I'll Always Be Here

Guest Danni02

Thank you so much, Sarah, Cally, Barbara, Charis, Rach Loves H&A and Sabrina for the lovely comments. They really mean a lot to me, so thank you for taking the time to write something. Once again, I'm not really sure about this update, but I hope you like it. Let me know what you think. :)

Chapter 63

Morag walked into the hotel and met the man sitting waiting for her in the lobby. “Mr Owens” Morag said and the man nodded.

“Mrs Bellingham, we meet again” Mr Owens said and Morag nodded.

“Mr Owens-”

“Neil” Mr Owens said “Call me Neil, please” Neil said and Morag nodded. “Can I get you a drink?”

“Let’s just get down to business, shall we?” Morag said and Neil nodded nervously. “So firstly maybe you could tell me what made you change your mind about talking with me”

“I’ve just had some time to think over what you said in our last meeting and you are right. The person responsible for the ending of Mr Austin’s life needs to be punished”

“And you didn’t think that from the moment it happened?” Morag asked

“I guess so, But this person is clever” Neil said

“What exactly do you mean by clever?” Morag asked

“Well they have managed to avoid getting found out for what is it? 8….9 months now?” Neil said “They had their way of stopping me, as you probably can tell”

“Yes” Morag raised her eyebrows “So tell me, how did you come to know who did this?” Morag asked

“Oh I don’t think those details are necessary” Neil said “I don’t want to implicate myself in this”

“Oh Mr Owens, I think you already have” Morag said

“Then I will stop here and not give you any information that I know. I can’t risk going to prison myself, I have a wife, I have a child, what would it do to them if I went to jail, they need me. Surely you can understand what it would do to my wife if I was to be arrested” Neil said

“Xavier Austin had a wife” Morag said “She was pregnant when he was killed. That little boy is now growing up without his father; my Granddaughter is having to live without her husband and without any justice for his death. So sorry if I don’t care about what would happen to your family, as it’s nothing compared to what my family have been though, and are continuing to go through” Morag spoke sharply causing Neil to move further back in his seat.

“I’m sorry” Neil said “But there must be something you can do to help me. Xavier’s killer is who you really want. If I give you that then you could at least have the decency to try to see that I don’t get punished” Neil said. Morag looked at Neil and sighed heavily. If she was being honest she didn’t care about him or what his going to jail would do to his family, she just wanted all this to be over for Ruby and Callum’s sake.

“I cant promise you anything, but I will see if there is something I can do” Morag eventually spoke, willing to make a compromise with the man in order to get the information of Xavier’s death out of him.

“Good” Neil smiled “I’ll tell you everything I know”

Charlie sat next to Ben’s bed and gently stroked his forehead as he slept, his little hand still grasping tightly onto hers. A tear rolled down her cheek as Angelo walked back into the room, having been away showing the paramedics out. Angelo had been quick to resuscitate Ben, and after being checked over by the paramedics and treated for a mild case of hypothermia, Charlie and Angelo had been assured that he would be perfectly fine. “Hey, it’s alright” Angelo said as he walked forward and placed his hands onto Charlie’s shoulders, gently massaging them.

“I just stood there” Charlie said as another tear rolled down her cheek. “I didn’t do anything to help my baby” Charlie cried. Angelo exhaled lightly as he bent down to Charlie’s level and wrapped his arms around her.

“Charlie, you called an ambulance” Angelo said as he gently ran his hand through her hair.

“Yeah after you shouted at me like 10 times” Charlie sniffed “What if it was just me who found him. He’d be dead. I wouldn’t have been able to help him”

“Hey Charlie, yes you would” Angelo said as he tightened his grip on Charlie. “You would have been able to help him”

Charlie shook her head as the tears continued to roll down her cheeks. “I don’t know if I could. I just froze Angelo. I couldn’t move”

“You got a shock” Angelo said “But it would have kicked in that you needed to get him out of that water” Charlie looked at Angelo and pursed her lips together as she tried to stop the tears escaping her. It was then that a sheepish looking Ruby and Jay entered Ben’s bedroom, Ruby not able to make eye-contact with either parent, or able to look down at her younger sibling. Charlie looked up at Ruby and gave a brief look of disappointment, before she looked down at her son and once again gently ran her hand over his forehead.

“Mum, I am so-"

“You get out of my house” Angelo yelled as he rose from his position on the floor and lunged towards Jay, grabbing him by collar of his t-shirt and pushing him out of the room.

“Angelo, get off him” Ruby shouted as she pulled on Angelo’s hand, trying to get him to release his grip on Jay. Angelo simply ignored her, and continued to push Jay along the hallway.

“Alright, Alight” Jay shouted “I’ll go, just please get off me” Angelo pushed Jay away from himself and watched as he walked down the stairs. “And don’t ever come back in this house again” Angelo yelled before hearing the front door slamming shut. Angelo turned to face Ruby who was standing a few metres away from him, her arms folded protectively across her chest, her eyes all red and puffy, as if she was about to shed a tear. She opened her mouth to speak but Angelo shook his head and walked away from her, and back into Ben’s bedroom leaving Ruby standing alone in the hallway. She took a deep breath before walking back into the room and taking in the scene of Angelo comforting a shaken-up Charlie.

“Mum, Angelo….” Ruby paused for a moment as they looked up at her, both staying silent. “I am so sorry. I….”

“I don’t want to hear it Ruby” Charlie said monotonously. “I don’t want to even look at you right now, so just do me a favour and get out of my sight” Charlie spat before looking away from her daughter.

“Mum, please, I’m so sorry, it just happened, I didn’t invite Jay over, he just turned up, and then we got to talking and one thing led to another and -"

“One thing led to another” Angelo repeated angrily “Ruby you were supposed to be looking after your little brother. You should have been paying attention to him. Not leaving him on his own so you could go have sex with Jay” Angelo spat

“I thought he’d be okay. He was playing fine with his toys” Ruby said. Charlie shook her head as she looked up at her daughter, shocked with her excuses for her stupidity.

“I can’t even believe I’m hearing you say that” Charlie said “That’s not you. That’s not my sensible, responsible Ruby. How the hell can you think that would be okay? He’s only four years old” Charlie yelled

“I just…..it just happened. You know how things like that can just happen, surely you know that” Ruby said

“I don’t even get what he was doing here in the first place” Charlie said “I thought you decided you didn’t want a relationship with him”

“I did. But then he turned up and we started talking and……I like him. I really like him” Ruby said

“Yeah well thanks to you and that stupid boy my son almost died” Angelo shouted

“I told you he was bad news” Charlie said as she wiped the tears from her face.

“Yeah well just be glad Ava is staying at Olivia’s tonight or goodness knows what could have happened to her” Angelo said as he looked disapprovingly at Ruby. “Go on, you can get out of here as well” Angelo spat

“What?” Ruby asked, almost in disbelief at the request.

“You heard me” Angelo said “You’re irresponsibility almost killed my son and I cannot stand to be in the same room as you right now, let alone the same house”

“Look I cannot be more sorry for what happened, but, he is okay, isn’t he” Ruby said

“And you think that makes it okay?” Angelo yelled “Ruby you put our son in danger. You are no longer welcome in my house”

“Dad, please” Ruby began to speak but Angelo cut her off

“Don’t you Dad me” Angelo spat “Just get out of my house. I don’t want to see you right now”

“Mum” Ruby said as she looked down at Charlie.

“Just go to your room Ruby” Charlie said

“You can’t send me to my room. I’m not a kid” Ruby said

“Ruby” Charlie said as she shook her head “I don’t really care where you go right now. I just…..I don’t want to see you. So please just stay out of my way” Ruby exhaled lightly before she left Ben’s bedroom and walked across the hall and sat down on her bed, looking down towards the floor. A tear rolled down her cheek as realisation of what could have happened hit her. Her stupidity almost cost her little brother his life, and now she could hear Charlie and Angelo arguing.

“She’s leaving Charlie” Angelo said

“You are not chucking my daughter out of this house” Charlie yelled

“Eh, I want her gone Charlie. And you yourself said you don’t even want to look at her right now”

“Yeah, because I am beyond mad with her right now, but that doesn’t mean I want to chuck her out of this house” Charlie said

“Well someone has to go” Angelo said “So if it’s not Ruby, then I’ll leave, and I’ll take the kids with me because I cannot trust that they will be safe with her in this house”

“Oh don’t be so dramatic Angelo” Charlie yelled

“Dramatic? Charlie, Ben could have died tonight and your daughter would have been responsible for that, so don’t you dare tell me not to be so dramatic. I’m sorry but either she goes or I do. So what’s it going to be” Angelo said. Charlie looked down to the floor and pursed her lips together as a tear rolled down her cheek.

“Don’t give me stupid ultimatums” Charlie spat. “No one is leaving this house. We’ll all get things sorted, we just need time to calm down” Charlie said

“Charlie how can you still want her here after what she has done?” Angelo spat

“Because she is still my daughter Angelo” Charlie yelled “No matter what she has done, I am not going turn my back on her. Yes, what she did was unbelievably irresponsible and I can’t get my head around the fact that she was stupid enough to do something like that, but it was still an accident, and Ben is going to be okay”

“So would it take Ben dying for you to turn your back on her or even then would you still want her in your life?” Angelo asked. Charlie stood there and shook her head at Angelo’s question. She pursed her lips together. “C’mon Charlie I can’t stay here if she is. What’s its going to be?”

“Angelo, that’s not fair, she is my daughter” Charlie cried

“Yeah, and I’m your husband” Angelo yelled. “But you know what, I think it’s pretty clear who you want to choose” Angelo spat before he walked out of the room and slammed the door shut, leaving Charlie standing in the middle of room, the tears streaming down her face.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you so much for the lovely comments. I love to read them and they always make me smile. Here is the next one. I hope its okay. :unsure:

Chapter 64

Charlie was in the kitchen with Ben who was slowly eating his breakfast cereal. He kept his eyes on Charlie as she walked over the fridge and took out the carton of orange juice before pouring some into her son’s juice cup. “Mummy, I don’t want to go swimming today anymore” Ben spoke in a whisper and Charlie was unable to make out what her young son was saying.

“What did you say baby?” Charlie said as she placed the juice cup down on the table and gently ran her hand over her sons head.

“I don’t want to go swimming today anymore” Ben said a little louder as he looked up at Charlie. Charlie looked down at her son and stared into his eyes. He looked full of fear at the thought of going swimming. Charlie exhaled lightly as she once again ran her hand across his head.

“Its okay baby, you don’t have to go swimming today” Charlie said and Ben smiled nervously before he picked up his juice cup and took a drink of his juice.

“Where’s Ruby?” Ben asked as he put his cup back down on the table.

“Eh…she is still in bed” Charlie answered, although this was more of a guess as she hadn’t seen Ruby since she told her to go to her room the night before, and she hadn’t actually felt like going in to see her so far that morning.

“Oh, lazy bones” Ben laughed and Charlie let out a small laugh as she wrapped her arms around her son and gave him a big hug. “Mummy what are you doing?” Ben asked

“Oh, I just wanted a hug” Charlie said and Ben smiled before wrapping his arms around Charlie’s neck and holding onto her tightly. Charlie placed a kiss on her sons head, before looking up as Ava came bursting into the kitchen.

“Good morning Mummy” Ava cheered as she skipped up to Charlie.

“Morning, Ava” Charlie smiled as she parted from her hug with Ben and wrapped an arm around her daughter. “Did you have fun with Olivia and Sophie?”

“Yes, so much fun” Ava nodded “But why did daddy pick me up so early? I was having fun playing”

“I don’t why sweetie” Charlie said as she brushed her hair behind her ear before she briefly glanced up at Angelo.

“You’d been there long enough” Angelo said “Go up to your room and empty your bag out” Angelo said and Ava sighed lightly before looking at Charlie.

Mummy can we all go to the beach today” Ava asked

“We’ll see” Charlie said “Now go on, up the stairs and do as your daddy tells you” Ava picked up her bag from the floor and ran out of the room. Once again Charlie and Angelo exchanged a quick glance before she looked back down at Ben. “C’mon Benny, get your cereal finished” Charlie said as she patted her index finger off the table.

“Actually Ben can you help your sister” Angelo said and Ben looked up at him with a rather confused expression on his face.

“I’m eating my breakfast” Ben said

“Benjamin” Angelo shouted sharply. Ben jumped down from the seat and ran out of the kitchen, leaving Charlie and Angelo alone.

“Don’t take your bad mood out on him” Charlie said as she lifted up Ben’s bowl of half eaten coco pops and the half drunken glass of orange juice and made her way over to the sink. Angelo exhaled heavily before he crossed his arms over his chest. “When you didn’t come to bed last night I thought you’d actually went through with it and left” Charlie said as she poured the leftover juice down the sink.

“If I had left I would have taken Ben with me. I told you I wouldn’t leave the kids here if she was here” Angelo said as he leaned himself against the kitchen table. “And then there was Ava to get as well” Angelo said “So, if she’s still here then I guess we will get going”

Charlie shook her head as she bit her lip. ”If you are going to leave then go, but you are not taking my kids from me” Charlie said as she turned to face Angelo.

“So you actually want me to leave?” Angelo asked, surprised

“Of course I don’t want you to leave” Charlie cried “But you seem to want too”

“I don’t Charlie, of course I don’t” Angelo said as he walked across the room and ran his hands down Charlie’s arms before taking her hands into his.

“So then why give me this ultimatum” Charlie said she pulled her hands away from him, just as Ava came running into the kitchen with Ben following closely behind her. He ran up to Charlie and grabbed onto her hand before tugging at it lightly.

“Mummy-”

“Eh, mummy and daddy need to talk right now so can you please go back up the stairs” Angelo said

“But Mummy” Ben said again

“Please, we’ll be up to see you soon” Angelo said

“But this is really important” Ava moaned “look Mummy” Ava said as she handed Charlie an envelope. Charlie looked down and read the word “Mum” in Ruby’s handwriting. “She isn’t in her room or the bathroom. Where did she go?” Ava asked. Charlie looked up at Angelo and exhaled lightly as she unsealed the envelope, before unfolding the piece of paper in her hand, and reading Ruby’s letter.

Dear Mum

Words cannot begin to describe how sorry I am for what happened last night, and if anything had happened to Benny, I would never have been able to forgive myself.

I heard you arguing with Angelo about me staying here and what Angelo said about him leaving with the kids, and I just couldn’t let that happen. I don’t want to be responsible for you two having even more problems, this was my fault, and I can understand Angelo’s reasoning in wanting me to leave. You shouldn’t be put in the position to choose between us. It doesn’t need to come to that, I made the mistake, I should be the one to go, so that’s exactly what I have done, but Mum, please don’t go blaming Angelo for this, because I know what you are like. It wasn’t his fault. I’ve been thinking about getting away properly from here for a while, and what happened with Benny, it just confirmed my decision that I have to go. I’m not in a good place at the moment and it’s now caused me to make a huge mistake that could have ended someone’s life.

I’m not trying to run away from my mistake, believe me, it will haunt me for the rest of my life that my stupidity almost caused my little brothers death. I can’t help thinking that if you were home just a few minutes later, or you didn’t notice the gate was open, that Benny would be gone now and that’s just too hard to take.

And then there is everything with Jay and Xavier and I can’t do it anymore, Mum. I can’t keep pretending everything is okay when it isn’t. I can’t deal with Xavier’s death and never finding who took his life, and then all the feelings I have for Jay. How can I like someone else this much when Xav hasn’t even been gone a year? It’s just.....it’s wrong.

I can’t be a good mother to Callum when I feel like this. He deserves more than I can give him right now. Much, much, more, so, please Mum, look after him for me, and please don’t try to find me. I will contact you when I think the time is right.

All my love

Ruby

xxx

Charlie pursed her lips together as a tear rolled down her cheek. “Charlie what is it? What does it say?” Angelo asked as he stepped forward and gently rubbed Charlie’s hand. Charlie pulled back from him and started to run from the room, dropping the letter to the floor. Angelo picked up the letter and the kids stood in the kitchen, looking confused.

“Daddy, what’s wrong?” Ava asked

“Eh....Ruby’s gone away for a few days to visit an old friend and she has asked Mummy to look after Cal” Angelo said as he looked down at Ava after quickly scanning the letter.

“Oh” Ava said

“Daddy where did my breakfast go?” Ben asked

“Eh, Mummy cleaned it away” Angelo said

“Oh. I didn’t want cereal anyways” Ben said “Can I have some ice-cream?” Ben asked hopingly.

“No mate” Angelo laughed lightly “You can’t have ice-cream for breakfast. You two go play and I need to go talk to mummy again, okay” Angelo said and Ava and Ben nodded before running out of the kitchen and up the stairs and into Ava’s bedroom. Angelo followed them up the stairs but went into Ruby’s bedroom, and walked over to the cot where Charlie was standing, looking down at Callum who was sleeping peacefully.

“How did I not know?” Charlie said as she looked up at Angelo.

“Know what?” Angelo asked as he placed a comforting hand onto Charlie’s shoulder.

“How she really felt about everything. I thought she was finally accepting things, you know, coming to terms with not knowing who killed Xavier, and her feelings for Jay. I had no idea she was putting on this front. How could I not see that?” Charlie asked

“Charlie, we have had a pretty crazy time of it lately” Angelo said

“I still should have known what my daughter was feeling” Charlie said raising her voice. “And now thanks to you she’s gone and I don’t know where too”

“Charlie, c’mon you read the letter. She’s been wanting to do this for God knows how long” Angelo said

“Yeah and she heard what you said about wanting her gone and now she is, so it is your fault” Charlie yelled “You pushed her into leaving”

“Charlie of course I didn’t want her to leave, I was just so angry with what happened last night”

“You drove her into leaving” Charlie yelled

“Charlie, please calm yourself down. You can’t get yourself into this state, you know you have to take it easy now with this pregnancy” Angelo said

“Calm down” Charlie spat “Angelo I will be calm when you find my daughter”

“Charlie, she doesn’t want us to find her. Just give her the time away she needs and she will come back when she is ready, she said so herself” Angelo yelled

“No” Charlie yelled “She should be with me. I need to help her and you are going to get her to come back home”

“Charlie” Angelo sighed

“You will find her” Charlie yelled “You drove her away; it’s the least you can do”

“Just stop it. Stop shouting” Ava yelled as she ran into the room and up to Angelo and grabbed onto him, wrapping her arms around him. “I don’t want you to leave again” Ava said as she hugged him tightly.

“Hey, Ava, I’m not going to leave you” Angelo said as he wrapped his arms around his daughter, before glancing quickly at Charlie.

“But the last time you did” Ava said as she pulled back slightly, looking up at her dad. “You shouted all the time and then you left”

“I know, but I really mean it this time. I promise you I am not going anywhere” Angelo said

“Mummy promised the last time but you still did” Ava said

“Sweetheart, I promise you. I am not going anywhere”

“You pinky promise?” Ava asked as she held out her pinky in front of Angelo.

“I pinky promise” Angelo said as he wrapped his pinky around Ava’s. Ava looked up at Angelo and smiled before turning to face her mother.

“And you too” Ava said

Charlie looked up at Angelo and exhaled lightly before looking back down at her daughter. “I pinky promise” Charlie said as she wrapped her pinky around her daughters. Ava smiled before giving Charlie and Angelo quick glances.

“You have to pinky promise each other to” Ava said. Charlie and Angelo looked down at their daughter before they glanced quickly at each other. “You have to do it. You have to promise no one will leave and no more arguing” Ava said. Angelo exhaled lightly before holding his pinky out and looking straight at Charlie. Charlie pursed her lips together and stood still for a moment, before she wrapped her pinky around Angelo’s.

“You have to say it” Ava said. Charlie looked down at her daughter who was staring back up at her, with her big blue innocent eyes and smiled.

Charlie took a deep breath as she watched her daughter eagerly awaiting them to talk “I promise that I will never leave” Charlie said

“I promise I will never leave” Angelo repeated, before he smiled lovingly at Charlie, who only managed a quick smile back at him.

“And no more arguing” Ava whispered as she placed one hand onto Charlie’s arm and the other onto Angelo’s.

“And no more arguing” Charlie and Angelo said in unison.

“Good” Ava smiled as Charlie pulled her hand away. “Now you have to kiss and make up” Ava grinned. Charlie and Angelo looked down at Ava in amusement before looking back up at each other. Angelo leaned forward and placed a soft, quick kiss on Charlie lips before moving his head back slightly leaving a small gap between them. Charlie leaned forward and kissed him again, this time, the kiss lasting slightly longer. They pulled apart from each other and looked into each other eyes and smiled. “Now we will all have a cuddle” Ava announced as she wrapped one arm around Angelo and her other around Charlie. Charlie and Angelo both grinned in amusement and their young daughter, before they embraced in the hug. “Okay, I’m off to play again” Ava said after pulling back from the hug and running from the room leaving Charlie and Angelo still in the embrace.

“Angelo” Charlie said as she pulled back from their hug “You know I couldn’t chose-”

“It’s okay Charlie. You and Ruby have something really special. You are so close; you have this amazing bond with her. I know you wouldn’t ever want to lose her, so if it came down to it you would choose-”

“No Angelo. I couldn’t, you know I wouldn’t want to lose you either” Charlie said as a tear rolled down her cheek. Angelo, I love you so -”

“I know” Angelo said as he wrapped his arms around Charlie’s waist “I know how much you love me and I know you would never want to choose between us. I am so sorry I put you in that position. You should never have to do that. And you don’t have too; I am not going to make you choose and I am so sorry for pushing Ruby into leaving, and I will find where she has gone. I’ll bring her home for you” Angelo said as he tucked a loose strand of Charlie hair behind her ear. “I promise you that” Angelo said

“You pinky promise that” Charlie laughed

“I pinky promise” Angelo laughed before placing another kiss on Charlie’s lips.

Thank you Cally, Chester-Sam, Sarah, Sabrina and Charis for your lovely comments. I really appreciate them! :) I'm not liking this chapter much :( but I dont know, maybe you lot will think differently. :unsure:

Chapter 65

It had been 3 days since Ruby had left the house, and Charlie hadn’t heard anything from Ruby, despite the number of phone calls and voicemails she had left her daughter. Angelo - upon instruction from Charlie - had spent the last 3 days out looking for Ruby and where she might be, but so far he hadn’t had any luck. Morag, Nicole, Irene, and Leah had promised that if Ruby had contacted them they would let them know straight away, but its seemed Ruby had cut herself off entirely from everyone she was close to in the bay. Gina also hadn’t heard from or seen Ruby, but she offered to help with where she may be and she visited some of Ruby’s uni friends in Sydney, who also hadn’t seen or heard from Ruby. With her living in Sydney she had said she would keep and eye out for her, and even checked hotels, hostels and B&B’s, incase Ruby was staying in one, but so far there was no luck in the search for where Ruby could be.

Angelo pulled up into the driveway of the house and sighed lightly as he switched off the car engine. He leaned his head back and rested it off the headrest as he closed his eyes. Another day of searching, and nothing, he thought to himself. He let out another sigh before he got out of the car and walked into the house, and went straight into the kitchen and took a beer out of the fridge. He took a long drink before walking through to the living room to find Charlie lying on the couch, asleep. He quietly walked across to her and knelt down beside her and gently ran his hand across her forehead. Charlie stirred before opening her eyes and slowly sitting up on the couch. “Hey, what time is it?” Charlie asked as she yawned.

“11.30” Angelo said, almost in a whisper.

“Sorry, I guess I dozed off there” Charlie said

“It’s okay. You didn’t have to wait up” Angelo said as he took a seat on the couch next to her, putting his bottle of beer down on the table.

“I did” Charlie said “You might have found Ruby or at least had something on where she might be”

“No, I’m sorry” Angelo said “I have no idea where she could be. Wherever she is, she really doesn’t want to be found” Charlie looked up at Angelo as a tear rolled down her cheek.

“I want her home, Angelo. I just want her to come home” Charlie cried

“I know. I want her home too” Angelo said as he wrapped his arm around Charlie, and she rested her head against his chest as he lightly rubbed her arm. “But Charlie….” Angelo said tentatively “I can’t keep spending all day out looking for Ruby, I’ve got lots to do back at the station and….”

“What” Charlie said she pulled back from Angelo. “Don’t you think finding Ruby is more important?”

“It’s not as if she is a young kid who has ran away” Angelo sighed “Ruby is an adult, she wanted to get away to clear her head, she said she will contact you when she is ready to talk”

“Angelo she has been gone three days and hasn’t been in contact with anyone. She left here unhappy after almost causing her little brothers death. I think that raises some concern” Charlie yelled

“Charlie, she will be okay. She just wants space and time away from here right now. You have to respect that, it’s what she wants”

“I don’t care what she wants” Charlie yelled “I care about what she needs and right now, with her current state of mind, she needs her mother. She’s not in a good place right now, Angelo. What if she does something stupid?” Charlie said as more tears formed in her eyes.

“Hey, Ruby would never do that to you or Cal” Angelo said as he made to wrap his arm around her again, but Charlie pulled back from him.

“She’s already left him behind” Charlie said, trying her best not to let the tears escape her. “I left my baby behind once. I know how bad she must feel right now in order to have done that”

“Charlie the circumstances there were completely different” Angelo said

“Yeah but we still did the same thing, to leave your baby behind, you have to feel pretty….” Charlie trailed off. She rubbed her forehead as she sighed heavily. “She won’t even answer my calls. If she would just answer one, and let me know she is okay”

Angelo exhaled lightly. “She’ll be fine” Angelo said reassuringly. “Despite recent events, Ruby is sensible. She’s probably got herself booked into a nice hotel or something. She will take a few days just to chill out and get everything sorted in her head and then she’ll call you, or even come home”

“She doesn’t have much money though does she?” Charlie said “I mean what if she runs out? How is she going to cope then? She could get herself into trouble, she could….”

“Charlie” Angelo interrupted “I think you are getting a bit ahead of yourself. She’s only been gone 3 days. And she is a sensible girl. I don’t think you need to be worried about her”

“I’m her mother. I can’t help worrying. She’s ran off and not told me where she is and she’s not in a good place at the moment. I do think I have reason to worry” Charlie said before her eyes widened. “We still pay rent for Ruby’s place in the city right?” Charlie asked and Angelo nodded lightly.

“Yeah we do. We really should stop that though, I guess. She’s not lived there for months” Angelo said

“Angelo, I mean, if Ruby wanted to she could still live there” Charlie said

“Well yeah she could, but she said she was going to live with us from now on” Angelo said, feeling slightly confused.

“Oh for goodness sake Angelo. How the hell did you become a cop, you’re useless. I’m trying to suggest to you that Ruby could have went to the apartment in Sydney” Charlie said

“Oh sorry, it’s late and it’s been a long day for me” Angelo said as he rubbed his forehead “I guess she could have gone there. But didn’t she say she didn’t want to go back because that place was just too much a reminder of Xavier? So, I’m not really sure she would be there”

“Well it’s worth a try” Charlie said

“Yeah, your right, it is. I’ll go first thing in the morning” Angelo said, before shaking his head lightly at the look on Charlie’s face. “Charlie, I am not going now” Angelo said

“Please” Charlie said

“Charlie, it’s almost midnight” Angelo said as he looked up at the clock on the wall, before looking back down at Charlie, and the look on her face. “Charlie please don’t give me that look”

“Please go then” Charlie said and Angelo sighed lightly. He could see how much it meant to Charlie for him to go tonight, and he knew that Charlie was still mad at him for Ruby leaving, so he had to go, really.

“Okay, I’ll go” Angelo said and Charlie smiled before she wrapped her arms around Angelo and pulled him into a hug.

“Thank you” Charlie said before she pulled back from the hug.

“Well I better go then” Angelo said as he stood up. “You go get some sleep and I’ll see you in the moring” Angelo said and Charlie nodded as she stood up from the couch.

“But you will call me if she is there” Charlie said

“Yeah of course I will” Angelo said before he gave Charlie a kiss on her forehead before leaving the house.

The next morning and Angelo was in the kitchen making pancakes with Ben when Charlie came into the room with Callum babbling happily in her arms. “Morning Mummy” Ben said cheerily.

“Morning baby” Charlie smiled as she strapped Callum into the highchair and handed him a plastic spoon, to which he started banging happily off the highchair tray and he let out more babbles.

“He is so noisy” Ben shouted as he put his hands over his ears. “To noisy” Ben said before jumping down from the chair that had been pushed up against the worktop and ran out of the room. Angelo watched as his son ran out of the room and laughed lightly.

“So I guess you didn’t find Ruby at the apartment last night?” Charlie asked as she made a start to making Callum’s breakfast.

“No” Angelo shook his head “But the neighbour did say that she had been there. The first night she left here I think she stayed there” Angelo said “But it seems she has moved on since then” Angelo said. Charlie sighed lightly as she bit her lip.

“One phone call. It’s all I want. I just want to know she is okay”

“I know” Angelo said as he reached out and pulled Charlie into a hug. “Listen, Morag called me this morning, she wants me to meet her in town this afternoon. Apparently she has someone with information on Xavier’s death, and wants me to go with her to meet him again”

“What about looking for Ruby?” Charlie asked

“Charlie, we have looked everywhere we can think she would be” Angelo sighed “Please, just, let her be. She will contact you when she is ready” Charlie sighed as Ben came running back into the room.

“I couldn’t find one” Ben sighed as he jumped up onto the chair at the table.

“Find what?” Angelo asked as he placed a plate down in front of Ben, with a freshly made pancake on it. “A dummy for Callum” Ben said as he eyes lit up at the sight of the pancake.

“Cal doesn’t have a dummy” Charlie said as she ran her hand over her son’s head.

“Oh” Ben said “Well he should have. It would keep him quiet”

“Maybe get one for you as well then” Angelo muttered as he helped his son cut up his pancake.

“Where’s Ava?” Charlie asked, before she walked over the drawer and took out another spoon, before beginning to feed Callum his breakfast.

“Under her bed” Ben answered before letting out a small giggle.

“Oh, what’s upset her?” Charlie asked, as every time Ava got upset over something, she would usually seek refuge under her bed.

“Ruby was apparently going to take her to the movies tonight, but because she isn’t here, I told her she wouldn’t be able to go” Angelo said as he went to pour a juice for his son.

“Oh” Charlie said as she wiped some excess food from around Callum’s mouth. “I guess I could take her this afternoon if I can find someone to watch Ben and Cal”

“This afternoon? Won’t she be in school?” Angelo asked

“No daddy we are off” Ben grinned

“What for?” Angelo said as he looked up at Charlie and gave her a questioning look.

“I don’t know. They get to many holidays” Charlie sighed.

“Really, can’t say I’ve noticed” Angelo said

“That’s because you are not the one who is home with them all day” Charlie sighed

“No I just go to work, bring home the money, put food on the table, clothes on their back” Angelo said

“What and you think I just sit at home and twiddle my thumbs all day?” Charlie asked

“No not at all” Angelo said “I just meant I was the one out earning a living while you stayed at home with the kids”

“Yeah well not for much longer. I’m still planning on going back to work after the baby is born” Charlie said

“And I will be more than happy to swap roles and do all the childcare” Angelo grinned as he gently ruffled Ben’s hair.

“And do the housework, and do the cooking, and do the shopping…….” Charlie said

“What you want me to do that as well as look after the kids?” Angelo said

“Well it’s what I’m doing now” Charlie snapped

“Okay, okay” Angelo said before looked down at his son, who had finished his breakfast. He picked up the plate and made his way over to the sink, listening as Charlie muttered something under her breath, but not being able to make out what it was she was saying.

“Daddy can we build a tree house?” Ben asked as he jumped down from the chair.

“Ehm, yeah sure” Angelo said “But first we need to go get Ava out from under that bed, don’t we?”

“Yeah” Ben nodded “Did Ruby upset her?” Ben asked as he looked up at Angelo.

“Oh my God. The tree house” Charlie said as she stood up from the chair where she was sitting feeding Callum and grabbed her car keys from the hook on the kitchen wall.

“Charlie?” Angelo said as he followed her down hall.

“Ruby. I think I know where she might be”

“Well?” Angelo asked, seeking an explanation.

“When she was a kid, around Ava’s age I guess, she used to love playing in the tree house. When we moved houses, she was upset because the new house didn’t have a tree house and dad wouldn’t build her one, so she used to run off to the old house to play in that one” Charlie said

“So you think that’s where she will be? At your old house, in the tree house?” Angelo said, not sounding very convinced.

“Look, I know it’s a long shot, but it’s worth a try” Charlie said before she opened the front door and walked quickly out towards her car before driving off in the direction of the city.

Thanks so much everyone for the lovely comments :) I hope you like this one. I'm not so pleased with the Charlie/Ruby stuff, but hopefully I'll get something better at a later date. Anyways, I hope you like it. Let me know what you think. :)

Chapter 66

Charlie pulled up into the driveway of the now derelict house. She looked up at the place in which she used to call home, the house in which she grew up, and had so many great memories with her Mum and Dad and of course, with Ruby. She felt a little sadden that it was now stood empty, the upstairs windows all cracked and holed, like stones had been thrown through them. Downstairs the windows were completely gone, with wooden boards in their place and the front garden had become overgrown. Charlie exhaled lightly before she switched off the car engine and unbuckled her seat belt before she stepped out of the car. She walked up the rest of the driveway to the side of the house and pushed the gate open, pushing the overgrown branches out of her way as she made her way down the path and into the back garden. It was exactly as she remembered it, if a little run down and in need of a good tidy up. She walked across the grass to the big tree at the end of the garden. The swing that Ross had made for Charlie, from a plank of wood and some rope, when she was no more than 6, still hung there now, much to Charlie’s surprise. Turning around she noticed the chunk of bark missing from the tree, where she had one day happily carved CB 4 GB 4EVA into the trunk of the tree, but months later had desperately picked at till it was no longer visible. Running her hand across where the carving had once been, she pursed her lips together and closed her eyes as memories of that night came flooding back to her. That night that was both the best and worst night of her life. The worst, for obvious reasons, and the best because it gave her Ruby. A kick from the baby seemed to bring her out of her state and she walked a few paces backwards and looked up to the tree house, where she was hoping her daughter would be. “Rubes, are you there?” Charlie said but to which she got no reply. Charlie exhaled as she lightly ran her had across her stomach. “Where’s that sister of yours, hmm” Charlie said to which the baby responded with some kicks. “Rubes, please” Charlie said again, but there was still no reply. Charlie sighed lightly as she took a few steps back while keeping her gaze on the tree house. She was then overcome with relief when she saw Ruby appear at the entrance of the tree house. She sat down and let her legs dangle over the edge.

“Mum” Ruby said quietly, keeping her head down, not yet making eye contact with her mother.

“Rubes” Charlie said as she looked up at her daughter. "Come here" Ruby exhaled lightly before shaking her head.

"Can’t you come up here?" Ruby asked

"I would Rubes, but I don’t fancy climbing a tree while I'm pregnant" Charlie said

“You would think that after almost killing Ben I wouldn’t be in a rush to put the baby in danger too” Ruby said before she bowed her head down.

“Rubes, you’re not putting the baby in danger” Charlie said “Please just come down here and we can talk, yeah?” Charlie made a gesture for Ruby to climb down from the tree.

Ruby shook her head lightly as she made eye contact with Charlie. “Are you mad at me for what I did?”

“No, I’m not mad. I’m just worried about you. Rubes, what you wrote in that letter...” Charlie paused as she pursed her lips together. “Please just come down” Ruby bit lip and stared at Charlie for a few seconds before she climbed down from the tree and ran into Charlie’s arms. Charlie wrapped her arms around her daughter and held her tightly as the tears rolled down her cheeks. After a few minutes Charlie pulled back and cupped her hands around Ruby cheeks and wiped away her tears. “Now how about we have little chat?” Charlie said and Ruby nodded lightly before taking a deep breath.

Angelo walked into the Diner as he pushed the buggy, with Ben and Ava running in before him and over to Morag.

“Granny, Daddy is buying us some ice-cream” Ben screeched as he jumped up and down in excitement.

“I don’t want ice-cream” Ava said “I want a muffin and a milkshake”

“Sure, you can get what you want, just go and ask Leah and she will get it for you. Oh and order me a coffee” Angelo said before the kids ran off to the counter.

“Angelo, you brought the kids” Morag said, not impressed.

“Sorry, Charlie just ran off this morning thinking she might know where Ruby is, so I had to bring them” Angelo said before he sat down at the table with Morag.

“Oh and where is that?” Morag asked as she cupped her hands around her cup of coffee.

“An old house they lived at in the city” Angelo replied “I think it’s a pretty long shot that she will be there, but, I guess we will just have to see”

“Yes, well hopefully she finds her, if not for Ruby’s sake, for her own. She can’t keep stressing herself out like this, Angelo. It can’t be good for the baby” Morag said “She’s been so through so much lately, I don’t know how much more she can take”

“I know. But you know what Charlie can get herself like” Angelo sighed “Sometimes I....”

“Mrs Bellingham” The voice said as Morag turned around to find Neil Owens standing behind her.

“Mr Owens. This is Mr Rosetta” Morag said as she pointed to Angelo.

“Neil. Call me Neil” Neil said as he shook Angelo’s hand.

“Angelo” Angelo replied as the kids came running back across to the table.

“I’m getting chocolate ice-cream” Ben shrieked

“That’s great mate” Angelo smiled “Listen, Granny and I need to talk about something important, so if you two can be very good and sit over at that table there for just now” Angelo said and Ava and Ben nodded before running to the table that Angelo had pointed to. It was far enough away so that the kids couldn’t hear what they were talking about but close enough so that Angelo was able to keep an eye on them. Leah walked over with Angelo’s coffee, before returning moments later, with the coffee that Neil had ordered. The 3 of them sat at the table and stared at each other in silence for a moment before Morag broke it.

“So, Angelo, Mr Owens knows who was responsible for running over Xavier, but he won’t give me any names. He said he wanted to talk to a police officer before he gave out that sort of information” Morag spoke quietly, as she suddenly became aware that meeting in the Diner to talk about this may not have been the best idea, especially as she noticed Colleen was taking an extra long time to wipe down the table next to theirs. “Mr Owens, Angelo is the Senior Constable…”

“Yes, and Xavier was my son-in-law so I would really like to get to the bottom of this” Angelo butted in on what Morag was saying. “So start talking” Angelo said as he looked up at Neil.

“Well, Officer, before I give you any sort of information, I want you to guarantee that I won’t get into trouble” Neil said

“And why would you think you would get into trouble?” Angelo asked

“Well, officer, you see I’ve been keeping back information for the last 9 months or so, I lied to the police about my CCTV, and kept the footage from them, I’ve been accepting a cash sum to keep quiet about this….” Neil trailed off as he realised what he was confessing too, to a police officer of all people. Angelo exhaled lightly before he rubbed his forehead.

“Neil, you see this boy here” Angelo said as he pointed to Callum, who was sleeping in the buggy next to the table. Neil nodded lightly as he began to feel nervous. “Seven months old, or near enough, born two months after Xavier died. Xavier never got to meet his son, and this boy is having to grow up without his father. My daughter is having to live without her husband and having no-one being punished for taking his life. The not knowing is hard for her, it’s hard for us all, but especially for Ruby and right now all I care about is getting justice for her and Cal, and you are the person who can help with that, so please just start talking” Angelo said, the anger building up in him. Neil sighed before shaking his head lightly.

“Can I get into a lot of trouble for what I’ve done?” Neil asked. Morag and Angelo shared a quick glance with each other before looking at Neil.

“Just start talking” Angelo said “All I care about is finding the scum who ran over Xavier and didn’t face up to what he did”

“I’m not going to give you a name” Neil said “But I will give you this” Neil reached into the inside of his suit jacket and pulled out a disk. “You’ll find out what you need to know on there” Neil said before he stood up and made a quick exit from the Diner.

“Are you not going to go after him Angelo?” Morag asked and Angelo shook his head as he held the disk in his hand.

“No, right now we have more important things to do” Angelo answered as he looked back up at Morag “We need to find out what’s on this disk”

Charlie and Ruby were sitting on the grass, leaning back against the truck of the tree. “How did you know I would be here?” Ruby asked as she turned to face Charlie.

“A good guess” Charlie said “I remembered you used to love it here when you were a kid and then when we moved to the other house, you used to always run back here to play or if you got upset you’d run to the tree house” Charlie said and Ruby smiled.

“Yeah, until you told me it was haunted” Ruby laughed “Terrified me into coming back here”

“Well I had to tell you something” Charlie laughed “We couldn’t have you keeping on running back here and I’m sure the new owners didn’t want a kid hanging around their house”

“They didn’t mind” Ruby said “They were nice. They gave me cake and juice”

“Yeah and Mum loved that. A stranger giving you cake and juice”

“Aww they were harmless. They had a Grandson around my age” Ruby said before she scanned round the garden with her eyes. “I loved it here. I never wanted to move”

“Yeah I know. You tied yourself to this tree with your skipping rope” Charlie said and Ruby laughed.

“I did not” Ruby said

“You did” Charlie said

“So how did you get me to move?” Ruby asked, forgetting that part of her childhood.

“I told you I would take you shopping to get that doll you so desperately wanted” Charlie said

“Lucy doll” Ruby said and Charlie nodded “You know, I think I still have her somewhere. I used to take her everywhere with me”

“Yeah, I remember” Charlie said before smiling at her daughter. Ruby smiled back at her before she took a deep breath.

“Mum, I’m sorry for leaving like that, but I just….I needed time to think about everything. You know, what I did to Ben and then Jay and Xavier…” Ruby trailed off as she looked down to ground.

“It’s okay” Charlie said as she placed her hand on Ruby’s chin and gently pushed her head upwards so she was facing her. “Rubes, why didn’t you just come and talk to me about how you were feeling instead of letting it come to this?”

“You had enough going on in your own life” Ruby said “I didn’t want to burden you with my problems too”

“Ruby you would never do that” Charlie said “No matter what is going on in my life, I will always be here for you. Anytime you need to talk about anything, you can come to me” Charlie said as she wrapped her arm around her daughter and gave her a gently squeeze. Ruby nodded lightly as a tear rolled down her cheek.

“I just miss him so much. And I want someone to pay for what they did to him. How can someone do that? They ran someone over and took their life and now they aren’t being punished for it, they can’t face up to what they did” Ruby cried “I just want someone to be paying for this. For Xavier and for little Cal. It’s not fair” Ruby cried as she fell into Charlie’s arms. “And no-one is doing anything. No-one is doing anything to try and find him” Ruby cried. Charlie pursed her lips together as a tear rolled down her cheek. She gently ran her hand across Ruby’s head before taking a deep breath.

“Rubes, there’s something I am going to tell you, but I want you to know that we didn’t tell you this because we thought that we were protecting you” Charlie said

“What is it?” Ruby asked as she sat up and faced Charlie. “Is it to do with Xav? Or who killed him?”

Charlie nodded as she bit her lip, nervous for what Ruby’s reaction was going to be. “Morag and Angelo have been looking into things. Morag especially…..” Charlie trailed off and watched Ruby for a moment as she waited to see what kind of reaction her daughter would have.

“Well?” Ruby questioned, looking hopeful.

“They are meeting with someone today who might know something” Charlie said tentatively and Ruby’s face lit up and the thought of finally being able to get justice for Xavier.

“So someone is going to pay for this? When Cal is older we can tell him someone is rotting in jail for killing his dad?” Ruby said

“Maybe” Charlie said “Let’s not get your hopes up right now, okay” Charlie said as she gently rubbed Ruby’s arm.

“But, it’s looking likely?” Ruby asked

“I really don’t know Rubes. We’ll have to speak to Angelo and Morag about that once we get home” Charlie said and Ruby nodded lightly before she bit her lip. “Rubes, you know you can talk to me about Xavier, about…..” Charlie paused as she noticed Ruby was holding onto Xavier’s wedding ring, which she had worn on a chain since his death.

“It’s so hard to talk about him” Ruby said through the tears. “I’m not ready, not yet” Ruby said as she looked up at Charlie. “Can we not right now? Please” Ruby said and Charlie looked down at her daughters tear stained face, as a tear rolled out of her eye and nodded lightly.

“Sure” Charlie sniffed as she wiped away her tear. “How about we get you home and then when you are ready to talk, I will be there for you” Charlie said as cupped her hand around Ruby’s cheek.

“I can’t go home though” Ruby shook her head “Angelo hates me. He wanted me gone and now I can never come home because if I do he will leave and take the kids with him and I couldn’t let that happen to you mum”

“Rubes, Angelo isn’t going to leave if you come home” Charlie said softly as she moved her hand from Ruby’s cheek and placed it onto her shoulder. “He wants you to come home too”

“Yeah right” Ruby said “You don’t have to lie about it. I know he hates me now”

“Rubes he doesn’t hate you” Charlie said. “If he hated you would he have spent the last 3 days out looking for you?”

“Probably did that just to make you happy” Ruby sighed

“Rubes” Charlie exhaled. “He wants you to come home. We all do. Cal’s really missing his mummy” Charlie said

“I miss him too” Ruby said as a tear rolled down her cheek. “And Ava and Ben.... how is Ben?” Ruby asked

“He’s fine” Charlie answered “It’s been a struggle to get him to go near water, so getting him to wash is even more of a challenge right now, but we will work through that fear with him” Charlie said and Ruby nodded lightly as she bit her lip.

“I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have told Jay to close the gate; I should have checked it myself” Ruby said before bowing her head down.

“Rubes, it was just an accident”

“Yeah but we are so lucky that Ben is okay and nothing more serious happened” Ruby said “What if the next time we aren’t so lucky?” Ruby said as she looked back up at Charlie.

“There’s not going to be a next time Rubes” Charlie said as she tucked Ruby’s hair behind her ear.

“No, because I will never be trusted to look after the kids again” Ruby said sadly.

“Yes you will” Charlie said

“There’s no way Angelo will let me look after them again” Ruby said “He was so mad”

“He’s had a chance to calm down, Rubes. We all have. He will trust you with them again” Charlie said reassuringly. Ruby exhaled lightly before biting her lip. “So, are you going to come home?” Charlie asked and Ruby nodded lightly as she looked down to the ground.

“Yeah, lets go” Ruby said as she stood up from the ground and turned to face Charlie, who was still sitting there.

“Can you give me a little help?” Charlie said as she held her hand out. Ruby smiled at her mother before taking her hand into hers and pulling her up, before she wrapped her arms around her and hugged her tightly. Charlie returned the hug as she ran her hand through Ruby’s hair, before placing a gently kiss on top of her head. “Now let’s get you home” Charlie said as pulled free from the hug. Ruby nodded lightly before they walked back up the garden and in the direction of the car.

Thank you all so much for the lovely comments. :) I must give credit and a huge thank you to Cally for her help with the Charlie/Ruby part of this chapter. Thank you so much! You really helped me and hopefully now that is my block gone and I am able to update more regularly for you guys! :D So here is the next one, I hope you enjoy it. :)

Chapter 67

The car journey back home was quiet. Ruby sat with her head resting against the window, watching as the world passed her by. All she could think of was what could have happened to Ben if Angelo and Charlie hadn't seen that the gate was still open. A tear fell down her face and Charlie looked over to Ruby quickly as she saw her daughter bring her hand up to her face so she could wipe the tear away "Hey, what's that for?" Charlie asked as she placed one hand on Ruby's hand.

"I can't stop thinking about it mum. No matter how much you say that's it’s alright; I can't get it out of my head. If I'd just checked that Jay had closed the gate properly then none of this would have happened" Charlie looked forward, out of the windshield. She saw a sign to a roadside restaurant, and, indicating, she pulled off the road and parked the car in one of the free spaces. Ruby looked around to Charlie confused. "What's going on?" Charlie switched the engine off.

"You and I aren't leaving here until you can forgive yourself. I'm worried about you Ruby. That letter you left, Xavier, Jay, please just talk to me. I'm here to help. And if you can't come to me there's Morag or Leah, Nicole, Gina, Irene even. You're not alone Rubes, please, talk to me or someone" The car fell silent. Ruby shook her head as more tears fell from her eyes.

"I don't want to add to your stress. You've had a hard time with this pregnancy already and everything else that’s happened this year, I don't want to add anything onto that. You’ve had enough to deal with” Ruby said as she looked round at Charlie.

“Rubes, you’re my daughter, you're supposed to stress me out. And I'm supposed to help you” Charlie said, while running her hand through Ruby’s hair. “Ben is fine and he misses his big sister. Ava's annoying him with High School Musical, and Cal? He’s had enough of looking at Angelo and I. He wants his Mummy home" Charlie said before she smiled lightly at her daughter.

“I thought we were going home” Ruby said

“You need to talk about this Ruby” Charlie sighed lightly as she cupped her hand around her daughters tear stained face. “Please”

"I don't know how too. I can't talk about Xavier without it hurting” Ruby said sadly as she bowed her head down. Charlie sighed lightly as she removed her hand from Ruby’s face and faced out in front of her. She pursed her lips together before leaning her head back against the headrest. After what seemed like hours, Charlie unbuckled her seat belt and got out of the car.

"Come on. If we aren't going to talk, we can eat" Charlie said as she opened the passenger door and looked down at Ruby. Ruby looked up at Charlie for a moment before she looked away again, remaining in the car. “Rubes” Charlie said and Ruby just sat there staring up at her mother. “Don’t make me drag you” Ruby sighed lightly and unbuckled her seat belt before stepping out of the car. Truthfully, she was glad of the offer of food. She hadn’t had a proper meal since she left Charlie’s house 3 days before hand. Charlie made sure the car was locked before they walked across the car park and into the restaurant.

Charlie pushed the plate away from in front of her. She wiped her face with the napkin before having a long drink of her water.

"Thirsty?" Ruby asked as she watched the last drop of water leave the glass.

Charlie placed the glass down on the table "Yea. But then in five minutes I'll have to pee"

Ruby laughed "Don't miss that feeling" Charlie looked to Ruby. Ruby looked into Charlie's eyes and then looked back to the table "Mum don't”

"Don't what?" Charlie asked

"Don't start. I know what you're going to say"

"I’ve said all I can" Charlie sighed “It’s up to you now”

“So you’re not going to make me talk about things?” Ruby asked as she looked back up at her mother.

Charlie sighed lightly before she shook her head. “You won’t talk, and I can’t exactly force you. But if you won’t talk to me or any of your friends, Angelo even, then maybe it would be a good idea to talk to a counsellor. You can’t bottle this up forever Ruby. It won’t help you move on or cope if you don’t talk. If you can’t do it for yourself then do it for Cal” Charlie said before she stood up from the table. “Now, if you excuse me, I need to go to the loo” Ruby watched as Charlie walked away from the table and was left to think about what her mother had said. She knew she was right, she needed to talk to someone but it was going to be hard. Sighing lightly she took a drink of her water and looked out of the window as she waited for her mother to return. Once again, her thoughts went back to Ben and what could have happened to him and how she could have ever let that situation happen in the first place. “Ruby” Charlie said loudly as she waved her hand in front of her daughters face. Ruby flinched back slightly startled and looked at her mother. “You were in your own little world there for a minute” Charlie said.

“Sorry, I was just thinking. I’m a rubbish big sister” Ruby said

“Ah Ruby” Charlie said “Please stop beating yourself up about....”

“I am” Ruby interrupted

“Rubes, you are far from being a rubbish sister. Ava absolutely idolizes you and so does Ben come to think of it. They’re always wanting to spend time with you”

“But I almost killed him” Ruby said “And that’s not being a good sister. You better keep that one as far away from me as possible” Ruby said as she pointed to Charlie’s bump.

“That’ll be hard” Charlie said “She loves you already”

Ruby laughed before she pulled a face at her mother “Be serious” Ruby said

“I am” Charlie said “Every time you talk she kicks like crazy”

“Yeah, sure” Ruby said

“Honestly” Charlie said before she stood up from her seat and walked to the other side of the table and next to where Ruby was sitting. She took Ruby’s hand into hers before placing it onto her stomach. “Say something” Ruby looked up at Charlie and raised her eyebrows. “Seriously, talk”

Ruby sighed lightly before she looked down at Charlie’s stomach. “Hey, it’s me, Ruby” Ruby’s eyes widened as she looked up at her mother after feeling the baby kicking. “Okay, so she kicks, but how do you know she isn’t trying to kick me away? Ruby asked, before once again feeling surprised as she felt the baby kick.

“Because I know” Charlie said as she tucked Ruby’s hair behind her ear. “How could anyone not like you?”

“I could give you a list of reasons” Ruby said

“Don’t say a word” Charlie shook her head. “Now how about I give you the cash to pay for this while I nip to the loo – again - and then we can go home and you can save your son from being looked after by Angelo” Charlie said and Ruby let out a small laugh as she nodded her head.

“Ruby” Ava shouted excitedly as she ran down the hall and over to Ruby and wrapped her arms around her.

“Hey, Ava” Ruby smiled as she wrapped her arms around her sister and returned the hug.

“Ruby, Ruby, Ruby” Ben shouted as he ran up to her and tried to push Ava out of the way. “Ruby” Ben shouted again. Ruby pulled back from Ava and looked down to her little brother. He put his hands onto her arms and jumped up as Ruby caught him. Ben wrapped his arms around her neck and Ruby held onto him tightly.

“Oh Benny I am so sorry” Ruby mumbled

“Ruby” Ben said again as he pulled his head back and looked into his sisters eyes. “We were at Daddy’s work today and he said he was going to lock me in the cell but I didn’t do nothing bad” Ben sulked.

“He was just being silly Ben” Ava giggled “Ruby now you are home can you take me to the movies still?”

“C’mon guys let Ruby get into the house” Charlie said as they were both still standing halfway through the door.

“I drawed a picture for you” Ben said

“Oh wow” Ruby said as she placed her brother down on the floor.

“I’ll go get it” Ben shouted as he started to run down to hall, before disappearing out of sight.

“Ruby” Ava said as she pulled on her arm “Can we still go?”

“I don’t know. Maybe not tonight” Ruby said and Ava pulled a face

“Why?” Ava asked

“I can’t find it” Was squealed from somewhere in the house.

“Go help Ben find his picture, and we will see” Ruby said and Ava nodded before running down the hall in search for her brother.

“Hey, someone woke up just at the right time” Angelo said as he walked down the hall with Callum in his arms. When Callum saw Ruby’s his little eyes lit up and he let out a squeal of excitement. He started to wave his arms out to the side and as Angelo got closer to Ruby, Callum flung his arms to go to her.

“Hey baby” Ruby said as she took her son into her arms. “Are you excited to see Mummy?” Ruby asked as she lightly tickled Callum’s chin. Callum laughed happily in his mothers arm’s before Ruby looked up at Angelo and smiled awkwardly.

Angelo stared at her before briefly returning the smile. “Hey, Rubes, I’m glad you came home” Angelo said as he wrapped one arm around Ruby and gave her a little hug, before pulling away quickly.

“I found it. I found it” Ben shouted as he ran down the hall. He reached up and put the paper in front of Ruby’s face. “It’s me and you and my soccer ball” Ben said “Like we played that night”

“Wow thank you Benny” Ruby said as she bent down to her brother’s level and wrapped an arm around him as she balanced Cal on her hip with her other.

“Will you come and play” Ava asked

“Eh, I was going to go for a shower” Ruby said as she looked at Ava.

“Oh” Ava sulked

“I will after my shower, okay” Ruby said and Ava nodded before a smiled appeared on her face.

“And me too” Ben said

“Yeah you too” Ruby said before she handed Callum to Charlie and went up the stairs to take her shower. Ava and Ben ran off to play, leaving Charlie and Angelo standing in the hall.

“What was that all about with Ruby?” Charlie asked

“What?” Angelo said

“The way you welcomed her, well it wasn’t very......welcoming. You don’t seem happy she is back” Charlie said

“I am” Angelo said “It’s just, we have found out who killed Xavier” Angelo said “So I am just a bit....”

“You found out?” Charlie said and Angelo nodded. “Morag is in the living room” Angelo said “How about we go talk to her” Charlie nodded lightly as she followed Angelo down the hall and into the living room.

“Morag, hey, what are you doing waiting in here?” Charlie asked as she placed Callum down in his playpen then walked across to the couch and sat down next to her.

“I didn’t want to get in the way” Morag said

“You wouldn’t have been in the way” Charlie said

“So” Angelo said “As I said, we found out, or well Morag did all the work really but we met the man today who knows who killed Xavier” Angelo said

“Right, so did he tell you who did it? Do you know?” Charlie said and Angelo nodded.

“Well, he didn’t actually tell us who did it, but we know who did it” Angelo said

“Right, so how did you find out who it was?” Charlie asked

“He gave us a disc” Morag said “Neil, Neil Owens. He has a shop, and well the disc he gave us was the CCTV footage from the camera outside his shop. It showed….” Morag paused as she recalled seeing Xavier being hit by the car, and the car just speeding off, not caring about what he had just done. “The accident” Morag continued once she had managed to compose herself. “We were able to read the license plate, on the car….” Morag once again paused, and took a deep breath, tying again to compose herself, to be able to tell Charlie what she was waiting to hear.

“So we put the license plate into the system….” Angelo continued on behalf of Morag, but he too paused. He picked up a brown envelope from the coffee table and took a deep breath as the envelope shook lightly in his hand. He passed it to Charlie and she took the piece of paper out of it and read the information.

“Jason Brown” Charlie said as her eyes widened, before she let out a gasp of shock. “Oh God. It was Jay”

Thank you all soooo much for the comments! I really appreciate them :) Hope you like this next one!

Chapter 68

Charlie sat on the couch, somewhat in shock. Although she had her suspicions about Jay, she never expected it to be this. Drugs, dodgy dealings, a loan shark, had all crossed her mind, but she never imagined that he would have done something like this. “Breathe, Charlie” Angelo said as he placed his hand on her shoulder and knelt down in front of her. Charlie looked at Angelo as she took a breath.

“How can….we can’t…..I can’t tell her this” Charlie said, shaking her head.

“She needs to know, Charlie” Morag said as she placed her onto Charlie’s back and gave it a gentle rub.

“But she was involved with him, she was…..she was falling for him….how can I tell her that the man she was dating was the guy responsible for killing her husband” Charlie said as she looked from Angelo to Morag. “This is going to push her over the edge. She’s so fragile right now as it is, this is just going to…..I can’t tell her” Charlie said, shaking her head lightly.

“You don’t need to be the one to tell her” Angelo said “But she does need to be told” Angelo ran his hand down Charlie’s arm and took her hand into his, squeezing it lightly. “She has such conflicting feelings over Jay anyways; maybe she won’t take it as bad as you think”

Charlie looked up at Angelo, shocked at what he had just said. “Angelo, he killed her husband. She was in a relationship with him, how do you think she is going take it?”

“Look, Charlie” Morag said, stepping in before Charlie and Angelo’s conversation could develop into a big argument between the two. “Of course this is going to be hard for Ruby, but maybe finally getting some answers, some closure, being closer to getting justice for Xavier’s death will help her. This might be what she needs to know before she can begin properly grieving for Xavier and being able to talk about it”

“Yeah, maybe” Charlie said “But I don’t know how I can….” Charlie stopped talking as Ruby walked into the room and over to the playpen, as she tied her wet hair back into a loose pony tail. “Hey, that was a quick shower” Charlie said as she watched her daughter leaning over the playpen and picking up her young son.

“Yeah, I just want to spend time with Cal” Ruby said as she looked round at her mother. Angelo glanced briefly at Charlie and she took a deep breath and nodded lightly before Angelo gave her hand a reassuring squeeze.

“I’ll go keep the kids occupied so they don’t bother you” Angelo said as he stood from his position, and he smiled at Ruby who was making faces at her son as she held him in her arms.

“I’ll come with you” Morag said as she stood up from the couch. She gave Charlie an encouraging smile and gently rubbed her arm before she walked away and followed Angelo out of the room and up the stairs to where the kids were playing.

“Why do I have the feeling they left us alone on purpose?” Ruby asked as she looked at her mother.

“Rubes, come and sit down” Charlie said she pointed to the space next to her on the couch. “And maybe just put Cal back down for a bit”

“Mum what is it?” Ruby asked “You’re not going to make me talk about…”

“Rubes, please just come sit” Charlie said and Ruby exhaled heavily before placing Callum back down in the playpen and walking over to the couch taking a seat next to Charlie. Charlie took a deep breath as she took Ruby’s hand into hers. “Remember how I told you that Morag and Angelo had been looking into who killed Xavier?” Charlie spoke slowly and tentatively as she looked into her daughters eyes.

“Yeah, what about it?” Ruby asked

Charlie pursed her lips together before exhaling lightly “Oh God, I don’t know how to tell you this” Charlie said

“Tell me what?” Ruby asked and upon seeing the look on Charlie’s face let a small gasp “They’ve found him haven’t they?” Charlie nodded and went to speak but then paused again, unable to tell Ruby who it was who killed Xavier. “It’s alright mum, just tell me. I want to know” Ruby said. Charlie bit her lip and she stared at Ruby silently for a moment. She ran her hand through Ruby’s ponytail before taking a deep breath. “Mum” Ruby said.

Charlie took another deep breath before talking. “Rubes, it was….it was…..” Charlie paused. She looked at her daughter and pursed her lips together before exhaling lightly. “It was Jay”

“Jay” Ruby said “My Jay?” Ruby said as she pointed to herself. “It can’t have been, he wouldn’t….he…..Jay?” Ruby said as she stood up and took a few paces away from the couch.

“I’m so sorry Ruby” Charlie said

“Jay?” Ruby questioned “But why would he…..how could he…..oh my God I slept with him” Ruby said as she brought her hand up to her chest. “I slept with the man who killed my husband” A lone tear rolled down Ruby’s cheek. “Oh God I’m going to be sick” Ruby said as she felt the bile rising to her throat. She placed her hand over her mouth before she ran from the room. Charlie jumped slightly as heard the door slamming shut. She ran her hands through her hair before placing her head in her hands. Taking a deep breath she stood up and made her way out of the living room.

“Hey, is she okay?” Angelo asked as he appeared in front of Charlie and placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder. Charlie looked up at Angelo and shook her head lightly.

“How do you think she is Angelo? She’s just found her sort of boyfriend killed her husband” Charlie yelled

“Do you want me to go talk to her?” Angelo asked and Charlie shook her head.

“No, just watch Cal” Charlie said before she walked out of the room and made her way up to the bathroom. She knocked lightly on the bathroom door before opening it to find Ruby sitting against the wall next to the toilet, tears streaming down her face.

“Please don’t” Ruby said as she looked up at her mother.

“Don’t what?” Charlie asked as she closed the door and walked further into the room.

“Say it” Ruby answered “I already know it so you don’t need to say it” Ruby said

“Say what? Rubes, I don’t know what you are talking about” Charlie said, feeling slightly confused.

“You are going to tell me that you were right all along about Jay and that if I had listened to you in the first place and stayed away from him I wouldn’t have felt this hurt” Ruby said through the tears.

“Rubes, I wasn’t going to say that” Charlie said “I’ve not been thinking that at all. I just want to see if you are okay”

“I’ve just found out I’ve been dating the man who killed my husband, how do you think I feel” Ruby cried “I should feel happy you have found out who it is and that he is going to get punished but I feel even worse than I did now. I’ve betrayed Xav in the worst possible way. As if moving on as quickly as I did wasn’t bad enough, I had to do it with his killer”

“You weren’t to know that” Charlie said

“And you think that makes a difference?” Ruby asked “Why didn’t I listen to you? You said there was something about him and I should stay away from him, why didn’t I just listen?” Ruby said, the tears streaming down her face. Charlie exhaled lightly as she walked across the room and sat down on the edge of the bathtub. Before she had a chance to reply, Ruby spoke again. “Do you think he knew?” Ruby said as she looked up at her mother, trying to stop the tears falling.

“I don’t know Ruby” Charlie answered “I really don’t know”

“He couldn’t have” Ruby said as she pushed herself up onto her knees. “He wouldn’t purposely seek me out to get closer to me, would he?”

“Rubes, I don’t know what Jay knew or didn’t about you” Charlie said

“Is he going to get a trail and be sentenced?” Ruby asked “Has he been arrested yet?”

“He will be” Charlie answered and Ruby bit her lip before she looked down to floor.

“I think I was….I was really falling for him Mum” Ruby said, as a tear rolled down her cheek.

“Aw Rubes, come here” Charlie said and Ruby stood up and walked over to her mother. Charlie wrapped her arms around her daughter and Ruby welcomed the hug, tightly holding onto her mother.

“I don’t have to go to the trail do I? I don’t have to say anything?” Ruby asked as she pulled back.

“No” Charlie shook her head “If you don’t want to, you don’t have to do anything” Charlie said as she tucked a loose strand of Ruby’s hair behind her ear.

“I don’t want to see him ever again” Ruby said “I just want him to be punished for what he did”

“I know. We all do Rubes” Charlie said as held Ruby’s hands in hers. “And he will be, we’ll make sure of it”

Ruby smiled lightly at her mother as she moved her hands away, and wiped the tears from her eyes. “I want some time to think about things” Ruby said “I’m going to take Cal out in the buggy, go for a little walk”

“Rubes” Charlie said

“I’m not going to run off again, Mum, please, I just want to be on my own for a little while or, well, with my son”

“Ruby, you can’t just keep saying things like that. You need to talk about this. It’s the only way you are going to move passed this” Charlie said she took Ruby’s hand back into hers and rubbed it gently.

“I’m not ready” Ruby said “You can’t force this Mum. When I am ready I will talk. Please, just let me do this in my own time”

Charlie exhaled lightly before biting her lip. “Okay” Charlie said. As desperate as she was to help Ruby and get her to talk, she knew that if she kept pressuring her to do so she was just going to push her further away, possible make things worse for Ruby, so she had to do this Ruby’s way.

“Thank you” Ruby said “Now I’m going to go see my son” Ruby said before she walked out of the room. Charlie stayed in the bathroom and put her head in her hands as she sighed. After what must have been a few minutes Angelo walked into the room and sat down next to Charlie. Turning to face her, he pulled her closer to him, before Charlie fell into his arms, welcoming the hug her husband was offering her. Angelo ran his hand through Charlie’s hair before he placed a gentle kiss on top of her head.

“You know she will be okay” Angelo said “She’ll get past all this”

“Really?” Charlie said as she pulled back from her husband and gave him a quizzical look. “Because she hasn’t even begun to grieve properly and now she is faced with the news that she’s been dating her husband’s killer”

“I know that Charlie, but, she will get passed this”

“Oh yeah? How?” Charlie asked “Because no matter how much I try to help her she won’t open up about anything. How is she going to get passed this if she doesn’t talk?”

“She will when she is ready, don’t push her Charlie”

Charlie shook her head, tears filled her eyes and she desperately tried to hold on to the tears as tightly as she could "I hate not being able to help her. I promised her that I'll always be there for her. And if can't help her with this, what kind of a mother does that make me?" Angelo felt compassion for Charlie. He could see what this was doing to her. Unable to find the words to help make this any better for Charlie, he simply pulled Charlie close to him once more and cradled her in a hug. “Angelo, don’t” Charlie said

“Don’t what?” Angelo asked, slightly confused.

“Don’t just hug me, so you don’t have to say anything” Charlie said as she pulled back from her husband, and looked up at him, the confused expression still very much present on his face.

“Well I’m sorry, but I don’t know what else to say” Angelo said “If I did I would be telling you”

"I know, I'm sorry, I just, I can't help this. I want to be there for her. I know the more I push her, the more she'll pull away, but, I just want to help" Charlie cried

“I know you do” Angelo said as he tentatively placed his hand on Charlie’s shoulder. “But maybe the best thing to do, is to just forget about it, just leave her to do this her way, and she will talk to you when she is ready”

“How can you be sure she will?” Charlie asked as she sniffed back her tears.

“Because she is stubborn, just like you” Angelo said. “And sometimes you take a long time to open up and talk about things, but you always do eventually, so I have no doubts that Ruby will do the same” Charlie looked at Angelo and smiled lightly.

“Yeah, your right” Charlie smiled “But it’s just so hard to see her like this”

“I know” Angelo said “But things will get easier Charlie. It might take some time, but she’ll get there” Charlie smiled once more at Angelo, before there was a knock at the door and Ben came running into the room.

“Why are you sitting on the bath?” Ben asked as he placed one hand onto Angelo’s knee and the other onto Charlie’s.

“We were just talking mate” Angelo said as he ruffled his son hair.

“Daddy we go play soccer?” Ben asked “Ava made Granny put High School Musical on” Ben sighed “I don’t like that”

“Eh” Angelo said before looking at Charlie who nodded lightly at him. “Sure we can mate, let’s go” Angelo said before he ushered Ben out of the room. Charlie sighed lightly as she placed her hand onto her stomach and gently moved her hand in a circular motion.

“What are we going to do about this sister of yours, hmm” Charlie said to the baby, as she still gently rubbed her stomach. The baby responded to Charlie’s voice with a kick and Charlie smiled lightly and she stared down at her stomach. “Hmm, I just don’t know baby” Charlie said.

“Mummy, who are you talking too?” Ava asked as she ran into the room.

“Eh, I was talking to the baby” Charlie said as she wrapped her arms around her daughter.

“Can I talk to the baby?” Ava asked and Charlie nodded before Ava put her hand onto Charlie’s stomach.

“Hello Peanut, it’s Ava, I’m your big sister” Ava said before her eyes widened at feeling her baby sisters kicks. “I can’t wait to meet you. I’m going to give you lots of cuddles. Can she really hear me Mummy?” Ava asked as she looked up to Charlie and Charlie nodded.

“Yeah” Charlie said “Of course she can” Ava smiled before looking back down at Charlie’s stomach.

“I will tell you all about High School Musical and I will even let you play with my Gabriella doll” Charlie smiled and ran her hand through her daughter’s hair as she listened to her talking to her baby sister.

Thank you all so much for commenting :D Also, again, thanks to Cally for her help. :) I'm really not sure about this chapter but going to go with it anyways.....so yer. Let me know what you think.

Chapter 69

Hours had passed since Charlie told Ruby about what Jay had done, and Ruby was still hadn’t appeared home from her walk. Morag had gone back to her house, and Ava was sitting in her bedroom in a sulk at the news that she wasn’t going to be going to the cinema with Ruby that evening. Angelo was in the kitchen making the dinner, while Charlie was sitting at the table with Ben, who was drawing a picture. “I like drawing Mummy” Ben smiled as he picked up a green crayon and started to scribble across to the bottom of the piece to paper to resemble some grass.

“Yeah, I know you do” Charlie smiled as she lightly ruffled her son’s hair, before looking around the kitchen to see his drawings displayed on the fridge and walls.

“I think this one is for Ava cos she’s sad” Ben said and Charlie smiled.

“Aww, I bet she’ll love that” Charlie said

“Yeah” Ben giggled “Mummy can you colour the sun?” Ben asked as he handed Charlie a yellow crayon. Charlie smiled at her son as she took the crayon from him, before she quickly glanced up at the clock on the wall. Letting out a small sigh, she glanced quickly at Angelo. “Mummy, the sun, colour it” Ben said as he placed his hand onto Charlie’s arm. Charlie let out another little sigh, before she looked down at Ben’s picture and started to colour in the sun for him.

“Stop worrying” Angelo said

“I’m not worrying” Charlie said as she kept her glance on the picture.

“Yes, you are” Angelo said “She’ll be fine. She just needs to let this sink in and get her head around everything that’s happened”

“I know she does” Charlie replied sharply

“Good. So you don’t need to worry”

“I’m not” Charlie raised her voice “Don’t try to tell me how I feel”

“Charlie, I’m not trying to tell you how you feel” Angelo said as he stopped what he was doing and walked over to the table. “It’s just pretty clear that you are worrying about her”

“Well I can’t help it” Charlie said “She’s my daughter, of course I am going to worry how she is after telling her something like that” Charlie spat

“See, I told you you were worried” Angelo laughed lightly

“Oh well done you. What do you want? A gold star?” Charlie spat

“Charlie” Angelo said before looking down at Ben, who had now given up on his picture and was staring at his parents. “Hey mate, why don’t you give Ava that picture now? See if you can get out of that sulk?”

“No” Ben said sounding shocked at his Dad’s suggestion. “It’s not done yet”

“Dinner is nearly ready anyways” Charlie said “Clean your stuff away and you can finish it later, yeah?” Charlie said and Ben nodded before he picked up the crayons and paper from the table and jumped down from the seat before running out of the room.

“Charlie, what have I done wrong?” Angelo asked feeling slightly confused as he scratched his head.

“Nothing. The whole world doesn’t revolve around you, you know” Charlie spat as she stood up from the table and walked over to the cupboard and lifted out the placemats. She walked back over to the table and started to set the mats out at their sitting places.

“There’s obviously something wrong” Angelo said as he took hold of Charlie’s arm. Charlie looked at Angelo briefly before pulling her arm away. “Does this have something to do with why you slept in Ruby’s bed these past few nights?” Angelo asked “I thought that maybe it was just because it would make you feel closer to Ruby or something like that when she wasn’t here, or that it was so you were there for Cal quicker when if he woke” Angelo said and Charlie shook her head lightly.

“That’s got nothing to do with it” Charlie said

“So if Ruby’s got nothing to do with it, you must be mad at me” Angelo said

“I said I’m not” Charlie answered

Angelo sighed lightly as he rubbed his forehead. “Right, so are you coming back into our bed tonight?”

“No, I think I will sleep on the couch” Charlie answered quietly. Angelo exhaled lightly as a wave of confusion washed over him.

“Charlie what……why….you are not sleeping on the couch” Angelo said

“Don’t tell me what I can and cannot do” Charlie spat “If I want to sleep on the couch, I will”

“Charlie you are pregnant” Angelo said “You should be sleeping in a bed not on a couch”

“Fine you can sleep on the couch” Charlie retorted. Angelo sighed lightly as he once again rubbed his forehead, totally clueless as to why Charlie was suddenly acting like this. He knew over the last few days Charlie had been mixed with letting Angelo comfort her when she was upset over Ruby or not wanting to even listen to him, but he didn’t know what was bringing this change in feelings on.

“Charlie please just tell me what I’ve done. Something’s obviously been bothering you” Angelo said

“Do I need to have a reason for my mood?” Charlie asked “Can’t I just be having a bad day?”

“A bad day?” Angelo questioned “More like a bad week” Angelo muttered

“Well can you blame me?” Charlie yelled “Ruby had left and it was your fault, I had no idea where she was and I was mad at you for giving me that stupid ultimatum, not to mention the kids having this week off school just to add even more stress into the situation”

“We’re back to this” Angelo sighed “Charlie, I thought we sorted all that stuff out and agreed it wasn’t my fault Ruby left, she wanted to go”

“But you’re stupid ultimatum gave her that push. If she never heard that then she would never have left” Charlie yelled

“Oh Charlie I am not arguing about this again. We’ve been through all this” Angelo said as he once again let out a sigh as he rubbed his forehead. “And Ruby’s back now so there’s no point in this”

“Doesn’t look like she is here to me” Charlie yelled “She’s probably ran off again” Charlie said before they heard the front door closing and footsteps walking down the hall. Ruby appeared at the kitchen door with her son sitting happily in her arms. She looked up at Charlie and then to Angelo, and back to Charlie before she pursed her lips together.

“Oh, I haven’t walked in on anything have I?” Ruby said awkwardly as she felt the tension in the room.

“No, not at all” Charlie forced a smile “You’re back just in time for dinner”

“Eh, I ate with Nic” Ruby said “So I’m not needing anything. But I do need to get this one fed” Ruby said as she looked down at her son.

“Right” Charlie nodded as she tucked her hair behind her ear. “Well I’ll get that sorted for him, if you could go tell the kids their dinner is ready” Charlie said and Ruby nodded as she handed Callum to Charlie before making a much wanted escape from the room. She ran up the stairs and walked down the hall and leaned herself against the door frame of Ava’s bedroom to find Ava trying to explain to Ben how to play connect four.

“Hey guys” Ruby smiled “Dinner is ready”

“Yummy, its Daddy’s pasta tonight” Ben squealed as he stood up from the floor and ran from the room. Ruby laughed lightly as watched her little brother jumping down the stairs, before she looked back into Ava’s bedroom to find that she was still sitting there with a rather sad expression across her face.

“Hey, Ava” Ruby said “What’s the matter?” Ruby walked further into the bedroom and sat down next to her little sister.

“Mum and Dad were shouting” Ava said as she looked down to the floor “I don’t like it when they shout. That’s what made Daddy leave. It might happen again”

“Hey, Av’s you don’t need to worry about that, okay. Sometimes Mum’s and Dad’s will shout at each other. It doesn’t mean anything bad is going to happen” Ruby said as she ran her hand through her little sisters hair.

“That’s what Mum said the last time and it did” Ava said as she looked up at Ruby, sadly.

“Ava” Ruby exhaled lightly as she once again ran her hand through her sister’s hair. She was about to speak again when she looked up to find Charlie had walked into the room. Ruby looked up at her mother before glancing back at her sister.

“Hey, sweetie” Charlie said as she saw the look of sadness on her young daughters face. “What’s wrong?” Charlie looked at Ruby once more and Ava sat in silence. “Ava” Charlie said

“I just don’t like it when you shout” Ava said “It makes me sad to hear you and Dad always shouting”

“Aw Ava, come here sweetie” Charlie said and Ava jumped up from the spot she was sitting and walked over to her mother. Charlie bent down as far as her bump would allow and took Ava’s hands into hers. “You need to stop worrying about me and your Daddy shouting. We don’t like to shout, but sometimes we have too, but it doesn’t mean we don’t love each other” Charlie said and Ava stared at her blankly. “You understand sweetie?” Charlie asked and Ava nodded

“Yes, I do” Ava said quietly.

“Hey, and we still love you, and Ben, and Rubes, and Cal” Charlie said

“And Peanut too?” Ava asked

“Yeah, Peanut too” Charlie smiled as she gently ran her down her Ava’s cheek. “Now, your dinner is on the table, so go eat it whilst it’s hot” Charlie said and Ava ran out of her room, leaving Charlie and Ruby alone.

“Everything alright?” Ruby asked

“Yeah, fine" Charlie said "How about you? How are you feeling now about all this Jay stuff?” Charlie said as she looked at her daughter, and saw her grimace as his name was mentioned.

“Don’t turn this back on how I am feeling” Ruby eventually spoke. Charlie sighed lightly before she turned to walk out of the room.

“Mum” Ruby said as she jumped up from the floor and followed Charlie, and put her hand onto Charlie’s arm. "What happend?"

“I don’t know what happened Ruby” Charlie said “I just flipped. I just started yelling at him”

Ruby looked at Charlie sympathetically “Oh Mum”

Charlie brought her hands to her face, wiping them across her cheek, as though to push something away “I couldn't stop Rubes, I just couldn’t stop. All these things just came out, I had no control” Charlie said shaking her head, feeling disgusted with herself.

“Aww Mum, don’t cry” Ruby said as she saw the tear escaping Charlie’s eye.

“I can’t help it” Charlie said as another tear fell from her cheek. “I hate this, all of it. I hate how I feel, what its doing to Ava, I just can’t deal with it anymore. This isn’t fair on you or Cal either, and I can't be dealing with this on top of this" Charlie broke off as she placed her hands on her stomach.

“Dealing with what?” Ruby asked feeling confused.

“Ruby, I don’t know if….” Charlie paused as she looked at her daughter’s eyes. They were full of wonder of what Charlie was going to say. Charlie exhaled lightly before she shook her head. As much as she wanted to let it all out, she knew it wouldn’t be right to dump it all on Ruby right now. She was dealing with enough. “It’s nothing” Charlie forced a smile as she wiped one last tear from her face.

“Mum, c’mon” Ruby said as she gave her arm a gently squeeze. “Something is clearly bothering you”

Charlie remained silent for moment, and was glad to find Ben running into the room, so she wouldn’t have to talk any further. “Mummy you pasta is getting cold” Ben said as he ran up to her. “And Cal is crying for his food” Ben said as he looked up at Ruby.

“Yeah, we’re coming” Charlie said as she looked at Ruby, while gently pushing Ben forward and followed him out of the room. As they walked down the hall, Ruby placed her hand onto Charlie’s arm. Charlie looked round at her daughter and shook her head lightly. “Rubes don’t” Charlie said Ruby sighed lightly before staying quiet as they walked to the kitchen. Once there, Ruby sat next to the highchair and gave Callum his dinner, while Charlie joined Angelo and the kids at the table. Charlie sat silently as she made a start to eating her pasta, not even making any sort of contact with Angelo.

“Mum” Ava said

“Yes Ava?” Charlie asked as she looked at her daughter.

“Well I was wondering if we could go swimming tomorrow” Ava said

“Yeah of course we can” Charlie said

“Really?” Ava smiled

“Yea” Charlie nodded before taking a drink of her water “We can go anytime in our pool”

“Oh not our pool” Ava shook her head “I want you to take me to the one in Yabbie Creek with the flumes”

“But we can go swimming all day for free in our pool” Charlie said

“I wanted to go on the flumes though. You never take me there anymore” Ava said sadly as she bowed her head down. Angelo glanced at Charlie before Charlie looked away from him as she kept moving the fork around her bowl, but not taking any food out. Charlie exhaled lightly, before she looked back at Ava.

“If you want to go swimming then we will go in our pool” Charlie said

“But Mum” Ava moaned

“But nothing” Charlie yelled “You’ll do as you are told” Ava bowed her head down and her bottom lip started to tremble as if she was going to cry. Angelo shook his head at Charlie, before taking a drink of his beer, which he had opened earlier, after Charlie had left the room, following their argument. Charlie sighed lightly before she ran her hand though her hair. Ruby watched from the corner of her eye, but kept most of her attention on feeding her son. Charlie sat in silence as she continued to play with her food, but not actually eating any of it.

“That’ll be cold by now” Angelo said as he leaned forward at put his hand on the edge of her bowl “I’ll heat it up for you”

“It’s fine” Charlie said coldly.

“You can’t eat it cold” Angelo said “It’s no bother, I will heat it up”

“I said its fine” Charlie raised her voice. Angelo pulled his hand away and took a long drink of his beer. Charlie exhaled lightly before talking a drink of her water, not making any contact with anyone. Ava and Ben sat in complete silence, almost too afraid to talk, or even move. Ruby, who was feeling uncomfortable at the ever increasing tension that was forming in the room, was glad when Callum took the last spoonful of food into his mouth. Standing up from the chair, she walked over to the sink and put the bowl and spoon into it, before walking back across to her son and lifting him out of the highchair.

“I’m just going to take Cal for his bath” Ruby said as she started to walk out of the room.

“Can I go help, please” Ava said almost in a whisper as she looked up at Angelo.

“Sure you can” Angelo nodded and Ava quickly jumped down from the seat and ran across to her sister, before they left the room. “You can go off too, if you are finished mate” Angelo said as he looked at Ben, and not needing to be told twice, Ben jumped down from the table and made a quick exit from the room, leaving his parents in silence. Charlie took another drink before finally eating some of her pasta. “Charlie, what’s going on?” Angelo asked

“Angelo, don’t” Charlie sighed as she rubbed her forehead.

“But Charlie…..”

“Just don’t, before I say something I’ll regret” Charlie said as she stood up from the table and walked out of the room, slamming the door shut behind her. Angelo remained in his seat and shook his head in disbelief as he let out a sigh, completely confused at Charlie’s behaviour.

Thank you Charis, Cally, Rach Loves H&A and Laura for the lovely comments! :) Again, special thanks to Cally for the help :P Hope you all like this one! :D

Chapter 70

Ruby walked down the stairs and into the living room and was slightly surprised to see Angelo sitting on the couch, nursing a beer, while watching the TV. “Hey Rubes” Angelo said as he saw her walking into the room. “Couldn’t sleep?” Angelo asked and Ruby shook her head as she sat down on the couch next to Angelo. “Me either” Angelo said before he took a swig of his beer. “I don’t suppose you know why your mother has sent me onto the couch?” Angelo asked as he noticed Ruby had spotted the pillow and blanket that was sitting on the couch, at the other side of Angelo. Ruby slowly shook her head as she pursed her lips together.

“No, I really don’t know. I think she was going tell me before, but then she just stopped, said it didn’t matter” Ruby said “You didn’t ask her yourself?” Angelo looked at Ruby and raised his eyebrows. “Right, yeah, stupid question Ruby” Ruby mumbled as she watched Angelo pulling at the label of his beer. “Let me guess? She wouldn’t talk about it” Ruby said and Angelo once again raise his eyebrows at Ruby. “Once again, stupid question Ruby”

“I just want to know if I have done something wrong, or what’s bothering her” Angelo said, still picking at the label of his beer.

“Have you done anything wrong?” Ruby asked tentatively

“No. At least I don’t think so” Angelo answered

“Right, well you know what Mum can be like. Sometimes it just takes her a while to talk about things”

“Yeah, I know” Angelo said as he turned to face Ruby on the couch. “Just like someone else I know”

“Angelo...I....” Ruby paused as she bowed her head down.

“I’m not going to make you talk, but I just want you to know that I am here for you if you ever did want too” Angelo said. Ruby smiled at her step-dad as she lightly nodded her head.

“I know you are” Ruby said as she fiddled with the tie from her dressing gown. “But....it’s just that you and Mum have been through so much lately, I can’t add my problems on top of that” Ruby broke off as she looked away from Angelo.

“Rubes” Angelo began, as he placed his hand on top of hers. “You know that no matter what is going on in her life, your Mum would still have time for you. All she wants is for you to talk about how you are feeling” Angelo watched Ruby, and could see she was thinking deeply about what he had said. “And you know I want that too” Angelo squeezed Ruby’s hand lovingly. Ruby looked at Angelo and smiled.

“I can’t” Ruby said after a brief period of silence. “I can’t say it again. I didn’t mean to say it to him, but I did and now he is gone and I can’t take it back” Ruby bowed her head down as she felt tears forming in her eyes.

“Say what, Rubes?” Angelo asked he placed a comforting hand on her shoulder. Ruby took a deep breath before she looked back up at Angelo. She sat in silence for a moment, before once more taking a deep breath. “Right before Xavier’s accident, I told him....” Ruby paused as a tear rolled down her cheek. “I told him....I said I hated him” Ruby said quietly as a tear rolled down her cheek.

“Aw Rubes” Angelo said as he gently squeezed her shoulder. He noticed her opening her mouth again, as if she was going to say something, but no sound came out. He wanted her to continue talking, but he didn’t want to push it out of her, so he decided to wait and let talk in her own time.

“We were having an argument. That’s why he left the flat” Ruby paused once more as her tears became heavier. “When I said I hat....when I said it, you should have seen his face, he looked so shocked. I’d never said that to him before” Ruby said as she bowed her head down. “And now it was the last thing I said to him. He die....he died thinking I hated him”

“Rubes, Xavier wouldn’t have thought that. You loved Xav, it was obvious to everyone. He wouldn’t have believed that you hated him”

“Then why did he storm away after I said it? He must have believed it” Ruby cried

“Rubes, you know that your Mum has told me she hated me before when we’ve argued, and afterwards I would storm off, it’s just in the heat of the argument. But even though she said she hated me, when I looked into her eyes I would know she didn’t mean it because they told me something completely different” Angelo said as she watched Ruby wiping away the tears that kept falling down her face. Leaning forward, he picked up the box of tissues from the coffee table and handed them to Ruby. Pulling a few tissues from box she wiped the tears from the face, before giving Angelo a thankful smile.

“So you really don’t think he would have believed I hated him?” Ruby asked as she sniffed.

“No, not for one second Rubes” Angelo said he lightly shook his head while watching Ruby continue to wipe away her tears. “Is this why you haven’t wanted to talk about this?” Angelo asked and Ruby nodded lightly as she looked up at him.

“I didn’t want to admit it” Ruby choked back the tears as she tried to talk “I just felt so guilty. If I never said I hated him, he would never have stormed off, he would never have been run over, and he would never have died. It was my fault Angelo, it was all my fault” Ruby began crying uncontrollably as she fell into Angelo, leaning her head against his chest. Angelo exhaled lightly as he wrapped his arms around her and held her in a comforting hug.

“Ruby, what happened with Xavier, it was just a terrible accident and I never want to hear you blaming yourself. You are not to blame for this. The only person responsible for Xavier’s death was Jay, and, believe me Ruby I am going to make sure he pays for this” Ruby exhaled lightly as she pulled away from Angelo, and sat herself back up.

“No” Ruby shook her head, as once again, a tear fell down her cheek. “It was my fault because he left the flat because of me. It was my fault he died...”

“Rubes” Angelo shook his head. “No. Don’t do this to yourself” Angelo said “Is this why you haven’t talked about it? You feel guilty and think it was your fault? Rubes, saying you hated him, it doesn’t make it your fault”

“It made him leave the flat though” Ruby said “So technically...”

“So technically, nothing” Angelo spoke over Ruby, cutting her off. “Saying something to someone doesn’t make what happens next your fault” Ruby shook her head, and went to talk, but Angelo continued. “Take me and your Mum, how many times have one of us said something and have the other storm off?” Ruby looked to Angelo as she pursed her lips together.

“I kinda lost count after fight 100” Ruby said and Angelo laughed lightly, and Ruby joined in briefly, before the smile fell from her face.

“But seriously, Rubes. The only way you are going to get passed this, is if you stop blaming yourself and talk about your feelings” Ruby nodded her head as she exhaled.

“Thanks, Angelo” Ruby smiled and Angelo smiled back at her before silence fell upon the room. After what must have been a few minutes, Ruby spoke again. “I’m really sorry for what happened with Ben” Ruby said as she bowed her head.

“It was just an accident Rubes, I’m sorry too; I should never have said I wanted you to leave. I didn’t mean it. You know I didn’t mean it, right?” Angelo said

“Well considering the reception you gave me when I came home, I figured you did, but then when I found out about Jay, I figured that may have had something to do with it, then how great you’ve been for me tonight....” Ruby trailed off as she started pulling parts off the tissue she was holding in her hand. “I know you didn’t mean it Angelo. You’re kid could have drowned and I would have been responsible. You were just lashing out at the situation”

“Well I should have handled it better” Angelo sighed “Especially the way I spoke to your Mother. I should never have put that ultimatum on her” Angelo shook his head, almost in disgust at himself for putting that upon Charlie. “She could never choose and I hate myself for telling her she had to, and for telling her I would leave and take the kids with me, how could I do that? I was basically saying that I didn't trust Charlie with my kids and that I didn't trust her kid with mine. Which is not true, you are my daughter just as much as Ava and Peanut are and I am sorry Ruby, I am really sorry”

“Its okay” Ruby said “I understand why you acted like that about me. Thinking about it, if anyone put Cal in danger like that, I would probably be the same”

“Still doesn’t make it okay though, does it?” Angelo sighed “I gave your mum so much extra stress that she just didn’t need. Maybe this has something to do with why she has been so moody lately”

“Could be” Ruby said “But I really have no idea what’s wrong”

“I don't mean that in a bad way, it’s just, I know this is how Charlie deals with things like this, but I hate that I added to that over something that now doesn’t seem so bad. I hate putting Charlie through more stress, especially since Rachel said she needed to take things a lot easier after the car accident...” Angelo trailed off as he bowed his head down.

“I’m sure you didn’t mean to add to her stress” Ruby said “We both know it would be the last thing you wanted to do” Angelo smiled as he listened to Ruby. “And you know, she will talk to you when she is ready”

“Yeah, I’m sure she will” Angelo smiled, but Ruby noticed his smile was hiding something more.

“Angelo?” Ruby said “What else is there?” Angelo looked at Ruby and pulled a face. “Don’t even think about saying nothing” Ruby said “I can see there is something”

Angelo exhaled lightly before talking. “The love I used to see in your Mothers eyes.....sometimes, I don’t see it anymore” Angelo paused before he ran his hand over his eyes, as if pushing back the tears wanting to fall “Ever since Shelly....I see....it’s like the love has been replaced with distrust and disappointment, sometimes I even feel she feels hate for me”

“Angelo, Mum does love you, I know that for sure. And quite honestly, I would be worried if she didn’t feel some disappointment with you after what happened. As for distrust? I’m pretty sure she does trust you, Angelo, I mean didn’t she tell you that she did not so long ago?”

Angelo nodded lightly as he looked round at Ruby. “Maybe she is trying to fool herself, or she is just telling me what she thinks I want to hear”

“I don’t know if she is doing that or not” Ruby said “But I don’t believe she would. But I also think you need to talk to her about this, because only she knows what she is truly feeling and you should probably do it sooner rather than later”

“I know” Angelo said “But I’m afraid Ruby, I’m afraid of what she will say”

"I know you are, but, if you wait any longer to talk to her, things will just get a lot worse for both of you. And you've been through too much together to let something this silly ruin that. Talk to her Angelo, before it’s too late" Ruby said as she looked at Angelo with a sympathetic face.

Angelo took a deep breath before he smiled at Ruby. “You’re right. I will, I will talk to her in the morning” Angelo said

“Good” Ruby smiled, before letting out a yawn. “Well I think I am going to hit the hay” Ruby said as she jumped up from the couch.

“Yeah me too” Angelo said as he too stood up and lifted up the blanket and opened it out, before laying it down on the couch. Ruby gave him a sympathetic smile, before she leaned over and gave him a hug.

“Thanks again, for tonight” Ruby said as Angelo embraced her in the hug.

“You’re welcome” Angelo smiled “And I owe you a thanks too” Angelo said.

Ruby pulled back from the hug. “Well, you’re welcome too” Ruby smiled before she turned and made her way out of the living room. Stopping at the door she turned around and watched as Angelo picked up the empty beer bottle from the coffee table and began to walk into the direction of the kitchen.

“Goodnight Dad, I love you” Ruby said

“Night Rubes” Angelo smiled “I love you too”

Thank you all so much for the comments! :wub: Hope you all like this next one, and once again, thanks Cally! :D

Chapter 71

It was the next morning and Angelo had made sure he was up early enough so he could remove the blanket and pillow from the living room before the kids were up, so they didn’t see he was sleeping on the couch. He walked up the stairs, and took a deep breath before tentatively knocking on his bedroom door. Waiting, but getting no response, he slowly opened the door to find that the room was empty. He walked into the room and placed his pillow back down on the bed before walking over to the wardrobe and placing the blanket back on the top of it. Looking up at the door of the en-suite, he felt a slight feeling of panic run through him as he saw it open, and have Charlie appear back into the bedroom, with a towel wrapped around her, her long dark hair still wet and dripping little droplets of water down her back. Tightening her grip on the towel wrapped around her, Charlie met with Angelo's gaze. “Morning” Angelo said as cheerily as he could manage. Charlie managed a half-hearted smile back at him. “Charlie” Angelo said after a brief moment of silence.

“You should probably go for a shower now, you know before the kids get up and we need to get them sorted and find something for them to do today” Charlie said as she pulled at a loose thread on the towel.

“Charlie” Angelo said again, as Charlie began to walk away from him and across the room and over to her dresser. Picking up her hairdryer, she made to switch it on, but Angelo walked over to her and placed his hand on top of hers causing Charlie to lay the hairdryer back down. Charlie looked up at Angelo and sighed.

“Angelo” Charlie began, knowing what Angelo was wanting to say to her before he even said it. “I know we need to talk, but right now, we need to get ready and get the kids up and fed and so on, so can you just let me get ready” Angelo nodded lightly before removing his hand from on top of Charlie’s and walked across to the room and into their bathroom, and shut the door, almost in a slam, a little louder than he intended. Charlie sighed as she pulled out the chair to the dresser and took a seat. She rested her elbows from it before she rested her head in her hands. After sitting doing nothing for a few minutes, she looked up at herself in the mirror and exhaled. Placing her hand onto her bump she rubbed it gently. “Hey, baby, you awake? Mummy needs your help” The baby responded to Charlie’s voice, and Charlie smiled as she felt her baby daughter move inside her. “You see the thing is, Mummy doesn’t really feel happy with Daddy right now and she isn’t sure what she can do to fix things. If she is being honest she really doesn’t know how she feels about….”

“You know they say talking to yourself is the first sign of craziness” Charlie turned her head to find Ruby was standing in the doorway.

“I wasn’t talking to myself” Charlie laughed lightly as Ruby walked further into the room. “I was talking to the baby”

“Okay, so that’s just a little less weird” Ruby said as she raised her eyebrows, before taking a seat at the end of the bed.

“What so you never talked to Cal when you were pregnant?” Charlie asked and Ruby went to speak, but quickly paused.

“Okay, so talking to your baby is completely normal” Ruby said and Charlie laughed lightly. “So, do you feel like sharing, or is this a private conversation?” Ruby asked. Charlie pursed her lips together and remained quiet as she stared at her daughter. “Okay, it’s private” Ruby said “But if you feel like talking to someone who will talk back to you....” Ruby trailed off.

“I know” Charlie smiled at her daughter. “But this is something I need to sort out in my head first”

“Maybe if you talked about it you....”

“Ruby, no, don’t” Charlie said “You can’t sit there and try make me talk when you aren’t talking either”

“I did talk” Ruby said “I talked to Angelo last night”

“You talked to Angelo?” Charlie questioned and Ruby nodded.

“I did and I feel so much better for it now and I think it’s really helped me” Ruby said as she smiled, but after taking one look at Charlie the smile quickly fell from her face. “Mum, what’s wrong?”

“Nothing” Charlie forced a smile “That’s great Rubes, I’m glad you could feel you could talk to him” Charlie said quietly.

“Yeah, I can” Ruby replied “And I think you should too” Ruby stopped talking as she heard the shower go off “Well I’ll go and leave you two too it. But promise me that you will talk to Angelo because he was a great help for me and I’m sure he will be for you too” Ruby smiled as she placed her hand onto Charlie’s shoulder. Charlie nodded lightly as she bit her lip.

“I’ll talk to him” Charlie said and Ruby smiled at her mother before she stood up from the bed and walked out of the room. Charlie watched the door as it opened and look briefly at Angelo before turning around and picking up her hairdryer. Angelo looked at Charlie and sighed lightly as he watched her turn the hairdryer on and begin drying her hair. Walking over to the wardrobe he picked out some clothes before getting himself dressed, then leaving the room to allow Charlie to finish getting herself ready. After spending some time getting Ben to get himself out of bed, Angelo and the kids went down the stairs and he began to make them their breakfast.

“Daddy can we make pancakes?” Ben asked as he jumped up onto his seat at the table.

“No we can’t” Angelo answered as he opened the cupboard and took out some bowls to put the kids’ cereal in. “You had pancakes yesterday”

“I could have them again today” Ben said before grinning cheekily at Angelo. Angelo shook his head as he poured the milk into the bowls, before placing them down in front of the kids.

“Afraid not mate. It’s cereal today” Angelo said as he lightly ruffled his son’s hair. Ben scowled at Angelo before he picked up his spoon and began eating his cereal.

“You didn’t get us juice Daddy” Ben said and Angelo smiled at his son before he walked over to the cupboard and took out the kids’ cups before walking to the fridge and opening the door. “I want some milk” Ben said and Angelo nodded as he pulled out the carton of milk and poured him a glass.

“What do you want Ava?” Angelo asked as he turned around and look at his daughter who was sitting with her arms folded, the bowl of cereal having been pushed into the middle of the table. She was looking downwards and had a sad expression across her face. Angelo exhaled lightly as he closed the fridge door and walked over to the table, placing Ben’s glass of milk down in front of him before walking to where Ava was sitting and kneeling down to her level. “Av’s what’s wrong?” Angelo asked gently placing his hand on Ava’s head. Ava sat in silence as she continued to look down.

“I know. I know” Ben shouted as he held his hand up in the air. “Daddy Daddy, I know” Angelo looked up at Ben.

“Alright mate. Calm down.” Angelo laughed lightly “What is it?”

“Because Mummy was mad and shouted at her” Ben said

“She didn’t say sorry” Ava said sadly.

“Ava your Mum didn’t mean to upset you, she’s just…..”

“Well she did” Ava said sadly “She’s not being nice”

“Sweetie, Mummy is just really stressed right now” Angelo said he gently ran his hand through Ava’s hair. “She didn’t mean to.....”

“That doesn’t mean she can shout at me” Ava said as she looked up at Angelo.

“I’m sure Mummy will say sorry to you today” Angelo said as he gave his daughter a smile as he lightly ruffled her hair. Ava just looked at him in a sulk.

“She should have last night” Ava said quietly as she looked up to find Charlie walking into the kitchen. Charlie smiled at Ava but she looked away from her and back up at her Dad. “Daddy, I don’t want breakfast. I’m not hungry for it”

“If you don’t want to eat you can go get yourself washed and changed” Charlie said and Ava sat still in the chair for a minute, staring up at her mother, before eventually jumping down from the chair and running out of the room. Charlie watched the spot where Ava had just left. Charlie knew why Ava was still upset with her, and she knew she had to talk to Ava, but, Ava was just like Charlie: stubborn and won’t listen for a while.

“Mummy she wants you to say sorry” Ben said as he looked at her from his chair. “You should say it” Charlie looked down at her young son and watched him as he continued to eat his cereal.

"I will Ben, don't worry" Charlie spoke softly as she continued to watch her son.

“And you’re not mad no more?” Ben asked

Charlie lightly exhaled as she glanced briefly at Angelo. He lightly shrugged his shoulders at Charlie and she sighed lightly as she rubbed her forehead. “No, I’m not mad baby” Charlie said as she faced her son once more.

“You need to tell Ava that” Ben said before he jumped down from the seat and ran out of the room.

“I can’t believe my four year old is telling me what to do” Charlie sighed once more as she looked up at Angelo again.

“Is it worse he is telling you or that he is right?” Angelo asked

Charlie pursed her lips together as she watched Angelo pick up Ben’s dishes and walk over to the sink. “That he’s right, I guess” Charlie said and Angelo glanced at Charlie briefly before continuing to clean up the kids’ breakfast dishes. “I just.....I hate that I’ve upset her. I did try to talk to her last night, she just wouldn’t listen to me” Charlie said as she bowed her head down, almost in shame.

"Yeah, well she is a lot like you there” Angelo said “But, just like you, she will come around" Angelo said as he picked up the cereal that was supposed to be for Ava and took a mouthful for himself.

“Yeah, I guess you are right” Charlie said as she looked back up at Angelo before pulling a confused look on her face. “Since when did you start eating coco pops?” Charlie asked, seeing quiet bemused at her husband.

“Saves wasting them” Angelo said before putting another mouthful of the cereal into his mouth.

Charlie laughed lightly before walking further into the room and closer to her husband. “So Ruby tells me that she opened up to you last night, that you really helped her”

“Yeah” Angelo smiled briefly, before quickly dropping it from his face after he saw the look on Charlie’s. “Charlie, what’s wrong?” Angelo asked as he placed the bowl back down on the table and took a few steps forward before taking Charlie’s hand into his.

“I guess I should be glad she’s finally opened up” Charlie paused before pursing her lips together. “But I can’t help feel .....I feel.....it should have been me that she opened up too and not you. I mean I am her mother, why couldn’t she talk to me?” Charlie said as she felt tears forming in her eyes.

“Maybe that’s exactly why” Angelo said as he wiped away the lone tear that begun to fall down her cheek. “Sometimes it’s easier for people to open up to those who they are not as close with”

“Yeah” Charlie sniffed and she lightly nodded. “But it’s not as if she’s ever had a problem talking to me before”

“She will talk to you, when she is ready” Angelo said “She’s lost her husband and there is no way we can begin to imagine how she is feeling. I know that you want to help her, but just giving her space and letting her come to you when she is ready, it’s the best thing you can do to help her right now and maybe now she started to talk about it more it’ll be easier for her to talk about it with you now” Charlie nodded as she listened to Angelo talking and knew that he was right. Angelo smiled back at her as he gently squeezed her hand and it was then that he noticed that Charlie was longer wearing her wedding rings. His eyes widened as they both looked down to her hand. “Charlie, what....why don’t you have your rings on?”

“Because they were starting to feel too tight” Charlie said and the nervous look fell from Angelo’s face. “This seems to be growing bigger every day” Charlie moaned as she placed her hands onto her stomach “And my ankles are all swollen and I feel exhausted all the time and I just look horrible” Charlie cried as she bowed her head down.

“Hey Charlie” Angelo said as he placed his hand on her chin and gently pushed her head up so she was facing him again. “You don’t look horrible”

“No, I look worse than horrible” Charlie said “I feel like a beached whale”

“Charlie” Angelo said lightly as he cupped his hand around her cheek “You – like always – look gorgeous to me” They smiled at each other for a moment, before Angelo leaned forward and placed a soft kiss onto Charlie’s lips before pulling her into a hug. As they stood wrapped in the embrace with the bump between them, they stayed silent and Charlie held onto Angelo tightly as a tear rolled down her cheek.

“Angelo. I’m sorry, I’m so so sorry” Charlie sniffed as she griped even tighter onto Angelo.

“Charlie, you’ve got nothing to be sorry for” Angelo said as he ran his hand through her hair.

“I do” Charlie said as she pulled back from the hug and looked at Angelo. “Last night, yesterday, the day before, the day before, Angelo I’ve been awful” Charlie cried

“Is this just pregnancy stuff or is there anything you want to talk to me about?” Angelo asked

“It’s eh....I don’t know....it’s” Charlie paused as she bit her lip “Angelo, I....”

“Mummy, Mummy” Ben shouted as he ran back into the kitchen and grabbed onto Charlie’s hand and started pulling onto it. “Ava’s crying” Ben said as he looked up at his mother and spoke in a serious tone. “Under her bed, she must be sad” Charlie looked to Angelo who made a light gesture of his head telling Charlie to go and talk to her daughter.

“Go on” Angelo said “We can talk later. You should talk to Ava first” Charlie nodded lightly before giving Angelo a brief smile before leaving the room to go and talk to her daughter.

Thank you all so much for the comments. :wub: This one is a little longer than normal, and I did consider splitting it, but decided to leave it as I am away on holiday till 22nd Dec, so this will be my last update for a little while. So anyways, I hope you enjoy this one. :unsure::)

Chapter 72

“Ava” Charlie said as she walked into Ava’s bedroom and over to her bed. “Sweetie, can you come out from under there and talk to Mummy?” Charlie heard the sounds of muffled cries coming from under the bed, but no replies came from her daughter. “C’mon Ava, Mummy’s really sorry for shouting at you” Charlie said. After a few minutes of silence Ava’s head popped out from under the bed.

“Can’t you come under here?” Ava asked “You normally would”

Charlie looked down at her daughters tear stained face as she lightly shook her head. “I’m sorry sweetie, I can’t crawl under a bed right now” Ava pulled a face before she pushed herself out from under the bed and jumped up onto her bed and hid herself from Charlie by getting under the covers. “Ava” Charlie said softly as she sat down on the bed and gently rubbed her daughters back. “Ava” Charlie said again but after getting no reply she proceeded to tickle her daughter.

“Mummy don’t” Ava said through her laughter. “Mummy, no please I’m really tickly there” Ava giggled

“Oh well, I will have to keep tickling you there then” Charlie teased as she continued to tickle her daughter.

“Mummy, no” Ava shrieked before bursting into another fit of laughter. “Please stop it”

"I can't stop. Not until my daughter talks to me" Charlie laughed as she continued to tickle Ava. Ava's laugh got more and more infectious and Charlie couldn't help but laugh along with her daughter.

"Okay Mummy. I give up. I give up" Ava said with a giggle before she pushed herself up and turned around on the bed to face Charlie. Charlie smiled at her daughter as she tucked her hair behind her ear. “Mummy” Ava said shyly as she looked up at her mother. “Why do you shout lots now?”

Charlie exhaled lightly as she pulled her daughter closer to her. “Sweetie, Mummy’s just had a lot to worry about lately” Ava placed her hand onto Charlie’s stomach and rubbed it gently in a circular motion.

“Like Peanut?” Ava asked “Does she make you worry cos after the crash?” Charlie bit her lip as she placed her hand on top of Ava’s. She nodded lightly as she looked into her daughters, big, blue eyes.

“All you need to know is that Mummy didn’t mean to shout at you and she’s not going to shout at you anymore” Charlie said as she gently squeezed Ava’s hand.

“And you won’t worry anymore?” Ava asked and Charlie shook her head as she ran her hand through Ava’s hair.

“I’ll try not too” Charlie said and Ava smiled before looking shyly at her mother.

“Eh Mummy” Ava asked

“Hmm” Charlie said

“Eh well, can we still go swimming today?” Ava asked

“Yeah, of course we can” Charlie said

“But you’ll say in our pool?” Ava sighed “Why don’t you take me to the one in Yabbie Creek anymore more? Is it because of the fire that was at our old house? You got them marks on your back now” Ava said as she looked up at her mother. Charlie exhaled lightly as she pursed her lips together, not quite sure what to say back to her daughter. “Because they don’t matter Mum. It doesn’t matter if you have them marks cos you are still the prettiest. They don’t make you any different” Ava said she wiped her hand across Charlie’s cheek to remove the lone tear had rolled from her eye as she listened to her daughters words.

Charlie smiled lightly as she cupped her hand around Ava’s cheek “When did you become so smart, hmm” Charlie said as she lightly rubbed Ava’s cheek.

“I’ve always been smart” Ava grinned

“Yes you have” Charlie smiled before she pulled her daughter into a hug. She placed a kiss on her head before they sat in silence for a moment. “Hey, how about you get your swimming stuff ready. I’ll take you to the one in Yabbie Creek” Charlie said. Ava sat herself back up and looked up at her mother.

“Really, you’ll take me there?” Ava said sounding surprised and Charlie nodded as she tucked Ava’s hair behind her ear.

“Yeah, I’ll take you there” Charlie said and a huge grin appeared on Ava’s face.

“Aw thank you Mummy” Ava beamed as she jumped up off the bed and ran over to her chest of drawers and hunted out her swimming costume. Charlie watched her daughter and smiled as she saw the excitement in her face. Ava looked up at Charlie as she shut her drawer, holding her swimming costume in her hand. “Oh Mummy I’ve just had the bestest idea” Ava said as her eyes widened and she hurriedly walked back over to her mother. “We can have a sleepover” Ava said excitedly “Oh please Mum it would be so much fun. We can stay in my bed and we can watch High School Musical and we can eat junk food and play games” Ava was so excited with the idea that she was jumping up and down on the spot as she spoke. Charlie smiled at her daughter’s enthusiasm as she lightly nodded her head.

“Sure” Charlie said “Sounds like fun” Charlie put her hands onto Ava’s arms which caused her to stand still.

“Yey” Ava cheered “But it’s just me and you allowed, okay. Ben can’t come or Daddy, no boys allowed”

“Yeah, no boys allowed” Charlie said and Ava giggled.

“So can we go swimming now” Ava asked

“Sure” Charlie smiled “Just let me go get my stuff ready”

“Mum, are you ready?” Ava asked as she knocked lightly on the cubical door where Charlie was getting changed.

“I’ll just be a minute Ava” Charlie said before taking a deep breath as she looked down at the costume in her hand. Ava jumped on the spot, bubbling with excitement, as she watched the boys and girls walk through with their mums and dads in the direction of the pool. After a few minutes of waiting Charlie still hadn’t appeared of the cubical, and Ava was becoming increasingly impatient.

“Mummy?” Ava said again “What’s taking you so long?” Ava sighed as she banged her hand off the cubical door. Charlie desperately tried to stop herself from shedding a tear as she sorted the strap on her costume.

“I'm nearly ready, Ava” Charlie replied softly, worried that Ava would hear the tears that were close to breaking her voice. She took another deep breath before she picked up her bag of clothes and slowly brought her hand up to the lock on the door. Opening it slowly, she walked out of the cubical to see a smiling Ava looking up at her.

“Finally” Ava grinned “This is going to be so much fun” Charlie looked down at her daughter and smiled lightly. She would rather she wasn’t here, that she wasn’t going to have her burns showing in public, where she was certain people would stare, but looking down into her daughters face, seeing the excitement in her eyes, the huge smile she had, and thinking back to what Ava said to her that morning was giving her strength to go. “Mummy, put the bag in the locker then” Ava said as she pulled on her hand, pulling Charlie her out of her thoughts. Charlie once again smiled at Ava before walking over to the lockers and placing in their bags. After locking them away, she placed the bracelet that held the key onto her wrist, before looking down at her daughter and gently cupping her hand round her cheek.

“Ready” Charlie said and Ava nodded as she jumped in excitement. Charlie took Ava’s hand into hers as they made their way along to the pool area.

“Mummy. Can I wear that please?” Ava asked as she stopped walking and pointed to the bracelet on Charlie's wrist.

“No sorry baby. Mummy has to wear it” Charlie replied and Ava sighed lightly before she lifted Charlie’s hand up closer to her face, which was now a picture of confusion.

“Where is your pretty ring?” Ava asked as she ran her finger over Charlie’s. Charlie pulled her hand back, bringing it close to her chest and cupped her right hand over it.

"Mummy can't fit them on her finger right now. And I didn’t want to lose them so I took them off" Charlie replied

“Why can’t they fit you right now?” Ava asked with the same confused expression still present on her face.

“Sometimes when a Mummy has a baby in her tummy it can make her fingers swell so the rings are too tight so it’s best to take them off” Charlie said as she smiled down at her daughter.

“Hmm” Ava said “So you have fat fingers” Ava giggled

“Yeah” Charlie laughed “I’ve got fat fingers”

“But when the baby is born will they be normal again?” Ava asked

“Yeah” Charlie nodded “They’ll go back to normal”

“So you can wear you pretty ring again?” Ava asked

“Yeah, I’ll wear my pretty ring” Charlie laughed lightly.

“Okay” Ava smiled before they continued to walk to the pool. “Mummy, can we go to the flumes first?” Ava asked as they reached the water’s edge. Charlie exhaled lightly as she looked around the pool area. She suddenly felt even more self-conscious than she already did and felt like running back into the safety of the changing rooms, but feeling her daughters hand in hers, and knowing how much being here meant to Ava, made her stay. “Mummy” Ava said again as she tugged on Charlie’s arm. “The flumes, can I go”

“Sure” Charlie smiled as she looked down at Ava.

“Okay, I will go up to the red one and you will get me at the bottom, yeah?” Ava said excitedly and Charlie nodded.

“Yeah, sure” Charlie smiled as she watched her daughter running over to the flumes.

Charlie and Ava were walking around the supermarket doing some shopping, and Ava was making sure they had plenty of junk food for the night’s sleepover. “Oooh and we need marshmallows” Ava said as she threw a bag of them into the trolley.

“Ava, that’s enough now” Charlie said as she looked down into the trolley to find it filled with sweets, chocolate, popcorn, crisps and now the marshmallows.

“No, we just need one more thing” Ava said as she ran down the aisle and round the corner to the next one. Charlie exhaled lightly as she quickened her pace to catch up with her daughter before laughing lightly at what she saw Ava running up to her with. “Your peanut butter” Ava grinned as she put it into the trolley “We can’t forget that”

“No, we can’t” Charlie laughed

“What’s funny Mummy?” Ava asked as she looked up at her with a confused expression on her face.

“Oh nothing” Charlie said as they continued to walk up the aisles of the store.

“So can we watch all the High School Musical’s tonight?” Ava asked

“I don’t think so” Charlie said “That would take a long time”

“But Mummy, it would be good fun” Ava said

“For you maybe. But do I really want to watch all 3 movies” Charlie muttered

“What did you say Mummy?” Ava asked

“I said of course we can watch all 3 movies” Charlie said as she smiled down at her daughter.

“Oh well I don’t have the third one on DVD yet” Ava said “We’ll have to go and buy it just” Ava grinned before she ran off to the DVD section of the store.

“Oh Ava” Charlie said as she hurried after her daughter, eventually catching up with her as she had the DVD in her hand. Ava looked up at her mother and smiled angelically.

“Don’t do that face” Charlie said

“What face?” Ava asked, although she knew full well what Charlie was talking about.

“The one I can’t say no to” Charlie mumbled as Ava continued to smile up at Charlie. “Ava” Charlie sighed “Don’t you want to watch something else? How about this one” Charlie said as she picked up the Camp Rock DVD and handed it to Ava.

“Oh no” Ava said as she shook her head and put the DVD back on the shelf. “I don’t like that. I saw it on Disney channel, its not as good as High School Musical”

“Okay...what about this one?” Charlie said as she picked up another DVD.

“Princess Protection Programme” Ava read slowly as she ran her finger under the words. “Oh that’s even rubbisher” Ava said as she placed the DVD back down. “It’s this one I want Mummy” Ava picked back up the High School Musical 3 DVD and once again smiled angelically at her mother. “And it has sing along” Ava screeched. “But not for when you are watching cos you can’t sing” Ava giggled cheekily.

“Ava Sofia Rosetta” Charlie gasped “You’re supposed to say your Mummy is the best singer” Charlie teased.

“No it’s not true” Ava giggled “Ruby is the best singer”

“Well for that comment, I don’t think I will buy you that” Charlie teased and Ava’s giggle immediately turned into a frown.

“But you are the bestest at being the bestest Mummy” Ava grinned

“Cute...that’s just too cute” Charlie smiled

“What’s cute Mummy?” Ava asked

“You are” Charlie answered as she lightly pressed Ava’s nose and Ava grinned.

“So can I get the DVD?” Ava asked and Charlie nodded lightly.

“Go on then” Charlie said and Ava grinned as she threw the DVD into the trolley.

“Thank you” Ava beamed as she hugged Charlie. “We need this one too” Ava said as she picked up another DVD and threw into the trolley. Charlie exhaled lightly as she reached into the trolley and picked the second DVD out.

“Toy Story 3” Charlie said “Ava you don’t like Toy Story”

“I know, it’s for Ben. You buy one for me you have to buy one for him” Ava said as she took the DVD from Charlie and once again threw it in the trolley. “Now to find something Peanut” Ava grinned before she ran off down the aisle.

Ava burst through the door that lead into the kitchen and ran over to Angelo, who was making himself a coffee. “Hey Daddy” Ava grinned as she threw her swimming bag down onto the floor.

“Hey Ava” Angelo smiled down at his daughter as he took a few steps towards the fridge before opening it and taking out the milk. “Did you have a good day with Mummy?”

“It was brilliant” Ava beamed “She took me swimming Daddy, to the one in Yabbie Creek” Angelo smiled at his daughter as she proceeded to tell him about her day. He looked up as he saw Charlie walk into the room with some shopping bags. He rushed over and took the bags from her, before placing them down on the table. Charlie smiled lightly at Angelo and he returned the smile, before starting to unpack the shopping.

“Mummy” Ben said as he looked up from the table where he was busy drawing a picture.

“Yes Ben” Charlie asked as she looked down at her son.

“I’m not talking to you” Ben said before he picked a crayon and started to colour his picture.

“Oh” Charlie said “And why is that?”

“Because you taked Ava out for the day and left me” Ben said in a sulk

“But you got to go fishing with Daddy” Charlie said

“Oh yeah” Ben giggled

“You know what” Charlie said as she looked up at Angelo “I did buy our son a present but if he isn’t speaking to me, maybe I should find someone else to give it too”

“No Mummy, I am talking cos I...I....I am Mummy I’m talking. I’m talking” Ben shrieked “I could still get the present Mummy”

“Oh I don’t know, what do you think Daddy?” Charlie said to Angelo as she continued to tease her son.

“Well” Angelo sighed as he looked down at Ben who looked up at his parents with his big eyes.

“Don’t do those eyes Ben” Charlie said as she tried to look away from her son.

“Keep doing them Ben” Ava giggled “Then you'll get your present” Ben continued to look up at his parents as Charlie bit her lip in an attempt not to laugh at her daughters comment, but failed to stop herself and she let out a small laugh.

“So do I get my present then” Ben asked shyly and Charlie nodded lightly before she fished it out of the shopping bag and handed her son the DVD.

“Ooooh, it’s Woody and Buzz” Ben said as he looked down at the DVD. “You got me Toy Story” Ben shrieked as he jumped down from the chair and ran over to Charlie. “Thank you Mummy” Ben said as he went to give her a hug.

“Daddy, look, look, its Toy Story” Ben shouted as he ran over to him.

“Oh wow mate” Angelo said “Aren’t you a lucky boy” Angelo ruffled his son’s hair lightly.

“And look Ben. Mummy bought marshmallows” Ava said as she pulled them out of the shopping bag.

“Marshmallows” Ben squealed as he looked up at his sister.

“They’re all mines” Ava said

“No Ava you have to share” Ben sulked

“You have to get them first” Ava said before she ran out of the kitchen, the bag of marshmallows still in her hand.

“Ava” Ben shouted as he ran out after her clutching his DVD in his hand. Charlie and Angelo watched their kids and both laugh lightly, before looking back up at each other.

“So you went swimming” Angelo smiled as he looked down at Charlie who nodded nervously, for the chat she knew she was about to have. “Did it go okay?” Angelo asked tentatively.

“Once I got myself into the pool, it wasn’t bad” Charlie said “I got a few looks” Charlie bit her lip as she looked down. Angelo exhaled lightly as he took a step forward and placed his hand reassuringly on Charlie’s arm. “Maybe I was just being paranoid” Charlie said as she looked back up at Angelo “But it really did feel like people were looking”

“Charlie, I’m proud you did it” Angelo said “I know how you feel about them, I know how hard it would have been for you” Charlie smiled as she listened to Angelo. “What made you do it?”

Charlie and Angelo then looked up and out of the room to the living room where they heard Ava still teasing Ben over the marshmallows. She was standing on the couch holding them up as high as she could and Ben was trying to jump up to grab them. “Let’s just say we have a pretty smart daughter” Charlie smiled before looking back up at Angelo.

“Must take after her Dad then” Angelo grinned and Charlie laughed lightly. “Seriously” Angelo said as he put his arms around Charlie’s waist. “I’m pleased that you can feel confident enough now and hope you’ve realised these burns, they don’t...”

“I know and I have” Charlie said and Angelo smiled. “Angelo....” Charlie said tentatively as she bit her lip “We still need to talk about...”

“Daddy” Ben shouted as he ran back into the room “Tell Ava to share the marshmallows with me” Ava ran back into the room giggling.

“She’ll share them Benny don’t worry” Angelo said and Ben smiled.

“Can we get dinner now” Ava asked and Charlie nodded.

“Yep Daddy is going to make it” Charlie said as she looked up at Angelo. “C’mon kids let’s leave him to it” Angelo watched as Charlie and the kids left the kitchen and smiled, before he made a start to the dinner.

Ava was dancing around her room excitedly, waiting for Charlie to come up the stairs with the popcorn and juice, ready to begin their sleepover. Much to Ava’s annoyance Charlie had given Ben half of the marshmallows for himself and Angelo to eat, as they sat downstairs watching Ben’s new Toy Story DVD. Ava had also brought up some of the sweets they had bought to enjoy while watching the movie. Charlie walked into the room and smiled as she watched her daughter.

“Mummy it’s all ready to play” Ava said excitedly. “The first one is in just now, and then we can watch the second one and then we can watch the third one”

“I don’t think we have time to watch all three baby” Charlie said as she placed the bowl of popcorn down on Ava’s bed and the glasses of juice on her bedside table.

“Oh but we will” Ava said “And I’m not tired so will still be up for hours” Ava jumped up on the bed and slid under her covers. “Come into bed then Mum” Ava said as she patted the space beside her.

“Shift along then” Charlie said “I’m not going to fit in that tiny space you left me”

“Oh” Ava giggled “Peanut takes up lots of space” Charlie laughed at her daughter as she snuggled in beside her in the bed. She picked up the remote and pressed play. It was then when she noticed that Ava was holding the little pink rabbit in her hand that they had bought earlier, for the baby.

“Hey, Ava, I thought that was for the baby” Charlie said as she pointed to the rabbit.

“It is” Ava answered “I’m just looking after it till the baby is born” Ava grinned as she looked up at her mother. Charlie smiled at her daughter as she moved her hair from in front of her face.

“Well that’s nice of you” Charlie said and Ava nodded

“Yes, I know” Ava grinned “Now, shhh” Ava said as she placed her index finger on Charlie’s lips. “It’s starting” Charlie laughed lightly as she wrapped her arm around her daughter and Ava leaned her head against Charlie’s chest.

“Love you Mummy” Ava whispered

“Love you too baby” Charlie whispered back before placing a kiss on top of her head.

Archived