Lady Gaga

Guest adellejefferiesxox

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hate her, hate her, hate her. A total hack with no musical talent whatsoever, who uses "outrageous" video clips and ugly outfits to create "controversies" that serve to draw far more attention to her than her (lack of) talent deserves. This is not a new phenomenon in music. She's really no different to Marilyn Manson (and about a million others I've surely forgotten about) and he sucked too, although he at least had one or two decent songs.

Hate her, hate her, hate her. A total hack with no musical talent whatsoever, who uses "outrageous" video clips and ugly outfits to create "controversies" that serve to draw far more attention to her than her (lack of) talent deserves. This is not a new phenomenon in music. She's really no different to Marilyn Manson (and about a million others I've surely forgotten about) and he sucked too, although he at least had one or two decent songs.

no musical talent??...I agree with your point on creating controversies using outrageous video clips..but doesnt the majority of artists?.. Anyway thats an argument for another day. To say she has no musical talent what-so-ever is a bit of an exaggeration.

no musical talent??...I agree with your point on creating controversies using outrageous video clips..but doesnt the majority of artists?.. Anyway thats an argument for another day. To say she has no musical talent what-so-ever is a bit of an exaggeration.

No it isn't. She (he?) is entirely gimmick and publicity. The actual music is awful. If you heard one of her songs on the radio and didn't know who it was you'd think "this song sucks, why are they playing this on the radio?" I've loved plenty of bands and performers who put a lot of theatrics and controversy into their music and image (Prince, the Doors, Jimi Hendrix, Public Enemy, Tupac, Pink Floyd, hell I don't even mind Madonna). The difference being that at the end of the day, all these artists actually made great music. Yes, even Madonna from time to time. That's the difference between them and a total talentless, substance-less, creation of hype, marketing and image like Britney Spears (and Lady Ga Ga). That's why all the bands / performers I mentioned have long careers and legacies (for lack of a better word) that endure, and why Britney is whoring herself and her private life to fewer and fewer people who care these days. She just never had any talent or musical ability to fall back on when people got bored of her antics. And that's why in a few years Lady Ga Ga will be washed up and begging her publicist to put her into a reality tv show with a bunch of other "fifteen minutes of fame" D-listers no-one cares about anymore.

No it isn't. She (he?) is entirely gimmick and publicity. The actual music is awful. If you heard one of her songs on the radio and didn't know who it was you'd think "this song sucks, why are they playing this on the radio?" I've loved plenty of bands and performers who put a lot of theatrics and controversy into their music and image (Prince, the Doors, Jimi Hendrix, Public Enemy, Tupac, Pink Floyd, hell I don't even mind Madonna). The difference being that at the end of the day, all these artists actually made great music. Yes, even Madonna from time to time. That's the difference between them and a total talentless, substance-less, creation of hype, marketing and image like Britney Spears (and Lady Ga Ga). That's why all the bands / performers I mentioned have long careers and legacies (for lack of a better word) that endure, and why Britney is whoring herself and her private life to fewer and fewer people who care these days. She just never had any talent or musical ability to fall back on when people got bored of her antics. And that's why in a few years Lady Ga Ga will be washed up and begging her publicist to put her into a reality tv show with a bunch of other "fifteen minutes of fame" D-listers no-one cares about anymore.

I'm not a fan of Britney so I wont argue on her behalf! lol...:P

I can understand why you would have that perception of Gaga, because when she first burst onto the scene I thought the same! And I'm not your typical pop fan, believe me! I consider myself to have a very good taste in music- Like you I love The Doors, Hendrix and Pink Floyd, and also Bowie, Zeppelin, Noisettes, Ellie Goulding, Florence...ect. I HATE the likes of Christina Aguelira (sp) Britney, Timberlake, Westlife...ect. But after I did my research on Gaga, I found she did actually have musical talent! She's been writing songs since she was a teen, she has a wicked voice and she's an excellent pianist. I love her songs, they are so catchy, and dont feel guilty for liking them after reading up on Gaga's background. I also read that she was handpicked by the record company to carry out the whole 'Gaga fantasy' and that she's rather sit in and read a book than go out and get smashed. But then again, you cant really go by that. At the end of the day, she is a great preformer, and thats the main thing I suppose... In fact, she is actually being compared as the female Bowie. If you dont like her music I dont recommend trying to like it, but maybe try give her a little more credit? :)

The great thing about music is that the concept of "great music" depends on the listener. (I personally think Tupac absolutely sucked and I don't think "rap" is that great of a musical form but that's my opinion) and I did hear her music before she started getting her legions of fans and didn't think "this is crap, why are they playing it" I liked it enough to get the album, which I liked even more. Don't presume what people will or won't think, there's no accounting for personal taste. The thing with Britney is when she actually makes an album the bs surrounding her personal life doesn't bother the people that like her music. But with Lady Ga Ga, I've heard the woman sing live without any audio help or background music and play the piano to accompany it. She can sing, whether you like the music or not is irrelevant when you hear her hit the notes she can. All great artists in history have had their critics saying they won't be around long, we'll have to wait and see whether she defies that.

I HATE the likes of Christina Aguelira (sp) Britney, Timberlake, Westlife...ect. But after I did my research on Gaga, I found she did actually have musical talent!

Are you implying Christina and JT don't have talent?

The great thing about music is that the concept of "great music" depends on the listener. (I personally think Tupac absolutely sucked and I don't think "rap" is that great of a musical form but that's my opinion) and I did hear her music before she started getting her legions of fans and didn't think "this is crap, why are they playing it" I liked it enough to get the album, which I liked even more. Don't presume what people will or won't think, there's no accounting for personal taste. The thing with Britney is when she actually makes an album the bs surrounding her personal life doesn't bother the people that like her music. But with Lady Ga Ga, I've heard the woman sing live without any audio help or background music and play the piano to accompany it. She can sing, whether you like the music or not is irrelevant when you hear her hit the notes she can. All great artists in history have had their critics saying they won't be around long, we'll have to wait and see whether she defies that.

I HATE the likes of Christina Aguelira (sp) Britney, Timberlake, Westlife...ect. But after I did my research on Gaga, I found she did actually have musical talent!

Are you implying Christina and JT don't have talent?

No. I see how that assumption could be implied from my comment, but what I meant to say was that I dislike the JT and Christina music genre because I really dislike 'pop' music. Of course they have musical talent! They can sing, cant they? And both singers are examples of excellent preformers! I just opt to go for more what I deem to be passionate and 'true' music. Please dont attack me for that comment, I just think that Pop music is for the purpose of dancing and having a good time, you know? Like you can dance around to a JT song, where as I find you can truly connect to a Katie Melua song? What I was trying to imply was that at first I considered Gaga to be another artist who fitted into the pop genre (her songs are purely for entertainment and party purposes) but after I did my research, I found that some their was a true meaning to her music?

That probably didnt make ANY SHRED of sense, but I really cant convey what I'm trying to say! Lol...

At the end of the day, everyone has their own opinion.

I think any sort of music has meaning. Songwriters often talk about writing music as a way of expressing what they are feeling at the time. Different people have different tastes in music, though so we find different meanings in them.

I think Christina has one of the best female voices right now. I also find that her music has a lot of meaning and if you listen to it knowing what she went through as a child then I think you can understand it a bit better.

Archived