I'll Always Be Here

Guest Danni02

Thank you so much kitkat1992, mellbell86, Rach Loves H&A, carywary, ~JarlieFanEver~, callyha, charlie29, charmed60, Barbara and Sabrina for you lovely comments, they really keep me going and I love to read them. Hope you like this next part. :unsure:

Chapter 22

Rachel looked up at Angelo as she shook her head. “I’m so sor-”

“No” Angelo shouted as his eyes became red and puffy like he was about to shed a tear. “No, Rachel don’t” Angelo said before looking down at Charlie who was staring blankly at the wall in front of her. “It’s going to be okay” Angelo said as he gently placed a hand on Charlie’s head gently stoked her hair. “Rachel is going keep trying” Angelo said before looking back up at Rachel. “Aren’t you” Angelo said and Rachel bit her lip as she looked at Angelo pleading face. She exhaled lightly before gently nodding her head and continued to try to find the heartbeat for the sake of her friends. After what felt like hours but in theory was no more than a minute, Angelo let out a huge sigh of relief as he heard a faint noise but then began to feel uneasy again as he noticed the look on Rachel’s face. “Rachel? That’s it isn’t it?” Angelo asked and Rachel nodded.

“Yes, but” Rachel paused as she looked down at Charlie and saw a lone tear roll down her cheek.

“But what?” Angelo asked frantically as he tightened his grip on Charlie’s hand.

“The fetal heart rate is low” Rachel said “Very low for 9 week gestation”

“So what does this mean?” Angelo asked

“It means…” Rachel paused. She was trying to maintain a professional manner but she was finding it hard to tell people who were more than just patients to her, people who were her good friends that this was a risk of miscarriage.

“I’m going to lose this baby” Charlie said monotonously after seeing the look of worry on her friends face.

“What?” Angelo said “Rach is she right?”

“Well a low fetal heart rate this early in pregnancy does raise concern, but...”

“So what do we do? When will we know if everything is okay?” Angelo asked as he tried to stay calm in front of Rachel and Charlie.

“You go home” Rachel said as she looked down at Charlie.

“What?” Angelo shouted “You just send us home, just like that?”

“I’m sorry Angelo” Rachel said

“You’re sorry?” Angelo shouted “You expect us just to go home? You have to do something to help us Rachel”

“Angelo” Charlie shouted “Don’t shout at Rachel, it’s not her fault. It just what we have to do, if it’s going to happen it’s going to happen, we can’t stop it”

“I’m sorry Rach” Angelo sighed. “How long do we have to wait for? Angelo asked

“It’s okay, I can understand it must be frustrating for you” Rachel said “I will see you again in one week’s time and hopefully the heart rate has normalised” Rachel paused “but there is a chance it may go the other way” Rachel said sadly as she looked at her friends. Charlie nodded as she took in the news. If she was being honest with herself not even this was making her care about the baby and she couldn’t help but feel a little pleased that there was a chance she may miscarry.

“How can you look so calm?” Angelo asked

“I just...” Charlie paused and wondered if she should tell Angelo how she was really feeling or leave it until they go home and Rachel wasn’t there to hear, but her mind was made up for her when Ava burst into the room with Nurse Julie not far behind her.

“Sorry, I couldn’t keep her back much longer” Julie said as Ava ran into the room.

“Hey, Ava what’s wrong?” Angelo asked as he held his arms out for Ava to run into but she ran past him and up to where Charlie was sitting.

“I just wanted mummy” Ava said as she held onto Charlie. Angelo looked down at his daughter and once again felt saddened by her rejecting him in favour for her mother.

“It’s okay” Charlie said as she gently rubbed Ava’s back. “We are leaving now” Charlie said before she looked up and Rachel who nodded her head.

“Take it easy this next week Charlie” Rachel said “And I will see you at 2 next Monday, but if you get any spotting or bleeding, pain or cramps, I want you to come and see me earlier”

“I’ll make sure of that” Angelo said and Rachel smiled sympathetically as she nodded her head before they all left the hospital.

Charlie walked down the stairs to find Angelo sitting on the couch with his head in his hands. “Hey, what’s wrong?” Charlie asked as she took a seat next to him and put her hand on his back.

“The baby” Angelo said. “I’m so scared Charlie. How can you look so calm?” Angelo said as he looked up at her.

“Angelo, I...” Charlie paused. She knew she had to tell him how really felt about the baby but she knew it would lead to an argument and she just could face that right now. “Getting myself stressed out isn’t going to do the baby any good, is it?” Charlie improvised as she replied to her husband.

“No, I suppose not” Angelo replied. “I just, I know this baby wasn’t planned but I really want it Charlie, I really want this baby and if we lose it” Angelo trailed off as a tear rolled down his cheek. “And just when you were getting excited for it too”

“I’m not” Charlie blurted out but then immediately regretted it. Angelo looked up at her and pulled a confused face.

“What?” Angelo questioned “But you said you were after that first ultrasound. You told me that you were excited Charlie. Why did you lie?”

“Well, actually I didn’t” Charlie said

“Yes you did” Angelo shouted as he stood up from the couch.

“No I didn’t. You said I was excited, I just didn’t disagree with you” Charlie snapped

“So why let me believe that you were?” Angelo shouted

“Because you are so excited and you want this baby so much and I felt so guilty and bad that I couldn’t feel the same away and if you want me to be honest, when Rachel said she couldn’t find the heartbeat, I was glad...” Charlie paused as a tear rolled down her cheek.

“What? You actually want to lose this baby? Angelo shouted, surprised that Charlie could want such a thing.

“I can’t help how I feel Angelo. I’ve tried to feel something for it but I just can’t”

“Well if you felt that way then why did you keep the baby in the first place?” Angelo yelled

“Because I couldn’t live with myself if I had a termination. It would just tear us apart” Charlie said.

“Charlie, I wouldn’t leave you if you had a termination” Angelo said

“Angelo, you would resent me for it. I know you would and I would feel so guilty for getting rid of something you so desperately want and it would just...” Charlie trailed off “...it would end us”

“Charlie, I wouldn’t resent you...”

“Angelo, you would. You were never happy with the decision not to have any more kids in the first place”

“Charlie, we made that decision together” Angelo said

“Did we?” Charlie asked “Because the way I remember that conversation going was that I said I didn’t want anymore and that was that. You wanted more after Ben and now you have what you want, I can’t take that away from you” Charlie said

“Well I might not have what I want but I guess if you did lose this baby then you’d be happy” Angelo spat before walking away from Charlie and up the stairs before slamming the bedroom door shut.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you so much freckleface, ~JarlieFanEver~, charlie29, twinkletoesjess, callyha, Barbara, lollypop, carywary and Sabrina for your lovely comments! :) I hope you like this next part! :D

Chapter 23

Ruby walked down the path and over to where he was sitting. She gently rubbed his shoulder as she gave him a sympathetic smile. “Mum wondered where you’d got too” Ruby said as she sat down next to him.

“I just wanted time on my own” Angelo said as he kept his gaze firmly facing out towards the ocean.

“Oh, I will leave you alone then” Ruby said as she made to stand up but Angelo grabbed onto her hand and Ruby stayed still as she nodded her head. “Okay or I will stay” Ruby said and Angelo smiled at his step-daughter. “Angelo, you don’t have to tell me what’s going on but I guess this has something to do with the baby?” Ruby asked.

“What, you mean you don’t already know? I’m surprised Charlie hasn’t talked to you about it already. She talks to you about everything” Angelo said

“Well I know you’re not talking to each other apart from the odd argument and I know you slept on the couch last night, but I don’t know what’s going on. She hasn’t really spoken to anyone since coming back from the hospital” Ruby said and Angelo nodded his head. “Oh and I know you are going back in this afternoon, but I don’t know what for”

“The baby’s heart rate was really low and Rachel said that could mean miscarriage” Angelo spoke sadly as he looked up at Ruby.

“Oh gosh” Ruby as she covered her hand with her mouth. “Angelo I’m sorry” Ruby said. “Why didn’t she say anything?”

“Probably because she wants it to happen” Angelo retorted.

“What? No way” Ruby said “I mean I know that she isn’t fully excited about this baby yet, but I’m sure she’d have been getting there”

“No” Angelo shook his head. “She told me….” Angelo paused as he tried to fight back a tear that was desperate to escape him. “She said she wanted to lose this baby Ruby” Angelo spoke as the tear fell down his cheek as he was unable to hold in it any longer.

“No” Ruby said “I don’t believe that. Are you sure that’s what she said?”

“Yes Ruby, she said that” Angelo said “She told me last week when we got home from the hospital that she doesn’t want it”

“Oh God, I’m sorry Angelo, I don’t know what to say”

“What can you say?” Angelo spat “She doesn’t want the baby and I do. How do we get passed that? How do we decide what to do? Someone is going to have to give” Angelo said

“Isn’t mum already doing that?” Ruby questioned. “She could easily go and have a termination but she is keeping it Angelo. She’s keeping the baby because she loves you so much and she just couldn’t do that to you”

“I don’t want that to be the only reason why she is keeping the baby. I want her to want it Ruby. What happens once the baby is born? Is she going to love it? Is she going to be able bond with it? Is she going to push herself away from me and not tell me how she really feels because let’s face it, she has a habit of doing that”

“I don’t know” Ruby shrugged her shoulders. “It would be nice to think that once this baby is born then she will forget about all those feeling’s she had and will instantly love it but I think deep down that she does care about this baby and she will get there, she will feel excited in time” Ruby said

“Really Ruby? Because she just said she wanted to lose it. That doesn’t sound to me like she has any feeling’s at all for it” Angelo sighed “Oh God Ruby, I couldn’t handle it if she lost it”

“You’d probably know if she’d lost it by now. And she has been so sick this week, so that’s a good sign that the baby is okay although it’s horrible for mum” Ruby said and Angelo nodded before sighing heavily and silence hit them.

“Ruby...” Angelo paused before looking away from her.

“What is it?” Ruby asked

“Am I a good father?” Angelo spoke quickly as he looked back round at her.

“Yes, of course you are” Ruby said “What’s making you doubt that?” Ruby asked

“Ava” Angelo said sadly “Lately she always just wants Charlie, its like back when I first got out of prison all over again. I worked so hard to build up a relationship with her and now for some reason she’s gone back to not wanting to know me”

“Angelo, I wouldn’t look too much into it. It was only a week ago she was held hostage by James and saw a gun pointed in her mum’s face. It’s probably just because of what happened, she just wants comforted” Ruby said

“But I can do that” Angelo said “Why doesn’t she like me to help her?”

“Angelo, when I was a kid I always went to my mum, well I guess she was my grandma, but anyways I always went to her when I was sick or upset and if she wasn’t there then I would go to Charlie before I would go to my dad. It’s just a mum thing, I think” Ruby said and Angelo sighed.

“But Ruby-”

“Hey Angelo we need to go for our appointment” Charlie said as she walked up behind him.

“Oh, it’s that time already” Angelo said “It was just after 10 when I left the house” Angelo said as he rose to his feet.

“Yeah well, you’ve been gone a while” Charlie said “So are you coming because we are going to be late”

“Yeah of course I am” Angelo said “Thanks Rubes” Angelo smiled at his step-daughter before pulling her into a hug.

“It’s okay” Ruby smiled “I hope everything goes okay at the hospital” Ruby said and Angelo smiled before walking with Charlie back to her car to go to the hospital.

“So, Charlie how have you felt this week?” Rachel asked as she led them into the room.

“Oh great” Charlie replied sarcastically “I’ve been sick every day, I cry all the time for no reason and I’ve had some of the worst headaches ever. It's a ball” Charlie said and Rachel bit her lip as she looked up at Angelo. “Right well if you want to get yourself comfortable and we’ll see if the baby’s okay” Rachel said. Charlie lay herself on the bed and Angelo went to take her hand but Charlie pulled it away. Angelo sighed lightly as Rachel gave him an empathetic smile.

“Okay” Rachel smiled as she found a good strong heart beat. “Everything looks fine. Heart beat is good and strong” Rachel said as she looked up at Angelo who had a huge grin on his face. As Charlie heard the baby’s heart beat she felt a smile forming on her face.

“Wow” Angelo breathed out a sigh of relief. “That’s great” He smiled as he walked forward and wrapped his arms around Rachel briefly before walking over to Charlie. He bent and took her hand into his and rubbed it gently. “Charlie, what do you-”

“It’s good” Charlie smiled “I am glad it’s okay” Charlie said and Angelo gave her a quizzical look before a smile appeared on his face. She was telling the truth. He could tell she was. He smiled at her once more before placing a kiss on her forehead.

Thank you so much Jess, Barbara, Sarah, charlie29, cally, Sabrina, carywary, mellbell86 and Laura158 for your lovely comments! :D I hope you like this one....I'm not sure.. :unsure:

Chapter 24

Charlie exhaled lightly as she put the baby clothes down on the kitchen table. “I bought them as soon as we found out” Angelo grinned “But then with the way you felt and then the fact we could have lost it, I thought I should wait a bit before I showed you them” Angelo said as he looked down at the baby grows that Charlie has placed on the table. “But now we are both on the same level I thought….”

“Wait, what do you mean the same level? Angelo, we are not on the same level” Charlie said

“What?” Angelo pulled a confused face “But you said you were, you said Charlie” Angelo shouted as he threw his arms to the side.

“Said what exactly Angelo” Charlie shouted

“You said in the hospital you were excited” Angelo yelled

“No, I didn’t” Charlie said

“Yes” Angelo said “You said you were glad the baby is okay”

“Okay, so what part of I am glad the baby is okay means I am excited?” Charlie asked and Angelo shrugged his shoulders and he let out a sigh. “Angelo, when I said I was glad the baby was okay, it was more for your sake. If I’d lost this baby you would be devastated”

“So you’re still not excited? Do you feel anything at all for it? Did almost loosing it have any effect on you at all?” Angelo spat and Charlie stared down at the floor and she slowly shook her head.

“Right” Angelo said he nodded his head “I get it don’t worry”

“I do feel better about it” Charlie said as she looked back up at Angelo and a lone tear rolled down her cheek. “But I have to go through so much more than you to have this baby, so it’s easier for you to accept this baby so quickly”

“I know, and I’m sorry for that but Charlie there’s nothing I can do to change that” Angelo said

“And it just gets in the way of my plans” Charlie said

“What plans?” Angelo asked

“Well I was thinking since Ben started nursery and Ruby sorted herself out so was able to care for Callum that I could start working again” Charlie said

“So why didn’t you speak to me about this?” Angelo asked

“I was about too, but then I found out you knocked me up so there was no point” Charlie spat.

“Charlie if you want to go back to work then go” Angelo said

“What’s the point Angelo? I’d have to take maternity leave after only a few months of being back and I don’t think you’d be pleased if I went out there when I’m carrying your child” Charlie said “I have to sacrifice so much to have this child and what thanks do I get from you? Nothing” Charlie shouted “All you do is complain that I’m not excited for it”

“You know what Charlie, I’m so sick of all this” Angelo yelled before walking out of the house and slamming the door shut. Charlie banged her fists off the kitchen table as the tears rolled down her cheeks.

“Why are you crying mummy?” Ava asked as she ran into the kitchen.

“Because of the baby” Charlie said “Sometimes being pregnant makes you cry” Charlie told her daughter and Ava pulled a rather confused looking face.

“Okay” Ava finally spoke. “Are they sad tears?”

“They’re just tears Ava” Charlie said and Ava nodded before running forward and wrapping her arms around Charlie’s waist and giving her a hug. Charlie smiled as she ran her hands through her daughter’s long dark hair.

“Can I get a hug too mummy?” Ben shouted as he ran into the kitchen and Charlie nodded as she parted from her daughter and lifted her young son into her arms. He wrapped his arms around her neck and placed a kiss on her lips before leaning into hug. Charlie wrapped her arms around her son and held him tightly.

Angelo walked into Noah’s and ordered himself a beer. He looked around the bar and sighed as he didn’t recognise the other two customers who were sitting at the other side of the room. He picked up his beer and walked over to a table and took a seat. As he took a drink of his beer he noticed a woman walking up to him and sitting herself down at the table. “You look like you could do with some company” She said

“No thanks” Angelo said as he stood up and moved across to another table. The woman quickly followed and once again sat next to Angelo.

“Really, you look like you could do with the company” She said and Angelo sighed.

“Fine sit there” Angelo said and the woman smiled.

“Gosh, I’m dry” The woman said and Angelo pulled a face at her.

“Bar is over there” Angelo said as he pointed across the room.

“So I see. Large white wine” The woman smiled. “Please” she added with a smirk. Angelo sighed as he stood up and walked over to the bar and bought the lady a wine.

“Here” Angelo said as he slammed the glass down on the table.

“So what’s wrong with your face?” The woman asked before taking a drink of the wine.

“Nothing” Angelo mumbled

“Something is bothering you” She said “Talk to me”

Angelo looked up at her and sighed. “Where do I start?”

“That bad is it?” She said and Angelo nodded “But you’re not going to talk about it?” She asked and Angelo shook his head. “Well you need to loosen up so let’s get out of here” She said “This place is dead and so not fun. Let’s go to a club in the city”

“Eh no thanks” Angelo said as he made to stand up.

“Aw c’mon it will be fun” She said “Half an hour and if you’re not having fun then you can go home” She said and Angelo looked at her before nodding slightly.

Charlie sighed as the phone rang through to voicemail once more. She looked down at the time on her phone, it read 1.43am. She sighed once more before she heard screams coming from her bedroom. She ran back a long the hall and over to the bed and to her young daughter. “Hey Ava, I’m here” Charlie said as wrapped her arms around her daughter and held her as she cried.

“You left me” Ava spoke through the tears.

“Sorry sweetie, I was only gone a minute” Charlie said and she gently stroked her daughter’s hair.

“No I woke up and you were gone. You promised you wouldn’t leave me” Ava said

“I just went outside for a minute sweetie” Charlie said again

“But he might have got me” Ava cried

“Hey, sweetie, he is never coming back. He was caught and locked away. Remember daddy telling you” Charlie said as she moved her daughter’s hair from in front of her face.

Ava nodded her head as Charlie wiped the tears from her face. “But if he’s came back before he might again”

“Baby I promise he is never going to get you again” Charlie said and Ava looked up at Charlie with her tear stained face and nodded her head.

“Okay” Ava said “But I still want to sleep in your bed with just you mummy” Ava said and Charlie nodded her head.

“Okay sweetie” Charlie said before lying down beside her daughter and wrapping her arms around her and holding her until she fell asleep.

Thank you so much, everyone, for you amazing comments. They make me smile loads! :D I hope you all like this next one.

Chapter 25

Angelo walked up to the bar and bought another round of drinks before walking back to the table and sitting back down next to her. “So where were we?” The woman asked before picking up her glass and taking a drink.

“I don’t remember” Angelo slurred before he too took a drink. He picked his phone out of his pocket as he felt it vibrate and sighed as he read Charlie’s name flashing across the screen.

“You can’t ignore her all night” The woman said and Angelo nodded.

“I can” Angelo said “I’ve got nothing left to stay” Angelo said as he put his phone down on the table. The woman picked up his phone and looked down at the screen to find a picture of Ava and Ben as his wallpaper.

“Those your kids?” The woman asked and Angelo nodded.

“Yup kids” Angelo said “That’s what I want, but Charlie, she doesn’t want it” Angelo said “She has a baby but she doesn’t want it and I do” Angelo said before taking the phone from the woman’s hand. “Ben and Ava” Angelo smiled. “They are great. Charlie has Ruby too. She’s like a daughter to me. She is my daughter” Angelo said and the woman smiled.

“Sounds like a nice family you have there” the woman said and Angelo nodded his head.

“It was. But now, Charlie and me, we argue all the time. We’re not happy” Angelo said

“Well maybe I could cheer you up” The woman smiled as she ran her hand up Angelo’s leg.

“I’m married” Angelo said as he pushed her hand away.

“Not happily, you just said” the woman said and Angelo nodded.

“You want another drink?” The woman asked as she drank the last of her wine.

“Yeah why not” Angelo nodded and the woman smiled before standing up and making her way to the bar.

Charlie sighed as she made her way out of the bathroom and along the hall into the kids’ bedroom. Ruby was in the room dressing Callum and Ben was still asleep. “Hey mum, are you okay?” Ruby asked as she looked up at her mother.

“Yeah, fine” Charlie replied as she gently rubbed her forehead.

“Really? I’m kind of worried for you” Ruby said as she fastened the last button on Callum’s dungarees before lifting him into her arms. “You’ve been really sick mum” Ruby said and Charlie sighed.

“I’m pretty sure I’m fine” Charlie said “Besides; I have more important things to worry about right now than my morning sickness” Charlie sighed as she sat down on the edge of the bed. “Like my husband not coming home last night” Ruby smiled sympathetically at her mother and she walked across the room and sat down next to her. Using one arm to balance her son on her knee, she put her other hand on Charlie’s shoulder and rubbed it gently.

“I’m sure he will be fine” Ruby said and Charlie looked down at her daughter as she pulled a face.

“I’m sure he will be fine too” Charlie said “I’m more worried about where he spent the night”

“Maybe he met the guys and crashed out at one of their places” Ruby said

“Except I’ve phoned them all and they’ve not seen him” Charlie said

“Oh” Ruby said

“Yes, oh” Charlie said before placing her head in her hands and sighing.

“Mum, I don’t think….” Ruby began to speak but was cut off when Ava ran into the room.

“Mummy mummy the pancakes are ready” Ava shouted as she ran into the bedroom. Charlie looked up at her young daughter and desperately tried to stop the tears that were about to fall down her face.

“Great, I’m starving” Charlie smiled as she pulled her daughter closer to her and wrapped her arms around her waist.

“Mummy you look sad” Ava said

“I’m okay” Charlie forced a smile. “You go eat your pancakes and I’ll get Ben up” Charlie said and Ava nodded as she looked down at her younger brother who was still asleep in his bed.

“He’s a lazy bones” Ava said causing Charlie and Ruby to laugh before she ran out of the room.

Charlie sighed as she stood up and walked over to Ben. “C’mon sleepyhead” Charlie said as she gently shook her son’s shoulder. “Time to get up” Charlie said but Ben didn’t even move. “Benny” Charlie said as she shook him again. Ben let out a little groan before throwing his arm out to the side. “Time to wake up sweetie” Charlie said as she once again shook his shoulder. Ben opened his eyes before he brought his hands up to them and rubbed them before he stretched.

“Why did you wake me mummy” Ben said sleepily as he looked up at her.

“Because it’s time to get up” Charlie said as she ran her hand through her son’s hair. “Granny made pancakes for breakfast”

“Granny said I could help her” Ben said and he sat up in the bed. “Why didn’t she wait?”

“You wouldn’t get up for her” Charlie said and Ben scowled.

“But I wanted to make them” Ben shouted before a tear fell down his face.

“You can help granny next time” Charlie said as she lifted her son out of his bed and wiped the tear from his face.

“Okay” Ben smiled “Can I still eat them now?” Ben asked and Charlie let out a small laugh before nodding her head.

“Of course you can baby” Charlie said and Ben smiled.

“Yey” Ben beamed before he kissed Charlie’s cheek. “Love you mummy” Ben smiled.

“Love you too” Charlie smiled before putting Ben down and watched as he ran out of the room to get his breakfast. Charlie placed her hand on her stomach and rubbed it gently and sighed.

“You alright?” Ruby asked and Charlie stopped what she was doing and looked up at her daughter.

“Fine” Charlie forced a smiled “Let’s go and get some breakfast” Charlie said before walking out of the room and Ruby sighed as she stood up and followed her out.

Angelo opened his eyes and took in his surroundings. This wasn’t Morag’s house he thought to himself as he pushed himself up in the bed. He put his hand up to his head and rubbed it as it throbbed. He slowly turned his head in the bed but was slightly puzzled to find it was empty. He jumped up out of the bed and looked around the room for his clothes. He found his jeans and flung them on before he walked along the hall and found a woman standing the kitchen. “Oh you’re finally awake” The woman said as she noticed Angelo approaching her.

“You’re wearing my t-shirt” Angelo said

“Am I?" The woman laughed as she looked down at it.

“Can I have it” Angelo said and the lady shook her head.

“I like it” She smiled as she walked over to him and wrapped her arms around his waist. She stood on her tiptoes and planted a kiss on his lips.

“Stop” Angelo said “Last night was a mistake. It should never have happened”

“I didn’t hear you complaining last night. Seemed like you enjoyed it to me” She smirked

“It was a mistake” Angelo said as he pushed her back. “Now can I have my shirt back” Angelo said and the woman sighed before nodding her head.

“You know I have nothing on underneath” She said and Angelo shook his head.

“I don’t care, just give me my t-shirt so I can leave” Angelo said

“Don’t you want to stay for breakfast?” The woman smiled

“Not really” Angelo said and the woman sighed.

“Very well. Here you go” The woman said as she took his top of and handed it him. Angelo took it from her and turned and walked to the front door slipping his shoes on as he tried to put his t-shirt on at the same time. He fell back slightly and the woman ran forward and held him up.

“Don’t” Angelo said as she shrugged her off and went to open the front door.

“Say hello to your wife for me” the woman laughed as Angelo slammed the front door shut, ignoring her comment. He walked along the road and a tear rolled down his cheek as it just hit him about what he had just done.

Thank you so much Jess, Charis, Sarah and charlie29 for your lovely comments. :D

Chapter 26

“Ah Ava no” Ruby sighed as she looked down at the DVD Ava had in her hand.

“Yeah” Ava smiled “it’s the best one and you said I could pick anyone I wanted”

“But you have watched it like 6 times over the past few days” Ruby sighed.

“Well it’s my favourite. Please Ruby, put it on for me” Ava said and Ruby sighed before taking the DVD from her sister and walking over to the TV to put it on for her.

“And it’s only week 1 of the school holidays” Ruby mumbled as she took the DVD from the box.

“What you putting on?” Ben shouted as he ran into the living room and jumped up onto the couch.

“High School Musical” Ava said excitedly as she jumped up and down in the spot.

“Oh that’s rubbish” Ben sighed as he folded his arms.

“Is not” Ava shouted as she stomped her foot her off the ground. “It’s the bestest ever film ever” Ava said before running across to the couch getting herself comfy to watch it. Charlie walked down the stairs and joined her kids in the living room.

“He alright?” Ruby asked as she looked up at her mother.

“Fine” Charlie smiled “Sound asleep” Charlie said and Ruby smiled.

“So you not heard from Angelo yet?” Ruby said as Charlie shook her head as he looked down at the floor.

“No, I haven’t” Charlie spoke quietly.

“Mummy, Ruby, shhh” Ava said as she held her index finger to her lips. “I’m trying to watch this” Ava said before the front door opened and Angelo walked into the house.

“Daddy” Ben shouted as he jumped down from the couch and ran into Angelo’s arms.

“Hey little man” Angelo said as he lifted his son up.

“We had pancakes for breakfast” Ben said “They were yummy”

“And you didn’t leave any for daddy?” Angelo said

“No, I ate them all” Ben laughed before wriggling in his dad’s arm and Angelo put his young son down and he ran off across the room. Charlie looked up at Angelo and they shared a quick glance before Charlie looked away again.

“Hey, why don’t I take you two out for some ice-cream?” Ruby said and Ben eyes lit up and he ran over to Charlie.

“Can I mummy” Ben asked and Charlie nodded her head.

“Yeah of course you can” Charlie smiled and Ben let out a little squeal before running towards the door.

“C’mon Ruby lets go” Ben said excitedly. Ruby stood up from the chair and grabbed her purse from the table before she walked over to the door.

“C’mon Ava” Ruby said and she looked round at her little sister.

“No, I’m staying. I am watching this” Ava replied as she kept her gaze firmly on the TV.

“Ava” Ruby said “You can watch that later. We are going for ice-cream”

Ava sighed as she reluctantly stood up and she hit the pause button on the remote before she walked over to the door. “Quickly then” Ava said as she opened the door and walked out of the house. Charlie looked up at Ruby and smiled lightly at her and Ruby gave a gently nod of her head before briefly glancing up at Angelo before leaving the house. The house fell silent and Charlie stayed sitting on the couch not making eye contact with Angelo. After standing still in silence for a few minutes Angelo took a deep breath before he walked over to the couch and sat down next to Charlie.

“Charlie, about last night, the argument before I left, I ….”

“I don’t want to talk about that” Charlie interrupted “I want to know where you were last night and I want the truth Angelo” Charlie said as she made eye contact with him.

“I went to the Surf Club and I ran into Miles and we had a bit too much to drink and I ended up crashing out at his place” Angelo said as he tried his best to make that sound believable.

“I said the truth” Charlie said as she felt tear’s forming in eyes as she realised Angelo had just told her a lie.

“Charlie, I swear on….”

“No” Charlie yelled “Don’t you dare swear on anything Angelo” Charlie spat as she stood up from the couch and took a few steps away from him. “I know you didn’t stay with Miles or any of the guys because I called them all this morning, and guess what? None of them had seen you. So, I will ask you again, where were you?” Charlie yelled. Angelo looked up at her with a sorry expression on his face. He took a deep breath before he told her.

“I started talking to this woman in the Surf Club and then we went into a few clubs in the city…” Angelo paused as he broke eye contact with Charlie.

“You were with another woman?” Charlie asked and Angelo nodded in response. “And what exactly happened with this woman?” Charlie asked and Angelo sat in silence unable to look up at his wife or to answer her question. The silence was enough for Charlie to understand the truth. “Oh God” Charlie said as she brought her hand up to her mouth a tear rolled down her cheek.

“Charlie I am so so sorry. Believe me, it will never happen again” Angelo spoke as he stood up from the couch and took a few steps forward and tried to take hold of Charlie’s arms.

“Don’t touch me” Charlie yelled as pushed her hands out and took a few steps back. “What was….what’s her name?” Charlie asked

“Charlie, do you really need to know?” Angelo asked

“What was her name?” Charlie yelled

Angelo looked up at his wife as he slowly shook his head. “Sarah…..Sandra…..Susan…..” Angelo paused “…I don’t….”

“Oh my God Angelo” Charlie yelled. “You can’t even remember her name”

“Doesn’t that show how little it meant to me?” Angelo asked

“No” Charlie yelled “How can you sleep with someone and not even know their name”

“I’m sorry Charlie, I’m so sorry” Angelo cried

“Stop saying that” Charlie shouted “It doesn’t change anything. You can be sorry all you want but what does it change. You slept with someone else Angelo, you can’t take that back” Charlie yelled before she walked across the room and took a seat on the chair. She put her head in her hands and cried. Angelo walked across to her and put his arm around her and attempted to pull her into a hug but Charlie shrugged him off. “I said don’t touch me” Charlie yelled as she stood up from the seat and walked away from him. “How could you do this to me Angelo? It was only a few months ago you told me that you could never do that to me” Charlie questioned as she looked up at him.

“Well a lot has changed since then for a start” Angelo said “We do nothing but argue now Charlie”

“Oh so that makes it alright to cheat on your wife” Charlie spat “Your pregnant wife” She added. “I kept this baby for you and then you repay me by sleeping with someone else” Charlie yelled

“Charlie it was a horrible mistake. It meant nothing to me. We can work through this I know we can” Angelo said as a tear fell down his cheek.

“No” Charlie said as she shook her head. “I want you to leave this house” Charlie said through the tears.

“No Charlie” Angelo cried “Please don’t throw away what we have over one stupid mistake” As Angelo spoke his tears became heavier.

“You’re the one that’s done that” Charlie said “I need some space Angelo. I need time to think about things and....” Charlie paused as she heard the sounds of Callum crying from the baby monitor. She looked up slightly before exhaling lightly.

“Charlie please don’t do this” Angelo begged “We can work this out together, here” Angelo said and Charlie shook her head as the tears continued to roll down her cheeks.

“I’m going to go check on my grandson and by the time I come back down I want you gone” Charlie said before she walked across the room and ran up the stairs and out of sight. Angelo walked across the room and picked up a picture from the shelf. It was a picture of Charlie, Ava, Ben and himself taken on a family trip the summer before. A tear rolled down his cheek as he looked his family, his family that he had ruined.

Thank you so much Charis, Jess, Sarah, Laura158, Cally, Laura and Rach Loves H&A for the lovely comments. They make me smile and they really keep me going! I hope you all like this next part.

Chapter 27

“Leah, Ruby is buying us ice-cream” Ben beamed as he jumped up on the chair in the Diner.

“Well that’s very nice of her” Leah smiled and Ben nodded his head.

“Not is not” Ava said “She only said it to get us out the house because mummy and daddy are going to argue again” Ava said and Leah shot a look at Ruby.

“That’s not true Ava” Ruby said “I just wanted to treat you to an ice-cream”

“Yes, it is. I’m not stupid Ruby” Ava shouted as she threw the menu down on the table. “They shouted last night and daddy left and now he is home they are going to shout again” Ava said as she looked up at Leah. “It’s all they ever do now”

Ruby looked up at Leah “They’re just...”

“Hey, Ruby, it’s okay, you don’t have to explain anything to me. It’s not my business” Leah said and Ruby smiled as she nodded her head. “But if Ava is starting to notice things....”

“Yeah, I know” Ruby said “I’ll...”

“Eh Leah” Ben interrupted “Where’s my ice-cream?”

“What kind would you like Ben?” Leah laughed

“Chocolate, with chocolate sauce and a wafer” Ben smiled and Ruby stared down at him. “Please” he added as he noticed his sister glaring at him.

“Okay” Leah smiled “And what about you Ava? What would you like?” Leah asked as she looked down at the young girl.

“Strawberry, with strawberry sauce and sprinkles please Leah” Ava said and Leah nodded before looking up at Ruby.

“Banana milkshake for me please Leah” Ruby said and Leah wrote the order down on her pad before walking away to the kitchen and returning minutes later with the ice-creams for the kids.

“Chocolate for Ben and Strawberry for Ava” Leah smiled as she put the bowls down on the table.

“Leah, you forgot Ruby’s milkshake” Ben said before shoving a big spoonful of the ice-cream in his mouth.

“I’m going to get it now Ben” Leah laughed as she walked away from the table.

“Oh hi” the voice said and Ruby turned her head to see the man standing there smiling down at her.

“Hey” Ruby smiled as she recognised the man as the one she had the conversation with on the beach a few weeks before hand, but hadn’t seen around town since.

“So, how are you doing these days?” he asked

“Yeah, good thanks, you?” Ruby asked

“I’m good” The man smiled and was about to talk again when his phone rang. “Sorry, I better get this, see you around” he smiled and Ruby nodded as she watched the man walking away as he answered his phone.

“And one milkshake” Leah said as she returned to the table.

“Thanks, Leah” Ruby smiled and Leah smiled back at her before starting to walk away. “Leah” Ruby shouted and Leah turned back around and looked down at her.

“Yes?” Leah asked

“That guy at the door there, do you know who he is?” Ruby asked and Leah looked up at the door and nodded lightly before looking back round at Ruby.

“I know his name is Jay and that’s about it” Leah said “Why?”

“Oh just wondered” Ruby smiled as she looked up at him once more.

“I thought I told you to leave” Charlie said as she walked out of the kids’ bedroom to find Angelo walking along the hall.

“Well I was just going to get some clothes” Angelo said sadly. “But Charlie please, I….”

“Just get your stuff and go” Charlie said and Angelo sighed.

“Charlie please reconsider this. Think about the kids” Angelo pleaded

“Think about the kids?” Charlie questioned “I think you were the one who needed to be doing that because you know you haven’t just cheated me Angelo”

“I know” Angelo said as he bowed his head in shame. “But Charlie please, I will....”

“Angelo, just pack some things and leave” Charlie said and Angelo exhaled lightly before walking down the hall and into the bedroom. He pulled a bag out of the bottom of the wardrobe and started to pack some clothes.

“No” Angelo said as he stopped what he was doing and turned to face Charlie who was standing in the doorway watching. “I’m not leaving that easily”

“Angelo please don’t make this harder than it already is. I’m hurt and angry and I just time and space away from you right now”

“But Charlie if we just spoke more….”

“No” Charlie yelled “Angelo please go”

“But Charlie….”

“Angelo, please” Charlie shouted as a tear rolled down her cheek. Angelo sighed as he picked up the bag of clothes he has packed away and flung it round his shoulder. He walked across the room and stopped in front of Charlie and cupped his hand around her cheek. Charlie flinched back slightly, but Angelo kept his hand in place.

“I love you so much. I’m so sorry” Angelo said before standing still for a moment staring deep into Charlie’s eyes. Charlie stepped back and bowed her head down and Angelo took a deep breath before he walked down the stairs and out the front door. Upon hearing the door slam Charlie leaned herself against the wall and slid herself down it so she was sitting on the floor. A tear rolled down her cheek as she couldn’t stop thinking about Angelo and the other woman. She didn’t even move when she heard the front door opening or heard the sounds of footsteps on the stairs. She just sat there as the tears continued to fall down her face.

“Charlie, what wrong?” Morag asked “I just saw Angelo walking away and he looked upset, what’s happened?” Morag said as she sat down next to Charlie. Once again Charlie didn’t even look up. She just sat there staring blankly at the floor. “Charlie?” Morag said as she placed her arm around Charlie and gently rubbed her arm. Charlie fell into Morag as her tears became heavier. She didn’t speak and Morag decided not to press the issue any further. Charlie would talk when she was ready too. She placed her other arm around Charlie and held her as she let her cry. After sitting for about 5 minutes Morag heard people coming into the house. She heard the voices of Ava and Ben and then she heard footsteps on the stairs.

“What’s wrong with mummy?” Ben asked as he ran over to the spot where they were sitting and put his hand on her shoulder and rubbed it gently. “It’s okay mummy, don’t cry” Ben said and Charlie sat up as she freed herself from Morag’s grasp and wiped away the tears from her face. She pulled her son closer to her and gave him a hug.

“What we doing up here?” Ava asked as she ran up the stairs with Ruby close behind her.

“Mum?” Ruby said “What’s happened?” Ruby asked as she walked over to her mother and kneeled down beside her. Charlie just sat there still embraced in the hug with her son and didn’t talk. Ruby looked up quizzically at Morag.

“I don’t know” Morag said as she shrugged her shoulders. “She won’t talk to me”

Ruby looked back down at Charlie and gently placed her hand on her shoulder. “Hey guys do you want to go watch the rest of High School Musical?” Ruby said and Ava nodded.

“I do” Ava shouted before she turned round and ran down the stairs.

“No. I don’t like it” Ben shook his head as he pulled away from Charlie. “Where did daddy go?” Ben asked “I want to play soccer”

“C’mon Ben, we will find something to do” Morag said as she stood up and took Ben into her arms and walked down the stairs leaving Ruby to try to get something out of Charlie.

“Mum” Ruby said she rubbed her arm. “What’s happened? Where is Angelo?”

“It’s over. I threw him out” Charlie finally spoke but she didn’t make any eye contact with Ruby.

“What?” Ruby shouted as she was surprised at what she had heard. “What do mean it’s over?” Ruby asked

“Us” Charlie said “Angelo and I, we’re finished” Charlie spoke as she wiped the tears from her face.

“Woah mum, why? What’s happened?” Ruby asked

“He...” Charlie paused “....he slept with someone else” As Charlie spoke Ruby’s mouth opened in shock.

“Oh my...” Ruby stopped talking, shocked at what Charlie has just told her. She never would have expected that from Angelo. “How could he do that to you” Ruby said with anger very much present in her voice.

“It’s all my fault” Charlie cried

“Hey, don’t you dare” Ruby said “There is only one person to blame here and it is not you” Ruby spat “He’s the once that’s made the mistake and now he has to live with the consequences”

“I don’t want it to be over” Charlie cried “Oh God Ruby, have I done the right thing?” Charlie asked as she looked up at her daughter and waited for a response, for an answer.

“Honestly?” Ruby said “I think so. You don’t deserve this” Ruby said and Charlie nodded lightly.”He’s such a bast-”

“Ruby” Charlie interrupted

“Well he is. How could he do this to you and to Ben and Ava and you’re pregnant” Ruby said “It’s just...” Ruby paused unable to find the words.

“Ruby” Charlie cried and Ruby exhaled lightly before tightening the grip she had on her mother.

“Yes, I think you’ve done the right thing. You’re hurting and you need space right now. You need time to take this in and to find a way to forgive him and work past this, if that’s what you want” Ruby said and Charlie shrugged her shoulders.

“I love him” Charlie said “But I hate him so much right now. I don’t want to say we are over but I don’t know how I am going to be able to forgive him. And my trust” Charlie said “He’s lost it and its going to be hard from him to gain that back”

“Well he is going to have to work pretty damn hard to prove himself” Ruby said, again with anger very much present in her tone.

“The kids” Charlie said “What am I supposed to tell them about where there dad is?”

“I don’t know” Ruby said “I think you both need to sit them down and explain that dad isn’t going to be living here anymore”

“I don’t want to see him right now let alone speak to him” Charlie said and Ruby exhaled lightly.

“I know you don’t” Ruby said “But for the sake of the kids, I think you have too” Ruby said

“No, I can’t” Charlie said “I will tell them something”

“Okay” Ruby sighed. There was no point in arguing with Charlie, especially right now when she needed support.

Charlie stood up from the spot where she had been sitting and once again wiped her face. “I guess I need to go see them” She said and Ruby stood up and took Charlie’s hand in hers. She stared up at her mother for a moment before wrapping her arms around her. Charlie smiled as she embraced the hug from her eldest daughter, a hug that she so desperately needed.

Thank you so much, Jess, Laura158, xXxTEMPZxXx, Sarah, Cally, charlie29, Barbara, Charis and Chester-Sam for your lovely comments. I appreciate them loads! :D

Chapter 28

“So, do you understand what I am saying?” Charlie asked as she looked down at her two young children who were staring back up at her with blank expressions on their faces.

“Not really” Ben said “Do I still get to see daddy?” Ben asked

“Yes, of course” Charlie said and Ben smiled.

“Okay, can I go and play now?” Ben asked and Charlie nodded as she ruffled his hair lightly.

“Sure” Charlie smiled as she watched her young son run across the room to the toy box that was sitting in the corner. “Ava?” Charlie said “Do you understand?”

“You promised” Ava shouted before standing up and running up the stairs, slamming the bedroom door shut. Charlie exhaled lightly as she stood up from the chair and made her way up the stairs. She opened the bedroom door to find Ava was hiding under the bed covers.

“Ava” Charlie said as she threw the covers back and sat down on the bed next to her daughter. “Sweetie” Charlie said as she gently rubbed her daughters back.

“No” Ava said as she shrugged Charlie away. “You promised me and you broke it”

“Promised what?” Charlie asked and Ava sighed as she sat up in the bed and turned to face Charlie.

“That he would always live with us. You promised he would but now he isn’t so you lied” Ava said “I don’t want him to move out” Ava said as a tear rolled down her cheek. “Mummy please let him stay. I’ll be good. I’ll eat all my dinner, and put my toys away and tidy my room and I won’t fight with Ben anymore. Please mummy” Ava cried and Charlie bit her lip as a tear rolled down her cheek.

“Hey, it’s not anything you have done, sweetie” Charlie said as she wiped the tears from her daughters face. “This isn’t your fault, okay?”

“So why can’t he stay?” Ava asked “Does he not love me anymore?” Ava asked through tears.

“Of course he does. Your daddy and I love you so so much” Charlie said

“So why has he left me?” Ava cried

“Sweetie, he has not left you” Charlie said as she gently rubbed her daughters back. “You will always get to see your daddy. He just won’t be living in the same house as mummy anymore”

“Is this like Jack and Martha?” Ava asked as she looked up at her mother. “He moved out but then moved back in again. Will this happen with you and daddy too?” Charlie looked down at her daughter’s tear stained face and looked deep into her pleading eyes. It broke Charlie’s heart to see her daughter so upset and she wished that things hadn’t turned out the way they had.

“I don’t know sweetie” Charlie said as she shook her head and Ava pulled a face in sadness. “Hey, do you understand all this?” Charlie asked and Ava nodded.

“I do. But I don’t want to talk about it anymore. It’s making me too upset” Ava said as she sniffed before looking down again.

“Well maybe I can fix that” Charlie said before she gently started to tickle her daughter.

“No mummy don’t” Ava shouted through the laughter. Charlie ignored her daughter and continued to tickle her and started laughing along with her. “Mummy please stop” Ava laughed and Charlie let go of her daughter and smiled as she saw the grin on her daughters face. “Mummy, can we watch High School Musical?” Ava asked as she sat up and pulled herself closer to Charlie.

“You’ve just watched it” Charlie laughed as she wrapped her arms around her daughter.

“Well, we could watch the second one” Ava suggested and Charlie nodded her head lightly.

“Sure” Charlie smiled. “You go and ask granny to put it on and I’ll be down in a minute” Charlie said as she ran her hand through her daughter’s hair.

“Okay. Love you mum” Ava smiled

“Love you too baby” Charlie said as she watched her daughter run out of the room. She sat in the room for a few minutes as she ran her finger over her wedding ring and let a lone tear roll down her cheek. Taking a deep breath she wiped the tear from her face before standing up and waking out of the room and down the stairs to join her family.

“Hello” Angelo said “Can I get another beer” Angelo waved his hand out and Alf looked down at him and shook his head.

“Bar’s closed mate” Alf replied “Why don’t you go home” Alf said before he left the bar area and took some things into the store room.

“Home. I don’t have anywhere to call home anymore” Angelo sighed as Ruby came storming into the bar and up to Angelo.

“How could you do that to her” Ruby shouted as she threw her arm forward and pushed Angelo back.

“It was just an accident” Angelo said

“An accident?” Ruby spat “Angelo how can you accidently sleep with someone else. That can’t happen by accident”

“I wish I could take it back but I can’t and you have no idea how bad I feel” Angelo said

“How bad you feel?” Ruby shouted “What about mum and how she feels? She is at home in bits Angelo, she is devastated”

“I’m sorry Ruby” Angelo said

“What about Ava and Ben? How could you do that to them. And the baby, you know how she felt about this baby but she still kept it because she loves you that much and you go and sleep with someone else” Ruby shouted

“Ruby, I’m so sorry. I love your mum so much and I’m willing to do anything to get her back. Please Ruby, you have to help me” Angelo said

“Help you?” Ruby spat “Angelo there is no way I am going to help you get mum back. You don’t deserve her forgiveness. After all you have been through together, after she waited for you when you were in jail, she could easily have ended it and moved on with her life but she waited and stood by you after you killed someone” Ruby yelled as a tear fell down her cheek. “What you had with mum was so great, how could you be so stupid to ruin that”

“I hate myself for what I’ve done Ruby. I hate knowing how much I have hurt Charlie and I’m willing to do anything to get her back”

“You have to stay away from her” Ruby said and Angelo sighed heavily.

“Rubes, please. I don’t want that, I want to fix it” Angelo said

“Then stay away from her” Ruby shouted “Give her space and time and she will talk to you when she is ready. Although if she has any sense it will be to talk about the divorce” Ruby spat and Angelo sighed.

“Rubes-”

“Angelo” the voice interrupted as she walked up to him. Ruby looked round at the woman who was fast approaching where they were standing. “Well aren’t you going to introduce us?” She smirked as Angelo stood frozen to the spot, his mouth slightly open.

“Angelo?” Ruby said “Who is she?”

“I’m Shelly, we met last night” She smirked once more as she held out her hand for Ruby to shake “And you are?” Ruby rejected the offer and took a few steps backs.

“Her?” Ruby said as she looked the woman up and down and screwed up her face as she did so. “Her” Ruby shouted again. “You cheated on mum with her”

“Oh, you must be Ruby” Shelly said before turning to face Angelo “How is your wife by the way? She good?” Shelly laughed.

“You knew?” Ruby shouted “You knew he was married and you still slept with him?” Ruby lunged forward and slapped Shelly across the face. Shelly lifted her hand up to her cheek as she let out a gasp. “You’ve ruined my family” Ruby shouted as she went to hit the woman once more but Alf ran in between the two women and held Ruby back before she could.

“What the flaming hell’s going on here” Alf bellowed

“He” Ruby shouted as she pointed to Angelo “Slept with her”

“What” Alf shouted as he looked around at Angelo. Angelo bowed his head down and Alf shook his head in disgust.

“You” Alf said as he looked at the woman “The bar is shut, can you please leave” Alf said and the women sighed before she placed her hand on Angelo’s shoulder and tiptoed up and whispered ‘Call me’ in his ear before giving Ruby a smug smile and walking away.

“Ruby love, I think you should go home as well” Alf said as he let go of her and Ruby nodded her head. “Gladly, anywhere were he won’t be” Ruby snarled as she looked up at Angelo before storming out of the Surf Club. Alf looked around at Angelo as he shook his head at the man, shocked to learn that he had cheated on Charlie.

“Please” Angelo said as a tear rolled down his cheek. “I ruined everything. I don’t need a lecture right now” Angelo said and Alf exhaled lightly.

“You need a place to stay?” Alf asked and Angelo nodded sheepishly. “You can have a van” Alf said and Angelo smiled slightly at his offer.

“Thanks” Angelo said as he bent down and picked up the bag of his clothes before following Alf out of the Surf Club.

Thank you so much everyone for the comments! :D So here is the next one, I hope you enjoy it! Also a little special thanks to Jess, I'm sure she knows why! :P:)

Chapter 29

Ruby opened the door to find a sheepish looking Angelo standing at the other side. “What do you want?” Ruby spat

“Charlie-”

“Mum’s not in” Ruby said as she turned around and walked further into the house.

Angelo sighed as he took a step forward “I’m taking the kids out today” Angelo said.

“Oh yeah” Ruby said “I remember her saying. Wait there and I will get them” Ruby said before running up the stairs.

“Daddy” Ben shouted as he ran down the stairs and into his dad’s arms.

“Hey mate” Angelo smiled at his son.

“Daddy, I had a bad dream last night and you weren’t there to help me” Ben said sadly as he buried his head into Angelo’s chest.

“Sorry mate” Angelo said as he gently rubbed his sons back.

“It’s okay. Mummy was here” Ben said and Angelo smiled sadly. “So, can we play soccer today?” Ben asked as he put his hands on Angelo’s shoulders as he smiled up at him.

“We’ll see. Ava doesn’t like to play soccer does she?” Angelo asked and Ben shook his head.

“Just silly girl things” Ben sulked

“Dad” Ava said as she ran up to him

“Hey” Angelo smiled as he ruffled his daughter’s hair

“Don’t mess it dad” Ava shouted and Angelo let out a small laugh. “Can we go to the beach today?” Ava asked and Angelo looked at Ben before nodding.

“Sure” Angelo smiled “Go and get your soccer ball Ben” Angelo said as he put Ben down and Ben ran off across the room and out of the back door running passed Charlie who had entered the back door with the shopping bags.

“Mum” Ava shouted as she ran through the house. “Dad is taking us to the beach today”

“That’ll be good” Charlie smiled and Ava nodded.

“Yeah, you should come mummy” Ben said as he ran back into the house with the ball in his hand.

“Eh, no not today Ben” Charlie said “You guys have fun though” Charlie smiled down at her kids.

“What time do you want them home at?” Angelo asked

Charlie looked up briefly at Angelo and exhaled lightly. It had been a week since she threw him out of the house and apart from when Angelo came round to take the kids out she hadn’t spoken to him. “In time for dinner” Charlie replied as she started to unpack the bags as a distraction.

“And what time is that?” Angelo asked and Charlie sighed as she banged the jar of peanut butter down on the table.

“The same time it’s always been” Charlie said and Angelo nodded lightly.

“Right yeah” Angelo said “Charlie are we ever going to...”

“Not in front of the kids” Charlie whispered and Angelo nodded lightly.

“C’mon dad” Ava said as she pulled on his hand.

“Oh” Charlie said as she looked up at Angelo and the kids. “If she’s going in the water watch she doesn’t get that cast wet” Charlie said

“Eh yes, of course I will” Angelo said as he watched Charlie continue to put the shopping away. “Well see you then” Angelo said

“Yeah, bye” Charlie said coldly.

“Bye Ruby” Angelo said, but Ruby chose not to respond. He sighed lightly before taking the kids out of the house.

“Oh Ruby” Charlie said as she turned to face her eldest daughter who was looking through the pile of mail that had been placed on the table that morning.

“Yeah?” Ruby said

“I ran into Alf this morning. Told me something very interesting that happened at the Surf Club last week” Charlie said and Ruby’s mouth opened but no words came out. “You really hit her?” Charlie asked and Ruby nodded.

“I did. I’m sorry, I know I shouldn’t have” Ruby said

“No you shouldn’t have” Charlie said and Ruby bowed her head down. “It should have been me giving her a good slap” Charlie said and Ruby looked up at her and gave a small laugh. “It’s the least she deserves” Charlie said as she walked across the room to where Ruby was standing. “I hope you hit her hard” Charlie smirked as she poked Ruby’s side and Ruby laughed as she nodded.

“Well my hand was stinging for ages” Ruby said and Charlie smiled.

“Seriously though Rubes, I love that you are sticking up for me, but no more hitting sluts, okay” Charlie said and Ruby laughed lightly before embracing in a hug with her mother.

Charlie was scanning the letter for about the 5th time when she heard footsteps on the stairs. She quickly hid the letter between the pages of the magazine that was sitting on the kitchen table. Picking up the bowl and glass she walked over to the dishwasher and loaded her dirty dishes away. “Morning” Ruby said cheerily as she walked into the kitchen holding her baby son in her arms.

“Morning Rubes” Charlie smiled as she looked up at her daughter. Upon seeing Charlie, Callum let out a squeal of excitement and threw his arms out and started to wriggle in his mother’s arms. Charlie smiled as she walked over to Ruby and took the baby in her arms.

“Someone’s excited to see granny” Ruby said

“Hey” Charlie shouted “What have I said about calling me that”

“Well that’s what you are” Ruby said

“Well yeah but I’m too young to be called granny, I don’t like it” Charlie said and Ruby laughed.

“To bad, Granny” Ruby teased and Charlie hit Ruby lightly across the arm. “Anyways, where’s Morag, Ben and Ava?”

“Ben and Ava are with Angelo and Morag is....” Charlie paused “I don’t know, she’s just out” Charlie said and Ruby nodded.

“I thought you were spending the day with the kids, Angelo had them yesterday” Ruby questioned

“Yeah, but I have something on today so I said Angelo could see them again” Charlie said and Ruby nodded understandingly.

“What you got on?” Ruby asked as she made a start to making Callum’s bottle for his breakfast.

“Just something” Charlie said

“Right then” Ruby sighed as she handed the bottle to Charlie and walked over to the table and picked up the magazine. Charlie looked down at Ruby and pulled a confused expression as to why she was left to feed the baby but shrugged it off and she went to take a seat next to Ruby. She placed the bottle into Callums mouth and smiled down at him and he enjoyed his breakfast.

“That’ll be you with your own soon” Ruby said and Charlie looked up at her and smiled uneasily.

“Yeah” Charlie said

“You know mum, this stuff with Angelo, it will get easier. I mean I know I’ve been giving him a hard time but I’d hate for this to be the end for you two. I really hope he can win you back and you can find a way to forgive him” Ruby said and Charlie smiled.

“Rubes, I want to...” Charlie paused as she bit her lip and tried to hold back a tear that was desperate to fall down her face. “I want to be able to forgive him but right now all I feel for him is hatred. It’s too soon for me to contemplate anything else”

“I know” Ruby said as she gently rubbed Charlie’s arm. “But you are having a baby together so you are going to need to resolve things, know where you are about, and I think that should be done before the baby arrives” Ruby said and Charlie nodded lightly “You do realise he has fell asleep” Ruby said as she pointed to her son. Charlie looked down at him and smiled lightly and she took the bottle from his mouth. “I’m not surprised actually, he was up most of the night” Ruby said.

“Yeah, I heard” Charlie said

“Sorry” Ruby said

“Don’t worry, can’t be helped” Charlie said “I’ll just go lay him down” Charlie said before disappearing out of the room. Ruby sighed lightly as she went back to flicking through the magazine, and soon enough she found Charlie’s letter. As she scanned it her eyes widened and her mouth opened in shock and she read the words ‘confirmation of appointment for termination’ and ‘Wednesday 5th August, 10am’. Today, Ruby thought to herself, that’s today.

“Hey, what you doing?” Charlie said as she walked back into the kitchen and noticed Ruby was sitting frozen, with her mouth wide open. “Ruby” Charlie shouted as she walked up to her. She looked down at the piece of paper she had in her hand and cursed under her breath as someone had found what she was going to do.

“How can you do this?” Ruby spoke as she looked up at her mother.

“I think the question is, what are you doing reading my mail?” Charlie spat as she grabbed the letter from her.

“You left it in the magazine” Ruby shouted

“Well I panicked” Charlie said “I heard you coming and had to get rid of it”

“Why mum?” Ruby said “How can you do it?”

Charlie sighed as she took a seat at the table. “Because, I....” Charlie paused as a tear rolled down her cheek. Ruby looked down at her mother and couldn’t help but feel a little sympathy for her. She took a seat next to her put her hand on top of Charlie’s. “I don’t want to do this alone” Charlie said

“Mum, you’re not going to be alone” Ruby said “Morag’s here and Ava is so excited about doing everything for this baby and there’s Angelo. Whether you are together or not, he’s still the father and will be here to help raise the baby. “Ruby said as she gently rubbed Charlie’s hand. “And then there’s me. I’m here to help. I’ll always be here for you, mum”

“You have your own baby Ruby, you’re own life to lead” Charlie said as she looked up at her daughter.

“You helped me loads with Callum the first four months of his life. You practically raised him for me” Ruby said

“You’ve been great with him this last month though” Charlie said and Ruby smiled.

“Yeah and that’s thanks to you. So now I’m going to be here to help you. And you pretty much raised Ava on your own for the first 4 years of her life” Ruby said “But you’re not going to be on your own mum. Angelo will always be here to help you”

“It’s not just that Ruby” Charlie said “I don’t want this baby, I never have. I only kept it for Angelo and now he has betrayed me....”

“Oh my God” Ruby shouted as she stood up from the seat. “Is that what this is really about? He betrayed you so you are doing this to get back at him? Mum you can’t do that” Ruby yelled

“I can and I am” Charlie shouted as she stood up from the chair and made her way to the back door and picked up her car keys from the worktop.

“You can’t just kill his baby” Ruby yelled

“Yes I can” Charlie shouted “It my body. It’s my choice. I don’t want this baby”

“You will regret this” Ruby shouted “Mum, I can’t let you do this”

“It’s not up to you” Charlie shouted “I want to do this Ruby and I’m going” Charlie said as she opened the door and walked quickly to her car. Ruby went to chase after her but as she got outside she saw Charlie’s car pulling out of the drive. She ran back into the house and tried find her mobile desperate to phone Angelo to let him know of Charlie’s plans.

Wow, thank you so much, Jess, Sarah, Chester-Sam, Rach Loves H&A, Cally, Laura, Georgie, charlie29, lollypop, Charis and Barbara for your comments. I really appreciate them. :D I hope you like this next one.

Chapter 30

Ruby threw the phone down in frustration as once again the phone rang through to voicemail. She looked down at her wrist and read the time on her watch. 9.45 am. There wasn’t much time left for Ruby to find Angelo or for them to get to the clinic in time to stop Charlie. She knew she needed to leave to house to look for Angelo. Just as she was about to run up the stairs to get her son the door opened and Morag walked into the house. “Morag, I need to stay here and watch Callum” Ruby shouted in a panic as she ran to the door and out of the house.

“Sure, what’s wrong?” Morag asked but Ruby was already out of earshot and was running down the path and away from the house. Morag pulled a confused face before she closed the door and walked through the house. Ruby ran as fast as she could as she desperately tried to think of where Angelo could be, although, due to the size of the bay, she didn’t really have many places to choose from. After a quick run along the beach, she headed up to the diner and was relieved to have found Angelo.

“Ruby, daddy is buying us pancakes for breakfast” Ben said excitedly as he saw Ruby running over to the table.

“That’s great Ben” Ruby said quickly before looking round at Angelo. “Why the hell are you not answering your phone?” Ruby yelled.

“Sorry, I left it in the van” Angelo said

“You have to go stop mum” Ruby said “She’s gone to have a termination” Ruby said and Angelo eyes widened as he stood up quickly.

“What, how can she do that?” Angelo questioned as he ran his hand through his hair.

“Angelo, you just need to go stop her” Ruby said and Angelo nodded as he looked down at Ava and Ben.

“I’ll watch them, just go” Ruby said and Angelo nodded before running out of the diner.

Charlie sat in the waiting room and was nervously shaking her leg as she waited to be called through. She turned her head and looked out of the window and sighed lightly. As she sat there she played with her wedding ring and thoughts ran through her mind. Was Ruby right, will she regret this decision after it’s happened and it’s too late to change it? Would the baby feel anything? What was she going to tell the kids about what happened to the baby? What was she going to say to Angelo? Should she really do this behind Angelo’s back? Should she really be doing this at all? “Charlie Rosetta” the voice said and Charlie looked up and gave a gentle nod before standing up. “If you would like to come this way” The lady said and Charlie gave another small nod as she followed the lady across the hall. She placed her had onto her stomach and rubbed it gently as she bit her lip.

Angelo jumped into the car and sped off to Yabbie Creek in a desperate hope to get the clinic on time. As he drove thoughts raced through his head. How could Charlie do this after saying she could never get an abortion? If he didn’t cheat on her would she still be doing this? How could she go behind his back like this? What was he going to say to her when he got there? What would it mean for them if he was too late? Could he ever forgive her for killing his innocent child? Although Angelo had messed up and was trying to get Charlie to talk about things and get her forgiveness so they could be a family again, he knew that he would never be able to forgive her for this and it really would spell the end of their marriage. As Angelo pulled up into the car park he saw a figure walking out of the clinic and upon a second glance he saw that it was Charlie. He ran out of the car and up to Charlie who seemed quite startled by his presence. “How could you” Angelo yelled as he grabbed onto Charlie’s arms. “How could you do this to me?” Angelo choked back the tears desperate to fall from his face as realisation hit him that his baby was gone.

“Angelo” Charlie said as she tried to wriggle herself free from his grasp. “Get off me” Charlie yelled and Angelo exhaled heavily as he freed Charlie’s arms.

“How could you Charlie” Angelo shouted “Is this some kind of payback for what happened with Shelly? You think, oh he cheated on me so I will kill his baby - his innocent baby - to get back at him?”

“Angelo, I...” Charlie tried to speak once again but Angelo kept shouting over her.

“Do think this levels us out or something? We’ve both done something wrong and hurtful that needs forgiving, so you think this has made us even? That it will be easier to move on now? Because Charlie, I can’t....” Angelo paused as a lone tear rolled down his cheek. “I can’t ever forgive you for this”

“Angelo, I didn’t....” Charlie attempted to speak again but once again Angelo spoke over her.

“What you’ve just done is so much worse than what I did” Angelo said “How can you live with yourself now Charlie. How can you be so spiteful? How could you.....”

“Angelo, will you shut up and let me talk” Charlie shouted and Angelo exhaled lightly before nodding his head.

“Okay, talk” Angelo said before finally realising they were standing in the middle of the road and should probably move. “We should go sit” Angelo said as he pointed to the bench only metres away. Charlie nodded lightly and followed Angelo and took a seat next to him on the bench.

“I didn’t do it” Charlie said and as she made eye contact with Angelo. Angelo eyes widened before he let out a sigh of relief. He opened his mouth as if to talk but no words came out. “Even though I hate you so much right now, I couldn’t. I still couldn’t do it. I got into the room but then I froze and I just couldn’t. I don’t know what but something stopped me”

Angelo smiled as he tried to take Charlie’s hand in his but she pulled away quickly. “I’m sorry for shouting at you like that, I should have given you a chance to talk” Angelo said

“Its fine” Charlie sighed “I mean in your defence, you did think I just killed your baby. I would have deserved it”

“What were you going to tell me Charlie?” Angelo asked and Charlie exhaled lightly. “I mean if Ruby didn’t find out and you went through with it, what would you have said?”

“I don’t know. I didn’t really think that far ahead” Charlie said and Angelo nodded understandingly.

“Well, you don’t have too now” Angelo said “And maybe the fact you couldn’t do it means that you do want this baby? Or at least, even deep down, you feel something for it?” Angelo questioned

“Maybe” Charlie sighed as she gently rubbed her stomach.

“Charlie I don’t want our baby to be born into this” Angelo said “We really need to talk”

“I know we do” Charlie said “But it’s still too soon for me Angelo. I’m not ready to have this conversation”

“Why don’t we go away?” Angelo suggested “Our anniversary, it’s in a few weeks time. I had a weekend away for us booked and maybe we could still use that. You know to get away from bay, just me and you, no distractions, we are there to talk about us. That still gives you time to think this over”

“So you want to use the day of our wedding to discuss whether we still have a marriage?” Charlie questioned

“Well, it doesn’t have to be that weekend” Angelo said “Just anytime. Charlie I want to talk about this and you know you can’t keep putting it off forever”

“I don’t want to go away anywhere with you” Charlie spat “And I will talk about stuff when I know myself what I want to do. In the mean time things just stay the way they are” Charlie said and Angelo nodded. He knew he had to let things go Charlie’s way if he had any chance in getting her back.

“Sure” Angelo said “Well best get back to the kids then if there is nothing left to discuss here” Angelo stood up from the bench and looked down at Charlie who had stayed seated. “I’ll bring the kids home in time for dinner again” Angelo said and Charlie nodded before Angelo started to walk away.

“Angelo” Charlie shouted and Angelo stopped walking and turned to face her.

“Yeah?”

“My 12 week scan. It’s on Saturday at 3 if you want to be there” Charlie said and Angelo nodded lightly as a smile appeared on his face.

“Yeah, of course I will” Angelo said before turning around and walking back to his car, the smile still present on his face.

Charlie looked down at her stomach as she rubbed it gently. A smile appeared on her face as she thought about her unborn baby. “Maybe I do feel something for you after all” Charlie whispered as the smile upon her face grew bigger.

Thank you everyone! :D

Chapter 31

“This is the best one dad” Ava smiled as she ran into the room where Angelo was standing.”It’s my favourite house”

“Yeah, I like this one best too” Angelo agreed with his daughter. They had spent the morning looking around 3 different houses that were up for sale or rent in the area. Although this one was a little further out of the bay it was the most suitable for his family and it had a swimming pool, which Angelo took as the reason as to why it was Ava’s favourite.

“Whose bedroom would this be?” Ava asked as she looked around the room.

“This one would be mines” Angelo said and Ava pulled a face.

“Oh. It’s the biggest, I wanted it” Ava said and Angelo laughed lightly as he ruffled Ava’s hair. “Don’t do that to my hair, dad” Ava said as she ducked her head away from him.

“Well this one is my room. You room is the one across the hall” Angelo said

Ava looked up at her dad “Okay” Ava smiled. “Can you paint it my favourite colour?” Ava asked

“Yeah, of course we can” Angelo said and Ava smiled.

“Do you know what my favourite colour is?” Ava asked

“Of course I do” Angelo said “It’s pink”

“Yeah it is” Ava grinned “Can I get High School Musical bed covers?” Ava asked

“Yeah” Angelo smiled

“Oh and you know what dad, you can buy High School Musical dolls now, can I get one?” Ava asked and Angelo nodded.

“Yeah, sure” Angelo smiled. “Let me guess, you want a Gabriella one?”

“Yes” Ava said as her eyes widened “How did you know that?”

“Because I’m your dad. I know everything about you” Angelo said and Ava smiled.

“Really?” Ava said “So, you know my second favourite too?”

“That would be Troy” Angelo said and Ava grinned as she nodded her head.

“Yeah it is” Ava beamed “So can I get two dolls? A Gabriella one and a Troy one?” Ava asked as she sweetly smiled up at her dad.

“We’ll see” Angelo said “Now where did your brother go?”

“I’m here” Ben shouted as he ran into the room. “I like this house daddy, it’s big. Bigger than granny’s and the house that burned down. Is mummy going to live here too?” Ben asked “And Ruby and Callum?”

“No mate” Angelo said as he bent down to his son’s level. Another week had passed since they talked outside the clinic and Charlie seemed even less interested in talking things over. Angelo began to think the more she was putting this talk off was because she was going to end their relationship completely. “Just daddy will live here. And sometimes you and Ava will stay here”

“And the baby?” Ava asked Angelo nodded.

“Yeah and the baby too” Angelo replied

“I don’t want the baby” Ben said as he stomped his feet off the ground.

“Why not mate?” Angelo asked

“Because, just because I don’t” Ben yelled and Angelo pulled a confused face before shrugging it off.

“I want us all to live here” Ava said sadly. Angelo turned slightly to face his daughter “I know sweetheart, but your mum and me, we're not....” Angelo paused and took a deep breath as he felt his eyes welling up. “We’re not together anymore”

“Jack and Martha weren’t but are again” Ava said

“I know, but just because it happened for Jack and Martha, it doesn’t mean it’s going to happen for me and your mum” Angelo said

“Why don’t you want to be with mum anymore?” Ava asked “Don’t you love her?”

“Of course I do, I love her so much” Angelo said

“So then you should be together” Ava said

“Ava, sweetie, it’s not as simple as that”

“But why” Ava said as a tear rolled down her cheek. “I don’t like this. I want you together, please dad stay married and together”

Angelo choked back a tear as he pulled his daughter closer to him. He took her hands into his and lightly nodded his head. He knew he was about to say the wrong thing but he hated to see his daughter upset and didn’t know what else he could say to stop it. “Mum will live here one day” Angelo said “We will get back together”

“You promise” Ava said and Angelo nodded.

“I promise” Angelo smiled before embracing in a hug with his daughter.

“Me too daddy” Ben said and Angelo smiled as he pulled Ben into the hug.

Charlie and Ruby walked into the Diner and Ruby took a seat as Charlie went up to place their order. “Hey” Jay said as he walked over to Ruby.

“Oh hi” Ruby smiled as she gently shook the buggy to stop Callum’s cries. Jay looked down at the buggy and smiled.

“How old is he?” Jay asked

“5 months” Ruby said and Jay nodded lightly.

“Cute” Jay said “His eyes are so blue. Guess he doesn’t take after you there” Jay said as he looked deep into Ruby’s green eyes.

Eh no” Ruby said

“Not that that would be a bad thing. You’re eyes are nice....your nice....your beautiful” Jay said

“Oh” Ruby blushed before a smile appeared on her face. “Ehm thanks”

“That’s okay” Jay said “I’m Jay by the way” Jay said as he realised he hadn’t exchanged his name with Ruby yet.

“Ruby” Ruby smiled and Jay nodded.

“Yeah I know” Jay smiled “So I was wondering if maybe you would like to hang out sometime?” Jay asked

“Eh” Ruby said as she saw Charlie walking across to the table. Jay looked round to where Ruby was looking and nodded his head lightly.

“Well you can think about it and let me know” Jay smiled before walking away. Ruby watched him as he walked away and seemed quite unaware of just how big the smile on her face had become. Charlie sat back down at the table and stared at her daughter.

“What’s put that smile on your face?” Charlie asked “Or should I say who?” Charlie looked around to where Ruby was staring and watched as Jay walked out of the door.

“His name is Jay, and he just asked me out” Ruby said as she looked back round at Charlie.

“Do you know him?”

“I’ve spoken to him a couple of times” Ruby smiled

“Oh, so is this like a date?” Charlie asked

“I don’t know” Ruby said

“Rubes, are you sure you’re ready for this? It wasn’t long ago you were in tears because you thought you liked Geoff” Charlie said

“I know. But I don’t like Geoff, at least not in that way. He’s a friend and nothing more. I was confused and I don’t know what I thought I felt but I know I don’t like him in that way” Ruby said and Charlie smiled at her daughter.

“Well you could always build up a friendship with him first then take things from there” Charlie said

“Yeah, I could” Ruby smiled “So, are you going to go away with Angelo?” Ruby asked tentatively.

Charlie exhaled lightly as she bit her lip. “I don’t think so” Charlie shook her head.

“I think it might be a good thing” Ruby said “Mum, you can’t keep doing this. You need to talk to him”

“I know I do” Charlie sighed “But it’s too hard Rubes. I don’t know how to forgive him” Charlie said, on the verge of tears and Ruby smiled sympathetically at her mother as she took her hand into her hers.

“Mum, it’s only just happened. I’m sure forgiveness will come in time. Right now you need to talk about your situation and its needs to be sorted not only for your sake but for the kids. You’re having his baby, mum; do you really want this baby to be born into arguing and tension or even parents that don’t even speak to each other?” Ruby said and Charlie shook her head. “Then talk to him mum”

“Okay” Charlie took a deep breath. “I will” Ruby smiled empathetically at her mum just as Irene came over to the table with their order.

“Here you go” Irene smiled as she placed their food in front of them. “No kids today?”

“No” Charlie answered “They’re off house hunting with Angelo”

“Oh right” Irene said “How are things with you two now?”

“Nothing’s changed” Charlie said “Hence why he is house hunting”

Irene glanced down at Ruby and bit her lip. “Right” Irene said “And how are you feeling love?” Irene asked as she looked back up at Charlie sympathetically.

“I wish people would stop asking me that. My marriage broke up, I’m not dying” Charlie snapped as she shot up from the table and started to walk away. Ruby looked up at Irene who looked pretty shocked at Charlie’s outburst and was about to speak but she quickly turned her head when she heard Leah shouting out Charlie’s name. She looked around to find Charlie lying on the floor and Leah and Colleen rushing to her aid.

Archived