The Dark Horse

Guest LauraPhilly!!

Aww guys, you make me feeling bad leaving it at a cliffhanger after all the nice comments you've left me! :P

Well, here's the next chapter, so hopefully this will make it up to you! lol!

Let me know what you think! :wink:

Chapter 31

"Belle! Belle, wake up please!" cried Aden, shaking her, tears now rolling down his cheeks. "Babe, you've got to wake up!"

But Belle didn't wake up, she just lay there, her eyes closed and her cheeks a ghostly white.

"Ok, ok," said Aden, standing up, his voice jumpy with panic. "I'm going to go get some help babe ok, I promise I'll be back soon. Everything's going to be alright, everything's going to be fine!"

Bending down beside her, he lifted her head so he could kiss her, his lips wet with the tears cascading from his eyes.

He walked back down the road, looking back at her every few seconds. He looked around for any signs of life. There was nobody in sight. Aden couldn't even hear the car's on the motorway anymore.

There were really lost.

Running along the road, Aden kept calling out, crying for help. He knew nobody could hear him but he still called out, desperately denying the fact that this was it. Finally, he fell into a heap on the road, crying into his hands. Lifting his head, his screamed out. A few startled birds flew from trees over his head but apart from that, nothing registered Aden's cries and screams.

"No, I've got to keep going!" he cried, standing up again, Belle's smiling face at the front of his mind. "Belle. Belle needs me! I've got to keep going!"

As he kept running along the road, Aden finally came to a crossroads. He stood and waited. Hopefully a car would come his way. Hopefully someone could help him, could help Belle.

Then, it was like God was answering his praise. In the distance, Aden saw a pair of car lights heading his way.

"HEY! HEY!" he cried out, jumping up and down, trying to catch the drivers attention. The car sped up towards him, and when it approached the driver rolled down the window. It was Sean.

"Aden? What are you doing here?" he asked, stepping out of the car. "Are you ok?"

"No, no I'm not mate," he said, now taking in deep breaths. "Please, you've got to help me! Car broken down, Belle in labour, fainted," he was now too out of breath to manage much more.

Without a word, Sean dragged him into the car, and they sped off down the road. Finally they approached Aden's broken-down car. Before it had even stopped, Aden jumped out of the car and fell to his knees at Belle's head.

She was still unconscious.

"Everything's going to be alright, babe!" he cried, tears rolling down his cheeks again, as he kissed her. "Everything's going to be fine!"

"I've got a 34 week pregnancy," said Rachel, as she wheeled Belle's guerney into the ER, followed closely by Aden. "Mother fainted on scene. Has been semi-conscious!"

"Right, we've got to get those babies out now!" cried Dr. Harding, pulling on a pair of gloves and a mask. "How long as she been in labour?"

Rachel looked at Aden.

"Um....for about an hour I think," he said, nervously, his eyes fixated on Belle's unconscious form. "She fainted about 2 minutes after her waters broke. Rachel, what's going on? Is she going to be alright?"

"We don't know at this stage Aden, I'm sorry," said Rachel, gently forcing him out of the room. "Our priority now our the babies! If we don't get them out now, both Belle and the babies could die!"

Aden's legs almost gave way underneath him.

"Well, why can't I stay?" said Aden, reaching towards the door. "I've got to see Belle, Rachel!"

"You can't right now," said Rachel, putting a restraining arm on his chest. "Later! Now, I've got to go and help Dr. Harding," she said. "Is someone coming to keep you company?"

"Um, yeah," said Aden, pincing the bridge of his nose with his fingers, his eyes closed. "Irene's on her way, and Imogen and Sean should be here within minutes!"

"Ok, well just stay here and wait for them ok," said Rachel, before disappearing in Theatre.

Aden stayed staring at the doors even after she'd gone. Belle was in there, and she could possibly die.

"This cannot be happening!" he said, sitting down beside his legs gave-way. "This cannot be happening!"

"Right, I'm about to cut open the amniotic sac," said Dr. Harding. "Rachel, are you ready to take the babies from me?"

Rachel nodded, her eyes on Belle's face anxiously.

"Mother's heart rate is dropping," said the nurse watching the monitor. "We've got to get them out now!"

Quickly and carefully, Dr. Harding sliced the amniotic sack. There was a lot of gunge and liquid, and then Dr. Harding lifted a little baby from Belle's tummy, who suddenly began screaming and crying. He handed it quickly to Rachel, who brought it to the incubator, where the nurse would dry it off.

She quickly returned to Dr. Harding who was having trouble removing the second baby.

"The umbilical cord is wrapped around it's throat!" he said, anxiously. "Rachel, hand me that pair of scissors quickly!" he said, ugently.

Rachel handed him the scissors and soon Dr. Harding had freed the baby and was now handing it to Rachel.

But, unlike 'Baby No1', 'Baby No2' wasn't crying. Rachel and Dr. Harding began quickly working on the second baby.

"It's lungs might be blocked by fluid," said Dr. Harding, rubbing the babies back quickly.

But still it didn't cry. Suddenly the machine that it was linked to, started beeping widely.

"Get Dr. Philips in here quickly!" Rachel ordered one of the nurses. "Or we might not be able to save this baby's life!"

Belle could feel no pain.

The shocking, heart-clinching pain she had felt earlier had now subsided and now she could feel nothing but relaxation.

Her eyes were closed but she could see everything; the glorious sun was shining in front of her, sitting up perfectly in the blue sky. She, meanwhile, was lying in a meadow. Daffodils and tulips were surrounding here, almost hiding her from everything.

She could feel the wind sweeping through her hair and the birds twitering in the sky, singing to each. It was a beautiful sound, so calm and peaceful.

But then the meadow started drifting away, the birds stopped singing and the sun now began to resemble a light bulb. Then Belle opened her eyes to find herself in a hospital bed, with a light shining above her on the ceiling.

"So much for a glorious sun," she muttered, unimpressively to herself.

She then looked around her room, surprised by her surroundings. It was only towards the end of her observation, did she see Aden sleeping in a chair beside her, his head on the bed.

Belle smiled and ran her fingers gently through his hair. This roused him and his lifted his head.

"Oh Belle, your awake," he said, seeing her clearly. He jumped up and began kissing her passionately. "I was so worried!"

"Worried about what?" Belle asked in between kisses. "And careful, you'll hurt the babies!"

At this, Aden stopped and pulled away, frowning. "Belle, do you not remember what happened today?"

"No, why?" she asked, but then it all came flooding back.

She had been in the car and the pain had erupted in her stomach. She remembered her first thought had been the babies. The babies!

Now her hand flew to her tummy. She realised it has deflated some. But that must mean....

"The babies!" she cried out at last. "Where are they? Are they alright?"

Aden frown turned into a look of sadness.

"Aden, what happened?" asked Belle urgently.

"Well, there was some complication with the twins," said Aden, unable to look at Belle's face.

"What complication?!" asked Belle, ugently.

"Well, through the stress of the labour, stuff happened....!"

Belle gasped. "So......what, they're dead?"

Aden grimaced.

"I don't know babe," he said, sadly. "Rachel hasn't told us anything yet. Both of them had to be rushed off to the intensive care unit!"

"Oh....," said Belle, her heart sightly deflating now. "D'you know the sex?"

Aden shook his head. "I was too worried about you to ask! I expect Imogen and Sean will try and find out though."

Belle gasped. Imogen and Sean. She had totally forgotten about them.

But before she could think about it, there was a small knock on the door, then Rachel walked in.

"Rachel, oh my God, are the babies ok?" asked Belle, urgently, sitting up quickly. She regretted doing this instantly as a searing pain shot through her tummy.

"Belle, take it easy," warned Rachel. "You've had a very serious operation! You're stitches are going to be sore for days!"

"Never mind about me," she said. "What about the babies?"

Rachel grimaced.

"Well, the best I can tell you is, is that they're alive."

Belle could almost hear her heart breaking in two. Tears rolled down her cheeks.

Then Aden spoke up, but his voice cracked.

"Are they going to be alright, Rachel?"

Rachel sighed. "We don't know," she said. "The labour was so......so stressful, they're lucky even to be alive. The next few days will be tough for them."

Rachel smiled at them sadly. "I'm so sorry guys!"

"Do Sean and Imogen know this?" asked Aden.

"Yes," said Rachel, now looking guilty. "I wanted to tell you first, but Imogen was just so upset and heartbroken that I couldn't keep it from her. I'm sorry if that was wrong of me!"

"No Rachel, that's ok," said Aden, though unable to look at her. "Imogen and Sean are as much a part of this as we are. Thank you."

Rachel smiled and walked towards the door.

"Can we see them?" Belle managed to ask.

Rachel looked at her sadly. "Not right now. I'm sorry Belle! It's just......they're hovering between life and death at the moment. I'm not sure it's a picture you'd want to see."

Belle nodded and Rachel let herself out of the room.

Aden looked up at Belle but she could say nothing.

Her babies were holding onto life with their fingertips. And it was that moment that Belle realised that if their grip on life should ever fail, her's would too. Her life and their lives were now entwined together, and where ever they would go, she would go too.

Her mind was clear now.

If they were to die, Belle knew she would too.

Comments? :)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've gobsmacked by your comments, guys!

I really didn't think you'd like my writing so much!

I really, really appreciate it! :D

Thank you so, so much!!

Here's the next chapter!

Let me know what you think!

Chapter 32

The little hand stretched out, uncurling it's fingers. The babies mouth opened and formed a small 'O' as it yawned.

Belle smiled as she watched her babies through the incubator.

"They're so beautiful," she whispered, putting her fingers up to the glass. "So small!"

"Yeah, they are," said Aden, who was standing behind her, in awe as he watched them too.

"Can I hold them?" asked Belle eagerly, looking up at the nurse.

She bit her lip, anxiously.

"Oh please!" begged Belle. "It'll only be for a minute I promise!"

The nurse looked into her eyes and then at the babies worriedly but sighed, and smiled lightly.

"Ok, but just for a few minutes," she said. "They're very weak. They'll have to stay here for at least two more weeks!"

Belle could barely hide her excitement as the nurse lifted open the incubator, carefully put her arm under one of the babies back and lifted her from her bed.

"Careful with all the wires," said the nurse, as she nestled the baby into Belle's arms.

But Belle wasn't listening anymore. She was totally absorbed by the little baby in her arms.

"What sex is he?" asked Belle, looking up at the nurse.

The nurse smiled. "It's a little boy," she said. "And that one's a little girl," she said, indicating to the baby Aden was now holding carefully in his arms. "You now have one of each!"

"Oh no, they're not ours," said Aden, as Belle murmered softly to the little boy. "Or at least they won't be in a few hours. We're signing their adoption certs soon!"

Belle didn't look up, although she heard everything. When was she going to tell Aden she wanted to keep the babies? How could she tell him? How she could tell Sean and Imogen? It will break their hearts. But Belle knew it would break hers even more if she had to hand over her babies now.

Now, when she loved them like she'd never loved anything in the world.

She loved them as much as she loved Aden, but more in another way. They were a part of her. She was meant to love them. She just never realised she how much she loved them.

Then the machines beside them began to beep.

"I'm sorry," said the nurse. "The babies have got to go back now. They're lungs are too weak for this level of oxygen. You can hold them again tomorrow!"

Carefully Belle walked over to the incubator and lowered her little boy into his bed. He put his thumb into his mouth, rolled over and fell asleep again. Belle grinned as she watched him. When Aden had layed the baby girl down, the nurse locked the incubator and Aden and Belle resumed watching them.

"That was so amazing wasn't it," said Belle, relaxing her back against Aden's chest, as he wrapped his arms around her waist.

"Yeah, it was incredible!" he murmered, kissing her hair.

Then the door opened and in walked Sean and Imogen. Imogen looked rather surprised to see them there.

"Aden! Belle! What a surprise," she said, walking over and standing infront of the incubator. "Belle, I thought you were too sore to go anywhere?"

"Oh, the doctors allowed me up to see my babies!" explained Belle.

"I'm sorry what...?" said Imogen, in disbelief.

"I said the doctors - "

"I know what you said!" snapped Imogen. "I just can't believe you referred our babies as yours?!"

"Well, they are my babies!" said Belle, now glaring at her.

"No, they're not!"

"Actually Imogen, they are," said Aden, quietly. "Until Belle signs the adoption papers, they are still legally her babies!"

Imogen looked taken aback.

"So, could you please move out of the way," said Belle, pushing Imogen away from the incubator.

"I can't believe this," said Imogen. "Are you now saying you want to keep the babies?"

"No, of course you doesn't," began Aden. "She just - "

"Yes," said Belle, now feeling guilty.

Aden's mouth popped open, as did Sean's. But Imogen just stared at Belle in disbelief and shock.

"Please, please tell me this is a joke," she said, her voice now closing up, as tears began to fall from her eyes.

"I'm so sorry, Imogen," said Belle, sadly. "I'm being serious!"

"NO!" cried Imogen, as she fell to the floor, bursting into tears.

Sean composed himself quickly and bent down to comfort his wife.

"You, you can't do this!" he said, supporting Imogen with his arm. "You just can't! We won't, we won't let you! You're going to be hearing from our lawyers!"

With that, he backed out of the room, holding a shattered and heartbroken Imogen close to his chest, as she cried her eyes out.

When they'd left, Aden turned on Belle.

"Are you serious?" he asked, his voice a whisper.

Belle grinned at him and nodded her head.

"Really, we're parents," said Aden, his voice becoming clearer as he realised what she was saying.

"Yes, we're parents!" cried Belle.

"Woohoo!!" yelled Aden, punching the air, then grabbing Belle in a tight hug, lifting her feet off the ground, and twirling her around in a circle.

Belle was so happy. She didn't even care that the pains in her tummy from her stitches was killing her with pain. Nothing could stop her being happy in this moment. She had too beautiful babies. She and Aden were parents.

Everything was finally fitting into place.

This was where Belle wanted to be.

She knew now, she had never been happier.

"What d'you think we should call them?" asked Belle.

She was curled up on a chair, beside the incubators, watching as her babies rolled around in their sleep, dreaming peacefully.

"How about Ben?" suggested Aden.

"Oh my God, no way!" said Belle. "My first boyfriend was a Ben! And things didn't end too great! How about Jessbelle for our baby girl?"

"Nah, that's something spanish people would call there children!" he said. "I like Eric! How about that?"

"Nah! Oooh, oooh, how about Stanford?!"

"D'you want our boy to be named after a train?!" asked Aden, raising an eyebrow. "How about Kitty?"

"No, no, wait I have the best one for a boy!" said Belle, sitting up in the chair. "Robert?"

Aden smiled. "That's perfect!" he exclaimed. "Well, let me choose one for the girl, ok?"

"Chrissy!"

"No way!"

"Abigail!"

"Nooooooooooo!!"

"Caitríona?"

"Eh......"

Aden took a moment to think again. Then his face lit up and he grinned.

"I have it," he said, standing up and looking down at their baby girl.

"Iliana!"

Comment? :)

Thank you so much Carina, hitmanfan, Steph, Gee, RR1 & Scotcaz22 for your lovely, lovely comments! :D

I had a feeling you would all like that chapter! :wink:

Got quite a few happy ones coming up for awhile.

Scotcaz, you pretty much predicted what was going to happen in this chapter! :wink:

Time to hear what Iliana thinks about this revelation.....

Chapter 33

Shock.

There was no other word for it.

Maybe confusion, a little bit of frustration.

But ultimately shock.

Anger would come to Iliana later, anger as to why her Mother didn't tell her all this.

That however, would come later.

First Iliana had to deal with the realisation that she had a brother.

"A brother!" she murmered to herself.

"What did you say Illy?" asked Chris.

Iliana looked over to the kitchen, where her husband was making coffee.

"I have a brother," she whispered, still in awe and shock.

Chris frowned, confused but then his eyes widened as he noticed the diary on his wife's lap.

"No, no way!" he said, walking over, picking it up and reading it.

"My God," he said, putting it down again. "You're mother was a right old dark horse wasn't she!"

Iliana nodded, barely able to speak.

"Hey, are you ok?" murmered Chris, sitting down beside her and putting his arm around her.

"Hmm, I'm fine," said Iliana, her voice cracking up. "It's just a shock that's all."

"Of course, it is," said Chris, rubbing her back, soothingly.

"Like, you've grown up all your life thinking you know yourself, but really you don't!" she said. "D'you know what this means?"

"What means, darling?"

"My father....is not my father," she said, her voice becoming a whisper. "Daddy is not who I thought he was. This means Alan Davies is not my father, just some vile, disgusting man!" she cried, now jumping up from the sofa. "Who took advantage of my mother when she was at her lowest point!"

"Shh," said Chris, trying to calm her down.

"And now, and now, I find out I have a brother who I have never known!" she cried. "A twin brother! I never knew him Chris! I can't even remember him! Why didn't she tell me?!" she said, collapsing into the sofa again and burying her face in her hands. "Why couldn't she tell me?"

"Shh, Illy it's ok," said Chris, murmering in her ear. "I'm sure Mum had her reasons. The last thing she would do would be to hurt you on purpose. You don't know the full story yet! Find out before you judge her! The outcome may be different than you think!"

Chris kissed her on the forehead as she looked up at him.

"Are you suggesting that I keep reading this?" she said, holding up the diary, looking at it cautiously.

"I am, but if you can't babe, it's ok," he said. "I'm not going to force you!"

"No, you're right," said Iliana. "I need to hear the full story. I want to finish this book anyway. I think no matter what is said or happens in this diary, I'm gona wanna keep reading it!"

Chris chuckled and smiled as he saw Iliana snuggle back into the couch, the diary propped up in her lap.

Draining his mug of coffee, he went over to the stairs.

"George! Abbey! C'mon, the sun will be gone if we don't go now!" he called up to them. "Unless of course, you don't want to go swimming.....?"

Suddenly, there was a stampede of feet on the landing as Abbey and George went looking for their swim gear.

Chris chuckled and grabbed his jacket off the stairs.

George was first to appear.

"All set?" asked Chris.

George showed him his bag, went to kiss his Mum goodbye and then ran out the door.

"Abbey, c'mon or we'll leave without you!"

"No, no, Daddy wait, Daddy wait!" Chris heard Abbey cry from upstairs. "I can't find my rubber ducky!"

"Chris honey, it's in the car from last week," said Iliana, looking over the book at him.

Chris nodded and called up the stairs again. "Abbey honey, I have it, it's ok!"

Chris quickly pecked Iliana on the cheek and followed his son out the door.

"You better hurry sweety," said Iliana, as Abbey came running down the stairs.

"Ok Mummy!" said Abbey, grabbing her teddy from her chair and running to the door.

"Oooh, I forgot!" she squealed.

She ran over to where Iliana sat on the couch. Jumping up, she wrapped her little arms around Iliana's neck and kissed her on the cheek.

"I love you Mommy!" she said, smiling at her.

Iliana smiled back and kissed her forehead.

"I love you too!"

Abbey grinned, hopped off her Mum's lap and hurried out the door!

Comments?

iHave never written a fanfiction because although iHave so many ideas, whcih are quite good, there would be no way that iCould keep the readers hooked like you have done.

Carina, if you have an idea for a story, just go for it!

I would support you, as would everyone else, 100% of the way!

I promise you now if you started a fan fic, i would leave a comment after every chapter offering support, constructive criticism etc!

Just go for it gurl! I'm sure the story would be brilliant :wink:

Thanks to the rest of you, Tele, RR1 & Scotcaz22 for your lovely comments!

Nobody mentioned how they saw the title of fan fic in that last chapter! First time its appeared i think! :P

So here the next chapter! :)

Chapter 34

Robert cried as he woke up from his afternoon nap, rolling around in his bed.

"Aw baby, baby, what's up?" said Belle, walking over and carefully lifting him out of his cot.

"Shh, shh," said Belle, gently shaking him up and down in her arms soothingly. "Don't cry for Mummy, please don't!"

Then Robert opened his eyes, and looked up at Belle. She smiled down at him. Letting out one more cry, Robert stopped and reached out his little fingers at Belle's face.

"Yes, you're such a beautiful little boy aren't you!" cooed Belle, as he patted her cheek lightly. "Yes you are, yes you are!"

Then, as if he knew where she was sleeping, Robert reached over to Iliana's empty cot.

"Sorry sweety," said Belle, walking around the room, rocking him gently. "Daddy's taken your sister out for a walk! They'll be back soon though, don't worry!"

Then as she said it, Aden walked in through the doors, Iliana curled up in his arms.

"See, there they are!" said Belle, walking over to them. "Robbie wanted to know where his Daddy and sister were, didn't you sweety!" she told Aden.

Robert touched Belle's face.

"That means yes," Belle told Aden, grinning. Aden chuckled.

There was a small knock on the door, and Rachel walked in.

"How's the happy family?" she asked, smiling at them widely.

"Oh, we're all doing very good," said Belle, happily.

"Well, I've got good news for you all!" said Rachel. "You can take the babies home today!"

Both Aden and Belle's mouth popped opem, and if Belle had not been holding Robert in her arms, she would have screamed out in shock.

"Oh my God! Are you serious?" she hissed, excitedly.

"Yes, I am!" said Rachel, grinning at them both.

Laying both babies down in their beds, Aden and Belle both hugged Rachel, then embraced passionately. She quietly crept out of the room, leaving them alone.

Belle wrapped her arms around his neck as she kissed him.

"I love you so much!" she said, laying her forehead against his.

"As I love you!" said Aden, closing his eyes and kissing her once more.

"Hello!" said Belle, as she and Aden arrived home, the babies in their carrier seats.

The house looked deserted.

"Odd," said Aden, frowning. "I call Irene before we left! She knew we were -

"Surprise!" cried everyone, jumping up from behind the sofa.

Belle and Aden gasped. Nearly everyone they loved was there. Geoff and Nicole, Xavier and Ruby, Irene, Amanda, Annie and Romeo, Martha and Alf, and Mattie and Ric.

"Oh my God, guys!" said Belle, walking into the living room. "You threw a party for us!"

"Of course we did, darl!" said Irene, walking forward and kissing. "Not everyday two little angels are born into this town! Now let's see them!"

Gently Aden and Belle lifted Robert and Iliana out of their seats and walked around the room to show everyone their new little babies. Everyone 'aww'ed and gasped as they saw them, sleeping quietly in their parents arms.

"Oh my God guys! They're so beautiful!" said Mattie, as they finally reached them. "What are they're names?"

"This is Iliana," said Belle, indicating to the little baby in her arms. "And this is Robert," she said, pointing to the baby in Aden's arms.

"Oh my God!" said Mattie, her eyes practially melting as she looked at the babies. "May I hold one?"

"Yeah of course," said Belle. "Here," she said, passing her Iliana. "Careful now, hold her head!"

"Ok....hey!" she said, smiling down at her. "Hey, beautiful, how are you?"

Iliana just lay asleep in her arms.

"Oh Belle, she's just....just...."

"Yeah, I know," said Belle, rubbing her hand over Iliana's forehead. "We're glad you like her!"

"Like her? I love her," said Mattie, beaming at her.

"Good," said Belle. "Because we'd like you and Ric to be her godparents!"

Mattie gasped. Ric almost spat out the drink he was sipping.

"Seriously?" he spluttered

"Yeah, are you serious?! Oh my God, thank you!" she cried.

Her voice was so loud that Iliana awoke and started crying.

"Oh, oh, I'm sorry," said Mattie, handing her back to Belle.

"Don't worry, don't worry!" said Belle, rocking Iliana gently. "She's probably just hungry!"

Then Robert started crying beside her.

"Yeah, yeah, they're both hungry!" said Belle, laughing. Mattie looked relieved.

"Aden, have you got the baby feed?" asked Belle, walking over to the kitchen.

"I went shopping for you guys, you're all stocked up," said Irene, taking a packet of baby milk powder out of the cupboard.

"You're brilliant Irene, thanks so much," said Belle, laying Iliana in her baby carrier, and going to make up the milk.

Within minutes she had made both bottles, handed one to Aden and placed the other one gently in Iliana's mouth.

"There you go baby!" said Belle, as Iliana sucked on the bottle greedily. "All better!"

Soon both babies had drained their bottles.

"I think we should put them down to bed now Aden," said Belle, seeing that it was 5.30pm on the clock.

"Ok, c'mon," said Aden, following her into their room where a baby cot was errected.

"There you go, my beautifuls," said Belle, as they laid the babies down.

Laying little blue and pink blankets over them, Aden and Belle watched as both babies curled up and went to sleep.

Belle sighed. "We are so lucky," she said, laying her head on Aden's shoulder.

He murmered in agreement. "So lucky!"

Comments? :)

Thank you RR1, Scotcaz22, carina, nicole & Gee for your lovely comments! :)

I really appreciate it!

God, you're all coming up with so many theories! :P

I promise you, all will be revealed in the upcoming chapters!

So, here's the next chapter! :wink:

Chapter 35

The phone was ringing, and Iliana was crying in Aden's arms.

Phone or crying baby?! thought Aden, staring from one to the other.

Meanwhile the phone still continued to ring and Iliana cried louder.

Then, hearing his sister cry, Robert burst into tears from where he lay in his swing chair.

"Oh c'mon babies, please stop!" said Aden, laying Iliana down beside her brother, and rocking the chair, trying to soothe them.

But still the babies cried louder.

"What was I thinking?!" Aden asked himself. "'Oh Aden, honey, are you sure you'll be ok on your own with the twins? Oh yes babe, I'll be absolutely fine!' Why the hell did I say that?!"

Iliana cried louder from her chair, as if trying to recapture Aden's attention.

"Oh Illy, please don't," cried Aden. "You'll only make Robbie cry louder!" and as he said it, Robbie burst into another round of tears and wailing.

"Ok, ok, how about this," said Aden. Then he stuck his too fingers in his mouth, pulling his lips apart and rolled around his eyes.

"See, Daddy's a clown!"

Slowly the babies crying ceased, then they burst out laughing.

Aden's mouth popped open. "Oh my God, did you just laugh?!"

Robert giggled even louder, as if agreeing with him.

"Oh my God, I heard you're first laugh!" said Aden, running his fingers through his hair, in complete awe. "Jeez, if only Belle was here to see this!"

"To see what?" asked Belle, as she walked through the backdoor, laiden with shopping bags.

"I made the babies laugh!" said Aden, jumping up and pointing at the swing chair estatically.

"Oh my God, really?!" said Belle rushing over. "And I missed it! Awww," she said, sadly.

"Look here, I'll make them do it again," he said, beginning to jumo around, making monkey noises.

Iliana and Robert burst into giggles again.

"Oh my God, you are so brilliant," said Belle, beaming down at them. "Yes, you are! Yes, you are!" she said, bending down and tickling them.

They squirmed around giggling and gurgling in their swing chairs.

Then the phone rang again.

"I'll get it!" said Aden. "Finally I'll be able to get it," he muttered.

"Aden Jefferies speaking," he said, putting the phone up to his ear.

"Hi Aden, it's Peter! Listen, would you and Belle be able to come down to the station now?"

"Um, I suppose, why?"

"Well, we've got a number of suspects for Belle's rape case and we need you guys to identify the right guy!"

"I see," said Aden, looking over at Belle, who was happily playing with the babies.

Did he really want to shatter her happiness now?

"Aden?" said Peter, hearing the pause. "Look I know it's uncomfortable for you guys, but the sooner you identify whoever did it, the sooner he goes to jail!"

"Yeah.....thanks Peter," said Aden slowly.

"So, are you going to come down?" he asked.

"Yeah, ok," said Aden, putting down the phone.

Belle looked up at Aden as he re-entered the kitchen, Robert now propped up securely in her arms, still smiling.

"Who was that?"

Belle saw Aden's solemn face and the smile slowly faded away.

Peter looked up as he heard a knock on his door, and in walked Belle and Aden.

"Guys, how are you?" he said, smiling at them. "How are the babies?"

"They're fine, thank you," said Belle, not smiling. "Irene and Mattie are minding them!

"Peter, how about we just get this over and done with," said Aden, taking Belle's shaking hand and squeezing it gently.

Peter nodded understandingly, stood up and lead them to the door out to the recepetion.

Belle turned pale as they neared the door to the examination room, her body beginning to shake. Then, just as Peter put his hand on the door knob, she came to an abrupt halt, grasping Aden's arm.

I can't di it!" she cried, her voice breaking and tears rolling down her cheeks. "I can't do it Aden, I'm sorry!"

"Shh, Shh, you don't have to do anything, ok," said Aden, pulling her into a hug. "It's ok, I'm here!"

Over her shoulder, he shook his head at Peter. He nodded and looked at Aden.

"Could you -

"No I'm sorry, I can't," said Aden, kissing Belle's hair reassuringly.

Peter sighed. "Well then there's only one alternative!"

Bell pulled away from Aden to look at Peter.

"What alternative?" she asked.

"Well, whoever raped you is the father of your babies, correct?"

Belle nodded, not sure where he was going with this.

"Well, we could take DNA from all the suspects, then if you get - "

"A paternity test on the babies," finished Belle, now understanding. "You'll be able to identify the killer."

""Yes," said Peter. "So, do we?"

"Do you what?"

"Belle, can we have permission to take a paternity test on your babies?"

Belle looked at him anxiously.

Telling him yes would be the right thing to do, but it could have result in some horrible consequences.

She didn't know what to do.

Did she want to hide the truth or for justice to be served.

That was the question; truth or justice?

Comments? :wub:

Hey all, thanks for your lovely comments!

Sorry for not updating soon, but I'm here to make it up to you! :)

Here's the next chapter!

Let me know what you think! :wink:

Chapter 36

Mattie and Irene looked up as they heard Belle and Aden walk in the back door.

"Hey guys, how'd it go?" asked Irene, as Belle pushed Robert's pram into the living room.

"Horrible!" said Belle, tucking his blanket more closely around him. "Robert started crying as Rachel put in the needle, and then Iliana started crying! I swear, they're twin thing is that they can feel each other's pain!"

"Oh I'm sure it must have been so hard," said Mattie, as Aden sat down, wrapping a comforting arm around Belle.

"It was!" said Belle, laying her head against Aden's shoulder. "Knowing something I had consented to was causing them such pain was excruciating! I hope I never have to go through anything like that again!"

"Are they ok now?" asked Irene, standing up and peering into their prams. "You sure you don't want to put them into their bed?"

"We would Irene just, they just got to sleep and jostling them might wake them up again," explained Aden.

"Yes, of course," said Irene, running her finger down Iliana's soft cheek.

"Well, we better get a start on dinner then," said Belle wearily, standing up.

"No you won't!" said Irene, exhanged a grin with Mattie. "Not when you two have reservations in La Belle Vie!"

"Since when?" asked Belle, frowning incredulously.

"Since Irene and I booked it earlier on!" said Mattie, grinning smugly.

"Everything's paid for," said Irene. "All you two have to do is enjoy yourselves. Let your hair down, get dressed up! God knows, you haven't had a break in awhile!"

"Irene, Mattie, thank you so much," said Aden, hugging them both.

"Yes, thank you," said Belle, kissing Irene and giving Mattie a bear hug. "You guys are the best!"

"Oh stop it!" said Irene. "Now go and get yourselves ready! Dinner's at seven!"

Belle giggled, grabbed Aden's hand and ran off to their room.

"Now sweeties," said Irene, beaming down at the babies. "How about me and your Aunty Mattie get your dinner, huh?"

"What's on the menu for them today Irene?" asked Mattie, following her into the kitchen.

"Mashed bananas!" said Irene, chuckling. "Their favourite!"

"I'll make Iliana's," said Mattie, taking a banana from the fruit bowl.

And by the time Belle and Aden return to the kitchen, Robert's finished eating and Mattie is serving Iliana her last few mouthfuls, the baby lying obediently in her arms.

"I can't find my keys," said Aden, searching the room.

"There on the fridge I think, Aden," said Mattie, bouncing Iliana up and down, patting her back.

"Thanks," said Aden, grabbing them.

In Irene's arms, Robert yawned widely.

"Somebody's tired," said Belle, reaching out and taking Robert from her. "Mummy will put you to bed sweetheart!"

Belle walked into the bedroom, followed by Mattie.

Laying the babies down in their cot, Belle tucked them in, kissing them both softly. Mattie quietly slipped out of the room, leaving Belle with her children.

"Goodnight my sweethearts," she said, blowing them final kisses and following Mattie out the door.

"Bye Irene! Bye Mattie!" said Belle, as she and Aden walked out the backdoor.

"Bye! Enjoy!" said Irene, waving at them.

"I think I'll make a cup of tea darl, want one?" she said, walking over to the fridge.

"Yes, please," said Mattie.

Irene opened the fridge, then groaned.

"We've no milk!" she said, closing it again. "I'll have to go out and get some more! Will you be ok on your own for a few mins darl?" she said, grabbing her keys.

"Yeah, of course," said Mattie. "You go! I'll be fine here!"

"Thanks darl," said Irene, rushing out the door.

Looking around for something to do, Mattie spied a couple of magazines on the coffee table. Snuggling into the softest chair, Mattie flicked through the magazine.

She stopped suddenly as she saw drops of blood appearing on the page.

"Oh no," she said, pinching her nose, trying to stop the bleeding.

Running to the bathroom, she grabbed a handful of tissue paper and held it up to her nose. Finally it stopped.

"Oh my God, my make-up!" she cried. Grabbing her foundation, she smoothed it on over the bloody mess.

In all her rushing about, Mattie didn't hear the lock turning in the door.

"There we go," she said, admiring herself in the mirror a few minutes later.

Zipping her make-up bag shut, she went to open the door.

"Hey, what's going on?" she said, pushing it with all her weight.

"Hey! Hey! Let me out!" she cried, banging on the door.

"Please, please, let me out!"

She glanced around the room frantically, looking for anything that could get her out.

Then she spotted the open window.

Carefully, she climbed up on the lid of the toilet, onto the window sil and slipped one leg out the window and onto the outside sil. Putting her head through the window next, Mattie managed to get both legs out.

She jumped off the window sil and ran around to the front door.

Looking around the living room, Mattie couldn't see anything missing. She searched all the rooms downstairs, finally resolving with calling the police.

But as she passed Aden and Belle's room, she saw the door was wide open.

But I only left it open a crack, thought Mattie, walking into the room.

It only took her a second to see it, and even less to collapse against the door, her body shaking all over.

The babies cot was empty.

I feel really bad right now coz I haven't written in nearly a week!

I'm sorry for leaving you all in suspense!

So without further ado, here's the next chapter!

Enjoy, my faithful readers! I write this story for you! :wink:

Chapter 37

Their cries grew closer, Belle could tell with every step she took.

Then there was a door. The babies were behind the door.

Belle burst through the door, however she came face-to-face with the same door.

She continued running through them, her babies desperate cries ringing through her ears.

Finally she ran into a room, and saw a cot in the corner, the babies rolling around and crying inside it.

Belle breathed a sigh of relief.

They were fine now, everything was going to be ok.

She walked over and stretched her arms out to lift them up.

Then.....she woke up.

Her eyes popped wide open as she sat up suddenly in the bed.

Staring around the dark room, she saw the outline of the babies cot beside the wardrobe.

Walking over, she looked in to see it was empty.

The sheets were cold, unused. The babies had been missing for weeks.

The cot was empty when it should be holding Belle's sleeping babies as they dreamt colourful dreams.

But the babies were gone.....in the arms of someone else and who knows what dreams or nightmares they were having.

Belle wrapped her arms around her waist tightly, almost bruising her skin.

She couldn't cry anymore.....even though she wanted to.

She had cried solid for two days after they.....they disappeared.

Her body was drained of fluid, so Belle had no more tears to cry.

She cried tearlessly instead, moaning quietly into the night.

In their bed, Aden stirred and jumped up suddenly when he saw Belle standing beside the cot.

He saw her begin to sway and reached her just in time before she collapsed onto the floor.

She moaned loudly into his shirt, as he held her on the floor, smoothing her hair with his hand.

He knew nothing he could say could help her suffering, so in some ways it was better to say nothing.

The door slowly opened and Irene stood in the doorway, her dressing gown and pjamas on, but she had not been sleeping.

Nobody could sleep at the moment.

In an attempt of desperation, Aden insisted on the Rachel prescribing Belle's sleeping tablets for her insomnia, for she had not slept for more than two hours a day since the babies were kidnapped.

The tablets knocked her out for a good eight hours and for awhile Aden and Irene were relieved for solving that problem, but another arose quickly; Belle refused to eat, and through Aden and Irene forcing her to eat, she had become bulimic.

Even when she ate nothing, she could be heard making herself sick as either Irene, Mattie or Aden passed the bathroom.

Mattie was as good as invisible now to Belle. Irene and Aden were as understanding as they could be but Belle......she had screamed and cried at Mattie on discovering the babies were missing that dreadful night but since then, she barely registered she was in the room.

Mattie accepted this. She knew it would be a long time before she earned Belle's forgiveness.

Aden looked up at Irene as he saw her standing in the bedroom doorway.

"Call the hospital please Irene," he said quietly. "This is getting serious!"

Irene nodded and pulled the phone out of her pocket and dialled the number.

Within minutes of Irene calling an ambulance, the paramedics had arrived and were now lifting a very weak Belle onto a stretcher and were loading her into the ambulance.

"What's going on?" asked Mattie, as she burst into the kitchen, quickly throwing on her dressing gown.

"Belle's got worse," said Irene, her voice barely a whisper. She did not look at Mattie but watched as the paramedics settled Belle into the ambulance. "Aden's worried."

As she said this, Aden clambered in after the paramedics had jumped out, sitting down beside Belle, taking her hand.

The paramedics shut the ambulance doors, jumped into the front and drove off.

Irene closed the backdoor and sighed.

"I'm not going to be able to sleep now," she said. She looked up at the clock, it was 6am. "I think I'll just go to the hospital and see how Belle is."

"I'll come," said Mattie.

"No darl, you stay here," said Irene, sleepily but firmly. "It's probably better."

"Ok....." murmered Mattie quietly.

She watched Irene run upstairs, throwing on a pair of clothes. Irene came slowly down the stairs again, rubbing the sleep out of her eyes, car keys in her hand.

"Not sure when I'll be back," she said. "Help yourself to whatever."

"Thanks," said Mattie quietly. "Let me know how she is, please!" she said, in a slightly begging tone.

"Of course," said Irene, then she walked out the backdoor and disappeared into the darkness, leaving Mattie feeling guiltier and guiltier by the second.

"What's the disgnosis doc?" asked Aden, as Dr Harding walked in, carrying a clip board.

Dr Harding looked up from his clipboard at Belle, who was now sleeping in the hospital bed, purple circles under her eyes and her cheeks pinched.

"Miss Taylor is suffering from mal-nutrition, insomnia and bulimia," he said, gravely. "Her mal-nutrition is the most serious thing at the moment however, so it is vital we treat it first. May I ask what brought this on?"

Irene and Aden exchanged dark looks.

"Oh, oh, I'm so sorry," said Dr Harding, realisation dawning on his face. "You're the family who's babies are......"

"Missing? Yes, we are," said Aden, seriously. "Look, can you please help her!" he said, looking desperately at Belle. "She won't eat, she won't sleep, she won't talk! She just stays in her room all day. I'm the only one she'll let near her! I'm really worried doctor, please help us!"

"Look, we're going to keep her in for a few days," he said, in a reassuring tone. "When her condition improves, we can arrange for her to speak to a counsellor, if you wish?"

Aden looked at Irene.

"I think that's a good idea, darl," she said, touching Belle's cheek for the first time in weeks. "She needs help!"

Aden looked back at the doctor. "Ok doc, that would be great!"

He smiled lightly. "Well, we've started treating her already! She's being fed ultravenously so she should feel better soon. Once she's fed, it should be easier for her to sleep, so we might be able to avoid giving her sleeping pills."

"What about the bulimia?" asked Irene, anxiously. "How are you going to prevent her from making herself sick?"

"She can't do anything while we're feeding her ultravenously but once she returns to solid food, hopefully we'll have the counsellor helping her get over it. Bulimia is not a medical problem, Mr Jefferies. Medicine cannot stop your girlfriend from hurting herself. We can only help any pain she causes her body!"

Aden nodded. "Thanks doc," he said, smiling lightly.

"I'll be back soon," said Dr Harding, smiling at them reassuringly as he left the room.

Aden breathed out heavily but it was jumpy as tears flowed from his eyes.

"Hey, shh," said Irene, reassurinly, hugging him gently. "She's going to be alright, don't worry!"

"Everything's going so wrong Irene," said Aden, crying into Belle's bed sheet. "We're meant to be happy! We have....had too beautiful children and we had each other!"

"You're still going to have that!" said Irene. "When the babies are found and Belle's better, everything's going to go back to normal," she said, reassuringly, although not believing the words she was saying.

"You know I was going to propose," he said, pulling out of the hug and looking up at her, his eyes bloodshot.

Irene froze, in heartbreaking shock.

"Yeah, I was just waiting for the right moment," he said. "Everything was just so perfect, I couldn't believe my luck! It just felt like the right time, the perfect thing to complete our family."

Irene still couldn't say anything. She didn't know what to say. Tears were now running slowly down her cheeks.

"I had bought the ring and everything," he said, returning to look at Belle's finally peaceful face, the purple rings under her eyes now fading. "I was just waiting for the right moment! Then everything came crashing down!"

"Things.....are going to turn out alright, Aden," Irene finally said. "I know they will."

He looked into her face, sadly. "I wish I was as certain!"

He turned back to watch Belle's face. She was for once not looking shocked or upset, desperate or hopeless. She just looked like Belle.

But Aden had to get up and leave. He stood up suddenly and left the room, Irene surprised eyes staring after him.

His reasons for leaving; he could plainly see Iliana and Robert's innocent faces copied exactly in Belle's face, and it was those faces that were breaking Aden's heart beyond repair.

Hey guys, this chapter was meant to be posted last night but there was a little problem!

Had everything typed out, pressed 'post' and then my internet failed and I lost everything! :(

I didn't really feel like typing the whole thing out again so i left it till this afternoon! :)

So, sorry for the delay! Hope you like the chapter!

Let me know what you think! :)

Chapter 38

Running out the hospital doors and into the carpark, Aden fell to his knees, burying his face in his hands, bursting into tears.

Everything that could go wrong, was going wrong!

They had been so happy! Everything was so perfect! The babies were safe and growing bigger everyday, and looking more like Belle by the second. Their relationship had been on such a high, Aden had almost proposed.

If only Belle hadn't received that fatal call that night in the restaurant, they might be planning the wedding now.

Thinking of this, caused Aden to cry out loudly across the carpark.

He didn't even look up as he heard feet running towards him.

"Aden? Oh Aden, I'm so sorry!"

It was Nicole. Aden knew it from the smell of her shampoo. She was now down on her knees, hugging his shaking body, whispering comfortingly in his ear.

Eventually she managed to pull him to his feet, only to grab him in a tight hug again, and bursting into tears against his chest.

"Oh Aden, I'm so sorry!" she moaned through the tears. "I just got back! Bumped into Colleen in the diner! She told me everything! Told me Belle had to be taken to hospital! Oh Aden, I'm so sorry!"

He really didn't know what to do. He instintively wrapped his arms around her.

"Are you ok?" asked Nicole, pulling out of his arms, and putting both hands on either side of his face. "You must be hurting so much!"

He looked down at the ground, a tear rolling down his cheek.

Nicole whimpered and hugged him again tightly.

"How's Belle? Is she alright?" she asked urgently, pulling him back towards the hospital.

"Not good," murmered Aden. "She wouldn't eat, wouldn't sleep, and then when we made her eat, she forced herself to be sick!"

Nicole gasped quietly. "Oh, the poor thing! And do they have any idea where the babies are?"

Aden shook his head, his heart breaking as he did so.

Nicole moaned, turning her face into his chest. He hugged her back tightly.

Walking back into Belle's room, Irene looked up as she saw them enter. She quickly flung her arms around Nicole who burst into tears at the sight of Belle's thin, shallow, frail body.

"Oh darl, it's so good you're here!" said Irene, kissing her.

"I would have been here sooner," said Nicole, looking at Belle sadly. "If I'd known.....I only just found out! I came straight here! I didn't want to be anywhere else!"

There was a pause, a moment silence where no one spoke. Irene and Nicole were fixated on Belle's face, both their faces the epitomy of sadness and heartbreak. But Aden couldn't look at any of them. He wasn't sure how much his heart could stand.

Then Belle's fingers twitched and she moaned quietly.

Irene and Nicole gasped, and Aden jumped up from his chair.

"Was that Belle?" he asked, looking at them desperately. Irene nodded.

Aden quickly pulled a chair over and sat down beside Belle, quickly taking her fragile hand.

"Belle? Belle, can you hear me?"

There was silence and then Belle's eyelids twitched slightly, her fingers curling around Aden's.

"Aden...." she murmered, searching for him through closed eyes.

"I'm here babe," he said, quietly.

She turned her head in the direction of his voice and opened her eyes a crack. He smiled as he saw her chocolate brown eyes.

"Hey," he said, touching her face gently.

"Hey," she murmered, closing her eyes again. "It's really you, isn't it?"

"Yeah, of course it is, babe!"

"I'm not dead or anything," she murmered.

"No, definately not! I would not allow that!"

She chuckled, and Aden's mouth spread into a wide grin.

"Oh Belle, I was so worried!"

"I'm sorry for worrying you," she said, softly. "I should have thought of you more!"

"You have nothing to be sorry about babe!" he said quietly, pulling a strand of hair away from her face. "None of this is you're fault!"

Belle 'Mmmm'd, nodding her head.

"Where are the babies? Are they here to?"

Aden's eyes widened and he looked up anxiously at Irene. Her face was just as worried.

"Babe.....do you not remember what happened?"

Belle said nothing for a minute, but then she moaned and a few tears fell from her eyes.

"I thought that was just part of the dream! I thought they'd be here when I woke up!"

"Shh, shh babe," said Aden, wiping her tears away, as his own tears hit her duvet. "It's all going to be alright, don't worry!"

"Do you know where they are?" she asked him seriously, her eyes wide open now.

Aden sighed. "No, I don't," he said, sadly.

"Then how can you be sure it's going to be alright?"

She laid back against the pillow again, closing her eyes.

"D'you want us to go?" asked Aden.

"Yes," she said suddenly. Aden was shocked but stood up obediently.

"No, wait," said Belle, reaching out and grabbing his hand. "Stay with me! Just you!"

Aden looked back apologetically at Nicole, Mattie and Irene. They nodded understandingly, gathered their belongings and went to leave.

"I'm so glad you're awake Belle," said Nicole, leaning down and hugging her tightly.

"I'm so glad you're here," said Belle, sincerety running through her every word.

Nicole kissed her cheek, hugged Aden tightly and quietly left the room.

Aden sat down beside Belle again, taking her hand.

"I'm sorry I was like that before," she said quietly. "You were only trying to help!"

"It's ok," he said, squeezing her hand gently. "You're hurting I get that! But I am too, babe, don't forget that! I want to find them as much as you do!"

Belle nodded, her face still sad.

"D'you think they're ok?" she asked.

"I hope so," said Aden, thinking of their smiling faces. "I really hope so!"

"Raindrops and roses, and whiskers on kittens, bright copper kettles and warm woollen mittens! Brown paper packages tied up with string, these are a few of my faovurite....things!"

She smiled as she looked down at them. Her babies. Sleeping peacefully in their bed. Her voice her sent them off to their land of dreams.

For she had such a beautiful voice she knew she could send anyone off into their dreams.

She smiled at her own brilliance.

She didn't feel guilty at all for putting a crushed pill in their bottles before they fell asleep. They hadn't gone off for hours the first night, and she knew this helped the process along.

The drug was strong enough that it would knock them out for five or six hours at least.

Just like Mother did with me, she thought, smiling to herself.

She hadn't told her husband, he would never have approved!

She convinced herself it was because of her singing, that her beautiful babies were asleep.

Her voice. Her brilliance.

She still had the smug smile on her face as her husband entered the room.

"I just managed to get away," he said, putting the shopping bag on the table. "The police are questioning everybody! Stopping them at traffic lights, petrol stations, shopping centres, to ask you questions and search your car!"

"You escaped from them though, I am proud of you!" she said, laying her hand against his cheek, smiling at them lovingly.

"With difficulty though," he said, looking uncomfortable. "Are you sure we're doing the right thing by doing this?"

"Of course we are," she said, walking away from and back over to the babies bed where she smiled down at them lovingly.

"The children are perfect with me.....with us, I mean! So quickly and peacefully they fall asleep in my arms! I was born to be a mother!"

"I still don't think - "

"Stop this uncertainty!" she said, sternly. "We are doing this for the right reasons, d'you understand?"

He paused, surveying her face. "Of course I do," he finally said.

She smiled at him. "Good! I was beginning to think for a moment that you didn't want these babies? That you don't want to be a father?"

"No, no of course I do!" he said, walking over beside them! I'm just not sure this is the way!"

"This is the only way!" she said, smiling at him sternly. "The only way!"

Looking down at the babies, Imogen smiled triumphantly while Sean looked uncertainly at his wife, afraid by the look in her eyes, and wondering whether they had done the right thing after all.

Hey all!

Was meant to post this chapter a few days ago but things kinda got in the way!

Anyway, here it is.....enjoy! :wink:

Chapter 39

Belle's eyes fluttered open as she became aware of her surroundings.

She could hear phones ringing, footsteps walking up and door past her, doors opening and slamming loudly.

She lifted her head and groaned as she felt the crick in her neck.

Smoothing her hand over it, she looked around the room. She was in the police station.

Or as to say they were in the police station.

Aden sat beside her, having moments ago been her 'pillow', Irene on his other side, a picture of the babies in her hand, now scattered with tears!

Aden was just stared into space, his face neither sad nor happy.

"Any news?" asked Belle, stretching.

Aden jumped at her voice. "Oh sorry babe, didn't know you were awake! Oh no....there's been nothing! Sorry!"

Belle sighed, watching the police officers walking across the reception area in front of her. They all looked busy. Some had their heads buried in files, some were talking loudly on the phone, and some were typing rapidly on the computers behind the desk.

They all might as well have been doing nothing, to Belle, because none of what they were doing seemed to be helping find her babies.

"Babe, you go back to sleep," said Aden, kissing her hair. "I'll call you when I hear something!"

"As if I could sleep!" she said, gloomily, for this was true. Every time Belle closed her eyes, she could hear the babies screaming and see the never ending row of doors. She almost screamed as she burst through them, every inch of her heart and body aching.

"Try," said Aden, whispering in her ear seductively, then kissing it softly.

"What will I dream about?" she asked, smiling despite of herself.

"Dream of us," he whispered. "Of how we use to be, of how happy we were! Of how much I love you!"

Belle smiled and lay her head on his shoulder, closing her eyes once again.

It worked. She dreamt of them.....of their first date, of their first kiss, of their first night together and of all the times after that. She dreamt of finally holding both babies in her arms. She dreamt of kissing them to sleep at night.

But then the nightmare of coming home and finding their empty beds crept into her dream, and she awoke suddenly.

She was curled up in Aden's arms, her head laid against his chest and a blanket wrapped around her. She was smoothing his hand up and down her hair slowly. But he was staring into space again.

Belle didn't want to think about what he was seeing.

Then the office door burst open and Constable Horner rushed over to Peter, who was behind the desk, and whispered something urgently in his ear.

"Get three squads out their now!" he ordered quietly, not wanting to alert Aden and Belle. "I follow you!"

"Peter, what's going on?" asked Belle, jumping up from Aden's lap. Aden and Irene followed behind.

Peter looked grave but there was a glimpse of hope in his eyes.

"We've caught somebody!" he said. "They were on their way out of town with medical supplies!"

Irene, Belle and Aden gasped and then broke into a chorus of questions.

"Were the babies there?"

"Medical supplies?"

"Are the babies ok?"

"Look, look, hang on!" said Peter, putting his hands up. "One at the time! No, the babies weren't there so we don't know if they're ok!"

"Peter, the medical supplies?" repeated Belle, anxiously.

"We think they could be sick....." he said, unwillingly. "The medication found was not for adults so......but that does not mean the babies are sick! It's just a possibility at this stage!"

"Where are they? Have they said where they were hiding?" asked Aden, urgently, holding Belle close to his chest, protectively.

"We're bringing him here for question!" explained Peter.

"Him?" said Belle, frowning

Then, just as she said it, Lara and Constable Horner walked into the station, pulling an unwilling Sean behind them.

There was half a second pause; Sean recognised the people infront of him, sheer terror dawning on his face! Belle's face turned from shock to anger to bloody murder. She lunged at him, hands out, ready to rip him apart, before Aden caught her around the waist.

Peter had to seize Irene who went to slap him across the face.

"Guys, guys, stop!" he said, loudly, almost shouting.

"YOU!" hissed Belle loudly, her glare murderous. "I'M GOING TO KILL YOU!"

"BELLE STOP!" cried Aden, though his glare was just as angry. "STOP!"

"Control yourself or you will have to leave!" Peter told both women sternly.

"You're going to regret this!" shrieked Belle, after Sean as they led him into the observation room.

"I knew it!" she hissed, once the door had closed. "I knew it was them! I knew it in my core! Oh my God, when I get my hands on that woman!"

"I just can't believe it!" said Irene, collapsing into her chair again. "I didn't think it could be them! They were just too nice! Oh dear, this is unbelievable!"

Aden could say nothing. He had known it from the very beginning. He had known they were going to cause trouble from the minute Belle changed her mind over the adoption. He just never thought they would resolve to this.

An hour later, Peter still hadn't resurfaced from the room. Belle had calmed down but was now in shock, having to take deep breaths into a brown bag, helped by Irene. Aden was pacing the reception area, too anxious to remain seated.

Another hour crept by and still no sign of Peter or of Sean.

"Something bad's happened to them!" Belle had begun to say, repeatedly. "I know it, I just know it!"

Finally after two and a half hours since Sean had been brought in, the door opened and Peter walked out wearily into the reception.

"Well, what has he said?" asked Belle, jumping up, tears in her eyes.

"Nothing," said Peter wearily, wiping the sweat from his forehead. "He just keeps repeating it over and over again! We think he's gone into shock!"

"Keeps repeating what?" asked Aden.

"He just says 'Red bricks! She'd wanted red bricks!'"

"What does he mean?" asked Irene, confusedly.

"We were hoping you knew?" said Peter.

They shook their heads. Peter sighed, and turned to walk back into the room.

"Wait!" said Belle, suddenly, as if a light bulb had turned on in her head. "I think I know what he means!"

"What?" they all said.

"Aden remember, Imogen and Sean kept talking about building a house here where they could live with the babies. Imogen wanted a very simple, very small red bricked house!"

"Yes, yes, I remember!" said Aden. "D'you think that's where they are?"

"But they haven't built it yet!" said Belle. "Imogen wanted the red bricks, but she didn't know where to get them, and I suggested 'Billy Brennan's Red Brick Farm!'"

"But that place closed down....months....ago....!" then Aden gasped.

"That's where they are! Billy Brennan's house! He died months ago! They must have been staying in his house!"

Aden and Belle turned to Peter, excitedly.

"It's worth a try!" he said. "You guys grab your coats! Lads, c'mon," he said, calling to the officers at their desks. "Let's go!"

Imogen walked around the dimly lit room, bouncing a crying Iliana up and down in her arms.

The baby was looking deadly pale, as was her brother.

"Don't worry my sweets," she kept saying to them. "Daddy will be here soon! He's gona make it all better!"

Both babies continued to bawl out crying loudly!

"Oh stop it, both of you!" she said, laying Iliana down beside Robert. "Stop it! I can't stand it!"

They cried even louder.

"This'll make you stop!" said Imogen, taking two pills out of her pocket.

She put one in each of their mouths, holding them shut tightly until she was sure they'd swallowed them.

Within seconds the drug had kicked in, the crying stopped and finally the room was quiet.

"Ah, peace at last," said Imogen, collapsing into the moth eaten couch.

Suddenly there was a loud bang on the door.

"Police! Put you're hands up!" said a voice, loudly.

Imogen jumped up, hurrying over to the cabinet drawer and opening it.

From it, she lifted out a steel, silver gun.

Suddenly the door burst open, and into came Peter, followed by about a dozen police men.

"Drop your weapons gentlemen," said Imogen, calmly, lowering the gun to point it directly at Robert's head. "Or else!"

Outside, Belle was jumping about wildly within Aden's arms, Irene beside them, trying to soothe her.

They were under strict instructions from Peter to remain outside, despite Belle's protests.

"I should be in there!" said Belle, desperately. "If the babies are in there, they'll want to see me! They'll want their mother!"

"Babe, you know it's too dangerous!" said Aden, although he was just as desperate as she to burst inside.

"Peter's got everything under control, don't - "

They all froze because just at that moment, a gun shot went off within the house, shocking them all to their core.

Thanks guys for all your comments!

I welcome support from new readers - twinkletoesjess, its good to have you on board! :wink:

And thanks again toall my regular readers for their continuous support! :)

Enjoy!

Chapter 40

"No! No!"

Belle couldn't believe what she was just hearing. It just couldn't be possible!

She waited, praying silently, for the babies to cry out so she would know they were ok.

"NO!" she cried, bursting into tears, and falling to her knees.

Aden's arms, that had once been wrapped around her, had now fallen to his sides. His face was a dead pale, and he was staring at the house in shock.

Irene gasped suddenly and swayed on her feet before regaining her balance.

And Belle continued to moan on the ground.

"No! No! This cannot be happening! No!"

Aden didn't make any attempt to comfort her. Instead, he took a few steps towards the house, stumbling as he did, still in a sort of daze.

Belle and Irene didn't attempt to stop him.

"My children!" he murmered to himself. "NOT MY CHILDREN!" he suddenly burst out.

Running up to the house, he burst through the door. He could hear several people struggling in the room next to him. Bursting in, he saw several police officers with their arms wrapped around Imogen, who was thrashing against them.

Seeing Aden, her face turned panicky.

"Sve them! Save my children!" she cried, desperately at the officers. "He's got you brainwashed! They're my children really! Don't listen to him!"

"Peter!" Aden called out. "Peter, where are you?"

"I'm over here Aden!" said the voice.

And looking to where it came from, huge relief spread through Aden as he saw both babies in Peter's arms.

Peter, however, did not look relieved.

"Aden, the babies, they're not breathing!"

"What!" shrieked Aden.

"A pulse, I can't find it! We've got to get them to the hospital now!"

"You cannot save them!" cried Imogen, as Aden took a still, and extremely pale Iliana from Peter. "They are with his Lord now! As I shall be!"

And very quickly, she grabbed a gun from one of the police officer's jackets, pointed it at her head.

Aden watched in horror as she pulled the trigger then collapsed into a heap on the floor, blood pouring out of her head.

"Aden, c'mon, let's go!" said Peter, nudging him.

Bursting out the front door, Aden saw Belle burst into tears again as she saw the babies in their arms.

"Oh, they're alright! They're alright!" she cried, stumbling towards them.

"We don't know yet babe!" said Aden, urgently.

"What -

"Belle, they're not breathing!"

The little colour that Belle had regained, drained from her cheeks in half a second.

She quickly lifted Robert from Peter's arms, crying silently as she rocked him.

"C'mon guys, I'll take you to the ER!" said Peter, grabbing Belle's arm and pulling her towards the car.

"Are their blood tests back yet?"

"No, not yet Rachel," said a nurse. "I'll go chase them up!"

"They're not responding to anything! What the hell did she give them?"

Belle moaned and turned to cry silently into Aden's chest.

"Guys, maybe you should wait outside!" said Rachel, as she and the nurses attached wires to Robert and Iliana's still forms.

"And wait to hear what's going on? No way Rach, we're staying here!" said Aden.

"Ok, very well then!" she said.

"100 mls of saline going in," said the nurse, looking at the drip.

"Anything?" asked Rachel.

"Nothing!"

"Their blood tests are back Rachel," said the nurse, rushing in with a file in her hands.

Rachel opened and flicked through them quickly.

"Oh god!" she said, reading the page.

"Rachel, what is is?" asked Belle urgently.

"She's given them heroin!" said Rachel, looking up at them gravely.

Belle gasped loudly and Aden cursed.

"Are they going to be alright?" asked Belle, tears now pouring down her cheeks.

"I...I don't know!" said Rachel, looking over at the monitors. "She's given them loads! How they aren't dead already, I don't know!"

"Rachel please!" cried Belle.

"Look, we're trying everything we can!" said Rachel, taking her hands and squeezing them.

Then behind her, the machines started beeping widely.

"We're losing Robert!" said the nurse.

"Get the electrodes!" cried Rachel, attaching small pads to his chest, as Belle fell into a heap against the wall, crying loudly.

"Charging to 100! Clear!"

Robert's little chest rose gracefully and then back to the table.

"Nothing!"

"Charging to 150! Clear!"

His body rose and fell again.

"Charging to 200! Clear!"

Belle moaned loudly as his back arched once more and fell.

"We've got a rhythm," the nurse said finally.

"Is he going to be ok?" asked Belle, quickly grabbing Rachel's hands.

Finally, she managed to smile.

"I think they both are!"

Belle burst into tears again, as Aden breathed out in relief. She jumped up into his arms and they hugged each other tightly.

"Now, here we are," said the nurse, rolling a baby trolley into the ward.

"Hey....hey, beautiful," said Belle, looking down at Iliana, as she slept peacefully. "Mummy missed you sooooooo much!"

"Where's Robert?" asked Aden, curiously.

"Um....the doctors are still working on him," said the nurse, looking kind of uncomfortable.

"Is there a problem?" asked Belle, anxiously.

"Um.....I should probably leave it for Dr Armstrong to explain!" she said. "It's really not my place! I don't know the full story anyway!"

"Oh....ok," said Belle.

The nurse smiled and left the room.

Belle looked up at Aden worriedly.

"Is he going to be ok?" she asked.

"Rachel said he would, don't worry!" reassured Aden.

Belle smiled but Aden could see the worry behind her eyes.

Finally Rachel came in, pushing Robert's trolley in front of her.

"Rach, is he ok?" asked Belle, stroking his pale pink cheek lightly.

"Um....well - "

"Rach please," said Aden, anxiously. "This is killing us!"

Rachel looked at them sadly.

"There were some.....complications," she said.

"Like what?" asked Belle.

"Well, the intensity of the drugs left some effects on Robert...."

"Rach - "

"He's disabled," she finally said. "I'm so sorry!"

There was an awkward silence. Then Belle put her arms around Robert and lifted him up into her arms protectively.

"What! Why...why...what's wrong with him?"

"He's going to have some.....intellectual and perhaps some physical disadvantages."

"Like....?"

"He may learn to walk later than Iliana, he won't learn to read as soon as she....when he goes to school, if he goes to school, he will find it harder than the other children. What we find easy, he is going to find a hundred times harder!"

"Is there anything you can do to help him?" asked Aden sadly.

"Nothing medically, no......but he will have regular appointments and meetings with a child psychologist and a physical psychologist!"

Belle didn't say anything. She just held him in her arms, kissing him every now and again, rocking him softly as he slept.

"I wish I'd had happier news to tell you, guys.....I'm sorry," said Rachel, smiling at them sadly.

"Thanks for all you're help Rachel," said Aden. "Things......could have been a lot worse I suppose."

Rachel smiled at them and left quietly.

Aden wrapped his arm around Belle, watching, like her, as their little boy slept in her arms.

Did he know how different, how difficult his life was going to be from now on? Did he realise that someday children would pick on him in the school yard for having a walking stick? Did he realise how hard it was going to be for him to even do simple math like adding two and two?

Did he realise how difficult his parents lives now were, bringing up a disabled child?

No, he didn't. And they were never going to tell him how hard it was for them, because life was already going to be hard enough for him.

Archived