly, watching him as he threw on his smart tie and jacket. "I'll miss you."

He smiled back. "I'll miss you too."

From the door, he blew her a kiss.

Smiling at him lovingly, she held out her hand as the love fell into her palm. She lifted her hand on placed it on her heart. There the love would remain forever.

"I love you," she repeated, as he disappeared out the door.

"I love you."

As the guests all left that evening, Iliana and Chris began to clear up after the party. Iliana looked across the room to where Robbie stood with his back to her.

"Robbie, would you like to help us?"

Robbie made no response and remained in the same position. Slightly concerned, Iliana walked over to him, putting her hand on his back.

"Sweety, are you ok?"

Robbie's head was down and he was looking at something in his hands. Iliana followed his gaze and saw the photograph that Nicole had presented him with earlier that day.

"Iliana, Aunt Nic said this is our father," said Robbie, uncertainly. "Is that true?"

Iliana looked at the photo. It too was her first time seeing it, but she recognised the man that held her in his arms in the picture.

"Yes Robbie, that is our father. His name was Aden. Aden Jefferies."

"D'you know anything about him? I never met him so I don't know anything!"

An idea quickly came to Iliana and, talking Robbie's hand, she led him to her's and Chris' bedroom. Bending down beside the bed, she pulled out the large book that she kept under the bed.

Sitting down on the bed, she ran her finger's over the cover. She remembered back to the day, several months ago when George had given it to her. This diary, her Mother's diary, told her the truth about her father, and the sincere and honest love he felt for them and her mother.

Iliana had now learnt the truth of her father, and now Robbie was seeking it too.

She held out the book to him, which he took carefully in his hands.

"What is it?" he asked, looking at it in awe.

"It's our Mother's Diary.

Belle's Diary"

Well that's it! :(

I really hope the last chapter did this story justice!

I wrote perhaps two or three possible last chapters and I ended up choosing this one!

Please let me know what you think! :)

Thanks once again to Carina, RR1 and Zetti!

You guys made writing this fic so much easier, as I knew I had an audience who would hopefully enjoy it!

Love you all :wub:

Laura xxx

Comments

Archived