I'll Always Be Here

Guest Danni02

Thank you Charmed60, freckleface, charlie29, Barbara, carywary, Hannah-K, ~JarlieFanEver~, tessalove, Laura158 and ashelyjane for the lovely comments. They are very much appreciated. I hope you all like this next chapter.

Chapter 11

Ava ran excitedly along the corridor and burst into Charlie’s room. “Mum” Ava shouted as she ran across to the bed and leaned over and pulled Charlie into a hug. Charlie winced slightly as he hugged her young daughter.

“Hey sweetie” Charlie said as she looked down at her daughter and smiled.

“When are you coming home mum?” Ava asked

“I’m not sure yet sweetie. I think someone was going to let me know what was happening today” Charlie said and Ava nodded as she pulled a sad face.

“Well I hope it’s soon. I miss you being at home” Ava said and Charlie smiled at daughter.

“I want to get home too” Charlie said

“We’ve been saying at Granny Morag’s” Ben said as he climbed up onto the bed and sat next to Charlie. “Not at home because of the fire”

“Yeah me, Ruby, Ben and Callum all had to stay in one room” Ava said “But not anymore because Ruby and Callum are going to live with Geoff and Nicole” Charlie shot a worried look up at Ruby at hearing this.

“You’re what?” Charlie said

“They offered me a room at their place and I accepted” Ruby said and Charlie shook her head.

“No, Ruby I don’t think so” Charlie said

“What do you mean you don’t think so? It’s not up to you” Ruby said

“Ruby you’ve only just started to take responsibility for your son a few days ago. I want you to be with me, you don’t know how to care for a baby” Charlie said

“All new mums have to learn what they’re doing” Ruby said “And beside’s Geoff and Nic have Jessica so they know what they’re doing”

“Ruby, I would rather that you stayed with me just for a little longer” Charlie said and Ruby shook her head.

“I’m going to stay with Geoff and Nicole” Ruby said and Charlie sighed.

“What’s this about Geoff and Nicole?” Angelo asked as he walked into the room. He walked over to Charlie and placed a hand on her shoulder as he gave her a kiss.

“Ruby is going to live with them” Ava said

“Oh right” Angelo nodded.

“I don’t want her to go” Charlie said and Ruby sighed

“Mum we just spoke about this, I am going” Ruby said “I’ve looked after Callum fine these past few days without you and Nic knows how to look after a baby so she’s there if I need help” Charlie sighed once more as she rubbed her forehead.

“So did you find anything out at the house?” Charlie asked as she looked around at Angelo as she changed the subject. She wasn’t happy with Ruby deciding to move into somewhere else away from her but she didn’t have the energy right now to argue about it.

“Ehm, yeah we did actually” Angelo said before looking down at his young children. “Hey guys can you go find Rachel and ask if mummy can have a jug of water” Angelo said quickly thinking of an excuse to get his children out of the room so he could talk about the fire and James. Ava nodded before she ran to the door.

“Wait for me” Ben shouted as he jumped down from the bed and ran out of the room and caught up with his sister. Charlie looked up at Angelo and pulled a face.

“You do realise Rachel isn’t actually working today?” Charlie said

“Oh well, it will keep them occupied” Angelo said

“Or you’ll get a telling off for letting your children run riot around a hospital” Charlie said and Angelo laughed.

“Anyways, what did you find?” Charlie asked and Angelo took a deep breath.

“We found a can hidden in amongst the bushes up near the front of the house. It definitely had petrol in it” Angelo said

“So it was arson?” Ruby said and Angelo nodded.

“Looks like it”

“And you think it was James?” Charlie said and Angelo shrugged his shoulders.

“Well possibly it was him” Angelo said

“Well it kinda makes sense doesn’t it? I mean he’s out there wanting revenge on you for killing his brother then your house gets set on fire” Ruby said and Angelo nodded.

“Yeah. I guess” Angelo said

“Right Rubes, I definitely want you to stay with us at Morag’s now” Charlie said

“Mum please” Ruby said “Just let me stay at Nic’s, I’ll be fine” Ruby said

“Ruby...”

“Charlie” Angelo spoke over her as he placed he placed his hand on hers. “Maybe it’ll be good for her to move out and we’re only going to be a few minutes away if she needs us” Angelo said and Charlie sighed.

“What about James Angelo? What if he does something? Her moving in with Geoff and Nicole could put them in danger too” Charlie said

“And with you staying at Morag’s you could be putting her in danger” Ruby retorted “Mum with James being out there none of us are going to be safe wherever we are. We are just going to have to be careful” Ruby said and Charlie looked up Angelo as she sighed.

“She’s right, you know” Angelo said and Charlie nodded.

“I know” Charlie said as she bit her lip. “Fine, you can stay, but just be careful Rubes” Charlie said and Ruby nodded as she smiled at her mother.

“Well I need get going. I left Callum with Nic and Geoff” Ruby said as she stood up and gave her mother a kiss before she walked out of the room just as Ava and Ben were brought into the room by Dr Young.

“Do these two belong to you”? He asked his tone angry.

“That depends what they’ve done” Charlie laughed and Dr Young glared at her, not looking impressed.

“They’ve been playing around on one of the adjustable beds” Dr Young said. “Do you know how much it would cost to repair or replace one of them?” He asked with anger present in his voice.

“Eh, sorry” Charlie said “It won’t happen again”

“It better not, you want to keep better control of your children” Dr Young said with more aggression in his tone.

“Alright mate, they were just playing around. I’m sure they haven’t caused any harm” Angelo said trying to take control of the situation.

“It would be a very different story if one of them got hurt” Dr Young replied

“Yes, and we are sorry, and I can guarantee you it won’t happen again, will it kids?” Charlie said as she looked down at them.

“No it won’t” Ava said shyly and she moved closer to Angelo. “Sorry Doctor” Ava said

“That’s alright” Dr Young nodded. “Well Charlie, I also have some good news for you. You can go home this afternoon” Dr Young said and Ava jumped up and down in excitement at the news.

“No Doctor our home is burned down” Ben said “That’s why mummy is here. We’re staying with Granny Morag”

“Okay, well you can go home to Morag’s” Dr Young corrected himself for the benefit of the young boy. “But first I want to redress your burns” At the sound of this Charlie looked away from Angelo. “If you just want to step back for me please” Dr Young said and Angelo nodded and he moved to the side to let Dr Young redress Charlie wounds.

“No, can you wait outside” Charlie said as she looked back up at her husband.

“Charlie, why?” Angelo asked feeling slightly confused.

“Please” Charlie said sounding like she was about to break into tears.

“Okay” Angelo said before stepping forward again and placing a kiss on Charlie’s forehead. “We’ll be right outside” Angelo said before ushering the kids out of the room and taking a seat in the corridor.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you so much everyone. You're comments make me smile! :)

Chapter 12

Ruby walked down the stairs after settling Callum down for the night. She walked into the kitchen and pulled the bottle of wine out of the fridge before pouring herself a rather large glass. Walking back through to the living room she took a seat on the couch before picking up the photo album that she had brought down with her. Opening the front page she looked down at the picture. It was of Ruby and Xavier on their wedding day. “I miss you so much Xav” Ruby said as she ran her finger across his face. She turned the pages in the album as tears rolled down her cheek hitting the plastic cover over photo’s as she looked down at them. She stopped at a picture of them; Xavier standing behind Ruby with his hands touching her pregnant stomach, his chin resting on Ruby’s shoulder, big smiles plastered on both of their faces. Ruby jumped slightly when she heard the front door bang shut. She looked up to find Geoff was home.

“Rubes, you alright?” Geoff asked as he took in the scene. A red eyed Ruby with a tear stained face sitting on the couch, a half drunken glass of wine sitting on the table. Ruby shook her head as another tear fell down her cheek. “Rubes” Geoff said as he quickly made his way across to the couch and sat down next the woman. Noticing the album in her hands he looked down at the photo. “You look really happy there” Geoff said and Ruby nodded.

“We were” Ruby said as she wiped the tears from the face. “He was so looking forward to being a dad” Ruby said “He was going to teach him how to surf and take him to the footie. He was talking about fishing and camping trips he wanted to take him on but now that can’t happen and Callum is going to miss out on all of that. Miss out on having a father”

“You know he can still have that Ruby. I know you won’t be thinking about this right now but you’ll meet someone else who Callum can have all of that with”

“But it should be with Xavier” Ruby cried as she leaned in closer to Geoff and rested her head on his shoulder. Geoff put his arm around her and gently rubbed her arm. “But because of that stupid drunk driver he never even got to meet his son and now Callum will never know his dad. It’s not fair Geoff. It's just not fair” Ruby’s tears became heavier and Geoff’s grip on her became tighter.

“I know Rubes” Geoff said “But...” Geoff made to speak but Ruby spoke over him.

“You know I didn’t want to call the baby Callum” Ruby said as she sat up and turned to face Geoff. “I wanted to call him Ryan. But Xavier...” Ruby paused as she bit her lip. “He liked Callum and after he died it didn’t seem right to call him anything else” Ruby said and Geoff smiled.

“That sweet Rubes” Geoff said as he gently rubbed Ruby’s arm. Ruby looked up at Geoff and met with his gaze. She looked deep into eyes and learned forward and kissed him softly on the lips. Geoff briefly returned the kiss before pulling away.

“What the hell was that?” Geoff asked. Ruby looked away from Geoff as she rubbed her forehead.

“Eh....I’m gonna go check on Callum” Ruby said as she jumped off the couch and ran up the stairs.

Angelo walked back down the stairs after reading the kids their bedtime story and joined his wife on the couch. “So, kids are in bed, Morag’s out” Angelo smiled as he ran his hand through Charlie’s long dark hair. Charlie just sat there not replying to what Angelo had said, not even looking around at him. “Charlie” Angelo took a deep breath. “It’s been two weeks. Please, let me in. Let me know how you are feeling, what you’re thinking, anything. Just talk to me Charlie” Angelo said before he gently rubbed Charlie’s arm. Charlie bit her lip and she slowly turned herself around on the couch so that she was facing Angelo.

“What do you want me to talk about Angelo?” Charlie asked “About how fearful I am for the lives of my family, about how I am always watching my back jumping at every noise I hear, how I don’t let the kids out of my sight, how much I hate how I look and how conscious I feel, how much I can’t bring myself to let you see how I look” Charlie shouted and the tears rolled down her cheek as she fell forward and leaned herself against Angelo’s chest. He wrapped his arms around her as he placed a kiss on the top of her head.

“Oh Charlie” Angelo said and Charlie looked up at him as the tears continued to stream down her face. “We have a team out almost 24/7 looking for this guy and if it's going to make you feel any safer then we can get people watching the house” Angelo said and Charlie nodded her head as she wiped away the tears from her face.

“Yes... no...I don’t know” Charlie said “I don’t want the kids knowing what’s going on. If they notice police watching us they’ll start asking questions”

“Okay, whatever you want Charlie, but we are going to find this guy” Angelo said. “Even if it the last thing I do, I won’t stop until he is found and is back in prison” Angelo said as he moved Charlie’s hair behind her ear. “I promise you that” Angelo said

“Don’t go doing anything stupid Angelo. We need you here” Charlie said

“I won’t. I promise” Angelo said “And Charlie about these burns, you know I’m not going to think anything of them. They are not going to change the way I feel about you. You are the most beautiful woman I know and these burns will do nothing to diminish that” Angelo said as he ran his hand down Charlie’s face and a lone tear fell down Charlie’s cheek. She turned around on the couch and took a deep breath before lifting up her top, finally allowing Angelo to see the burns, the burns that ran down the length of her back. Angelo gently moved Charlie’s long wavy hair out of the way and looked down at her back. “Oh Charlie” Angelo spoke lightly as he placed his hand over a burn and gently ran his hand the length of it. Bringing his mouth down he placed a loving kiss on the burn. A tear rolled down Charlie’s cheek as he did this. “Charlie you got these because you went back into the burning house thinking I was still in there, you were trying to save my life Charlie and the fact that you put saving my life over your own safety shows just how brave and truly amazing you are. And that’s what these burns are Charlie. They are a reminder of just how brave and amazing you are” Charlie smiled as she turned herself around on the couch and looked lovingly into Angelo eyes. Angelo smiled as he ran his hand through her hair before pulling her closer to him and into a passionate kiss. He wrapped his arms around her before he gently ran his hands across her back. Charlie pulled back and stood up from the couch and took a few steps back. “Charlie what’s wrong?” Angelo asked as he looked up at his wife. Charlie smiled down at Angelo as she held her hand out. He stood up and took her hand into his and followed her as she led him up the stairs.

Once again, thank you all so much for the comments. :)

Chapter 13

Ruby walked down the stairs and into the kitchen and stopped as she saw Geoff at the table eating his breakfast. “Morning” Ruby said as she walked over to the fridge and pulled out the carton of orange juice. Geoff quickly glanced up at Ruby before looking back down at the newspaper. “Geoff about last night...”

“I don’t want to talk about it” Geoff said as he picked up the empty cereal bowl and half drunken glass of orange juice and put them into the sink.

“Geoff, just let me explain

“Ruby, I said I don’t want to talk about it” Geoff shouted as he threw his arms out to the side.

“Geoff I think we need too” Ruby said as she moved closer to him and put her hand on his arm. Geoff quickly pulled away and walked over to the fridge and took out a bottle of water.

“I’m going to the gym” Geoff said as he picked his bag up off the floor and flung it over his shoulder.

“Geoffrey” Ruby shouted and Geoff sighed as he threw the bottle down on the worktop.

“Okay, talk” Geoff said

“I’m sorry; I don’t know what I was thinking, it just happened” Ruby paused as she looked down to the floor. She bit her lip before looking up at Geoff.” I was just upset and you were there comforting me and when I looked up at you, I just couldn’t not kiss you” Ruby said

“And you think that makes it okay? Ruby I’m married to your best friend” Geoff said “And now I am going to have to tell Nicole what we have done”

“No, you don’t Geoff, you did nothing wrong, I kissed you, not the other way around. Nicole never need’s to find out” Ruby said

“I kissed you back Rubes” Geoff shouted

“For like a second Geoff, Nicole doesn’t need to know. Don’t make this out to something bigger than it was” Ruby said

“She’s my wife Ruby, I can’t lie to her” Geoff said “I need to tell her what I’ve done”

“Geoff you won’t be lying to her” Ruby said

“Ruby, I’d be keeping something from her. I can’t do that to her. I’m sorry but I have too” Geoff said before picking up the water bottle. He started to make to his way out of the room but Ruby grabbed onto his arm to stop him.

“Geoff, telling her is only going to cause upset. Do you really need that?” Ruby asked and Geoff shook his head.

“I don’t know Rubes” Geoff said “But it feels wrong not telling her”

“Geoff it was only a kiss which you didn’t initiate or reciprocate” Ruby said “Don’t make a big deal out it, let’s just forget about it” Ruby said and Geoff sighed as he rubbed his forehead before nodding lightly.

“Okay. Now, I’m going to the gym” Geoff said before he made his way out of the house. Ruby watched as he walked away. She knew Geoff would be able to put it behind them and nothing would change for him but she couldn’t help but get the feeling that she wanted to kiss him again.

Charlie was making up Ava’s lunchbox when Angelo walked into the room. He walked up behind her and placed his hands around her waist and he softly planted a kiss on her neck. “Morning” Angelo grinned.

“Morning” Charlie said as she turned around to face Angelo and wrapped her arms around his neck. She smiled up at him before they kissed.

“So, what are you plans for today?” Angelo asked as he tucked Charlie’s hair behind her ear.

“I’ve got to take the kids to school then I’m going around to see Ruby” Charlie said as she broke away from Angelo and placed an orange into the box, although 9 times out of 10, the piece of fruit she placed in everyday always came back un eaten.

“I thought Ruby was going into the city today to see Gina?” Angelo asked and Charlie nodded her head.

“Yeah she is, but she said she wanted to speak to me first” Charlie said

“Oh right, is everything okay?” Angelo asked sounding concerned

“I don’t know Angelo. I guess I’ll find out when I go round” Charlie said before adding a carton of juice to the box before closing it.

“Right, yeah” Angelo nodded.

“Daddy can I stay home today?” Ben shouted as he ran into the kitchen and up to his dad.

“No mate, you need to go to school” Angelo said

“But I don’t like school” Ben said and Ava laughed as she picked up her lunch box from the worktop.

“Ben you’re only in nursery. All you have to do is play” Ava said “I have stupid sums and writing to do”

“Well I still don’t like it” Ben said “Please daddy”

“Everyone is going out mate, can’t leave you on your own” Angelo said as he bent down to his son’s level and ruffled his hair.

“But why?” Ben asked

“Cos it’s the law” Ava said “Your only 4, you can’t stay yourself. Right mum?” Ava said as she looked up at Charlie.

“Yup that’s right” Charlie smiled. “Now come on lets go” Charlie said as she gave Ben a gentle push but he didn’t move.

“No, I’m not going” Ben said before running across the kitchen crawling under the table.

“Ben, stop being silly” Charlie said but Ben just sat there and didn’t reply to Charlie.

“Benjamin Ross” Angelo shouted and Ben immediately ran out from under the table.

“Okay, I’ll go. Don’t shout daddy” Ben said. Charlie gave Angelo a kiss goodbye before she took the kids out of the house.

Charlie knocked on the door and waited but she didn’t receive any answer. She pulled her phone out of her pocket and scrolled down her list until she found Ruby’s number. Hitting the call button she lifted the phone up to her ear and waited for an answer. She sighed lightly as it rang through to voicemail. She took a few steps back and looked up at the widow. “Ruby” Charlie shouted, hoping to get some kind of response but she didn’t hear anything back. She considered leaving, maybe she got it wrong and Ruby was going to come see her when she got back from the city but something was telling Charlie that something wasn’t right. She walked forward and tried the front door and found it was open. “Hello, Ruby are you here?” Charlie shouted as she walked into the house. Charlie made her way up the stairs and quickened her pace as she heard the sounds of crying coming from the bedroom. She opened the door to find Ruby curled up on the bed, tears streaming down her face. “Hey, Rubes, what’s wrong?” Charlie asked as she took a seat at the edge of the bed and gently rubbed Ruby’s back.

“I think...” Ruby paused as she bit her lip. “I think...I...I like someone” Ruby said as a tear rolled down her cheek. “Xav’s only been dead 5 months, how can I feel like this. It’s not right” Ruby cried as she pushed herself up on the bed and turned to face Charlie. “How long am I supposed to wait?” Ruby asked as she looked up at Charlie.

“Ruby, sweetie, there’s no answer for that” Charlie said as she gently placed her hand on Ruby’s arm. Everyone is different in this situation. Only you know when you are ready to move on. It could take months, it could be years, but don’t feel guilty for it. Xavier would want you to move on and find someone else to love and spend your life with” Charlie said as she gently rubbed Ruby’s arm.

“But five months, that’s quick right?” Ruby asked.

“Not if it feels like it’s the right time for you” Charlie said and Ruby shook her head.

“I like him, but I don’t want to feel like this for him” Ruby said “It’s just not right. She’s my best friend, how can I do this to her” Ruby said as the tears fell down her face. She looked away from Charlie and put her head in her hands.

“Do what to Nicole, Ruby?” Charlie asked as she placed her arm around her.

“Its Geoff mum, I think I like Geoff” Ruby cried as she looked back up at Charlie. “I kissed him. How could I have done that to Nic?”

“Aww Rubes” Charlie said as she pulled Ruby closer to her and Ruby leaned her head against Charlie’s chest. Charlie gently rubbed Ruby’s back as she placed a kiss on her head. “You know it takes 2 people to kiss” Charlie said.

“No, it doesn’t. I kissed him and he pulled away. He didn’t want it to happen. It was all me” Ruby said and Charlie exhaled lightly.

“Well what happened Rubes, how did this kiss happen?” Charlie asked

“I was upset last night and he came home and he was so sweet with me and he was there to comfort me and then I just felt like I wanted to kiss him” Ruby said

“Okay” Charlie nodded. “So maybe you were just caught up in the moment of it all” Charlie suggested.

“I don’t know” Ruby said as she shook her head. “I just don’t know” She looked back up at Charlie and Charlie smiled lovingly at her daughter as she wiped the tears away from her face.

“You’ll work your feelings out Rubes. But you know you can’t act on them Ruby” Charlie said and Ruby nodded.

“I know, and I won’t” Ruby said “And mum, please don’t tell Nicole”

“Of course I won’t Ruby” Charlie said as she ran her hands through Ruby’s hair before putting it behind her ear. “Where is she anyways?” Charlie asked

“Her and Jessica went to stay with Roman in the city for a few days” Ruby said and Charlie nodded just as Callum started to cry. Ruby sighed as she looked over to the cot.

“I’ll go” Charlie said. It had been a few days since she saw her grandson and the truth was she was missing always having him around. She walked over to the cot and looked down at Callum with a big smile on her face. “Hey baby” Charlie said as she picked him up and almost immediately he stopped crying. She cradled him in her arms and smiled down at him. He looked up at her, with his big blue eyes and waved his arms excitedly before smiling. “Gosh he looks so much like Xavier” Charlie said before quickly looking up at Ruby wondering if she said the wrong thing.

“I know” Ruby smiled “You know it is Xavier’s birthday today” Ruby said sadly before looking down at her left hand and running her finger around her wedding ring.

“Oh gosh Ruby I’m sorry, I totally forgot” Charlie said as she took a seat on the bed again.

“No, its fine” Ruby said. “You’ve been through a lot lately mum. With the fire and James being about, you’ve just had a lot on your mind” Charlie looked up at Ruby and smiled.

“I still should have remembered, for you” Charlie said

“It’s fine, honestly” Ruby said before looking down at her watch. “I should really get going to the city though. Gina and I are going to visit his grave then, well I’m not sure what else yet really, but we’re going to do stuff” Ruby said and Charlie nodded before giving Callum a kiss goodbye and handing him over to his mother. She gave Ruby a hug goodbye before she left the house and drove back to Morag’s place.

Chapter 14

Ruby pushed the pram down the path and on to the beach. She sighed lightly before she stopped in the spot where she was. She picked up her young son before she took a seat in the sand and looked out to the ocean. She watched as the waves lapped gently against the shore. She watched as she saw a couple with their young son building sandcastles and felt sadness that her family wouldn’t get the chance to do that.

“Hey, you alright?” Ruby heard a voice and she turned around and stared up at the tall blond who was learning against his surf board.

“Sorry, I was a million miles away” Ruby said “What did you say?”

“I asked if you were alright” the man said and Ruby nodded her head.

“Yeah, I’m fine” Ruby said and the man smiled.

“Are you quiet new here? I’ve seen you around only a few times” he said

“Well not really” Ruby said “I spent most of my teen years here, moved to the city when I was 20 then came back here about 4/5 months ago” Ruby said.

“Really, you’ve been here that long?” The man asked “How come I haven’t seen you around much then?”

“I’ve been going through quite a bad time” Ruby said “Stayed in my mum’s house mostly or I went out late and got drunk” Ruby said

“Oh” he said

“Yeah nothing I’m proud of now” Ruby said “But I was going through a bad time” Ruby stopped talking and looked away from the man.

“Everyone has those” He said and Ruby nodded.

“Yeah” Ruby said

“So, who’s your mum then?” The man asked

“Charlie Rosetta” Ruby told him.

“Ah, you’re Ruby” The man said and Ruby shot him a surprised look.

“How do you know that?” Ruby asked feeling slightly confused.

“You know, just things you hear around the town” he said

“Oh” Ruby said

“What kind of things have you been hearing?” Ruby asked

“Just stuff about your husband and then that you were living here again” He said and Ruby nodded. “So, what about you, how long have you lived here?” Ruby asked keen to change the subject from Xavier.

“About 7 months now” The man said and Ruby nodded.”I love it here”

“Yeah, me too. I’ve really missed living here” Ruby said

“So you reckon you will be staying for long then?” He asked and Ruby shook her head.

“I don’t know. We will just have to see what happens” Ruby said just as Callum started to cry. “Well I better get this guy home for his bottle” Ruby said as she stood up. “But it was nice talking to you”

“Yeah, you too” the man smiled and he watched as Ruby walking away.

“It’s positive” Charlie said as she stared down at the test.

“Positive?” Angelo questioned what Charlie had just told him. “I don’t understand. How can you be pregnant?” Angelo asked as he rubbed his forehead.

“Because we had sex Angelo” Charlie spat as she threw the test down into the sink before putting her hands on the edge of the sink and leaning over it. “You know pregnancy can often occur after that” Charlie said.

“Charlie, you know what I mean, we’re always careful” Angelo said

“Yeah, well you know nothing‘s 100 percent effective Angelo” Charlie sighed as she folded her arms and leaned against the bathroom wall.

“Right, yeah” Angelo nodded before exhaling lightly and for the next few minutes silence hit the room. “So a baby....we’re gonna have another baby” Angelo grinned as he walked over to Charlie and wrapped his arms around her waist. Charlie pushed his arms away as she looked down at the floor. “Charlie?” Angelo said as he placed his hand on her cheek. Charlie looked back up at Angelo as she bit her lip. “Look, I know it’s a bit of a shock, but a baby Charlie. We’re gonna have another little baby” Angelo smiled as he placed his hand on Charlie’s stomach. Again Charlie stood there in silence as she gently shook her head. “Charlie, what’s wrong? Talk to me” Angelo said as he took her hands in his.

“Angelo, I’m...” Charlie paused. She took a deep breath before speaking again. “I’m happy with the family we have. The kids we have. I have a grandson Angelo, this kid will be younger than its nephew” Charlie said “And we’re getting older to be having more kids”

“Charlie, we’re still in our 30’s” Angelo said “We’re not too old and what does it matter if this child is going to be younger than its nephew?” Angelo asked and Charlie sighed as she rubbed her forehead. “Charlie, don’t you want this baby?” Angelo asked and silence hit the room as once again Charlie looked away from her husband.

“I don’t know Angelo. I’m just a bit shocked” Charlie said. “We said we were finished having kids, it’s not like it was planned Angelo”

“Neither was Ava, but you kept her” Angelo said “What’s different now?”

“You’d just been sent to jail when I found out I was pregnant with Ava. It was like she was meant to be, like she came along to help me get though not having you” Charlie said and Angelo shook his head.

“What so if I wasn’t in jail would that have made a difference? Would you have considered a termination then because she wasn’t planned?” Angelo asked and Charlie shook her head.

“No. I wouldn’t have. I never once thought about not keeping her” Charlie said and Angelo nodded his head.

“So how can think about it now?” Angelo shouted

“When did I say I was going to get rid of this baby?” Charlie yelled.

“So, you want to keep it?” Angelo asked feeling slightly confused.

“No.....I don’t know Angelo. I just, I need time to think about it” Charlie said

“Charlie, that’s my child too, it’s not just your decision to make”

“Isn’t it?” Charlie said “Because what part do you play in carrying this child for nine months, in going though the morning sickness and back pain, the tiredness and everything else I am going to have to go through again, not to mention the giving birth part” Charlie shouted

“Charlie, I’m the father and that gives me the right to be part of this decision” Angelo said

“I know” Charlie said “But Angelo, if I want to get a termination then there’s not much you can do to stop me” Charlie said and Angelo shook his head.

“You know I can’t believe you Charlie. You kept your rapists baby yet you are contemplating getting rid of a child we made out of love” Angelo spat “If you were going to abort any child it should have been her” Angelo yelled and Charlie shook her head in disgust at Angelo’s comment before storming out the bathroom and slamming the door shut.

Thank you all so much for your lovely comments. :)

Chapter 15

Charlie walked down the stairs and into the kitchen to find Morag had just made a fresh jug of coffee. Taking a cup out of the cupboard Charlie picked up the coffee jug and poured herself a cup before walking over to the fridge and taking out the milk and pouring some into her cup. “Should you be drinking that?” Morag asked as she pointed to the cup that was almost at Charlie’s mouth. Charlie looked round at Morag in confusion.

“Why shouldn’t I be?” Charlie asked the look of confusion still present on her face.

“Well” Morag said as she pointed down to Charlie’s stomach “Sorry, I could help but hear your little argument last night” Morag said and Charlie sighed as she placed the cup down on the worktop.

“One cup won’t hurt” Charlie said before folding her arms and leaning herself against the kitchen worktop.

“Charlie, you can tell me it’s none of my business but are you really going to have a termination?” Morag asked.

“Your right” Charlie said “It’s none of your business” Charlie picked up the cup of coffee from the worktop and made her way across the kitchen. She took a seat at the table and put her head in her hands before sighing. “But to answer your question, well honesty, I can’t” Charlie said as she looked back up at Morag. Morag picked up her coffee cup and walked over to the table and took a seat next to Charlie. She smiled at her before taking her hand into hers.

“That’s great Charlie. I know this was a shock for you but once this little baby is born you’ll....”

“No, Morag that’s not what I meant” Charlie said “I meant I can’t answer your question because I don’t know what I’m going to do” Charlie looked away from Morag as she bit her lip. “Angelo’s really happy about it. He wants this baby so much...” Charlie paused. “But....I just don’t feel the same. I can’t get excited about it” Charlie said.

“Charlie correct me if I am wrong, but you’ve only just found out about this haven’t you?

“Yeah” Charlie nodded “Just took the test last night”

“Okay, so you’ve not even had 24 hours to think about this Charlie. Let yourself get used to the idea of having another baby and I’m sure in no time you’ll be excited about this” Morag said

“You think?” Charlie said

“Yes” Morag said half hopingly but put a smile on her face as she saw one appear on Charlie’s. Charlie sat in silence for a few minutes, looking deep in thought.

“I have to talk to Angelo” Charlie said and Morag nodded.”Do you know where he is? I haven’t spoken to him since last night and when I woke up this morning he was gone”

“He hasn’t appeared back from taking the kids to school yet” Morag said “Unless maybe he went straight to work after that” Morag suggested and Charlie shook her head.

“He had a day off today” Charlie said before standing up. “I’ll go look around town” Charlie said before giving Morag a hug. “Thank you” Charlie smiled before she left the house. Charlie found Angelo sitting on the beach. She walked across to him and stood next to him. He looked up at her before quickly looking away again and returning his gaze out to the ocean. Charlie sighed lightly before she took a seat next to Angelo. She took a deep breath before speaking. “Angelo, I….”

“I’m sorry” Angelo said as he interrupted Charlie. “What I said about Ruby. I didn’t mean it, well I did, but I didn’t” Angelo stopped talking and looked around at Charlie. She sat there staring at him, not saying anything but just waiting on Angelo to make sense. Waiting on him to find the words for what he wanted to say. He took a deep breath before trying again. “I just meant that if you were going to abort a baby then it would seem more likely that it would be your rapist’s baby and not your husbands. I just don’t understand how you can keep his baby but you’re going to get rid of mine”

“I didn’t know” Charlie paused as she looked down at the sand and picked up a clump before letting it slowly fall through the small gaps she made between each finger. ”I didn’t know I was pregnant until it was too late to do anything about it”

“Oh, so if you did know early enough would you have…” Angelo stopped talking mid sentence and looked down at Charlie who shook her head.

“I don’t know” Charlie said “I think my parents would have wanted me too considering my age and the circumstances, but even then I don’t think I could I have went through with it. It’s not the baby’s fault, why should it be punished, denied the chance at a life”

“But it would understandable if you had” Angelo said “Giving the circumstances of its conception” Charlie nodded as she felt a tear rolling down her cheek. “Hey, what’s for?” Angelo asked as he wrapped his arm around Charlie and gently rubbed her arm.

“Because it’s Ruby. How can I sit here and agree that it would have been understandable if I aborted her. My Ruby. My little girl” Charlie said as the tears became heavier. “I’m glad that it was too late because I couldn’t imagine my life without her. She’s the most important person in my life, don’t get me wrong me Angelo I love you and the kids so much, just as much, but Ruby, she’s…”

“I know” Angelo said as he pulled Charlie closer to him and she rested her head against his chest as she wiped away the tears. They sat in silence for a few minutes before Charlie sat up and looked at her husband.

“Angelo…about the baby I-”

“Don’t” Angelo said “Not yet”

“But Angelo we need to talk about this” Charlie said

“Please, Charlie just give me more time before you tell me. I just want more time” Angelo said convinced that Charlie was going to tell him she was having a termination. Charlie nodded feeling slightly confused.

“Okay” Charlie smiled before she leaned her head against Angelo again. Angelo wrapped his arms around Charlie and placed a kiss on the top of her head. After a few minutes Charlie quickly sat up.”What time is it?” Charlie asked and Angelo looked down at his watch.

“9.45, why?” Angelo asked

“Remember I told Ruby on Tuesday that we would watch Callum today. Her and Nic are going to that spa that just opened just passed Yabbie Creek” Charlie said

“Oh right, well we best get home then” Angelo said as he made to stand up. They walked along the beach before walking up the path and making their way back to the house to find Ruby and Nicole standing waiting on them with the kids.

“Hey Rubes sorry, I totally forgot” Charlie said as she put her hand on her daughters shoulder.

“How could you forget about you grandson?” Ruby asked sounding rather annoyed.

“Sorry, I’ve just have something on my mind” Charlie said

“Oh, is everything alright? Anything you want to talk about?” Ruby asked as Charlie looked up at Angelo before looking back at Ruby and shaking her head.

“No its fine, you go off and enjoy yourself” Charlie smiled.

“Okay, if your sure” Ruby smiled. “Oh and is it okay if you watch Jessica too?” Ruby asked “Just that Irene was supposed to watch her but she’s had to go into work”

“Yeah” Charlie said as she rubbed her forehead. “It’s fine”

“Ah thanks Charlie” Nicole smiled “She doesn’t really like taking her afternoon nap now but try and get her to take it otherwise she’ll start play up around dinner time and you don’t want that” Nicole said and Charlie nodded.“Oh and she is potty training right now so make sure you ask her every now and then if she needs to go and I’ve packed a few changes of outfit in case of an accident” Nicole said as she handed over a bag of changing clothes for her daughter to Angelo. “She’s had a few of them lately” Nicole said. “Oh and also at lunch time don’t let any of the different foods on her plate touch or she will freak out big time and you have to start all over again” Nicole said and Charlie and Angelo exchanged a look with each other before looking back round at Nicole.

“Anything else?” Angelo asked tentatively as he pulled a worried face at what he was about to let himself into.

“No, that’s all. Thanks guys” Nicole smiled before she knelt down and gave her daughter a hug. “You be good for Charlie and Angelo” Nicole said and Jessica nodded. “And you tell Charlie when you need to go potty, okay” Nicole said.

“Yes” Jessica nodded before running over to Charlie and grabbing hold of her hand. “Bye mummy” Jessica said as waved with her other hand.

“Bye” Nicole said before they walked down the path and into Ruby’s car and drove off. Angelo picked Callum up out of the pram and walked into the house followed by Charlie and Jessica.

Charlie walked down the stairs after finally getting Jessica to take her afternoon nap. She laughed slightly as she watched Angelo trying to change Callum’s nappy. “It would help if you put it the right way” Charlie said as she gently pulled the nappy out from under the baby and turned it round. “See these little bears, they go to the front. And these tabs here go to the back so we can fold them over and stick them to the front of the nappy so it stays on” Charlie said and Angelo laughed at the tone she was using.

“Sorry” Angelo said “It’s been a while since I’ve changed one of these” Angelo said and Charlie nodded. “Oh and thanks for speaking to me like I am one of the kids” Angelo teased as he wrapped his arms around Charlie’s waist and pulled her closer to him. He leaned forward and was about to place a kiss on Charlie’s lips when she shoved the nappy in his face.

“Well you better get practising again” Charlie said “I’m not changing them all” Charlie smiled as she placed her hand on her stomach. Angelo looked down at her and a big grin appeared on his face.

“You’re keeping the baby?” Angelo beamed and Charlie nodded as Angelo lifted Charlie into his arms and span in a circle. He put Charlie down again and looked and her before placing a kiss onto her lips.

“But Angelo” Charlie said as she pulled back. “I just want you to know that although I am keeping this baby, I ‘m not...” Charlie paused as she looked away from him.

“You’re not what?” Angelo asked as he placed his hand on Charlie’s cheek and gently pushed her face back to face him.

“I’m not that excited about it yet” Charlie said “At least, not as much as you. But I’ll get there, I know I will” Charlie smiled and Angelo nodded as he wrapped his arms around Charlie’s waist.

“I know you will” Angelo smiled as he placed a loving kiss on Charlie’s forehead.

Thank you all so much for you lovely comments. They really keep me going.

Chapter 16

Charlie was making her way out of the house when she saw Angelo walking in and towards her. “Hey, I was just coming to look for you” Angelo said and stopped walking and stood in front of Charlie. “Are you alright?” Angelo asked and Charlie nodded.

“Yeah, I’m fine” Charlie said.

“Have you been sick again?” Angelo asked and Charlie nodded.

“Just a little bit” Charlie said “But I feel fine now”

“Are you sure? Because we can go home if you want?” Angelo said and Charlie shook her head.

“No, honesty, I am fine now” Charlie said “And besides the kids are having fun”

“Well we can leave them here and they can come home with Morag later” Angelo said “Charlie you don’t look great maybe you should go home for a lie down” Angelo suggested and Charlie shook her head.

“No, Tony and Rachel invited us around here for lunch so we are going to stay” Charlie said.

“They’d understand if you left Charlie”

“They don’t even know I am pregnant Angelo” Charlie said

“Well we could tell them” Angelo suggested and Charlie shook her head.

“No, not yet” Charlie said “Let’s just wait till after the first scan”

“But I want to tell people Charlie. I’m just so excited about this” Angelo said

“Yeah and you have to understand that I am not” Charlie shouted. “I want to be excited about this Angelo. But right now I am not there and if we tell people and I can’t even get excited about it then I’m going to feel….” Charlie stopped talking and looked down at the floor.

“Okay, we’ll wait” Angelo said as he walked forward and pulled Charlie into a hug. Angelo was keen to tell everyone straight away but so far it was only Morag and Ruby who knew about Charlie’s pregnancy.

“After the first scan” Charlie said. “Maybe when I see our baby for the first time, the first time I hear the heartbeat….”

“You’ll feel differently” Angelo said finishing off Charlie’s sentence.

“Well that’s what I am hoping” Charlie smiled. “Now let’s get back outside” Charlie said as she made her way out of the house and Angelo followed.

“Angelo we lost because of you” Sophie shouted. “You were supposed to be our goalie but you just walked away and left the goals open” Sophie said in annoyance.

“Wouldn’t have made a difference Sophie” Miles said “He didn’t save one anyways” Miles laughed.

“Yeah daddy you were rubbish” Ben said “But I wasn’t, I scored 2 goals” Ben said as he held up two fingers.

“Ah soccer is boring” Emily said “Cant we talk about something else?”

“Yeah like daddy moving back home” Olivia beamed. Miles, Leah, Tony, Rachel, Morag, Charlie and Angelo all shot a surprised look around at Jack.

“How do you know that Olivia?” Jack asked his eldest daughter.

“Well I listened” Olivia said

“Listened when?” Jack asked

“Last night when you brought us home. I listened to you and mummy talking” Olivia said

“Oh right” Jack said

“Is this true Jack?” Morag asked and Jack nodded.

“Eh, yeah” Jack said as he rubbed his forehead. “We were going to tell you all together but yeah. We’ve been talking about it for a while now. I’m going to move back in and we are going to try again”

“Ah Jack that’s great” Leah said

“Yeah mate. I’m glad you two have finally seen sense” Tony shouted from across the patio where he was busy cooking the food on the barbeque.

“So, this house you have been renting, how big is it?” Angelo asked

“Ehm 3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, big kitchen and living room, big back garden. Why you asking?” Jack asked.

“Well I think we should find somewhere else to stay” Angelo said as he looked round at Charlie. “I don’t want to outstay my welcome at Morag’s and I’m pretty sure the kids are already driving her crazy and we...”

“Charlie are you alright?” Rachel spoke over Angelo as she saw how pale Charlie had turned.

“Yeah, I’m fine” Charlie spoke quietly “I’m just going to grab a class of water” Charlie said before she stood up and attempted to walk away from the table. She took a few shaky steps before she fell to the ground.

Ruby walked back into the house after being out for a walk with Callum to find Geoff and Nicole in the middle of an argument. “I can’t believe you Geoff” Nicole shouted.

“I’m sorry Nic” Geoff shouted “It was only an accident”

“What different does that make” Nicole shouted “It still happened” Ruby eyes widened as she put together the words of their argument. She couldn’t believe he had told her. He promised he wouldn’t and agreed it was be silly to tell her.

“Nic it was me it was my fault” Ruby said and Geoff and Nicole both turned around to face Ruby.

“What?” Nicole said

“The kiss it was me. It was all me. Don’t blame Geoff” Ruby said

“What kiss” Nicole shouted as she looked back round at Geoff. Geoff stood there staring at his wife. Ruby put her hand over her mouth as she realised that she’d made a mistake and they were weren’t arguing about the kiss after all. “Someone answer me. What kiss” Nicole shouted but again silence filled the house. “Geoff” Nicole shouted

“I...I...we kissed. A few weeks ago. I’m so sorry Nic it didn’t mean anything” Geoff said

“How did it happen?” Nicole shouted and Geoff and Ruby both stood there in silence. “How did it happen” Nicole screamed.

“Nic just calm down and we’ll talk about it” Ruby said

“Calm down?” Nicole said “Calm down? Ruby you pashed Geoff” Nicole shouted. “Why should I be calm?”

“I’m sorry. Please don’t blame Geoff. It was all me. He didn’t want it to happen” Ruby said

“I want you to leave” Nicole said

“What?” Ruby said

“Nic don’t you think that’s a bit extreme?” Geoff said.

“No and you be quiet or I’ll ask you leave too” Nicole said. “Just get out Ruby” Nicole shouted.

“Nic. Just let me explain things and -”

“Out. Now” Nicole shouted as she pointed to the door.

“Okay, okay. I’ll go” Ruby said “Just let me collect my things and then I will be out of your way” Ruby said before running up to her room and packing her stuff away.

Charlie opened her eyes to find she was now in Rachel’s house lying on a bed. Rachel and Angelo were staring down at her. “Charlie” Angelo said when he saw she had come round. “You fainted”

“I’m fine” Charlie said as she tried to sit up. Rachel placed her hands on her friend’s shoulders and gently pushed down causing Charlie to lie still in the bed.

“So how far along are you?” Rachel asked as she looked down at her friend.

“You told her?” Charlie raised her voice as she shot a look of annoyance at her husband.

“You’d just fainted Charlie, I was worried. I had to tell her” Angelo said and Charlie sighed before looking back around at Rachel.

“I don’t know” Charlie said “We found out about a week ago. We have a scan tomorrow so I guess we will find out more then”

“Aww that’s great news” Rachel smiled as she gently squeezed her friends shoulder. “I didn’t know you guys were trying again”

“We weren’t” Charlie said

“Oh right” Rachel said “Well still a new baby. You must be excited”

“Yeah” Angelo beamed

“And what about the kids? Are they excited for a new brother or sister?”

“We’ve not told them” Charlie said “Only Morag and Ruby know. We were going to wait till after the first scan” Charlie said before giving Angelo another glance.

“Well don’t worry, I won’t say anything” Rachel smiled

“So what would have made her faint?” Angelo asked

“Well it’s been a hot day today so the heat could have had something to do it and she could be dehydrated” Rachel said and Angelo nodded.

“But the baby will be okay?” Angelo asked

“Yeah” Rachel nodded “It’ll be fine”

“Are you sure? I’d like her to get checked over” Angelo said

“Angelo, Rach just said it’ll be fine” Charlie said as she sat up in the bed.

“I know Charlie but I’d just feel better about this if you got a scan to make sure” Angelo said

“Angelo we’re getting a scan tomorrow and Rachel said the baby will be fine, she’s a doctor Angelo, trust what she is saying” Charlie said.

“Okay” Angelo sighed before nodding his head. “But I think we should go home now and you can rest”

“I’m fine now Angelo” Charlie said

“Charlie” Angelo said and Charlie rolled her eyes before looking up at Rachel.

“Will you tell him” Charlie said

“I think Angelo is right. You should go home and have a lie down, take it easy” Rachel said and Charlie nodded.

“Right okay” Charlie said “I’ll go get the kids then” Charlie said as she stood up from the bed.

“Let the kids stay. They can come home later with Morag. You’ll get more peace to rest that way as well” Angelo said and Charlie nodded.

“Okay, well thanks Rachel” Charlie said

“No problem” Rachel smiled as she walked them out of the house. Angelo drove them home to find Ruby sitting waiting for them on the doorstep.

“Hey, Rubes what’s up?” Charlie asked as she saw Ruby’s tear stained face. She bent down and placed her hand on Ruby’s shoulder.

“Nic found out about me and Geoff. She asked me to leave the house” Ruby said

“Aww Rubes” Charlie said as she pulled her daughter into a hug.

“Ruby and Geoff?” Angelo said “What happened?” Charlie looked up at him and gave him the ‘I’ll tell you later' look and Angelo nodded his head understandingly. “Let’s get inside yeah?” Angelo said and Ruby and Charlie stood up and walked into the house and Angelo pushed the pram in after them.

There was a figure standing watching in the distance. “So this is where you have been hiding” James said as he watched them walk into the house. A smug grin appeared on his face before he turned around and walked away to work up his next plan.

Thank you all so much for your lovely comments. They make me smile. :D

Chapter 17

“Look Charlie, there’s our baby” Angelo smiled as he took hold of Charlie’s hand. “Aww look at it” Angelo beamed. Charlie forced a smile on her face as she fought back the tears that were desperate to escape her. They were not tears of joy but instead tears of sadness and guilt that wanted to be cried for Charlie could still not get herself to feel excited or happy for this baby. “Aww sweetheart” Angelo said as he saw a tear roll down Charlie’s cheek. “I knew you would feel differently once you saw the baby”

“Yeah” Charlie forced another smile as she wiped away the tear from her face. Angelo gave her smile before turning to face the doctor.

“So, is everything okay? How far along is she?” Angelo asked

“8 weeks” The doctor informed them. “Now let’s see if we can find that heartbeat” he said.

“Aww Charlie listen can you hear it?” Angelo said excitedly as he heard the faint beating sound of his baby’s heart for the first time. Charlie sat in silence as she fought back another tear that was desperate to fall from her eye. It was bad enough she couldn’t find it in herself to be the slightest bit happy but seeing Angelo acting the way he was made her feel even worse about herself. “Charlie” Angelo said as he looked around at his wife.

“Yeah, I hear it” Charlie voice came out in a whisper although it was not intended.

“I’ll give you two a minute” The doctor said before walking out of the room. Angelo looked round at Charlie and placed a kiss on her forehead. “Aw Charlie I can’t wait for this” Angelo said as he placed his hand on her stomach. “I’m glad you’re getting excited now too” Angelo smiled.

“Yeah me too” Charlie lied. She knew keeping the truth from him was wrong but she didn’t know how to tell him she still wasn’t that excited about this baby. Especially at seeing how happy he was. She felt bad and ashamed with herself that she couldn’t get excited.

“So what do you think it’s going to be? I think it’s a boy” Angelo said and Charlie shrugged her shoulders.

“I don’t know” Charlie answered “I don’t care what it is really” Charlie said and Angelo nodded.

“It would be nice to have another boy to even things out” Angelo said. “You know since we already have two girls and only one boy” Angelo said and Charlie nodded.

“Yeah I guess” Charlie said

“Although saying that as long it’s healthy then I don’t really mind what it is” Angelo said. “Although I still think it’s a boy. I just have a feeling” Angelo smiled as he gently rubbed Charlie’s stomach before the doctor walked back into the room and handed Charlie some tissue so she could wipe the gel from her stomach.

“So your next scan will be at 12 weeks” The doctor said before handing Angelo the appointment card as Charlie pulled her top down and sat up in the bed. He also handed along the scans of the baby that he had printed off for them before he led them out of the room.

“Let me see it” Ruby shouted as Charlie and Angelo walked into the house and she noticed the scans in Angelo’s hand. She ran up to him and took the scans from his hand. “So how far along are you then?” Ruby asked as she looked up at her mother.

“8 weeks” Charlie said before walking over to the fridge and talking out a bottle of water.

“Let me see Ruby” Ava shouted as she grabbed the scans from Ruby’s hand. Angelo and Charlie had told the kids about the new baby before they had went to the hospital. Ava was pleased with the news although expressed that she wanted a little sister this time. “I don’t see it” Ava said as she stared down at the scan. Mummy where’s the baby?” Ava asked as she ran over to Charlie.

“There” Charlie said as she pointed to the spot where the baby was. “That’s it”

“What that little grey blob?” Ava asked “That’s the baby?”

“Yup” Charlie said and Ava pulled a face.

“Doesn’t look much like a baby to me” Ava said before she threw the scans at Charlie and ran out of the room.

“So are you going to find out what you are having?” Ruby asked

“Yeah, I really want to find out this time” Angelo said before looking down at Charlie. “What about you?”

“Yeah fine. Whatever you want is fine with me” Charlie said and Angelo smiled.

“Great” Angelo said as he walked forward and wrapped his arms around Charlie’s waist. “Well I need to go to work. Bye baby” Angelo said as he looked down at Charlie’s stomach briefly before looking back up and making eye contact with Charlie. “And bye to you too” Angelo smiled before planting a kiss on her lips. “I’m so glad you are getting excited for this baby now” Angelo grinned before giving his wife another kiss.

“Eh yea” Charlie said as she forced a smiled. “Me too” Angelo smiled back at his wife before he left the house. Ruby looked round at Charlie and noticed she was trying to hold back the tears.

“What’s wrong?” Ruby asked as she took a few steps forward and placed her hand on Charlie’s arm.

“I’m not” Charlie paused as she bit her lip and a tear rolled down her cheek. “I lied to him Ruby. I’m still not excited but when we saw the scan I told him I was” Charlie said. “Ruby when I looked at that screen and saw the baby Angelo was so excited but I couldn’t feel anything. Why don’t I feel anything?” Charlie asked as a tear rolled down her cheek. Ruby took Charlie’s hand in hers and led her through the house and they took a seat on couch. Ruby took a deep breath before turning to face Charlie.

“Throughout my pregnancy with Callum I felt a whole mix of emotions. At first I was delighted and then I was scared and then I was excited and then I felt nothing. For the whole of my pregnancy those emotions just went around in a cycle. You can’t expect to just feel happy about this baby all the time. Especially when it was unplanned. You still need time to get used to the idea” Ruby said

“Angelo’s known the same amount of time as me and he’s only ever been excited” Charlie said

“Yeah, but you’re not Angelo. Everyone is different and you have to go through so much more that Angelo so its okay for you to be more hesitant about getting excited for this” Ruby said. “But mum no matter what you feel throughout this pregnancy, I have no doubts in my mind that as soon as your new baby is in your arms you will feel that same overwhelming rush of love that you felt when Ava and Ben were born” Ruby said as she placed her hand on top of Charlie’s. “And that’s all that matters” Ruby said and Charlie felt a smile appear on her face.

“And you” Charlie said “That feeling of love, I felt it with you to Ruby” Charlie said

“I know you would have” Ruby smiled. “But mum please don’t lie to Angelo about how you are feeling about this either. Just be honest with him”

“I know I should be honest with him but when he is as excited as he is its kinda hard to be” Charlie said “You’ve have no idea how bad he is making me feel for not being happy about this pregnancy”

“It’s not as if he is doing it on purpose. He is just excited” Ruby said

“I know Rubes but it’s just a bit much” Charlie sighed.

“Look, mum just be honest with him and I am sure he will back down a bit” Ruby said and Charlie smiled at her eldest daughter.

“Yeah your right. About everything, thanks Rubes” Charlie said as she wrapped her arm around her and pulled her into a hug.

After spending the morning at the beach Charlie, Ruby and Ava went up to the Diner to get some dinner. “Mummy” Ava said.

“Yeah?” Charlie asked

“Well I just wanted to say I’ve like this morning being just us girls” Ava smiled “I’m glad granny Morag took Ben and Callum out”

“Yeah me too” Charlie smiled “It’s been good”

“Yeah it has” Ava smiled. “Mummy?” Ava said again

“Yeah?” Charlie said

“Well when this new baby comes will we still have days when it’s just me, you and Ruby?” Ava asked

“Yeah of course we can” Charlie said and Ava smiled.

“Mummy?” Ava asked again.

“Yes Ava” Charlie said

“Well I’m just really happy that you are having a new baby. It will be fun to have a new baby and I will help you with nappies and baths and stuff” Ava said and Charlie smiled at her youngest daughter. “Mummy?”

“Ava” Charlie said once again.

“Are you excited for this new baby too?” Ava asked and Charlie bit her lip as she looked around at Ruby.

“Yeah, of course I am” Charlie said before she placed her hand on her stomach and rubbed it gently and hoped that one day soon she would feel something for the life that was growing inside her. Charlie looked around at Ruby as she saw Nicole walking into the Diner. She glanced quickly over at Ruby before looking away and walking to the opposite end of the Diner and taking a seat.

“So” Charlie said before pausing, “I guess things haven’t improved with Nicole?” Charlie asked tentatively although at the same time she found herself quiet relieved that the subject could now change from the baby.

“She won’t talk to me” Ruby said sadly as she looked down at the floor. “I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve tried to call her but she just keeps cutting the call off. I’ve ran into her a few times but she just walks away. Ruby said. “I just want a chance to explain and tell her how sorry I am” Ruby said “It’s all I want” Charlie smiled sympathetically at her daughter before she turned around as she heard Nicole shouting.

“Jessica, come here” Nicole shouted as she ran across the Diner after her daughter.

“Rubee” Jessica said as she reached the table. “Hi Rubee”

“Hey Jessica” Ruby spoke as Nicole finally caught up with her daughter.

“Jessica, I said you can’t see Ruby” Nicole said as she picked her daughter up and started to walk away from the table not making any sort of contact with Ruby.

“Rubee” Jessica cried as she was carried away by her mother.

“Nicole, wait” Charlie shouted as she stood up. Nicole turned around and looked at Charlie.

“What?” Nicole spat

“Just let Ruby say what she wants to say” Charlie said “Please don’t let this ruin your friendship. You two were such good friends”

“Well she should have thought about that before she kissed my husband” Nicole shouted

“Nic please” Ruby pleaded “Just 5 minutes it’s all I want” Ruby said and Nicole sighed heavily before nodding her head.

“5 minutes” Nicole said. “We’ll go outside. Charlie can you watch Jessica for me?” Nicole asked as she looked round at Charlie.

“Yeah sure” Charlie smiled and Nicole sat her daughter down on Charlie’s knee before walking out of the Diner with Ruby following after her.

Thank you so much Sarah, carywary, freckleface, Laura, Barbara, callyha, charlie29 and Laura for you lovely comments. They really keep me going and they make me smile! :D

Chapter 18

Nicole leaned herself against the fencing just before the beach and looked out at the ocean. Ruby stood next to her and the two girls stood there in silence. “Well, you wanted to explain so go ahead” Nicole spoke coldly not making eye contact with Ruby. After a further few minutes of silence followed before Ruby eventually spoke.

“I’m so sorry” Ruby said “I-”

“Actually don’t” Nicole said as she put her hand out and touched Ruby’s arm. “I don’t want to know. I just want to forget about it” Nicole said “I don’t want to know how it happened”

“Nic” Ruby said

“Rubes, I’m hurt that you kissed Geoff and knowing that is bad enough. I don’t want to know the details of how it happened” Nicole said

“Right” Ruby said quietly. “So what happens now then?” Ruby asked and Nicole sighed lightly before turning to face Ruby.

“ I never thought you would do that to me but your mum, she right, we’ve been friends for too long to let a little meaningless kiss get in the way of that. You hurt me Rubes and it’ll take a while for me to fully trust you again and to forgive you for what happened but you’re my best friend and that’s not going to change” Nicole said and Ruby smiled.

“Thanks and I really am sorry” ” Ruby smiled before the girls embraced in a hug.

“I know” Nicole said as she pulled back. “But please stop saying that now”

“Okay, sorry” Ruby said and Nicole pulled a face before both girls let out a small laugh. Nicole put her arm around her friend as they turned to face the ocean. “So what are things like at home with Geoff?” Ruby asked

“Well I made him sleep on the couch for a few days but things are back to normal now. He knows how to get back into my good books again” Nicole said and Ruby laughed.

“Good because you know it wasn’t his fault so I would have hated to have ruined anything between you two” Ruby said.

“Well everything is fine now” Nicole smiled “So let’s not talk about this anymore, agreed?” Nicole asked.

“Agreed” Ruby smiled before both girls walked back up the path and into the Diner. As Charlie saw the smiles on their faces as they walked in together she smiled knowing that they had sorted this out.

“Thanks for that Charlie” Nicole smiled as she approached the table.

“It was no problem” Charlie said and Nicole smiled.

“C’mon you, let’s go get our lunch” Nicole said as she held out her hand for her daughter. Jessica jumped down from Charlie’s knee and took hold of her mother’s hand. “Well, I’ll see you later” Nicole said as she looked round at Ruby and Ruby smiled as she nodded her head.

“Yeah cool” Ruby said before Nicole walked away.

“So I guess you guys sorted things then?” Charlie asked

“Yup we did” Ruby smiled

“Good, I am glad you did” Charlie said before the 3 of them left the Diner and make their way back home.

Charlie was kneeling on the floor in the bathroom as she reached for the toilet paper and pulled some off before wiping it across her mouth. “Charlie, are you alright?” Angelo asked as he knelt down beside her as he held her hair back before he gently rubbed her back.

“Don’t” Charlie said as she threw the paper into the toilet before standing up and flushing it away. She walked across the bathroom and picked up the glass from the shelf before pouring herself a class of water. She turned around and leaned herself against the bathroom wall and sighed before a tear rolled down her cheek.

“Hey, Charlie, what’s that for?” Angelo asked as he took a few steps forward and placed his hand on Charlie’s arm and gently rubbed it.

“I don’t know” Charlie sniffed as she wiped the tear away from her cheek. “I just....I....I don’t know why” Charlie said and Angelo pulled Charlie forward and into a hug. He kissed her head softy as he gently rubbed her back. Charlie quickly pulled back from the hug and ran back across to the toilet as another wave of nausea passed over her. Once again Angelo held her hair out of the way and rubbed her back but once again Charlie shrugged him off. “Please just don’t, just leave me when I’m being sick” Charlie said and Angelo nodded his head and handed Charlie a tissue.

“Okay, whatever you want” Angelo smiled.

“It’s never been like this before” Charlie said as she turned around and leaned herself against the wall. “I’ve never actually been sick before. With the others I always felt nauseous but I’ve never been this sick” Charlie said

“Is it normal?” Angelo asked with concern for his wife.

“Yeah” Charlie nodded. “Some women hardly have any morning sickness, some women get it a lot, some women can be really sick some women aren’t” Charlie said and Angelo nodded as he moved closer to Charlie and put his arm around her.

“Surely it’s not going to be like this throughout all your pregnancy?” Angelo asked and Charlie shrugged her shoulders.

“Normally it’s gone by the first trimester” Charlie said “Although some women can have it throughout all their pregnancy”

“Right” Angelo nodded “When’s the first trimester over?” Angelo asked sounding confused.

“12 weeks” Charlie said and Angelo nodded. “So there’s at least 3 more weeks of this” Charlie sighed.

“Hopefully the worst is over” Angelo said as he gently rubbed Charlie’s arm. “Listen I was going to go back in to work tonight. We’ve had some developments....” Angelo trailed off. “But if you want me to stay at home with you then I can” Angelo said

“No, its fine, you go back to work” Charlie said as she stood up from where she was sitting.

“Are you sure because I can easily stay” Angelo said as he got up and followed Charlie out of the bathroom.

“I’m positive. Just go back to work Angelo” Charlie said “And what do you mean developments? Charlie asked confused.

“Uhm” Angelo hesitated “We think we might have found where James has been hiding out” Angelo said “We are going to go check it out and see if he is there” Angelo said and Charlie nodded and her eyes widened.

“Where do you think it might be?” Charlie asked

“The warehouse when he had Ava. I can’t believe I didn’t think about that place sooner” Angelo said as he looked down at his watch. “But I should go. I said I would meet Jack 10 minutes ago”

“Oh, well I’m sorry for keeping you late” Charlie said

“Hey, I didn’t mean it like that” Angelo said. “You were sick Charlie, I didn’t want to leave you” Angelo said as he took Charlie’s hand in his and rubbed it gently. “And if you need me, just call and I’ll be right back okay” Angelo said and Charlie nodded.

“Be careful Angelo” Charlie said, her voice filled with worry.

“I will” Angelo smiled as he gave her a kiss on the forehead before leaving the house.

Angelo and Jack walked into the room cautiously and Angelo’s eyes kept going from left to right, left to right as he desperately tried to keep himself aware of his surroundings. Angelo jumped as he heard a banging sound and quickly looked behind him holding his gun out in front of him. He lowered his gun as he found Jack cursing through gritted teeth as he rubbed his side. “Watch you don’t walk into the table” Angelo said. Jack cursed once more before making his way further into the room. He walked in the opposite direction as Angelo and past a row of empty storage shelves to find a sleeping bag, empty drink bottles and empty food packets.

“Angelo” Jack shouted as he turned around and looked around the room for his friend. Angelo ran quickly across to where Jack was standing and looked down at the find. Angelo looked up at the wall and was shocked at what he found.

“Oh my God” Angelo said as his eyes scanned all the pictures that had been stuck to the wall.

“What is it?” Jack said as he walked up behind his friend. Jack looked up at Angelo and noticed his eyes were open wide as he stared at the wall in front of him. Jack looked up to find the wall was covered in photo’s and writing. There was a picture Grant and underneath was written ‘I will get justice’. The next picture was of Angelo and written underneath were the words ‘You will pay’. Scanning his eyes across the rest of the pictures he saw Charlie, Ava and Ben and underneath their photo’s ‘Who will pay?’ was written with the thick red marker pen. Moving his eyes to the next picture Jack read ‘May 22nd’ underneath the picture of Ruby. The next picture, which was one of Charlie and Angelo’s house, had the date ‘May 23rd’ written underneath and lastly, a picture of Morag’s house and underneath was written ‘June 20th’.

“What do all these dates mean?” Jack as he looked round at Angelo.

“May 22nd” Angelo said as he rubbed his forehead as he desperately tried to recall that day in his mind and any events that could have occurred on that day. “Ruby got attacked” Angelo said. “Then May 23rd, that was the night of the fire” Angelo said before his eyes shot a glance at the next date. “June 20th, June 20th” When was that”? Angelo asked worriedly as he turned to face Jack. “Jack” Angelo shouted as the other man stood in silence. Jack jumped slightly in surprise at Angelo’s sudden tone. “When was it?” Angelo shouted again.

“Today” Jack said as his eyes widened. “It’s the 20th today”

Wow Jess, thank you so much for that comment. I really appreciate that you have left a comment about every chapter. It made me smile loads! :D Thanks to everyone else for you comments too! :)

Chapter 19

James paced around the room with the gun in his hand as Charlie sat terrified on the couch where she had been instructed to sit. “So” James said as he stopped moving and turned to face Charlie “I will ask you one more time to call her down here” James shouted.

“I told you. She’s not here” Although Charlie was trying to her best to stay calm and not show James that she was scared, she spoke with fear in her voice.

“Stop lying” James yelled as he grabbed tightly onto Charlie’s arms.

“I’m not I swear” Charlie said as she winced at the grip that James had on her.

“But you are” James yelled as he tightened his grip on Charlie.”You see, I know you are because I have been watching this house all day” As James spoke a smug grin appeared on his face. “I’ve seen who’s left and I’ve seen who’s not. That old lady left, your daughter and her baby left and then your husband left, but that’s all. So I will give you one last chance to get me that lovely little girl of yours” James spat and Charlie shook her head. “Okay” James said “If she’s not here you won’t mind me having a look up the stairs then will you?” James asked as he let go of Charlie and made his way across the room to the stairs.

“No” Charlie shouted as she ran after James and grabbed onto his arm using all her strength to try and pull him back. James swung his other arm around and struck Charlie hard in the stomach. Charlie doubled over in pain as she grabbed onto her stomach. The blow to the stomach had winded her and she was struggling to catch her breath. This allowed James more time to break away from Charlie and get to Ava. After taking a moment to catch her breath Charlie ran up the stairs to find James standing at the other side of the hall with a now awake Ava standing in front of him.

“Don’t move” James said as he pointed his gun at Charlie. Charlie stopped in her tracks and looked at her daughter.

“Please, don’t harm her. Do what you want to me but just don’t hurt her” Charlie pleaded with James who let out a smug laugh.

“Don’t you get it” James yelled “I want to hurt you like your husband hurt me. If it wasn’t for your lies about my brother none of this would have happened” James yelled

“Mummy what’s happening?” Ava asked as she looked round at James who had a tight grip of her shoulder. “You promised me this man wouldn’t come back”

“Oh so you remember me. How touching” James smirked

“James, please” Charlie said as a tear rolled down her cheek. “I’ll do anything you want, just let Ava go”

“No” James shouted “I want you to lose someone you love. I want you to know how I felt when you took Grant from me” James shouted “So say goodbye to your little girl” James smirked.

“Mummy, I don’t want to go” Ava cried as she desperately tried to get away from the man. Charlie took a few steps forward, getting closer to where James was standing with her young daughter.

“I said don’t move” James yelled.

“Mummy” Ava cried

“Please James, there must be some other way we can sort this out” Charlie cried. “I can help you. You don’t want to go back to jail do you? I can sort something out so you leave here and will never be found again” Charlie said hoping that this would appeal to James and lead him to setting her daughter free. James looked like he was contemplating the idea.

“No, that way doesn’t get justice for my brother’s death” James said

“James please, what would Grant think of you right now? Do you think he would want you to do this? Do you think this would make him proud of you?” Charlie asked.

“Don’t you speak about my brother” James shouted

“He wouldn’t want you to do this” Charlie said

“Yes he would” James shouted “He would want me to do this for him”

“No he wouldn’t” Charlie said “And deep down I think you know that” James looked up at Charlie and nodded his head “Please just put the gun down and give me Ava back” Charlie said

“And you can help me get away?” James asked and Charlie nodded. James slowly put the gun down on the floor and took a few steps forwards keeping a tight grip on Ava. Just as he was about to let go of the girl he heard a noise outside, the sound of a car pulling up and doors slamming shut and male voices.

“What’s that?” James asked “You called someone?”

“No, I didn’t I swear” Charlie said and James shook his head.

“You’ve been setting me up” James shouted as he lifted Ava into his arms.

“No” Charlie cried

“Mummy help” Ava shouted as she struggled in his arms. Charlie ran forward and tried to get Ava from him but James pushed Charlie causing her to fall back and hit her head on the wall. James started to run down the stairs with Ava still in his arms but he lost his footing and they both went tumbling down the stairs.

“Ava” Angelo shouted as he burst through the door and ran over to the bottom of the stairs and took his daughter in his arms. James jumped up and tried to make a run for it but Jack was quick to catch him and cuff him.

“I’ll take this one into the station” Jack said as James struggled in Jacks arms.

“Thanks mate” Angelo said before Jack left the house. “Hey, baby you okay?” Angelo asked as he rubbed his daughter’s forehead.

“My arm” Ava cried “It really hurts. I want mummy” Ava said as the tears fell down her cheeks.

“Charlie, where are you? Are you alight?” Angelo shouted as he stood up and lifted his daughter into his arms.

“I’m fine” Charlie shouted as she appeared at the top of the stairs rubbing the side of her head.

”Charlie where is Ben?” Angelo asked worriedly as he made his way up the stairs. Once he reached the top he wrapped an arm around Charlie and pulled her closer to him. She wrapped her arms around him and held him tightly as a tear rolled down her cheek.

“Ouch, my arm. You’re squashing me” Ava shouted.

“Sorry baby” Charlie said as she pulled back from the hug and gently rubbed her daughters back.

“Charlie, where’s Ben?” Angelo asked again as panic and fear plagued his voice.

“He’s never been out the bedroom” Charlie said and Angelo put Ava down before running into the room to find Ben was still asleep in his bed. He exhaled lightly before walking over to the bed and rubbing his son’s forehead.

“He still asleep?” Charlie asked as she walked into the room with Ava clutching onto her and Angelo nodded.

“Yeah, gosh that boy could sleep through a bomb blast” Angelo laughed

“Just like his dad then” Charlie said as she sat down on the bed and Ava sat up on her knee.

“Charlie are you alright? Did he hurt you?” Angelo asked he wrapped his arm around her and gently rubbed her back.

“I’m fine” Charlie said as she leaned her head against Angelo’s chest before wincing as she placed her hand over her stomach. “Well he did knock me hard in the stomach when I was trying to stop him getting to Ava” Charlie paused “and now it really hurts”

“Okay. We should probably go to the hospital anyways to see about Ava’s arm, so we can get that checked out when we get there” Angelo said before he kissed Charlie softly on the head. Although Angelo tried to stay calm as he spoke, inside he was really overcome with worry for his unborn baby.

Wow. Thank you so much Rach loves H&A, lilprincess, ~JarlieFanEver~, Hannah-K, freckleface, charlie29, callyha, twinkletoesjess, Sabrina, charmed60, mellbell86, Barbara and xXxTEMPZxXx for your lovely comments. They make me smile loads and I appreciate every one of them!

Chapter 21

“So Ava, how did you manage to do this?” Rachel asked after finding Ava was her next patient and taking her through to the room with Charlie and Angelo close behind her. Angelo had called Morag and told her what had happened at she came home early from Alf’s to watch Ben while they were at the hospital.

“The man fell down the stairs with me” Ava said quietly as she kept her gaze firmly on floor and kept one hand tightly squeezing Charlie’s. Rachel looked up at Charlie and Angelo with a rather confused expression on her face.

“James” Angelo said “He was at the house. Caused a bit of trouble with Ava and Charlie but luckily Jack and I arrived on time and we got him” Angelo said and Rachel nodded her head.

“Oh gosh. Well I’m just glad no one got really hurt” Rachel said “Charlie are you alright?”

“Fine” Charlie smiled and Angelo pulled a face at her.

“Well actually” Angelo said as he shot Charlie a confused look “She got a bad hit to the stomach and was saying it really hurt. Could something have happened to the baby?” Angelo asked with worry present in his tone.

“Well I’m not going to lie to you” Rachel said “There is a chance that something might be wrong but the baby is very well protected in there so it’s most likely to be fine” Rachel said and Angelo let out a small sigh of relief. “But we can get a scan after I’ve looked over Ava’s arm” Rachel said and Angelo nodded. “So Ava, can you try to wiggle your fingers for me?”

“No” Ava said “It’s hurts too much” Rachel looked up at Charlie who then bent down to her daughters level and gently ran her hand through her hair.

“Ava sweetie, you need to do what Rachel asks you so she can make your arm better” Charlie said and Ava nodded her head as she listened to what her mother told her.

“Ouch” Ava cried as she tried to move her fingers.

“Okay” Rachel nodded “And what about your wrist? Can you move that for me?” Ava slowly tried to move it but stopped very quickly.

“No I won’t. It’s too sore” Ava said

“Okay, looks like she’s broken a bone” Rachel said as she looked up at Charlie. “We’ll get that x-rayed and see what the damage is” Rachel said as she stood up from the chair and looked down at Ava. “Do you want to come with me and we have a look at that?” Rachel asked.

“Can mummy come with me?” Ava asked as she grabbed onto Charlie with her good arm.

“Of course I can sweetheart” Charlie said as she placed her hand on Ava’s head before looking up at Rachel. “I can go with her can’t I?”

“Well yes parents can be there when a child is getting an x-ray, but it’s probably best if you’re not” Rachel said

“Oh right yeah” Charlie said. “Sweetie mummy can’t come with you because of the baby but daddy will go with you” Charlie said as she ran hand her through Ava’s hair. Ava looked up at Angelo for a minute for looking back at Charlie.

“Okay, but I wanted you to” Ava said sadly as she looked back at Charlie. “But I guess daddy can come” Ava said before looking back up at Angelo who looked somewhat disappointed that his daughter didn’t really seem to want him to be with her. They walked out of the room and along to radiology and took a seat in the corridor where they waited for the radiographer to come and take Ava for her x-ray.

Ruby walked back down the stairs after giving Callum a bottle and joined Morag on the couch. “What’s taking them so long?” Ruby asked as she looked round at Morag with a look of pure worry on her face. “Oh God what if Ava is really hurt?” Ruby said before placing her head in her hand and started to rock herself gently back and forth in the couch.

“Ruby, darling” Morag said as she placed a hand onto Ruby’s back. “Ava was walking and talking and looked fine when they left the house. She’s probably just broken her arm” Morag said trying to reassure Ruby of her sister’s state.

“What about the baby?” Ruby said. “You said Angelo told you mum got hurt? What if something happened to the baby? Angelo will be crushed” Ruby said “I have to go to the hospital. I need to see them” Ruby said before she stood up and took a few steps away from the couch.

“Ruby” Morag said as she reached her hand out and grabbed onto Ruby’s wrist before she could walk away.

“Stay here” Ruby exhaled lightly before she sat back down on the couch.

“I just want to know” Ruby said “I want to know if everything is okay”

“I know” Morag said “And I do too but Rubes they will be back here as soon as they know” Morag said as she placed a hand onto Ruby’s shoulder. “And you know maybe this accident will come off good in the long run for Charlie” Morag said and Ruby shot a confused looked at her.

“What do you mean?” Ruby asked

“Well you know because she could have lost this baby so maybe she will realise how much she does actually want it” Morag said.

“Oh. You know about that?” Ruby said as she screwed her face up.

“I do” Morag nodded. “A few nights ago I couldn’t sleep so I came down to the kitchen to make myself a hot drink and I saw Charlie sitting at the kitchen table. She was just sitting there staring into space. I think it took her a few minutes to realise I was talking to her” Morag said before pausing. “Anyways I asked if she wanted to talk about anything and she told me everything about how she was feeling” Morag said and Ruby nodded.

“Well I hope you are right then” Ruby said “Especially since Angelo is so excited. It can’t be easy on mum”

“Yes well, Charlie should be honest with Angelo and tell him how she feels and maybe he will back down a bit”

“I know. I’ve tried telling her that but you know what she can get like” Ruby said and Morag nodded.

“Well hopefully as I said this accident helps her feel excited or at least a bit more positive about this baby” Morag said

“Yeah I hope so too” Ruby sighed.

Rachel, Charlie, Angelo and Ava walked back into the room and Rachel instructed Ava to sit on the chair and rest her arm against the table with her palm facing up the way. Charlie sat on the spare seat and Angelo stood next to her. “So Ava, what colour of cast would you like me to put on you?” Rachel asked.

“I can choose a colour?” Ava asked

“Yeah” Rachel said “It can be any colour you want”

“So I could get a blue one?” Ava asked and Rachel nodded.

“If blue is what you want” Rachel said and Ava shook her head.

“No I don’t like blue. Can it be green?” Ava asked and Rachel nodded “Or yellow or orange?” Ava said and Rachel let out a small laugh before nodding.

“Any colour you want” Rachel said

“What about red? Or purple?” Ava said

“Ava” Angelo raised his voice. “It can be any colour you want”

“Okay. I was just checking” Ava shouted before she looked round at Charlie. “Mummy can I have a pink one?”

“Of course you can” Charlie said and Ava smiled before she looked around at Rachel.

“Pink please. It’s my favourite colour” Ava said and Rachel nodded her head as she smiled at the young girl before she started to put the cast on her. “Did you know pink was what I would pick?” Ava asked as she looked up at Rachel. Rachel looked at the girl who was wearing pink pyjamas and her hair was tied back with a pink bobble and she gently nodded her head.

“I thought you might” Rachel laughed before she finished putting Ava’s cast on her.

“How long will I need to wear it for?” Ava asked

“Oh, about 6 weeks” Rachel said

“That’s long” Ava said “Rachel do you know I’m go to have a baby brother or sister again?” Ava asked and Rachel nodded. “I hope it’s a girl but daddy wants a boy. Ben doesn’t want anything he says he is the baby” Ava said. “What do you want mummy?” Ava asked as she looked around at Charlie.

“Ehm, I don’t mind” Charlie said and Ava pulled a face.

“Right” Rachel said “that’s you finished Ava” Ava jumped up off the chair and along to where Charlie was sitting. “Do you to want to come along and we will get that ultrasound done?” Rachel said and Charlie nodded before she stood up and made to walk out of the room. She turned around and looked at Angelo who hadn’t moved.

“Angelo?” Charlie said “Are you coming?”

“Yeah sorry. I’m just scared” Angelo said and Charlie exhaled lightly as she walked back into the room and took Angelo’s hand in hers.

“You heard what Rachel said” Charlie said “It’s more likely that everything’s fine”

“I know” Angelo said “But there’s still a chance it’s not Charlie” Angelo said before he took a deep breath. “Okay, let’s go” Charlie and Angelo left the room and followed Rachel down the hall and into another room. Ava sat on the chair outside the room with Nurse Julie for company while she waited on her parents. Angelo took Charlie’s hand into his and rubbed it gently as he watched the screen hoping to be told his baby was going to be okay. Rachel exhaled lightly before getting a more worried look on her face. “Rach? What is it?” Angelo asked as he noticed the look on her face. Rachel remained silent as she stared at the screen and muttered something under her breath. “Rach” Angelo said before rubbing his forehead.

“I can’t” Rachel paused as she bit her lip. “I can’t find a heartbeat”

Archived