Strong earthquake leaves NZ trembling

Guest Barbara

Strong earthquake leaves NZ trembling

# NewsCore

# September 04, 2010 4:06AM

A STRONG earthquake has caused widespread damage and power cuts across New Zealand's second-largest city.

Shaken residents told how they cowered under doorways as the earth moved violently for what seemed as long as a minute.

The quake's magnitude was revised downwards slightly from an initial estimate of 7.4 to 7.2, the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) said.

However, it was powerful enough to topple chimneys and walls and send frightened locals scurrying out of their beds to safety when the tremor hit at 4.30am local time.

USGS experts said the quake struck New Zealand's South Island 19 miles (30 km) from the island's largest city, Christchurch, at a depth of 10 miles (16.1 km).

There were reports of widespread damage and power cuts in Christchurch and the tremor was felt as far away as Wellington, on the North Island.

However there were no initial reports of deaths or serious injuries.

"Oh my God. There is a row of shops completely demolished right in front of me," Christchurch resident Colleen Simpson said, according to stuff.co.nz.

Kevin O'Hanlon, another shaken resident, described it as unbelievable.

He said: "I was awake to go to work and then just heard this massive noise and, boom, it was like the house got hit. It just started shaking. I've never felt anything like it."

Locals described seeing toppled chimneys, cracks appearing in brickwork and ceilings and collapsed walls, the news website said.

Grant Shimmin, a resident of Temuka, 90 miles (145 km) south of Christchurch, said the quake seemed to go on for as long as a a minute.

"It sounded like some objects were falling around the house, although we've not found anything broken," he said.

"My daughters ... were both woken quickly and called out, obviously feeling pretty scared, and we huddled under doorways."

The Press, a Christchurch newspaper, said the quake was felt through much of the South Island and knocked out power across most of Christchurch. There were also reports of a series of aftershocks.

No tsunami threat was issued for the region.

Source

----

I hope all our NZ members, their families and friends are all alright and didn't suffer too much damage.

Stuff.co.nz link

Didn't feel a thing here in Wellington,I was totally oblivious until I got to work at 6:30 and my workmates asked if I felt it. Christchurch doesn't get a lot of earthquakes, compared to Wellington and we have a fault line running through the city.

My Parents in Dunedin felt it, and they are probably going to ring me soon to let me know that the rellies in Chch are ok (if they got to ring them before phones got turned off).

(Random statement, Christchurch is the biggest city in the South Island, but not the second largest population wise in the whole of NZ(it's Wellington).

I didn't feel a thing but some people here did.

Very lucky that only a couple of people have been injured. Just a lot of damage to Christchurch. It will take them quite a while to clean it all up and get water and power back up and running.

Archived