Darts

Guest xGlowingAngelx

Firstly, I wasn't sure whether this should be in General Chat or Television, but I thought since it's a hobby as much as a sport, it would fit easier here. Ifnot, can a mod move it please? Thanks! :D

I only started watching it last year (I think it was) during a Phil Taylor vs Simon Whitlock game, and I fell in love with it. As much as I've read a lot of flack about him, Phil Taylor is still my favourite.

The current Premier League run is interesting, though I can't see anyone other than Anderson winning it at the minute. Winning all 4 matches he's played is pretty good so far. Though Taylor has only lost one. Tonights match, where they play one another, should certainly be interesting. I do like Anderson and he's playing well, but my loyalties lie with Taylor. Oh well, it should be a good match, if Taylor can stay on form.

Though my loyalties lie with Phil, I wouldn't mind Anderson winning the league. He's playing really well thus far. The only match I think I'd predict tonight is the Webster vs Jenkins match, which I think Webster will breeze through. He may have only won one more than Jenkins, but he's a great player! Jenkins doesn't excite me all that much.

So.... anybody else a fan of Darts? Either playing or just watching?

I'm hopeless at playing darts (most darts I throw tend to end up on the floor), but I really enjoy watching the BDO championships at the Lakeside every January. I'm not particularly keen on the premier league, but I was glad to see Phil Taylor come runner-up in Sports Personality of the Year '10 - he may not have much of a personality, but he deserves some recognition amongst the mainstream sports stars.

Very happy Taylor won the Taylor vs Anderson match. I do like Anderson (and he comes across as nice guy!), but my Darts loyalties lie with Phil. They gave a very good game though.

I'd love to learn how to play it too. We have a Dart board at home (Have done pretty much forever) but I rarely use it. The darts I throw usually end up in the wall or on the floor. :lol: (Though, I did have a fluke the other day and threw a dart that landed right in Triple 20. I was might impressed, even if I know I'll never do that again :P) It usually ends up being used during family nights in where the whole family is round. (New years eve pretty much always turns into a Darts game :P)

Next weeks' match between Anderson and Lewis could be amazing. As much as I mainly watch for Phil, I'll be looking forward to that. Lewis may be the current world champion, but with the way Anderson has been playing, I'm not sure I'd be comfortable putting my money either way. Fingers crossed for a great game though. :D

alreetlike, you should give it a go!! Though I understand why you'd feel that way. I'd love to learn too, but I'd rather save myself the embarrassment :P.

Aww, it could be worth it just for the fun. :D

Anyone watch the matches tonight? I only tuned it half way through the Taylor vs. Whitlock match, so caught the end of that and the Lewis vs Anderson match. Lewis vs. Anderson was appauling. The behaviour from the crowd was disgraceful and I was rather uncomfortable watching it. The sad thing is, Lewis was being abused (verbally and physically if the coing throwing counts!) because the crowd were mainly from Scotland and were supporting Anderson, but they just showed themselves up and I don't think Anderson was too impressed either.

I think the commentators (and my Dad!) were right, and Anderson deliberately missed a few finishes just to try and shut the crowd up (since he told them to be quiet about three times and they didn't.) I'm not the hugest fan of Lewis by any means, but he didn't deserve the abuse her got there. Glad he won, but as I say, I'm not sure it was entirely genuine, and I have huge respect to Anderson and Lewis for rising above it in the end. I wouldn't have blamed either of them (particularly Lewis) if they'd walked off.

• 4 months later...

I'm not normally one for bumping threads with a double post, and I apologise mods, but I have to ask.....

Did anyone watch the World Matchplay today????

:o That Hamilton vs. Whitlock game!!!!!!!

Talk about a comeback. (The greatest ever, it seems) Whitlock should have had that wrapped up when it was 15-8. He stood such an amazing chance at one point with a potential double tops checkout, but I think he just threw the dart too fast and sadly it went too high. Once he missed the first couple of chances, I think he was too focused and it ended up blurring his oppurtunities. I think Hamilton picked up on that and snatched the chance to pull it back each time, which he did. Hamilton deserved to win the match, particularly after such a sensational comeback, but Whitlock didn't deserve to lose it. I know that doesn't make much sense, but it's quite hard to explain. I'm happy for Hamilton, and I'm sure he'll be on a real high from it, deservedly so. I'm also gutted for Whitlock though. Apparently, he left the place in tears. :(.

Many are now convinced it will take a long time for Whitlock to get over it, and sadly I agree. I just hope he does recover and comes back eventually with a new ounce of fight, because I love watching Whitlock play (Personally, he's one of my favourites), and it would be so heartbreaking if this knocks anything out of him long term.

Not feeling overly confident now about Taylor vs. Hamilton in the Semi-Final. I'll probably be on edge the whole game. I do hope Taylor wins though. Then I'd like to see Wade win the other Semi Final against Lewis, because Wade is playing brilliantly at the minute, and the idea of a Taylor vs. Wade final is so exciting! :lol:

I know that doesn't make much sense, but it's quite hard to explain. I'm happy for Hamilton, and I'm sure he'll be on a real high from it, deservedly so. I'm also gutted for Whitlock though. Apparently, he left the place in tears. :(.

Shows the truth in my signature. :wink:

I throw a few darts in my bedroom, but I've never done anything remotely competitive except in the 6th Year room at school.

I know that doesn't make much sense, but it's quite hard to explain. I'm happy for Hamilton, and I'm sure he'll be on a real high from it, deservedly so. I'm also gutted for Whitlock though. Apparently, he left the place in tears. :(.

Shows the truth in my signature. :wink:

I throw a few darts in my bedroom, but I've never done anything remotely competitive except in the 6th Year room at school.

Absolutely. Hopefully Whitlock will recover from it and bounce back soon.

And now we have our finalists. James Wade vs. Phil Taylor. I was quite nervous for the Taylor vs. Hamilton match, given Hamilton's form, but Phil managed to stay on form. All credit to Hamilton, he's played superbly throughout the whole matchplay, but my support lies with Phil.

Having said that, I don't think I'm going to be distraught either way who wins. I'm always happy when Taylor wins, but if Wade maintains his current standard, he could prove quite a challenge. I'm expecting some brilliant darts from them both.

Archived