I'll Always Be Here

Guest Danni02

Thank you all so much for the comments. :wub: I hope you like this next one. This one moves forward a little in time.

Chapter 93

Ruby lay in her bed, listening to the little noises she could hear coming from her son, as he lay awake in his cot. She exhaled lightly as she lifted her hand up to her necklace, and tightly clasped Xavier’s ring in her hand, as she felt her eyes well up. Taking a deep breath, she kicked the covers from herself and got out of bed and walked over the cot and looked down at her son. “Hey baby” Ruby said softly as she picked Callum up. “You know what Mummy wants to do?” Ruby said as she looked down at her son. “She wants to stay in bed all day today, because she’s been dreading having to live this day” Ruby said as she climbed back into her bed, and leaned herself against the headboard, as she sat Callum down next to her. Exhaling lightly as she looked down at her son, whose big blue eyes were staring up at her, she gently cupped her hand around the back of his head. “Oh baby, you look so much like your Daddy” Ruby jumped slightly as there was a knock at the door. “Come in” Ruby said as the door opened and Ruby smiled lightly as she saw Charlie walking into the room. Callum let out a squeal and started shake in excitement on the bed as he saw his grandmother. “Hey to you too baby” Charlie cooed as she lightly rubbed Callum’s cheek, before sitting down on the bed.

“So” Charlie said tentatively as she looked to Ruby. “How are you feeling about today?”

“What?” Ruby questioned “You mean my baby sister coming home from the hospital. I think that’s…”

“Rubes” Charlie said, as she tried her best not to show too much excitement that she would soon be going to the hospital to bring her baby girl home. “I meant -”

“I know what you meant” Ruby sighed “But I just thought talking about Chloe coming home would be a nicer conversation to have than the first anniversary of Xavier’s death”

“Well I’m sorry that this day fell on such a hard one for you. Here’s me and Angelo getting to bring our baby home and it’s on a day that you need -”

“No, Mum” Ruby shook her head “I’m so happy that Chloe is well enough to come home. And I like that it’s today because it brings some happiness into the day, were we’d otherwise be all sad and….” Ruby trailed off as she pursed her lips together. “Chloe’s been in hospital for almost 11 weeks. You must be overjoyed that she’s coming home. Please don’t try to hide that in front of me today, you’re allowed to feel like that, it’s a huge thing that’s happening for you and I don’t want to take anything away from that. You don’t need to worry about me and how I feel today”

“Yeah, but this is a pretty huge day for you too, so you’ve got to let yourself feel what you want to feel. Don’t think you can’t show your upset today, because it is going to be a hard day for you, and with Chloe coming home, I don’t want you to feel like you have put on a front and be happy” Charlie said as she lightly rubbed her daughters arm.

“Believe me, I won’t” Ruby said as she shook her head. “If I’ve learnt anything from grieving after Xavier’s death then losing the baby, It just shows bottling it all up does way more harm than good, so from now on I’m always just going to let myself feel what I want to feel” Charlie smiled lightly at her daughter as she listened to what she had said. “And, Mum, I have you to thank for that. You have really helped me these last two months since I lost the baby and I know I’d still be bottling a lot of feelings up if it wasn’t for you always being here for me and listening. And more importantly for showing me that drinking alcohol wasn’t going to solve any of my problems. You’re just always here to listen to me and I just want you know that I really do appreciate that” Ruby said as she stood up from her bed and walked over to her chest of drawers, lifting an envelope up from on top of it, and making her way back to her bed. Callum crawled across the bed to where Charlie was and put his hands onto her leg as he looked up at her. Charlie smiled as she sat her grandson down on her knee. “So I wanted to give you this” Ruby said as she sat back down and held her envelope out in front of her.

“Rubes” Charlie exhaled as she took the envelope from Ruby. Callum stretched his hands out and tried to grab the envelope in his hands. “You want help me open it” Charlie said softly as she looked down to Callum who giggled as Charlie spoke to him. Gently removing Callum’s hand to release the grasp he had on the envelope, Charlie opened it, to find Ruby had bought her a gift certificate for the spa, just passed Yabbie Creek. “Rubes” Charlie gasped “Thank you so much, but you didn’t need to get me anything” Charlie said as she looked down to her daughter.

“I did” Ruby said “I just want you to know how much I appreciate everything you do for me. And you’ve been watching Cal a lot more for me now too since I started working, I just wanted to get you something nice to say thank you, and I thought a day at the spa would be nice and relaxing, and give you a break from everything else”

Charlie smiled once more at her daughter, as she wrapped her arm around her and gave her a hug. “Well I’m going to need some company when I go, so how about me and you make a day of it one day soon?”

“Yeah” Ruby smiled “I’d like that”

“Good” Charlie smiled “So, what are you going to be doing today?” Ruby took a deep breath as she watched her son pulling at the bracelet that was around Charlie’s wrist. “Be careful mister” Charlie whispered to Callum, as she moved his hand from her bracelet, before looking back up at her daughter.

“What do I want to do today?” Ruby questioned “Lie in bed and not have to deal with anybody. What am I going to do today?” Ruby said as she played with her wedding ring “I’m going into the city to see Gina. We are going to Xav’s grave, and ehm….I don’t know” Ruby shook her head “But I’ll be home at one point to see Chloe before you attempt to put her down for the night”

“Mum” Ava shouted as she ran into the room, before Charlie had a chance to reply to Ruby. “There you are. Are we going to the hospital now?” Ava asked as she looked at Charlie, before she looked down to Callum and lightly tickled him, resulting in him to burst into laughter.

“Well you’re Dad and I are going to the hospital” Charlie said “You are going to school”

“Aww no Mum” Ava sighed “I wanted to come and get Chloe too” Ava’s bottom lip started to tremble.

“Sweetie you need to go to school” Charlie said “You’ll see Chloe when you come home”

“But Mum” Ava said sounding like she was about to burst into tears.

“But nothing Ava” Charlie said “You’re going to school, now c’mon we should really get going” Charlie said as she stood up from the bed and put Callum down onto it next to Ruby. Ava sighed heavily as she ran from the room.

“See you later Rubes” Charlie smiled “And thanks again for this” Charlie said as she held her gift up.

“You’re welcome” Ruby smiled “And, yeah bye”

“Bye bye Cal” Charlie said as she waved to Callum and Callum smiled as he copied Charlie’s hand actions, and continued to do so, even once Charlie had left the room.

“Who’s a clever boy” Ruby cooed as she lightly tickled her son. “Right baby” Ruby said as she stood up from the bed and lifted her son into her arms. “Time to get ready to go see Granny Gina” Ruby took a deep breath as she tried to prepare herself for getting through the day.

Charlie stood in the room, cradling Chloe in her arms, as she looked down at her, a big smile on her face. “Hey baby, you’re coming home today” Charlie spoke softly, the smile not leaving her face. It had been a long 11 weeks for her, and she just couldn’t wait to take her baby home. Despite Chloe needing a 3rd blood transfusion, the rest of her stay in the NICU went without further complications or problems, and she began gaining weight at a healthy rate and took quickly to feeding from Charlie, once she was taken off the feeding tube. After 7 weeks on the CPAP she was taken off and was able to breathe almost perfectly on her own, although she still occasionally suffered an apnea attack, but with them also reducing greatly over the weeks, David had given the okay for Chloe to be able to go home although he had expressed that he wished to keep her on the monitor for a while longer. Although Charlie was unsure about taking her home still on the monitor, Angelo, Erin and David had all assured her she would be perfectly fine. They had been shown how to attach the monitor to Chloe when she was asleep and what to do if the machine was to go off.

“So, are we ready to take this little one home” Angelo smiled as he placed one hand onto Charlie’s back and cupped the other gently around Chloe’s head.

“Yeah, we certainly are” Charlie grinned as she put her daughter into the car seat before turning to face Erin and David. “Thank you so much for all you’ve done. Really I…..” Charlie paused as she found herself welling up.

“It’s no problem” Erin said “Just doing our job”

“Yes” David agreed “I’d like to see Chloe for a check-up and to look at her apnea records next week” David said “Can you make Wednesday at 3?”

“Yeah that’s fine” Angelo answered before placing his hand onto Charlie’s shoulder and giving it a comforting squeeze.

“Okay, well we will let you get your daughter home” David smiled. Angelo picked up the car seat, as Charlie took the bag of Chloe’s things from Erin, before they both left the hospital. Angelo strapped the car seat into the car, before going to attach Chloe to her apnea monitor, as they had been instructed to do so while she was in the car, as well as when she was asleep.

“Make sure you do it right” Charlie said as she stood over him watching.

“I will” Angelo said

“What if you do something wrong and we won’t know she’s stopped breathing and….”

“Charlie” Angelo shook his head lightly as he turned around face her. He took her hands into his and rubbed them gently. “David and Erin showed us plenty of times, and we did it a lot with them watching us. We can do it fine. Don’t you trust me with this?”

“Of course I do but….I’m just scared Angelo. We are taking her home and she is still on a breathing monitor. I just don’t feel that comfortable with the idea, what if something goes wrong and she…” Charlie trailed off as she felt herself welling up with tears.

“C’mon there’s no way they would send her home if it was still bad with her. Charlie I know it’s a scary thought having her come home on this, but the main thing is that she is coming home. Our baby girl, Charlie, she’s finally coming home. And you heard David; they only reckon she’ll need to stay on this for a few more weeks, maybe even less”

“Yeah” Charlie nodded lightly as she listened to Angelo.

“And we should be thankful it’s just a breathing monitor she is coming home with” Angelo said as he tucked a loose strand of Charlie’s hair behind her ear. “To say she was so early and she has next to nothing wrong with her, Charlie that’s great”

“Yeah, yeah it is, I know” Charlie smiled weakly before she took a deep breath.

“Now, let’s get this little one home, yeah?” Angelo smiled as he looked down into the car at his daughter. Charlie nodded lightly as she followed Angelo around the back of the car and got into the back seat, sitting in the middle next to Chloe’s seat. “Why are you sitting in the back?” Angelo questioned as he turned his head around in the car to face Charlie.

“I just want to sit with her. Now drive carefully” Charlie said as she kept her gaze on her daughter, whose big blue eyes were staring up at her. Angelo smiled lightly at his wife, before the drove them back to their house.

Charlie was standing in Chloe’s bedroom looking down at her daughter as she slept in her cot, watching closely for her little chest to rise up and down as she took each breath. “Hey, I made you a coffee” Angelo said as he walked into the room and handed Charlie the cup. Charlie smiled as she brought the cup up to her mouth and took a drink, before pulling a face.

“No, you made me decaf crap” Charlie said

“Oh thanks for the coffee hunny” Angelo mumbled

“Hunny?” Charlie laughed “When have I ever called you hunny?”

“Eh” Angelo said as he lightly rubbed his forehead “I don’t know….” Angelo trailed off “So, anyways, are you going to stand up here and watch her sleeping all day?”

“No, not all day” Charlie shook her head “Sometimes she’ll be downstairs with us, awake”

“Charlie, you know watching her sleep, it’s not going to prevent her from having an apnea attack”

“I know, I never said it was” Charlie said as she looked from Angelo back down to her daughter.

“No maybe not, but that is why you have been standing up here watching her sleep for the last 20 minutes”

“Maybe so” Charlie said “Or maybe it’s because I am so used to standing watching her at the hospital that it feels weird not being in here with her”

“Charlie” Angelo exhaled lightly as he stepped forward and placed his hand on her arm. “You can’t stand and watch her all the time when…”

“Why not?” Charlie questioned “It’s not doing you any harm is it?”

“Well I am kinda lonely sitting downstairs by myself” Angelo mumbled before he gave Charlie a cheeky smile. Charlie exhaled lightly before she looked down at Chloe once again.

“Well you need to pick up Ben from nursery soon, so then you won’t be so lonely” Charlie said, keeping her gaze firmly on her baby.

“How do you think Ben will be with her then?” Angelo asked. Over the time Chloe had spent in hospital, Ben had only gone a handful of times to see his baby sister, and even then he didn’t seem all that interested with her.

“I don’t know” Charlie shook her head lightly as she looked back up to Angelo. “But we’ll soon find out”

“Yeah. I’m sure he’ll be fine” Angelo smiled as he tucked a loose strand of Charlie’s hair behind her ear. “So, you’re letting your coffee get cold” Angelo said as he looked down to the cup that Charlie was holding.

“Hmm shame” Charlie said before laughing lightly at the look on Angelo’s face. “Thank you very much for the coffee” Charlie said before she took a drink. “Hunny” Charlie laughed and Angelo laughed lightly before he wrapped his arms around Charlie’s waist and placed a soft kiss on her lips.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks everyone! :wub: I hope you like this next one. .. :unsure:

Chapter 94

Ben ran into the living room and over to Charlie who was sitting on the couch gently rubbing Chloe’s back as she winded her after her feed. “Hey Benny” Charlie smiled as she watched Ben climb up onto the couch next to her. “How was nursery today?”

“It was good” Ben said “I played in the sand pit and drawed pictures but I lefted them at school in mistake”

“Aww you’ll have to bring them home tomorrow” Charlie said

“Yes” Ben agreed “Mummy can you play with me?” Ben asked as he tried to climb up onto her knee.

“Ben, be careful” Charlie said “I’m holding the baby”

“But I wants a cuddle now” Ben said as he once again tried to get onto Charlie’s knee.

“Ben” Angelo said as he walked into the room “Be careful when Mummy is holding the baby”

“But I want to see Mummy” Ben said as he looked around to Angelo.

“And you can, but Mummy is with the baby just now, so you’ll have to wait till she is ready” Angelo said as he walked across the room and stood behind the couch and crouched down and gently cupped his hand around Chloe’s head. “How’s she been since I left to get Ben?”

“Great” Charlie said “We’ve had lots of cuddles and she took a good feed”

“That’s great” Angelo said, just as Chloe let out a little burp, before being sick over Charlie’s shoulder, and some of it running down onto her clothes.

“Oh baby” Charlie said as Angelo took Chloe from Charlie, allowing Charlie to carefully lift the burping cloth from her shoulder and folding it inwards, so the sick didn’t get anywhere else.

“Can we play now Mummy because you don’t have the baby” Ben asked as Charlie stood up from the couch.

“Ehm I need to put this in the wash and then change Chloe and then we can play okay” Charlie said as she looked down to her son.

“I want to play now” Ben cried before he jumped off the couch and ran from the room and the house. Charlie looked to the door before looking back to Angelo.

“I’ll go” Angelo said as he handed Chloe back to Charlie. He walked out of the house and found Ben sitting on the seat on the front porch. “Benny” Angelo said as he sat down next his son.

“When does she go back?” Ben asked as he looked up to Angelo.

“Go back where?” Angelo asked, slightly confused.

“The hopsital” Ben said

“She’s not going back mate” Angelo said as he lightly rubbed Ben’s arm.

“Why?” Ben asked

“Because she’s all better now, so she can stay at home” Angelo said

“Oh” Ben said sadly as he bowed his head down.

“Come on back inside” Angelo said as he stood up from the seat and held his hand out for his son to take. “Daddy will play with you till Mummy is ready” Ben sighed lightly before he jumped down from the seat and ran towards the garden.

“Let’s play soccer” Ben said as he ran towards one of his soccer balls that he had left in the garden.

Ruby took a deep breath before she rang the doorbell of Gina’s house. Although they had spoken on the phone to arrange this meeting, this was the first time Ruby would see Gina since having the argument over Ruby keeping the baby. She had been told about the miscarriage via Charlie, and the couple of times she been to the bay to see Callum, Charlie was the one who was there, giving the times Gina had come to see him, Ruby had been at work. As Ruby heard footsteps coming towards the door she took another deep breath as she shifted her son in her arms. “Ruby, hey come in” Gina said as she made a hand gesture into the house. Ruby smiled weakly at Gina before she stepped into the house and walked down the hall and into the living room with Gina following behind her. “Hey Callum” Gina cooed as she held her arms out and went to take him from Ruby, but Callum pulled himself back and buried his head against Ruby’s shoulder.

“He’s just really clingy with me at the moment” Ruby said as she saw the look of upset on Gina’s face. “He won’t go to anyone. Well expect from Mum, but anyone else and he just won’t have it”

“Right” Gina nodded sadly.

“He’ll come round after a while” Ruby said and Gina smiled lightly before silence hit the room. Ruby stepped back and took a seat on the couch, sitting her son down on her knee.

“Listen, Ruby” Gina said as she walked across the room and took a seat next to her. “I heard about the baby, I really am sorry” Gina spoke softly and she placed her hand onto Ruby’s arm.

“Don’t” Ruby shook her head “I don’t need your fake sympathy. You were never happy with me wanting to keep the baby so don’t say you’re sorry now”

“Ruby -”

“Just don’t” Ruby said “Please Gina, I don’t want to do this. Especially not today” Ruby said choking back tears that wanted to fall.

“I’m sorry” Gina said “Your right, we shouldn’t do this today”

“No” Ruby said, before once again Gina and Ruby fell into an awkward silence. Callum started to babble as he tried to grab onto Ruby’s watch from her wrist. “Oh Cal” Ruby said as she lightly ran her hand over his head. “I wish your Daddy was here to see you. I wish that….I wish you were able to know him” Ruby paused as she looked up to Gina, and saw a lone tear roll down her cheek. She held her hand out and lightly squeezed Gina’s arm as she gave her an empathetic smile. Gina smiled back at Ruby in the same way as she wiped the tear from her cheek.

“I’ve actually been thinking about that” Gina said “I’ve started to put together a memory box of some of Xavier’s things to give to Callum when he is older so he can have something of Xavier’s, that he can maybe get to see what he was like…” Gina trailed off as she looked to Ruby. “You don’t mind do you? It’s not something….”

“No no” Ruby shook her head “I think it’s a great idea. I should have thought to do something like that”

“Well we can work on it together” Gina said

“Can I see what you’ve got so far?” Ruby asked as she shifted her son in her lap.

“Yeah” Gina answered as she stood up and began to make her way out of the room. Ruby followed and walked down the hall and through the kitchen, before going down into the garage. When Ruby saw all the boxes of Xavier’s things she paused and brought one hand up to her chest, as she balanced her son against her hip with the other. She took a deep breath before she walked further into the room and stood next to Gina, both of them silent as they looked on at Xavier things. They had been boxed up in Gina’s garage from after Xavier’s death, neither Gina nor Ruby wanting to get rid of anything just yet, nor was Ruby ready to start looking through everything. As Ruby composed herself she walked across the room and held one hand out and gently ran it across the board that was leaning against the wall. “His surf board” Ruby whispered as she felt her eyes welling up with tears.

“Maybe Cal could use it one day” Gina said as she walked over to Ruby and tentatively placed her hand onto her shoulder.

“If he takes after his father there then maybe he shouldn’t bother trying” Ruby laughed

“He liked to give it a go” Gina smiled

“Yeah, he did” Ruby agreed before she looked up to Gina. “So where is this….” Ruby trailed off as she looked around the room.

“It’s over here” Gina said as they walked over to a shelving area and Gina picked up a shoe box from the shelf and laid it down on the worktop. “It’s in a pretty tatty box right now, but maybe we can get something nicer” Gina said

“I’m sure Cal won’t mind. Just as long as we can give him some things of his dad’s, I think he’d appreciate that” Ruby said as she looked down to her son and lightly rubbed his cheek with her finger. “Isn’t that right baby?” Ruby cooed. Callum smiled at his mother before he gave out a little laugh. As Gina took the lid off the box, the first thing Ruby noticed was a picture of Xavier holding their 12 week scan card in his hand and pointing to the baby, a big cheesy grin on his face. Ruby pursed her lips together as she reached out and picked the photo up. “He kept saying as soon as I got pregnant that it was a boy. He would only talk about boys names he was that sure he was going to have a boy. When we found out it was he was so excited and started planning all these father son bonding trips they could have” Ruby paused briefly as she felt a tear escaping her eye. Gina gently put her hand onto Ruby’s arm, in a comforting manner “I told him he’d have the rest of his life to do stuff with his son and that he should calm down a bit and help me through the rest of the pregnancy and concentrate on decorating the nursery first…..” Ruby trailed off “But I was wrong” Ruby cried as she looked back up to Gina “Because only a couple of months later he was dead….he didn’t get to be a father at all”

“Hey hey” Gina said as she wrapped her arms lightly around Ruby, giving her a comforting hug.

“I miss him so much, Gina” Ruby said

“I know. I miss him too” Gina said as a tear rolled down her cheek. “But he is always going to be with us. And I’m not just talking about because of this little guy” Gina said as she lightly rubbed Callum’s back. “He’s always going to be in here” Gina said as she placed her hand onto her chest, near her heart “And here, in our memories” Gina said as she lightly tapped Ruby on the side of her head. Ruby nodded lightly as a tear rolled down her cheek. She sniffed back some tears as she held the photo closer to Callum.

“Look Cal that’s your Daddy” Ruby said as Callum looked down to the picture before putting one of his hands on top of Xavier’s face. Looking down into the box, Ruby put the photo back, before she picked up Xavier’s watch and gently ran her finger across its face. “I got him this for our first wedding anniversary. I remember, we were out for a meal and I gave him the watch and he gave me paper and I…”

“He gave you paper?” Gina questioned

“Yeah” Ruby laughed lightly “He said he looked it up online and that the traditional gift for the first year was paper, so he actually gave me a pad of paper. I was so upset. I’d spent so much on this watch for him and he gives me paper. Of course when we got home he gave me my proper present” Ruby said “It was this lovely white gold bracelet with….” Ruby trailed off as she looked down to the box, fixing her eyes once more on the picture of Xavier with the scan of Callum.

“How about we leave this for now?” Gina said as she gently rubbed Ruby’s back, seeing how hard Ruby was finding it going through some of Xavier’s old things. “We can go get some lunch and then go up to the grave”

“Yeah” Ruby nodded as she placed the watch back down into the box “That sounds good”

Ava jumped out of the car and ran into the house as quickly as she could. She burst through the door, into the living room, expecting to find Charlie with Chloe, but she found the room was empty. She turned her head around and looked up to Angelo, who had walked in behind her and had placed his hand on her shoulder. “Dad where is Mum and Chloe?” Ava asked

“Eh, they must be up the stairs” Angelo said and Ava shot off up the stairs, with Angelo following closely behind. Ava ran into the nursery to find Charlie sitting on the rocking chair with Chloe in her arms, smiling down at her.

“Mum” Ava beamed as she looked down at her. “Can I hold Chloe?” Ava asked as she lightly cupped her hand around Chloe’s head.

“Go and get changed out of your school uniform first” Angelo said from behind her.

“Dad” Ava sighed

“Go on” Angelo said as he made a head gesture for her to leave the room. Ava let out another sigh before she ran out of the room. “Charlie, where is Ben?”

“In his room” Charlie said

“You’ve just left him on his own?” Angelo questioned “Charlie you know how much he wanted to play with you this morning but you didn’t do it because you kept making excuses to be with Chloe and here you are again with Chloe and not Ben”

“I didn’t make excuses” Charlie said “I said I would need to change her because she had sick all over herself. I wasn’t exactly going to leave her in sick covered clothes all day was I?”

“You could have let me change her” Angelo said “Charlie you don’t have to do everything by yourself, she’s my daughter too”

“Well I didn’t see you offering to do it” Charlie said “And I came out to play with Ben but then he didn’t want to play anymore because he was happy kicking the ball about with you”

“Right fair enough” Angelo nodded “What about now? You could be with Ben now, but yet here you are…”

“I’ve just fed her” Charlie raised her voice, cutting Angelo off “And for you information, Ben is in his room picking out a game that I was going to play with him once I’d put her down”

“Right” Angelo nodded “Sorry”

“What are......why are you being like this?” Charlie asked

“Sorry Charlie, it’s just you have been with Chloe a lot today and I want Ben to know he’s still important. He used to be the baby but now someone else has come along and took that from him, and I….”

“I know” Charlie said “But it doesn’t excuse you talking me like that”

“I know and I’ve said I’m sorry” Angelo said as he bowed his head down. Charlie shook her head lightly as Ava came running back into the room.

“Right Dad, I changed” Ava said “Can I hold her now?”

“Sure you can” Charlie smiled as she looked down at her daughter who had a huge grin on her face. “Come sit on the chair” Charlie said as she stood up and moved to the side, to allow Ava to sit down. Charlie gently placed Chloe into Ava’s arms. “Watch her head” Charlie said, as she gently moved Ava’s arm, so she had better hold of her baby sister. Charlie watched Ava, and smiled, as she saw her daughter staring down at Chloe, a huge grin on her face.

“Hey Chloe” Ava said “I’m really glad your home now, we’re going to have lots of fun” Charlie smiled at her daughter once more before she looked up to Angelo.

“So, I’m going to go play with Ben” Charlie said

“Yeah” Angelo nodded “I’ll stay with my girls” Angelo smiled as he walked over to the chair and crouched down next to it, placing one hand onto Ava shoulder, and cupping his other gently around Chloe’s head.

Thank you so much Cally, Rach Loves H&A, Charis and Sabrina. I hope you like this next one. :unsure:

Chapter 95

Charlie walked into Ben’s bedroom to find her son had pulled all his toys and games out from his toy box and they were now lying all over the bedroom floor. Exhaling lightly she walked over to her son, and sat down on the floor next to him. “Hey baby have you picked a game?”

“Ehm” Ben scratched the side of his head “None of them ones” Ben said as he pointed to the floor where all of his games and toys lay.

“Right” Charlie said “So what do you want to do?”

“Ehm” Once again Ben scratched the side of his head “Oh I know” Ben eyes widened as he started to flap his arms about in excitement. He stood up and ran across the room, before stopping in the doorway. “Come with me Mummy” Ben said and Charlie stood up and followed her son, who ran along the hall and down the stairs and into the garden.

“What do you want to do out here?” Charlie asked as she lightly ran hand over Ben’s head as she looked down at him.

“Make mud pies” Ben said as his eyed widened.

“Oh” Charlie screwed her face up, not loving the idea playing in the mud.

“Come on Mummy” Ben said as he pulled on her hand before he ran across the garden and over to the edge where the flowers grew, and where there was plenty of soil for him to play with. “Oh we need some water” Ben said “So we mash the mud up”

“Benny do you really want to make mud pies?” Charlie asked “Maybe we could play soccer or play with your Thomas train set?”

“No” Ben shook his head “Mud pies is what I want to do”

Charlie exhaled lightly as she ran her hand across Ben’s head. “Okay, I’ll go get you some water” Charlie said before she walked back into the house and filled up a jug with some water. She walked back out into the garden and back over to Ben who had already started to dig at the mud with his hands.

“Here you go” Charlie said as she put the jug down on the grass as she knelt down next to Ben. Ben smiled at his mother before picking up the jug, spilling some of the water over himself.

“Oooops it was heavy” Ben said before he poured some water into the little hole he had dug himself. “Mummy you have to play too” Ben said as he put the jug of water back down.

“Eh….I don’t know how to make mud pies” Charlie said “I’ll watch you”

“No” Ben shook his head “Mummy we have to make them together. I’ll show you” Ben said. He picked up the jug of water again and poured some over the soil near to Charlie. “Now you use your hands” Ben said “Like this Mummy” Ben put his hands back in the soil and started to mash together the soil and water. “It’s fun” Ben giggled. Charlie smiled as she watched her son having fun, before she copied what he was doing.

“So we do it like this?” Charlie said

“Yeah yeah that’s really good Mummy” Ben beamed before he picked up the jug and poured more water over the soil. Charlie laughed lightly at her son’s enthusiasm as the mud squelched through the gaps in her fingers. “We’ve got to make it into balls and pat it to a pie now” Ben said as he banged his hands together sending some mud flying and landing in his hair. “Oooops” Ben giggled “Oh a worm” Ben said excitedly before he wiped his hands down his t-shirt covering it in the mud in the process. He picked up the worm and dangled it out in front of him. “Look Mummy”

“Ben put it down” Charlie said

“Oh no, can I keep him Mummy?” Ben asked

“No, you can’t keep a worm” Charlie laughed as she brushed the mud from her hands, trying to clean it all off the best she could.

“Please” Ben begged “I will call him Nigel and I will keep him in my room”

“You can’t keep a worm in your room. They live outside in the mud” Charlie said

“Ehm…..we can put some mud in my room for him” Ben grinned

“No, Ben” Charlie shook her head as she laughed lightly “Put him down” Charlie said, noting he was still holding the worm.

Ben sighed lightly before he put the worm back down in the soil. “Bye Nigel” Ben said sadly. “I’m finished making mud pies” Ben said before he stood up and ran back into the house, as Charlie followed behind him. She washed all the mud from their hands, before wiping it from Ben’s hair and face.

“I think we need to get you changed out of these clothes” Charlie said and Ben nodded as he looked down to his t-shirt that he had covered in mud.

“Yeah” Ben giggled “But then can we build a fort?” Ben asked

“Yeah of course we can” Charlie said enthusiastically as she clasped her hands together. She led her son up the stairs and helped him change him out of his dirty clothes.

“Can we make the fort now?” Ben asked

“Yup we sure can” Charlie smiled

“Can we make it in the living room because it’s got more space” Ben said as he grabbed his pillows from his bed.

“Eh yeah” Charlie said

“You need to take this” Ben said as he looked down to his duvet. “It’s for a comfy seat”

“Right” Charlie nodded as she picked up her son’s duvet before following him back to the stairs. Lifting through the chairs from the kitchen, she put them down at a small distance from the couch, before getting a spare sheet and folding it over the couch and chairs.

“Wow” Ben said “You made it quick” Ben crawled into the fort before laying down his duvet and pillows. “Mummy bring in the cushions from the seats for me” Ben said and Charlie passed him in the cushions and Ben laid them neatly in his fort. “Mummy come in the fort” Ben said. Charlie crouched down and crawled through a gap between two of the chairs. She sat down next to Ben who wrapped his arms around her and gave her a cuddle. Charlie wrapped her arms around her son and placed a soft kiss on top of his head. “Mummy can I get some milk and cookies?”

“Course you can” Charlie said as she crawled back out of the fort and walked into the kitchen, and opened the fridge, taking out the carton of milk. She took Ben’s cup out of the cupboard and poured him a glass of milk before looking up to find Angelo walking into the kitchen.

“That’s Chloe down for her nap” Angelo said “Ava wanted to stay watching her, looks like we’ve got another you on our hands” Angelo laughed lightly before stopping after seeing the look on Charlie face. “So….what have you and Ben been getting up to?”

“We made some mud pies” Charlie said as she took a couple of cookies out of their box and laid them down on the worktop before going to put the box back into the cupboard.

“What like out in the dirt mud pies?” Angelo questioned

“Yes” Charlie nodded

“You played in the mud?” Angelo questioned, surprised.

“Yes, Angelo. I played in the mud with my son. It’s highly amusing, isn’t it?” Angelo sighed lightly before deciding to change the subject.

“Right, ehm, well if you wanted to go and see Chloe again….”

“Oh no” Charlie shook her head “I’m spending time with my son” She picked up the milk and cookies from the worktop before making to leave the kitchen.

“Charlie” Angelo said as he lightly took hold of her arm. Charlie sighed lightly as he looked up at her husband. “What, are you trying to tell me not to spend time with Ben now?”

“No, Charlie, I….”

“Angelo, just let me go” Charlie said and Angelo exhaled lightly before freeing Charlie’s arm from his grasp, and watched as she left the room.

“Hey, I’m home” Ruby shouted as she walked through the house into the living room. She found Charlie with Chloe in her arms, having just fed and winded her.

“Hey, your home earlier than I thought you’d be” Charlie said as she turned to face Ruby as she took a seat on the couch, and sat Callum on her knee. Ruby smiled weakly at Charlie before she looked down.

“Yeah, I’d just had enough of feeling down, and thought coming home and seeing my little sister would cheer me up” Ruby said as she looked at Charlie briefly before looking down at Chloe and gently running her finger down her cheek. “Hey, Chloe” Ruby cooed

“Rubes, you know if you wanted to talk….”

“Yeah, I know, but I’ve spoken to Gina a lot about things today, and I’m….I’m okay” Ruby smiled softly. Charlie smiled back at her daughter as she lightly rubbed her arm. “So, are you going to let me hold my baby sister?” Ruby asked, as she once again gently rubbed Chloe’s cheek.

“Sure” Charlie smiled “You’ll need to put this little guy somewhere though” Charlie laughed lightly as she gently tickled Callum under his chin, resulting in Callum bursting into laughter. Ruby put Callum down on the floor and he started to crawl away from the couch, before stopping and sitting himself down in the middle of the floor. Charlie then passed Chloe to Ruby, before looking across the room at her grandson. “Callum” Charlie said softly “Callum” Charlie said again and Callum looked to Charlie and stared laughing before he crawled across the room and stopped in front of Charlie and Ruby. He put his hands onto the edge of the couch before pulling himself up into standing. Charlie lifted him up and sat him down on her knee, before looking to Ruby, who was staring down at Chloe.

“So where is everyone?” Ruby asked as she took her gaze from Chloe and looked up at Charlie.

“The kids are playing up the stairs and I’m not sure what Angelo is doing to be honest” Charlie answered

“You don’t know what he’s doing?” Ruby questioned and Charlie shook her head before sighing lightly. “Something hasn’t happened, has it?”

“No, just…” Charlie trailed off as Angelo walked into the room.

“Hey Rubes. I didn’t expect you back so early”

“Do you want me to leave again? I just had that from Mum”

“No no” Angelo shook his head “Are you alright?”

“Fine” Ruby smiled lightly at her step-dad. “Had a few wobbles but I guess it’s just to be expected”

“Yeah” Angelo mumbled before looking down at Chloe who had fallen asleep in Ruby’s arms. “I’ll take this one up to her room” Angelo said as he stepped forward and took his daughter in his arms. As Angelo walked away with Chloe, Ruby bowed her head as a tear rolled down her cheek.

“Hey, Rubes” Charlie said as she lightly rubbed her daughters back.

“It’s just seeing Chloe….I lost my baby” Ruby said as more tears rolled down her cheek.

“Rubes, I’m sorry, I….”

“It’s not your fault” Ruby shook her head as she looked up at her mother. “I thought I’d moved on but just holding her there, it just…..it made me think….”

“I know” Charlie smiled sympathetically at her.

“I do want another baby” Ruby said as she wiped the tears from her face. “I want to meet someone else and settle down….I want to Cal to have a proper family”

“And you can have that” Charlie said softy as she shifted Callum in her lap. “You’ll meet someone else and you can have all the things you want with him”

“I don’t know” Ruby shook her head “I tried to move on with someone and look what happened there”

“What happened with Jay was just really unfortunate” Charlie said as she gently rubbed Ruby’s arm. “But don’t let that stop you trying again. You’ll find someone who genuinely wants to be with you and -”

“What if I like someone but then he won’t accept Cal?” Ruby asked

“Then he’s not worth it” Charlie said

“No, I guess he wouldn’t be” Ruby said as she ran her hand across the back of Callum’s head. “We want to find someone nice, don’t we Cal” Ruby cooed as he took her son into her arms. Callum started making noises in reply to his mother. “What you saying baby?” Ruby said as she sat Callum down on her knee.

“Ma” Callum said as he looked up at Ruby “Ma-ma”

“Ahh” Ruby gasped “He said mama” Ruby beamed as she looked up to Charlie. “Who’s a clever boy?” Ruby cooed as she looked down at her son.

“Callum is” Charlie lightly tickled him, resulting in Callum giggling.

“Mama” Callum said again as he grinned.

“Cal can you say na-na?” Ruby asked as she pointed to Charlie. Callum looked at Charlie and held his hand out before he started to babble.

“Don’t teach him to say nana” Charlie laughed as she lightly hit Ruby’s arm.

“Well it’s easier than Granny” Ruby said “And he will call you that one day, you are just going to have to get used to it” Ruby laughed before she once again looked at her son and smiled. “Let’s go get you some dinner” Ruby said before she stood up from the couch. “Wave bye-bye to nana” Ruby said as she waved at Charlie.

“Na” Callum waved

“Oh he nearly said it” Ruby laughed before she walked through to the kitchen to make Callum his dinner. Charlie exhaled lightly before she stood up from the couch and made her way up the stairs and walked into Chloe’s room to find Angelo standing over the cot, looking down at Chloe as she slept.

“So, who’s watching her sleep now?” Charlie asked as she stood in the doorway of the room.

Angelo turned his head up to face Charlie and laughed lightly “You can’t not. She’s just too cute”

“Must take after me then” Charlie grinned cheekily as she walked further into the room and stood over the cot, next to Angelo.

“She does that” Angelo smiled “Both of our girls do”

“Yeah and poor Ben gets the short straw and has to look like Daddy” Charlie said

“Ah” Angelo gasped, before laughing lightly at Charlie.

“No” Charlie laughed “He’s going to grow into a very handsome man if he’s like his Daddy” Angelo smiled before staring at Charlie silently for a moment.

“Look Charlie, I sensed you were kinda mad at me before for what I was saying and I….”

“No, its fine” Charlie shook her head. “I do get where you are coming from, but it’s just…..it’s her first day home and we can do what we want when we want with her, instead of needing to get permission to do things and being really restricted in what we can do with her, I just want to….”

“Yeah I know what you mean” Angelo said cutting Charlie off.

“Once we get her into a routine and things settle down we’ll be able to find that balance” Charlie said and Angelo nodded in agreement.

“Yeah we will” Angelo said as he wrapped his arm around Charlie gently rubbed her side. He placed a soft kiss onto the top of her head before looking back down at Chloe, and watched her as she slept.

Thank you so much Cally, Chester-Sam, Rach Loves H&A and Sarah for the comments. :wub: I hope you like this next one. :unsure:

Chapter 96

Charlie and Angelo were sitting in the waiting room at the hospital, waiting for Chloe’s appointment with David. Charlie sat in the chair and her leg was constantly shaking as she waited. “Charlie” Angelo said as he put his hand down on her leg, causing her to stop shaking it.

“Sorry, I’m just nervous. I’m worrying about things he could tell us” Charlie said as she looked up at Angelo.

“Charlie don’t” Angelo said “You’ll make yourself feel worse. Everything is going to be fine with her” Angelo looked down into the car seat where Chloe was sitting and gently rubbed her cheek. “Isn’t that right baby?” Angelo smiled, as David came out into the corridor and asked for them to come through. Taking a deep breath Charlie stood up from the seat and followed David back down the corridor, with Angelo beside her, carrying Chloe in her car seat. They walked into the room and took a seat, with Charlie lifting Chloe out of the seat and holding her in her arms.

“Well she is looking good” David smiled as he looked down at Chloe. “Did you bring the monitor?” David asked as he looked back up to Charlie.

“Yes” Charlie answered as Angelo opened the bag and handed it over to him.

“Okay, and has she had any apnea attacks since you took her home?” David asked

“No, she hasn’t. Which we are actually rather thankful for” Angelo answered and David smiled.

“That’s great” David said as he checked the readings on the monitor just be sure. “Well if you are confident enough that you can have her home without the monitor, then I’m happy to take her off it”

“Yeah” Charlie smiled apprehensively “What do you think Angelo”? Charlie said as she looked around at him.

“Well if David is sure she doesn’t need it” Angelo questioned as he looked to David.

“The last recorded attack she had was 2 days before she came home to you. For me I don’t see any reason for her still to be on the monitor, but if you don’t feel comfortable with her coming off it just yet, you can have it a few more days” David said

“No” Angelo said “It’ll be good to have her off it”

“Okay” David smiled “So if I can take her for now” David said as he took Chloe from Charlie. “I just want to check her weight” David placed Chloe on the scales. “Oh, she’s now 5lbs 6oz. So she is gaining at a healthy rate” David said as he picked Chloe up. “I guess she’s been feeding with no problems”

“No problems at all” Charlie answered. After doing a few more checks on Chloe, David handed her back to Charlie.

“Well she’s everywhere I want her to be developmentally” David smiled “She is doing great”

“So you’re not concerned that she’s not focusing her eyes properly yet?” Angelo questioned

“Not at all” David shook his head “Mr Rosetta, remember that her corrected age is only 7 days and that developmentally she eventually will catch up”

“Right” Angelo nodded “So is there anything else you need to do today?”

“No, I’m happy with everything” David smiled “I like to see her again when she is 6 months old for another check-up”

“Okay, well thank you doctor” Angelo said as Charlie strapped Chloe back into the car seat before they left.

Ruby walked into Chloe’s room and over to the changing table where Charlie was changing Chloe’s nappy. “Hey, wanna do this one next?” Ruby laughed

Charlie looked up to Ruby and smiled lightly “Don’t think these nappies would fit him. Be a bit on the small side”

“Just a bit” Ruby said as Callum started to wriggle in Ruby’s arms. She sat him down on the floor and he immediately pulled himself up into standing and held onto Ruby’s leg. “I think he wants to start walking” Ruby said as she looked down at her son.

“Oh here comes the fun” Charlie said as she fastened the poppers on Chloe’s baby grow before she lifted her daughter up into her arms. She placed a soft kiss on her baby’s forehead before looking at her lovingly. Ruby smiled as she saw the look on Charlie’s face.

“You know, if you’re not ready we don’t have to go today” Ruby said “The voucher lasts for months yet, we have plenty of time”

“No, its fine” Charlie said “I want to go. I need to get used to leaving her at one point if I am going to be going back to work”

“So you’re still thinking about that?” Ruby asked

“Oh yeah, and probably soon” Charlie said “As much as I love being at home with the kids, I do miss work”

“How soon?” Ruby asked “Chloe has only been home two weeks”

“Maybe like a few more weeks to a month” Charlie said

“Oh” Ruby said sounding rather surprised “I didn’t think you’d want to go back that soon”

“Well there’s a part of me that wants to stay home for Chloe all the time, but there’s a bigger part of me that wants to go back to work. I love my job and I’ve not worked for a year now. I want to go back”

“Okay fair enough. What do you think Dad would say to that?” Ruby asked as she picked her son back up in her arms.

“Well he knows that I wanted to go back after she was born and he said he’d take some time off and look after her” Charlie said as she started to make her way out of the room with Ruby following after her. “But, I guess I am going to have to talk to him about it and we’ll see what happens”

“Yeah” Ruby nodded as they walked down the stairs and into the living room where Angelo was sitting with Ava and Ben.

“You all ready to go?” Angelo asked as he stood up from the couch.

“Yeah” Charlie nodded “I’ve made up her bottles for her but she’s just been fed so you won’t need to feed her again until….”

“Charlie” Angelo placed his hand on her shoulder, cutting her off. “It’s okay, I know when she gets fed, and I know to change a nappy and how put her down to sleep. I know what I’m doing Charlie, she’ll be fine”

“I know, sorry” Charlie exhaled lightly.

“And I know Mum” Ava grinned “I’m the best helper so she’ll be okay with me here”

“Yeah, you are a great helper” Charlie smiled down at Ava.

“And I know Callum too so he’ll be fine too Ruby. I’ll look after him” Ava said as she looked to Ruby who was sitting Callum down in the playpen.

“Aw thank you Ava” Ruby smiled before Ruby and Charlie went to leave the room.

“Eh Charlie” Angelo said as he followed after her.

“What?” Charlie said as she turned to face Angelo.

“Are you forgetting something?” Angelo asked as he looked down to his daughter, still in Charlie arms.

“Oh” Charlie said as she stepped forward and passed Chloe to Angelo. “Call me if anything….”

“Charlie”

Charlie exhaled lightly as she gently rubbed Chloe’s forehead. “Bye guys” Charlie smiled across the room to Ava and Ben who shouted bye back to her before she and Ruby left to go to the spa for the day.

“So” Ruby said as Charlie pulled the car out of the driveway “How do you think Angelo will do with a 3 month old, a 10 month old, a jealous big brother and Ava?”

Charlie laughed lightly as she drove along the road. “I’m sure Ava will keep him right”

“Probably” Ruby laughed before Charlie made the rest of the journey to the spa.

After getting some of the spa treatments Charlie and Ruby decided that they should go for some lunch. They walked into the room and found a table by the window, overlooking the ocean. “So” Ruby said as she sat down “Are you having a good day?”

“Yeah, it’s been great” Charlie smiled “But please don’t go and spend any more of your wages on me. You keep that for yourself and Cal” Charlie said

“You try to do something nice for your mother and this is the thanks you get” Ruby said as she raised her eyebrows.

“C’mon you know I’m really grateful Rubes, but you didn’t need to spend as much as you did”

“Okay, noted. Next time I buy you a present it’ll be something for 10 dollars or less” Ruby grinned cheekily.

“That’s fine” Charlie laughed before quickly glancing down at her mobile phone and biting her lip.

“You can phone if you want” Ruby said

“Phone who?” Charlie asked

“The Queen of Sheba” Ruby said sarcastically “Angelo, Mum, you can phone Angelo. I know you want too”

“I don’t want to phone Angelo” Charlie said, trying her best to sound convincing.

“Yeah right, so you’re just constantly tapping your hand off the table for no apparently reason?” Ruby asked “You’re getting all antsy” Ruby said “Just phone and ask how she is”

Charlie smiled lightly at Ruby before picking up her mobile and ringing home. Her face began to show panic as the phone kept ringing without a pick-up. Just as she was about to hang up, an out of breath sounding Angelo could be heard on the other side. “Hello” Angelo said through his breaths.

“Hey, it’s me” Charlie said “I was just calling to see how you were doing?”

“Oh great” Angelo said his breathing still heavy

“Are you sure?” Charlie questioned

“Yeah great” Angelo said again

“And how’s Chloe?” Charlie asked

“She’s fine Charlie. She is sound asleep, as is Cal”

“Why do you sound so out of breath?” Charlie asked

“I’m running around with Ava and Ben” Angelo said. Charlie was about to reply when she could hear Ben yelling something in the background.

“Right, well I’ll let you go” Charlie said “But you’re sure Chloe and everything is okay?”

“I’m sure Charlie. Stop worrying and just enjoy your day”

“Okay, bye” Charlie said before hanging up the phone.

“So, all is okay then?” Ruby asked and Charlie nodded as she put her phone back down onto the table.

“Yeah, everything is fine” Charlie smiled

“Great” Ruby smiled “Now when is this waiter going to come and take our order because I am staving”

Charlie laughed lightly at Ruby as she looked around the room and trying to spot a waiter. “Hopefully soon, I could do with some water”

“If he doesn’t come over soon I’ll go get someone” Ruby said and Charlie smiled. “So….Mum….I’ve been thinking about finding a place of my own”

“Oh” Charlie said “Since when?”

“Ehm….since I fell pregnant really. I was thinking about my kids taking up all the room in your house. And well now it’s obviously just going to be Cal, but he can’t share a room with me forever….I can’t live with my parents forever either. I need to start being more independent”

“You were independent, Rubes. It was just your circumstances that forced you into moving back in with us. And Cal can share a room with Ben when he is older, you don’t need….”

“No, I can’t make Ben share his space with his nephew. It wouldn’t be fair. It’s Ben’s room. I know that you’re always going to have a place for me, but it’s what I want Mum. I want to find a place of my own and start and new life, make a new home for me and Cal”

“Okay” Charlie said “If it’s what you want”

“You don’t sound too enthused by the idea?” Ruby said

“I’ll just miss having you around all the time, but if it’s what you want to do then I think you should see if you can find somewhere” Charlie said “You are going to be staying in the bay, right?”

“Depends if I can find anything” Ruby said “Going back to the city is a possibility”

“Oh” Charlie said “Well if that’s what you want”

“I’m not sure yet” Ruby said “But I would like to look for a place of my own” Charlie smiled weakly at Ruby. If she was being honest, she didn’t want Ruby to move out, she liked having her in the house and would miss her greatly if she moved out, especially if she was going to go back to the city, but looking at the enthusiasm on her daughters face as she spoke about finding a place of her own, Charlie knew that what she wanted didn’t matter, this was about Ruby and what was best for her, and what she wanted.

Charlie walked into the kitchen and over to the fridge. “Where did everyone go?” Charlie asked as she picked out a bottle of water and opened it before taking a drink.

“Ruby and Ava took Cal out for a walk” Angelo answered as he looked up from unloading the washing machine. “And Ava said the next time you go to the spa she is coming too”

“Oh right” Charlie laughed lightly as she walked over to the table where her son was sitting happily with his pad of paper and crayons.

“Hey Benny. What you drawing?” Charlie asked as she sat down next to him and gently ruffled his hair.

“A picture” Ben said matter-of-factly and Charlie laughed lightly before Chloe’s cries could be heard through the baby monitor. Charlie exhaled lightly before she went to stand up but Angelo stopped her.

“I’ll go” Angelo said as he walked quickly across the room and out of the kitchen.

“So what is it you are drawing?” Charlie asked as she looked back down at her son.

“It’s all the people I love” Ben said as he looked up at his mother. “And it’s finished”

“Wow it looks good” Charlie said with enthusiasm as she looked down at the picture.

“Yes” Ben nodded “That’s Daddy, that’s Ava, that’s Ruby” Ben pointed to the people he had drawn as he told Charlie who each of them where. “And that’s Granny Morag and that’s Callum” Ben said as he looked up at Charlie. “I’m going to watch TV” Ben said as he jumped down from the table and ran from the room passing Angelo who was coming back into the kitchen.

“She just wanted a cuddle from her Daddy” Angelo grinned as he walked over to the table. Charlie smiled sadly before she looked down to the picture that Ben left on the kitchen table. “Charlie?” Angelo said he gently put his hand onto her shoulder. Charlie looked back up to Angelo and he looked into her eyes. “Charlie what’s wrong?”

“Have you seen Ben’s picture?” Charlie said once she had composed herself after a brief moment of silence. “It’s all the people he loves. You, Ava, Ruby, Morag and Cal” Charlie said as she pointed to the picture. “I get why Chloe isn’t there” Charlie said as she tried to stop the tears that wanted to fall from breaking her voice. “He’s still trying to adjust to having her around. But Angelo, I’m not....” Charlie stopped talking for if she was to say one more word she was sure she would burst into tears.

“Charlie” Angelo said as he pulled her closer to him “Of course Ben loves you. Maybe he just hasn’t finished yet”

Charlie shook her head “He told me he was. Maybe I’m just a bad mother”

“Hey, you are not a bad mother” Angelo said as he tightened his grip on Charlie. “Charlie you are an amazing mother”

“Ben obviously doesn’t think so” Charlie said sadly.

“Benjamin come here” Angelo shouted through to the living room. Moments later and Ben came running into the room and over to where his parents were.

“Yes Daddy” Ben said as he looked up at Angelo.

“I’ve just been looking at your picture” Angelo said as he bent down to his son’s level, with the picture in his hand.

“Oh” Ben said “Yes, that’s you and that’s Ava and.....”

“Yeah, Mummy told me who they were. Haven’t you missed out someone very important?” Angelo asked and Ben shook his head.

“No I haven’t Daddy”

“What about you’re Mummy?” Angelo asked “Or Chloe?”

“Chloe isn’t nice” Ben said “And Mummy’s not there because I don’t love her no more”

“Benjamin” Angelo said sharply “You’re hurting your Mummy’s feelings”

“But Mummy hurt mines first” Ben yelled before tears fell down his cheek. “She didn’t want me no more so she had a new baby” Angelo exhaled lightly as he looked to Charlie, before deciding to leave her to do all the talking. He walked across the kitchen, and continued to unload the washing machine.

“Aww Benny” Charlie said as she stood up from the chair and bent down to her sons level. “That’s not true sweetie. Mummy loves you so much, of course I want you, you’re my baby” Charlie said as she took Ben’s little hands into hers.

“No” Ben shook his head “Chloe is now”

“Yeah but that doesn’t mean you can’t be too” Charlie said “You’ll always be my baby as well”

“But I won’t be the last one so it’s not as special” Ben said as he pulled his hands away from Charlie.

“Ben” Charlie said softly “You are special to me. You know your extra special because you are my only boy” Ben’s face lit up as he heard this.

“Really?” Ben said and Charlie nodded as she gently cupped her hand around his cheek and looked into his big brown eyes, just like his fathers.

“Yeah” Charlie said

“But we can’t tell anyone I’m the specialist one because they’ll be sad” Ben said

“Yeah it’ll be our secret” Charlie said as she lightly hit the end of Ben’s nose.

“Yeah, our secret” Ben giggled. “I’m going to draw you on my picture now” Ben said as he climbed back up on the chair and picked up a crayon. Charlie smiled as she placed her hand onto her sons head and lightly ruffled his hair as she watched him drawing what was supposed to be herself. When he had finished drawing he looked up at her with a big grin on his face. “I love you Mummy. Lots and lots”

“I love you too Benny” Charlie smiled as he lifted her son from the chair and into a hug. Ben wrapped his arms tightly around her as he placed a kiss on her lips.

“Lots and lots?” Ben questioned as he pulled his head back and looked at her.

“Lots and lots and lots” Charlie said and Ben smiled as he placed another kiss on her lips before continuing to hug is mother.

“Okay can I go watch TV now?” Ben asked and Charlie nodded as she put her son down.

“For a little bit. It’s almost your bedtime” Charlie said.

“Okay” Ben said as he ran from the room. Charlie exhaled lightly as she turned around and looked across the room to Angelo who was shutting the washing machine door. He stood up and lifted up the basket of clothes. “Why am I getting the blame?” Charlie asked “She’s your baby too. Just because you didn’t have to carry her for so many months then push her out of your......we both had another baby” Charlie said. Angelo exhaled lightly as he put the wash basket down onto the worktop and turned to face Charlie.

“I don’t know” Angelo shrugged his shoulders “Maybe because the Mum carries they child he associates her more with being yours, but Charlie, it doesn’t really matter who he wants to blame for Chloe’s arrival, all that we need to do now is try to get him more interested in her”

“I know. It’s not as if we haven’t tried” Charlie said as she walked across the room, closer to Angelo.

“Maybe we shouldn’t push him that much. It might make him worse. We don’t want to force her on her him, do we?” Angelo asked and Charlie shook her head. “He’ll come round” Angelo said as he pulled Charlie closer to him and wrapped his arms around her waist. “And when he does, he’ll be the best big brother in the world”

“Yeah, I’m sure your right” Charlie smiled before leaning her head against Angelo’s chest. Angelo placed a soft kiss onto Charlie’s forehead, as they stood in the embrace.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry about the wait for this chapter. I was away on a skiing holiday so didn’t haven’t the time to write! Hopefully it’s okay though, not really sure about this one. :unsure: Anyways, thank you all so much for the comments, especially yours Barbara! Wow, thank you so much for reviewing every chapter there! There won’t be another update for a couple more weeks as I am away on holiday now until the 16th April, but hopefully it won’t be long after that until I post the next one.

Chapter 97

Charlie yawned as she flung the bed covers from herself and dragged herself out of bed. She looked down at the clock on her bedside table and yawned once more as she read 3.14 as the time. She quickly glanced at Angelo, who was still sound asleep, before she left the room, and went into the nursery and over to the cot. She looked down into it and smiled down at Chloe who was lying awake, her big blue eyes moving around as she looked up to the mobile that hung above her. “Hey baby” Charlie said softly as she picked her daughter up. “How come you’re not crying? Mummy is sorry she is late for your feed but she was just having such a nice sleep she forgot to wake up on time. But if you’re not going to cry about Mummy being 14 minutes late then I guess it’s okay” Charlie smiled down at Chloe as she sat down on the rocking chair and began to feed her. “You know, baby” Charlie said softly as she gently ran her hand over Chloe’s forehead. “This is the time Mummy likes the best. When it’s just me and you, and no one can disturb us” Charlie continued to look down at her daughter, the big grin never wiping from her face.

“Hey” Angelo yawned as he walked into the room and he rubbed the back of his head.

“You woke up” Charlie said sounding surprised.

“I did” Angelo yawned once more as he crouched down next to the chair and gently ran his hand over Chloe’s head. “You know if you ever want a break from doing the night feeds, I can start doing some” Angelo said as he rubbed his eyes.

“You sure you’ll be able to stay awake long enough?” Charlie laughed lightly as she looked up at Angelo. His eyes were heavy and he looked like he could nod back off to sleep any second.

“I’d try” Angelo said “It’s not fair to make you do them all”

“Right and how exactly are going to be able to feed her?” Charlie asked before glancing down at Angelo’s chest. “You’re the one who was pushing that ‘breast was best’ so, I kinda need to be the one who gets up”

“You expressed some yesterday for when you were at the spa, can’t you just do that again?”

Charlie looked back down at her daughter as she fed and smiled lightly “Yeah, I guess I could do if you wanted to do some feeds” Charlie said as she looked back up at Angelo. “But will you get up? You like your sleep”

“If it’s to feed my daughter then I’m sure I’ll manage it” Angelo said as he let out a big yawn while he stretched.

“Right then tomorrow night is your turn” Charlie smiled before looking back down at Chloe. “Is that you all full up?” Charlie cooed as she lifted Chloe up and over her shoulder and began to gently rub her back.

“Right well it looks like you have everything under control tonight, so do you mind if I just head back to bed now?” Angelo yawned

“Sure” Charlie sighed. Angelo placed a gently kiss onto Chloe’s cheek before he left the room. “Oh Chloe” Charlie said as she continued to wind her daughter. “What’s your Daddy like? He said the same when your big brother was a baby but he doesn’t like to get up through the night” Charlie moved Chloe in her arms after winding her so she was staring back down at her daughter “Bless your Daddy he just needs his sleep or he will be a Mr Grumpy the next day and we don’t like that” Charlie shook her head lightly “No we don’t” Charlie cooed as she lightly tapped Chloe’s little nose. As Charlie spoke, Chloe looked up at her, her big blue eyes almost finding focus on her mother. “Aww I could stay holding you all night baby but truthfully Mummy likes her sleep too” Charlie said as she gently started to rock Chloe to sleep in her arms. Once she had nodded off, Charlie stood up and walked over to cot and placed a soft kiss onto Chloe’s forehead before she placed her back down into the cot. “Sleep tight my precious little angel” Charlie whispered before she left the room.

Charlie walked down to the stairs and into the kitchen to find Angelo putting a class of orange juice onto a tray. “What are you doing?” Charlie questioned as she watched Angelo.

“I was about to bring you breakfast in bed” Angelo said as he smiled up at Charlie.

“Breakfast in bed?” Charlie repeated as she gave Angelo a questioning look.

“Yeah” Angelo gave a light nod of his head.

“What do you want?” Charlie asked

“I don’t want anything” Angelo answered “I just thought it would be nice to make my lovely wife breakfast in bed” Charlie smiled lightly as she walked closer to Angelo.

“Well that’s very sweet. If you want me to go back up the stairs…..”

“No, you’re down here now” Angelo said as he took the bowl from the tray and handed it to Charlie, before picking up the glass of orange juice and following Charlie over to the table. “Do you want me to make you a coffee?” Angelo asked as he put the glass of juice down on the table.

“Depends what kind you are going to let me drink” Charlie answered

“Decaf of course” Angelo said “It’s in Chloe’s best interest”

Charlie sighed lightly before she took a drink of the orange juice. “Okay, yes, a coffee would be lovely thank you” Angelo walked back across the kitchen and filled the kettle with water before flicking the switch down to bring it to the boil. “Shouldn’t you be leaving for work now? You are going to be late if you don’t leave like, now” Charlie said as she looked up at the clock on the wall, noticing the time was a lot later than she expected it to be.

“So I will be a little late” Angelo said as he put a teaspoonful of the coffee into the cup “I mean it not as if I am going to give myself a telling off for being late, considering I am the one in charge at the moment”

“No. I guess not” Charlie mumbled “So, I guess the kids have already been taken to school?” Charlie questioned, before she took a spoonful of her cereal.

“Yeah” Angelo nodded “And Rubes and Cal have gone into Yabbie Creek for a spot of retail therapy. So that just leaves little Chloe and she is still fast asleep”

Charlie smiled lightly as she watched Angelo pouring the water into in the cup before reaching for the milk. “So, Angelo….” Charlie trailed off as she looked down.

“Yeah?” Angelo questioned as he walked back across the room to the table and took a seat next to Charlie as he placed the coffee cup down.

“I’ve been thinking, and I want to go back to work soon” Charlie spoke tentatively as she looked back up at her husband.

“Oh” Angelo said sounding surprised “Right, I ehm….” Angelo paused as he rubbed his forehead.

“Don’t sound so surprised” Charlie said “We talked about me returning to work after I had Chloe before she was even born”

“Yeah, I know” Angelo said “I just didn’t think you’d want to go back so soon after getting her home. She’s only been home 2 weeks Charlie”

“I know” Charlie said “But it’s not as if she is only 2 weeks old, she’s 13 weeks Angelo. Plenty of women are back to work when their child is that age”

“Yeah, I just didn’t think you’d want to go back now, that’s all” Angelo replied

“Why? Because she was premature? Or because she….” Charlie paused as she tried to think of another reason as to why Angelo would think she wouldn’t want to return to work anymore. “Why, Angelo?” Charlie asked feeling slightly confused.

“Well it’s just that you never really want to leave her unless you really have too, so I’m just surprised that you would now all of a sudden want to go back to work and be away from her for hours at time”

“It’s not all of a sudden” Charlie retorted “You know I was wanting to go back before I even knew I was pregnant again and we’ve already talked about me returning to work after she was born” Charlie said, raising her voice as she spoke to Angelo. “And as for being able to leave her, of course it’ll be hard at first but I’d get used to it”

“Right, so we’d need to look into childcare with both of us working again” Angelo said

Charlie pulled a face of confusion “No, we wouldn’t need to look into it” Charlie said “You said that you would stop working and look after the kids so I could work again”

“Oh, I didn’t, didn’t I?” Angelo said as he rubbed his forehead “Right ehm…”

“But you didn’t mean it, did you?” Charlie questioned “All that you said about that you’d love to stay at home with the baby and Ava and Ben all day, it was just all talk wasn’t it?”

“Of course I’d love to be home with the kids more, but I also love my job and….”

“Right” Charlie shook her head “So we both work and leave our kids with a child-minder, thus them not getting to spend as much time with us”

“Charlie we both worked full time before you stopped working when Ruby and Cal moved back in with us and we worked it out fine”

“But that was different” Charlie said “The kids were older, Ava was at school most of the time we would be working and…Angelo, I don’t want to leave Chloe with a child-minder”

“Charlie, you can’t have everything the way you want it. If you are wanting to go back to work you are going to need to make some sacrifices…..”

“I’m going to need to make sacrifices?” Charlie questioned “Just me? You get everything your way and I’m the one who has to make the sacrifice? You know what though? That doesn’t actually surprise me Angelo; because that’s the way things normally go around here”

“Charlie…” Angelo made to speak but stopped when Chloe’s cries could be heard through the monitor.

“Just go to work Angelo” Charlie spat as she pushed her chair back and stood up from the table and left the room to see to her daughter.

Ava ran out of the school gates and over to Charlie who was leaning against her car. “Mum” Ava grinned “I got full marks on my spelling test today”

“Aw well done Av’s that’s really good” Charlie smiled as she took the piece of paper from her daughter and looked down at it.

“Yeah, see 10 out of 10 and a sticker” Ava smiled as she pointed to the big red smiley faced sticker that had been stuck onto her work.

“Oh wow” Charlie smiled as she lightly ruffled Ava’s hair. “Right, you ready to go home?”

“Yeah” Ava nodded as she opened the back door and threw her school bag down on the floor of the car before she started to get in.

“Oh, I thought you’d ask to sit the front” Charlie said as she leaned into the car and passed Ava back her spelling test paper.

“No” Ava shook her head as she put her seatbelt on. “I wanted to sit next to Chloe” Ava looked down at Chloe who was sitting in the car seat and smiled.

“Oh right” Charlie smiled before she closed the car door and walked around the car and got into her seat.

“Mummy are we going home now?” Ben asked as he kicked his legs back and forth in his seat.

“Yes Benny” Charlie answered as she put her seatbelt on and started up the car engine.

“Well when we get there can we make mud pies” Ben asked as Charlie pulled out onto the road and began the journey home.

“Eww no” Ava answered “We’ll play mum and babies”

“No” Ben squealed resulting in Chloe bursting into tears.

“Ben” Ava gasped “Look what you’ve done to Chloe”

“Benny don’t shout like that because you will give your sister a fright” Charlie said softly.

“I don’t care” Ben said as he shook his head “She’s stupid and she needs a dummy to make her quiet” Ben put his hands over his ears as Chloe continued to cry. Ava looked down at Chloe as she lightly rubbed her arm.

“Shhh, it’s okay Chloe, shhh” Ava said and Chloe’s cries softened before stopping completely. “I stopped her Mum” Ava smiled as she looked up. “I stopped her crying”

“That’s great” Charlie smiled “Thank you Ava”

“She likes me because she listens when I help, right Mum?” Ava questioned

“Yeah of course she likes you” Charlie smiled

“And I help?” Ava said

“Yeah you do” Charlie smiled as continued the journey back to her house. She pulled the car up into the driveway, and got the kids out of the car and they ran into the house, with Charlie following behind with Chloe.

“Mummy” Ben said as he pulled on Charlie’s arm “I want to play with you”

“Mummy is holding Chloe you can’t pull on her like that” Ava said as she pushed Ben, resulting in him falling backwards.

“Ava don’t push him” Charlie said “He was okay”

“But Chloe is really little and we have to be careful with her” Ava said as she jumped up to the couch.

“Yeah and he knows that” Charlie said as she looked down to Ben who was standing in a sulk with tears glazing over in his eyes. “Ava can you go and get changed out of your uniform?” Charlie asked and Ava jumped down from the couch and ran from the room. Charlie placed Chloe into the bouncy chair before she turned back around to face Ben. She sat down on the floor and leant herself against the couch and gestured for Ben to come closer to her. Ben sat down on Charlie’s knee and she wrapped her arms around his waist as she placed a kiss on his forehead “You okay baby?” Ben shook his head as a tear rolled down his cheek.

“We can’t do stuff now because of it” Ben said as he looked to Chloe.

“Hey, baby, yes we can” Charlie said as she wiped the tear away from Ben’s cheek.

“Well can we go and play in the mud and find Nigel the worm?” Ben asked as he looked back up at Charlie.

Charlie laughed lightly at Ben’s request of looking for Nigel the worm. “Of course we can sweetie, if that’s what you want to do, we will go and do that” Charlie said and Ben smiled before he looked back at Chloe. He gave a slight smile as he watched the chair rocking ever so slightly as Chloe moved her arms and legs. “You know when you were a baby you used to love sitting in your bouncy chair and you would cry when Mummy or Daddy tried to take you out” Charlie said as she lightly ran her hand across Ben’s head.

“I liked that?” Ben questioned and Charlie nodded as she watched Ben watching Chloe in the chair. “It looks fun” Ben smiled as he crawled off Charlie’s knee gently hit the chair so it moved a little more.

“Benny, be careful” Charlie said and Ben nodded.

“I will be its okay” Ben said as he looked down to Chloe. “She’s really little”

“Yeah” Charlie nodded as she moved closer to Ben. “That’s because she was born a long time before she should have been”

“So she was in the hopsital for a long time?” Ben asked and Charlie nodded.

“Yeah that’s right. That’s why she had to stay in the hospital for so long” Charlie answered and Ben exhaled lightly as he looked back down to Chloe who was staring up at him.

“Why is she looking at me?” Ben asked

“Because you are her big brother and she loves you” Charlie said.

“Really?” Ben said and Charlie nodded.

“Yeah. And you know, Ben, you are a big bother now and you know what that’s means?” Charlie asked and Ben screwed his face up as he shook his head. “It means you have a very special job” Ben screwed his face up once more, not knowing what Charlie was talking about.

“What’s my job?” Ben questioned.

“You need to look out for Chloe and make sure she is always safe”

“So she won’t get hurted?” Ben said and Charlie nodded.

“Yeah like that” Charlie said “And you can help Mummy to look after her too”

“Like how?” Ben asked.

“Just like Ava helps” Charlie said “You can help me to bath her, or you could give her a bottle, pick her clothes out, or you could even help Mummy with her stinky nappies”

“No” Ben giggled “I won’t. I won’t do a stinky nappy”

“No?” Charlie questioned and Ben shook his head.

“But maybe I could do them other things” Ben said as he looked down at Chloe with a smile on his face. He gently ran his hand over her forehead before he bent down and placed a soft kiss onto it. “She’s okay” Ben said as he looked back up to Charlie who had a smile on her face at Ben finally beginning to accept his baby sister.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you all so much for the lovely comments. :wub: I had a great holiday too, nice to get some sun! :lol: So here is the next one. Not much left after this one, but yeah, I hope you like it. :unsure:

Chapter 98

Charlie sighed lightly as she looked down to her daughter as she fed. She gently ran her hand over her little forehead as a smile grew on her face. “Oh Chloe, Mummy loves you so much. I’m really sorry for not wanting you for so long” Charlie paused as she felt a tear forming in her eye. “How could anybody not want you? You’re so perfect, unlike that Daddy of yours. You know, he told Mummy that he would feed you tonight so Mummy could have a little break from all these night feeds but he didn’t wake up. Not even when Mummy hit his side and yelled at him. He just made a little noise and turned around” Charlie exhaled lightly. “Maybe Mummy was silly for thinking he was going to get up anyways. I could probably count on one hand the number of times your Daddy got up through the night when Ben was a baby. He just doesn’t like getting his sleep interrupted” Charlie paused briefly “So baby, it’s a good job that your Mummy gets up for you or you’d be really hungry by morning” Charlie cooed as she heard the door creak open and she looked up to find a sorry looking Angelo walking into the room.

“Charlie, I’m so…..-”

“Don’t bother” Charlie shook her head lightly as she sighed. “I’m a fool for believing that you’d…-”

“You should have woken me up” Angelo interrupted as he rubbed his eyes.

“Oh yeah because I didn’t think to try that” Charlie retorted

“Let me take over” Angelo said “I’ll go get the bottle and you can… -”

“No” Charlie shook her head “If I take her away now she’ll just start crying and won’t take the bottle. You may as well just go back to bed”

“No, I’ll stay” Angelo said “Keep you company while you feed her” Angelo walked across the room and knelt down next to the rocking chair.

“I’m quite content when it’s just me and Chloe” Charlie said “So feel free to leave me alone with her”

“Charlie” Angelo said as he reached his arm out and rested his hand on her shoulder. Charlie looked down at Angelo and exhaled lightly. “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing” Charlie bit her lip as she looked back down to Chloe.

“Is this about the work stuff? I knew not talking about it before we went to bed would be….-”

“What’s there to talk about?” Charlie asked “Angelo, who am I kidding, I can’t go back to work right now, not when she is still night feeding, because I’m doing it all on my own. Through the day, you are great with her, but then when it comes to taking the responsibility at night it always just gets shifted to me, so there’s no way I can get up through the night for her and be able to go into work and be able to focus or then what if I have to do a night shift? With you not getting up for her she’ll…-”

“Charlie” Angelo said as he lightly squeezed her shoulder “I’m sorry, but you know how much I need my 8 hours or….-”

“So then why did you push me into having her? What, did you think she was going to be some kind of genius baby who could feed herself or was it more a case of Charlie is the mother she’ll do the night feeds and get up every time she cries?”

“So are you saying that you’re regretting….-”

“Of course not” Charlie exclaimed “I’m just saying…..I’m so tired Angelo. I can’t do this myself. I need you to help me. I need you to get up and do some of the night feeds. I’d love to be able to sleep through the whole night too but right now that’s just not an option for us” Angelo nodded lightly as he listened to his wife.

“I’m sorry. You’re right, I do need to help you more” Angelo tucked Charlie’s hair behind her ear as he spoke. “I promise that I will get up some of the time for her. And, Charlie, we’ll sort this work thing out, I did tell you that I’d stop working to look after her so you could work, so if it means that much to you to go back, then let’s do it” Angelo said unenthusiastically.

“Sound like you actually want to stay at home with your daughter” Charlie said as she lifted Chloe up over her shoulder and began to wind her.

“Charlie, of course I’d want too. I’m just thinking about our financial situation if only one of us would be working”

“Only one of us has been working for the past year and we are managing fine. And my wage is higher than yours so more money would be coming in than it is now. Angelo do you think I’d want our family to struggle? If we were going to struggle with only one of us working I’d never suggest it”

“No, I guess you wouldn’t” Angelo exhaled lightly as he rubbed his forehead.

“But, I can see that you are keen to stay working so maybe we can just find a compromise so that we are both back at work, but also, that one of us is always home with Chloe and for when Ava and Ben get home from school. That way we both get what we want” Charlie said as she moved Chloe in her arms and looked back down at her.

“Okay” Angelo said “So when does that leave time for us to see each other? If you’re with the kids and I’m working, then I come home from work to be with the kids and what, you’d have to leave for your shift?” Angelo questioned

“Angelo” Charlie sighed lightly as she looked back up at him.

“Charlie, I don’t understand why you can’t just leave Chloe with a child-minder. It seems the most sensible and the best option to take” Angelo said

“Because I don’t want too” Charlie sighed “Angelo, she’s our little baby. She’s….she is so small and fragile and vulnerable…I just….I don’t trust anyone to watch her other than me and you. I just, I want to know that she is safe and I’ll only feel that if I am leaving her with her father”

Angelo exhaled lightly as he cupped his hand around Charlie’s cheek. As he looked into her eyes he could see how anxious Charlie felt about leaving Chloe to go back to work, so he wanted to make her feel as comfortable as possible. “Okay, we’ll work shifts out so that one of us is always home with Chloe”

“Thank you” Charlie smiled lightly at her husband before looking back down at her daughter who had fallen back asleep in her arms. Angelo smiled as he watched Charlie staring lovingly at Chloe. He placed a soft kiss onto her forehead before he too looked down to his daughter and watched her as she slept.

“Okay, so this is the second property, and probably the better of the two, if I am being honest” Sheila, the estate agent said as she opened the gate, and they walked up the small path. As you can see there is a small garden area here, Sheila said as she pointed to her left.

“Not much of a garden” Charlie mumbled as she looked to the small patch of grass that was overgrown with weeds, and in desperate need to be cut.

“Nothing a little attention won’t fix” Sheila said “Run the lawnmower over it and it’ll be good enough for the little one to run around in, or put a little swing in for him” Sheila looked at Callum as he sat in Ruby’s arms, pulling lightly at her hair.

“Put a swing in it and there will be no room to walk on it” Charlie muttered

“Charlie” Angelo said as he gave her a disapproving look.

“So yes the garden is rather on the small side, but if you step out the back door and take about 10 steps then you’ll be on the beach, so that’s a good positive, right?” Sheila said as she looked at Ruby, who was trying to stop her son from grabbing her hair once more.

“Yes, definitely” Ruby answered as she pushed Callum’s hand away. “We love the beach don’t we Cal Cal?”

“Ba” Callum said as he flung his hands out to the side and Ruby laughed lightly.

“Okay, so let’s step into the house and have a look around” Sheila said as she opened the door and walked into the hallway. They walked down the hall and turned left and walked into the fairly decent sized living room.

“It’s a bit dingy looking” Charlie said as she looked around the room and screwed her face up.

“Nothing a lick of paint won’t fix” Ruby said positively.

“Just my thoughts” Angelo smiled “It’s a decent size too. Plenty room for this little one to make a mess and throw his toys everywhere” Angelo stepped forward and lightly tickled Callum’s side, resulting in him bursting into laughter. After viewing the living room they walk through to the kitchen.

“Gosh it’s tiny” Charlie said as she looked around the room.

“The kitchen is rather on the small side, but for all the time she will be spending in here, is it really that much of a problem?” Sheila asked

“Well they need to eat somewhere” Charlie answered back “Where is she supposed to put the dining table?”

“I’m sure she could fit a small table in the corner of the living room” Angelo said “It’s only her and Cal; she doesn’t need anything too big”

“And what if she wants to entertain?” Charlie snapped at her husband.

“Then I’ll get a bigger table, or people can balance the plates off their knees” Ruby said

“Well that’s not exactly….-”

“Charlie” Angelo said as he once again shot her a disapproving look.

“Eh, would you like you come and see bedrooms?” Sheila asked as she looked to Ruby who nodded lightly in response. Charlie went to follow them out of the kitchen but Angelo took hold of her wrist and pulled her back. Charlie turned round to face him and exhaled lightly.

“What?” Charlie questioned

“Stop it Charlie” Angelo said “Stop it now”

“Stop what?” Charlie questioned

“You know fine well what” Angelo said as he lightly rocked his body, as he placed his hand on Chloe’s back – who he was holding in the baby carrier – as she had began to whimper.

“So I am not allowed to have an opinion on the house that my daughter is thinking of moving into?” Charlie asked as she leaned back against the worktop and folded her arms.

“You can have an opinion Charlie, but what you’re doing, you’re just trying to put her off so she has to stay at home longer”

“So I don’t want her to move out, what’s so wrong with that?” Charlie asked as she dropped her arms to her side and looked down to the floor.

“Nothing” Angelo shook his head “But Charlie, it’s not just about what you want. Ruby wants this. She’s 24 years old, she has her own child, let her move into her own home and build a new life for her and Cal. It’s time to let her go, Charlie” Angelo said as he took a few steps forward and placed his hand on Charlie’s chin and gently pushed her face up to face him.

“I did let go” Charlie said “She moved out and I let her go, but then she came back and now I have to let her go again” Charlie began to get all teary eyed as she once again bowed her head down.

“Charlie” Angelo said as he placed his hand onto her shoulder.

“I just, I want to be able to protect her from getting hurt. She’s been through so much this last year and maybe right now she’s not in the best place to take the big step into getting a place of her own. I know she’s 24 now and has Cal, but, she’ll always be my baby and I’ll always want to protect her” Charlie looked up to Angelo as a tear rolled down her cheek.

“I know” Angelo smiled empathetically as he wiped the tear from her cheek. “But Charlie, if Ruby needs you, she’ll come to you. You will always be able to be there for her, no matter where Ruby is living”

“I know” Charlie said as she sniffed back more tears.

“So how about you show her a little positivity about this place? I mean, if it was going to be this place or the apartment that we’ve just looked at where would you rather she lived?” Angelo asked

“This place” Charlie answered without any thought. Angelo smiled lightly as he rubbed Charlie’s arms.

“So…” Angelo said

“Ehm…..I like the view from this window” Charlie said as she turned her head and pointed to the kitchen window, which looked out to the ocean.

“Well that’s a start” Angelo smiled as he tucked Charlie’s hair behind her ear. “Now let’s go catch up with them and see these bedrooms” Angelo and Charlie walked out of the kitchen and down the hall listening for voices to see which room they were in. They found them in the second bedroom, the smaller of the two, which would be Callum’s room.

“So what do you think then?” Ruby asked as she looked up at Charlie, expecting yet another negative response to fall from her mother’s mouth.

“Yeah, it’s a decent enough size. Ehm….walls are blue so you wouldn’t really need to paint it. Maybe you could put a few stencils up or something to brighten it up, make it look more like a kid’s room but, yeah, it’s ehm….its decent”

“Yeah” Ruby said, sounding rather surprised at Charlie’s comment. “I like that idea” Ruby smiled

“Nana” Callum beamed as he flung his hands out to go to Charlie.

“Hey mister what have I told you about calling me Nana?” Charlie said softly as she took Callum into her arms.

“Nana” Callum said again as he took hold of a clump of her hair.

“Okay” Sheila smiled as she watched Callum resting his head on Charlie’s shoulder before rubbing his tired eyes. “I just have the bathroom to show you, so if you’d like you follow me” They all followed Sheila across the hall and into the bathroom. They all walked into the room, barely leaving enough room for any of them to move around much.

“Well, it’s……cosy” Charlie said, to which she received another look from Angelo.

“Cosy” Sheila repeated “But it does have everything you need. In bath shower, sink and toilet. You don’t really need anything else in here do you?”

“No, you don’t” Ruby said.

“Well, that’s everything there is to show you, so unless you have any questions?” Sheila said as she looked down to Ruby who had sat herself down on the edge of the bathtub.

“Is this place available right away?” Ruby asked.

“Yes” Sheila nodded.

“Right well, I want to talk to my parents more about it, but I’m really interested” Ruby said.

“Okay, good” Sheila smiled “Well I will let you get this little one home” Sheila said as she pointed to Callum who was now asleep in Charlie’s arms. “Just give me a call when you’ve made up your mind” Sheila reached out and shook Ruby’s hand, as Ruby thanked her, before they all left the house. Ruby opened the car door and took her son from Charlie, before placing him down in his car seat as he slept. As Charlie went to open the passenger seat door, Ruby placed her hand onto her shoulder. Charlie turned to face Ruby.

“Can we talk?” Ruby asked and Charlie looked to Angelo who was putting Chloe into her car seat, before looking back to Ruby.

“Sure yeah” Charlie said and Ruby walked the short distance to the wall that was in front of the house and took a seat, with Charlie following and doing the same.

“You know, me wanting to move out, it doesn’t mean anything is going to change with us” Ruby said as she looked up to her mother.

“Rubes, what do you…-”

“All that negativity at the apartment and then this house, you don’t want me to move out. And I know that it’s probably some really lovely reason and you’re just looking out for me and trying to protect me or stop me from getting myself hurt again or think it’s too soon after the miscarriage to be doing something like this, but I’m ready and I know that wherever I’ll be and no matter what the time or reason, if I call saying I need you, you’ll get here” Ruby said as she smiled up at her mother. “I’ll always need you, Mum, that’s never going to change, no matter what” Charlie smiled lightly as she felt her eyes glaze over with tears.

“And you know that if you don’t like it or if you need…..you just know that there will always be a place for you at my house” Charlie said as she lightly rubbed Ruby’s arm.

“Yeah I know” Ruby nodded “But I think me and Cal are gonna get on just fine here. And you know it’s only a ten minute drive from your house so if at any time you wanted to pop over for a coffee or anything…..and I’d give you proper coffee too, but let’s not tell Dad that one” Ruby said before they both laughed.

“I’m sorry for being so negative about this place” Charlie said “It’s really not all that bad”

“It’s alright, but you know, you will have to buy me an extra cool house warming present to make up for it” Ruby teased.

“Of course I will” Charlie smiled before pulling her daughter into a hug.

Thank you so much Chester-Sam, Cally, Sarah, Charis, Rach Loves H&A and Barbara for the lovely comments! :wub: So this is the second to last chapter, I hope you like it. :unsure:

Chapter 99

Charlie picked up the last book from the box and placed it onto the shelf next to all the others. “Right, that’s the bookshelf sorted” Charlie said as she turned to face Ruby who was putting away her clothes into the wardrobe.

“Thanks” Ruby smiled as she looked up to her mother.

“So what else can I do for you?” Charlie asked. They had been at Ruby’s new place all morning, moving everything in.

“Eh, you could make a start to putting Cal’s stuff away if you don’t mind” Ruby said.

“Sure I can” Charlie smiled before she left Ruby’s room. She walked down the hall and stopped next to the pram where Chloe was sleeping, and Ben was standing on his tiptoes trying to look into. “Hey Benny, what you doing?” Charlie asked as she bent down to her son’s level and lightly cupped her hand around his head.

“I’m seeing that she is safe” Ben said “But I’m too little I just can’t see her proper” Charlie smiled lightly as she stood back up and lifted Ben up so he could see his baby sister.

“What do you think then? Is she safe?” Charlie asked and Ben nodded his head.

“She is” Ben smiled “She’s still asleep. She sleeped a lot today”

“Yes, that’s because somebody stayed up the whole night crying” Charlie said before she yawned.

“I didn’t hear her” Ben said.

“No, that’s because you sleep like your Daddy. He didn’t hear her either” Charlie said as she put Ben back down. “Or if he did he didn’t get up” Charlie muttered.

“Oh well I’m going to help Daddy” Ben said as he ran down the hall and into the living room, where Angelo was busy painting. Charlie walked into Callum’s room to see he was also still fast asleep in his cot, and found Ava had made a start to putting his clothes away.

“Hey, Ava, you don’t need to do that” Charlie said.

“Of course I do” Ava said “I came here to help Ruby and Cal move in. If I didn’t do something then I wouldn’t be helping would I?”

“No, I guess you wouldn’t be” Charlie said before giving Ava a smile.

“Mum, I heard Chloe all last night. I kept getting woken up with it”

“Sorry sweetie. I did try to settle her”

“It’s okay” Ava said “It’s the first night she did that in all the nights she’s been home so it’s okay this time” Charlie smiled once more at Ava before she began to help her put away the rest of Callum’s clothes. “She’s been home how long now Mum? Is it 5 weeks?”

“Eh, yeah” Charlie answered.

“And she’s 16 weeks old?”

“Yup that’s right” Charlie said just as Chloe began to cry. She stepped out of the room and looked down the hall in the direction of the living room. “Angelo” Charlie shouted and Angelo appeared at the living room door. “Your daughter is crying” Charlie said as she pointed to the pram before she turned around and walked back into the room. Angelo stood on the spot for a moment and pulled a face in confusion, before he shrugged it off and went over to comfort Chloe. After a good ten minutes of her crying, Angelo walked into the bedroom where Charlie was with a desperate look plastered upon his face.

“She’s hungry. You’ll need to feed her” Angelo said as he went to hand Chloe over to Charlie, but Charlie stepped back and held her arms up to the side.

“I’m a little busy sorting Callum’s room out right now” Charlie said “There’s some bottle’s the bag, so you could feed her”

“But Charlie, I need to get that painting finished” Angelo said.

“Well you’ll just have to take a little break won’t you” Charlie said before she turned back around and continued to put away the last of Callum’s clothes. Angelo exhaled lightly before he turned around and left the room, muttering something under his breath.

“Nana Nana” Callum said and Charlie turned around to find he had pulled himself up to standing in the cot.

“Hey little man” Charlie cooed as she walked over to the cot.

“Nana” Callum clapped his hands and started to move his feet in excitement as Charlie walked closer to him.

“How can you be so cheery for having just woken up?” Charlie questioned as she lifted Callum out of the cot.

“Nana” Callum said once more as he rested his hand on her shoulder.

“What are you giggling at?” Charlie asked as she looked around at Ava who was standing in the middle of the room in fits of giggles.

“He keeps calling you Nana” Ava said through laughter. “It’s funny”

“But I am his Nana” Charlie said.

“But it’s still funny” Ava laughed. “And you don’t like it so why do you let him call you it?

“Because he is only little” Charlie answered “He doesn’t know many words yet. And to tell you a little secret, I think it’s pretty cute when he calls me Nana, but don’t you go telling Ruby that” Charlie said and Ava laughed.

“Don’t go telling Ruby what?” Ruby asked as she walked into the room. As Callum saw her he started to wiggle excitedly in Charlie’s arms.

“Mama” Callum said as he flung his arms out to go to her.

“Nothing” Ava said as she skipped out of the bedroom, once more laughing.

“Well?” Ruby asked as she took Callum into her arms.

“Oh nothing” Charlie said.

“Right” Ruby raised her eyebrows “Well lunch is ready so we can have something to eat and get a little break from unpacking, I guess” Ruby said as she started to make her way out of the bedroom, with Charlie following behind her. They walked into the living room and picked up a bowl of the pasta from the coffee table and sat down to eat. “So there’s not actually that much more to put away” Ruby said as she put her glass of juice back down on the table. “It taken us a lot less time than I thought”

“Well when you all work together you get the job done a lot faster” Angelo said and Ruby nodded in agreement. Angelo looked down at Chloe who was still drinking from the bottle and smiled lightly.

“Ruby?” Ava questioned as she looked up at her sister.

“Yes Ava?” Ruby asked.

“Well I was wondering where me and Ben were going to sleep when we came to visit because you only have 2 rooms and one is for you and one is for Callum”

“Well you’ll just have to sleep on the floor” Ruby said.

“I can’t sleep on the floor” Ava gasped “It won’t be comfy” Ava said sounding appalled at Ruby’s suggestion.

“Well you can sleep in my bed and we’ll put Ben on a camp bed in Callum’s room” Ruby laughed.

“Yeah okay” Ava smiled “Oh Mum please can we stay tonight” Ava clasped her hands together as she looked across to Charlie.

“No” Charlie shook her head “Let Ruby get settled in first. You can stay another time if Ruby wants you here”

“Okay” Ava sighed. Angelo put the now empty bottle down on the coffee table and winded Chloe.

“Oh, I think someone’s got a dirty nappy” Angelo said as he looked up at Charlie, and went to pass Chloe to her.

“Well change her then” Charlie said as she placed her empty food bowl down on the coffee table.

“Can’t you do it? I’ve still got my lunch to eat” Angelo said and Charlie shook her head lightly as she picked up a magazine that had been put on the table.

“I’m a little busy right now” Charlie said. Angelo sighed lightly as he stood up and left the room to go to change Chloe.

“What was that about?” Ruby asked as she gave Charlie a puzzled look.

“Nothing” Charlie said as she kept her gaze on the magazine.

“Mmm hmm” Ruby said unconvinced.

“Anyways” Charlie said as she put the magazine back down on the table. “Let’s get finished moving you in here. What can I do for you next?”

“Mummy Mummy” Ben shouted as Charlie walked into the room “I’m helping Daddy bath Chloe” Ben said as he handed Angelo the bottle of baby wash.

“Aw that’s really good of you Ben” Charlie smiled.

“Yeah” Ben grinned “She likes it. I don’t like baths”

“No you don’t” Charlie replied “When you were a baby you would scream when me or Daddy tried to put you in the bath”

“When he was a baby?” Angelo questioned “He still screams now”

Ben let out a little giggle “Well I don’t like it. But Chloe screams if you try to take her out”

“She does” Angelo said as he gently washed Chloe. “But you’re just a little water baby aren’t you?” Angelo said as he lightly tickled under Chloe’s chin, resulting in her giving him a gummy smile. “That’s a good smile” Angelo cooed as he tickled her chin once more resulting in her smile widening. “Yes it is” Charlie smiled as she watched Angelo interacting with his daughter. “Do you want to take over?” Angelo asked “Get her dried, dressed and fed?”

“No, I’m going to get Ben sorted” Charlie said as she took a few steps back. “C’mon Benny” Charlie held her hand out and Ben sighed lightly before placing a soft kiss onto Chloe’s forehead. “Night Chloe” Ben said before he jumped up and ran across to Charlie. “Night Daddy” Ben said as Charlie led him out of the room.

“Night mate” Angelo said before lifting Chloe out of the bath, who – just like Ben said she would – began screaming as he lifted her out. “Hey, baby” Angelo said as he wrapped the towel around her and lifted her back into his arms, gently rubbing her back until she stopped crying. The then lay her back down and applied the lotion to her before he put her into her sleep suit. “Now, it looks like you are going to have to put up with Daddy bottle feeding you again because Mummy seems to have taken a day off when it comes to caring for you. Yes she has” Angelo said as he lifted Chloe back into his arms and made his way to the kitchen to get her bottle. Once he’d fed her he went up the stairs and lay her to sleep in her cot. He walked out of Chloe’s room and along the hall, finding Charlie in what used to be Ruby’s bedroom. “Hey” Angelo said as he stepped into the room and walked up behind Charlie. “She’ll be okay on her own you know” Angelo said softly as he reached out and placed his hand onto Charlie’s shoulder.

“Yeah I know” Charlie smiled weakly as she turned to face Angelo. “I’m just going to miss having her around all the time. And little Cal, he’s great”

“Yeah” Angelo nodded “But it’s not as if you are never going to see her. She’s just moved into town. I’m pretty sure you’ll still see as much of each other”

“Yeah, I know” Charlie exhaled lightly. “Now we will need to think of what we can do with this room” Charlie said as she looked around the now empty room.

“We can just turn it into a guest room” Angelo suggested.

“Yeah, because we have people visiting us all the time” Charlie retorted.

“Okay then maybe we’ll have to fill it with another baby” Angelo said as he put his hand onto Charlie’s stomach.

“Yeah right” Charlie laughed nervously “Good joke”

“Who said I was joking?” Angelo questioned.

“I’m not even going to reply to that” Charlie said “I liked your idea of a guest room better”

“I thought you might have” Angelo laughed lightly “And I know that Chloe is our last”

“To right she is” Charlie replied.

“Charlie” Angelo tentatively took told of Charlie’s hand as he looked into her eyes. “Is everything okay?” Angelo asked.

“Yeah, fine why?” Charlie asked feeling slightly confused.

“Well, with Chloe today you’ve kinda just stopped doing anything for her. You’ve had me do everything for her all day” Charlie exhaled lightly as she nodded her head.

“Yeah I know”

“So, why? It would have been nice to have some help” Angelo said.

“It would have been nice to have some help?” Charlie repeated with a raised voice. “Angelo, 2 weeks ago you promised me you would get up for her in the night and I am still waiting for that to happen” Charlie said angrily “She’s been home 5 weeks now and how many times have you gotten up through the night? Hmm?”

“I haven’t” Angelo said quietly as he bowed his head down.

“Exactly” Charlie spat “You haven’t. She is your daughter just as much as she is mines and you are going to need to step up and start taking some of the responsibility at night, because I can’t do it all”

“So, all this today, you making me do everything, it was so I can see what it’s like…..see what I’m doing to you at night?” Angelo questioned and Charlie nodded slightly as she bit her lip.

“Yeah” Charlie said “So, I’m hoping now that I got through to you?”

“Charlie I’m sorry” Angelo said “You know how much I hate getting up through the night. You’ll just have to do all you can to get me to get out of bed the first few times and then once I get into the habit of doing it, then I’ll be fine”

“Right” Charlie said sounding unconvinced “Sorry if I have a hard time believing that but we are going to try this whole you getting up through the night for your daughter thing”

“I know” Angelo nodded “I’m really sorry that it’s taken you to have to do this to get me to realise that I’ve been really unfair. And, maybe we can do alternate nights?”

“Yeah, I do it for the first 5 weeks myself and then when you are going to step up its alternate nights” Charlie said unimpressed.

“Look, I am trying here Charlie” Angelo said.

Charlie laughed in disbelief as she shook her head “Right, well I guess I’m just going to have to take what you are offering” Charlie said “We’ll try alternate nights. But you really promise me that you will get up this time?” Charlie asked.

“I really really promise” Angelo said and as he pulled Charlie into a hug.

“Well you better” Charlie said from the embrace.

“I will” Angelo placed a soft kiss on the top of Charlie head, just as Chloe began to cry. “I’ll go” Angelo said as he pulled apart from the hug.

“No, I want too” Charlie said “I’ve been ignoring her all day and it’s been killing me”

“Okay” Angelo smiled as he tucked a loose strand of Charlie’s hair behind her ear. “You go” Charlie smiled at Angelo before she left the room to see to her daughter.

Two weeks had passed, and like Angelo had promised, he had gotten up every second night for his daughter. Today was going to be Charlie’s first day back at work, and although she was looking forward to going back, she couldn’t help but feel very anxious at the thought of leaving Chloe for so long. “Maybe I should just wait a little longer” Charlie said as she looked up at Angelo. “Maybe just another week or two would make a huge difference for me”

“Charlie. C’mon you’ve sorted it all out now” Angelo said “And me and Chloe are going to be fine. We’ve got a great day planned. Haven’t we baby?” Angelo said as he looked down to Chloe who was in Charlie’s arms and lightly tickled her chin. Chloe gave Angelo a gummy smile.

“Aww I can’t” Charlie said “Angelo, I don’t want to go anymore. I can’t leave her”

“Yes you can” Angelo said “She’ll be fine with me, you don’t need to worry”

“I’m not worrying about that. I know she’ll be perfectly fine with you. I just don’t want to be away from her for this long yet” Charlie looked down at Chloe, who was staring up at her, her big blue eyes fixed on Charlie’s face. “See look at that look she is giving me. She wants me to stay too”

“Charlie” Angelo laughed lightly. “The longer you stay the more wound up you are going to get yourself and the harder it is going to be for you to leave. Now you want to go back to work don’t you?”

“Yes, but –“

“No buts” Angelo shook his head “Now give Chloe to me and go to work. Once you start concentrating on stuff down there you get on fine for the day”

“But I just –“

“Charlie, give me the baby” Angelo said as he held his arms out and Charlie exhaled lightly before looking down at Chloe.

“Mummy will be home soon” Charlie said as she placed a soft kiss onto her forehead before handing her over to Angelo. She stood as if frozen to the spot, watching her daughter in Angelo’s arms.

“Charlie” Angelo said after a few minutes.

“I’m going” Charlie took a deep breath before she placed another kiss onto her daughter’s forehead. She looked up at Angelo and smiled lightly, before placing a quick kiss on his cheek. “Bye” Charlie said before she turned around and walked quickly out of the house, for fear if she didn’t go in that moment, she would change her mind and not go to work at all. During the drive to work all she could think about was Chloe and even though Charlie knew she would be perfectly fine being left with Angelo, she couldn’t help but feel that she had made the wrong choice in going back to work. She thought back to the times when she first left Ava and Ben to return to work, and remembered feeling exactly the same and that over time it got easier for her to be away from them. “C’mon Charlie” Charlie said to herself “Stop being silly. You were the one who wanted to go back to work. Chloe will be fine” She took another deep breath as she parked her car in the car park, before unbuckling her seatbelt and switching off the car engine. She stepped out of the car and walked into the station and walked over to the desk to sign herself in.

“Charlie” Georgie smiled as she leaned over the front desk where Charlie was standing, pen in hand, ready to sign herself in for her first shift. “Its nice to have you back. How have you been?”

Charlie smiled back at Georgie, before exhaled lightly “Yeah, I’ve been good”

“Great, how is the little one doing?” Georgie asked.

“She’s doing great” Charlie smiled lightly before looking down to sign the sheet. She was finding leaving Chloe hard enough, so the last thing she wanted to do was to have to talk about her. “Anyway, I better try and get back into the swing of things. Best get into the office” Charlie said as she walked across the room and stepped into the office which she once shared with her husband. She looked over to Angelo’s desk and felt slightly panicked when she saw all the files and paperwork that she was going to have to start doing again, and possibly stuff she would have to catch up on. Putting her bag down on her desk she took a seat before switching on her computer. She opened her bag and picked out the photo frame with a picture of Ruby, Ava and Ben in and put it back where it used to sit on the desk. She took out a second photo frame, this one having a picture of Callum in, and placed it down next to the first one. The third and final photo she put out was one of Chloe. She lifted her bag down from the desk and put it underneath on the floor before sitting back in her chair and taking a deep breath as she stared directly at the picture of Chloe. Before Charlie had the chance to feel properly settled, there was a knock at the door and Georgie walked in.

“Sarg, reports of a break in at the warehouse down on Ferry Road” Georgie said.

“I’ll take it” Charlie said as she stood up from her desk. She gave the picture of Chloe one last glance and smiled lightly to herself before picking up her car keys and leaving the office.

Charlie walked back into the house and straight over to the moses basket that was in the living room, where Chloe was lying, sound asleep. “Hey, how was she?” Charlie asked as she looked up at Angelo very briefly, before once more looking back down at her baby.

“She was great. We’ve been fine” Angelo said “How was work?”

“Busy, but it was good to be back” Charlie said as she kept her focus on Chloe. “Where are Ava and Ben?” Charlie asked as she picked Chloe up into her arms and gave her a hug.

“Playing up the stairs” Angelo answered and he picked his up his car keys from the coffee table. “Well I better get off to work” Angelo said as he took a few steps towards Charlie.

“Now?” Charlie questioned “I didn’t think you were in until 8?”

Angelo shook his head “No, I start at 6, so I really need to get going” Angelo placed a quick kiss onto Charlie’s cheek before he made his way to the front door. “I’ll try not to wake you up when I get in” Angelo said

“Right yeah, bye then” Charlie said as the front door slammed shut. Charlie sighed lightly before she looked back down at Chloe who was waking up in her arms. “Oh well that was a quick hello and goodbye with Daddy wasn’t it?” Charlie sighed lightly as she watched Chloe looking up at her, her big blue eyes taking in her mothers face. “Oh well, lets go and see what that brother and sister of yours are doing, hmm will we?” Charlie said softly as she lightly rubbed Chloe’s cheek with her finger. Chloe gave Charlie as smile as she did this. “You’ve got a lovely smile” Charlie cooed and as she spoke Chloe’s smile grew wider. “Yes you have” Charlie grinned as she made her way up the stairs to see Ava and Ben.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so a big thank you to everyone who has read this fiction, and to everyone who has ever taken the time to leave a comment, thank you so much because they really kept me going and were really appreciated. So finally the last chapter is here! I really hope you like it and that it was worth the wait!

Chapter 100

Charlie and Ruby were sitting on the beach with Callum sitting in the middle of them, and Chloe was in the pram, having just been put down to sleep. “So you don’t mind that Cal and I are spending his first birthday in the city with Gina?” Ruby asked as she lightly ran her hand through Callum’s soft blonde hair.

“No” Charlie shook her head lightly “But just give me time to come around in the morning to wish him a Happy Birthday before you leave”

“Sure I will” Ruby nodded.

“It will be nice for Gina to have him on his first birthday. You know I get to see him all the time” Charlie said and Ruby nodded.

“Yeah it will be” Ruby smiled “And I’ve got some more stuff I wanted to put into the memory box Gina’s been sorting out for Cal, so I can sort that out too when I am there and…” Ruby looked away from Charlie as she began to play with her wedding rings.

“Ruby….” Charlie made to speak as she reached out and placed her hand into Ruby’s, giving it a gentle squeeze.

“I miss him” Ruby said sadly “I think about him a lot. But tomorrow it’s going to be hard, you know, Cal’s first birthday. It’ll be those kind of days where I think about him the most. He should be here, playing with his son, but….” Ruby trailed off once more as she took a deep breath. “When I think about what I did with the man who took him from me…it still makes me sick to this day”

“Ruby, you….”

“It makes me sad to think about everything that Xav’s missed out on too” Ruby spoke over Charlie as she looked back up at her. “He’s missed out completely on being a father. He’s never got to see his first smile, or hear his first word, he won’t get to see him take his first steps or teach him how to ride a bike or take him fishing or camping, any of the stuff he wanted to do with him, and Cal, he’s lost all that too. He needs a father in his life, but I can’t…… “

“Rubes, you know that you will find someone who you want to be with and Cal can have all that with him and…”

“No” Ruby shook her head “Not after everything that happened with Xavier and then Jay. I think it’s going to be just me and Cal for a good while” Ruby said as she once again ran her hand over her son’s head. “But Cal does need someone and….Angelo, he’ll be there for him won’t he?” Ruby gave Charlie a questioning look. “He’ll do all that male bonding stuff with Callum and be the male influence in his life?”

“Of course he will” Charlie said and Ruby smiled. “Hey, sorry Cal, looks like you are going to have to put up with that Papa of yours a lot more” Charlie spoke softly as she looked down at her grandson.

“Pa” Callum said as he put his hands onto Charlie’s leg and pushed himself up to standing. “Hey what are we doing here?” Charlie questioned as she lightly held onto Callum’s sides, steadying him.

“We going to try walking again?” Ruby questioned as she looked at her son. Callum let out a few babbles in response. Charlie turned Callum around as Ruby shuffled herself back in the sand, furthering the gap between her and Charlie.

“You going to walk to Mama?” Charlie said as she looked down to Cal, who had a big toothy grin on his face.

“Mama” Callum said as he started to take wobbly steps forward, getting closer to Ruby.

“Go on baby” Ruby beamed “You’re doing it” Ruby held her arms out in front of her as Callum approached her before he fell into her arms. Ruby lifted her son into the air as she cheered. “Hey, baby you walked, you did it” Ruby beamed.

“Who’s a clever boy?” Charlie clapped and Callum squealed before clapping his hands together. He pointed to Charlie as Ruby put him back on the sand and he started to walk back over to Charlie as he held his arms out. As he reached Charlie she wrapped her arms around him, giving him a big hug and Ruby once again cheered in excitement at her son walking. “Oh the fun is going to begin now, Rubes” Charlie said as Callum stood in front of her, holding onto her hands. “He’s going to be shooting off everywhere”

“That’s fine. I’m so proud he is walking” Ruby grinned “Aww my little boy is growing up so fast. I can’t believe he is almost one already”

“Me either” Charlie said as she sat Callum down on her knee. “Enjoy him when he is this age because let me tell you when they turn into teenagers, my God, you’ll probably have times where you feel like you want to kill him”

“Oi” Ruby said as she lightly hit Charlie’s arm.

“What?” Charlie asked.

“Well considering I am the only one of your children who has lived their teen years that’s gotta be some reference to my behaviour”

“Oh” Charlie bit her lip “Nah, you were a good kids Rubes. I’m sure this little guy will be too” Charlie said and Ruby smiled.

“So, how’s things going now you’ve been back at work a couple of weeks?” Ruby asked.

“Well I’ve got my wish of being back at work, but now I don’t see the kids as much and as for Angelo, I think it was…..I don’t actually remember the last time that we were able to have a conversation”

“Well that’s not good” Ruby said “You two need to talk, especially after everything….”

“I know” Charlie nodded as she cut Ruby off. “But with us working different shifts one of us is always on their way to work, just as the other’s has come home”

“Well you need to sort something out” Ruby said “Cos there’s no way you can continue like that for much longer”

“I know Rubes, but it’s just finding the time to talk to him about what we are going to have to change” Charlie sighed, just as Chloe had began to stir in the pram. Charlie looked down to her watch before she stood up and lifted her daughter out of the pram. “Do you want your lunch baby?” Charlie cooed as Chloe settled into her arms. She opened up the bag that was hanging over the handles of the pram and took out a bottle so she could feed her daughter.

“Okay so what about tonight?” Ruby questioned “If the kids are too much of a distraction I will watch them so you have space and time to talk” Ruby said as she watched Callum crawling about the sand in front of her.

“I’m working” Charlie said “Angelo gets home from work at 7 and I need to leave as soon as he gets in to get there on time to start my shift”

“Mum” Ruby exhaled lightly “This was one stupid plan”

“I know” Charlie sighed “But, Angelo promised me that he would watch Chloe all day and Ben and Ava so I could work but then he went back on that promise, so it’s not entirely my fault”

“I didn’t say it was your fault. You just need to think of a better solution” Ruby said “Can’t you just get a nanny?”

Charlie sighed as she looked down at Chloe, who was still taking the bottle. “That is what we are going to have to do, but I just don’t feel comfortable with the idea of leaving her with a stranger. She was so early, and now she is all vulnerable and she is…”

“Mum” Ruby said as she put her hand onto Charlie’s arm. “Chloe is doing amazing and the nanny’s not exactly going to be a stranger for long, is she? You’ll get to know her, and it’s her job to care for kids so Chloe will be safe”

Charlie exhaled lightly as she bit her lip. “I know. When Angelo and I have time we’ll find someone”

“Good” Ruby smiled

“Yeah so anyways, when is this housewarming of yours happening?” Charlie asked as she looked up at Ruby. “You’ve lived in the house almost 4 weeks now and still, there’s been no party”

“Oh I just decided against having one” Ruby said “But if you want me too….”

“I don’t mind” Charlie said “But Ava keeps bugging me about when you are having this party”

“Oh well if Ava wants me to do something” Ruby laughed “I guess a little gathering won’t be so bad”

“I think she really just wants to get a new dress and she’s using this party as an excuse to get one” Charlie said.

“Oh well if it’s going to help Ava get a new dress then I’m having one” Ruby laughed “But you and Angelo both need to take the day off work and be there” Ruby said and Charlie nodded.

“Okay, just let us know when it is and we’ll both try to be there” Charlie smiled as she took the empty bottle from Chloe’s mouth and proceeded to wind her. “Right, so I need to go pick Ben up from nursery” Charlie said as she stood up from where she was sitting, and put the bottle back into the bag, before laying Chloe back down in the pram. “Bye bye Cal” Charlie said as she waved to Callum. Callum waved back to Charlie as a big grin appeared on his face.

“See you later” Ruby said as Charlie left.

“Hey, Rubes” Angelo said as he brought the phone up to his ear. “Yeah it’s still on….no, just make sure you get her there……she will…..okay thank you…..bye” Angelo put his mobile back into his pocket as he walked into the nursery, where Charlie was, getting Chloe dressed for the party.

“Who was that on the phone?” Charlie asked as she buttoned up the back of Chloe’s dress before lifting her up into her arms.

“That was the station” Angelo said “I need to go into work”

“No, Angelo, no” Charlie shook her head lightly. “It’s Ruby’s housewarming, you need to be there”

“I’m sorry Charlie there’s no one else who can cover” Angelo said “I’ll come round to Ruby’s after work”

“Angelo” Charlie said angrily “We need this time please don’t go”

“I have too” Angelo said “And what do you mean we need this time?” Angelo lightly scratched the side of his head as he spoke.

“If you don’t know Angelo, just go to work” Charlie spat before leaving the room. Angelo followed her through to Ava’s room, where they found Ava and Ben playing connect 4. “Right kids, you ready to go to Ruby’s?”

“Yeah” Ava and Ben said in unison as they jumped up from the floor and ran out of the room. “See you later then” Charlie seethed as she walked away from Angelo, and down the stairs, and grabbed her car keys from the hanger in the kitchen, before going outside to find Ava and Ben already waiting by her car. She strapped Chloe into the car seat before she drove the short distance to Ruby’s house.

“Ruby, Ruby” Ava beamed as she burst into the house. “Look at the new dress Mum bought me for today” Ava said as she gave a little twirl in her new pink sun dress.

“Aww jealous” Ruby said “Mum didn’t buy me a new dress for the party”

“You could buy you own” Ava said “You’ve got your own money”

“Oh right” Ruby laughed.

“Ruby?” Ben questioned “Where is Callum cos I’ve brought toy trains we can play with” Ben said as he held up two of his many toy trains that he had brought to play with.

“He’s still napping right now, you can play with him later” Ruby said as she lightly ruffled Ben’s hair.

“Okay, Ava lets go play” Ben said as he pulled onto her arm and the pair of them ran out of the room.

“So, where is Angelo?” Ruby asked as she looked up at Charlie who had a smiling Chloe in her arms.

“Don’t ask” Charlie snapped and Ruby pulled a face.

“So I’m guessing he isn’t coming?” Ruby questioned.

“He went into work” Charlie sighed “So much for being able to spend some time together day”

“You might have time later” Ruby said “Maybe he won’t be that long at work”

“You know what? I can’t even talk about this right now. Clearly he doesn’t care that we don’t ever see each other anymore” Charlie said as she took a seat on the couch.

“Of course he will care, Mum” Ruby said as she took a seat next to Charlie.

“So then why go into work on the first day in weeks that we have to spend time together?” Charlie asked as she gave Ruby a questioning look. Before Ruby had a chance to answer, her mobile began to ring.

“Hello” Ruby said “Yes……oh okay, I’ll let her know” Ruby hung up the phone and put it down on the table before looking back up at Charlie. “That was Angelo, he wants you to go and meet him at that viewpoint at Reefton Lakes. They need your help with something”

“What?” Charlie questioned.

“Like I said” Ruby replied “There’s some trouble up at Reefton viewpoint and they want you to go up”

“Well I am not going” Charlie said “Rubes, it’s your party”

“Just go” Ruby said encouragingly as she lightly pushed on Charlie arm, trying to get her to stand up from the couch. “No one else is here yet anyway and you probably won’t be that long” Charlie sighed lightly as she stood up from the couch, handing Chloe to Ruby.

“Why did he phone you and not me anyways?” Charlie questioned.

“I don’t know” Ruby shook her head as she took Chloe into her arms. “It doesn’t really matter, just go” Charlie walked out to her car and drove up to Reefton viewpoint. She pulled a face in confusion as she got out of the car, noting that no one else was there. She got out of the car and exhaled lightly as she looked around trying to see someone.

“Charlie” Angelo smiled as he walked towards her.

“Angelo what’s going on?” Charlie questioned “Ruby said I was to come up here to help with a police thing but then…”

“Charlie” Angelo stepped forward and took her hand into his “There is no police thing. I’m not working today that was just our way of getting you up here”

“Who’s way?” Charlie questioned as she followed Angelo as he led her along the path.

“Mine and Ruby’s” Angelo answered “We’ve not spent much time lately when it’s just been me and you so I thought it would be nice for us to do something together”

“Right” Charlie nodded “Wouldn’t it have been easier to have just asked me instead of doing all this?”

“Well I thought this way would be more romantic” Angelo said as they stopped walking and reached a lookout area that overlooked the whole of the bay and the ocean. “You know, you thinking I’ve bailed out the first day in ages that we get to spend together but then you find out I’ve not really and have something nice planned. Romantic, no?” Angelo questioned.

Charlie looked down to see a blanket, cushions and a picnic basket. “Well, you do try” Charlie smiled as she looked back up at Angelo.

“So ehm sit down” Angelo said as he pointed to the ground. Charlie sat down and Angelo sat next her, opening the picnic basket and pulling out a dozen red roses before handing them to Charlie.

“Angelo” Charlie exhaled lightly. “Thank you, they’re lovely” Angelo gave Charlie a smile before he pulled a bottle of champagne out of the basket before bringing the glasses out. “Ooh roses, champagne, you really are pulling out all the stops, aren’t you” Charlie laughed lightly as she watched Angelo pouring the glasses. Angelo smiled lightly as he handed Charlie a glass.

“God loves a trier” Angelo grinned and Charlie smiled.

“So, your actually letting me drink alcohol?” Charlie questioned before taking a drink of the champagne.

“I’m sure one glass won’t affect you” Angelo said.

“Yeah” Charlie agreed “But you know, we both need to drive back home so maybe drinking alcohol isn’t the best idea right now anyways”

“Oh” Angelo laughed “I didn’t think about that. Not going to be good if two cops get pulled over for drink driving”

“Nope” Charlie laughed before she looked deep into Angelo’s eyes. “This is nice”

“What is?” Angelo asked feeling slightly confused. “The champagne?”

“No, not the champagne” Charlie laughed “Well yes, the champagne is nice, but I meant us, talking” Charlie said “This has to be the longest conversation we have had in ages. These past few weeks when we’ve both been working different shifts, we’ve hardly had a spare 5 minutes to see each other” Charlie exhaled lightly “Angelo, you were right, this plan we had for work, it’s not working. We can’t really live like this. It’s not good for our relationship to never see each other and I think especially after the year we’ve had we need to spend time together because that’s the only way we are going to fix this and get back to what we once had, because although this have improved, we’re still not…..you know it’s not like it -”

“I know” Angelo spoke over Charlie as he reached out and took her hand into his. “So what do you suppose we do?”

“We need to look into getting a nanny” Charlie said.

“Are you sure that you’d be comfortable with getting a nanny?” Angelo asked.

Charlie exhaled lightly as she nodded her head. “I’m sure we can find someone who I’d be comfortable with and that way we would be able to work more similar shifts and it would allow us to spend more time as couple working on this relationship and we’ll have more time to spend as a family with the kids”

“Okay, we’ll sort something out” Angelo smiled as he lightly squeezed Charlie’s hand. “And Charlie, we will get back to what it was. I know it” Charlie smiled lightly as she moved closer to Angelo and rested her head against his shoulder. “I see you’ve put your wedding rings back on” Angelo said as he ran his finger over her rings. Charlie nodded lightly as she looked down at her hand.

“Yeah” Charlie said quietly.

“You did only have them off because of the baby weight, right?” Angelo asked tentatively, as he once again ran his finger over them.

Charlie bit her lip as she looked up at Angelo, exhaling lightly. “I’d be lying if I said it was all about that” Charlie said apprehensively. Angelo let go of Charlie’s hand as he opened his mouth slightly, but no words came out. “I mean, I had to take them off, they were too tight, but I probably could have put them back on a good month ago now”

“So, why…” Angelo trailed off as he gave Charlie a questioning look.

“I don’t know” Charlie shrugged her shoulders as she looked down “It’s just been hard…..we’ve had a tough year and then with Chloe coming along when she did…Angelo, it’s hard to…with a new baby, it was just…..”

“I know what you are trying to say” Angelo said “Charlie, I know it’s been tough lately and things aren’t great with us, but we both want the same thing at the end of the day, right?” Angelo questioned and Charlie nodded. “Charlie, I want so much for us to have what we had this time last year, but right now, all that matters is that we love each other and we are working on this. Don’t try to force it; it’ll come back over time”

“I know” Charlie smiled as she looked up at Angelo and looked deep into his eyes. Her smile grew wider before she placed a soft kiss on his lips.

“I love you, Charlie” Angelo smiled as they pulled back from the kiss.

“I love you too” Charlie smiled as she watched Angelo once again reaching into the picnic basket and lifting out a small box.

“Charlie, I wanted to give you this, to show you how much I love you and how much you mean to me. After what I did with Shelly, I thought I’d lost you, the kids, my family, everything that mattered to me. But you gave me that second chance and I couldn’t be more thankful. Charlie I love you so much and I just want you to know that and -”

“I know you do” Charlie smiled as she lightly squeezed Angelo’s arm. Angelo smiled as he opened the box to reveal a white gold eternity ring, set with 3 diamonds. “Angelo” Charlie gasped as she saw the ring. “It’s gorgeous, that must have cost you….”

“You’re worth it, Charlie” Angelo smiled as he took the ring out of the box and put it on her finger. They both looked up at the same time and met with each other’s gaze. Angelo leaned forward and kissed her, this time, the kiss being more passionate.

“So” Charlie said as she pulled back from the kiss. “Is there actually any food in there or is it just full of gifts?” Charlie asked as she pointed to the basket. Angelo laughed lightly as he reached into the basket and pulled out a box of strawberries.

“There are some strawberries” Angelo grinned as he put the box down in front of Charlie.

“Strawberries and champagne” Charlie laughed as she looked up at Angelo.

“What’s funny?” Angelo asked.

“Nothing” Charlie smiled as she once again leaned into Angelo, resting her head against his chest. He smiled lightly as he wrapped his arm around her, before placing a kiss on the top of her head. “So not that this isn’t lovely, but, shouldn’t we really get back to Ruby’s party?” Charlie asked as she looked up at Angelo.

“There wasn’t one” Angelo replied “Again that was just Ruby’s plan to get us both to take a day off work so we could do this” Angelo said “So, it’s just me and you, all day” Angelo smiled.

“All day?” Charlie smiled and Angelo nodded before placing a soft kiss on her forehead.

Six months later

After almost a month of looking, Charlie finally found a nanny who she felt comfortable leaving Chloe with. This allowed Charlie and Angelo to work pretty much the same shifts, and there was much more time for them to spend not only as a family with the kids, but as a couple, and their marriage had strengthened greatly because of it. Chloe had had further check-ups with her Doctor, and although she was still behind with her development, which was to be expected anyway, she was doing great, and so far had showed no signs of brain damage or problems due to her IVH. The Doctor was pretty certain that she would grow up to be a happy, healthy child, and would catch up with her development by the time she hit primary school.

“Mummy” Ben shouted from the swimming pool, where he and Ava were playing. “When are you going to come in?”

“Later” Charlie said as she looked into the buggy to find Chloe was still asleep. “When Chloe wakes up from her nap, I will come in with her”

“You could still come in now Mum” Ava said as she pushed herself out of the pool before jumping right back in.

“Lunch is nearly ready anyway” Angelo answered as he turned the food on the barbeque. “Get out the pool kids” Angelo said and Ben and Ava sighed lightly before getting out of the pool and wrapping a towel around themselves to dry before jumping up on a seat, joining Charlie, Ruby and Callum at the table.

So, Ruby, how’s the uni course going?” Angelo asked as he plated up a burger and handed it to his son.

“Great” Ruby smiled “I’m really enjoying it” Ruby had started a music course at university, and was hoping eventually to become a music teacher. She needed to be in the uni in the city 3 days a week, but continued to live in the Bay and travelled into the city on the days she needed to be there. Gina, who had recently decided to retire early, was more than happy to look after Callum when Ruby was at her classes.

“That’s great” Angelo smiled as he handed Ruby a kebab from the barbeque.

Yeah” Ruby smiled as she lightly ran her hand over Callum’s hair.

“Nana” Callum said as he wriggled in Ruby’s lap. Ruby put Callum down on the floor and he ran across to where Charlie was sitting. “Uppy” Callum said as he held his arms up in front of him. Charlie lifted Callum up and sat him down on her knee and smiled as she gave him a hug.

“Ava wanted a sausage, right?” Angelo asked and Ava nodded as she took the plate form Angelo.

“And Nana wanted a kebab” Angelo laughed as he walked across to Charlie and put her plate down in front on her.

“Why did you just call Mummy Nana Daddy?” Ben asked as he looked up at Angelo with a quizzical look on his face.

“Because she is a Nana” Angelo laughed “But she is a hot one” Angelo said before placing a kiss on Charlie’s lips.

Comments

Archived