I'll Always Be Here

Guest Danni02

Thank you, Cally, Sam, Sabrina and Charis for the comments! :D I hope you like this next one.

Chapter 52

Ruby walked back into the living room with a big smile on her face and joined Charlie, who was sitting on the couch with Callum on her lap. “Someone looks happy” Charlie said as she looked round at Ruby.

“Yeah....so what did you think of him?” Ruby asked

“He seems nice” Charlie said slowly before she bit her lip.

“Maybe you want to try to sound a bit more convincing” Ruby said. “What is it?” Ruby asked as she saw the look on Charlie’s face.

“What?” Charlie asked

“C’mon mum, you are thinking something, what is it?” Ruby asked

“There’s just something about him. Just a vibe I got. Just make sure you know the real him before you get too involved” Charlie said as she gently moved Ruby’s hair behind her ear.

“So, what, you are telling me not to sleep with him to soon?” Ruby said and Charlie exhaled lightly before looking down at the floor.

“I’m just telling you to be careful Ruby. I don’t want you getting hurt again, not so soon after Xavier”

“So this is your way of telling me you think I’m moving on to quickly?” Ruby asked “I know he’s only been gone 8 months but, with Jay, it feels right. I really like him mum”

“Rubes this isn’t about moving on from Xavier” Charlie said as she looked back up at Ruby and placed her hand onto her daughters shoulder. “It’s about Jay, who he really is. Did you see the look on his face when his phone rang and then the way he left so quickly afterwards? That was strange” Charlie said

“So he got a call and had to leave. Maybe he was late for a meeting or something” Ruby said

“No there was more to it than that” Charlie said “Rubes, has he ever done that before?”

“Ehm” Ruby screwed her face up. “He once got a text and left, but he said it was someone from work and he needed to go back in”

“And you’re sure there has been nothing else? Nothing you found strange or -”

“Gosh, mum take your cop hat off” Ruby interrupted “There’s nothing going on with him”

“I don’t have my cop hat on Rubes. I’m talking to you as your mother. I just....there’s just something about him I don’t trust” Charlie said

“How can you judge him after meeting him for like 2 minutes” Ruby said “I know him better than you and there’s nothing wrong with him. Seriously mum, I love that you are concerned but, you have nothing to worry about” Ruby said. Charlie sighed lightly as she nodded her head.

“Okay, well I’ll reserve judgement for now” Charlie said “But Rubes if you start getting suspicious of anything, please talk to me”

“Yeah sure” Ruby said as raised her eyebrows.

Charlie smiled as she gently rubbed Ruby’s arm. “Well I need to go pick up Ben from nursery” Charlie said as she looked down at her watch.

“No, you need to go talk to Angelo” Ruby said “I’ll pick up Ben”

“No Rubes, I’m going to pick up my son. I’ll talk to the other child later” Charlie said

“Mum” Ruby laughed lightly “Go talk to Angelo now. Just sort this out before you two drag it out into some long argument that’s not needed”

“Right” Charlie sighed “I’ll go talk to him”

“Good. Now c’mon you” Ruby cooed as she took her son into her arms. “Let’s go pick up Ben” Ruby said she walked out of sight.

Charlie found him in what would be the baby’s room, leaning over the cot holding onto a blue baby grow that he has purchased. “I see you’ve bought the cot already” Charlie said. Angelo looked up at Charlie briefly before looking down again. Charlie sighed lightly before she walked further into the room and stood next to Angelo. “I thought this was something we were supposed to do together, go shopping for all the stuff”

“I’ll take it back then” Angelo said as he looked up at Charlie. “We’ll pick stuff out together”

“No don’t. It’s fine” Charlie said before she pursed her lips together. “Look Angelo, I’m sorry that it’s a girl, I…”

“It’s not your fault. You don’t decide what it’s going to be, it’s just what happens in there” Angelo said as he pointed to Charlie’s stomach. “I just wanted another son so much that I let myself believe it was a boy and when the doctor said it was a girl, I just…I….” Angelo exhaled lightly as he looked down at Charlie. “I didn’t mean to act like that. I didn’t mean to make you feel embarrassed or bad or like I don’t want the baby anymore, because I do, of course I do” Angelo said he ran his hand over Charlie’s stomach.

“You’d just rather it was a boy” Charlie said

“I’ll settle for a daddy’s girl” Angelo said as he gently rubbed Charlie’s bump.

“You know Angelo, just because Ava isn’t into soccer or fishing or camping or bugs and muddy things, or whatever else it is you and Ben get up to, it doesn’t mean that this girl will be the same. She could love all that stuff” Charlie said before she gently rubbed Angelo’s arm “You can still do all that stuff you wanted with Ben and this baby. But if it really has to be the whole boys bonding thing then you can do that stuff with Ben and Callum. Callum’s your grandson; it would be nice for him to spend some time with his Granddad”

“Yeah, your right” Angelo smiled “And I’m Granddad but you’re not Granny? How does that work?” Angelo said

“I’m too young to be called Granny” Charlie said

“Charlie, I’m younger than you” Angelo said

“Eh…..” Charlie paused before exhaling lightly “I don’t have another argument” Charlie said and Angelo laughed lightly as he took her hands into his and pulled her close to him.

“Listen Charlie, I’m so sorry for this morning at the hospital and how I acted. All that matters is that we are going to have a new baby. This time last year I never would have even thought that would be a possibility. You had your mind made up that Ben was your last and no matter what I said you wouldn’t change it. But now you are having this baby for me and that should be enough, Charlie….it is enough” Angelo smiled “You kept this baby for me and then I went and……”

“Hey, no” Charlie said as she placed her index finger on Angelo lips. “We’re not talking about her again. She’s in the past and that’s where she is going to stay. Now we look to the future and the arrival of our baby girl” Charlie smiled

“Yeah, our baby girl” Angelo smiled as he once again ran his hand over Charlie’s stomach. Charlie smiled before she wrapped her arms around his neck and looked deep into his eyes. She leaned up and kissed him softly on the lips. Angelo smiled before they kissed again, this time, the kiss becoming more passionate. Charlie pulled back and they stared at each other, looking deep into each other’s eyes.

“I love you, Angelo” Charlie said as she ran her hands down his arms and wrapped them around his waist.

“I love you too” Angelo smiled as he wrapped his arms around her and gently rubbed her back. He placed a gentle kiss on the top of her head before they stood there silently in the embrace.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you all so much for the comments. :) Laura158, dont apologise for the length, I loved it! Thank you so much for reviewing every one you had misssed. Made me smile loads. :D Once again, I'm not so sure about this update, so please let me know what you think. :)

Chapter 53

Charlie, Angelo, Ruby, Ava and Ben were sitting at the table eating their dinner when talk turned to a name for the baby. “What about Jade?” Angelo suggested.

“Oh no” Ava said “Jade is a bully in my class. We can’t call the baby that”

“Oh right then” Angelo said “What about Lucie?”

“Well Lucie is Jade’s friend so I don’t want that either” Ava said before she took a drink of her orange juice.

“Oh and it’s your choice is it?” Angelo said

“I can help chose” Ava said

“Okay” Angelo laughed lightly. “So what names do you like?” Angelo asked

“Well let’s see…..there’s Gabriella, Taylor, Kelsie, Sharp-”

“Hey Ava, how about a name of someone who isn’t in High School Musical?” Ruby said.

Ava looked up at Ruby and pulled a face. “Okay….Hannah or Miley or Lily or Amber or Ashley” Ava said as she stuck her tongue out at Ruby.

“Great now its Hannah Montana’s cast” Ruby said as she rolled her eyes.

“Well they are nice names” Ava yelled “Aren’t they mummy”

“Eh yeah…..Lily, I like Lily” Charlie smiled as she looked up at Angelo to see what his thoughts were on the name.

“It’s a flower” Angelo said as he screwed his face up.

“Yeah but it’s also a girl’s name” Ruby said

“But it’s a flower. She’s not a flower” Angelo said

“Right okay” Charlie sighed “We won’t call her Lily. What about Aimee or Isabella?”

“Not the first time you’ve mentioned those” Angelo said

“Yeah, well I like them” Charlie smiled

“Isabella Rosetta, seriously?” Ruby said “Don’t call your child that”

“What, why not?” Angelo asked

“Because it just sounds.....just don’t” Ruby said

“Hmmm. What about Jasmine. I like Jasmine” Angelo smiled

“Isn’t Jasmine a flower?” Ruby asked

“No she’s a princess” Ava said and Charlie and Ruby let out a small laugh. “Well she is mummy” Ava said

“Yeah, I know sweetie” Charlie said

“So why did you laugh at me” Ava asked sadly

“Because it’s also a flower” Ruby said

“It’s a flowering shrub” Angelo said, correcting Ruby.

“So, a flower then” Ruby said as she raised her eyebrows.

“No, it’s different” Angelo argued

“How’s it any different? If I don’t get Lily because it’s a flower, then you don’t get Jasmine” Charlie said

“Right. Fair enough” Angelo exhaled lightly “What do you think mate?” Angelo asked as he looked down at his son, who had so far remained very quiet.

“I like Ben” Ben said quietly.

“That’s your name” Ava laughed “We can’t call the baby Ben too and anyways it’s a girl” Ava said

“I like Charlie” Ben said

“That’s mum’s name” Ava laughed

“Well I like mummy” Ben said before he jumped down from his seat and climbed up onto Charlie’s knee and cuddled into her. Charlie smiled as she placed a kiss on her sons head and gently rubbed his back.

“What about daddy mate?” Angelo said

“You’ve got a funny name” Ben laughed

“Oh thanks mate” Angelo said, looking slightly disappointed.

“Well as much as I would love to sit and talk about baby names all night” Ruby said, raising her eyebrows as she stood up from the table. “I’m going into town to meet Jay”

“Aw can I come Ruby” Ava asked as she jumped down from the seat.

“No you can’t” Ruby said

“But I like Jay” Ava said “Mummy tell her to let me go” Ava stomped her feet as she sulked.

“You’re not going Ava” Charlie said

“But I want too” Ava cried

“Well tough” Ruby shouted

“Dad” Ava said as she looked to Angelo and sulked.

“No” Angelo said “You’re not going”

“I want too” Ava shouted

"Ava, you’re not going out. You’ve still not done your homework, so go and get that done, now” Charlie said sternly.

“Not fair” Ava sulked before she ran out of the room.

“Can I go with Ruby?” Ben asked

“No you can’t” Charlie said

“Well can I go play?” Ben asked

“Yeah sure you can” Charlie smiled and Ben jumped down from her knee and ran out of the room.

“Right well, I am away” Ruby said before looking at Charlie and seeing the look on her face. “Mum don’t start” Ruby said

“I wasn’t going to say a word” Charlie said as she stood up from the table and started to clean the plates away.

“Good. See you later then” Ruby said before she left house.

“Yes, we will watch your son for you” Charlie muttered as she walked over to the sink with the plates and placed them down.

“You don’t like this guy, do you?” Angelo said as he began to help Charlie clear the table.

“No” Charlie exhaled lightly. “There’s something about him Angelo. He seems a bit weird and like he is trying to hard”

“So he just wants to make a good impression on you. You’re her mother, of course he is going to try around you” Angelo said as he scraped the leftovers into the bin.

“No, Angelo, I think there is more to him” Charlie said

“So what, are you going to stop her from seeing him?” Angelo asked

“Well she is an adult, I can’t stop her from seeing him. I can only tell her my concerns and hope she will listen” Charlie said

“I’m sure you have nothing to worry about. You’re probably reading too much into it. The fact that you are an over protective mother and a cop probably just makes it all...”

“I’m not being over protective of her Angelo. There’s something about that guy, I don’t trust him and he is going to end up hurting her, I just know it”

“Well you can only be there for her if he does. You’ve told her what you think of him, but now it’s up to Rubes to decide” Angelo said as he gently rubbed Charlie’s arm. “But don’t judge this guy too soon. You hardly know him yourself, you could be wrong” Angelo said

“Yeah well first impressions haven’t been good” Charlie sighed “But I will give him a chance, for Ruby’s sake” Charlie said and Angelo smiled as he wrapped his arms around Charlie and looked deep into her sparking blue eyes. “What?” Charlie asked.

“Nothing” Angelo smiled as he moved Charlie’s hair behind her ear.

“C’mon then, lets get these dishes finished” Charlie said as she gently pushed Angelo back before she walked over to the table and picked up the kids’ juice cups.

“What about Ebony?” Angelo suggested

“Ebony” Charlie screwed her face up “You know I am quiet glad that you weren’t here to suggest names for the other kids considering what you are coming up with”

“What’s wrong with Ebony? And I was here when Ben was born” Angelo said

“What’s right with Ebony” Charlie muttered

“Okay, what about Sylvia?”

“Sylvia” Charlie once again screwed her face up as she turned to face Angelo “We were closer with Ebony”

“What about Olivia?” Angelo said

“I love it, but Jack and Martha have an Olivia” Charlie said

“Yeah, so” Angelo said

“So we can’t use the same name as our friends. There’s plenty others” Charlie said

Angelo sighed lightly as he began loading the dishwasher “Okay, you’ll love this one” Angelo smiled as he looked up at Charlie. Charlie looked at Angelo and waited for him to reveal the name as she walked back across the kitchen. “Megan”

“Megan. I do love it” Charlie smiled

“So is she Megan?” Angelo asked

“It’s a possibility” Charlie smiled “I still love Aimee”

“Okay, so Aimee or Megan” Angelo smiled “Why don’t we wait till she is born and see what she looks like and for the time being she can still be Peanut” Angelo grinned as he gently ran his hand over her stomach.

“Sounds good” Charlie said before she looked up at Angelo and they kissed softly.

Jay ran his hands through his hair and exhaled lightly. “Can you please leave now? My girlfriend will be here any minute”

“C’mon mate, this is what, the third month in a row you’ve not got the cash on time” the man said “I’m not leaving till I get it”

“Please, just give me a few more days” Jay pleaded “Then I’ll get it to you”

“Mate, when you promised me this cash for my silence, I thought it was an all at once upfront payment, not these monthly instalments, that aren’t even monthly instalments” the man said “Start paying up or I’ll go to the cops”

“Okay mate I promise by the end of the week you will have the money. I will throw in an extra grand too” Jay said in a desperate attempt to get the man to leave before Ruby arrived.

“Two grand” the man said

“What, I can’t afford that much more” Jay said and the man looked around the apartment and started eying up Jay’s stuff.

“Better get selling some of that nice stuff then” he said “Friday, the usual place and time, plus two grand extra” the man said as the door bell rang. “That’ll be the girlfriend now, the one I met last month that’s her right?” the man asked and Jay nodded “Pretty little thing” the man smirked as he went to open the door. “Hey there” the man said as he looked down at Ruby. Ruby did a double take of the man as he walked down the hall.

“Rubes, hey” Jay smiled as he pulled her into the house and planted a kiss on her, mostly to distract her from asking about the man, who he was sure she had recognised.

“Hey” Ruby smiled as she looked up at Jay.

“So, I thought we could watch a movie” Jay said as they walked over to the couch.

“Yeah sure” Ruby smiled

“I even got a chick flick” Jay said as he took Ruby’s hand and let her to the couch.

“Oh good” Ruby laughed lightly as she took a seat on the couch

“Yeah, so can I get you a drink?” Jay asked

“Yeah please” Ruby smiled and Jay walked into the kitchen and appeared out a few minutes later a bottle of wine and two glasses. He sat down on the couch and put his arm around her and Ruby snuggled into him as they watched the movie.

“Well that was good” Jay said as he rolled his eyes.

“You loved it really” Ruby said as she looked up at Jay laughing slightly.

“Sure” Jay said before he looked deep into Ruby eyes. She smiled as she moved closer to him and they kissed softly. Jay wrapped his arms around Ruby as the kiss became more passionate before he pushed her down on the couch.

Thank you so much Cally, Sarah, Laura158, Sabrina, Charis, Barbara and Rach Loves H&A for your comments. I really love to read what you think. Once again, I am not so sure about this one, so please let me know what you think. :)

Chapter 54

“So are you still not going to tell me?” Charlie asked as she placed the coffee cup down in front of Morag and took a seat at the table next to her.

“Charlie I’ve already told you, I –”

“C’mon Morag, you seriously don’t expect me believe you were there to see Ava getting her cast off. Fair enough you can tell Ava that, but I know that’s not the truth. Morag…..” Charlie paused as she cupped her hand around her cup of tea and looked away for a moment as she pursed her lips together. “Morag, are you sick?” Charlie said, as she looked back up at her.

“You know I can’t believe it’s be over a month and you are still going on about this” Morag said

“Because I care about you Morag, and I’m worried. If you are sick then we deserve to know and –”

Morag leaned forward and gently placed her hand on top of Charlie’s “Charlie. I can promise you that I am not sick”

“So then why were you at the hospital?” Charlie asked

Morag exhaled lightly and she leaned back in the chair. “That, Charlie, is quite frankly none of your business”

Charlie sighed and she gently nodded her head “Okay fair enough. But you’re not sick?”

“Do I look sick?” Morag asked and Charlie looked Morag up and down before shaking her head. “I’m fine Charlie. You don’t need to worry about anything” Morag said Charlie smiled lightly. “Now, how are things going with you and Angelo now you are back living together?” Morag asked, keen to change

the subject.

“Good” Charlie smiled “Really good. He wants to take me out for a meal on Saturday night, just the two of us and I said I would ask if you could take Ben for the night”

“Sorry Charlie, I can’t. I have to go into the city” Morag replied, before taking a drink of her coffee.

“Oh right. You go there an awful lot lately” Charlie said

“Yes, just catching up with an old friend” Morag said

“A friend?” Charlie asked

“Yes. A friend” Morag said “Where’s Ava going if it’s just Ben that needs looking after?” Morag asked; keen to change the subject away from her, once again.

“She’s going to a sleepover” Charlie answered

“Oh right, well I’m sorry, I can’t this weekend” Morag said “What about Ruby?”

“She - like always now – is meeting Jay” Charlie sighed lightly as she ran her hands around her cup of tea.

“Jay?” Morag questioned

“Her boyfriend” Charlie said as she raised her eyebrows “Or looks like he is heading to be her boyfriend”

“So she has found someone she likes and wants to spend time with, is that such a bad thing?” Morag asked

“It is when it’s with Jay” Charlie said “I don’t like him, I don’t trust him and he’s not good for Ruby”

“Of course you will say that Charlie. You’re her mother. No one is ever going to be good enough for her in your eyes”

“The guy is bad news. This has got nothing to do with whether I think he is good enough for Ruby or not”

“How long have you met this guy for?” Morag asked

“About 5 minutes” Charlie answered slowly before biting her lip.

“You can’t have an opinion on the guy after talking to him for that long, Charlie, give this guy a chance and get to know him before you write him off” Morag said

Charlie exhaled heavily as she shook her head “You’re as bad as Angelo. He’s saying the same”

“Well he is right” Morag said “You need to give this Jay a chance to prove himself before you go accusing him of being a bad person”

“Oh, I need to give Jay a chance” Charlie said and Morag sighed lightly before nodded his head.

“Okay okay, I know” Morag as she held out her hands in front of her. “I will stop being so hard on you about Angelo. I will give him a chance to prove himself too”

“Hmm” Charlie said as she raised her eyebrow as the door opened and Ruby walked into the kitchen. “Ruby, how nice of you to come home” Charlie said unimpressed with her daughter for having stayed out all night.

“What so I can’t even spend the night at my boyfriend’s house now?” Ruby asked

“Not when you’ve got your son to take care of. He should be your main priority now” Charlie answered

“One night mum. I’ve left him for one night and it’s not as if I left him on his own. I left him with you and dad”

“Well it would have been nice to know you weren’t coming home” Charlie said

“I didn’t know I wasn’t” Ruby yelled “It wasn’t planned that I would spend the night. It just happened”

“Ruby, I don’t think you should be spending the night so soon. In fact I don’t think you should be seeing this guy at all” Charlie said

“Oh so we are back to this again” Ruby said as she raised her eyebrows. Charlie sighed heavily as she rubbed her forehead.

“Yes, looks like we are Ruby” Charlie raised her voice as she stood up from the seat.

“Eh Charlie, what did we just talk about” Morag said, stepping into the situation.

Charlie looked down at Morag and sighed lightly. “Fine” Charlie said before taking a deep breath. “Do what you want” Charlie spat

“Someone is in a bad mood this morning” Ruby said as she walked over to the fridge and pulled out the orange juice.

“Maybe that’s because I was up with your screaming baby all night” Charlie retorted

“Oh gosh, I’m sorry” Ruby said “Where is Cal anyway?” Ruby asked

“He’s sleeping” Charlie said

“Still?” Ruby said “Why you letting him sleep this late?” Ruby asked as she looked up to the clock and noticed the time was 10.05”

“Did you not just hear what I said?” Charlie asked “He was up most of the night. He wouldn’t settle. It was around 6 before he eventually went down” Charlie said

“Oh right sorry” Ruby said “Did Angelo not help?”

“Of course he did Rubes, but he had to be at work at 7 so forgive him for wanting some sleep” Charlie said

“Right” Ruby nodded lightly “Well I’m home for Cal now so why don’t you go back to bed for a bit, you could really do with a sleep and I will –“ Ruby stopped talking as her mobile began to ring and she smiled as she saw Jay’s name across the screen. “Hey……yeah…….eh I’ll just ask” Ruby said before she looked up at Charlie.

“No” Charlie said

“What I’ve not even asked anything yet” Ruby said

“What is it Ruby?” Morag asked

“Can you watch Cal tomorrow afternoon? Jay wants to go surfing” Ruby said before giving her mother a pleading look.

“Of course she will” Morag answered and Charlie glared at her. “If you stay in and watch Ben on Saturday night so she can go out with Angelo”

“Oh, but I have plans with Jay on Saturday night” Ruby said

“Mm hmmm” Morag said “And who is going to be looking after Callum then?” Morag asked

“Well I was hoping mum would” Ruby said and Charlie sighed lightly as she shook her head.

“Charlie will watch Callum for you tomorrow, if you stay in and watch Ben on Saturday” Morag said

Ruby stood there in silence for a moment before sighing lightly “Right okay” Ruby said before she put the phone back up to her ear. “Hey, yeah that’s fine for tomorrow……okay…..yup…..sure, bye” Ruby said before she hung up the phone. “Seriously, mum go for a lie down” Ruby said

“No, I need to go do the shopping then pick up Ben from nursery” Charlie said

“I’ll do that” Ruby said

“No, Rubes, you just stay here and take care of your son” Charlie said before she walked out of the room. Ruby looked up to Morag and sighed lightly.

“Well, I will go home then, bye Ruby” Morag said before she too walked out of the room. Once again Ruby let out a sigh before she left the kitchen and walked up the stairs to check on her son.

“Mummy” Ben shouted as he ran across the room and wrapped his little arms around Charlie’s neck, who had bent down as her son came running towards her.

“Hey baby” Charlie said as she welcomed the hug from her son. “What did you do today?”

“Eh I played in the sand box and then in the water one then I drawed a picture” Ben said

“You drew a picture” Charlie repeated and Ben nodded excitedly. “Yeah Miss Brown said it was the bestest one” Ben said as his eyes widened.

“Wow, are you going to let mummy see it?” Charlie said and Ben nodded before he ran across to the table to find his drawing. Charlie stood back up and smiled at the teacher who was walking her way.

“Someone has been in a very good mood today” Miss Brown said as she looked over to Ben who was running back across the room towards them.

“Makes a change then” Charlie laughed lightly.

“Yeah” Miss Brown smiled “These past few weeks he’s really come out his shell and started to interact with the other kids more. He really seems to be enjoying himself here a lot more now”

“That’s great” Charlie smiled as she felt Ben’s little hand tug on hers.

“Mummy I made a new friend today” Ben said “His name is Adam. That’s him there” Ben said as he pointed to a little fair haired boy playing in the sand box”

“That’s good” Charlie smiled down at her son.

“This is what I drawed” Ben said and Charlie once again bent down to her son’s level and took the drawing in her hand.

“Wow Ben that’s really good”

“Yeah. That’s daddy and that’s me” Ben said as he pointed to the two people in the picture. “That’s daddy’s fishing rod and that’s the fish he got” Ben said before looking up at Charlie “It’s a shark” Ben said

“A shark? I hope daddy doesn’t catch a shark” Charlie said

“No cos it might eat us and that wouldn’t be nice” Ben said

“No it wouldn’t” Charlie laughed lightly as she stood up and gently ruffled Ben’s hair. “Right well c’mon lets go meet daddy for lunch”

“Bye Miss Brown” Ben smiled up at his teacher before he ran off down the corridor.

“Bye Ben, see you tomorrow” Miss Brown said before she said bye to Charlie and walked back into the room. Charlie walked down the corridor and Ben took her hand as they walked across the playground before getting into the car.

“Mummy I made a friend at nursery” Ben said

“Yeah, Adam” Charlie said

“Yeah, I like him but not as much as Matthew. He is my best friend but he goes to big school” Ben said as he started swinging his legs back and forth in his seat. “Will I go to big school too one day?”

“Yeah” Charlie answered

“The same one as Matthew and Ava?” Ben asked

“Yeah, the same one” Charlie said

“And Olivia, and Sophie and Emily?” Ben added

“Yup them too” Charlie said

“Cool” Ben said as Charlie parked the car “Mummy can I take my picture into show daddy?” Ben asked as Charlie opened his car door.

“Sure you can” Charlie said before they walked into the Diner.

“Daddy look what I drawed” Ben shouted as he ran up to Angelo and jumped up onto his knee. “It’s me and you and a shark” Ben said as he pointed to the picture.

“Wow” Angelo said “That’s a great picture mate”

“Will you put it on the fridge when we get home?” Ben asked

“Yeah of course we can mate” Angelo said as he ruffled Ben’s hair

Ben smiled before telling Angelo more about his day. “I played in sand box today and with the water one and I made a friend called Adam”

“Sounds like you had fun mate” Angelo said and Ben nodded his head

“Lots and lots” Ben smiled

“What’s gotten into him today?” Angelo asked as he looked up at Charlie.

“I’ve no idea” Charlie laughed lightly “He wouldn’t shut up the whole way here. Guess he’s just in a good mood”

“Yeah” Angelo nodded his head. “So, Ruby appeared home I take it?”

“Yeah, she came home around 10” Charlie said

“And I guess by the look on your face you had words” Angelo said and Charlie nodded as she raised her eyebrows.

“Morag was around at the time and on the plus side she got Ruby to agree to watch Ben on Saturday night” Charlie said

“So we can go out” Angelo smiled and Charlie nodded

“Yeah we can” Charlie smiled as Leah came over to take their order.

“Chocolate ice-cream please” Ben said

“You can have ice-cream but you need to eat something else first” Angelo said

“Cheese sandwich then” Ben said as he looked up at Leah “Oh and chocolate milk please”

Leah wrote down Ben’s order before taking Charlie and Angelo’s before she walked back to the kitchen to make it for them. “So where are you going to take me?” Charlie asked

“I thought we could go up to Reefton Lakes and go to that nice seafood place” Angelo said

“Not seafood” Charlie said as she shook her head “I can’t deal with that right now” Charlie said as she lightly patted her stomach.

“Oh okay, well we can go to the Italian place up there then?” Angelo suggested.

“Yeah, sounds great” Charlie smiled. They ate their lunch before they walked out of the Diner and were walking back to the cars when Charlie noticed two guys, having what looked like a heated discussion on the beach.

“Charlie what are looking at?” Angelo asked

“That guy there is Jay” Charlie said as she pointed down to one of the guys on the beach.

Thank you Cally, Rach Loves H&A, Chester-Sam, charlie29, Sarah, Laura158, Sabrina and Charis for the comments! I hope you like this next one. :)

Chapter 55

“You are not getting any more money. We agreed on an amount and its staying there. I’ve already added two grand extra for this month’s payment and I can’t afford it” Jay said as he rubbed his forehead.

“Well you should have thought about that before you went and -”

“Look mate, what are you doing hassling me anyways. We arranged to meet on Friday. I still have a few days yet”

“See, I’ve been thinking, maybe you don’t. I’m going to the cops. I’m going to tell them what you did” the man said

“I don’t think you can” Jay said as he shook his head “You are in this just as deep as I am now. Taking bribe money for your silence, destroying evidence, keeping quiet for so long about it, withholding vital information from the cops, your an accessory now. I go down for this and you are coming with me” Jay said smugly.

“I could say you were threatening me, my wife, and my kids” the man argued “That I feared for their safety if I went to the Police”

“Aww C’mon. That’s a load of crap” Jay said “They will say they could have offered you protection, but there’s no point getting into this as I know you can’t grass me up. You can’t risk getting yourself in trouble. You have your family to consider”

The man exhaled lightly as Angelo walked down to them. “Is there a problem here guys?”

“No not at all” Jay said

“Just a little family disagreement officer” The man said “Lil bro thinks he is right, I think I’m right. You know how it goes” the man laughed lightly as he walked forward as gently patted Jay’s shoulder. “See you on Friday, mate” the man said before he walked away. Angelo looked down at Jay as he folded his arms.

“Are you sure that’s the truth” Angelo asked and Jay nodded

“Yeah. It is” Jay swallowed before he picked up his board. He looked back up at Angelo and it was only then he noticed the name on his badge.

“Rosetta” Jay said as his eyes widened. “Your Ruby’s dad”

“I am” Angelo said

“Right, well I’m off for a surf but I’m sure I will meet you properly at one point. Things are going great with Ruby” Jay smiled before he ran off towards the ocean. Angelo watched him for a minute before he turned and walked back up the beach, and over to Charlie who was leaning against the car bonnet, waiting on his return.

“It was his brother” Angelo said “So just a sibling argument” Angelo laughed lightly as he looked round into the car at his son. “We’ve seen enough of them”

“You actually believe him” Charlie said

“It’s not as if they would lie is it?” Angelo asked

“No, because people never lie to the cops” Charlie replied as she rolled her eyes.

Angelo exhaled lightly before he rubbed his forehead. “Charlie, I believe them. I don’t think there is anything for you to be worried about with this guy”

“Well you clearly need your head checked” Charlie said “It’s plainly obvious he is up to something, or hiding something or….”

“Okay okay” Angelo said “Why don’t we invite him around for dinner one night and we can talk to him and see what we think of him then” Angelo said

“Sure” Charlie nodded lightly

“And I’m sure Rubes would appreciate that you are showing interest and giving him a chance instead of going off at her all the time about how he is bad news and that hse shouldn’t be seeing him”

“Yeah, hopefully this dinner will let her see that for herself” Charlie said

“Charlie” Angelo sighed

“What?” Charlie shouted

“Will you just let it go” Angelo said and Charlie shook her head before she stood up and got into the car. Angelo sighed before he walked away and over to his car before he drove back to the station. Charlie stayed put in the car and watched Jay as he surfed. She sighed lightly as she rubbed her forehead. What did she really know about him? Should she really judge him after knowing so little? Was Angelo right in saying she shouldn’t be worried about anything?

“Mummy why are we not moving?” Ben asked, interrupting Charlie from her thoughts.

“Sorry baby, I was just thinking” Charlie said as she put her seatbelt on before she turned the engine on.

“Can you drive too. I want to go home” Ben said. Charlie laughed lightly at her son before she reversed out of the parking space and drove them back to the house. Ben ran into the house and through to the kitchen to find Ruby trying to get Callum to eat his lunch. “Hello Ruby” Ben said as he ran up to her.

“Hey, Benny, what’s this you’ve got?” Ruby asked she noticed the paper in his hand.

“My drawing” Ben said “That’s daddy and me and the shark” Ben said

“Wow that’s really good Ben” Ruby said and Ben smiled.

“What’s that?” Ben asked as he looked into the bowl Ruby had in her hands.

“Its baby food for Cal” Ruby said and Ben screwed his face up.

“It looks yucky” Ben said

“I think Cal thinks it does too” Ruby said

“Is he not wanting it?” Ben asked and Ruby shook her head as Charlie walked into the room with the shopping bags “Mummy, Ruby likes my drawing” Ben said. Charlie looked down at her son and smiled as he ran over to the fridge and stretched up to try to reach a fridge magnet. “I can’t reach it” Ben said as he stomped his foot off the ground. Charlie walked up behind him and lifted him up and he lifted up a magnet before putting his drawing against the fridge and putting the magnet on top of it before Charlie put him back down. “I’m going to go play” Ben said before he ran out of the kitchen. Charlie looked round and Ruby who seemed to be struggling with getting Callum to eat his lunch. She put the spoon up to his mouth but Callum kept his lips together and moved his head away.

“I can’t do this” Ruby as she stood up and threw the bowl and spoon down on the kitchen worktop in frustration. She leaned her hands against the worktop as a tear rolled down her cheek.

“Hey, hey Rubes” Charlie said as she walked over to her daughter and placed her hand on her back “What’s wrong?”

“He won’t eat” Ruby said “And he won’t -”

“Rubes, c’mon this isn’t about Callum” Charlie said as she gently started to rub Ruby’s back “what’s wrong?” Charlie asked

“It’s not fair mum, it’s just not fair” Ruby cried. “I miss him so much. Why did he have to die?”

“Aw Rubes” Charlie said as she pulled her daughter into a hug and gently ran her hand through Ruby’s hair. They stood in silence, mostly because Charlie didn’t have an answer for Ruby, she didn’t know what to say.

“I thought after I met Jay it would get easier” Ruby said as she pulled back from the hug. “If anything it’s made it worse. I really like Jay and I want to be with him, but I feel like I am betraying Xav” Ruby said as a tear rolled down her cheek. “And last night we….Xav was the only other person I had done that with and now….” Ruby looked down to the floor as her tears became heavier.

“Oh Ruby. I told you not to rush into anything. You’ve not known him long and it would be your first relationship after Xavier, so it would be hard enough for you to deal with that without taking things so fast. I told you to take your time with this and make sure you were ready, make sure it’s what you want” Charlie said

“I thought you were you only saying that because you don’t like Jay” Ruby said as she looked back up at Charlie.

“Rubes, I would have said that even it was the nicest guy on earth” Charlie said as she gently placed her hand on Ruby’s shoulder. Ruby stared at Charlie as the tears continued to roll down her cheek.

“He knew the situation” Ruby said as she sniffed “But then he…..”

“Rubes, he didn’t force you did he?” Charlie asked hesitantly, with a tone of worry in her voice.

“No” Ruby shook her head “I wanted too. It felt right, at least it did at the time, but now…..” Ruby trailed off as she looked down to the floor and her tears started heavily again.

“Hey” Charlie said as she pulled Ruby back into a hug. “It’s okay” Charlie said as she tightened her grip on Ruby and placed a gently kiss on the top of her head. “Maybe you feeling like this is a sign that you are not ready for this, that you’re not ready to move on from Xav” Charlie said

“But I do like Jay and I want him in my life. He might not wait till I am ready for more than a friendship” Ruby said. Charlie exhaled lightly before biting her lip. She had the perfect opportunity here to tell Ruby to cut all ties with Jay so she didn’t end up hurting herself even more, but seeing the state she was in and how much she liked Jay, she just couldn’t bring herself to tell her that. Charlie took a deep breath before talking.

“If Jay likes you and is a decent guy then he will wait for you” Charlie said. Ruby pulled back and looked up at Charlie.

“You really think so” Ruby said

Charlie exhaled lightly as she nodded her head “Yeah. I do” Charlie said as she wiped the tears away from Ruby’s face.

“Thank you” Ruby said. “I know what you think of him and you could have said other stuff”

“I just want you to be happy Rubes” Charlie said “And if that means having Jay in your life – as a friend or more - then I will accept that…”

“Aw mum” Ruby said as she went to give Charlie another hug, but Charlie pushed Ruby’s arms back.

“If he can prove to me that he is a decent guy. Because Rubes, I don’t have a good feeling about him. But Angelo and I were talking and we think you should invite him around and we can talk to him” Charlie said

“So you can interrogate him you mean” Ruby said talking a few steps back.

“No” Charlie shook her head. “So we can get to know him and then hopefully I will see I was wrong about him”

“Right, well I need to work things out in my mind first, but I’ll let you know soon” Ruby said and Charlie nodded as she gently rubbed Ruby’s arm. Callum’s little squeal from the highchair reminded them he was yet to get his lunch.

“Right mister” Charlie said as she walked over to the highchair and gently rubbed Callum’s head “What we not eating for?” Charlie said as looked down at him. Callum looked at Charlie with his piercing blue eyes and let out a little squeal.

“Maybe something is wrong with him” Ruby said “He wouldn’t sleep last night and now he won’t eat”

“Maybe he wouldn’t sleep because he wanted his mum” Charlie said as she pulled another chair over to the highchair and sat down.

“You think?” Ruby said as she picked up the bowl and spoon from the worktop and took a seat next to the highchair.

“Well he’s been sleeping fine for a while now, and then mum isn’t here to put him to sleep or when he woke up she wasn’t there to comfort him” Charlie said

“Well maybe then” Ruby said as she screwed her face up.

“That or he is cutting a tooth” Charlie said

“That’s probably more likely” Ruby said before she tried once again to put the spoon in Callum’s mouth, but once again he rejected the offer. “Am I trying to give him this stuff to early? The book said 6 months so…”

“Rubes the book is just a guideline, every baby is different” Charlie said

“C’mon Cal” Ruby said “You have to try it” Ruby once again moved the spoon to his mouth but Callum showed no interest in it. Ruby sighed before looking up at Charlie.

“Here” Charlie said as she took the bowl from Ruby and placed it down on the highchair table. Callum looked down at it and studied what was in the bowl for a moment before he moved his hand forward and stuck in it the bowl, covering his hand in the pureed mixture. Charlie put the spoon in his other hand and Callum waved it about in excitement. He stared down and his hand that was covered in the food, before he brought his hand up to his mouth. Charlie stood up and walked over to drawer and picked out another spoon before walking back handing it to Ruby. Ruby looked up at Charlie and Charlie gave a gently nod of her head before Ruby put some of the food onto the spoon and brought it up to Callum’s mouth. This time Callum opened his mouth and accepted the offering of the food.

“Aww who’s a good boy then” Charlie said enthusiastically and Callum smiled as he rocked his body from side to side in excitement. Ruby looked up at Charlie and smiled briefly before the smile quickly fell and Ruby looked down at the floor. “Hey c’mon what’s wrong now Rubes” Charlie said

“I should have known to do something like that” Ruby said “I’m a terrible mother”

“Hey, Rubes you are not a terrible mother. You’re great with Cal, you really are. “You’re just new at this” Charlie said as she gently rubbed Ruby’s back.

“I’m not new. He’s 6 months old. I should know to do stuff like that by now”

“Okay, well you are a first time mum then” Charlie said “Remember what I was like when Ava first came home from the hospital and all the new obstacles of her first year” Charlie said

“You were great with Ava” Ruby said

“Just like you are doing great with Cal” Charlie said

“Not what you said this morning” Ruby said “You said I needed to sort out my priorities and put him first”

“You are Rubes; I was just so tired this morning when you got home. I didn’t mean to take it out on you about Callum”

“You’re right though” Ruby said “I did put Jay before Cal and I shouldn’t do that”

“No” Charlie shook her head “Let’s just not do it again, yeah?” Charlie said and Ruby nodded.

“You should go for a lie down, you still do look awful” Ruby said and Charlie pulled a face at her. “Tired” Ruby added “You still look awfully tired”

“I’m over tired now” Charlie said “I won’t sleep. How about you finish giving this little one his lunch” Charlie said as they looked round at Callum who had once again stuck his hand in the bowl and had somehow managed to get most of the food over the highchair tray. They laughed lightly at him before Ruby put some more food on the spoon and Callum happily accepted. Charlie smiled before she left the room and left Ruby to feed her son.

Thank you so much everyone for you comments. They make me smile loads! :D I hope you all like this next one..... :unsure:

Chapter 56

Angelo walked into the house to find Charlie giving Callum his dinner. She glanced up at him quickly before she looked back down at Callum and put another spoonful of the food in his mouth. “I see Ben’s got his drawing on the fridge already” Angelo laughed as he opened the fridge door and pulled out a bottle of water.

“Yeah” Charlie answered keeping her focus on Callum.

“So where is everyone else? It’s awfully quiet” Angelo said

“Ava’s at Emily’s and Ruby took Ben in the pool” Charlie answered

“Oh, doesn’t Ava have swimming club tonight?” Angelo asked

“Yes, she going from Emily’s” Charlie said

“Oh of course Emily goes to swimming too, doesn’t she” Angelo said but he was met with no reply from Charlie. Angelo sighed lightly as he walked across to the table and next to where Charlie and Callum were. “Charlie are you mad at me?” Angelo asked

Charlie exhaled lightly as she put the spoon into the empty bowl and wiped the excess food around Callum’s mouth with his bib, and then she took it off him before she lifted him out of the highchair “Why would I be mad at you?” Charlie asked as she walked from the kitchen to the living room and placed Callum down in the playpen. He crawled across the floor and picked up two blocks and started to bang them together.

“Well the way we left our conversation this afternoon” Angelo said

“What? You told me to let it go so I did” Charlie sighed

“You are mad at me” Angelo said “You’re being short with me”

“No, I’m not” Charlie said “I’m just....” Charlie exhaled lightly. “I’m so tired; you know I was up with Cal most of last night, Ben’s been in a hyper mood all day and then there’s all the stuff to do in the house, it’s just....it feels like this day has went on forever” Charlie said.

“Oh right, but we’re okay?” Angelo said

“Yes, we are fine” Charlie said “Why are you so worried about that?”

Angelo exhaled as he rubbed his forehead. He took a few steps forward and took Charlie’s hand into his. “Because, there is something I need to tell you and I don’t want you already being mad at me, because I think this could make things a whole lot worse”

Charlie pulled a face in confusion “Angelo what is it?”

Angelo led Charlie across the room to the couch. They sat down and Angelo gently rubbed Charlie’s hand as he looked down towards the floor “Angelo, you’re scaring me, what is it?” Charlie said, with a tone of worry in her voice.

Angelo took a deep breath as he looked back up at Charlie. “I…..Shelly…..” Angelo said hesitantly before pausing. Charlie eyes widened as she pulled her hand away.

“What happened?” Charlie asked and Angelo remained silent as he made eye contact with Charlie. “Well, answer me” Charlie said as she raised her voice.

“She kissed me” Angelo said “But I swear Charlie, I didn’t kiss her back. I pushed her away and told her to leave as soon as it happened” Charlie sat there in silence, as she looked down to the floor. She rubbed her forehead as she pursed her lips together. Angelo tentatively put an arm around Charlie. “Charlie, you do believe me, don’t you? I never wanted it to happen, I didn’t kiss her back”

“What were you even doing with her in the first place?” Charlie asked as she looked up at Angelo.

“She came into the station” Angelo said “She just threw herself at me. I pushed her away and told her I wasn’t interest in her and that I never would be. I swear Charlie, I didn’t kiss her back. I didn’t ask for it. I didn’t want it to happen” Angelo said as he felt his eyes getting teary. Charlie looked up at Angelo and could see he was telling the truth. “Charlie please….”

“It’s okay, I believe you” Charlie said before she exhaled lightly. “I thought she was out of our life. I thought she wasn’t going to cause us anymore hassle. It’s been over a month since we last saw her. Why wait so long to do anything else” Charlie said

“I don’t know. But Charlie, what I do know is that nothing else is ever going to happen between me and Shelly. I don’t want to have anything to do with her. You can trust me on that one” Angelo said

“I know and….” Charlie trailed off before she took a deep breath “I know you wouldn’t ever do anything like that to me again and……I trust you Angelo, I do trust you” Charlie said and Angelo smiled as he moved Charlie’s hair behind her ear. “And thank you for telling me. You could have easily kept quiet about it”

Angelo shook his head “I had to tell you. I’m not going to keep anything from you Charlie” Angelo said and Charlie smiled lightly before she let out a yawn. “You should go for a lie down, you looked exhausted”

“No” Charlie shook her head “I may as well stay up now otherwise I will wake up through the night” Charlie said

“Okay, well you sit there and take it easy, I will do what needs to be done here” Angelo said as he wrapped his arm around her and she leaned her head against his chest. He placed a kiss on the top of her head as he gently rubbed her arm.

“Daddy, Mummy, Ruby had me in the pool” Ben said excitedly as he ran into the room, followed by Ruby.

“Cool mate, did you have fun?” Angelo said and Ben nodded.

“Yeah so much” Ben said as he jumped up and down “Daddy can we play soccer now?”

“Soccer” Charlie said “Aren’t you tired after all that swimming?” Charlie asked as she pulled Ben closer to her.

“No” Ben said “I could play all night. Daddy can we play”

“I can’t just now mate, I need to help mummy in the house” Angelo said

“Please daddy” Ben said as he sulked

“Benny I can’t -”

“Angelo go and play with Ben. Rubes will help here” Charlie said

“Are you sure?” Angelo asked

“Yes” Charlie nodded.

“C’mon then mate” Angelo said as he gestured for Ben to move.

“Yey daddy” Ben cheered before he ran out of the room and Angelo followed.

“You were supposed to tire him out” Charlie said

“Sorry, I tried, he is so wound up today though” Ruby laughed as she picked Callum up out of the playpen.

“Yeah I noticed” Charlie said. “Now, C’mon you can help me make the dinner” Charlie as she stood up from the couch as they walked through to the kitchen.

“Mum can you help me with my homework?” Ava asked as she ran into the house and dropped her swimming bag down on the floor.

“What have you got to do?” Charlie asked

“Its maths” Ava sighed

“Well I need to go put Ben to bed first, so you get started and then I will come down and see how you are doing okay” Charlie said

“But I want you to sit with me” Ava said

“But its mummy’s time to read me a story” Ben said as he pushed Ava out of the way and took Charlie’s hand.

“Don’t push me” Ava said as she pushed Ben back.

“Hey, stop it” Charlie said “Ava I am reading Ben his story first, and then I will help you with your homework”

“But mum” Ava moaned

“Hey, Ava I will help you with your homework” Angelo said “We both know how bad mummy is at maths” Angelo laughed

“She can do my maths” Ava said “But okay daddy you can help me” Ava ran off to the table and got her books out of her school bag. Ben said goodnight to Angelo before he ran off up the stairs with Charlie following. Angelo walked over to the table and just as he was about to sit down next to Ava the doorbell went.

“I’ll just be a minute Ava” Angelo said before he went to answer the door. “Morag, hey” Angelo said as he saw her standing at the other side. “Charlie’s just putting Ben to bed, but if you want to come in -”

“It’s actually you that I have came to see” Morag said

“Oh” Angelo said sounding rather surprised “Ehm, come in then” Angelo said as he gestured for Morag to come into the house.

“Eh, can we talk somewhere more private” Morag said as she noticed Ava and Ruby were in sight.

“Sure” Angelo said he walked outside. They took a seat on the porch and remained silent for a moment, before Morag spoke.

“So, I need your help with something” Morag said

“My help?” Angelo questioned

“Yes, that’s what I said” Morag said

“What is it you need help with?” Angelo asked

“I’ve been doing some research” Morag paused as she opened her handbag and brought out some files.

“What kind of research?” Angelo asked

“Before I tell you this, I want you to promise me something” Morag said

“Sure, what?” Angelo asked

“I don’t want you telling Charlie any of this” Morag said

“Whoa Morag, stop right there then. I’m not keeping anything from Charlie. You can’t ask me to keep something from her” Angelo said

“Angelo, Charlie doesn’t need to know this” Morag said “You tell Charlie and she will tell Ruby and I don’t need them getting their hopes up until I get something that will count, something that will help the case” Morag said

“Morag what are you doing?” Angelo asked

“I’ll tell you if you promise not to tell Charlie” Morag said

“No” Angelo said “I won’t promise you that”

“Angelo” Morag sighed

“Is this some kind of test or something? You tell me you are doing something to help her and Ruby and then I don’t tell her and its means I have hurt her again and you are right” Angelo said

“Do you think I would really do that to Charlie? That I would work something up to get you to hurt her again? That I purposely see to it that you would do that? You think I would ruin Charlie’s happiness?” Morag said

“Well you were never happy that she took me back” Angelo said “Maybe you are trying to split up us again”

“Oh Angelo don’t be so ridiculous” Morag said “Now will you help me or not”

“Yes, but you have to know that don’t want to keep anything from Charlie” Angelo said and Morag sighed lightly.

“Very well. You can tell Charlie. But do not let her tell Ruby, I don’t want her getting her hopes up” Morag said and Angelo nodded understandingly.

“Okay, so what is it you are doing?” Angelo asked

“I will tell you” Morag said “But I would love a coffee first” Morag said and Angelo nodded before he stood up. “Okay, I will be right back then” Angelo said before he disappeared into the house.

“Daddy, are you ready to help with my homework now” Ava said “There is just one I am stuck on” Ava said

“Sorry, I need to talk with your Granny right now” Angelo said “Maybe Rubes can help” Angelo said as he looked up at Ruby.

“Yeah sure” Ruby said as she stood up from the couch and walked over to the table.

“This one. I don’t know what to do” Ava said as she pointed to the sheet and Ruby looked down at it as she nodded her head. Angelo walked through to the kitchen and made Morag a coffee before he walked back outside.

“Ava pay attention” Ruby said

“I don’t get it” Ava said

“Well listen, Ava, I am trying to tell you what to do” Ruby said softly as she placed her hand on Ava’s back.

“But that’s different to what the teacher said” Ava moaned

“But you still get the same answer” Ruby said

“But it’s not how I know it” Ava shouted

“Hey, don’t shout” Ruby said

“Just go away” Ava said as she pushed Ruby, who grabbed onto the table to stop herself falling off the seat.

“Hey, don’t do that” Ruby said

“Well then leave me” Ava shouted as she jumped down from the chair and ran up the stairs. Ruby sighed lightly before she walked back to couch and continued to watch the TV.

“Right” Angelo said as he stood up from the seat and put his hand on the door. “I’ll see what I can do for you”

“Thank you” Morag said “I’m going back into the city this weekend, so hopefully I will get something”

“Yeah” Angelo nodded “Well see you when you get back then. Goodnight Morag”

“Goodnight” Morag said as she handed Angelo her coffee cup before she walked back to her car and drove off home. Angelo walked back into the house and put the cup down in the sink before walking into the living room to see how Ava was getting on with her homework.

“Where did Ava go?” Angelo asked as he noticed she was no longer in the room.

“She wouldn’t let me help her. She ran off up the stairs” Ruby answered

“Right. Where is Charlie?” Angelo asked

“Putting Ben to bed” Ruby answered

“Still?” Angelo questioned and Ruby nodded. Angelo exhaled lightly before he walked across the room and ran up the stairs and into Ben’s room. He smiled as he found Charlie lying fast asleep on top of Ben’s bed, with her arm wrapped over a sound asleep Ben, and the book lying open on the floor. He bent down and gently moved her hair away from in front of her face and placed a soft kiss on her temple. He gently picked her up and Charlie stirred slightly. “Shhh, just go back to sleep baby” Angelo said as he walked out of the room and across the hall and kicked open their bedroom door before laying Charlie down on the bed. “Good job Peanut is still small, or I might not have been able to do that so easily” Angelo said as he gently ran his hand over Charlie’s bump. He pulled the covers over her before placing another kiss on her forehead. “Sleep tight baby” Angelo said before he walked out of the room, closing the door behind him.

Thanks everyone. :D I hope you like this next part. :unsure:

Chapter 57

Charlie walked into Ruby’s room and smiled as she saw Callum sitting in the middle of the bed playing with the small bear that was in his hands. As Callum saw Charlie he babbled excitedly and started waving his arms out. He then crawled across the bed and Charlie lifted him into her arms and gave him a hug. “Morning” Charlie said as she watched Ruby, slightly puzzled at seeing her packing some clothes into the bag.

“Hey, you’re awake” Ruby smiled up at her mother “You had a good sleep then”

“Yeah” Charlie laughed lightly “Best sleep I’ve had in ages”

“I should think so; you’ve been asleep almost 14 hours” Ruby laughed as she walked over to the drawer and started to pull out some of Callum’s clothes.

“What are you doing?” Charlie asked

“Oh, Cal and I are going into the city for a few days to stay with Gina” Ruby said as she folded one of Callum’s t-shirts into the bag.

“Oh” Charlie said, surprised at the news. “Since when?”

“Since 10 minutes ago” Ruby answered “I called Gina this morning and she said she would love it if we went for a visit. She doesn’t see Cal much and he is her Grandson you know, and I think we will go to Xav’s grave because I’ve not really been there in a while and....” Ruby paused as she took her necklace in her hand gently rubbed Xavier’s ring. Charlie took a few steps closer to Ruby and placed her hand onto Ruby’s shoulder. “I’m okay” Ruby said as she took a deep breath, before she finished packing away some of their clothes.

“So I guess you cancelled on Jay today” Charlie said tentatively

"Yeah I did” Ruby answered. “Hopefully being away from here will give me some space to think about what I want with him. Show me if I am ready for this” Ruby said

“Maybe the fact you think need think about it, shows you’re not ready” Charlie said

“Maybe, but I know I like Jay and want him in my life” Ruby said “I just don’t know what as…..I’m just…” Ruby sighed lightly as she zipped the bag shut and took a seat on her bed. Charlie sat down next to her and sat Callum down on her knee.

“Don’t rush this Rubes” Charlie said as she ran her hand through her daughter’s hair, while keeping Callum balanced on her knee with her other. “When you are ready you will know”

“I know” Ruby smiled before looking down at her watch “Should probably get going soon. Told Gina we would arrive before lunch” Ruby said.

“Just go and have a good few days, Rubes, don’t worry about Jay too much” Charlie said

“I’ll try not to. I will be back on Saturday morning so you can still get your night out with Angelo” Ruby said

“Oh don’t worry about that Rubes” Charlie said “We can go out another time, just go spend some time with Gina and just take it easy”

“No no, I said I would babysit for you and I am going to. You and dad deserve a night out, so I will be back in time to watch Ben” Ruby said

“Okay” Charlie smiled “If you’re sure”

“Yeah, I am, as long as you make sure he is out of that hyper mood” Ruby laughed

“By Saturday? God, I hope he is” Charlie said as they walked out of the room, down the stairs and out of the house. Charlie opened the car door and strapped Callum into the car seat as Ruby put the buggy, the bag of clothes and the bag of nappies, bottles and baby food into the boot of the car.

“Bye bye baby” Charlie cooed as she gently tickled Callum’s chin as he let out a little laugh. She placed a kiss on his forehead before closing the door and saying bye to Ruby before she drove off to the city. Charlie walked back into the house and made herself some breakfast. She sat down at the table and was about to eat when Angelo walked into the house.

“Hey, you’re awake” Angelo smiled as he walked into the kitchen and up to Charlie.

“Observant” Charlie grinned and Angelo pulled a face at her. “Where have you been anyways?” Charlie said

“Taking the kids to school” Angelo said as he sat down next to Charlie.

“And it takes you this long?” Charlie asked as she looked up at the clock reading 9.55am as the time. “School starts at 9. It takes 15 minutes to drive back from there. What happened to the other 40?” Charlie asked

“Ehm, I went to see Morag” Angelo said

“Morag? Seriously, you went to see Morag?” Charlie asked

“I did, I swear” Angelo said “She came round last night when you were sleeping. She’s been....” Angelo trailed off as he ran his hand across of the edge of the table.

“She’s been what, Angelo?”

“She has been doing some research….” Angelo once again trailed off before he cleared his throat. “She’s been trying to find out more on Xavier’s death, for Rubes and I guess for Gina and you and well all of his family” Angelo said before he looked up at Charlie.

“Really” Charlie said, sounding rather surprised “Why hasn’t she said anything?”

“She doesn’t want you getting your hopes up that someone will be caught for this” Angelo said

“Angelo, I know what these situations are like. I know it’s highly unlikely we are going to find this person now” Charlie answered

“Yeah I know you do. I think it’s more so for Ruby getting her hopes up” Angelo said and Charlie nodded understandingly.

“How long has she been doing this for?” Charlie asked

Angelo shook his head “Weeks….months….I’m not sure really. She is going into the city again this weekend to follow up on something” Angelo said

“So she thinks she might have found something?” Charlie said hopingly.

“I’m not sure. She just said she was going into the city this weekend” Angelo answered

“Oh right. Well at least that explains all her trips to the city lately” Charlie said

“Yeah” Angelo nodded “I think she is going to come round to see us when she gets back, but she didn’t really want me telling you this in case you told Ruby, but I promised her you wouldn’t do that”

“I won’t tell Ruby” Charlie said “She doesn’t need to get her hopes up on this right now. She’s got enough to deal with right now with this Jay stuff and she’s not coping as well as I thought she was over Xavier’s death either so telling her what Morag’s up to could make it all even worse for her”

“Not coping as well….has something happened?” Angelo asked

Charlie shook her head “No….well just stuff she spoke about yesterday” Charlie said

“Oh right, anything I could help out with?” Angelo asked

“No, its fine” Charlie said “There’s not really much we can do, is there? We can only be support for her and listen when she wants to talk about things”

“Eh yeah, I guess. So did you not get a chance to speak to her about Jay?” Angelo asked

“I did, but I don’t think the dinner will be happening any time soon. She’s a bit….” Charlie trailed off “Well let’s just say she is having second thoughts about him at the moment”

“Right” Angelo nodded “Where is Rubes anyways?”

“She went into the city for a few days to see Gina”

“Oh right, so she’s not going to be here to watch Ben on Saturday night?”

“She is, she is coming back on Saturday morning” Charlie answered as she stood up from the table and took her breakfast dishes across the room and placed them down in the sink.

“Oh okay then” Angelo smiled “So now you don’t have Callum to look after today, what are you planning on doing?”

“I’m going to go shopping” Charlie said

“Shopping” Angelo pulled a face “Didn’t you just do a food shop yesterday?”

“I’m not talking about a food shop. I’m going clothes shopping”

“Clothes shopping” Angelo sighed “Charlie you have loads of clothes”

“Yes, and I also have an ever expanding bump, so I need to buy some clothes that actually fit me” Charlie said

“But it’s my first day off in ages” Angelo argued. “I don’t want to spend it trailing around clothes shop”

“Well that’s your fault. You are in charge, you write up the roster, you could have given yourself days off” Charlie said

“But Avery and Smith are both off sick and Georgie is only just back from a holiday, so we’ve been a little short lately” Angelo said “So do I want to spend my day off in the shops, not really”

“Please come” Charlie pouted as she wrapped her arms around Angelo’s waist “We can buy clothes and stuff for the baby too” Angelo sighed lightly before nodding his head.

“If we are buying stuff for the baby, I’d loved to come. And I do get to spend time with you” Angelo smiled as he tucked Charlie’s hair behind her ear.

“Good” Charlie smiled “And we only have a couple of hours until Ben finishes nursery anyways” Charlie said “So after lunch we can do something you want”

“Sure” Angelo smiled before he placed a gently kiss on Charlie’s lips. Charlie pulled back and walked across to the table and picked up her bag off one of the chairs.

“Let’s go then” Charlie smiled as she looked back up at Angelo. “Oh and don’t forget your wallet”

Angelo picked up yet another little outfit and put it in the basket. “Oh and this is so cute” Angelo said as he picked up a little sun dress with matching sun hut. Charlie smiled as she watched Angelo looking at all the baby clothes.

“You seem to be enjoying this whole shopping thing a lot more now” Charlie laughed

“Yeah, she’s going to be the best dressed baby in the bay” Angelo smiled as he placed another item of clothing into the basket.

“You know you don’t need to take one of everything” Charlie said

“She’s needs clothes Charlie” Angelo answered “Oh I can’t wait to meet her” Angelo smiled as he placed his hand over Charlie’s bump.

“So you are okay with her being a girl now then” Charlie asked

“Of course. I got over that quickly” Angelo said “All that matters is we are having another baby”

Charlie smiled as she gently nodded her head. She placed her hand on top of Angelo’s and the baby let out a kick. “Oh someone is awake” Charlie said as Angelo smiled, amazed at the feeling of his daughter kicking.

“Hey, let’s go pick a pram” Angelo said as he took hold of Charlie’s wrist and led her across the shop to the area where the prams where out on display.

“Actually, I was thinking of just using the pram that’s sitting in the garage” Charlie said and Angelo’s eyes widened.

“Charlie” Angelo said sounding shocked at her suggestion. “Our baby girl will not use a second hand pram”

“Why not?” Charlie asked “It’s practically new. Rubes only used it for like 5 months before she stared using that buggy she has now”

“I want the best for our baby girl and that means a new pram” Angelo said as he pulled out one of the prams, to test it out.

“I don’t see why we need to waste money on a pram when there is a perfectly good one at home” Charlie sighed

“How is it wasting money?” Angelo asked “The baby needs a pram”

“Yeah and there is a perfectly good one at home” Charlie argued

“Fine we will use Cal’s old pram” Angelo said as the pushed he pram back into the line before walking off. “Put all these clothes back as well will we? She can just wear all of his clothes too” Angelo spat as he walked away from Charlie, back into the direction of the girls clothes.

“Angelo” Charlie said as she quickened her pace to catch up with him “Will you stop” Charlie said as she placed her hand on his arm. Angelo stopped walking as he turned to face Charlie and exhaled lightly. “Why are you getting so worked up over this? What’s going on?” Charlie asked. Angelo sighed as he bowed his head down. “Angelo, talk to me”

“Sorry” Angelo said as he looked back up at Charlie “I just, this is all I can do Charlie....I can’t feel what you are experiencing, you get to carry the baby, you get to feel her moving inside you and you have that connection with her right away, for me, I can’t do anything until after she is born. Even the morning sickness, and back pain and the way you feel, you know even all the bad stuff you have to go through, I can’t even experience that, so picking out the clothes, decorating the nursery, picking a pram, a car seat, that kinda stuff, it’s all I can do to make myself feel a part of this pregnancy. Doing this stuff, it makes me feel more involved Charlie” Angelo said sadly. Charlie exhaled lightly before she bit her lip as a tear rolled down her cheek. “Charlie, I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to make you cry” Angelo said as he stepped forward and gently put his hand on her arm.

“I’m sorry” Charlie said as she wiped the tear from her cheek.

“No Charlie, don’t. You’ve got nothing to be sorry about” Angelo said “It’s just that it’s only the 2nd time I’ve been here for this. It’s still all new to me and I want to do as much as I can and doing this kind of stuff, it’s a way for me feel more involved in this and help you as much as I can”

“You can help me” Charlie said as another tear rolled down her cheek. “You can rub my back and massage my feet and I need you there to say the stupid things to me when I’m in labour”

“What stupid things?” Angelo asked

“Like you’re doing great and you’re almost there and you say one more push much more than once, and I know you are just trying to help me and be sweet and lovely, but they really are stupid but I still need you Angelo, I need you to be there and say those things” Charlie stopped talking as the tears began streaming down her face.

“Aww Charlie” Angelo said as he pulled her closer to him and into a hug and gently rubbed her back. “Of course I’ll be there” They stood in the embrace for a moment in silence before Charlie pulled back and wiped the tears from her face.

“And you know Angelo you can talk to her, and you can read to her, and tell her things, or you could sing to her, well actually no don’t sing to her because she doesn’t deserve to hear that...”

“Oi” Angelo said as he lightly hit Charlie across the arm. Charlie laughed lightly as she looked up at Angelo.

“Seriously, Angelo, I’m sorry if you didn’t feel involved and believe me, if there was a way for you to carry the baby then I would gladly pass that over to you” Charlie said. Angelo laughed lightly before he tucked Charlie’s hair behind her ear.

“I love you Charlie, hormonal pregnant you” Angelo smiled before he wrapped his arms around her waist and kissed her softly.

Thank you so much Charis, Sarah, Cally, Barbara, Rach Loves H&A and freckleface for commenting. They make me smile and really keep me going. So, here is the next part. I'm not so sure about it, so let me know what you think! :)

Chapter 58

Charlie pulled back from the kiss and looked into Angelo’s eyes as she smiled “You’re not so bad yourself” Charlie said

“You know, that’s not usually the response you are supposed to say if someone tells them they love you” Angelo said

“Well it’s the only one you’re getting” Charlie teased as she took Angelo’s hand into hers. “Now c’mon, let’s go pick that pram” Charlie said

“Yeah?” Angelo said as he looked round at Charlie “I thought you wanted to use Cal’s old one?”

“Well I can see that it’s important to you to buy a new one, so I think we should” Charlie said and Angelo smiled as he gave Charlie a light nod of the head before they walked over to the prams. Angelo looked at them and pulled one out of the line and started to push it back and forward.

“What are you doing?” Charlie asked, bemused with her husband.

“Testing out the pram” Angelo said, as if stating out the obvious. “No, I don’t like the feel of that one” Angelo said as he pushed it back into placed and pulled out another pram, before quickly dismissing that one too.

“Angelo” Charlie sighed

“What? Charlie, I want to make sure we have the right one” Angelo said. Charlie sighed lightly before she stood and watched as Angelo pulled out another pram before once again pushing that back into the line. He looked up and down the row of prams that lined the back wall of the shop and exhaled lightly. He took a few steps further down the line and placed his hands on yet another pram.

“This is the one” Angelo said as he pulled out the red pram and looked up at Charlie, as if to seek approval on his choice.

“Great” Charlie said, thankful that he had finally made a choice.

“Yeah and look you get a matching nappy bag” Angelo said as he pointed to the bag hanging over the handles. Charlie couldn’t help but smile at her husband enthusiasm, and was about to reply when a sales assistant walked up to them and offered her help. “Yeah, we’d like to take this one” Angelo said

“Okay, I can get that for you” The lady smiled “Is there anything else I can get for you?”

“We need a car seat” Angelo said “Oh and one of those bouncy chair things, we should get one of them” Angelo once again looked up at Charlie who nodded lightly at him.

“Okay” the assistant said “Well we actually have those in the same style as this pram, so you can take the matching set”

“Oh yeah, that’s great” Angelo said

“And are we sorted for a highchair?” The lady asked and Angelo went to reply, but Charlie spoke over him.

“I think this is enough for today, Angelo” Charlie said as she looked down at the basket in Angelo’s hand that was overflowing with clothes, blankets, bibs, and a couple of stuffed animals. “And if you take as long to pick a highchair as you did to pick a pram we will be late for picking up Ben from nursery”

Angelo looked down at his watch and exhaled lightly “Gosh, is it that time already” Angelo mumbled.

“Yeah” Charlie nodded “and anyways we won’t need a highchair till months after she is born”

“Yeah, I guess not” Angelo agreed “We’ll leave the highchair for today thanks, and we’ll just take the pram set” Angelo said as he looked back up at the sales assistant.

“Right, well I will just go and get that for you. If you want to head to the till and I will bring them across” The lady said and Angelo nodded before he and Charlie walked across the shop in the direction of the tills.

Ruby pulled up into the driveway to find Gina standing at the end of the path eagerly waiting for them. She smiled at her from inside the car before she turned off the engine and stepped outside. “Hey, how are you?” Gina smiled as she stepped forward and pulled Ruby into a hug.

“I’m alright thanks, how are you?” Ruby asked as she wrapped her arms around Gina, returning the hug.

“Oh, I’m okay” Gina said “And how’s the little one?” Gina asked as she walked around to the other side of the car and opened the door, before un-strapping Callum and lifting him into her arms.

“He’s good” Ruby smiled as she opened the car boot and lifted out the bags.

“My, he’s grown since I last saw him” Gina said as she looked at her grandson. Callum looked at Gina, studying her face with his big, blue eyes. “Granny’s going to spoil you these next few days” Gina said as she lightly tickled Callum’s underarm, resulting in Callum letting out a laugh. Ruby smiled as she watched Gina interact with Callum. “So how long are you planning on staying for?” Gina asked as she looked up at Ruby.

“I’ve just got here and your asking about us leaving” Ruby said “Are you sure it’s okay for us to be here?”

“Oh of course it is. I didn’t mean it in that way at all. Stay as long as you want, you’ll always be welcome here” Gina smiled as they walked into the house.

“Well I said I would babysit for mum and dad on Saturday night, so I guess I will leave on Saturday” Ruby said and Gina nodded as they sat down on the couch.

“Right and this is....what day?” Gina asked

“It’s Thursday” Ruby answered

“Oh so we have a few days” Gina smiled “How is your mum doing anyways?”

“Good” Ruby smiled “She had a tough few months, but, they are getting there. And the morning sickness seems to have finally calmed down for her, so that’s good. She was having a bad enough time of it with her marriage kinda breaking down, so she didn’t really need all that as well”

“Oh but it’s worth it” Gina smiled as she once again tickled Callum who giggled happily on her knee. “But I’m glad her and Angelo have got things sorted”

“Yeah me too” Ruby smiled

“He looks so much like Xavier” Gina said as she looked down at Callum “It’s like I’m 24 years back in time holding baby Xavier”

“I know” Ruby smiled as she gently stroked her son’s head “It was difficult at first, the fact he looked so much like him, it was hard for me to look at him” Ruby paused as she played with her wedding ring. “But now, it’s such a blessing. It’s like he is with me every day. I just need to look at Cal, and I see him” Ruby said

“You’re lucky to have that” Gina said “I have photos, I have memories, they’ll never fade, but for you to have Cal...” Gina stopped talking as she looked down to the floor and let a tear roll down her cheek.

“Hey, hey” Ruby said as she took Callum from her and placed him down on floor. She moved closer to Gina and she gently rubbed her back. “You’ll always have Callum too. He’s always going to be in your life” Ruby said and Gina nodded as she wiped the tear from her face.

“I don’t see him as much as I want too” Gina said as she looked up at Ruby. “Between my work and you living in the Bay it...”

“Gina, I will visit more. There’s no reason why I shouldn’t. And Cal should get to know his Granny” Ruby said as they looked down to Callum who was crawling along the floor to where Ruby had put the bags. He stopped next to them and put his hand onto the bag. “I think someone is trying to tell me it’s his lunch time” Ruby laughed

“I’ll get that sorted” Gina said as she stood up and walked over to her Grandson and picked him up before she picked up the bag and made her way to the kitchen. She prepared the food for Callum as Ruby strapped him into the highchair before she walked over to the fridge and took the carton of orange juice out and poured herself a glass. “So anything new happening for you back home?” Gina asked as she walked over to the highchair and took a seat, before beginning to feed Callum.

“Eh” Ruby said as she took a drink of her juice to delay a response. “No, nothing really. Just living quietly” Ruby said as she walked over to the table and took a seat next to Gina, having decided not to mention anything about Jay to her. “I think I might look for a job” Ruby said “I mean, mum and Angelo have been great in helping me but I really do need to start making my own money and paying for things for myself, especially for Cal”

“Right” Gina nodded “Have you ever considered moving back here? Maybe you could go back to uni to finish off your course”

“But then that doesn’t get me any money” Ruby said

“No, but you will have better qualifications” Gina said “And you could always get a part time job to make some money. And you could live here with me, there’s plenty room”

“But between uni and a part time job I would hardly get to spend time with Cal” Ruby argued

“Okay, well you could always move back here anyways. There will be much more job opportunities here in the city than there will be in the bay”

“Yeah, I guess there will be” Ruby agreed “Well, I will think about it”

“Good” Gina smiled. “Would you like to come and live with Granny?” Gina cooed as she lifted Callum out of the highchair and he babbled happily in her arms. “I think that’s a yes” Gina smiled as she looked down at Ruby. Ruby smiled lightly at Gina before she bit her lip. Maybe Gina was right. Maybe Ruby should go back to uni and finish her course, which she dropped out of when she and Xavier decided to have Callum. Or maybe she would be able to get a better job if she were to look in the city. She sighed heavily before she stood up from the chair and took her son into her arms.

“C’mon little man. It’s time for your nap” Ruby said. She let out another sigh as she walked out of the kitchen and headed for the bedroom. She had left the bay for a few days to try and work out what she wanted with Jay, but now, thanks to Gina, she had even more thinking to do.

“So, I was thinking about making a start to painting Peanut’s room” Angelo said as he pulled the car out of the car park and began to make his way along the road.

“Right” Charlie said “You have any colours in mind?”

“Eh I thought maybe yellow, or green. You can paint a baby girl’s room green, right?”

“Yeah, I don’t see why not” Charlie said

“Or maybe we should stick with the old pink for a girl” Angelo said “But not like pink, pink, like Ava’s room, that’s just a bit too pink for my liking” Angelo said

“Right” Charlie said as she pulled a face “So pink but not pink”

“Well pink, just not Ava pink” Angelo said “Oh and I was thinking I could get the kids to help me. It would be fun painting a room with them and it’ll help them feel more involved too”

“Yeah, I’m sure they would love that” Charlie said

“We can stop in at the store on the way home then” Angelo smiled “Oh and we need a theme too”

“A theme” Charlie repeated “What kind of theme do you want?”

“I don’t know. Like fairies or princesses or animals or Winnie the Pooh or...” Angelo trailed off “Something like that. What do you think?”

“Ehm, any sound great, Angelo. Why don’t you decide, you know, the decorating of the room can be your little project” Charlie said

“Yeah. I’d love that” Angelo smiled as he briefly looked round at Charlie.

“Angelo stop” Charlie yelled and Angelo looked back up to the windscreen and saw the car coming speeding towards them on their side of the road. Angelo slammed on the brakes as he tried to stop in time, as the other car swerved, but it was too late. The cars crashed into each other with the driver’s side taking most of the impact. “Angelo” Charlie screamed as she turned her head to face him. His head was resting against the steering wheel, the blood dripping down the side of his face. “Angelo” Charlie screamed once more as she placed her shaking hand onto his shoulder. “Oh God, Angelo, talk to me” Charlie yelled, but once again, there was no response.

Thank you Cally, Charis, Rach loves H&A, Sarah and Sabrina for your lovely comments. I hope you like this next part. I am not so sure about it. :unsure:

Chapter 60

The paramedic opened the door and knelt down next to Charlie. He looked over at Angelo before looking back at Charlie. “My husband” Charlie said in a panic “you have to help him. He not conscious”

“My colleague is going to help your husband” the man said calmly hoping to get Charlie to calm down.

“No you all need to help him. You need to help him first, he’s not conscious” Charlie cried

“Mam, please, I need you to try to stay calm okay, for you and for your baby” The paramedic said and Charlie nodded lightly before looking back around at Angelo who was being looked at by another paramedic. “Can you tell me your name?”

“Charlie....I’m Charlie” Charlie answered as she looked back round at the man, her whole body trembling.

“Charlie, I’m Steve and I’m going to be looking after you right now okay” Steve said and Charlie nodded lightly. “Okay Charlie, and can you tell me your husband’s name?”

“Angelo” Charlie said which brought the other paramedic to begin to talk to him, and try to get a response. Charlie placed her hand onto her lower stomach as she winced. “It hurts” Charlie said

“Right, Charlie, I’m going to get you to the hospital. Can you step out of the car for me?” Steve said and Charlie looked round at Angelo, who was being lifted out of the car and put onto a stretcher. “Charlie” Steve said again and Charlie turned and stepped out of the car.

“I’m bleeding” Charlie panicked as she put her hand between her legs. “Oh God, I’m bleeding” Charlie cried

“Charlie, I need you to stay calm” Steve said. “Look at me Charlie” Charlie stopped walking and looked up at Steve. “I’m going to take you to the hospital and get you and your baby checked over” Steve said before he helped Charlie into the back of the ambulance and sat her down on the chair.

“Angelo” Charlie cried “Where did he go? Please tell me he is going to be okay”

“He’s in the other van” Steve said “My -”

“You have to tell me he is going to be okay” Charlie cried frantically.

“My colleagues are going to do the best they can” Steve replied as the ambulance van started to drive away. “They will get him to the hospital as quick as possible” Charlie pressed her hand against her stomach as the pain was getting worse. “Is this your first baby?” Steve asked

“No” Charlie shook her head “My 4th”

“4 kids” Steve repeated and Charlie nodded “Do you know what you are having?” Steve asked

“A contraction, Oh God, I’m having a contraction” Charlie said as she squeezed Steve hand till it passed.

“Charlie, how far on are you?” Steve asked

“Ehm...I’m...five and a half months” Charlie answered “It’s far too early, don’t let me lose her” Charlie cried as she clung onto Steve.

“I’m going to try my best to make sure that doesn’t happen, we are almost at the hospital, okay, and the doctors there will look after you” Charlie nodded as Steve spoke to her.

“Ben” Charlie shouted “We were on our way to pick him up from nursery. He will be waiting for us”

“Is Ben your son?” Steve asked, trying to distract her by asking her questions.

“Yeah” Charlie nodded

“Okay, is there any grandparents or aunts, uncles, a friend that we can get in touch with to pick him up for you?”

“Eh…Morag” Charlie answered “My step mum, she will get him” Charlie winced as she rubbed her stomach.

“Okay, well we will get her called for you once we get you in the hospital” Steve said

“Her number….my phone…it’s in the car” Charlie panicked

“That’s okay, we will get her called” Steve said as the ambulance came to a stop and the doors opened and Charlie saw Rachel and a couple of nurses waiting on her arrival. Steve helped her out and onto the wheelchair.

“Rachel….Angelo……he was…where is he” Charlie cried

“He’s here” Rachel said as she placed a reassuring hand on Charlie’s shoulder. “Dr Walker is looking after him”

“I need to see him. I need to go see him” Charlie cried as she tried to stand up from the chair.

“Charlie, you need to let us help you first” Rachel said as she held her down, to keep her in the chair. “You can see Angelo as soon as possible after you have both been checked over” Charlie nodded understandingly.

“You need to phone Morag and tell her to pick up Ben” Charlie said “He will be upset, he will think we have forgotten about him”

“Okay, we’ll get that sorted right away” Rachel said as she looked up to one of the nurses, who then made her way back into the hospital. “Now let’s get you and this baby checked over”

“I had a contraction” Charlie cried “Please stop this Rachel”

“I know, that’s what I am hopefully going to do” Rachel mumbled as she wheeled Charlie into the hospital.

“Was I in an accident?” Angelo asked, for about the 4th time, as Sid treated the cut on Angelo’s brow.

“Yes, Angelo, you were in a car accident” Sid answered

“Oh my God, was anyone else hurt?” Angelo asked

“I’m unaware at the moment how the man in the other car is, and your wife was also brought in” Sid said

“Charlie” Angelo said in panic “How is she, I need to get to her” Angelo tried to step down from the bed, but was then over come with pain as he moved.

“Charlie is fine” Sid answered and Angelo breathed a sigh of relief before once more he winced in pain as he placed his hand on his chest.

“What about the baby?” Angelo asked

“I don’t know” Sid answered “I will find out for you as soon as I can”

“No” Angelo raised his voice “I need to go see them now”

“Angelo” Sid said “Please let me treat you. As soon as you can, I will let you go and see Charlie” Angelo nodded as he let Sid finish cleaning up and dress the cut on his head. There was a knock at the door and the nurse walked in with Angelo’s X-Ray results. Sid nodded his head lightly as he examined them. “Yes, just what I thought” Sid said before looking back around Angelo. “You have bruised your ribs” Sid informed Angelo.

“Right” Angelo nodded “So what can be done about that?”

“Not a lot I’m afraid” Sid exhaled lightly. “I am afraid it’s going to be a painful time for you, apart from prescribing you with some painkillers, there’s nothing we can actually do”

“Right and how long will they take to heal?” Angelo asked

“3 to 6 weeks” Sid informed him. “Going to be a pretty painful time for you as your ribs move when you breathe, so you are going to feel this a lot”

“Yeah, you’re not kidding” Angelo said as he put his hand on his chest. “So there is nothing at all you can do?”

“Well you can take warm baths or put ice packs onto the area for around 20 minutes, a couple of times a day, which may help briefly to ease some pain, but no sorry, there’s not much we can do for you. I would try to take it as easy as possible until you are healed; I would abstain from any activity that may aggravate the bruise, so no strenuous activities, contact sports. Just take it as easy as you can and get plenty rest”

“Okay” Angelo nodded “So can I go and see my wife now?” Angelo asked

“Wait there, I will go and see what’s happening” Sid and Angelo nodded as he watched Sid leave the room.

“So are you sure you have stopped it?” Charlie asked

“Yes” Rachel nodded

“And she is okay, nothing has happened to her?”

“She perfectly fine Charlie” Rachel smiled

“And will I be able to carry to full term now?” Charlie asked

“It’s possible with plenty of rest. Just take the next few months easily. Don’t do too much” Rachel informed her and Charlie nodded understandingly before she bit her lip.

“I didn’t say it back to him” Charlie cried

“Say what back to him?” Rachel asked, as she placed Charlie’s file down at the end of the bed and walked closer to Charlie.

“That I loved him” Charlie said as a tear rolled down her cheek “This morning he told me that he loved me and I wouldn’t say it back. What if he....” Charlie trailed off “What if I never get to say it again? What if he dies remembering that the last time he said it to me, I didn’t say it back?” Charlie’s tears became heavier as Rachel put a comforting hand on her shoulder and rubbed it gently.

“Charlie, Angelo knows how much you love him. It obvious how much you love him without you having to say it, you just have to see the way you look at him to know how much love you have for him” Rachel said reassuringly and Charlie pursed her lips together before exhaling lightly.

“I just want to go see him Rachel. It must be bad news right, if they are taking so long” Charlie said, but before Rachel had a chance to reply, Sid walked into Charlie’s room ready to tell her about Angelo. Charlie looked up at Sid, and immediately a tear rolled down her cheek.

“Charlie” Sid said as he looked down at her “Angelo is going to be fine. He regained consciousness after about 10 minutes. He has bruised ribs and a cut over his left eye but apart from that he is perfectly fine” Sid said and Charlie breathed a sigh of relief.

“Can I go see him” Charlie asked and Sid and Rachel exchanged a glance with each other.

“I want to keep her on the monitor for a little longer” Rachel said and Sid nodded understandingly.

“How about I bring Angelo across to you?” Sid said and Charlie nodded lightly as a smile appeared on her face before Sid left the room. No more than a few minutes later, and Sid and Angelo walked into the room and immediately his eyes widened at seeing Charlie hooked up the monitors.

“Is everything okay with the baby” Angelo asked worriedly

“Everything is fine” Charlie smiled

“So what’s with the monitors” Angelo asked

“She went into premature labour as a result of the collision” Rachel said “But she got here quickly and we caught it early enough that we were able to stop it easily enough, but we would just like to keep her on the monitor for another few hours as a precaution” Rachel said and Angelo nodded understandingly.

“Charlie” Angelo said “I’m so sorry, I should have been more careful” Angelo said as he stepped forward and took Charlie’s hand into his.

“It wasn’t your fault” Charlie said as a tear rolled down her cheek. “God, I thought I lost you Angelo”

“I’m not going anywhere” Angelo said as he tightened his grip on Charlie.

“We’ll give you two sometime alone” Rachel said before she and Sid left the room.

“I love you Angelo. I love you so much. I’m sorry I didn’t say it back this morning, but I love you, I really do love you” Charlie cried

“Hey, hey, I know you do. I know you were just teasing this morning” Angelo said as he gently rubbed Charlie’s hand.

“But that could have been my last chance” Charlie cried “I should say it, I should always say it”

“Hey baby” Angelo said as he pulled Charlie into a hug. He winced as she wrapped her arms around him.

“Sorry, it’s that hurting you?” Charlie asked

“It’s worth it” Angelo said as he ran his hand through Charlie’s hair before placing a kiss onto her forehead.

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly, I am so sorry for the wait time for this update, I suck I know! I was away for a few days last week then I had a bit of a block, so its not been good! Secondly, I'm not so sure about this update at all, I'm just not feeling it, but hopefully you will think its okay. Thirdly, thank you all so much for the lovely comments! They mean a lot to me and really keep me going. :D So, yer hope this one was worth the wait. :unsure:

Chapter 61

Angelo sat down on the chair next to Charlie’s bed, keeping her hold of her hand. He rubbed his forehead lightly with his other hand. “So it was a car accident right?” Angelo asked and Charlie nodded.

“Yeah. You don’t remember it?” Charlie asked

“No” Angelo answered “I remember pulling out of the store car park then next thing I know I’m lying in a hospital bed with Dr Walker staring down at me” Angelo said

“Well you were knocked out, so I guess it’s understandable you’d have a bit of a blank” Charlie said

“Ben” Angelo said sounding alarmed “We were on our way to pick him up from nursery. Oh God, he’s not hurt is he?”

“No, we hadn’t picked him up when it happened. Do you really think I would be sitting here in this calm state if Ben was injured?” Charlie said

“No, I guess you wouldn’t” Angelo said “Who is going to get him from nursery then? He’ll be upset with us. He will think we have abandoned him”

“Morag is going to pick him up. Then I guess they will be coming here” Charlie said

“What about Ava? And Ruby? Should we call Ruby and let her know what has happened?”

“I don’t know” Charlie sighed. “I mean, bruised ribs aside we are fine. I don’t want to worry her. She needs this break, Angelo. If we tell her what happened she will want to come home and she needs this, she needs to be away from here for a few days”

“Charlie, you went into labour, we could have lost her today” Angelo said softly as he gently ran his hand over Charlie’s stomach.

“But we didn’t” Charlie exhaled lightly “They managed to stop it and Rachel said with a lot of rest I should be able to carry to full term”

“But Charlie -” Angelo was cut off when the door opened and the kids came running into the room, followed by Morag.

“Mummy are you having the baby?” Ava asked as she climbed up to the spare seat next to Angelo.

“No, sweetie, not today” Charlie answered as she ran her hand through her daughter’s hair.

“Oh I thought when Granny picked me up early from school it was because you had the baby” Ava said

“Look mummy I drawed a picture today” Ben said as he climbed up to the bed and sat next to Charlie.

“Wow, that’s good Benny” Charlie said as she as ruffled her son’s hair.

“Yup” Ben nodded “That’s me, and that’s you and that’s daddy and that’s Ava” Ben said as he began pointing to the people he had drawn. “And that’s Ruby and that’s Callum and that’s granny” Ben smiled as he turned his head up to face Charlie.

“And what’s that?” Charlie asked as she pointed to the corner of the picture.

“That’s our puppy” Ben answered

“Oh, but we don’t have a puppy” Charlie said

“Well we could get one” Ben grinned

“No baby, we are not getting a puppy” Charlie said

“Oh please daddy, can we?” Ava shrieked as she tugged on his arm.

“Ehm maybe we could” Angelo said as he looked down at Charlie.

“No. We are about to bring a new baby into the house, we don’t need a puppy as well” Charlie said

“No fair” Ava sighed “You’re getting to have a new baby. Why can’t we get the puppy?”

“You get the new baby too” Angelo said “You want to help mummy with the baby, don’t you”

“Yes but a puppy would be good to play with too” Ava said

“How about we get a puppy when the baby is older so she can play with it too?” Angelo suggested and Ava nodded

“Yeah, like when she is one?” Ava asked

“Or more like when she starts school” Charlie said

“That’s ages” Ava sighed

“Yeah and hopefully you will have went off the idea by then” Charlie muttered “Anyways, Morag, thanks for bringing them in” Charlie smiled as she looked up at Morag.

“Oh it wasn’t a problem, I’m just glad you and the baby are okay” Morag said as she placed her hand on Charlie’s shoulder. “And you, Angelo” Morag looked down at Angelo at smiled lightly at him. “Now have we called Ruby and let her know what’s happened here?”

“No” Charlie answered “She doesn’t need to know”

“Charlie” Morag sighed “You have to let her know what happened”

“But then she will want to come home and she needs this time away and Gina should get to spend time Cal” Charlie said

“Look, I will go and call her and I will also convince her that she should stay with Gina” Morag said. Charlie exhaled lightly before nodding her head as Morag left the room.

“Mummy, why are you in the hopsital?” Ben asked

“Because daddy crashed his car” Charlie answered and Ben eyes widened

“Did you break it daddy?” Ben asked

“I did mate” Angelo answered

“Will you take it to the car garage to fix?” Ben asked

“Yeah” Angelo nodded lightly before putting his hand over his chest and wincing.

“How will we get home?” Ava asked, concerned.

“Oh, we will have to walk” Charlie teased and Ava’s mouth opened wide

“No mummy, that’s miles and miles” Ava sighed

“But how else will we get there?” Charlie asked her daughter.

“We could get mummy’s car” Ben suggested

“But it’s at the house, how will we get it?” Charlie asked

“Ehm” Ben shrugged his shoulders “I don’t know” Angelo laughed lightly, before he winced at the pain that shot through him.

“Morag is going to drive us home” Angelo said and Ava smiled

“How long do you stay in the hopsital for?” Ben asked

“Its hospital” Ava laughed at her little brother.

“Hopsital, that’s how I said it” Ben argued. Charlie laughed lightly at her son as she ran her hand across his head.

“We don’t know yet mate, we need to wait for the doctors to tell us” Angelo answered

“Oh” Ben answered

“Dr Rachel?” Ava asked and Charlie nodded, as Sid walked into the room with Angelo’s prescription.

“Here you go” Sid said as he handed Angelo the package of pain killers. “You are free to leave now”

“Great, thanks” Angelo smiled

“Can mummy leave the hopsital too Mr Dr Walker?” Ben asked

“I don’t know mate, I’ll go and ask your mummy’s doctor for you okay” Sid said and Ben nodded as Sid left the room.

“No, Morag, I am coming home” Ruby shouted down the phone. “Well of course mum is going to say that but it doesn’t mean I have to listen to her.....Morag.......do you promise me that?.......are you sure.....okay, I will stay but you promise mum, Angelo and the baby are all okay?.......and you promise you will stay with them till I come home?....okay.....bye then” Ruby hung up the phone before walking back over to the cot and looking down at her sleeping son. Gina walked into the room and stood next to Ruby, as she watched her grandson sleeping.

“Is everything alright?” Gina asked

“Mum and Angelo were in a car crash. Morag said it wasn’t that bad, and everyone is okay, but I feel I should go home and see them, of course mum wants me to stay here, she thinks I need this break” Ruby sighed.

“I think Charlie is right” Gina said “You do look like you need this Rubes” Gina gently placed her hand on Ruby’s shoulder and Ruby exhaled as she bit her lip.

“But my parents were just in a car crash. Shouldn’t I go home?” Ruby asked

“Well Morag said they were fine, yes?” Gina asked and Ruby nodded “And Charlie wants you to stay here?”

“Yeah” Ruby answered quietly.

“Then do as your mother says” Gina said as she gently hit Ruby across the arm. “I’m sure if it was anything serious Charlie would want you right by her side. So don’t worry, and enjoy the rest of your time here, and you can go home on Saturday as planned”

“Oh, I don’t know. I feel like I should go home. Sorry, I know I just got here but...”

“How about you stay for tonight and if you still feel like you want to go home, then you can tomorrow”

“Okay, sure” Ruby smiled lightly, before Callum started to stir in his cot. She looked down at him, and smiled as she lightly rubbed his forehead.

“Good” Gina smiled “So do you fancy going into the centre, we can do some shopping?”

“Sure” Ruby nodded lightly. “He should be up soon then we can get going”

“I can walk” Charlie sighed as she was instructed to sit in the wheelchair to be wheeled out to Morag’s car.

“Charlie, just sit in the chair” Angelo said

“No, I can walk, I’m fine” Charlie said “I don’t need a chair to take me to the door. I’m not sitting in it”

“Okay” Rachel sighed “You’ll have to stay in the hospital all night then”

“Rach, I’m pretty capable of walking” Charlie said

“I know you are Charlie, but I’m sorry, it’s hospital policy that all patients leave in a wheelchair”

“I’m not going to fall over and sue you if that’s what you are worried about” Charlie said

“Mummy just do it” Ava sighed “I want to go home. Hannah Montana will be on soon”

“Yeah mummy, daddy did as he was told” Ben said, as he put his hand on Angelo’s knee, who was sitting in his wheelchair, waiting for Charlie to do the same. Charlie looked at Angelo who grinned cheekily at her before she sighed lightly, and stepped down from the bed and into the chair, before they were wheeled out to Morag’s car.

“Now kids” Rachel said “Mummy and daddy need to take it easy these next few days, mummy especially, so you two need to be on your best behaviour and be lots of help to them”

“Okay” Ava answered “I can do that”

“Me too, I will be the bestest ever” Ben said

“Good” Rachel smiled “And is Ruby going to be home to be of some help to you to?” Rachel asked

“No, she is out of town at the moment” Charlie answered as she pushed herself into a standing position and stepped away from the chair.

“I’ll be staying with them until Ruby gets back” Morag said

“No, Morag, you don’t have too. We will be fine” Charlie said

“Charlie” Morag spoke sternly. “I’m staying at that’s final. And the only way I could get Ruby to stay in the city was if I promised her that I would stay with you until she got back. And quite frankly, I would have stayed for a few days anyways, so you are stuck with me”

“Great” Angelo smiled “It’s kind of you to help, so thank you”

“Oh it’s not a problem” Morag said

“Wait, didn’t you have plans to go into the city this weekend?” Angelo asked

“I did, but I will just go at a later date” Morag said

“Granny can you drive us home now?” I want to watch Hannah Montana” Ava said as she pulled on Morag’s top.

“Sure I can darling” Morag smiled, before they all got themselves into the car.

Ruby and Gina were having a coffee in a cafe when she spotted him. She choked on her coffee as she put the mug back on the table. He was the last person she expected to see this weekend. “Are you alright Rubes?” Gina asked

“Yeah fine” Ruby coughed “It just went down the wrong way” Ruby looked at him again, and it was then when he noticed her. He stood up from his table and walked over to her. Ruby felt a little uneasy as he was approaching her. She hadn’t even had a chance to think about what she wanted from him yet, she went to the city to try to avoid seeing him till she made up her mind, but yet there he was standing before her.

“Rubes, hey” Jay smiled as he leaned forward to kiss her but she quickly turned her head to the side as Jay’s mouth brushed past her cheek.

“Hey” Ruby said quietly.

“Hello” Gina said as she looked Jay up and down. “I’m Gina” Gina said as she held her hand out for Jay to shake.

“Jay” Jay smiled at Gina. “So, Rubes, how have you been?” Jay asked

“Eh yeah good” Ruby answered

“So this is what you cancelled on me this morning for was it?”

“Eh, yeah” Ruby answered

“Cancelled on him?” Gina asked

“Yeah, sorry Gina, Jay is.......my surfing teacher” Ruby said “I’ve been getting lessons. Well, I’ve had one so far”

“Surfing teacher?” Jay questioned “Rubes am I not a bit more than that?”

“More?” Gina questioned

“Ehm, well he is a friend too. He’s my friend” Ruby said as he looked up at Jay and gave him a look.

“Well nice to meet you Jay, But if you excuse me, I need to use the ladies room” Gina said before she stood up and walked across the cafe to the toilets.

“Just a friend?” Jay questioned

“Well what else are we?” Ruby asked

“Well I thought we were dating, you know, that you were becoming my girlfriend. I mean we have slept together, I thought were going in that direction”

Ruby bit her lip as Jay spoke and she thought back to the beginning of the week when that happened with Jay, that feeling of instant regret after it happened. “I don’t know” Ruby sighed “What are you doing here anyways? Ruby asked keen to change the subject.

“Came to see my supplier” Jay answered “Since you cancelled, I thought I would try and get a meeting with him. I’m thinking of changing my board supplier”

“Oh okay” Ruby said

“Yeah, not very exciting” Jay answered “So who is that lady you are with?”

“Ehm, Xav’s mum” Ruby answered

“Oh I get it now then. That’s why I’m just the ‘surf teacher’” Jay said “You’re not ready to tell his mum you’ve moved on, I get that”

“Yeah, something like that” Ruby smiled awkwardly as Gina made her way back to the table. “Sorry, Gina can we go back to the house now. I want to call mum” Ruby said and Gina nodded.

“Eh yeah, sure” Gina said as placed her hands onto the buggy, before looking round at Jay who’s mobile had began to ring. He looked down at the screen before exhaling lightly.

“I better go to. Bye Rubes. Oh and I will be in touch about another surf lesson” Jay said before disappearing out of the cafe.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, so I have an update, finally! :) Although I am a little unsure about it.... :unsure: But hopefully you all think it is okay. Let me know what you think :)

Chapter 62

It was now 2 weeks after the car crash, and although Angelo was still in some pain with his bruised ribs, he was almost back to normal. After giving the police a statement about what happened, and then exchanging insurance details with the other man - who had been intoxicated at the time of the crash – everything got sorted out without fuss, although Charlie was becoming increasingly annoyed with how Angelo was fussing over her and not letting her do anything in the house. Although it was two weeks later than planned, Charlie and Angelo were also finally getting their meal out at Reefton Lakes.

“Are you not ready yet?” Angelo asked as he walked into the bedroom and watched as Charlie flung the item of clothing in her hands down on the floor.

“No, I am not. I’m not going” Charlie sighed as she sat down on the edge of the bed.

“What? Charlie, why not?” Angelo asked as he sat down next to her and placed a hand on her back.

“I have nothing to wear” Charlie said. Angelo looked around the room and the piles of clothes that were lying about the floor and then up to the wardrobe.

“Charlie, you have plenty of clothes you can wear” Angelo said as he turned himself round on the bed. Charlie looked up at him and exhaled lightly, as Angelo tucked her hair behind her hair.

“I have nothing that fits over this” Charlie said as she pointed to her stomach.

“Yes you do” Angelo said “You bought lots of nice stuff that day we went shopping before the crash. What about that red one that you bought?” Angelo suggested and Charlie pulled a face, looking most appalled with Angelo's suggestion.

“Angelo, that’s just a sun dress, I can’t wear that to a fancy restaurant in Reefton”

“Why not?” Angelo questioned “It fits you and you feel comfortable in it, what does it matter what you are wearing?”

“Because it’s too casual” Charlie sighed

“Charlie I couldn’t care if you wore sweats and a hoodie to dinner. Please just put something on so we can go”

“So you want me to look like a complete scruff?” Charlie spat

“No, you don’t ever. You always look hot” Angelo said and Charlie smiled lightly as Angelo gently brushed his hand down her cheek. “Now can you please just pick something out so we can go out for dinner?” Charlie looked down at the pile of clothes on the floor then up to her wardrobe and exhaled lightly. “Okay, I will pick something for you then” Angelo said as he stood up from the bed and made his way over to the wardrobe.

“Oh God, what is he going to come up with” Charlie muttered as she stood up and watched as he pulled out a dress from the wardrobe.

“Wear this” Angelo said as he pulled out a purple strapless dress “I love you in this one. And it’s kinda floaty so it should fit over Peanut no problem” Angelo said as he took a step back gently put his hand on Charlie’s stomach.

“It has a low cut back” Charlie said, disapproving of his choice.

“So what’s wrong with showing a little flesh?” Angelo questioned. Charlie looked down as she bit her lip.

“Nothing…..it’s just more the part I will be showing” Charlie answered quietly as she kept her gaze firmly on the floor.

“Babe” Angelo exhaled lightly as he placed his hand on Charlie’s chin and gently pushed her head up to face him. “It doesn’t matter about your burns. No-one is going to stare at them”

“C’mon Angelo, people stare” Charlie said

“Okay, so you can wear this then” Angelo said as he pulled out a thin black cardie from the wardrobe. “Or keep your hair down; it’ll cover your back”

“I was planning on putting it up” Charlie answered as she took the dress and cardie from Angelo.

“Keep it down, please. I like it better down” Angelo said as he tucked her hair behind her ear.

“Okay” Charlie smiled “I’ll keep it down then”

“Great” Angelo smiled “Now you get yourself ready, we need to leave soon”

“Yes sir” Charlie mocked. Angelo laughed lightly before he wrapped his arms around her waist.

“You know you should probably get this room tidied up too. You get annoyed with Ava if she leaves all her clothes lying over the floor like this” Angelo grinned

“Well it’s a good job Ava’s not here to see it” Charlie replied before she lightly kissed Angelo’s lips. Angelo responded and the kiss became more passionate.

“Eww, please don’t do that in front of me” Ruby said as she walked into the room.

“Eh, you walked into our bedroom Rubes” Charlie said as she pulled back from Angelo and looked down at her daughter.

“Right, yeah….well that’s still something I don’t want to see” Ruby shuddered. “Anyways, what time are you heading out?”

“As soon as this one gets ready” Angelo said as pointed to Charlie “We might still make our reservation in time, if she is quick”

“Well you stop distracting me” Charlie teased

“Me? I didn’t” Angelo said before placing another kiss on Charlie’s lips.

“Mummy, mummy” Ben shouted as he ran into the room “Tell Ruby to take me in the pool”

“No” Ruby shouted, rather louder than intended “I can’t take you in the pool tonight Benny”

“Why” Ben scowled

“Because I have Callum to look after” Ruby said trying to think up an excuse, other than that she simply didn’t want to.

“But he can come too and you can put him in the floaty ring thing” Ben said

“Ben, no, we are not going swimming we can do something else” Ruby said

“Mummy, tell her” Ben sulked as he pulled on Charlie’s top.

“Hey, you listen to Ruby tonight and do as she says and daddy will take you swimming in the morning okay” Charlie said as she lightly ruffled her son’s hair.

“And you too” Ben said

“Yeah, me too” Charlie said. Ben looked up at Charlie as if he was deep in thought before he shook his head.

“No, I want to go now” Ben screamed before he ran out of the room. Charlie went after him but Angelo grabbed onto her wrist, and stopped her from walking.

“I’ll go talk to him” Angelo said “You get ready” Charlie nodded lightly as Angelo and then Ruby left the room to allow Charlie to get herself ready for their time out. Sometime later and Charlie walked down the stairs to find Ben sitting happily playing with one of his Thomas train sets with Ruby. “Yey, you’re ready” Angelo grinned as he stood up for the couch and walked over to Charlie. “About time, I was beginning to think you were going to stand me up on this date you were taking so long”

“Shut up” Charlie said as she lightly hit Angelo’s chest, causing him to wince.

“You know that still hurts” Angelo said

“Oh don’t be such a baby” Charlie said as she wrapped her arms around his waist and planted a kiss on his lips.

“Goaaaaaal” Ben shouted as he ran passed Ruby and picked up the soccer ball. “That’s 5 to me and none to you” Ben danced around Ruby as he spoke.

“You’re just too good Benny” Ruby said as she held onto her little brother, trying to get him to stand still.

“Yup” Ben giggled “Can I go swimming now as my treat for winning?”

“No” Ruby answered sharply “Daddy is going to take you swimming in the morning remember”

“I wanted to go now just” Ben sulked

“Well you can’t” Ruby answered “But I think there is a big bowl of chocolate ice-cream with your name on it in the house” Ruby said and Ben’s eyes lit up and the news.

“Really” Ben asked

“Yeah” Ruby nodded

“Wow” Ben squealed as he ran back into the direction of the house.

“You know bribery isn’t cool” A voice said and Ruby jumped back startled at hearing a voice. Ruby tentatively lifted her head, and was slightly relieved when she saw it was only Jay standing before her.

“I’m not bribing him” Ruby said “I merely offered him some chocolate ice-cream”

“Which you know is his favourite and he’s getting that offered if he goes back into the house and stops going on about swimming” Jay said

“What are you doing here anyways?” Ruby asked “You’re like trespassing or stalking or something”

“I just came to see you” Jay answered “You’ve been ignoring me for the last 2 weeks and I want to know why”

“I just…..” Ruby paused “Things have just been a bit hard at home with mum and Angelo both having to take it easy after the crash. I’ve been helping them out, so I haven’t had so much free time” Ruby improvised. Truth was she just didn’t want to see Jay anymore but was finding it hard to find a way to tell him, mostly because she really liked him, but she just wasn’t ready for the whole dating thing.

“Right” Jay nodded “And where is your mum and dad now?”

“They went out for a meal” Ruby answered

“Oh, so they are all better now then?”

“Getting there” Ruby answered

“Good” Jay smiled “So maybe we can hang out again. I’ve missed you and little Cal” Jay smiled as he pointed to the buggy. “How are you mate” Jay cooed as he crouched down next to the buggy and stuck his head into it.

“He’s asleep. Leave him” Ruby said as he put her hands onto the buggy and started to walk back towards the house.

“What’s through this gate?” Jay asked as he stopped in front of the front door and turned to his side.

“The swimming pool” Ruby answered as Jay began to open the gate.

“Oh cool, maybe once the kids are in bed we could go for a late night swim” Jay grinned as he looked up at Ruby.

“Yeah, I don’t think so” Ruby said

“Oh well, worth a try” Jay laughed as he turned to walk into the house.

“Shut the gate” Ruby shouted and Jay exhaled lightly before he turned around pulled on the gate’s handle before walking away again, unknown to them, leaving the gate slightly ajar. He followed Ruby up into the house to find Ben waiting patiently at the kitchen table for his ice-cream.

“Oh hello Jay” Ben smiled up at him “Why are you here?”

“I just came to see you sister” Jay smiled

“Yeah, maybe you should just go. I’m supposed to be babysitting, so we can meet another time” Ruby said

“No let Jay stay for some ice-cream” Ben said “Please Ruby let him stay. He is my friend too” Ben pouted as he looked up at Ruby.

“Yeah, Ruby let me stay for some ice-cream” Jay also pouted, before he gently hit Ruby’s side. Ruby stared at Jay and looked deep into his eyes. She was already falling for him, so coming to the decision that she wasn’t ready to move on from Xavier was a hard one for her. Jay smiled lightly at her, as he watched her staring into his eyes and Ruby bit her lip before exhaling lightly.

“Okay, you can stay for a little bit” Ruby said before she smiled softly at him.

Charlie and Angelo got out of the car and started to walk down the drive way to the front door of their house. “I had a really lovely night Angelo” Charlie smiled

“Yeah me too, once we finally got out” Angelo said

“Well sorry for wanting to look nice, and feel comfortable.....you know I am carrying your daughter and sometimes she doesn’t make me feel good” Charlie said

“I know, I’m sorry. But think how great it’ll be once she arrives and we have a new baby” Angelo said as he ran his hand over Charlie’s bump. “You only have 3 more months to go, you’re almost there”

“Yeah, only three months. That’s a long time to still be pregnant for” Charlie said

“But once she is born you will say she was worth every minute of it” Angelo said and Charlie raised her eyebrows slightly before wrapping her arms around Angelo’s waist.

“Oh I will, will I?” Charlie asked

“Yup” Angelo laughed lightly before he planted a kiss on Charlie’s lips. “Now c’mon lets go and see if this son of ours has been a good boy for Rubes” Angelo said before they walked up the path and Charlie opened the front door.

“What’s that gate doing left open?” Angelo asked as he stared round at the gate that lead to the swimming pool and patio area.

“I don’t know, maybe it was just the wind or something” Charlie said as she stepped into the house.

“Charlie” Angelo said as he took hold of her arm to stop her walking further into the house. Charlie sighed lightly before she turned to face him.

“What?”

“Does it seem windy to you?” Angelo asked and Charlie shook her head. “It’s always kept shut, you know it is. We can’t risk the kids getting into the pool on their own, especially Ben” Angelo said before he started walk towards the pool. Charlie sighed before she followed after him. Angelo stopped in his tracks as he saw Ben lying face-down in the pool, his soccer ball floating nearby. “Oh God, Ben” Angelo yelled as he ran and jumped into the pool and pulled his son out to safety. Charlie stood frozen on the spot as she watched Angelo giving their son CPR. “Charlie, call an ambulance” Angelo yelled frantically as he looked up her, but Charlie just stood there, unable to move. “Call an ambulance” Angelo yelled again, but once again Charlie just stood there frozen to the spot.

Archived